Habs on a roll heading into New Jersey

Most of the Canadiens enjoyed a day away form the ice Tuesday following Monday’s 3-2 win over the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre.

Only eight players skated in Brossard Tuesday morning before the team headed to New Jersey to face the Devils again Wednesday night (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Goalie Peter Budaj was joined by Ryan White, Michael Bournival, Tomas Plekanec, Brandon Prust, Francis Bouillon, George Parros and Douglas Murray.

The Canadiens have a busy week with four games in six nights, starting with Monday’s win over the Devils. After the trip to New Jersey, the Canadiens return home to face the Boston Bruins Thursday night and the Buffalo Sabres Saturday night.

The Canadiens are on a roll, going 8-1-2 in their last 11 games, while allowing only 19 goals during that span. Excluding shootouts, they have not allowed more than two goals in any of those games.

Max Pacioretty has scored eight goals in the last seven games, while David Desharnais has eight points (two goals, six assists) in his last seven games. Desharnais had only one assist in his first 21 games this season.

“He’s a great playmaker,” Pacioretty told reporters after the game about his linemate Desharnais. “He’s the most generous player I know, and he’s always doing his best to make you look good on the ice.”

Goalie Carey Price, who has a 12-8-2 record with one shutout, has allowed two goals or less in his last eight starts, lowering his goals-against average to 2.00, ranking him sixth in the NHL, and his save percentage to .937, ranking him third in the NHL.

Coach Michel Therrien did not speak with the media on Tuesday, but Budaj is expected to start in goal for the Canadiens in New Jersey. Budaj, who has a 4-1-1 record with one shutout, has a 1.63 goals-against average and .939 save percentage.

The Canadiens have the second-best defensive record in the NHL, allowing an average of 2.00 goals per game. The only team with a better defensive record is the Bruins, who give up 1.96 goals per game.

On offence, the Canadiens rank 14th, scoring an average of 2.68 goals per game. The Chicago Blackhawks have the No. 1 offence, averaging 3.50 goals per game.

In other news, the Canadiens signed free-agent forward Jack Nevins to a three-year contract on Tuesday running through the 2015-16 season. In 30 games with the QMJHL’s Charlottetown Islanders, the 6-foot-2, 205-pound forward has 11-19-30 totals, 85 penalty minutes and is plus-7.

While there was no official media availability from the Habs on Tuesday, George Parros did speak with The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell about the Movember fund-raising campaign for men’s health issues.

Parros led Movember fundraising among participating NHL players with a tally of $8,729. The Canadiens had raised as of Tuesday afternoon $59,493 in donations.

“I was really impressed with the organization-wide support we had for Movember here,” Parros said. “Obviously, from our owner on down, Geoff Molson raised an incredible amount. Our GM (Marc Bergevin) got involved as well. Everyone was growing moustaches. We had a contest with the Canucks. We had all sorts of things going on, so it’s a great team effort here.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Devils preview, NHL.com

Habs make most of few chances against Devils, by Pat Hickey

Desharnais has found his game, by Dave Stubbs

Galchenyuk bounces back from Saturday’s benching, by Pat Hickey

Number-crunchers, Canadiens.com

Self-made men with Habs, Canadiens.com

Canadiens sign forward Nevins, Canadiens.com

Ken Dryden on the pressure of playing in Montreal (video), SI.com

Subban takes goal away from Jagr (video), NHL.com

How would Subban’s saves appear on a stats sheet? TSN.ca

Should Subban be named to Team Canada? TSN.ca

Olympic extension a big help for Team Canada coach Babcock, ESPN.com

Canadian teams need to pick up pace, montrealgazette.com

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Goal-scoring a problem with Devils, The Star-Ledger

Rogers needs more Don Cherry, not less, SI.com

Habs win Movember bet with Canucks, TSN.ca

Junior Team Canada has new look, by Pat Hickey

1. adamkennelly says:

Does MT actually think Frankie is a more effective NHL D-man on this Habs team than Murray or is he resting Murray and/or giving his little buddy some ice time to be nice?

• krob1000 says:

Last game vs Jersey was very tight game and they were relentless on the forecheck…bouillon is faster and quikcer puck mover. NExt night is vs Boston and will be very physical and likely both Murray and Parros draw in. Since MT is celary trying to ensure both Murray and bouillon stay game ready and active this IMo is the right choice given the two games.

2. jeffhabfan says:

Hopefully the Habs can win tonight and keep this nice run going and go on to have a great season. About 2 weeks ago I did not know what we were 500 or a good team. I think we are a good team. What we as fans should do is respect what we do have which is some solid pieces and just cheer the Habs every night and hope that we can make it far in the postseason.

3. krob1000 says:

I was furious at the time ….as I was with the handling of the kdis at that time….fro hwat i have seen nobody has said PG should have stayed. Onyl that it is players of the former regimes that are leading the way now and that should be acknowledged.

4. Bill says:

I actually really appreciate the role Gionta is playing. He’s committed to playing a two-way, shutdown game. He is sacrificing offence in a contract year, and it certainly will hurt his offers next year. But he’s doing it for the good of the team, and you have to love that.

Gionta has a great shot and great wheels. If he wanted to, he could focus on offence and score his customary 25-30 goals. It would help him a lot next year. Instead he’s out there with Pleks, shutting down the Crosbys and the Ovechkins.

It makes me wonder if he doesn’t have a gentlemen’s agreement with the Habs already in place. I could see them giving him a long-term, lower cap deal that would take him to retirement. Say five years and 20 million dollars.

And don’t think for a second that Plekanec wouldn’t put up more points if he were playing DD’s role! Pleks could be a 30 goal, 70 point guy with the right wingers and a mandate to just score:

• krob1000 says:

Especialyl considering he is in a contract year….takes a leader and a team first guy to not be wnating pp minutes and a different role considering his personal status. HE has never beena me first guy though and is dedicated to his role. HE may not have a future in Montreal but he is still committed to this team and tehre is a reason he has that C on his shirt.

• SmartDog says:

These are good points and valid about his character.

But I doubt about an agreement to stay, or that he will stay. Just my guess, but as much as I think he’s good in the ways you suggest – character guy etc – I think he’s missing something as a Captain. If I try to say exactly what that is or why people will say “you’re not in the room you can’t know”. So without getting specific, in what we do see and hear, I’m seeing something that isn’t there. (Apologies to Yogi Berra.)

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

5. Maritime Ronn says:

Move Bournival back with Plex and Gio as that line was flying when he played.
    Move Briere with Eller-Chuckie as that would create so much more room for Briere with 2 guys that like to pass the puck.
    Leave Prust on the 4th.

• SmartDog says:

I wish.

I’ve said this before but Methinks Bournival is not being used well on the 4th line. He has too much jump to offer linemates who can score.
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

6. Sap Anderson says:

I see some people defending Gauthier on the comments section and debating the job Bergevin has done. In my opinion, Gauthier was a TERRIBLE General Manager. He was responsible pro scouting under Gainey, where the number of questionable trades and signings is absurdly high. Gomez trade we all know was terrible, the Kaberle acquisition was horrendous, and the list goes on and on and on and on………

For those of you who say that Bergevin has inherited the good work of Gauthier and Gainey, I think that you underestimate the impact of culture around a workplace, especially a professional sports franchise. We are lucky to have had Trevor Timmins scout and help draft some good players, but recall that a number of our draft choices were mishandled and fizzled out under the previous regime. Since being hired, Bergevin has brought in a fleet of coaches and executives to assist the prospects in their transition to the NHL, and the benefits are only beginning now to be reaped. The arrogance of Gainey and Gauthier to try and do it all by themselves is mind-boggling, and it goes without saying that morale in the locker room was terrible under that regime.

So yes, Bergevin inherited players from the previous regime, but like a new executive coming in to restructure a company, he has made some necessary critical moves, and then focused on the operations and culture within the organization. For that alone, he should be commended as having done a tremendous job. He clearly manages the organization and its current players well, and I am excited to see what he will do transaction-wise to complete the picture for us of his overall ability as a GM

• krob1000 says:

I was the one posting much of that and I definitely acknowledged the culture and management aspect and said that was why Gauthier needed to go…BUT…the personnel acquired under that regime are the personnel leading the team. Not sure how you missed that in my posts but I was sure to note it in the responses and agree completely….I disliked the handling of all of the Belarussians, the Mdconagh throw in on an already bad deal, Lats, cammi,etc. The bottom line is though….that regime is responsible for nearly all of the Habs team and many of its top prospects today…and they also had the best result in 20 years. So yes…many boneheaded decisions and handling …but also must give credit where credit was due. I think the mistake was as you say…and as I said…in the people management not the personnel.
      Carey Price said it in the first 24ch…”things are different..we have leadership”…..

• Sap Anderson says:

Hi krob1000

I didn’t mean to criticize your post or to take you to task on it, rather just state my opinion on the matter. In reading your comments, I see that we agree on a lot and disagree on some… I guess that’s the privilege of being a sports fan!

Personally I don’t put a lot of stock in a playoff run where a goaltender stood on his head and was subsequently shipped out of town. In my humble opinion, I don’t think you can build a perennial contender with the “Cinderella Team” model. Those teams don’t usually fare well in the long run. However, as you say, much of the leadership comes from some of the old hats around the team, and I can’t pretend I didn’t enjoy watching the playoffs that year!

Thanks for replying!

Have a nice da

Sap

• krob1000 says:

Re the Cinderella run…that is true…but in sports results are what matters Another key note…. he at least did recognize the Cinderella aspect as he had absolutely no issues with trading the two heroes of that run (Halak and Cammi). Trading those guys resulted on good trades that are paying dividends now despite being much maligned at the time ….perhaps in this instance it was his apparent lack of emotion that allowed him to make such bold moves. I think he is best served being an assistant role where he can provide robotic and unemoitonal opinions and let someone else be handling real people issues and final decisions…but in a room with coworkers making important decisions a personality or lack of one is a good opinion to have as he appears completely objective and treats the role like that of a fantasy Gm with no attachments,etc.

• Sap Anderson says:

Thanks for the reply

Certainly two sides to the coin!

Anyway it’s a lot of fun watching the current team, and I’m enjoying the results regardless of who is responsible. Go Habs Go!

• Cal says:

Demonstrate the list that “goes on and on”, please. I’m betting you won’t find it, despite your dislike of Gauthier the man as opposed to Gauthier the GM. He made the Habs better through his personnel moves, even though he has the personality of a rotten carrot.

• Sap Anderson says:

Cal

I think that Gauthier the man and Gauthier the GM unfortunately are not mutually exclusive, much like Steve Jobs the man and Steve Jobs the CEO were very much intertwined.

What I am trying to express is that you may be a hell of a hockey mind, but if you can’t manage people you will be a rotten GM.

As for the list of terrible moves from the previous regime, I sense that we will disagree strongly on some of these, but here are some examples (I don’t really have the time or inclination to do extensive research at this point, only trying to have a light-hearted Habs discussion during a break in my day):

- Gomez trade (obviously)
        - Spacek for Kaberle
        - Cammy trade (mismanagement and lack of proper return)
        - No return for numerous UFA’s (Saku, Komisarek, Souray, etc…)
        - Hiring Jacques Martin as a coach
        - Failure to have any coaching prospects in the pipeline
        - Ribiero for Jaane Niinima (or however it’s spelled… )
        - The Georges Laraque experiment
        - The Kovalev/Carbonneau/Gainey situation

I’m missing some, however the point is I feel that the bad strongly outweighed the good. Clearly, the new ownership agreed and it was a priority to replace the Gainey/Gauthier style with one more in tune with today’s workplace environment

7. Un Canadien errant says:

This is just banter, and I don’t expect that such a trade is in the works, but while I really like Evander Kane as a player, a former Vancouver Giant who was drafted fourth overall in 2009 behind John Tavares, Victor Hedman and Matt Duchene, a guy with scoring ability and some snarl to his game, if it’s up to me I stick with Max. He’s a fully developed, mature player who will be a great teammate, a great team player, who will work hard off and on the ice, and is already deeply involved in the community.

Evander Kane has many physical gifts, but right now he’s still a developing player, and we’d be trading a sure thing for potential, a proverbial bird in hand for 1.33 birds in the bush. I’m not sure that’s ever a good idea, and especially with a player like Mr. Kane, who hasn’t demonstrated the maturity and common sense to easily project how he’ll turn out. We saw how Guillaume Latendresse got sidetracked and never achieved his potential.

Evander Kane never raised any red flags while playing for the Giants, and had his jersey retired by them the night I attended a game to watch Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland play (http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/03/vancouver-giants-1-tri-city-americans-2.html). I don’t remember any negative stories about him while he played in Atlanta, but that organization was adrift and he probably got away with a few things that he can’t now that he’s in Winnipeg and living in a fishbowl. That he’s not navigating those waters doesn’t inspire much hope that he’d do better in Montréal, where he’d have even more opportunities to stray, and more scrutiny. Simple things like failing to pay speeding tickets and jeopardizing his driver’s licence, and walking out on restaurant tabs and being called out for such behaviour on Twitter by workers in the industry, are indicators that he has low emotional intelligence, and that he’s a high-risk to never develop and to be a problem rather than an asset to the organization.

So yeah, Evander Kane, great player, but one that comes with baggage and should be treated with caution, and not someone that you trade a loyal soldier like Max, one with great work ethic, great production, and is signed for years to come.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

8. Bill says:

@aHabGrows: I know what you mean. I’ve taken to gleefully reading the gamethread on Pension Plan Puppets after Leafs losses (so basically every game lately) and just enjoying it so much. I don’t say anything, I don’t troll, I just enjoy their frustration and anguish.

9. Bill says:

Steeltown: Bournival would help that line create more offence, and Prust could make the fourth line more of a pure crash and bang line.

I guess Therrien is looking for a mix of skill and toughness on different lines? It’s not a terrible idea.

I imagine he will stick with this as long as the team is winning, hard to blame him.

10. Steeltown Hab says:

Too bad Therrien isn’t proactive enough to put Bournival up with Eller Galchneyuk. Looks like Prust will skate with them again, he’s been struggling though and i’d like to see him get back to basics with the 4th unit.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• krob1000 says:

IF PRust is struggling I would bet it is injury related…it sure isn’t heart and/or hustle. Either way I like the 4 line approacha nd having the grit spread out. Even in the games Parros does not play there is now a pretty good chance that one of Murray, Moen, Prust or White will be on the ice. Having one of tese gusy on the ice for the better part of the game helps to ensure less of the intimidation and I am seeing Eller playing more phsyical with that line again. Galchenyuk and Eller are taking sme time getting used to having to help Prust out a little mre on the forecheck..he hits hard but he is not as fast or relentles as Gallagher…but then agiai who the hell is? Prust has had his chances but who knows about his health.

11. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Re: Henrik Lundqvist. That is a living wage on NYC. You have to make north of $5mil a year just to pay your rent, groceries, diamond-encrusted toothpicks, etc. HL could have accepted less, but then he would have to apply for food stamps, and you’d rather have your goalie focusing on his game.

Re: The Leafs. I love it when the Habs win, and I love it when the Leafs lose, so I’m feeling pretty good today. I watched a chunk of the second period, and had to double-check that the Sharks weren’t on the PP for their third goal. The Leafs just looked terrible on that one.

Go Habs!

12. D Mex says:

One lockout aimed at cost certainty, and another one that produced compliance buyouts for senseless contracts that included a pair of doozies (Gomez & Redden) engineered by
    ‘ Slats ‘. Here’s his latest masterpiece :

I’m not suggesting Lundqvist could be lumped in with the guys named above, but given the recent labour portrait of the NHL and the Rangers modest track record, I do wonder how Sather remains employed. This deal just doesn’t make a lot of sense.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Rangers really don’t give a crap about the cap (like the Flyers). This contract stinks. A 31 year old goalie making Crosby money for 7 years? C’mon.

This is another case where they should have waited until the end of the season. What was the rush? They could have bent over then like they did now. The new TV deal was already announced so they could not avoid the price inflation anyway. Aside from maybe the Flyers, who else would give him that deal? Just mind-boggling…

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Leafs would
      They’re always 1 player from a Cup

Actually, there would be more than a few lining up for Lundqvist.
      Philly, Islanders with the Brooklyn move, maybe Pitt if they could find Cap room,, Washington….

14. Maksimir says:

So Bourque out… does that mean:

Gally-DD-Pac
    Briere-Pleks-Gionta
    Bournival-Eller-Galch
    Prust-White-Moen

????

15. captaink4life says:

35 points isn’t even good enough for a playoff spot in the Western Conference right now. Crazy…

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

16. ProHabs says:

Man Chris Kreiger should would look like a good winger in our top 9. What will become of Louis Leblanc?

17. krob1000 says:

Re the Leafs …I wouldn’t write them off yet. They are going trhoughnow what Montreal went through early and having different lineups every night. Once healthy again they are IMO a playoff team in the East…..they need to do what the Habs did and hold hteir heads above water until then….can they do that? that is the question but when healthy I have no doubt they should be a playoff team in the East.

Eaasier said then done though as their upcoming schedule is horrfic in the state they are in….Dall, Ott and then a 5 game stretch of Pitts, La, STl, Chi and PItts again. If they survive that they will be fine…but there is a possibility they could lose 5 of next 7…huge stretch for them.

• homerbowen says:

Why in god’s name would they dress Orr and Mclaren last night when they’re trying to win? That Cherry like thinking leads to nothing which is exactly how many Cups Cherry won. They must have at least 2 better skilled players than those 2 goons. In any event any Laff loss is cause for celebration. Screw them, their fans and their entire organization.

• D Mex says:

In case you missed the memo :
        1- Cherry’s good,
        2- he knows it, and
        3- status quo, please, status quo …
        Cause to celebrate indeed, let the Laffs wallow ~ woot woot !
        :lol:
        ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• krob1000 says:

Not sure they do right now…they were without Kadri, Bolland, Lupul, Franson and Bozak….I think their only hope was to try to turn it into a grind it out slug it out type of game and hope Kessel/JVr have a really good game and were difference makers. They arein tough right now.

18. Et le but says:

Good morning!
    While all this talk about PK not being a lock for Team Canada at Sochi is ridiculous and incomprehensible, I believe we are reaping the benefits.
    PK is playing lights out right now and I can’t help but think that part of his motivation is to prove to the Olympic brain trust that he does indeed belong.
    From that perspective, I’m hoping that the ‘should he be on the team’ saga continues to play itself out and that we continue to reap the benefits of PK’s added inspiration.

19. mdp2011 says:

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 44s
    #Habs announce Rene Bourque remained in Mtl and is out tonight with an upper body injury

20. adamkennelly says:

holy crap that is quite the contract for Henry – makes Price’s deal look like a HUGE bargain considering age and cap hit…is Sather still the GM for NYR? if so he is clearly senile – time to pull a fast one via trade…

21. Phil C says:

6-1-1 in the Emelin 2.0 era. Another guy Gauthier helped bring over. Big, physical, mobile defensmen are obviously very important. Emelin’s presence has improved both the 2nd and 3rd pairing, although I think Diaz struggles playing with Murray as the puck support is not there like it was with Gorges. I like what Murray brings overall, but it will be an adjustment for Diaz. I would prefer Bouillon against certain teams.

• Cal says:

Diaz has to be a lot smarter and quicker than he has been lately. I am still seeing a lot of mistakes when he’s trying to clear the puck.
      And his shooting right at forwards blocking the shot has to stop.
      I’d like to see Pateryn with Murray, actually.

• Phil C says:

I think the mistakes with the puck lately are the result of Murray’s lack of footspeed, so he is unable to get into better positions to recieve a pass fom Diaz to defeat the forecheck. As a result Diaz has no options and makes a mistake. Diaz and Gorges would manoeuvre the puck back and forth several times before going up ice, but that option is not there for Diaz anymore. Not sure Pateryn would be any better in that regard.

Nonetheless, Diaz needs to adjust to that and have more pucks up on the glass and out. It is a bit of a waste of his talents, but maybe necessary while playing on the 3rd pairing.

• Cal says:

It’s more like Diaz isn’t getting to the puck on his side of the ice quick enough. Diaz and Murray rarely pass it D to D, but he can do a better job of flipping the puck out to the other team’s blue line.
          For an offensive Dman, he hasn’t been making too many good tape to tape passes or taking good shots from the point. If he doesn’t get better at that, Beaulieu is waiting for his shot.

• mr_jmac says:

With the best defensive record in the league … I think whatever MT chooses in terms of D pairings … he’s got it right.

• twilighthours says:

I disagree with some of what you wrote, Cal. Diaz has been just great in his own end. He’s a very smart player with an excellent stick, and he’s quick enough to get the job done. He’s even on the season despite playing a good chunk of it on the pairing that is matched up against a scoring line. And he’s the first guy out there to kill penalties, which is a huge strength for the team. He’s actually not very good offensively (so in that regard, he did not come as advertised), but he’s an excellent bottom-pair guy.

• Phil C says:

He hasn’t been brutal offensively either. His 8 points puts him 80th in the league among roughly 240 defensemen, so among the top third. Not bad for a bottom pairing guy.

22. --Habs-- says:

Bergevin won’t make any drastic moves until the young talent can be fully evaluated. Now you may see him make a move for a young forward prospect and give up a defensive prospect.

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

23. ooder says:

i see a lot of posts talking about the drafting days when PG and Gainey were in charge.
    don’t kid yourselves, this was all Trevor timmins and we are lucky to have him in the organization.
    This guy is a beast and is one of the top scouts in the NHL. I am glad he wasn’t driven to lunacy by some of PG and BG stupid trades

• krob1000 says:

Yes Timmins was the hadof Amateur scouting..but PG was involved witht he team during that renure as well. Not giving the gm’s and rest of organization is like not giving Timmins credit for the picks of his European scouts….he also has a team under him….so he is not solely responsible for everyone anymore than the Gm or assistant gm,etc,etc. He listens and trust his scouts jsut as the Gm and assistant Gms lsiten to him….ultimately they are all organziational decisions….

24. Ghosts of the Forum says:

No McCarron at USA’s WJC camp

I don’t think the International sized rink does him any favours. Perhaps if the games were in US or Canada, maybe he gets a look.

• Luke says:

It’ll be interesting to see how he does in London with what should be a depleted lineup and hopefully a more prominent role.

It’s his chance to play more total & more important minutes.

25. shiram says:

Reports of Lundqvist signing for 7 years a 8.5 millions.
    If that’s true, well it makes me appreciate Price’s 6.5 million cap hit.

26. Habfan10912 says:

Since it appeared Breire struggled against the Devils structure, could we see White in for him tonight?

Good question Jim, but I think that old thing about don’t change a winning lineup may come into effect.

I do expect Frankie B. to step in for Murray tonight. Crankshaft will rest up for his date with Ape 1 and Ape 2 tomorrow.

• mdp2011 says:

Although Briere has been playing much better lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the case. He was clearly physically over matched playing against the Jagr line.

27. DeadEnd says:

And here I was just this morning thinking that the Rangers had all kinds of bargaining power over Lundqvist given his sub-par year (in a contract year) and the emergence of Talbot. I guess that’s why I don’t get paid to be a GM.

28. habstrinifan says:

As per TSN, Lundqvist signs for 8plus mill per season long term deal.

Yup, 7 years. 8.5mill per season cap hit.

Next year the Rangers will have 3 players accounting for $23Million of their payroll. Richards, Nash and Lundqvist.

We could be close to that number with Price, Subban and Markov assuming both dmen are signed. But I am hopeful we are about 4 million less.

• Ali says:

I think you might see a Richards compliance buyout next summer…Callahan, Brassard, Girardi are all free agents (RFA/UFA) and they only have 9 players signed as of now for next season.

• shiram says:

That buyout is practically a given.

He is their leading point getter, I think Vigneault was brought in to avoid that buyout.

• shiram says:

They have about 40 millions of signed players for next year, and only 2 D signed, with Girardi and Stralman being UFA’s.
            They have 5 forwards signed for next year, with Callahan and Boyle being UFA’s.
            Kreider will also get a small pay increase from his last deal.

Unless they can move either of Nash or Richards, well somethings bound to happen!

• habstrinifan says:

8MILL … seems to be a figure being thrown around a lot lately.. all over the league. In my books that’s ridiculous. I am a great Subban fan. Like a few posters’s little kids, I just wait during a telecast for the ‘next Subban’ move as I used to for Guy Lafleur. But I can’t be comfortable paying even him $8 mill… maybe with performance bonuses that raises a base salary to 8mill… but not 8mill as a flat salary.

Some posters here are saying Sportsnet is reporting that a deal with is close. I hope it is. Because my gut instincts tell me if it is ‘this close’ then the figure would be closer to $7mill, which would be great.

As you know, I have many issues re the ‘relationship’with Subban and the ‘management’(excluding Molson and that other guy whom Subban mentioned… I think Molson ‘talks’to Subban a lot(not going behind the coach/GM backs) but impressing upon him(Subban) his place in Mtl. And I think, like so many fans, and like me (unabashedly), I think Molson sees Subban as having a significant place in Mtl.

I think MT”S newest statements re Subban in which I see he never used the word ‘thoroughbred’ and in which for the first time he detailed the specific talents of Subban… signals a new approach. While I have held back, I think that a) the fans booing b) comments from a player like Pacioretty about the team being “too much on the heels”and several other factors signal to me a new approach by Therrien… somewhat like the ‘Renaissance Man’ which I have described an earlier attempt at Therrien to adjust.

Anyways what I am saying very clumsily, is that a figure less than $8mill would tell me that the new contract is based more on commitment by both sides to each other (for the good of our franchise) rather than plain old dollars and cents.

Maybe I am wrong like hell. But just my opinion.

29. Habfan10912 says:

Anybody else using the ignore button today? :)

30. Mats Naslund says:

If Bergevin is smart he gets PK locked up soon before the influx of cash into the NHL from the Rogers deal starts having a huge impact on the price of elite talent. Lundqvist just signed a 7 year extension for $8.5M per season. Even if it seems expensive now – it won’t in 2 years. If you can get Markov to sign for 2 more do that now too. Pacioretty’s deal will be incredible in 2015-16 and beyond.

I get the gist of your post, but all the players agents are more than aware already of the increased money coming, the rising cap etc…

We will not be able to hoodwink any of these agents about the increases coming down the pipe. Having said that, contracts written today will indeed probably look more affordable than the ones written 2 years from now.

• Ali says:

exactly, and additionally I read somewhere that agents make use of the advanced stats more than the teams (supposedly) do. So a player with a high corsi, lots of defensive zone starts, etc etc is going to have his agent showing that off.

I also would be shocked if Markov and his NEW agent, settled for anything less than a 4 year deal. It’s likely his last contract.

• Mats Naslund says:

They also use other current contracts as comparables – so my point is to sign them now before things get out of hand. You can still make the case for PK at 7M. Do that now before they start signing lesser guys to contracts north of that.

31. Chuck says:

Happy birthday, Habs! Let’s celebrate with a victory!
    _______________________
    Anything is possible.

32. krob1000 says:

Just for the record Pierre Gauthier did a lot for the organization in his short tenure as GM….he was also the assistant GM and responsible for the pro scoutng for most of Montreal’s key players like Price, patches, SUbban,etc. But to sum it up this is his trade history…I left out the insignificant ones but it is quite impressive.

-He traded Halak for Eller -Palushaj for Dags
    -Gauthier traded a 1st and 2nd rd pick to move up to acquire Tinordi and 4th round pick MAcmillan. The picks he traded ended up being Marc Visentin and OScar Lindberg
    -gave up Sergei for Ellis and Boyd ( I did not like this one…did not like handling of the BElarussians in general)
    -Traded OB for Bournival
    -Traded Lapierre for BRett Festerling and a 5th (HUdon)
    -Gave up a 2nd(Johan Sundstrom) for Wiz
    -Spacek for Kaberle
    -Cammi , Ramo and 5th for Bourque, Holland and 2nd (Fucale)
    -Gill for Geoffrion, Slaney and 2nd pick (Thrower)
    -Andrei K for 2nd (De LA Rose)

Players drafted or acquired during Gauthier either draft, trade while gm or assistant gming still with team:

Forwards: Patches-DD-Gallagher, Gio-Moen, Eller-Bourque, White-Bournival
    Forward prospects still with team: Hudon, Leblanc, Dumont
    he also got rid of everyone and essentially tanked leading to Galchenyuk draft that has laid the foundation for future.

D- Emelin, Subban, Diaz, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gorges

Goalie- Price, Fucale

So to sum it up….Gauthier’s fingerprints are all over this team and while his embarassing Cammi handling and the way kids were handled at the time are outweighed IMO by the personnel that were brought in on his watch or while he was contributing as either involved in pro scouting, assistant Gm or GM. I know he was the director of pro scouting but surely would have been involved in amateur scouting in some capacity given he was director of pro scouting.

Gomez trade worst incident he was involved in and it was BAD, VERY BAD, however it did result in teams deepest playoff run in recent memory. And while not popular I ahve to say he had courage to trade Cammi and Halak after them…ballsy to say the least.

Missing from that list…Pleks, Markov,Murray,Parros …so to say PG was responsible for squandering prospects or picks is not really accurate considering he got back more than he gave up…was hard to see at the time as I was as critical as anyoen but wow…looking at that list it speaks volumes.

• shiram says:

It’s an interesting thought, and maybe we should add in the coaches the team let go.
      Muller and Boucher come to mind.

• mdp2011 says:

“…responsible for the scouitng for most of Montreal’s key players IE Price, patches, SUbban,etc.”

False, Gauthier was a professional scout, not an amateur scout. Trevor Timmons is responsible for the scouting of Price, Patches, Subban, etc…

• krob1000 says:

THis is true…That is not how it was meant …I menat he was involved in organization and someone earlier mentioned the “old regime” that traded players away,etc oimplying they had ruined the team when the “old regime” built the team. The team and foundation was ready ….it needed a change in management…PG was an assistant GM as well when many of the players were drafted and his role as professional scout as well ensues he was invovled still in everything Habs at the time. Timmins was the director of Amateur Scouting and has been amazing but in the end it is the organziation that makes the decisions and I was pointing out all of the palyers involved while PG was invovled…I type these on the fly as the typos attest to so I apologize for writing it tthat way..not what was intended.

• Phil C says:

Several of those picks were the result of tanking in 2011. A big part of the reason for tanking was failing to replace Hamrlik and expecting a rookie to step in as the fourth line centre. Bergevin has made sure he has had a full roster of NHLers at the beginning of each season, so the rookies have to take someone’s job to make it on the team. A better approach I think.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good post

Gauthier was awful with the media and did not allow his personnel to speak with the media. One example was Timmins not allowed to discuss why the Habs drafted a player.

Be bad with the media – make their job hard, and they will try and run you out of town.

They were just looking and waiting and then the birthday present showed up…the hiring of a unilingual coach with zero NHL head coaching experience..

Bombs Away…….

• 24 Cups says:

Rob – I understand your point although there are two sides to the coin. He also traded for Gomez (while losing a top four Dman who is just 24)and offered contracts to Kovalev and Komiarek. The club ended up pissing away over 10M because of his mismanagement. He totally screwed up the Martin/Cunneyworth fiasco.

Spacek for Kaberle was a bad deal. The jury is still out on the Lapierre deal. Halak for Eller is a wash.

As for the tanking (which I assume you include in jest) it was the end result of a total blight that be brought down on the club. Certainly as bad as anything Houle ever did.

• doc359 says:

I’d add how poorly he handled the Cammi deal.

• krob1000 says:

The deal was good…the handling was not…that is the story of his tenure..smart moves handled by a cyborg with no professionalism…yet the overall personnel broughton board while hwas involved in some capac ity speaks for itself. IT was the right move to have someone else come in and manage the talent but PG was there for nearly all of the talent being borught in.

• krob1000 says:

Yes there were bad deals and the Gomez one you know my opinion on that from day one..I was on here ranting like a lunatic immediately because of that contract and thought we should have got the 1st rounder….but overall he had the teams best result in 20 years and laid the foundation for the future. I am not saying he was directly responsible for all of these players…but he was with the organization and this started as I was just responding a comment knocking the “old regime” and pointing out they are responsible for a very impressive rebuild on the fly. There is a misconception the team cleaned its cupboards bare and lost all of their prospects and kept trading for the now…it is just not really correct.

Re the tanking…I actually applaud the team for that…the better way to say it is they acquired assets for their expiring contracts instead of losing them for nothing…but this depletion of the NHL ready talent led to a further plummet in the standings which meant the Habs ended up getting the best player in the draft…call it what you will as I don’t think the goal was to finish as low as possible but that is a natural byproduct of ridding the team of vets for future assets.

• ont fan says:

Every GM out there has a Gomez deal they would like to forget.

• arcosenate says:

Number of cookies saved from being eaten by press: priceless.

33. rhino514 says:

The points about Gauthier are interesting.
    He was an unpleasant guy. Bergevin is guy you WANT to like. He´s great. No arrogance at all.
    But yet, if you look at the histroy of what Gauthier and Gainey did; Max Pac, Subban, Price, Emelin, Gorges, Eller, (not sure about Pleks)….They built the foundation of a pretty solid team.
    Just one big boo-boo which was Gomez.
    Also, Gallagher was drafter pre-Bergevin, so the only real guy he is responsible for so far is Chucky and he kind of fell into his lap.
    As likeable as Bergevin is, he is currently reaping the fruit of his predecessors.
    What I´m saying is MB is a likeable guy, but 4 or 5 years from now We may realize he did not have the savvy of either of his predecessors.

• shiram says:

Time will tell on Bergevin, he has not done alot to this team yet, outside of improving management, and people around the team like nutrionists or psychologists etc…

• habstrinifan says:

I am late to the recognition but I think his addition of Murray to the team is a BIG BIG acquisition. Habs has not had a defenceman with that size and that steadiness for a long long time. Hal Gill was good in the very ‘boxed-in’ confines of JM’s e crease-crowding defence system. But Murray’s play is defensively way better. He may well turn out to be the most important ‘minor acquisition’ of MB…and may turn out to be a playoff-stalwart.

I see Murray as becoming a bigger ‘playoff factor’ than Briere.

Just my opinion.

Now don’t get me wrong. I am not overlooking his lack of speed or real mobility. But he ddoesnt need either for the type of game he is playing now.

• shiram says:

You say Big Big acquisition first, then say it was a “minor acquisition”.
          Sure he helps, he fills a need, but he’s a bottom pairing D.
          It’s also a one year deal, and might not re-sign.

• habstrinifan says:

You are right. Weird contradiction. But to explain myself. He is what you would consider a ‘minor acquisition…. a tweak talent wise. But in terms of impact, I think he may prove to be BIG.

He is a bottom pairing as you say. But he has been absolutely effective on the P.K. And he plays his ‘bottom minutes’ if you will, very effectively.

• krob1000 says:

I think that is his improvement…Gauthier brought in enough talent…but as emntioned below it was the handling and nurturing of that talent that he was not putting enough efforts towards. The culture was lacking and MB has changed that and classed up the organization again if you will. Between PG’s acquisitions and personnel and MB’s ensuring this generation of yonger talent is handled properly team looks in very good shape moving forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Why the negative projection of Bergevin?
      From here, will follow the advice of Ken Holland when he states it takes 10 years to be able to fully evaluate the body of work of any GM.
      Bergevin has all of a strike shortened season and another 27 games under his belt…

• mdp2011 says:

Disagree. While the Gainey/Gauthier duo might have drafted/traded for those players, they were seriously lacking in the player development area. Bergervin greatest accomplishment to date is the strengthening of the front office and coaching staffs. You can see this reward immediately with the way the young players are being handled which is night and day with the Gainey/Gauthier era. Also, the Gainey/Gauthier duo with all the good things they did, they are also responsible for monumental blunders that set the franchise back a few years.

• rhino514 says:

No question MB has changed the “energy” surrounding the team, the thing is it is really hard to evaluate the tangible effects of that.
        It is quite possible that players, speciifcally young pleyers, feel less stifled and pressured and this is good for their game.
        The coach selection….I don´t hate therrien as many on here do, but I think he is a stopgap, not bad, not good, probably convenient at the time because he´s better with kids than his predecessor.
        As one poster said, it will take at leats 8 years before we can evaluate his work.

34. rhino514 says:

So what´s up with Gionta? Is he done?
    4 goals.
    Funny everyone talks about all the other players as soon as they go through a bit of a slump, but everyone has stayed mum on the only guy who is visibly underperforming this year at this point (since wee Davey seems to be back)
    I guess he gets a pass because he is the captain and a nice guy and backchecks?

• Say Ash says:

Curious: Do any team’s captains play regularly on the third or fourth lines?

I haven’t been able to see much of the past few games as I haven’t been home to watch them. But a few games ago he left the ice holding his arm. I still worry he has done some kind of re-injury to his biceps, probably me being paranoid.

He does indeed play a responsible 200 foot hockey game which indeed buys him some grace, but no doubt he is struggling from an offensive perspective.

• AliHaba says:

Yeah, concerned about him too. But he does give some positives. Penalty killing and team defense are near the top of the league and he’s a big part of those. I certainly wouldn’t entertain thoughts of trading him but the Habs would need a very long play-off run before he’d be offered another contract.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Gionta plays with Plekanec
      Plekanec’s line is always up against the best the other team has to offer
      Gionta is + 2
      he may have given up some offense to make sure the best on the other team doesn’t score

• rhino514 says:

If Gionta´s 4 goals get a pass because his line is being used primarily as a shut-down line (which would be interesting to confirm), then that would make Plekanec in my mind the MVP of this team no question. His offensive stats don´t suffer at all AND he shuts down the other team´s best players.

• shiram says:

I think Pleky could crack 70 points in an exploitation role with the right wingers.
          But that’s not his lot, and he still manages 55-60 points a season, while indeed facing top opposition.

• shiram says:

Pleks the only guy that can produce as a top 6 forward on that line, while facing the opposition they are tasked with.

• JUST ME says:

Such a shallow point of view ! Might as well say the same about Carey !
      As soon as a guy doesnot score 50 goals he is no good. Did you see Gio get involved in every battles ? Obviously not ! He does the small things that someone who only wants goals does not see. Same with Moen , same with Diaz but they do not score 50 goals !

Look at how the team is doing and stop looking at individuals and overanalysing.

• mr_jmac says:

I think Gionta has been playing excellent this year. Great speed and forechecking. He has had a lot of chances where the bounces went the other way. With the role he is in … if he is underperforming it is not by uch.

Is he overpaid for his work … probably but that is usually the case in the last year of contract for players his age.

35. Strummer says:

Leafs lost again last night. (YAY!!)
    Carlyle post-game had some intelligent things to say- he questions why a legal body check has to be challenged physically by a teammate, which led to a PP goal for Sharks.

However intelligent he seems he goes and dresses Orr or McLaren or both game after game when his team is thin on talent as it is, which is not very intelligent.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Good points Strummer, Nonis spent to the very cap this year and they have little to no depth to call up now that they have injuries. I agree 100% how exposed they are in dressing both Orr and McLaren, rendering the entire 4th line useless from playing hockey. In addition, to try and compensate for them in the lineup, double shifting two players instead of just one (when we have Parros in lineup) is far more taxing on the forwards.

They will improve as players come back from injury, but Bolland is still out long term and now Bozak left the game again.

The Grabovski buyout is looking worse and worse for that team by the day.

• AliHaba says:

It’s entertaining watching things snowball in Toronto. I just hope it continues. They have a brutal December schedule. To see them miss the play-offs would be a real treat. I’m surrounded by Loafs fans here and it would do me the world of good to see them fail….again.

• roblack says:

They have failed every year since 1967,why would this year be any different?

HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

• AliHaba says:

By making the play-offs and taking the Bruins to 7 games most Leaf fans looked at last year as the first step to Stanley Cup contention.

• DAVE. N says:

A lot of people thought the Grabovski buyout was a messy situation; Looking at the roster and injuries TO has, with the center issue and the money they threw at Bozak,and the elite status they have given to Kadri, I suggest the fish they let of the hook was Clark McArthur .

36. krob1000 says:

Next week they should have the cap number at the Board of Governors meeting for next season they are saying on TSN

37. doc359 says:

Can we end it with the thoughts of trading Max-Pac, Eller, or Beaulieu or Tinordi? Those are the types of players that will help us win long into the future, and trading them away for short term fixes is the exact type of logic that got the last regime fired. Don’t think MB is about to do it.

38. FANHABULOUS says:

Excited about the Boston game (not that I’m looking past the Devils tonight). But I’m eager to see how Parros and Murray influence things against the Goons.

Apparently, they’ve been playing Chara in front of the net on their powerplays a lot recently. Tjis is from Elliot Friedman:

“Chara is playing the front of the net on the power play, one of the strategies for dealing with his ice-time. Torey Krug’s hot start eases the loss of Chara’s shot at the point with the added bonus that the massive defenceman doesn’t need to go back and retrieve it. He gets almost three minutes a game with the extra man and, if that happens without a lot of extra skating, it’s a big bonus for Boston.”

So, looks like Murray will have a specific assignment of thursday. Move that neanderthal out of the crease.

I think Crankshaft will have a great game!

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

39. The Teacher says:

I really don’t see any way they leave subban off the Olympic team.

The fact that it’s on the bigger ice surface makes the situation even more mind boggling.

40. Phil C says:

I have to give Bettman some credit, he has certainly fixed the business of hockey, or at least improved it significantly. A 30 team league actually see viable now and if most teams stuck to a budget, they would be in the black.

However, now that the business of hockey is set for the foreseeable future, it’s time to turn attention to the game itself. Reading MRon’s comments below about how boring hockey is becoming is a good example of how the on-ice product needs an overhaul. Elliotte Friedman said as much in his most recent 30 thoughts.

When Apple Inc. needed to be saved after a “business guy” nearly bankrupted the company, they didn’t go get another business guy, they brought Steve Jobs back in, a computer guy, someone who understood the product. IMO, that is what the NHL needs now. It’s time to separate the business responsibilities of the Commissioner’s role, and limit the New Commissioner’s role to preserving the integrity of the game. To do that properly, they need to bring in a product guy, someone who has played and worked in hockey his entire life. If they can improve the on-ice product, it should also help the business side in the long run.

As well, if the league brought in a Commissioner with credibility from a hockey perspective, it might help prevent the constant bickering with the NHLPA on every rule change. It should at least help build more trust between the players and the League.

• Eddie says:

How about Gretzky?

• habs-fan-84 says:

There’s no doubt Bettman has grown the game and revenues significantly during his tenure. However, as the cap rises and thus the floor rises I expect to see a few franchises in trouble in the next few years. So it all may be roses now, but I wouldn’t expect to stay like this for very long.

With regards to the on ice product, I wish the NHL had mandated a larger ice surface years ago – before most of the new arena’s started to get built. There’s no room for the players to move and really showcase their skills. It’s almost painful to watch at times – the ice just gets so clogged up. I predict it will be difficult to go back to NHL hockey after watching the Olympics.

• Phil C says:

“With regards to the on ice product, I wish the NHL had mandated a larger ice surface years ago – before most of the new arena’s started to get built.”

That’s why you need a hockey guy in charge, to recognize the value of opportunities like that.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I hear the new goal is to build rinks 200 m by 200 m in the next couple of years….I’m sorry to be sarcastic but man how can you know all this about the future of the game. The troubles you suggest have always been there and always will be…it’s called greed.

The Olympics is high intensity hockey for a few games…do you seriously think that can be maintained over a 82 game schedule.

Remember the stanley cup playoffs by chance…..very high intensity hockey….a few games and it is over……watch the NJ Devils…do you honestly think a larger ice surface would in anyones wildest dreams improve their look…I think it would only highlight that two teams playing are using the strengths of their players against another team to win…if you are not as fast or don’t have a transition game you have to slow down the other teams offense whatever way you can…….fundamental hockey sense.

• AliHaba says:

One gripe I have with the NHL is that there are too many rule changes. Every summer they’re talking about doing this or that. My opinion is that they should leave the rules as is for a change with two notable exceptions: 1) get rid of the staged fights and 2) get rid of the shootout.

• frontenac1 says:

Gretz would probably get rid of the Instigator Rule which would be good.

• Luke says:

The instigator… the biggest red herring in all hockey conversations for the last 25 years.

Instigator rule does nothing to prevent fighting. If it’s worth a fight to police, (Emelin breaking his stick across Seguin’s ribs) it’s worth the extra 10 minutes (or misconduct, not short handed).

In my above example, Chara tooks the extra 10 minutes for instigating. Big Loss, for sure, but this instigator discussion rervolves around the Parros’ and Orrs’. No one would notice if they sat an extra 10 minutes (or were tossed from the game entirely).

The only place the instigator may be having a noticable effect is when the refs ACTUALLY started calling this season on fights after clean hits.

• frontenac1 says:

Who wants to get rid of fighting?
            Well, maybe that stupid ring around the rosie nonsense. Those should get Ten Minutes. But good toe to toe scraps should stay at 5min.

• Luke says:

Front, my comment had nothing to do with the argument for or against fighting. It was just a comment that the belief that instigator is in someway hindering the ability of a guy to “police the game” is laughable.

You can fight with the instigator rule. I suppose you need to ask why people don’t.

• frontenac1 says:

Sorry amigo, haven’t had a drink yet today so I’m not reading right. But Symenko and McSorley built their careers on riding shotgun for Gretz when he was on the ice. Nobody touched him. He has stated so. There was no instigator rule then.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Good post AliHaba……I agree wholeheartedly…….

• Strummer says:

Smaller rosters would leave less talented players out of the line-ups.
      More skilled players playing longer shifts would create more scoring opportunities and more chances for mistakes.
      3 forward lines and 4 or 5 defencemen?
      All less boring.
      Too much cycling right now in the O-Zone.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Cal says:

As the evidence that Gretzky is needed in the NHL mounts, Phil is first with his suggestion of “someone who has played and worked in hockey his entire life.”
      Makes sense. Perhaps, the compensation package might be the NHL’s first steps in getting him back. Greats like him shouldn’t fade away like he has since stopping to coach the Yotes.

• AliHaba says:

Cohon of the CFL impressed me around Grey Cup time. Don’t know if he has much hockey knowledge but I’m sure he has as much as Bettman when he started.

Mentioned yesterday that Gino Odjick is having some struggles these days, here is an update from the Vancouver Sun.

42. sCOTT1243 says:

Bring back the EGG line tonight!

43. SmartDog says:

I’m torn about this Movember thing.

Is it wrong that to me it sounds like not much money for all the attention this generates in the NHL? The TOP team in the league (ours) raised under 60K with over a month of involvement?

One player could personally raise that much in a month with a couple of appearances. Not to throw cold water on any fundraising effort (and the Habs do a lot), but when I started hearing numbers about this it just seems like a head-scratcher. 20+ guys AND the owner change their appearance for a month and raise an average of under 3k each. And that’s the best in the NHL.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Hstands4Hockey says:

My first thought as well, but you have to remember it’s as much about awareness as it is raising actual dollars. Not to mention their leadership surely encouraged others to start their own fundraising initiatives.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

44. krob1000 says:

Not very long but good insight to Jack Nevins….Ottawa wanted him , greew up a Leaf fan…but now “hates them” lol …sounds like a quality kid!

• monmick says:

Ottawa desprerately needs a replacement for Neil. He’s been very ineffective in his role this year, and I suspect his past due date is quickly approaching.

Glad the Habs were able to sign him…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

45. Phil C says:

Evander Kane vs Pacioretty? I think I would take Pacioretty right now. Pacioretty just seems to have more overall offensive upside to his game, I can see him being a 40-50 goal scorer easily. Kane reminds me more of an Eric Cole type of player: Strong north-south game with speed who will score you 30-40 a year. Yes, he brings the added dimension of toughness, but I not sure it’s worth giving up goals just because he gets into 2-3 fights a year. For non-fighting/intimidation toughness, Pacioretty being 25 lbs heavier is probably a harder player to handle in general.

Of course Kane is only 22 so his game could improve a lot by the time his is 25, and he may make me eat my words by then. But it’s hard to know which players will continue to grow and which ones will not. Stastny was almost a PPG player from 22- 24, yet he has not been able to match that production in the last three years. Right now, Pacioretty is more of a sure thing offensively.

• adadi says:

Kane any day and twice on Sunday. Patches has a good shot but he is not the smartest player on the ice. Patches is also streaky and softer than Kane. Not a chance that the Jets make this deal straight up.

• AliHaba says:

I wonder if Kane plays on the power play AND kills penalties.

• Phil C says:

Kane doesn’t have the highest hockey IQ either and is not much of a play-maker. I think he is overrated, especially given his off-ice crap and run-ins with the coach.

I think you are right about Winnipeg not trading him straight up, but that would be based on potential, not actual performance. Winnipeg would be crazy to give up on him at this point unless the return was great. I just think Kane for Pacioretty straight up would not improve the Habs’ team this year.

• Eddie says:

Trading Max makes no sense. None. Unless Max asks to be traded because he is somehow unhappy here, I would put Max along side Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher in the category of “core” players who I absolutely want to keep.

I also really like Eller a lot. But he is just outside my core right now.