Morning-after musings

With his 104th goal, Tomas Plekanec tied Stéphan Lebeau and Kirk Muller for 50th on the Canadiens all-time list.

No team does ceremony better – Dave Stubbs

We have to be better, Gionta says of his line – Stubbs postgame column

TB is for real – Red Fisher

• Pat Hickey’s game story

Quotes from the room

Pierre Ladouceur’s analysis in La Presse

• JT’s game notes

And in case you missed it

1. Storm Man says:

He just hands out books. That is more his style.

2. TomNickle says:

Thirty quality shots against in a hockey game is a game you want to put out of your mind.  And when it results in a loss, it’s embarrassing.

3. habs youngtimer says:

he actually teaches?

4. Halak the Franchise says:

I would expect to see fewer shots against from most teams.  Tampa’s system calls for everybody throwing everything they can at the net at every opportunity.  That’s why the shots were so high last night.  There were maybe 30 quality shots and another 18 that really weren’t much of a threat.  Thirty shots isn’t ideal either but it’s not much outside what most teams allow on a normal night.  The defence isn’t that bad.  It’s still lucky that Price was excellent because a lot of those 30 quality shots were hard to stop.

5. Storm Man says:

And Martin could try and be a better coach and see his defensive discipline style of coaching is not working.

6. Fansincebirth says:

Unfortunately, I missed a lot of the game last night but what I saw was somewhat reminiscent of previous years. We gain the o-zone but can’t sustain any pressure, scramble in our own zone while our D looks like they are wearing cement skates, PP is a mess and of course (as a true fan), I want to blame the refs for everything.

Yes, the refs had a hand in things last night but don’t they always and in most games all over the league? We were out hustled, out worked and out scored. Carey shone like a beacon though.

7. Bugs says:

He coulda stopped the OT goal. He coulda done that.

Decadently yours, I recline as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central:

8. TomNickle says:

Like maybe a Lars Eller?

9. TomNickle says:

Price was excellent.  I appreciate you seeing that.

Gomez needs to get going.  But other players do too.  Our faceoffs outside of Halpern have been dreadful.  Might be time to put Lapierre in there instead of Boyd and Cammalleri in there instead of Plekanec.  It’s early, but they struggled last season too and this can’t continue in the defensive zone and on the powerplay.

PK, in my view, didn’t make contact with the Lightning player, maybe I need to watch it again but I’ve seen it twice and still didn’t see contact of any kind.  No penalty.

Lapierre deserved his major.  Downie was vulnerable in that he was 4-6 feet from the boards.  You can argue that his positioning is his own fault.  But players are instructed not to violently check players in that position because it will often lead to a major penalty.  Downie wasn’t able to protect himself from the hit, cross check, whatever you want to call it, and that’s why they called it a major penalty.

I do however have a problem with Downie dropping his gloves, throwing punches and four officials not seeing that and not making a penalty call on him.

Cammalleri and Subban especially need to get their heads out of their butts.  Both are tremendously important to our powerplay and can’t be taking stupid penalties when we’re on the powerplay.  Lesser players would be benched for that.

10. Clay4bc says:

48 shots against? Our D is exactly as bad as it seems.

Back in the day, they used to say that the best defence is a good offence. Maybe JM should start the boys playing a more agressive game up front.

As for leaving Price alone…if he keeps playing this well, the only attention he will get is positive attention.

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to make yourself look stupid.

11. Storm Man says:

Why would Martin do that? Does he not teach defensive discipline?

12. blu3chip says:

imho, an OT loss this early in the season doesn’t mean much. The most important thing is Price plays well and has a good start, and which will hopefully take some pressure off the poor kid.

Our D isn’t as bad as it seems, as we have seen in our miracle playoff run. They are capable to play much more solid games.

I hope we focus all our attention on our forwards/defencemen/coaches/GM and leave Price alone.

13. Bugs says:

Decadently yours, I recline as

14. DavidKB says:

Yeah, I’m impressed with Price, and Gomez has been a step behind most of the time so far this season.

Last year it was pretty much a sure thing that he’d carry the puck into the opposition’s end after circling in his own end or taking a pass at speed. Now? That goal against Pittsburgh was a fluke; people would be screaming for sure if Price had let that in.

15. Bugs says:

What’s the issue with ME? I’m not on the ice; I’m not behind the bench. I don’t see an issue with me at all.

Decadently yours, I recline as

16. avatar_58 says:

I have zero confidence that our team can win if the goalie is less than average. Imagine if Auld were in last night? Ugg….

17. HabFanSince72 says:

Or maybe a Guillaume Latendresse (Wild version).

18. Bugs says:

Agree top to bottom. Will add that Poolio played better than Gio, Eller and AK (goal and all) last night.

If he could’ve converted that laser he sent just left of the post coming down between the circles…gaah!

He’s gettin there, he’s gettin there.

Decadently yours, I recline as

19. shiram says:

I see it as a small guy, that will be targetted by other teams, showing up and making sure that he will not be pushed and shoved down…

Kinda being be the aggressor before you get targeted.

Hopefully he can keep his cool and concentrate on scoring.

20. larisalapointe says:

Is it just me, or does Jacques Martin seem like Bruce Willis’ character in ”The sixth Sense”?

He’s dead but doesn’t know it? How about a whole bunch of yelling and swearing at bad calls for once?

21. habaddict_andy says:

I would say AK 75 to 80%.  He played good last night.  Didn’t cough up the puck.  Made good move that created chances.  I think Eller should get a chance with GG.  Did anyone see the miss of Pouliot from Gomez pass to the front of the net?  You can’t miss that unless your somewhere else in the universe if you know what I mean.

But over all we did good but could’ve done better.  Price was hot last night.  That stop on Stamkos’ break away was sick.  Let’s not give the puck to O’Byrne in our own zone anymore please, he might hurt spectators.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

22. shiram says:

I liked the opening game last night, and while I would have loved to see a win for our Habs, it still made for some interesting hockey.

This is still the start of a new season, and there are still bugs and synchronicity issues. Passes that we’re intercepted or just bad passes, discipline is an issue also and the number of shots allowed cannot stay that high. Wouldnt hurt either if we shot more…

Price was outstanding, and I was very happy to see him perform so.

It seems to me our issue is more to do with defence, as of now our goaltending has been good.

AK seemed to be more into the game than his usual self as well, so as long as he keeps putting more and more out there on the ice, he should have a decent season.

Pretty cool of Gio to annouce players in french.

23. Bugs says:

Oh, my…ouch.

Ouch, Stormie.

Decadently yours, I recline as

24. Clay4bc says:

It’s easy to sum up this game…

Price was good.

Gomez is a waste of money.

7 plus million for this? What a joke.

People bitching about the PK call…what was far worse (IMO) was the Lapierre major penalty. He deserved 2, and Tampa deserved 4. Instead, we got 5, and they got 2. Despite this…the refs didn’t win the game for the Bolts – the Habs lost it with terrible play. Except Pleks and his line – who were great.

25. Storm Man says:

No your wrong again. The English madia don’t give a damn about you.

26. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I hope he cools down a bit, or the other teams are going to see that getting under his skin is a sure way to get on the PP.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. punkster says:

My view:

• While I like PK he played like a rookie
    • This JM tendancy to sit on a lead is frustrating
    • Pouliot missed a couple of sweet opportunities but if he keeps working he’ll capitalize
    • Gionta was a step behind all night, out of character for him
    • Gomez works his butt off but his line mates didn’t help him much
    • OB made a couple of gaffs but overall seems better
    • Cammy is in a fog but I doubt that will continue for long
    • AK looked to be at 50% which I suppose is better than the 10% we got last season
    • I feel for Pleks having a 50% AK and a foggy Cammy so far
    • Eller looks good so far
    • Price is playing well, good to see
    • Gorges is solid
    • Good work by the 3rd and 4th lines
    • Overall some good, some bad.

Lots of bandwagoners after only 3 games. The usual Negative Nellies, Reality Rhondas, doom and gloomers
    who love to put down the team and claim they know everything all the
    time. I expect the usual suspects to be vocal whether we win or lose. Long way to go.

28. fbkj says:

i dont disagree about the penalties its the since gionta was named captain bit

i think your overthinking on this part

29. Mattyleg says:

I believe that it’s not only physical size that we’re talking about here, but ‘presence’ size. The tallest man on Earth is of no use if he doesn’t have the agressiveness to back up his build.

Sean Avery is what, 5’10”? He doesn’t move an inch from in front of the net, and Holmstrom was never a giant.

“It is the bigness in here (taps chest) which counts.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. habaddict_andy says:

The slashing during pre-season and the stupid penalty he made last night and the game before, I’m wondering what Cammalleri is thinking.  I love his skills and I defended him (not his salshing) when people were calling him stupid.  But this guys has to be careful not to make stupid penalties.  I hope I’m wrong but I’m wondering what he is thinking.

31. jimmy shaker says:

The one on Hedman I believe, yes, that was a bad penalty, but the one Tbay scored on for cammy’s shoulder nudge on St.louis that he totally sucked the ref into was horrible. I just wish one day a ref would have the balls to call a dive and a dive only, not off setting minors.

32. Mattyleg says:

Don’t think putting our #2 in is ‘throwing away points’, but I’m sure AA is happy for your vote of confidence.

Playing a goalie two nights in a row is a bad idea any time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. SmartDog says:

I agree that bad penalties are unlike him.  But I’d think it more likely he’s just trying to start the season off with a bang and pushing the limits.  He’s a very competitive guy, a winner.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

34. habaddict_andy says:

Considering where he was before last year and the fact that he did not know french before that, you need to put it in perspective.  Expecting these players to learn french considering their busy schedule is asking a lot.  I hope everyone else had that in their mind and appreciate the effort Gionta made last night.

35. notbigbird says:

Gomez impressed me in the playoffs, but not so far this season.

I’ve always agreed with you about Boucher. On top of that I’m nt a JM fan. I think we accomplished what we did last year in spite of him, not because of him. But that’s just my opinion.

36. MathMan says:

The Habs have guys who will go to the net (come on down, Mr. Gionta) but the reason they don’t do it in practice is they simply don’t get the chance. You need to be in the offensive zone to do that and the Habs spend too much time in the defensive zone. Ryan Malone would get wasted on this club.

37. Exit716 says:

If the Habs are relying on either Pouliot or Kostitsyn to regularly crash the net with effectiveness, here’s a tip. Get out the tapes of last year’s playoff run and watch them over and over. Neither one is going to do it consistently, and you’re going to be very disappointed and frustrated with this season. I was impressed with Tampa’s uptempo style. Oh well, three more years of Martin and Gauthier to deal with. Eller did nothing last night of any significance.

38. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t know about what you guys think, since the captain was named, Cammalleri seem to have a chip on his shoulder or what.  Taking bad penalty last night was unlike him.

39. SmartDog says:

Good assessment. He’s a smart kid and full of energy and determination to succeed. He’ll work it out and be better and better.  O’Byrne on the other hand…..

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

40. Bugs says:

No one is excluded from playing better, Newf.

“Yay, you’ve hit your ceiling, kid. Now, you can stop striving to become better. All the others, yes; you, no. Cammy, Plecky, they can play better, but not you.”

Something like that? No, sir.

If he had gotten a shut-out, we woulda won. So he can play better too.

Decadently yours, I recline as

41. CanadienBoy says:

Those two need a heart transplant .

42. Chuck says:

Subban will be fine. He’s full of youthful exuberance; now he’s got to learn to focus that energy in the NHL.

In the AHL, where his raw talent made him a biggish fish in a smallish pond, he could more easily cover his mistakes with his speed. Now he’s playing against guys that are as good or better than him, so now he’s got to learn to pick his spots. Yeah, he’s got a great slapshot, but with a forward bearing down on him he’s either going to a) have the shot blocked, or b) be poke-checked, creating a turnover. In that case, an accurate, quick-release wrist shot would be preferable.

A couple of times last night he also got himself into trouble my making ill-advised rushes and pinches… again, turning over the puck instead of making the smart play to keep the Lightning on their heels. When in doubt, make sure that you get it deep in their zone.

It’s all about situational awareness. Right now he seems to get a case of tunnel vision, which automatically decreases his playmaking options.

PK’s got all of the other tools, and he’s going to be great; now he’s got to learn how to most effectively apply them this at level of play.

43. Bugs says:

English media won’t be on his back cuz they don’t give a damn about French culture, right?

Decadently yours, I recline as

44. SmartDog says:

CORRECTION: #3 should say “it WASN’T Jacques Martin’s team”.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

45. falconea says:

First of all, Boone I love your blog and thank you for writing it.  However, I have to disagree with you on the lack of size.  Benoit Pouliot is only an inch shorter then Malone, and Kostitsyn is not a small man either.  Both of these players are more skilled then Malone and we would benefit from them crashing the net.  I believe this team has the size they just don”t use it.

46. habsguy says:

Ian, I agree with most of what said,  except the Leafs part,  they should be 1-2,  we should have beat them, and lastnight, although I didn’t see it, I heard the 3rd period on the radio and the leafs were not in this one!

47. Exit716 says:

I really think Gomez is going to be crucified this year. It isn’t going to be pretty.

48. SmartDog says:

1. PRICE. Go Pricey. I have not been easy on you.  But you are the ONLY reason this team had a chance last night.  Good on ya.  Forget about this one, but remember how you played.

2. SUBBAN. Also not your fault…. the loss was a team loss. But not your best game either.

3. THE BOLTS. So Boucher is no big deal… the Bolts will finish in the bottom again… blah, blah, blah.  The man is a master motivator and ONE team came out with ALL GUNS FIRING.  And it was Jacques Martin’s team.   I’ve said it a hundred times, Boucher is a VERY VERY good coach, who WILL live up to the hype.

4. CEREMONY. Re. Stubbs note on ceremony… yeah, no one does it better.  That’s what I want in a hockey team – GOOD CEREMONIES! Too bad we can’t say that about scoring. Or defense. Or power plays. Or….

5. GOMEZ. I laid off Gomez toward the end of last year, and since. But watching him play and skate around and around while dishing the puck to people in awkward ways is pissing me off.  He’s too small, plays too small a game, he CAN’T win the zone without half the time giving up the puck, and he’s never going to be a #1 center in the NHL.

Sad fate last night.  But well deserved.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

49. Mr-T says:

Good process summary.

Support Carey Price        “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

50. Matt_in_TO says:

Anyone have a link to the pre-game video from last night?  Not the player introductions that’s already posted, but the video played before.  I checked YouTube and there’s 2 short clips but not the whole thing.

– In Price We Trust

51. Bob Barker says:

Definitely Malone.

Moore is basically the same player as Jeff Halpern.

52. SmartDog says:

Malone or Moore.  Fack.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

53. Mattyleg says:

You da man, OneTimer.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

54. Mattyleg says:

Utter nonsense.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. habs03 says:

PK stick did hit the player, the way P.K uses his stick its bound to happen once in a while. on the Malone play on Boyd I think it was a no call, no just out-muscled him to the puck, it was stick on stick. I too wish JM would show more fire, but I think its best to have a calm head coach, becuase you have a guy like Kirky that is emotional on the bench. Did you guys see Guy Boucher going a bit nuts on the bench, while that is good with young players, when the system doesn’t work and your team is stuggle that how coach seem to loss the room.

56. Mr-T says:

It was not Martin’s coaching expertise, that got the Habs past Washington and Pittsburgh. It is only the third game, unfortunately as long as he remains the coach, then regardless of the number of games that are played, it is par for the course. PG failed to make the necessary and obvious changes required during the hiatus. It is deja vu 2009-10.

Support Carey Price      “Hypocrisy is not a virtue”

57. Aaron13 says:

Subban will make rookie mistakes but he wants to WIN – always. He’s the only rushing defenceman we have but the rest of the team have to position themselves if he does so. PK is a quick study and will progress rapidly.

I have no use for Gomez as indicated by his play. Poor passing, and skating into low percentage shot zones. He’ll never change his style.

As for Martin, there are better coaches out there. Of course he was hired because he was bilingual. He had good teams in Ottawa with no significant results. This guy is non-reactive with an inability to see beyond his nose. At the least, he could have called a “time out” to try to re-organize and focus the players. He has no passion as well. This man has to go.

Price is in much better physical condition when compared to last year and it shows. He’s very quick, mobile and focused. But for Price, this game would have been a cake-walk for TB.

After the game, my head was spinning from the disorganized play of the Habs (except for the 1st period).

58. Mike Boone says:

He mispronounced Max’s name on purpose. It was an inside-the-romm joke. And Gionta’s efforts are getting very positive reviews in French media. I thought the ceremony was low-key and excellent, but what do I know?

59. falconea says:

Screwing up Lapierre and Boyd’s names was an inside joke.  I will agree that his french was painful at times, but at least he gave it a shot.  It will keep the french press of his back for a while.

60. Mike Boone says:

I think the problem is more lack of size than speed deficiency. They’re still capable of buzzing around and confusing opposing Dmen, but no one ever goes to the net. Man, this team could use a Ryan Malone.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Question for you hockey fans. Are the Canadiens – relatively speaking – a fast team in today’s NHL?

My impression is that they aren’t, and this is why they tend to get overrun.

62. joshua94k says:

A reality show will give fans insight into life of the team’s players. The 30-minute show will be made available from Bell on mobile, TV and online from November to December in English and French, before it is broadcast on RDS, TSN and V in January.

I wonder if there will be a Jacques Martin episode.

Jacques Martin’s post-game press conferences will be streamed live to Bell Mobility subscribers. Michael Farber of SI wonders how many drivers will doze off at the wheel…

63. jimmy shaker says:

Usually in a game a team will get a big break once and capitalize, ala Max Lapierre with a gift from the TBAY D man…..then Tbay gets a break from the St.Louis goal that bounced right to him off of PK with an empty net to put it in….so I thought okay were even.  But then TBAY gets 2 huge breaks in one.  First the shite call by the stripes on PK, then the no call on Boyd as he went to clear the puck out of the zone which lead to Vinny threading the needle to Stamkos for an easy tap in.  WIsh JM had a little bit of Torts in him, where he would just rip into the officials, show some emotion once in a while I guess.  But we’ve been in all 3 games so far, just hope the compete level keeps rising and the work ethic does too.  Poor Carey, again the victim of a 3rd period meltdown, and some crazy bounces.  Phantom call on Cammy and PK, great job NHL!  OH and MAB is close to signing back with the habs, the PP says “THank-you”.

64. avatar_58 says:

Eh? I don’t want to see Auld till Carey is injured or dead tired. The season just began, he stays out there. We can’t afford to just throw away points.

65. G-Man says:

Hate to sat this- but last night’s “ceremony” was lame. Poor Gionta had to struggle through the introductions and bungled Lapierre’s name, saying “Laperriere.” Captains of hockey teams should be introduced by PA announcers- it’s what they’re paid for.

66. OneTimer says:

My name is OneTimer, and I approve of this message

Last night we were well entertained by two fine
    skating teams. In the first period both teams played with emotion and
    passion, and the Habs came out on top winning many battles for
    possession of the puck.

When the second period came around the
    emotion from the Habs dropped off and many players started gliding
    instead of keeping their feet moving. We started to get into penalty
    trouble as laziness started to creep into our game.

lightning were relentless, first on the puck in our end and were on the
    puck before our D could find an outlet pass, they were tenacious on the
    puck all over the ice. We were just hanging on to the lead as Price
    kept us in the game.

Emotion in the voice and eyes of the
    lightnings coach carried over into the hearts of his players, and they
    simply out worked us. We sat on a two goal lead and forgot about making

Our kids took poor unnecessary penalties to go along with Camallarie’s and especially Lapierre’s foolish one.

power play is non existent this year. Even if we had of had Markov
    back, it would not have made much difference. How many times has it
    been said that they must play 60 minutes if they want to be successful.

have a much better team this year that are capable of winning a lot of
    games, but if the emotion and intensity of their game cannot be kept up
    for 60 minutes, then you simply have to look behind the bench at a very
    passive coaching group who needs to blow a little fire out of their
    nostrils at times.

I truly believe the difference in this game was the coaching.  We were out coached last night for sure.

have a much better team than Toronto also, but they are playing 60 min.
    with passion and emotion and have 3 wins this year. where we have just
    1 win in 3 games.

I know it is very early in the season, but I
    would like the media to pose the question to the coaches about
    maintaining the offensive intensity for 60 min instead of just
    protecting the lead.

There is no way we should have lost that game, coach!! Better get them ready for the Sabers Friday night.

. If not for Price, we would feel a lot sicker this morning. And I just
    love the passion and confidence that Boucher radiates.

68. JohnBellyful says:

Shades of last year: bonehead plays that lead to scoring opportunities or power plays by the other team (can someone rip ‘Fire the puck off the glass’ out of OB’s playbook and politely advise Lapierre not to shove opponents into the boards) and a wide disparity in shots. Also, in time of possession of the puck. I wonder if the league keeps stats on such a thing. If it did, it would show Montreal near or at the bottom as far as holding onto the puck and making plays with the thing. It always seems the opposition is carrying play to the Habs.

So, it appears Toronto, Tampa and even the Islanders are legitimate threats to make the playoffs, none of which made it last year, meaning Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo (?) could be the ones pushed out. And then there’s Atlanta and Carolina …

Hopefully, Markov’s return will ignite the power play and be the difference in what looks to be a season of games decided by one goal.

Duplicate, damn Parkinson’s

70. Willy the bum says:

Missed the opening ceremony last night, but so glad for Youtube… thanks so much.

71. habs03 says:

We let that get away, Subban made some rookie mistake but its alright, O’B is not a top 6 D-man on a playoff team. Pouliot has the skill but has some serious confidence issue, anyone notice how easily Pouliot falls on the  ice, he just isn’t strong enough. A.Kost seems to be more interested this year (contract year). I know Tampa had 48 shots but I think its a bit misleading, there system seems to be just shot from anywhere, Pitts had less shots on Saturday but had more scoring chances. The Boucher system of seems to depend on having good puck moving D-men, and I don’t think they got any right now to make it work, on the first goal we scored, while the D-man made a bad pass, the forwards were already almost at the blue line, seems to be high-risk-high reward, but can you take chances like that in the playoffs? Also there powerplay seems to have a lot of movement, no one is staying in one position, but I noticed they don’t have anyone infront of the net.

72. habs365 says:

about last night, if it wasn’t for carey price it would have been a disaster out shot 48 to 28 they need more conditioning or the fans in montreal is gonna see a lot of games like this one. can’t outwork the other teams or play for 60 minutes also far too many penalties (a long season looms)

73. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh heh.

It’s always hilarious to come on here in the morning after a loss and see who’s being burnt in effigy.

Sometimes it takes a whole team to lose a game. D’yez thinK?

Subban had his high points and his low points, so did Gomez, Poupou, et al.

Not many people were calling for Martin’s head when we were shaking Pittsburgh by the throat last year, now, were they?

Just suck up the loss. It’s the third game of the year.

And those who are crying, crying, crying about JM being “French” (he’s not from France, boys) tough titties. Let it go.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

74. SeriousFan09 says:

Remember last season when some thought Subban could just step in and replace Markov and we could trade the guy? Yeah this is why I argued for patience on not bringing him up and retaining Andrei. Subban’s got crazy talent, but defencemen aren’t made in a day.

He’s feeling the pressure of trying to be Andrei Markov, he wants to get the team’s offence going from the blue line on each shift, he’s not used to the quality of the opposition yet compared to dominating the lower levels with his skating. Markov gets back, he can tone it down and learn from one of the best about when to pick your spots. Markov always knew when to pop from the blue line to the circles to pick up the puck and blast away. I also think it was a bit of pressure about playing against his old coach.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.