Morning-after musings

With his 104th goal, Tomas Plekanec tied Stéphan Lebeau and Kirk Muller for 50th on the Canadiens all-time list.

No team does ceremony better – Dave Stubbs

We have to be better, Gionta says of his line – Stubbs postgame column

TB is for real – Red Fisher

• Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Pierre Ladouceur’s analysis in La Presse

• JT’s game notes

And in case you missed it

n9V-BgBVPrE

1. habaddict_andy says:

Considering where he was before last year and the fact that he did not know french before that, you need to put it in perspective.  Expecting these players to learn french considering their busy schedule is asking a lot.  I hope everyone else had that in their mind and appreciate the effort Gionta made last night.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

2. notbigbird says:

Gomez impressed me in the playoffs, but not so far this season.

I’ve always agreed with you about Boucher. On top of that I’m nt a JM fan. I think we accomplished what we did last year in spite of him, not because of him. But that’s just my opinion.

3. MathMan says:

The Habs have guys who will go to the net (come on down, Mr. Gionta) but the reason they don’t do it in practice is they simply don’t get the chance. You need to be in the offensive zone to do that and the Habs spend too much time in the defensive zone. Ryan Malone would get wasted on this club.

4. Exit716 says:

If the Habs are relying on either Pouliot or Kostitsyn to regularly crash the net with effectiveness, here’s a tip. Get out the tapes of last year’s playoff run and watch them over and over. Neither one is going to do it consistently, and you’re going to be very disappointed and frustrated with this season. I was impressed with Tampa’s uptempo style. Oh well, three more years of Martin and Gauthier to deal with. Eller did nothing last night of any significance.

5. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t know about what you guys think, since the captain was named, Cammalleri seem to have a chip on his shoulder or what.  Taking bad penalty last night was unlike him.

6. SmartDog says:

Good assessment. He’s a smart kid and full of energy and determination to succeed. He’ll work it out and be better and better.  O’Byrne on the other hand…..

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

7. Bugs says:

No one is excluded from playing better, Newf.

“Yay, you’ve hit your ceiling, kid. Now, you can stop striving to become better. All the others, yes; you, no. Cammy, Plecky, they can play better, but not you.”

Something like that? No, sir.

If he had gotten a shut-out, we woulda won. So he can play better too.

Decadently yours, I recline as

8. CanadienBoy says:

Those two need a heart transplant .

9. Chuck says:

Subban will be fine. He’s full of youthful exuberance; now he’s got to learn to focus that energy in the NHL.

In the AHL, where his raw talent made him a biggish fish in a smallish pond, he could more easily cover his mistakes with his speed. Now he’s playing against guys that are as good or better than him, so now he’s got to learn to pick his spots. Yeah, he’s got a great slapshot, but with a forward bearing down on him he’s either going to a) have the shot blocked, or b) be poke-checked, creating a turnover. In that case, an accurate, quick-release wrist shot would be preferable.

A couple of times last night he also got himself into trouble my making ill-advised rushes and pinches… again, turning over the puck instead of making the smart play to keep the Lightning on their heels. When in doubt, make sure that you get it deep in their zone.

It’s all about situational awareness. Right now he seems to get a case of tunnel vision, which automatically decreases his playmaking options.

PK’s got all of the other tools, and he’s going to be great; now he’s got to learn how to most effectively apply them this at level of play.

10. Bugs says:

English media won’t be on his back cuz they don’t give a damn about French culture, right?

Decadently yours, I recline as

11. SmartDog says:

CORRECTION: #3 should say “it WASN’T Jacques Martin’s team”.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

12. larisalapointe says:

No but showing some passion might incite the team.

13. falconea says:

First of all, Boone I love your blog and thank you for writing it.  However, I have to disagree with you on the lack of size.  Benoit Pouliot is only an inch shorter then Malone, and Kostitsyn is not a small man either.  Both of these players are more skilled then Malone and we would benefit from them crashing the net.  I believe this team has the size they just don”t use it.

14. habsguy says:

Ian, I agree with most of what said,  except the Leafs part,  they should be 1-2,  we should have beat them, and lastnight, although I didn’t see it, I heard the 3rd period on the radio and the leafs were not in this one!

15. Exit716 says:

I really think Gomez is going to be crucified this year. It isn’t going to be pretty.

16. SmartDog says:

5 THOUGHTS.

1. PRICE. Go Pricey. I have not been easy on you.  But you are the ONLY reason this team had a chance last night.  Good on ya.  Forget about this one, but remember how you played.

2. SUBBAN. Also not your fault…. the loss was a team loss. But not your best game either.

3. THE BOLTS. So Boucher is no big deal… the Bolts will finish in the bottom again… blah, blah, blah.  The man is a master motivator and ONE team came out with ALL GUNS FIRING.  And it was Jacques Martin’s team.   I’ve said it a hundred times, Boucher is a VERY VERY good coach, who WILL live up to the hype.

4. CEREMONY. Re. Stubbs note on ceremony… yeah, no one does it better.  That’s what I want in a hockey team – GOOD CEREMONIES! Too bad we can’t say that about scoring. Or defense. Or power plays. Or….

5. GOMEZ. I laid off Gomez toward the end of last year, and since. But watching him play and skate around and around while dishing the puck to people in awkward ways is pissing me off.  He’s too small, plays too small a game, he CAN’T win the zone without half the time giving up the puck, and he’s never going to be a #1 center in the NHL.

Sad fate last night.  But well deserved.

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

17. Mr-T says:

Good process summary.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

18. Matt_in_TO says:

Anyone have a link to the pre-game video from last night?  Not the player introductions that’s already posted, but the video played before.  I checked YouTube and there’s 2 short clips but not the whole thing.

- In Price We Trust