More than 17,000 at Bell Centre for intra-squad game

coorsweb

It wasn’t a full house but more than 17,000 people flocked to the Bell Centre Thursday evening for a two-period intra-squad Canadiens game that was capped off with a lengthy shootout.

Many fans got a huge surprise when they walked into the Bell Centre at 5 p.m. and discovered that Canadiens players were stationed at two entrances to greet them. Out came the cameras, as excited fans snapped pictures of players and shook hands with them. The free intra-squad game is part of the Canadiens bid to make amends to fans for the NHL lockout.

There were loud cheers during the scrimmage for Montreal native Francis Bouillon, who the Canadiens signed to a one-year deal last summer.

And a “We want P.K!” chant rang out during the game.

The Canadiens defenceman, who is a restricted free agent, remains unsigned and is not at the Canadiens training camp.

Subban, who learned of the chant from The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs, replied with a text message saying: “Thank you! I miss you guys! I truly love the fans and I think we have a great connection. Fans recognize fans! I know what the fans want to see and that’s heart and soul on every play. I think that’s where we get along. I love Montreal fans, they’re a big reason why I love putting on the sweater every game.”

The game ended in a 3-3 tie and the players went 20 rounds in the shootout until forward Brandon Prust beat Peter Budaj. Galchenyuk scored in round one to the delight of the Bell Centre crowd with Gallagher matching it in round two. The only other goals came in the 16th round when Max Pacioretty and Andrei Markov traded goals.

Therrien said he liked what he saw in the scrimmage. When asked about the performance of the young players, Therrien had praise for Hamilton Bulldogs forward Brendan Gallagher –”he’s a guy who works extremely hard”– Alex Galchenyuk, the Habs first-round draft pick with the Sarnia Sting, and Bulldogs defenceman Jarred Tinordi. Of the Bulldogs players called up for Thursday’s game, Therrien mentioned Mike Blunden’s good play.

You can hear Galchenyuk talk about his Bell Centre experience below:

You can hear what Carey Price had to say after the scrimmage below:

You can listen to Francis Bouillon below:

And you can hear Colby Armstrong below:

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

1. nunacanadien says:

On Saturday count how many right handed players we have, we have a shortage of right handed players. For Therrien’s rigid style to work as he tried to get the Penguins to use, he needs a good balance of left vs right, as when you place some only in the centre then you get the uneven play we see where players skate all over the ice to cover off. Not having Subban who can skate fast but also shoot right leaves even a bigger glut, on top of losing a player who can also hit. Honestly Bergevin and Therrien just apologize already to Meehan about your spinorama comments Therrien. Get off your bully horse and eat crow for once.

2. Habs64 says:

Subban to be signed by Sunday per EE

3. Say Ash says:

Uh, so who’s gonna be the point shot on the powerplay?

• bwoar says:

Emelin, Diaz, Markov, Kaberle and Boullion. Or maybe, if we’re lucky, the Habs will actually try to run a different powerplay this year.

“thoroughbred”

• Phil C says:

I guess we’ll see on Saturday, but Markov and Kaberle would be a pretty good first pairing as long as both are willing to shoot when appropriate.

Although it’s nice, you don’t need a big bomb on the point for an effective PP. Chelios used to score a lot of goals on the PP with a wristshot. Highly under-rated play actually; very accurate, and no telegraphing. Everyone in the rink knows it when PK is about to take a slapper.

4. Phil C says:

@Joeybarrie. I just wrote a similar post to yours about Subban, so we are on the same wavelength. I am going to post here anyway because I’m too lazy to edit it in response to yours.

I was glad to hear MB say he has no interest in being forced to trade PK. The Habs would lose in any trade because they would have no leverage.

I was standing on the ledge the other day thinking about starting the season without PK, but then I realized the Habs are still okay on defense without him.

Hockey is still a team sport, so as long as you have someone who can reasonably replace the minutes of the missing player, the team does not suffer as much as you would think. For example, two years ago Wizniewski replaced Markov. He was not as good as Markov, but he was good enough to replace most of Markov’s minutes effectively, so the team did not suffer as much as orginally thought.

Last year, PK stepped up to replace Markov/Wiz’s minutes so that was fine. But the problem was there was no one to replace Hamrlik, as Emelin, Diaz, Weber, etc were not ready to play those type of minutes effectively, so the team really suffered.

Starting this season without PK, but with everyone else healthy, I think the Habs have just enough depth to replace his minutes without hurting the team too much. Kaberle looks more like his old self, so he can replace PK on the PP and take some of his 5-on-5 time. Bouillon can take PK’s PK time and some of the shut-down role minutes.

Neither Kaberle nor Bouillon are as good as PK as an all-round two-way player, but I really think the team will not suffer too badly as long as everyone stays healthy. Given that, I hope MB stays patient to get PK signed at fair market value for an RFA.

Why is Nokkilainen with this team?

• K-hab25 says:

He’s a fantastic hot dog eater, easily one of the top guys in the league.

• bwoar says:

He’s the only credible player in the faceoff circle, I guess?

“thoroughbred”

• habsnyc says:

As of 10am, there are 24 players on the roster, including Gallagher and Galchenyuk but not including Subban. They have 15 forwards, 7 defenseman and 2 goalies. Nokelainen is one of the 15 forwards. For opening night, they will need to get to 20 skaters. Given his injury, I do not expect Nokelainen to play on Saturday night. He has a one year one way deal for $575k.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• B says:

right handed center

–Go Habs Go!–

• nunacanadien says:

Goodness knows we have no right handed players who are worth anything, and right handers have always been the saving grace in the dynasty era, and now we all try and follow certain famous VIP high scorers who are lefties. But honestly, if Montreal signed more right handers this would totally screw up the other teams playbook. Ok, Cole is a right winger but often we see him used as a centre after the puck drops as his natural skill is well to try and score, unfortunately what Cole lacks are players of decent size to take advantage of his abilities, Gionta is invisible so is the Plex most of the time.

6. shiram says:

I’d bet a hot-dog from Hot Dog Masson that Pleks plays on saturday.

7. bwoar says:

If Blunden is staying on as the 13th forward (which looks likely, and frankly makes the most sense), I’d speculate the following possibilities:

1) Plekanec will be out and Galchenyuk will be at centre, putting Gallagher on the wing (seems unlikely)

2) A winger has a nagging injury and may not be ready (feels most likely)

3) Potential trade in the works (the most fun possibility)

Everything so far has pointed to Plekanec playing tomorrow, so….

“thoroughbred”

8. mdp2011 says:

So Pleks is at practice but Price is taking a therapy day, hmmm that’s a little worrisome.

9. joeybarrie says:

So im repeating myself, and I know this wont be popular, cause its just a given the PK Subban is a god and Kaberle is Scott Gomez on Defence.
    But has no one realized the Kaberle’s production last season was higher than PKs???
    Now im not saying he is a better D, or anything. But he is EXTREMELY experienced, and plays his role very well.
    With Gorges, Markov, Bouillon and Kaberle we can get along for a few games without PK.
    Hopefully we wont have to, cause with him we are a MUCH better team. But I think we can get along without him for a couple games.
    It doesnt make sense to me that they arent close to a contract. The market has already been determined, and I believe it has to do with unrealistic ideas from PKs camp.
    That being said, I think we will see some movement today.
    No one wants to start the season without him in the lineup, but right now I am hearing a lot of “Habs are nothing without him”….
    To be honest he is still pretty young, and is still finding his discipline without hurting his game. Given his average production, he can be counted on for 23 points this season. And so based on that, I dont think we will live and die with him right now.
    BUT MAKE NO MISTAKE, I LOVE HIM AND KNOW HE IS A BIG PART OF OUR SUCCESS. If they wait too long, we will quickly get into trouble.

• K-hab25 says:

Ya if you look at it through baseball eyes, what would PK’s WAR be and what would Kaberle’s be, the guy playing his minutes. Obviously PK is a much better all-around defenseman, but offensively, despite the flair, Kaberle has shown to be just as good, if not better. So again, we know PKis worth more wins than Kaberle, but how many. IMHO not more than a few wins. So basically if we’re close to the playoffs and we miss out by a couple of games, than having PK would’ve prrobably made the difference. If we have another year like last year, than as last year proved, having PK wouldn’t make any difference at all.

• New says:

What do they do if PK misses the first eight games and the team is sitting at 6-1-1? Do you put him on the ice? Sure. Then if the quick start fades and after 16 games they are 9-5-2 does the trade-the-bum stuff start?

I think not signing “something” and playing has put PK at a severe disadvantage for a long term contract in Montreal. It isn’t that he won’t come to terms it is that he has given the team a chance to work without him. There will be nothing but negatives for PK. Likewise if the team now bends and signs him for seven years or so there will be nothing but negatives for the team. Players will have to be sent down to make room. Who do you cut? Boullion? Diaz? Gally? Do you trade Pleks?

Hockey is a team game. PK just put himself above the team. I totally understand tough negotiations but PK isn’t all that and a bag of chips yet.

I suspect he is gone at the first good offer. Perhaps that is what he wants.

• I’m with you Joey — Kaberle has a much bigger impact than he’s given credit for, and would have a spot in any defensive corps in the league. Sure, he should ideally be paired with a defensive d-man as he isn’t great in his own end, but that’s not what he’s paid for — he’s paid to put up 0.5 points per game and that’s what he does, year in and year out. As much as I like Spacek, we won that trade hands-down.

• New says:

People get on players. Media answers by chattering about him. None of it is real, although it can make a player miserable or euphoric. What is real is the evaluation of management. Right now management hasn’t really seen much of Kaberle or Subban. That is the only part that worries me. They will be going by their best judgment. They don’t know but firmly believe. Knowing is better. Sometimes when you know you learn what you believed wasn’t accurate.

10. Harditya says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    #Habs cuts: Holland, Dumont, Bournival, Leblanc, St-Denis, Tinordi, Commodore

The Gally’s are still here.

• Loonie says:

Surprised Dumont or Bournival didn’t stick while Nokelainen’s injured.

Guess that means that the plan out of the gate is….

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
      Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
      Gallagher – Eller – Bourque
      Moen – Prust – Armstrong/White

• Sportfan says:

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu

Possible reason for Brendan Gallagher surviving cuts is questionable status of Tomas Plekanec for #Habs season opener.

• K-hab25 says:

Sweet!! I assumed Galchenyuk would make the team, well for at least 5 games, but Gallagher is a nice surprise. Would love it if they both play Saturday. I also think if PK had signed Gallagher would’ve been sent back. He’s taking that roster spot as soon as he signs.

11. Mattyleg says:

Dear Friends and Fans,

I don’t know what I’ve done to offend the HI/O Brass, or you, my comerades, compatriots, amigoes… but I was just FORBIDDEN to access the hallowed halls of HI/O.

I know, I was as shocked and appalled as you must be, reading this.

Perhaps my jibe at nuna below was over the top, maybe my assertion that Gomer will get a contract with another club was too much for the HI/O powers-that-be to take, or it could be that my stale coffee breath finally made it through my screen into HI/O headquarters, as I always imagined it might, and the server system considered it a malware assault.

Whatever it was, I unequivocably and humbly apologise to anyone and everyone who will listen or take pity upon me.

I don’t want to be FORBIDDEN. Please don’t FORBID me…

Yours etc,

Mattyleg

12. commandant says:

The Southeast Division Preview

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

13. mark-ID says:

A question for those who watched the feed of the scrimmage last night……did the players come out onto the ice to the same song, Coldplay “Fix You”?

14. Say Ash says:

Groin update anybody?

So… how long are we going to ride that “Bergevin can do no wrogn” train (tank)?

16. krob1000 says:

Ted Leonsis doing the right thing…..syas regardless of what NHL says he will let Ovechkin play in Sochi

• mdp2011 says:

Doing the right thing? Wow, if I am a team owner I don’t let my best player leave for 3 weeks to go play in the Olympics while my team potentially struggles to make the playoffs. This is not junior hockey that teams let their best players go off to the world juniors while the season continues. Either the NHL shuts down or none of my players would go.

If the Olympics were in North America no way in Hell the Cdns and Americans aren’t present at Olympics.

Too me the idea of not having NHL players there is complete double standard. I concur with Mr. Leonsis.

• mdp2011 says:

Yes, I agree that the NHL should participate in the Olympics, but if they decide not to for whatever reason, then I am not letting one of my best players leave mid-season for 3 weeks.

• krob1000 says:

I suspect if the NHL goes…that Leonsis has set the standard…and others would be expecting their ownership to do the same. Like he siad it is a slippery slope but you can see he genuinely cares for the players as people and not strictly as assets which is refreshing..this is nice to see an owner siding with players.

• krob1000 says:

So you let them play in North America but not in their home country?

• mdp2011 says:

No, nothing to do about the country-continent, I want the NHL to participate in the Olympics. All I am saying is if the NHL decides not to participate in the Olympics and not shut down for three weeks, then I am not allowing my players to go while the season is still going on.

• joeybarrie says:

Can you imagine The Caps playing without
      Ovechkin
      Backstrom
      Carlson
      Green
      Johansson
      and maybe a few more for 3 weeks????
      Good luck winning any games.
      Good luck making the playoffs…..
      GOOD LUCK TELLING THE REST OF YOUR PLAYERS THEY CANT PLAY IN THE OLYMPICS WHEN THEY REALIZE THEY WILL LOSE 4-5 PLAYERS….
      ASTONISHING how that locker room was divided and internal problems lead to them not realizing their potential…
      10 million a season for a guy whos production last season was HALF of his best in roughly the same games, and still you say go ahead buddy YOU can ditch us for the Olympics next year.
      But as for the rest, we will see.

17. Habsrule1 says:

If this is a PK-Therrirn thing and it turns into another Tremblay-Roy thing, I may not be as forgiving as I was back then.

• commandant says:

I don’t think it has anything to do with Therrien right now. This seems to be a disagreement between PK/Meehan and Bergevin about his contract value.

No different than Drew Doughty and Dean Lombardi last year. (not saying PK should get doughty money, just saying its business)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• nunacanadien says:

Therrien’s comments before he became coach like the criticms that Gainey made towards Halak probably have a lot to do with it as Meehan has shown if you insult his player then he will make you pay for that insult. And Therrien did not back down from his comments when he was first introduced and Bergevin supported Therrien. Well Bergevin and Therrien, you better publicly apologize for your comments and maybe Meehan will accept your offer.

18. mdp2011 says:

So all the media on twitter is speculating that Gallagher is being kept because Plecks will not be ready for the opener. Not a good way to start the season.

19. Propwash says:

A lot of the talking heads are saying Gomez amd Redden should get signed today. Will be interesting to see where they go. I heard on the radio that Carolina would be an interesting destination for G-Love

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

While I wish PK was in lineup, I am excited at watching the development of Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Also excited that we get to see a rebirth of Markov and Gionta and hopefully Bourque gets on his game early and enjoys his time in Montreal.

Last year was such a dark cloud from GM to Coach to the Gomez show (not blaming Gomer, but it was all the rage amongst fans and media), the gong show seems over.

Back to hockey and the development of this team long term.

• shiram says:

Let’s give it 10 or so games before saying the gong show is over.
      Coach wise it could still be a gong show, if PK is not signed for a number of games, it will continue to fester in some posters and we’ll hear about it every day.
      It’s as much the team and management as the fans that create said gong show.

• Phil C says:

I thought Bourque looked good coming down the RW on his goal. It seems like a better fit for him and I’m glad the Habs figured it out.

21. commandant says:

We’ve really gotta get PK under contract. I think the defense is really in trouble without his minutes.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

22. Mavid says:

No PK yet :-( won’t be as much fun starting the season without him

23. habfan53 says:

Am I looking at this team thru rose colored glasses?? All the experts are picking them 12th-15th again for this year.
    Yes I know that it is basically the same team but OH is it different.
    Markov and Gionta are back that is like picking up a top 3 D-man and a top 6 forward, Emelin and Diaz are a year more experienced. A third line of Moen-Eller and Bourque could work very well and Prust or Armstong on the 4th line is also an improvement over last year .
    I’m thinking 7th with a little luck 6th.

• commandant says:

I think that is possible, but without PK we are in trouble IMO.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Cal says:

I’m hopeful the Habs are okay without him for a bit.
        I am so sick and tired of contract bs I wouldn’t care if PK sits for the season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t like the situation either but I doubt they’d be ok without him for more than the first couple games.

• Timo says:

I’d be ok if it were literally any other Habs player, except for Price. But PK is the best dman we have and like him or not, no one is going to replace his minutes (try playing Markov for 30 minutes – his knee will explode after 2 games)

Mtl needs PK and Bergevin put himself and team in this position by not getting the deal done sooner. If Plekance, Gionta and other stiffs up front make 5 or upward of 5 mil, PK is same thing on the back end.

• Cal says:

I think PK and his agent are overvaluing his services. PK played ATOI 24:18. For a 28th place team.
            Let him sit. Really tired of 3rd year players trying to hold out for better deals. Let him go to the moron GMs who give term to their 3rd year players.

• commandant says:

PK was +9 playing those big minutes on the 28th place team.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habsrule1 says:

If they lose Saturday, there may be a riot. I can’t believe they’ve let it come to this. Should have had him signed by now.
          Don’t tell me it’s not that easy. Teams get contracts done for their best players every day.

• joeybarrie says:

I dont think we are in trouble immediately without PK.
      He is one player and this season is going to be a crazy one.
      If Bourque picks up his game and Therrien gets decent top 2 production out of him we should do ok.
      With Gio and Markov back we are a completely different team.
      We added a lot of what they are saying are Character guys and I believe this helps in a situation where its a race to the end of the season.
      But to be honest, if our top line plays like it did last season.
      If Markov, Pleks, Kaberle, and the rest figure out the Power Play.
      If Price plays well
      And if Therrien can get these guys to stick to his plans, I cant imagine we dont at least fight for a playoff spot.
      I believe 6-10 is where this team should be. If we perform well and make things happen, 5-6th. if we just dont get it right to begin with…. 10-14th.
      WE NEED PK, dont get me wrong. But they will figure it out today or tomorrow. and if not, i dont believe the success of this team in the first couple games is dependant on him.
      I know we hate Kabs for some reason, but his production on our team last season was higher than PKs.
      With Markov, Gorges, Kaberle and Bouillon we can hold our own for a week or two.

24. CCL says:

Gomez will be playing for an NHL team this year and he’ll do alright. The Rangers over paid him. The Habs over paid him. Don’t blame Gomez he did what anyone of you would have done take the money.
    the pressure will be off him. He knew he was over paid and could never live up to what was expected of him. when he ‘s getting paid for what he’s worth. you’ll see him play decent hockey again.
    he’s still a valuable 3rd or 4th line player and he’ll prove it somewhere else.
    I’m not sorry that he’s gone. This team has to rebuild and management have to be smarter with their budget. Why do you think PK is not signed. MB won’t make the mistakes the other two made …..

25. Kooch7800 says:

From habs website:

January 18, 2013
    Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien has made his first cuts of training camp. Seven players have been assigned to the Hamilton Bulldogs, including forwards Patrick Holland, Michael Bournival, Gabriel Dumont, and Louis Leblanc and defensemen Frederic St-Denis, Jarred Tinordi and Mike Commodore.
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

26. Old Bald Bird says:

Well, well …

Twitter:
    Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Gallagher has survived #Habs cuts

27. Mattyleg says:

Stubbs Tweet:
    “Gallagher has survived #Habs cuts.”

28. shiram says:

It was fun to watch the scrimmage last night, I watched for about a period of time, the tempo and style of play were clearly of a practice and not a real game, and so I would not take away too much from it, but there were some good signs out there.
    It’s good to give the rookies a tastes of the Bell Center ambiance, even if it was not a full capacity house.
    Can’t wait for the real thing tomorow, when we hopefully see a full lineup, minus Nokelainen, whom I would not mind being the 13th forward at this point.

29. RetroMikey says:

To the organization and press of our hockey team:
    UPLOAD THE PDF HABS MEDIA GUIDE WHEN IT COMES AVAILABLE ON THIS SITE OR THE CANADIENS NHL SITE.
    Other teams are doing it and I see no reason why we are so cheap to give something back to the fans, and no, I don’t want to spend $20 or more to purchase a hard copy of the guide which most clubs are going the internet route by supplying press notes for each game as well for fans.
    We fans deserve every right to have these documents as well, not just the media.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

Go to the Habs site and post this. You’ve posted this here 2 years in a row for what?

• Chuck says:

Or write the Canadiens to request a copy. HI/O would be breaking copyright rules if they were to upload the whole thing here.

___________________________________________________

Minor Technicality CHuck. ;-)

• Chuck says:

And it’s not like the info in it is top secret. Most websites that deal with hockey stats have all of that info. And if it’s historical Hab stuff that he’s looking for, that’s all on the Habs’ website, too.

___________________________________________________

• Mattyleg says:

He posted it yesterday too.

• RetroMikey says:

I will keep posting until I get an answer from Stubbs or any staff here if they can get an answer from the HR dept of the organization.
        Besides, why is it any of your business?
        Thanks for the reply Chuck but I want an answer from the Habs brass. and yes, e-mailed many time the clu and they never got back to me.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Chuck says:

Then why don’t you write the Habs directly instead of posting it here?

___________________________________________________

• RetroMikey says:

Tried writing to them as well like a 5 year old wanting something from the team….no luck.
            You have better luck Chuck, you work in the media and probably get all the goodies from the sports department, eh?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• ZepFan2 says:

They don’t get back to you because they know you’re not a fan.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

• Habsrule1 says:

Ya, Mikey. This really has nothing to do with HIO. Take your grievance to the source. It gets a bit tiresome here.

Cheers.

• Bill J says:

RetroMonkey, go post your grievance where people care (or don’t care) will read it…. http://Www.canadiens.com, this site is the gazette. Not the Montreal Canadiens public relations department.

• Bill J says:

You’re prolly right Jim.

• RetroMikey says:

Bill Jerk, other blogs of other teams have press or fans sending links to upload the file.
            This site is monitored by the press of the Montreal Canadiens and I am sure they get all the press notes from the team where they can share. Other cities like Buffalo have their media covering the team share notes to the fans via blog sites as well.
            And NotHabsolutley, you don’t know me, I have been a diehard fan before you were one and in the news where they have showcased my vast extension of Montreal Canadiens memorabilia on a major sports network. With a little research, you just might find my website. Hint…I’m from Hamilton and played my college hockey at Rutgers…
            So don;t call me a troll with others. I tell it like it is here and if I am critical of the team, so be it. We can’t be optimistic like you and others here.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. Hobie Hansen says:

If Galchenyuk can get wide open five to ten feet in front of the net we’re set! This guy has more talent than anyone on our team but we’ll have to see if he can battle to find his space on the ice and if Plekanec can feed him the puck.

I’m so hoping he lights it up and stays but won’t be the slightest bit concerned if the Habs send him down to build up his strength and game until next season’s training camp which is only 8 months away.

• Kooch7800 says:

people just have to remember that yes, he has skill and will be great but you have to give him some time. the kid is 18.

That is my only fear if people will expect him to be Gretzky right off the hop

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• ed lopaz says:

Galchenyuk is off the charts WITH the puck at the Junior level.

He is the guy who creates the time and space in the offensive zone with his LIGHTS OUT stickhandling and head fakes – lightning fast hands.

The thing to watch for is his confidence.

Will he be confident enough to keep the puck, and create the time and space?

Once he gets that confidence, the sky’s the limit.

• Mattyleg says:

I have no worries whatsoever that Pleks will get him the puck.

The funny thing about confidence is that many juniors come up and light the place up because they are young and full of confidence.

It’s how they play and recover from ‘slumps’ or periods of low production which determines how great they are/will be.

• Luke says:

Keep in mind that dangling around a Jason Shaw is a heck of a lot different than dangling a Scott Hannan…

31. Chuck says:

I didn’t get to see any of last night’s scrimmage, but from reading a bunch of the posts here I can surmise that we’re easily headed for another last place finish.

Am I correct?

___________________________________________________

• Blondie says:

Only if shootouts figure prominently. :)

• nunacanadien says:

A friend of mine went there but he said there were some fans who actually booed the habs. WTF? There is no Gomez, oh wait there is Gomez Jr. who is Gionta. Ok, no wonder, and Bergevin with his croc smile ala Therrien said he traveled all the way to Toronto to meet with Subban. Actually Marc Bergevin that was only a stopover at gate 1 at the Toronto International, hardly a meeting. Actions speak louder than words Bergevin! What, you’ll say to fans “You can eat cake”….just wait the fans will start a riot and turn over your honda civic you cheap bastard for not signing Gomez already.

• Mattyleg says:

Last place is the best we can hope for.

32. krob1000 says:

Here is an article penned by MIke Boone who references Denis Gauthier who says “PK is habitually late for meetings” he also says “if there are 5 team rules he’ll break 7″
    Boone goes on to question it but again more smoke for the fire….
    There are a ton of these type of stories out there…..but they all seem to come from people inside the game…there just may be some truth to PK needing to be a little more professional…or there may not…but if not there are several guys for some reason who do not like him…could be sour grapes…or there could be a little truth to it.

• Loonie says:

If we can take Gauthier at his word then Subban certainly needs to be accountable and probably lower his salary expectations until he can prove that being on time and prepared becomes routine.

If it isn’t true…..more of the same.

• krob1000 says:

If you look at the time it is referring to PK in the pressbox a while earlier for 3 straight games? hmmm? makes one wonder why he was there…we all wondered at the time…maybe it wasn’t the on ice play? or maybe it was? but the timing of this article relative to him in the pressbox is definitely food for thought.

• ed lopaz says:

maybe you should read the article? It SCOFFS at the accusation by Denis Gauthier and ridicules the whole premise.

“On RDS’s L’Antichambre, P.K. is roasted on a nightly basis for sins real and, in the case of Denis Gauthier, imagined.

During a recent telecast, Denis Gauthier — quoting unnamed sources close to the team — said Subban is habitually late for meetings.

And, the former NHL defenceman added, “if there are five team rules, he’ll break seven.”

If these calumnies have some basis in truth, why is a punctuality scofflaw and serial rule-breaker getting more ice time, in all situations, than anyone else on the team?

As a scrum monkey, I’ve spent a lot of time in the Canadiens dressing rooms at the Bell Centre and at the nearby Brossard training complex. In neither venue have I seen a lot of Denis Gauthier or some of Subban’s other critics.”

• krob1000 says:

?? not sure where I imply Boone is agreeing in any way…just pointing out to some that there are stories out there….we have Cherry, Gauthier, Hal Gill, Aaron Ward…..we may not agree with them but these guys aren’t really in position to gain anything by mentioning this, theya re all guys who would have inside access to players and in in all likelihood in off the record conversations with other players in situations reporters may not be in. They are all fellow hockey guys…do I believe it? not all of it but I suspect the truth is womewhere in between the two sides and that Subban is nowhere near as bad as made out to be but is not the teachers pet either….and that is just todays young hockey player and maybe the game needs to realize that is the new reality..or maybe the kids need to respect the unwritten rules that helped build the league they are benefitting from? who knows we are on the outside…but the gusy who have called him out are all from the inside

• ed lopaz says:

the guys who have called him out are NOT on the inside; that’s the point.

AAron Ward and Denis Gauthier have not been at a practice.

Who are these guys on “the inside”?

• krob1000 says:

not on inside? both are former players who played with guys who are on the team….or have been teammates of PK.

• Luke says:

Wasn’t Denis Gauthier a bit of a problem child when he played? I seem to recall a bit of drama around him… but nothing specific (aside from the cheap shots).

33. Kooch7800 says:

Anyone else sick of hearing about Lance Armstrong

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

34. rhino514 says:

Kaberle turns 35 in March.
    Does that mean that he must be paid 100% of his salary in case of a buyout?
    That would be a shaft

35. ed lopaz says:

again, not sure why Subban and Habs can’t sign 1 year, around 4. 5 million, and then pick up the negotiations of a long term deal later in the year??

Clearly the Habs do NOT want to commit long term at this point.

So PK should simply refuse the 2 year offer and counter with a 1 year.

The Habs get a 1 year bridge instead of 2, and PK gets his long term deal after waiting 1 year instead of today.

Isn’t that a reasonable compromise??

• Loonie says:

If he signs a short term deal and gets seriously hurt he misses out on millions of dollars. I don’t blame him for not signing a short term deal. And from Bergevin’s end, anybody can get hurt and that’s a risk he has to take, not one that Subban does. And I say that again because somebody will offer Subban a long term deal.

This may sound one sided. But this really is Bergevin’s problem and not Subban’s.

• ed lopaz says:

I hear you Tom. But 1 year deals are often used to get the ball rolling in the right direction.

I’m trying to move towards the Habs position so we can get this done.

If there’s no movement, we will lose Subban eventually (by trade), and that becomes OUR problem – as fans of the Habs.

• nunacanadien says:

If I was Subban I’d fire Meehan send the man packing! Here Meehan basically destroyed a great relationship Halak had with the habs. And we ended up with a dismal season after we lost Halak. Now Subban is on the verge of losing what good will he has and the respect of everyone and you’ll see Subban go to some loser team like the Blues ala Halak!

• Habsrule1 says:

I’d say that PK would worry that they’d go through this exact same circus next year if he signed for 1 year. I’m sure he wants to sign a decent length contract and concentrate on hockey only for 5+ years.

That said, I’d be all over a 2 year contract in his place, having confidence in my abilities and the liklihood of breaking the bank after that.

• Ozmodiar says:

I have a feeling this is where it’s headed.

36. Mattyleg says:

In response to geo below:

I wonder what beer nuna will be drinking…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I know it’s not this simple but in a way it really is.

Both sides should lay down their swords and sign a six year deal at $5M a season. Subban forgets all this Doughty wishful thinking and Bergevin accepts (like I reluctantly have had to do) the fact that the league didn’t plug the second contract loophole. He’ll have to do the same thing again three years from now with Gally.

• Loonie says:

He sure will with Galchenyuk.

It isn’t as if guys who’ve been given big contracts before haven’t had room for improvement and Subban’s value to the team is probably somewhere around $5 million.

Who’s hurt more by Subban not playing? I think the Habs are because his presence is needed and the player will eventually get a contract he likes from somebody. It may as well be the Habs.

• ed lopaz says:

I think a 1 year deal is a better compromise for both parties, actually.

That let’s both parties off the hook.

If the Habs sign the long term deal at this point, they lose the “bridge” argument with other young stars going forward.

• Loonie says:

Only if Beaulieu is relied on as a top pairing defenseman for two of the three years in his EL deal.

Highly unlikely.

• ed lopaz says:

I think Beaulieu will be top 4 as soon as he makes the team, and a key part of the power play.

So somewhere just below top pairing.

• Kooch7800 says:

Beaulieu is going to be a good one. He can move the puck so well and has good vision. He def needs this full season in Hamilton and maybe see some NHL games when needed next year. He struggle in the hammer at the start of the season but now is playing quite well

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

38. Ozmodiar says:

Is it time for Bergevin and Meehan to bring in Scot Beckenbaugh??

39. Blondie says:

I am so looking forward to the game tomorrow, seems like it’s been forever since I last saw a game. I won’t be catching the live blog – music and mayhem this weekend – but will watch the game. I’ll read the game blog along with ALN on Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good time and the Habs don’t lay an egg – lol.

It’s nice to have things getting back to normal.

Cheers!

40. habfan53 says:

OK for all the experts out there Who gets signed first? Gomez ?, Redden? or Connoly? Assuming all will make 800K to 1.2 Million
    My bet is Gomez to either N.J. or Vancouver, then Connoly probably to Phoenixand finally Redden maybe Nashville or St-LOO.
    Also all 3 will be signed by the end of the month.

• Loonie says:

If Connolly gets bought out quickly I think it’s him. Better skill set than the other two but lack of durability might scare some teams off like it should have with Burke

• habfan53 says:

I just reread the release about Connoly and Toronto just put him on waivers It does not look like they are going to buy him out, just send him to the minors and pay him his 4.75 mil.

• Blondie says:

Agree with Loonie that Connoly seems the likeliest to get another gig. Not sure if Redden or Gomez will get picked up at all.

• BrianSkrudland says:

I think you are bang-on with your predictions in terms of signing order and destination. Don’t let my stamp of approval lead to a swollen ego though, I’m also a guy that was convinced the US would find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. We know how that worked out.

• Kooch7800 says:

Connolly isn’t being bought out. He was put on waivers to send to the Marlies then if they do need him they can call him back up. with not being able to bury people in the AHL anymore I am pretty sure you can call them back up without risk anymore.

His contract is done at the end of this season and the leafs have cap room so there was no need to buy him out.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• nunacanadien says:

Not signing Subban but chasing after Redden seems more like Therrien’s and Bergevin’s style.

41. Hobie Hansen says:

There is virtually noting you can gage from last night’s scrimmage apart from a few minor observations.

I have to admit, when I watched parts of it online I immediately noticed that Prust was a FULL step behind everyone else. Something was going on there. I saw him play for the Rangers in the playoffs last year and he’s fast enough catch guys like Alfredson and Karlsson and nock them off the puck, so I think he’ll be good.

I think Prust is used to 45 second bursts and then resting for five minutes. That was a bit of a workout for all the players last night and I think Prust is going to prove valuable this season.

Got to love this from the playoffs last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIGRJ9i58OU

With regards to the Beer discussion below. I am going to do my part and help with the Scott Gomez buyout. MGD will be my drink of choice tomorrow night.

Your welcome Geoff.

43. Strummer says:

Last night on TSN’s “That’s Hockey” Mike Johnson said that Pk’s camp and the Habs can’t agree on term, which is why they are so far apart at this stage.
    Money won’t be an issue until term is resolved.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Yah heard that as well and mentioned below. So in a few days, Money will become the issue after term is solved. This is so bloody reminscent of the PA versus NHL lockout.

• Loonie says:

Money might actually be the easiest obstacle to overcome. Subban has a ton of respect for Markov so he may understand the need for him to take a lower aav.

He fits in between Kaberle and Markov in my opinion.

44. von says:

Aaron Ward on the TSN panel last night again questioned P.K.’s professionalism and seemed to hint that he was late for team meetings last year.

Once again, reading between the lines, “sign a two year deal and prove yourself for the big contract.”
    _________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• Loonie says:

I’m not saying it isn’t true. I’m just a bit surprised that nine months removed from his last game action news is broken from Aaron Ward of all people that Subban’s been late for meetings.

Not sure why Ward has a problem with Subban. Perhaps just appeasing Bruins faithful.

I suspect that about .001% of what he says about Subban is true though.

• von says:

I agree. I think he’s definitely got a hate-on for him, regardless of this contract situation.

_________________________________

• Habsrule1 says:

I think this talk is ridiculous. I highly doubt Bergevin is negotiating by saying, “well, we may have agreed to the 5 year deal, but PK was late for a couple meetings last year, so we’re going to stick with 2 years to see if that changes.”
      Let’s get real here.

45. habfan53 says:

With Tinordi, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Bounival and Galcheniuk coming along anybody else believe that Bergevin is trying to set (or keep) a precedent with PK. After all Price and MAX both signed entry level then a 2 year pact before being locked up this past off season

Dobber has listed his top ten choices for rookie of the year. He has Galchenyuk at #3 which is quite a compliment considering his age, lack of junior experience and the competition that is found on the list.

• Loonie says:

Tough sledding with Tarasenko, Schultz, Yakupov and others making their debuts.

I haven’t heard anything about Charlie Coyle. Know if he’ll be with the Wild full-time?

• 24 Cups says:

Not sure about Coyle but they are keeping Kassian (thug) and Dumba (7th overall pick this year) for opening night.

• Loonie says:

I saw that. I’m not so sure keeping Dumba is the best move but it’s not fair of me to say cuz I haven’t seen the kid play in a year.

Coyle’s done well in the AHL this season but I admittedly haven’t seen him play a single game.

I really think their best prospect not named Granlund is Zucker. I think that kid’s gonna be special.

47. Loonie says:

Unrelated item. I think if the Sens are going to carry three goalies for the entire season they’re making a huge mistake.

Goalies have to get into a rhythm to be good for the most part. Going with something like a 17-16-15 split or even slight variance on that number could do them a lot more harm than good.

• Habfan10912 says:

Back up goalie is one tough position to play IMO. I wonder if the compressed schedule is the sole consideration here or if someone else might have a “tweek”?

———————————–

• 24 Cups says:

I wonder if they all have to pass waivers? Bishop is 25 and Lehner is 21 so I can’t see Lehner having to go through waivers.

If healthy, Anderson has to be the key man to get them into the playoffs.

BTW, looks like Kovalev is going to make the Panthers. They have a new line comprised of Huberdeau in the middle with Mueller and Kovy on the flanks.

I think 1 of the 3 gets traded, just a matter of time I suspect. I wonder if they want to see which Anderson shows up this season, while excellent last year his career has been quite up and down.

• Loonie says:

I think you’re right and I believe the design is probably to trade Anderson regardless if one of the other two proves ready.

Bishop has been highly regarded for years now, i don’t recall what Ottawa gave St. Louis for him, but I thought it was a steal at the time. Lehner is likely the long term future goalie. That will be an excellent tandem.

If Bishop shows he is ready now, Anderson will be gone shortly. question is, will Ottawa and Toronto become dance partners in this deal, or perhaps Chicago.

• Loonie says:

Interesting idea. I was a bit disappointed we didn’t go after Mueller but it’s water under the bridge. If the plan was for Galchenyuk play with the big club all along it’s more understandable that a 2nd line option wasn’t signed.

Anywhoo. I think Anderson could quickly become trade bait. Lehner and Bishop are very good though I’m always weary of incredibly large goalies. They seem to start strong and fade quickly.

• since1988 says:

Lehner is on a 2-way contract so he can still be sent down without being claimed by other teams.

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
        - Mathieu Darche

• Habsrule1 says:

I think they are having trouble deciding on Anderson’s back-up. One of those 2 will be sent back after a few games I imagine.

• Mattyleg says:

Going with two ‘alternate’ number ones can be done, though.
      Look at Dryden and Laroque.
      Price and Halak managed it fairly well too.
      I don’t know about a third… be strange to have a goalie sitting in the press box.

48. geo_habsgo says:

On to the most important question: What should be the beer of choice tomorrow night?

• Habsrule1 says:

I’m going with the only one I have in my fridge right now.
      Local brewery growler…IPA, Honey Brown, or Stout is the question. I like the stout on those really cold nights, so that may be the winner!

• geo_habsgo says:

Been a real sucker for any honey brown beer I can get my hands on lately. I am not a particular fan of sleeman but their Honey Brown has been good to me the last couple of months.

• Habsrule1 says:

This one is really nice. The brewery opened a 10 minute walk from my house.
          I’m really big on variety when it comes to beer. Rare that you’ll find less than 3 different beers in my fridge.

• geo_habsgo says:

True say! A lot of people don’t understand how intricate beer actually is until they have tried a lot of different kinds. If you just drink it to get tanked, then variety doesn’t matte but if you enjoy it there are some real gems out there.

One of the highlights of my year is the Montreal Beer Festival. What a fun atmosphere.

• Habsrule1 says:

We should start Beer Inside/Out.

• Rugger says:

Red Hook’s Winter Hook Ale (full disclosure – they sponsor our Rugby team so Red Hook is always in the fridge)

• Mattyleg says:

Whatever local delight they’ve got on tap at the bar (that isn’t ‘big brewery’).

Boreale’s IPA is a good one, as is anything by McAuslan/St. Ambroise.

There are a couple of places that Trois Mousquetaires is available… not hockey bars tho.

• Newf_Habster says:

COORS LIGHT!!!

Fehr and Bettman get involved in the PK contract signing. I am not sure if that is good or bad for Meehan???
    There is sure a problem somewhere, and none of us know where the problem is!!

50. Loonie says:

Count this among the reasons to hate Gomez folks. Reportedly as many as 11 teams interested at the right price.

This is interesting because salary and cap space can be retained in trades now. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bergevin worked on trades and Gomez shot them down with his NTC. Because if there truly are eleven teams interested, Bergevin would have known that.

• Ian Cobb says:

Gomez will be playing in the NHL this year for somebody. It was his contract that was the problem. He is still a good NHL player, not a great player as he once was for sure.

• Loonie says:

You’re right Ian but the new CBA allows for teams to retain half of the salary and cap hit in a trade.

Montreal could have potentially traded Gomez and retained $3.8 million in cap hit and if his salary was $5 million, they could have retained $2.5 million of it.

I think if teams really are THAT interested in Gomez that Bergevin could have potentially moved him and probably tried to.

• rnnoble says:

You can ignore my other post, because it was apparently factually inaccurate.
          I don’t think that other teams are interested in Gomez at 3.8 million cap, or 2.5 million actual money. Nor would that have helped Bergevin against the cap. Reporters have been speculating that “the right price” for Gomez this year is maybe as little as less than a million.

• Loonie says:

$3.8 million in cap relief doesn’t create cap relief?

I’m not saying it’s a certainty that a trade market was there. But having said that if there is anywhere near 10 teams interested right now I’m inclined to think there may have been a trade market at half of the price, especially with a prorated salary and hit for this season.

• Habsrule1 says:

Big difference between interested at 1M and interested at 4M.

• Loonie says:

They don’t have to pay him $4 million if Bergevin were to retain half of the salary. $1 million this season, $2 million next season.

• Habsrule1 says:

Isn’t his salary still 7M for this year and next? Half of that is 3.5M. If your numbers are right, that is a bit fishy.

• Loonie says:

I might be wrong but I believe his salaries over the next two seasons are $5 and $4 million respectively. If that’s accurate retaining half of the salary this season would only cost the new team $1 million and change because it’s prorated. Next season would obviously be $2 million.

The cap hit gets cut in half. The salary varied over the life of the deal. For example I believe he made $10 million annually in his first two years here.

Edit: I was wrong about this season’s salary….it would be $2 million and change.

• Habsrule1 says:

Then if it’s true he can be gotten for the league minimum, I can see how he wasn’t quite as interesting at 2M then 4M.
            Not to mention, most teams would not have given up much for someone with Gomez’s point totals.

Let’s just be glad he’s gone and let it go lol

• Loonie says:

It wouldn’t be $2 then $4 Paul.

It would be $1.6 and then $2.25 with a cap hit for both sides of $3.6 million.

I realize it wasn’t the strongest possibility in the World but if there’s a big market for Gomez I don’t think the possibility can be written off as impossible.

• rnnoble says:

double post

• Loonie says:

Gomez’s salary this season isn’t $7 million. His cap hit is and he’s only under contract for two more years.

Any potential trading partner could have had Gomez for half of his prorated salary for this season which is close to $1 million and then $2 million next season, but the cap hit would be $3.6 million over the next two years(first year prorated).

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think that Bergevin could have had trade talks under this scenario. The possibility made stronger if there truly is a big market for Gomez right now.

• Chris says:

11 teams are interested in Scott Gomez for potentially as low as $500 k in salary and no assets having to be exchanged.

Gomez can afford to take as low as the league minimum because he is still being paid 2/3 of his salary for this season.

If the price was half of Gomez’s salary PLUS some sort of asset in return, the number of teams interested in Gomez would be far closer to 0 than 2.

I can’t blame Gomez for something that is basic economics. Teams see an unrestricted free agent veteran player on the market who might be willing to play for very little for this season and next due to his buyout.

• Loonie says:

I agree the market is created because of the low salary he’ll probably take. But knowing that a buyout was in the works could have prompted trade.

• Chris says:

I look at it entirely opposite. Knowing that a buyout was Montreal’s only option was exactly what prevented a trade.

Why trade for a player you want when you know you can get him for nothing? And in the process, you keep the screws on Montreal preventing them from signing some of their other guys.

There are a lot of teams in the Eastern Conference that were more than happy to let Montreal twist in the wind with the Gomez deal, knowing that his cap hit makes hit hard for the Habs to get Subban under contract while still leaving enough to sign players next season.

We haven’t seen shenanigans thus far in the cap world because the incredible growth in the cap each year made it difficult to “screw your neighbour”. But for the next couple of years, at least, things are going to be very tight for a lot of teams. If ever there was a time for offer sheets that might actually work, it could be this coming summer.

• Loonie says:

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but I’m operating under the premise that it’s teams in the West who want Gomez because they see less of him. ;)

As for the offer sheets I think you’re absolutely right. This coming off-season with a cap at $64 million will prompt one of two things. Somebody will either go bananas with offer sheets or there will be a TON of big trades happening.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Gomez is being paid his full salary this year. A pro rated 5.5M which is about 3.3M. Of course all players will have pro rated pay cheques this year. He will lose a total of 1.5M in the two upcoming years. So he would break even if he could play this season and next at $750000 a season.

The only thing he’s going to lose during this whole fiasco is his pride.

• Loonie says:

So a salary retention trade however unlikely would be $1.6 million for the Habs and their partner this season and $2.25 million next season with equal cap hit of $3.6 million in each year.

Doesn’t seem too far fetched that a trade could have happened, but it would have been a slim possibility.

51. Loonie says:

A couple of years back a lot of people thought that Jarred Tinordi had a ceiling as a defensive first guy who would be relied on exclusively for that kind of play when he was drafted.

Since that time he’s improved his speed and lateral movement on his skates to the point where he doesn’t give much away. That’s the first step. His positioning at the NHL level will be critical now in determining whether or not he’s ready for an NHL audition. But on top of that he missed a 2 and a half zone stretch pass last night by what looked like less than a foot and had a couple of very good shots on Price that very nearly wound up in the net.

I’m really looking forward to seeing him in his first meaningful NHL game. There was a play last night where he lost a battle in the corner, was beat by his man going to the net(think it was Cole) and caught him before he could get open and in scoring position.

I still think Nathan Beaulieu has more upside because the level of his talent is through the roof and he doesn’t give away anything in the size department, but I’m anxious to see Tinordi in meaningful game action because he’s improved very quickly on the things that probably kept him from being a top 10 draft pick.

Tom doesn’t it seem like Tinordi just needs adjustment time at every level he is promoted to?

When he first arrived at London, early things didn’t look good for him, by the end of the season, the Captain had his team in the Memorial Cup and did nothing but steady play. Early with the Dogs he appeared out of place and now he seems pretty settled with the Dogs.

While I know the NHL is still a greater challenge, I wonder if he isn’t almost ready to try that next challenge. Clearly he won’t be a showstopper right away, but he seems to adjust rather quickly.

Just as Galchenyuk seems to ask the right questions for help and has pedigree, it appears the same with Jared.

• Loonie says:

I’m not sure with Tinordi if he’s ready for that jump for a couple of reasons. The first is that it’s hard to know if he’s added and maintained the mass needed for him to play his game at the NHL level. Before these guys have settled into their fitness level the drop weight like crazy early in the NHL. If he’s underweight right now I’m not sure he can be the physical presence he’s going to need to thrive. The other is can he deal with the mental gaffes? I’ve seen about a half dozen Dogs games and in every one of them he’s had one or two plays each game where he creates a dumpster fire in his own zone. If he reacts well to those mistakes I wouldn’t have a problem with him at the very least getting an audition and go from there. And he’s another guy with a former pro father, my gut says he’ll be able to deal with the adversity and yes, he’s been adjusting and developing very quickly.

• Habfan10912 says:

Apple and oranges perhaps. Beaulieu and Tinordi are completely different players. Beaulieu, in what little I’ve seen, has more puck handling/QB skills and is a smooth skater. Lots of talent.
      Tinordi is a monster (sorry for the Maguire word). He seems to have a very good understanding of his position and is very seldom out of position defensively. One of his strengths which was missing last night was his physicality. There is going to be room for both of these guys for years to come. I tend to be overly optimistic on these things but you can”t coach 6’6″. One guy who is getting a lot of hype recently is Ellis. I wonder if those three will be joining Emelin, PK, Gorges and hopefully a healthy Markov soon?

———————————–

• BJ says:

Good evaluation. He reminds me somewhat of Craig Ludwig for those who might have seen him play. Steady, strong and great team player. Tinordi I think will be a notch up on Ludwig with the same style. As for Beaulieu I dare say a Paul Coffey type skater (maybe a notch down) great puck handler. We can finally look forward to a very good well balanced D in the near future.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’d take that!

———————————–

• Loonie says:

Yeah the team overall has a very bright future in the talent department. On the defensive side I really hope that Emelin doesn’t get lost in the shuffle. Not many people see the offensive upside there and maybe they’re right, but some people see the offensive upside and I hope they’re right.

• 24 Cups says:

Tinordi belongs in Hamilton, plain and simple. It’s one thing to bring up Glachenyuk who can be hidden on LW, it’s quite another to throw a junior out on defense. Tinordi needs at least a year in the AHL, if not two.

• Loonie says:

I don’t disagree he has to work on his positioning Steve but his skill development so far has been great.

There’s no need to bring him up right now but I don’t think that it would be catastrophic for him to get a few games.

52. Cal says:

1 more sleep!

So, do the laffs land Luongo today, causing a buzz for opening night?

53. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s funny – I’m a teacher and every kid I know who was going to try for a place at the Bell centre show last night had never before been to a live Habs Game. Their families can’t afford it.
    When you consider all the ‘pan over the crowd’ shots, there were huge numbers of kids in there.
    There are problems in the NHL the lockout didn’t even come close to looking at – quite the opposite.
    As my board I.D. would suggest, I’ve been a fan for a long time, and I am excited to watch some Habs hockey this week. Strangely, I am not as pumped as I usually am. I will watch most of the games on TV, as usual, but I won’t set foot in the Bell Centre, wear logos or buy merchandise. I won’t drink Molson’s beer. I will be a hockey freeloader.
    If I see ownership make a tradition of opening games to the majority of young fans who can’t afford regular season games, I’ll reconsider. But I also know I am totally insignificant to this organization and what I think or do doesn’t really matter. The NHL aspires to the Toronto model with corporate seats, empty or not. Habs seats are going to be more things you bribe contractors with than things you get for kids…
    But, enough of business – I think we may have an interesting spectacle ahead of us on the habs TV schedule, which is my favourite reality show.
    And HIO is still a great read.

• habstrinifan says:

” Habs seats are going to be more things you bribe contractors with”.

Fantastic line! I think there’s a subpoena with your name on it though… to some fool the public public inquiry against corruption.

• Habfan10912 says:

Very well thought out post Charlie. A similar argument could be made for all of my favorite sports. You have to be among the wealthy to just take a family of four to a baseball/basketball/football game. There are some venues down my way charging $30 just for parking. The games you spoke of loving have been kidnapped by greed and big business.
      I’ve taken a similar no purchase pledge as well but I’ve only committed to this season. I am too much of an addict to do any more then that. Great post Charlie!

———————————–

• Habfun says:

Excellent post Charlie, I too will boycott certain things as you stated. I was going to go to the intrasquad game last night but changed my mind. And I was going to boycott watching the games this year but being habcrazed I think I can only do that until the puckdrop. As for Molson products, I just can’t help myself, I do tip the odd Export!

So here’s to it. Go Habs Go!!!!

It\\\’s all about the CH

Uh-oh Aaron Ward had more advice for PK this morning on TSN panel, even Ferraro chimed in. This could make for some HI/O fodder today.

• habstrinifan says:

Let me be the first to say that I think it’s B.S Malarkey what they said. Oh by the way, “What exactly did they say?”.

• Loonie says:

I actually felt that they kept it in check for the most part. Ward’s comment that Subban’s being unprofessional and indicating he’s been late or missed team meetings was interesting. Would have thought that we’d be hearing about it before now if it were happening.

As for being unprofessional for not having a contract. I feel that’s Ward grasping at more straws in putting Subban down. Maybe I’m just stupid but I have no idea how it’s unprofessional to either not be working while not under contract or by not being willing to this point to take a two year contract.

There’s two sides to this negotiation as we know and Ward’s no less guilty of taking a side in this without any substance to back it up than we are.

Having said that. I’m just happy to be able to see the Habs in action again. It was nice watching Markov last night and I’m not looking forward to the day that he’s gone. Also very excited about Galchenyuk. He didn’t stand out in a bad or good way last night and made a few plays that most rookies don’t make right away.

What seems to be coming to light in the negotiation is that the real stumbling block appears to be term. However, perhaps once term is settled then money becomes the stumbling block. Time will tell, TSN also had an interview with MB yesterday in which he was quite adamant that trade talk was not an option, that resigning PK is still number 1 priority.

I too am very excited to watch tomorrow night, and having Markov back is awesome.

With each passing day of camp, it sure seems like Galchenyuk would have to make some egregious rookie mistakes in order to be sent back to Sarnia. I am excited to see him play the season in Montreal.

• Loonie says:

Yeah the Galchenyuk case is funny because there are differing views but the one question that I don’t believe anybody here has really asked, me included is. Is he an upgrade on Bourque as a scoring option on the second line? I think the answer is a resounding yes if Plekanec is in the middle on that line.

It might just be as simple as that. When you’re ready you’re ready and I don’t see anything to be gained in terms of his development by him scoring two points per game in Sarnia for the remainder of the year. He’s been asking EVERYBODY in Habs camp for help in development and learning too. He knows what he needs to do and with a father who was a pro hockey player I find it highly unlikely that he’d fall on his face.

• Habfan10912 says:

Not directed at the messenger here but as predictable, let the mud slinging begin. All I know is when PK is on the ice he NEVER takes a shift off. Nuff said!

———————————–

• Loonie says:

It’s certainly unfortunate that a lot of people seem to be exploiting contracts in a way that allows them to falsely criticize Subban.

He has parts of his game to work on like most everyone else, but I don’t think the personal attacks are necessary. I don’t remember Aaron Ward or others giving Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand hell for being immature bar stars when they were up for contract extensions.

55. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin and player agent Donald Meehan won’t be alone in the room the next time they meet to discuss PK Subban’s new contract.
    They’ll be joined by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and players’ union president Donald Fehr.
    “Dragging out contract negotiations doesn’t do the league’s image any good, especially when it involves one of the game’s young superstars,” Bettman said. “We owe it to our fans to do everything in our power to mediate a resolution.”
    “The danger is, the longer these talks take, the greater the risk relations between the two sides could become irreparably damaged,” Fehr said. “We don’t want to see that happen.”
    Both men expressed concern that Bergevin and Meehan haven’t been meeting every day to try to reach a deal before the season begins Saturday.
    ‘”Time is precious, and every effort should be made to sign a deal as quickly as possible, even if it means working 10, 12, 14 hours every day until it gets done,” Fehr said, with Bettman nodding approvingly in the background.
    “Players want to be on the ice playing, not sidelined while negotiations carry on,” Bettman said, “and teams have an obligation to our National Hockey League partners, who provide tremendous financial support, and to our fans, whose fantastic allegiance we couldn’t do without, to put together the best roster they can to open the season. Not having Subban in the lineup would be a grave mistake.”
    “And making unreasonable contract demands threatens the financial stability of the entire league when the whole point of the new collective bargaining agreement was to keep salaries within reason so everyone could profit handsomely – teams and players,” Fehr said.
    Bettman and Fehr, who are experts on lockouts, admitted they knew little about player holdouts but agreed “the two are pretty much the same,” Fehr said, “but on a smaller scale,” Bettman added.
    Both expressed optimism that Subban would be on the ice for Montreal’s home game against the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night.
    “Do the math,” Bettman said. “It took us 113 days to sign a CBA involving more than 700 players. One player should take us about four hours.”
    “And we don’t plan to stop for lunch,” Fehr added.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

56. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. Sure was fun watching some hockey involving our boys last night, huh? Loved the way Markov skated. Bourque and Kabrele also played well. Weber playing the forward position probably means he’s the odd man out, no?

———————————–

Kudos to the Leafs Ownership for making their season opener a free game for season ticket holders and other tickets given away. My only question, given Bell and Rogers are the owners, do the ticket holders have to sign a 3 or 4 year contract to get this?

58. HABZ24 says:

Terrien says mike blundens a hard worker in camp,i believe he scored last night, now he gets put on waivers wtf ! Luv the habs meet and greeting the fans at the door classy. A free scrimmage open to the fans with a free combo and 50 percent off merch nice gesture. Why cant there be two buyouts allowed right away . Then we can also buy out kabrele now send him packing today with gomer. Drop the puck for real cant wait, xmas all over again !!

GO HABS GO

It is presently a numbers game for the bottom 6 forward positions. Hopefully Blunden is not claimed, as we will inevidibly get injuries and Blunden would probably be amongst the first recalled.

I am still hopeful Kaberle can play well enough to either help the team on the ice or help the team via a trade.

• rhino514 says:

I like Blunden. Unfortunately, with the acquisition of Prust and Armstrong he will probably not get a chance now. He may not have their pedigree (a strange word to use for 4th liners), but I think he could outperform Armstrong at this point and be a good NHL fourth liner. He needs to really kick butt in the AHL this season, perform slightly better than he is doing now, even though he´s been doing ok, and then maybe he can get a shot next season.

• habstrinifan says:

Wow! We totally agree! I compared Prust to Blunden last night, wondering if it wouldnt have been better to go with Blunden and not sign Prust. I think he matches up better against Prust. Armstrong has better pedigree and if fully recovered from his injuries can turn out to be a huge player for us.

• rhino514 says:

A team with less cash would give Blunden a shot and not sign Prust. We have no way of knowing if Blunden can do something similar to Prust until he gets a chance to play half a season in the NHL. But Prust scored 12 goals two years ago and it SEEMS like he is a marginally better offensive player and has good playoff experience (although he didn´t do much in the playoffs). Wether that is worth an extra 1.6 million is open to debate.
          In an ideal world I would like having Blunden and Prust.
          The problem is the habs have a real glut of fourth liners,a nd RWs in general.
          Even if Armstrong is not with the club next year, you have:
          Prust, White, who is probably not a good enough faceoff man to be at centre, and possibly Moen, if we eventually sign a LW for the third line.
          So his only chance would be to hope Moen stays on the third line, beat out White, while being able to adapt to playing LW. All this while not being claimed by some other team, which is entirely possible. Not easy

• Cal says:

Blunden doesn’t fight like Prust can and will.
          Prust is in Montreal to let the others know he has their backs.

I’m thinking Armstrong can ne a big plus if he’s recovered enough.
          Going to be a short, crazy season!

• rhino514 says:

Agree that with Armstrong it is simply a question of health. however, toronto didn´t let him go for nothing. We shouldn´t get overly excited.
            Right about Prust. He can defend other players probably better than Blunden.
            there are so many guys with upside on the habs this year it makes it for a real interesting year.
            I personally think diaz has a chance to blossom, specially if PK isn´t ready to go. Also interesting to see wether White can be good.

• Habfan10912 says:

I kind of like the idea of having the buy out after the season. Creates a kind of a competition between Bourque and Kabrele. From what we saw last night, both players might be motivated by this.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

Biggest competition in HABS camp-season? Bourque-Kaberle fighting to see who escapes a buyout. Somehow something seems wrong with this picture.

I get what you are saying but OMG I hope it doesnt turn out to be talking point of the season.

59. geo_habsgo says:

The fact that there was only 17,000 fans had little to do with people being angry with the lockout. I heard about the lineup and would only have been able to go to the Bell Centre at 4:30. I figured that with it being so cold I would just end up freezing only to be denied entry. I think they were done in by their own hype more than anything.

60. rhino514 says:

By the way does anyone know what Randy Cunneyworth is up to? He went from being one of the top coach prospects in the ahl to disappearing, it seems, because of the whole fiasco.

And reading the above text message from Subban; doesn´t anyone find it long-winded for a text message? It´s almost like he is consciously trying to get the fans on his sideI guess PK “knows what the fans want to see”, that´s comforting…

61. rhino514 says:

It seems we always have a key player injured in recent years to start the season and just when this is no longer the case we now have to start the season with our most valuable dman on the sidelines. And just because of a contract dispute of all things! Disheartening.

62. AceMagnum says:

Whenever I type “Subban” the automatic spell checker changes it to “Sunbeam” lol

63. JayK-47 says:

I like how EL_PRESEDENTE misspells everything.

But figured out how to upload a picture to Gravatar.

Edit: My bad, he’s spelling properly this evening.

64. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

According to my crystal ball, Price is out for the year and Subban is going to the flyers for a second and a third.

65. Un Canadien errant says:

Any chance it was ‘only’ 17 000 fans because a lot were scared away by reports of a lineup at 0700 hr in -20 degree weather? That might have made a lot of people assume they wouldn’t be able to get tickets and get in, so they made other plans?

From my vantage point in B.C., there sure isn’t a boycotty vibe around the Canucks.

66. abetx says:

Hab fan in Texas. Would like to watch the Canadiens on my PC.
    Can anyone forward me some links that show the Habs games.
    English or French. Speak both.
    Abe

67. habstrinifan says:

I am glad Therrien singled out Blunden and Gallagher. I am still unsure re the status of Blunden after the waiver.
    I hope we do not lose him. I think he deserves to be on the team ahead of a White right now.

• commandant says:

Some teams choose to clear players on waivers pre lockout and send them to the AHL. Others did not.

Those who cleared Waivers in September can stay in the AHL, so long as they are not called up to the NHL. If they are called up to the NHL they need waivers to go down again.

Montreal choose not to pre-clear their players (worried about losing players pre-lockout). Instead they were locked out players who signed AHL only deals during the lockout (like a player signing in Europe)

The moment the lockout ended, their AHL only deal was terminated and they went back to their 2 way NHL/AHL contract.

Due to their age, they must clear waivers to be assigned to the Bulldogs.

Aaron Palushaj will face the same situation the moment he is healthy. Cedrick Desjardins has already cleared. Blunden and St. Denis are on waivers now.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

68. Loonie says:

He’ll have a new team today.

69. Habfan10912 says:

I’m just happy he’s gone. He can score his goal and 4 assist for someone else. Anyone who’s watched him play the last 2 seasons should know what they’re getting

———————————–

70. Habsrule1 says:

I don’t know about today, but Gomez will play this season if he wants to. Any GM, even Bergevin, would want him for 1M.

Ok…maybe not Bergevin.

71. Mattyleg says:

Gomez doesn’t suck, he put up good points with us in his first season, then was injured.
    I am not making excuses for how badly he played for us, but there were reasons… our coaching didn’t help.

The main thing that caused him to have so much criticism leveled towards him was his redonkulous contract. Now that’s off his back, I imagine he’ll play to his capabilities, which means 40-50pts at this stage of his career.

72. nunacanadien says:

That would mean Gainey was stupid and Bergevin even stupidier for allowing this to become an issue for the Board of Governors to find a solution for!

73. Habfan10912 says:

The bigger problem with him was made worse by the club’s continuing to play him top 6 minutes. Even if he was a so called nice guy that had to take some of the performance based reward incentive sting out of the room.

———————————–

74. Mad Habber says:

I can see the Flames signing him.. The are playing Tanguay at centre because they are shallow there. Plus, he’s played with Cammaleri and Tanguay. They could sign him to a cheap 1 year deal to see how he pans out. Feaster has been known to take a chance now and again.

75. Loonie says:

I clicked the link. Saw that he called Marc Bergevin by the incorrect name and closed it.

76. BJ says:

The article pretty well circles everything HIO pundits have written. Maybe he’s a member?

77. von says:

^^^ LOL

_________________________________

But its written by Harry Dole, don’t you remember when he used to write for the high school paper?

79. Mattyleg says:

Ha! Me too.
    Obviously a credible source.
    That’s the Internets for yeh. Misinformation for the people, by the people.

80. Loonie says:

The Jets aren’t exactly deep at centre either.

81. Mattyleg says:

Oh, I thought it said, “Hurry, dole!”

82. Loonie says:

Hey don’t blame the internet. Television media isn’t much better.

Thankfully I know I can trust the TSN Panel for the truth. ;-)

84. BrianSkrudland says:

Aside from the Habs, I have followed the Devils with varying levels of focus (rabid to passive) over the years. While, as a whole, it was a rather disappointing run for Gomez in a Habs uniform; I agree that being out from under the burden of the pressure associated with his large contract (as well as nagging injuries), Gomez will be a positive contributor to any NHL team he joins.

I am not as optimistic that he will reach 50 points, however, I do suspect that he could post 40 points in a regular 82-game season.

85. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, 50 is pretty optimistic, I agree.
    And I was thinking about a full schedule.
    So we can expect 20pts from a shortened sched. I imagine.