Habs on a roll heading into New Jersey

Most of the Canadiens enjoyed a day away form the ice Tuesday following Monday’s 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre.

Only eight players skated in Brossard Tuesday morning before the team headed to New Jersey to face the Devils again Wednesday night (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Goalie Peter Budaj was joined by Ryan White, Michael Bournival, Tomas Plekanec, Brandon Prust, Francis Bouillon, George Parros and Douglas Murray.

The Canadiens have a busy week with four games in six nights, starting with Monday’s win over the Devils. After the trip to New Jersey, the Canadiens return home to face the Boston Bruins Thursday night and the Buffalo Sabres Saturday night.

The Canadiens are on a roll, going 8-1-2 in their last 11 games, while allowing only 19 goals during that span. Excluding shootouts, they have not allowed more than two goals in any of those games.

Max Pacioretty has scored eight goals in the last seven games, while David Desharnais has eight points (two goals, six assists) in his last seven games. Desharnais had only one assist in his first 21 games this season.

“He’s a great playmaker,” Pacioretty told reporters after the game about his linemate Desharnais. “He’s the most generous player I know, and he’s always doing his best to make you look good on the ice.”

Goalie Carey Price, who has a 12-8-2 record with one shutout, has allowed two goals or less in his last eight starts, lowering his goals-against average to 2.00, ranking him sixth in the NHL, and his save percentage to .937, ranking him third in the NHL.

Coach Michel Therrien did not speak with the media on Tuesday, but Budaj is expected to start in goal for the Canadiens in New Jersey. Budaj, who has a 4-1-1 record with one shutout, has a 1.63 goals-against average and .939 save percentage.

The Canadiens have the second-best defensive record in the NHL, allowing an average of 2.00 goals per game. The only team with a better defensive record is the Bruins, who give up 1.96 goals per game.

On offence, the Canadiens rank 14th, scoring an average of 2.68 goals per game. The Chicago Blackhawks have the No. 1 offence, averaging 3.50 goals per game.

In other news, the Canadiens signed free-agent forward Jack Nevins to a three-year contract on Tuesday running through the 2015-16 season. In 30 games with the QMJHL’s Charlottetown Islanders, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound forward has 11-19-30 totals, 85 penalty minutes and is plus-7.

While there was no official media availability from the Habs on Tuesday, George Parros did speak with The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell about the Movember fund-raising campaign for men’s health issues.

Parros led Movember fundraising among participating NHL players with a tally of $8,729. The Canadiens had raised as of Tuesday afternoon $59,493 in donations.

“I was really impressed with the organization-wide support we had for Movember here,” Parros said. “Obviously, from our owner on down, Geoff Molson raised an incredible amount. Our GM (Marc Bergevin) got involved as well. Everyone was growing moustaches. We had a contest with the Canucks. We had all sorts of things going on, so it’s a great team effort here.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Devils preview, NHL.com

Habs make most of few chances against Devils, by Pat Hickey

Desharnais has found his game, by Dave Stubbs

Galchenyuk bounces back from Saturday’s benching, by Pat Hickey

Number-crunchers, Canadiens.com

Self-made men with Habs, Canadiens.com

Canadiens sign forward Nevins, Canadiens.com

Ken Dryden on the pressure of playing in Montreal (video), SI.com

Subban takes goal away from Jagr (video), NHL.com

How would Subban’s saves appear on a stats sheet? TSN.ca

Should Subban be named to Team Canada? TSN.ca

Olympic extension a big help for Team Canada coach Babcock, ESPN.com

Canadian teams need to pick up pace, montrealgazette.com

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Goal-scoring a problem with Devils, The Star-Ledger

Rogers needs more Don Cherry, not less, SI.com

Habs win Movember bet with Canucks, TSN.ca

Junior Team Canada has new look, by Pat Hickey

1. Stevie.Ray says:

Finally, after years of waiting and begging, the Canadiens finally find that big body, top line forward that plays a power forward style game, and will be the face of the Wheeling Nailers franchise for years to come. Welcome Jack Nevin. I bet you have good character.

2. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Another note about Eklund: earlier in the season he was banging on about an imminent deal between the Habs and Nucks. Which turned out to be… SFA. Eklund is as much an NHL insider as I am. 0%

3. Phil C says:

If the Habs beat the Devils tomorrow, the game against Boston will be for first in the division. Assuming everyone is still healthy, who plays?

I’m not sure I would play Parros against Boston. Their heavyweights are Lucic and Chara, neither of who would fight Parros. I also don’t think it would be wise to match Parros up against Lucic’s line if Parros was playing on the 4th line. I think I would stick White back in instead. That way they would have four lines to roll in a back-to-back game. The Habs have Murray to take care of Lucic, while Moen or Prust can handle Thornton. Looking forward to it, should be a good one.

• johnnylarue says:

I agree. Boston’s fourth line can play, and I think we stand a better chance against the Big Bad Bozos if we can match them on that front.

• 24 Cups says:

Then why did we sign Parros? What good is he if he can’t play against Boston, Toronto and Buffalo?

• Phil C says:

I see Parros needed for Toronto, Ottawa, and Buffalo, teams with super-heavyweight goons whom the Habs have to play a lot in the regular season and who could be a playoff opponent in a divisional playoff system.

Boston really does not have a super-heavyweight goon, so I don’t really see the need for Parros.

• Jed says:

There’s no way Lucic plays as big as he can with Parros in the line-up. Even if he isn’t matched up with him. And I don’t think you can say that about Murray or Prust. I’m thinking you gotta play Parros against Boston.

4. DipsyDoodler says:

There have been pickpockets in Rome and Paris since the first century BC.

5. Luke says:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It has been a slice.

Enjoy the evening. I’m off for Pho… mmmm soup you eat with chopsticks…

6. munch17 says:

If Habs are planning to move anyone hopefully DD is at the top of the list.
    Because maybe his value has gone up.
    We know that when given the top forwards on his wings and primo minutes he can perform ( sometimes).
    The problem is that the package would have to include MaxPac who I happen to like.
    So they would need to get a big talented top six forward in return.

7. Reflektor says:

Bergevin wouldn’t be doing his job if he wasn’t open to ‘player opportunities’. Mackenzie was very careful to say that other teams are calling Bergevin, some asking about Pacioretty. Although not Nonis’ cousin, Eklund is a Dregger minus the big network behind him.

8. Habfan10912 says:

Just sitting down to read my morning paper – The Middletown Times Herald Record. Headline on page 53.

“Galcheyuk powers Canadiens past Devils”.

Sigh.

9. Maritime Ronn says:

Regarding the concern of the Bruins being rested and the Habs possibly being ‘tired’ next Thursday….

Perhaps that may all be a comfortable excuse myth, as the following example may impact those notions. (injuries excluded)
    There are several others…

Surely all would agree that there is no other type of hockey that is as intense as Playoff Hockey from both a physical and mental aspect – certainly A Stanley Cup Final..

Looking at the Hawks former Calder Cup winner and Olympian Gold Medalist Dman Duncan Keith and his Cup performance.
    During 55 days of incredible Playoff hockey last spring, Keith played in 22 games – several that went into OT, with staggering numbers concerning Time on Ice, with little rest between.

His average ‘Minutes per Game’ was a mind boggling 27:37, yet some of those minutes played per game were off the charts:

Keith played 48:40 in one game (no typo), preceded by a 40:12 game, then followed by 6 Stanley Cup Final games including that 48:40 game…. followed by 5 games of 32:09-26:21-32:37-27:45-28:51 – those last 6 games in 13 nights.

There should be no ‘tired’ excuses vs. Boston on Thursday.
    If anything, advantage Habs.

( By the way, and while Habs fans won’t like this, Chara actually played 42 more minutes than Duncan Keith in exactly the same amount of 22 games during last year’s playoffs with an Average ToI of 29:32)

• Bripro says:

Hi Ron,
      I don’t know if you read my reply on the previous thread, but regarding Gino Odjick (repost)
      @Maritime Ronn
      Ron, I wasn’t kicking Gino at all. Like Burly said, I’m not like that. If anything, my heart went out to the guy, because he truly looked confused. And this from a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve and gave it his all during every shift he played.
      I felt bad for him and today, I was just pointing out what I saw.
      I apologize if it came across the wrong way.

• donmarco says:

I suspect that Parros will be very well rested by Thursday. And so will Price. Habs know this is a statement game. Just hope they don’t take the Devils lightly as a result.

10. PrashadHabs says:

Even though Eklund is usually wrong. They have been scouting Colorado for almost the entire year. It would surprise me a trade happens with Colorado. The other team seems to be Rangers for Kreider. Habs want to get rid of Bourque and a pick type of deal, Rangers want Beaulieu or Tinordi to be a part of the deal. I doubt anything happens with the Rangers.

• Phil C says:

Any idea who they were scouting?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The most obvious player the Habs want to deal has to be Bourque. They may be even willing to give up on Beaulieu given his slow start and troubles in the summer…who knows.

There is no way I can see the Rangers giving up on Kreider (who else do they have coming up…Kristo?).

• 24 Cups says:

Not adding any fuel to Eklund rumours but the only top six Colorado forwards that might be available would be Stastny or Parenteau. Stastny has one more year left at 6.6M and likes to play centre. Parenteau has three years left at 4.0M a season.

I think it’s safe to say that Colorado would want a Dman going back their way. That means either Beaulieu or Tinordi as part of any package.

• PrashadHabs says:

Not sure who exactly the Habs are scouting on Colorado or who they would give up. Stastny is someone I’m sure they would be interested in. I am purely speculating though. Also, I meant to say it would not surprise me if they traded with Colorado. It seems like MB is looking to trade. I read that Diaz might be traded, but at the same time I read that he might be signed around 3m for 3/4 years (possibly traded down the road).

11. D Mex says:

Comedy piece – Laffs Bernier (#9) rated ahead of Price (#13)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

12. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I’ve read Eklund’s fan fiction for a couple of years. If he has said it, you can bet that it won’t happen. Guy doesn’t know anyone outside of the Flyers, and his rumours are always complete and utter poppycock. What is fun is to read the comment threads on his posts. Usually people calling him an idiot.

13. Bill says:

donmarco: nope, not perpetuating a stereotype. I was careful. But my girlfriend lost two bags within sixty seconds in Rome. Lost her laptop, cash, cards, and passport. We lost a day of our trip replacing the passport at the embassy. No shame on me: shame on those lousy thieves at Da Vinci actually!

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – My wife and I has a similar situation when we were in Italy. In fact, she was robbed in a very high end Florence restaurant. Sadly, her passport was in her stolen purse. It would take the rest of the day to describe the horror show that we encountered with the Canadian Embassy. Our trip was basically ruined due to their heartlessness and incompetence. I had to eventually have a friend contact my member of parliament (and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) to rectify the situation.

• donmarco says:

As I noted, if you had a negative experience I apologize, so I do. I guess I’m lucky not to have experienced anything like that, but if I had I’d feel no different from you. My personal “best kept secret of Europe”?

Slovenia. I was humbled at how everyone there spoke English to some degree, and with it being a very young country (post breakup of Yugoslavia) their giddy euphoria at being independent after being conquered and occupied so many times was infectious. Think about it next time you’re going.

14. FANHABULOUS says:

Looks like Eklund’s at it again. This was just posted as his hot rumor:

“Just an update…but talking to sources all day I am hearing more and more that the Avalanche and the Canadiens are discussing what one source called, “A Patrick Roy Statement Trade” and another said would be considered “The trade to really kick off what will be the craziest of trade seasons.”

The deal would send two players to Montreal and as many as four to Colorado, and could occur as early as mid-December or as late as mid-January, but would not be a deal that would wait for the deadline. In fact, the deal would set up another trade for each team.”

Really? Shifting 4 players would seem excessive, the way the team is playing (I know I know, he’s mostly pulling stuff out of his rear end, but still…)

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

This is one time that I’m actually paying somewhat close attention to rumours involving the Habs. Not necessarily Eklund’s yet….but McKenzie reported that Bergevin is pretty actively seeking a top 6 scorer. And if McKenzie reports it, it’s happening.

Of course, just because MB is seeking a top 6 guy, it doesn’t mean there’ll be a trade. MB strikes me as a guy that’ll wait for the deal he wants…not trigger happy. But clearly he’s on the phones.

• Kooch7800 says:

I believe there will be some movement by MB this year and main reason being is the East is ripe for the taking. Price is playing well and so is our Defense. Markov and Subban together will only happen for a few years if they are both resigned and that type of pairing won’t come around very often. Defense wins cups

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• FANHABULOUS says:

I agree with you both, I think that MB will make a trade sometime this year to upgrade the offense. I just can’t imagine any way he would make a blockbuster trade and ship 4GUYS OFF this team! Can any of you see that happening?

____________________________________
          “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I guess anything is possible. But the fact that Eklund reports it doesn’t change anything in my opinion.

At this point, all I’m willing to believe is that MB is on the phones testing the market for a top 6 guy (because McKenzie said so).
            Clearly, to get an impact player, it’ll have to be a substantial deal, but I doubt that MB is going to be pressured into something he doesn’t feel 100% about.

• Cal says:

What a load of Eklund.
      Is Eklund Swedish for reindeer manure?

15. Bill says:

Bwoar: I have degrees in Psychology and also English, so I am obviously double-doomed, haha. It’s such a cliche, and I’m secure enough to admit that too!

16. Bill says:

Luke: His skating is, um, not great. He scores by going to the net. As in, right into the net.

17. donmarco says:

So in the grand tradition of Seasme Street’s “one of these things just doesn’t belong”, Plekanec shows up for an optional skate?? If any player would be excused for taking a day off itd be him. But no. One of the most unsung, underrated and under appreciated players that I’ve seen in a long time.
    So much of what he contributes never makes the stats, but there’s no way this is a guy I’d trade.

18. Alex_425 says:

Bri, when do we NOT talk about food around here? =)

But I’m no expert….

19. Bill says:

Habsolutely: Similarities and differences. I only wish that what I witnessed involved prayer as it does in the video you linked. Instead, I saw what happens when a lot of guys who supposedly don’t drink decide to tie one on … I haven’t been in very many fights, but I was glad to be in this one, and I would do it again a thousand times. Women deserve to be treated well, and unfortunately, some cultures do not feel the same way. In my opinion, if you mistreat a woman grossly, you deserve a punch in the face. This is all I have to say about New Year’s Eve, 2012!

20. rhino514 says:

I really enjoy games like last night when the players Montreal NEEDS to play well in order to complete the top three lines….play well. The games where Pacioretty or Subban just dominate; those will happen, but we can´t count on them being heroes every night.
    I´m talking about Bourque and Desharnais. If DD can maintain his confidence for the rest of the year, that is huge for the club as it gives them 3 threats at centre. If Bourque contributes, he is one of the few big bodies we have and we need that especially come playoff time.

Bourque seems to get slagged alot, but has anyone seen his last 8 goals or so? When he scores it is usually in what turns out to be a one goal game. He was also one of the few guys who was playing pretty good versus the Sens in the playoffs.
    They should just let this guy play, let him go through his slumps; he is a streaky player but if you leave him alone, he will have over twenty goals by the end of the season.
    I mean, I´d much rather have Cammy, but this guy fills a spot and he does it ok.

• krob1000 says:

He has size, breakaway speed and a good host…his hckey sense is not at the same level as his other skills but as you pointed out in tight situations he has a skillset that can emerge and result in a goal

• shiram says:

Bourque is all about expectations, we expected a top 6 players that could score upwards of 25 goals a season.
      But we got something less, he’s more of a top 9 player and figures to score about 20 goals a season.
      He’s not all that much physical either.
      He’s the new Kostitsyn, with his cap hit being similar as well.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree about Bourque. He’s a third liner on pace for about 20 goals and makes 3 million a year. I think that’s decent enough. If the team is going to win/lose based on Bourque, we have bigger problems.

Cammy was a fantastic sniper, but you know what? I’ll take my chances on Fucale developing, shed that salary. No issues with that trade.

A random player who makes 3.3 mill also: Josh Bailey.

So yeah, fine with Bourque. (I’m sure there are players who are better who make that too…just saying it’s not a terrible contract for an average player)

21. DipsyDoodler says:

OK, the upcoming schedule is a bit scary, but nothing like this:

• johnnylarue says:

It’s weird… I grew up basically programmed to despise Phil Collins. And while I concede that the bulk of his post-Genesis output is an affront to the senses (both aural and olfactory), I gotta give credit where it’s due: I think the self-titled Genesis album (with “That’s All” on it) is pretty solid if you leave out that terrible “Illegal Alien” song.

And “In the Air Tonight”? Come on… Stone cold classic.

• Strummer says:

Scary indeed. Elevator playlists about to expand with new Phil Collins material.

“Hold On!”

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

22. Bill says:

That’s cool that the Habs signed Nevins out of PEI. A lot of teams were interested in him. Betting he’s a Habs fan. As a maritime guy who follows the Q, I can tell you that he’s a former one-dimensional goon who has found some game this year. Yeah, he still loves punching faces, but he’s also got 11 goals and has gone a point per game this year. Granted, he has a serious advantage as a 20 year old in the Q, but still. Will he be sent straight to Hamilton or does he have to finish the season in the Q?

Bergevin signs free agent. 20 year old, to a 3 year deal.
    Canadiens sign forward Jack Nevins to a three-year contract.
    DETAILS -> http://goha.bs/18fo1Iu

24. galchenyuk27 says:

Whats everyone’s thoughts on Eberle and our chances of picking him up, and what we would have to give up to get this guy. Hes Canadas clutch boy would love to see what he could do in the playoffs playing with no selfish players.

25. Bripro says:

THANKS TIMO!!!
    I tried that Pleky email address you gave Bill…. you know, just to be nosy.
    I’ve never had so many emails from .ru sites in all my life, and this in just 3 minutes.

26. habsfan0 says:

I wonder what’s turned DD’s season around?
    It’s gotta be more than his mustache.

27. Bill says:

@johnnylarue: Most streets are two-way streets, and most of the highways to hell are four-lane express-ways.

That said, if you’ve been to Paris in the last five years (I’ve been three times in that span) you know exactly what to watch out for. I had an experience on the metro that would turn you into Charles Bronson.

• johnnylarue says:

Heheh!

No, I absolutely hear you. I was in Paris a year ago, and while I didn’t have any such experiences, the urban blight was apparent. It’s not quite New York City in the 1970s… but it’s not that far off either.

28. Thurston says:

Canadiens announce they’ve signed free agent forward Jack Nevins to a three-year contract.
    Here’s the press release as many of you (like me) likely had never heard of the guy before:

This was talked about a couple days ago that MB and company were after the kid. What is impressive, is that a few other NHL teams also were trying to sign him. The fact he chose to go with the Habs I am hoping speaks to our new front office, with the likes of Mellanby, Dudley, MB etc… being sales people for the club. As opposed to a warm friendly get together with Mr. Gauthier.

• bwoar says:

Nice, glad they got him!

“thoroughbred”

29. Bill says:

DDO: Let’s not pretend there is not a lot of homoeroticism involved in sports or being a fan of sports. I’m as straight as the next straight guy, but being a fan of a sports team does involve it’s fair share of man crushes. I’m secure enough to admit it. Heck, just look at my avatar.

30. Storman says:

Hey guys, I had a chance to watch Sportsnet hockey central at lunch hour, really the guys looked like complete Zero’s today, these guys make TSN panel look like real professionals, Millard, MacLean and Kypreos will really have to up there game big time,, today they showed some real amateurish shit by crapping all over TSN saying they hope TSN segment the quiz was not included in the package Rogers obtained, they do want the Hockey Night in Canada song back where it belongs etc.. but TSN can keep the quiz, very ridiculous stuff… The Sportsnet trio Millard, MacLean, and Kypreos off hand stats knowledge is outright laughable. and like they had anything to do with Rogers backing up the brinks truck to acquire the NHL rights for these bozo’s to now strut there stuff, They should grow up be humble and give some credit to TSN for years of improving telecasts and help in growing the game so that Rogers decided it was very worth breaking open the vault to acquire NHL rights and prove Canada is the spiritual, passionate and now economic engine of the NHL..

That panel of 3 in my opinion make Healy and Ron Maclean seem bright.

Kypreos just finished learning how to turn a computer on, all the more reason why my favourite all time non Hab player was Ryan Vandenbusshe.

• Say Ash says:

Those sad sacks can’t possibly be part of Sportsnet going forward.

• Strummer says:

I think a little perspective is required.
      Hockey Central is a radio show. You can’t compare it to a TV broadcast which has way more production involved and is a lot slicker.
      Radio is more laid-back and informal. It’s like 3 guys sitting in a circle having a chat.

Comparing this show to TSN That’s Hockey or HNIC is apples and oranges

Sportsnet has a lot of work to do to put their national broadcast structure in place. Bob McCowan commented that this deal was put together in a space of 4 days. Now the work begins- you have to find space to move the hockey operation into, decide how many broadcasters you need- play by play guys, analysts, hosts and so on. Then try to acquire them and get them in place for next season.
      Remains to be seen how it unfolds.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Hockey Central at Noon has been televised for quite some time now along with played on the radio.

• Storman says:

Not really commenting on production value, more like if this trio is a center piece of the Sportnet national package, they have to up there game, not resort to childish stabs at TSN , maybe take some time, do some homework, they have along way to go to come up to the level that will be expected of them. Off hand knowledge of players and stats is laughable..

• Strummer says:

Storman- that’s radio- it’s loosy-goosy, less structured no holds barred.
        I remember PK Subban being on the show after the Habs were eliminated last season, totally informal.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Storman says:

True Strummer radio is supposed to be a laid back affair, guys having a chat type of deal, I guess something about that kicking someone when there down thing (TSN losing NHL rights, they are the down fighter) that got to me,, but you are right, radio should be a more relaxed say what you want sort of deal. and i am a big supporter of free speech, something about them got to me today, and you know what that is probably a good thing, sparks thought and debate.

31. Bill says:

You can talk about DD and Pacioretty’s bromance all you want, but for my money the most bromantic moment of the season thus far was Subban and Markov celebrating Subban’s goal the other night. So weird to see Markov show emotion. It was totally Brokeback.

• johnnylarue says:

I love that PK has managed to win over Andrei “Grumpy Pants” Markov. Feel-good story of the season.

I wonder if the opposite? Perhaps PK has now also realized just how great Markov is and how much there is to learn from him. Don’t forget PK’s first couple years in Montreal was the Markov injured years, he was the top dog on the defence by default. Now finally he has a mentor he can learn from and benefit from.

Markov I truly suspect has a much more engaging personality than most here give him credit for.

32. Steeltown Hab says:

Can someone put together a video mantage of Pacioretty DD, hugging goal celebrations with rolling txts of all Paciorety’s quotes about Desharnais.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

33. Bill says:

Thanks Timo. But do you have DD’s email? I really dig his moustache and he seems more sensitive.

Don’t worry, I would never dream of coming between you and Big George ;)

34. Bill says:

Another thing against Rome: if you don’t attach everything you own to yourself with like padlocks and three layers of duct tape, you will be robbed blind before you even leave the airport! Be advised.

• Timo says:

Was that racist? It sounded racist.

• Cal says:

Isn’t being a world traveler enlightening?
      You travel long enough, and you’ll be enlightened of all your possessions. ;)

• Bripro says:

Bill, I agree on Rome.
      We came back to our hotel one night to discover that the door had been broken into, but they couldn’t get into the safe.
      When we showed the homemade knife left on the floor by the perpetrators to the night concierge, he told us that maintenance had been in the room earlier to (ready for this…) “trim the carpet, because there were complaints from the previous patrons that they kept tripping on the carpet”.
      Seriously?
      They discovered that night just how hostile a Canadian woman can be. I sat back and enjoyed the show.

Is this the same trip that had three women tripping all over you? What a vacation, first the 3 Spanish ladies, then watching your wife go complete WWE on the concierge. I hope you have video footage of this trip, next Summit I’ll bring the popcorn! Jim, Chris L and I are looking forward to watching.

• Bripro says:

I’ll tell you what. I’ll bring Lisa instead.
          You want an animated rendition? It’s a given.
          I should sell tickets.
          Seriously, you should have seen the look on her face sitting in the corner of the pizzeria while these three blabbered over the fact that I was “from Noth Ameeeeeeerica…..how romaaaaantic!”
          (I got the single raised eyebrow)

• donmarco says:

Bill, I’ve been to Rome 3 times, and to other parts of Italy 7 times, without a single negative incident. If you had a negative experience there I apologize, but if you’re simply perpetuating a stereotype then shame on you.

35. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The Bruins won’t have played since Saturday by the time the game rolls around on Thursday.

Here’s hoping they’re good and rusty and we’re in the midst of a winning swagger…

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Mellanby at the Jets – Rangers game.

Looking at Kane or Del Zotto? Or neither?

• krob1000 says:

I would guess Setoguchi and if it is Del ZOtto that may be a change of scenery trade involving Beuliue..and I hope not. Setoguchi would be more affordable Gionta replacement if able to keep and if not would be good for down stretch. He is a bit of sparkplug himself and usually good for 20 goals or thereabouts, defensviely respnsible and very fast. A possiblityfor sure.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Kane wasn’t playing..

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

He is looking at McDonough… Habs will pull a trade with Florida, sending DD for Gomez, then turn around and trade Gomer to NYR for McDonough and a second round pick.

37. Bill says:

I’m not sure how to explain why Paris has gotten less nice and more dirty and dangerous without being politically incorrect. So I guess I just can’t say anything.

Maybe I could say that there is a, er, substantial segment of the population that doesn’t care about the city and has no respect for women?

• mrhabby says:

Government cutbacks..

• johnnylarue says:

“Caché” by Michael Haneke is one of my favourite films from recent years, and deals with the sort of institutionalized xenophobia prevalent in contemporary French culture.

Ostensibly a thriller, but absolute genius in its subtlety.

Edit: I mention this to underline that the situation in Paris is very much a two-way street… again, without wanting to go into specifics. ;)

• bwoar says:

You can’t specifically point out the particular cultural group you blame for the en-shitening of France? You mean the one we see on TV news feeds burning their own neighborhoods? Looks like they’re Arabs, to me. But I’m not sure since the native Franks are much good for their own women and obviously can’t make a half decent country either. Two way street? More like a six-lane freeway with a 62-car pile up.

“thoroughbred”

• donmarco says:

You’re talking about the influx of French speaking North Africans, and it has indeed caused much turmoil throughout the entire country. And the way they treat women is beyond disgusting. My wife had a problem with a group of them on our last trip there. Then I showed up. Little pukes disappeared in seconds.

38. Bill says:

Pleks is a dream in general. He’s like a Carbonneau but wih more offensive talent.

I would get a Plekanec jersey, but I’ve had unfortunate luck with my other jerseys:

Lafleur 1983
    Robinson 1988
    Carbonneau 1992
    Muller 1994
    Roy 1995

I just stopped buying jerseys after that. Except for my Koivu jersey in 2009. Doh.

Now my kid wants a Price jersey for Christmas. I said no. He said, “well I’ll ask Santa”. So I said, “Kid … there’s no Santa”.

• shiram says:

Tough love, but at least you’re not BS’ing the kid.
      I got my Plekanec jersey at the start of last season.

• Timo says:

Bill, I don’t think Pleks is seeing anyone… you can try and get together. Because I am so nice I will give you his email address… you can tell him Timo sent you.

softcushypleky@bromance.com

• Steeltown Hab says:

I picked up Gallagher’s at the start of last year, my brother got Eller the year before. We should be good for a while *cross fingers*…I’ll be getting Subban soon.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Pleks is a dream”…get a room…lol.

• galchenyuk27 says:

Ive got Lafleur jersey both Richard jerseys, Steve Shutt, Roy, Robinson, and Koivu all signed so I don’t wear those my dad went nuts at an old timers hockey game got Bobby Hull to that guys a class act.
      I have also added since then Subban, Price, and my Galchenyuk jersey is being made right now.

39. 19yan65 says:

I have to thank the mayor of montreal to have awaken a little giant with great talent desjardin has been awesome.

Subway added spinach leaves to their veggie selection. A nice tough actually.

41. Say Ash says:

I assume Budaj tomorrow, Price Thursday?

42. Bill says:

Back to hockey, I’m pretty unimpressed with the development of Tinordi and Beaulieu in Hamilton this year.

Sylvan Lefebvre is doing a decent job of keeping a bad Bulldogs team competitive, but as a developer of young talent, he is looking like a failure.

He’s lost Nystrom and Nygren. And he’s got Beaulieu – one of the five most talented Canadiens under contract – playing very ordinary hockey. Tinordi seems to have completely lost his edge and regressed.

We really need these guys to step up. They should be the replacements for Murray and Bouillon next year. If Lefebvre can’t do a better job developing players, the Bulldogs need a coach who can.

• Kooch7800 says:

I was at the game on Thursday and it was pretty sloppy. Beaulieu was not really even noticeable and Tinordi really wasn’t great on the first pass out of the zone and was not nearly as physical as he was in the preseason.

I will say Pateryn looked really good. Played smart, physical and was great at getting the puck out. He looks NHL ready and I hope he is the next call up cause I think he has earned it. He is older than Beau and Tin man as he went the University route and that may explain why his game is more developed.

Keep in mind this is the first dogs game i watched this year so it may have been just an off game

Leblanc was invisible from what i saw. Going again on Friday the 13th. Hopefully it will be a better game

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

43. RS says:

Really, Plekanec was on the ice for the optional skate?

Interesting. The rest of those guys have been in and out of the line-up, or recently returned from injuries. Says something about Plek’s character and determination, I think.

Pacioretty doesn’t know many players, does he?

45. Sportfan says:

You know what I miss from HIO the charts and pie graphs they used to show telling us the views and people who go on this site.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. JUST ME says:

Sad news. According to Marc DeFoy from le journal de Mtl , Gino Odjick checked in a mental institute in Gatineau a few days ago to treat symptoms from previous concussions…Speechless. Prepare yourselves cause now they will not suffer in silence and in shame, they will make their cause public with all the social and numerrous forms of media platforms. It is time that we do what we can to stop this.

• donmarco says:

While it would take so much away from the enjoyment of the game, there is a such a simple solution that would not only reduce concussions but essentially eliminate fighting, the NHL, and it’s fans, would never accept it.

Full cages on the helmets.

47. Bill says:

Hey BriPro, the real Mona Lisa is actually in the Louvre. The one in the Prado is a copy … a very good one done by one of da Vinci’s students. Just some trivia for you.

I had the opposite experience: I had always heard people talk about how surprisingly small the Lisa is, so I expected a postcard and wound up being surprised how big it was, ha!

48. B says:

Bouillon in tomorrow then Murray back in Thurs. for the Bruins?

–Go Habs Go!–

49. Bill says:

Hey Front, I was in Paris for New Year’s Eve last year, talk about crazy times!

50. Bill says:

Nice post roblack

51. roblack says:

.As an old guy that’s been a Habs fan since the Jean Beliveau days I got to say Im starting to get really excited about this team. Why?

PK Subban. Heres a young guy that hasn’t even hit his prime yet and is already the most talented defenseman since Big Bird. Hes got it all,mad skills,awesome shot,big and tough,hard hitting,and hockey smarts that’s rare. He’s only gonna get better too.

Brendan Gallagher. How did this guy ever go so late in the draft? Were the scouts all put off because of his size? Hes a bulldog,tough as nails,limitless energy,talented,never takes a single shift off. Wish we could clone him.

Alex Gallenchuck. Heres a super talented kid that has no where near hit his prime and is already dangerous every shift. The fact that he seems cool and level headed,means he can and probably loves playing in hockey mad Montreal.Hes only going to get better.

Carey Price. I was one of those that really had my doubts if he was ever as good as the reviews,but with the addition of Stephan Waite hes turning out to be simply the best in the league. I was so disappointed when they traded Halak after that “lights out” playoff run,but its turning out for the best because of…

Lars Eller. I was just sick when they traded what I thought was a young up and coming superstar goalie for some kid I never heard of,but its looking like we at last have that big,talented,play making center this team has needed for so long.Hes only getting better with each game too,slump withstanding.

Alexi Emmilin. How can you not love a guy that puts the fear in any forward crossing our blueline,hes mobile,smart,and again,getting better.

Michal Bournival. We all know we do need at least one Francophone star on this team and it looks like this is the guy. Hes a classic French young star,fast,skilled,and can put the puck in the net. When I first saw him play in pre-season he reminded me of the Road Runner. Theres no higher compliment.

Max Pac. If this guy can just stay healthy hes going to be a 40-50 goal man.Hes streaky,like many goal scorers,but when hes on a roll like right now there none more dangerous.Hes big,fast,and has an awesome shot. He dosent play as “big” as he should,but when hes scoring its tough to want more.

Ryan White. I wish they would play him more. Hes the gritty,John Ferguson type of player every championship team needs. He dosent take as many bad penalties as he used to either.

Thomas Plekanic. One of the most usefull,reliable,hard working and hockey smart players in the whole NHL. Theres not one team that wouldn’t love to have him. He looks like hes got many good years left,and hes rarely injured.

Andre Markov. As long as his knee holds up he could give us another 4 years of outstanding hockey. I real core guy that has the respect of everyone in the league. Him and PK are the best defense pair since Robinson and Lapointe.

Doug Murray was an excellent pick up,slow but running into him must be like hitting a full beef carcass on a meat hook.

The rest of this team is good enough to take us deep,baring injurys,or at least not ones to key players. We also have a back up goalie that could be number 1 on many teams.

The only moves Id consider are,IF the right deal came along,move Gionta while he still has value. Hes giving us some good hockey but hes past his best before date. And if anyone would take Breire Id do that to,dont know why we need a small,over the hill,soft forward who refused to come here when he still had game.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Good to see eh, can’t disagree these are definitely key guys.

A lot of Gems coming up as well, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Hudon, De la Rose will be prominent names to add to this list over the next few years.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

A post three years in the making, and well worth the wait. Appreciate and agree with your optimism!

52. Bill says:

How many grand kids Bri?

53. Bill says:

I just really like the vibe in Paris. I like being able to walk where I need to go, the way the city looks, the calm pace (compared to London or New York) and being able to speak French to people who don’t treat me like a jerk because of my accent and lack of idioms.

• frontenac1 says:

Was in Paris last Sept. Great City,love it.

• Bripro says:

I’ve never been to Paris, but you talked of the Louvre.
      If you’re ever to Madrid…. the Prado.
      That’s where the Mona Lisa is displayed. Shocked me.
      I thought it was a massive painting. It would fit on the wall in our powder room.
      They burn their coffee and dilute it with over-boiled milk.
      And being from Montreal where the other appeal, aside from the Habs, are the women… I have to say that the spanish women who sit on the terraza during their afternoon siestes are striking, and very bold.
      Ask my wife, who witnessed the only time in my life where I was hit on by three women at the same time.
      A moment to remember.

54. Kooch7800 says:

THE STATS GUY ‏@TH2NSTATSGUY 14m
    The Canadiens have allowed 2 or fewer goals (excluding shootouts) in 11 straight games….their best stretch since 1975-76. Via @EliasSports

That is impressive. The east is up for taking this year if we add some firepower up front

55. Bill says:

You guys are putting me in any easy position by making me defend Paris.

The Louvre. Best museum anywhere. I spend hours in there.

The Champs Élysées: yeah, it’s commercialized but still a great place to walk and sight see.

Montmartre: worth the climb on a warm night as a great place to listen to music and have fun. Amazing view.

Parisian women … I’m not trying to be gauche here, they are astonishing.

Checking out the old haunts of Hemingway and Fitzgerald …

Walking along the Seine in spring

Just walking anywhere, since you CAN walk almost anywhere

Sure it has it’s downside. It is dirty, and it is dangerous, especially for women I’d say. But the coffee is better than you guys give credit for, and I’ll take French wine over Italian anyway!

• Kooch7800 says:

The bread is also wiked. I like Paris a lot. My fav city in Europe though is still London. Love that place. Bloody expensive but there is just something about it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• GuyDoon says:

Been to Paris a few times too…

The Louvre is really impressive, just so big! Love Musee D’Orsay the best.

Champs Élysées is a special place. In the neighbourhood, love Pont des Arts the best.

Montmartre: Take the Amelie tour ;)

Parisian women: Very nice, yes, but married to Scandanavian blond bombshell, so wasn’t paying as much notice as I should have.

Old haunts: Shakespeare and Co

Walking along the Seine is what the joy of travelling definites. It’s one of those places you feel like you’ve been there before, in another life.

As for wine, I worked in the vineyards of France and Switzerland. Best wine I’ve ever had was from the Lausanne region.

Next game, let’s talk Kathmandu!

56. Bill says:

The only thing that rhymes with “fourteen” is “more teen”. Not sure whatever you came up with would pass the mods, BriPro.

57. DipsyDoodler says:

OK, did anyone get my Paris joke?

Anyhow: Espresso isn’t hard to make. So there is probably good espresso everywhere, including Paris and Winnipeg.

But you wouldn’t say about Paris that it is known for its espresso. Parisians just don’t generally have great coffee the way Romans do. And even if they do, it isn’t what Paris is known for. It’s as if I said the Devils are known for their goal scoring because they score goals in fact lots of them over the years.

In fact, this may shock you, but l’Arpege serves Nespresso. I know! – I crossed it off my to do list when I found out.

And the guy who says Paris isn’t beautiful, you need new eyes or something. What do you consider beautiful?

58. Kooch7800 says:

According to TFP the contract negotiations for Diaz are currently ongoing (no shocker there).

Also interesting to note Scott Melanby will be at the Jets Vs Rangers game tonight.

I have an eerie feeling that the habs are going after Kane. He is a good player who has an edge. Just not sure what the habs would give up as it would take a lot

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

59. Bripro says:

So what rhymes with fourteen?
    …. or anything profound…
    I got notin’

60. Thomas Le Fan says:

Great to see our favourite whipping boys come out of their funk. A little criticism never hurt anyone. They’re professionals, after all. Let’s hear it for the mayor et tous!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

61. montreal ace says:

the dirty dozen make that a bakers dozen

62. ooder says:

you guys are losers .. but your my losers <3

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…personally, I can’t count this high …AND, I ran out of fingers

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…for the foreseeable future I will be annoyingly and shamelessly crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats
    …now some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players
    …maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career …He was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day
    …most remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us were inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own
    …Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon
    …Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach
    …His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre
    …the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage
    …I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong
    …I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake …to incorporate some homage to Toe …maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern
    …I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard …knowing Ian, He is more than capable (Note Bene: such may not be possible this October, because of the projected lock-out)
    …meanwhile, some clear input must be made by Habs’ Fans that agree with the objective, to let Their feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management
    …that means You !!! Boys and Girls
    …if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Number 6 !!!’
    …if anyOne out there have other suggestions please let Ian and I know …they will be considered and appreciated

The following are the most relevant to send your testimonial to Retire Number 6 !!!:
    Geoff Molson: President and Owner (Twitter; @gmolsonchc)
    Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Send your testimonial to:

[Name of person]
    c/o The Montreal Canadiens
    1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
    Montreal, QC, CANADA
    H3C 5L2

_________________________________________________________
    Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Theme Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !’: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw

HIS’ Get It Up ! pre-game musical intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=R5mMRiiCwak&NR=1
    _________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

Bring Back Boone, and send Hickey to Hamilton !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

65. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Nine! Nein?

66. Mustang says:

Lucky 7

EDIT: Close but no cigar, so I am #8.

67. Habsrule1 says:

7……games in a row with at least a point.

Go Habs Go!!

68. Cal says:

6 degrees of separation.

69. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Fifth of…
    win!

70. Walmyr says:

…quatrième étoile…moi!!!

71. bwoar says:

Three’s Company too!

“thoroughbred”

72. Say Ash says:

Two’s company

73. Sportfan says:

It was the best of times it was the First of times !

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

As indicated above, not the reason I went there.