More on the Bergevin hiring

Adding to all the links that Mike Boone posted earlier today and that Dave Stubbs posted yesterday on HIO, here are a few more:

First is an interview with Bergevin himself by Ron MacLean on Hockey Night in Canada last night during the second intermission.

François Gagnon in La Presse calls the hiring “a complete break with the sad recent history of the Canadiens,” and focuses on how human Bergevin is compared to his predecessor. He also says Bergevin understands NHLers well, having been one for 20 years. And he speculates Bergevin might hire Rick Dudley or Francois Giguere to be his senior advisor.

Although he supported Pierre McGuire’s candidacy for the GM’s job, Scotty Bowman has some good things to say about Bergervin, specifically his work ethic and his grasp of hockey talent, to Tim Wharnsby of CBC.ca. Bowman and Bergevin worked together with the Blackhawks, although Bowman tells Wharnsby that Serge Savard did not phone him to discuss Bergevin during the hiring process.

Here’s the TSN report on the hiring and afterward the NHL on TSN panel, including a discussion of who Bergevin might hire as coach and the fate of Scott Gomez.

Dave linked to the profile that Chris Kuc from The Chicago Tribune wrote on Bergevin in December, and here’s Kuc’s story on the hiring from today’s Chicago Tribune.

They’re always wary of the Canadiens in Boston, and here’s NESN’s Douglas Flynn worried that Bergevin “might actually know what he’s doing.”

Dale Tallon, who first hired Bergevin in Chicago, told Louis Jean of SportsNet that no one will outwork the new GM. Jean also writes that it was Bergevin’s communication skills that won over Geoff Molson.

The jokester in Bergevin is the subject of this blog post by Mike Halford of NBC.com’s Pro Hockey Talk blog.

And Roy MacGregor of The Globe and Mail says “It’s time to smile again in Montreal.”

1. Don Carnage says:

I like the choice I get the feeling he will work out fine, and as for PM as GM there was an interview on tsn990 with Serge and he was asked about PM he said “oh yes the guy is impressive when you talk to him for the first half hour” I get the feeling after half an hour he had heard enough to !! :0)

2. AceMagnum says:

Oh dear God, Bergevin talks exactly like Rejean Houle. I’m frightened. Please hold me.

3. I’m hearing lot’s of talk about Roy, Big Bird, Vignault, Maurice and others as head coach, but whoever it is, we have to understand the major shortcomings that we need to address and who can best address these issues with Bergevin.
    1) Power play is horrendous. Just watch the better ones this Playoff season. They move the puck and when they shoot, they are in the crease to pick-up any rebound. They block any clear with their bodies, hands you name it. hungry and desperate.
    2) Only one offensive line. We need another two pieces of offense on the RW and in Center. We have two 30 plus goal scorers and that is it. Cammy as a sniper is gone and Bourque is a dead-weight.
    3) babies on defense like the Swiss cheese in Weber (he needs to go), Diaz, Kaberle all stink. Gill is slow and not at all as aggressive as a similar sized giant in Charenstein. Nor does he shoot or score. We need two way defensive veterans that can shoot hard and move the puck.
    4) Everyone has to contribute. Getting rid of a waste of a high draft spot in Andre Kostitsyn was a good move. His 4AM Playoff escapade is enough proof to keep him out of the organization. Chock it up to another bad scouting report. If we had a team of average players with a work ethic like DD, then we’d be holding the Stanley Cup up down St. Catherines st. this summer. What coach will be able to do that.
    5) Train and support the youth. Don’t bring up Tinordi, Kristo or anyone else until they are ready. Just like bringing up LL who wasn’t ready and decimating Hamilton, desperate, but nobody running the team or leading in development.

Summary: The parts that Bergevin recognizes we have are Pleks (he has talent and needs a coach. This year was a disaster for everyone. He is a 20 plus goal scorer and a necessary point man), Max-pac, DD, Cole (only good thing the Ghost did), Subban, Gionta, Price, Emelin (if he starts checking again and can protect his face plate), Staubitz (he can skate, hit and has some hands. Let him learn to skate and shoot more and we’ll have a legitimate heavyweight), Eller (needs some more development and can be good as he hits, can skate and score. Should be a 25 goal scorer), Markov (how long he’ll be healthy? Who knows so get what we can out of him on the PP and early periods), Gorges is solid, but won’t put up numbers. That is 12 only!
    Those on the bubble include Moen, who is big and can skate, but won’t put up numbers. A 4th liner, with perhaps White, who is our version of Marchand without the hand and goal scoring skills, Blunden can be worked in as he is big, will have to hit and would be a nice addition to a 4th line wall to make opponents miserable and LL, St. Denis and even Dumont may be able to put up more numbers and be strong on defense, but they are all bubbles for 2013. That leaves us with gaping holes on line 2 and three on offense and short of one and a half defensive lines. No depth after 18 above are being included as first line players assuming nobody will be traded. The rest who are;
    Noki
    Gomez
    Palushaj
    Kaberle
    Engqvist
    Geoffrion (shame… would have been nice if he could skate of shoot!)
    Campoli
    Darche (he has heart too, but little skill)
    Budaj (can’t watch when he’s in the net… very inconsistent)

Fully one third of the team will be gone. Price will have to be signed and if he wants 10 years and $100 million, we’ll have to let him go. Don’t want another Lou situation like in Vancouver. Subban is important and for those that include him in a trade for an unknown high pick, that’s just stupid. Subban is 22! Think of where he’ll be at 26 after being able to handle the suffocating Montreal fandom… That would be a very bad day for the Canadiens. We should build from within and take UFA and RFA that will help with the holes I’ve identified above. Otherwise, it’s desperate and Bergevin doesn’t seem like he is desperate, thak goodness. Oh and why buyout Gomez before the CBA? Park him in Hamilton. I hope Bergevin has had plenty of counsel on that situation. Whoever suggested Gommez was bought out a couple of days ago needed their head examined. He has skills, is good on defense and is a $2.5-3 million player. That is what he should be traded for to someone who can use him like CBJ, Minnesota and so many other teams that are just lost. He is a veteran that is in his early thirties and can have an impact role at settling down youngsters on the Oilers and other youthful teams. Lot’s of folks on HIO talk with their emotions, but this is a business and I’m hoping Bergevin runs this trade like it should be.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• takuto97 says:

I agree with pretty much all you said, and especially your assesment of Gill. That’s why it’s a damn fine thing he was traded to Nashville back in February….;-p

4. roman62 says:

Bob Hartley or Marc Crawford are the best candidates to coach the HABS. Bringing back Alain Vigneault or Michel Therrien does not really promote the new culture that the team is trying to instill. And if Patrick Roy is chosen, all credibility is lost in the new GM.

5. habsguru says:

Bergevin will work out. he is not so vane to attempt it on his own, and likely has a management team lined up. McGuire would have been good as well, but what’s done is done.

Language was not as much of an issue for the GM as the Coach.

Roy or Therien……………………………………………
    SERIOUS!!!

If he hires either, tell him his hiring was just a joke, and bring in McGuire.

6. ML4L1969 says:

this hire will go down in history as a disaster like that of Reggie Houle’s tenure.. They made this hire to appease the French Canadian public who wanted a “Gars de Chez nous” nothing less then that.. The dumbest move was not to hire Pierre McGuire!!!! I only hope he’ll get another job (like in Toronto ) so he can prove that your all dumb asses…….

• alwayssunny says:

Yeah they really let one get away there. Because owners have been lining up to hire Pierre McGuire. And i`m glad you already have measured Bergevin’s tenure. A fair and reasonable assessment.

• chinahab says:

They considered Jim Nill but he bowed out due to family reasons. So I think they might have hired an anglophone. I think it’s the coach who needs to face the cameras every day and speak French.

• D Mex says:

McGuire to TO – yes !!
      Sounds like a great combination ! …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• jrshabs1 says:

the laffs can have McGuire he’d be a certain upgrade to idiot running the show now.

Go Habs Go!!

• Caper says:

Come on man. Are you for real or a troll. If you know anything about the Habs history, you would know that outside of Irving Grundman, Reggie Houle (albeit a decent human being) was absolutely horrible as a GM and the hockey world knew it the day he was hired. Do your research on Houle and Bergevin before you comment. Dumb a—! Look in the mirror.

• srq3000 says:

OK Regis,

If you’re going to keep talking about yourself let’s use your real name. It’s not Pierre McGuire, it’s Regis McGuire and you’re from New Jersey. You never played hockey and only got a chance in hockey by making stuff up about yourself. You have failed at the chances given and are also the worst broadcaster other than Emrick.
      The only person who interviewed you for the Canadians job was yourself. You never had a chance and never will so STFU!
      And please take yourself to Toronto for future fantasies.

7. croozer says:

Bergevin seems like a good choice.
    Lots of enthusiasm and passion.
    I also like that Cunneyworth is being treated with respect – it seems like Molson understands that recently, the Habs haven’t always been the class organization they need to be.
    Sendiing Cammi the game sweater was a good move too.

Vigneault as coach works.
    I’d LOVE to see Big Bird working with the young defencemen.
    Roy has the passion but the Montreal media would just make a sport out of getting him to explode.

Other than that – let’s just get a room full of guys committed to the team and each other.
    The kind of room where NO ONE would even THINK about doing the Radulov/Kostitsyn brain cramp.

And do NOT give PK or Price mega money.
    Sure – they should be getting very good money but let them show us they can carry the team deep in the playoffs before they get the ‘untouchable franchise player’ type cash.

8. The Gonk says:

Even the nitwit from NESN has realized having anyone but Gauthier should improve our team. I like the Bergevin signing and the approach Molson has taken in the selection process. The rubber now hits the road starting with what Bergevin does on the management team he surrounds him with and the coach he hires. I can’t see Roy and don’t want Crawford or Hartley, so let’s see if he has something else in mind. Jettisoning Gomez sans buy-out seems like a no-brainer. I also wonder if he will be bold at the draft. How about trading PK for Edmonton’s pick? Then there is the UFA market. We need bodies everywhere, but a 2nd-line winger and a veteran d-man would be nice.

9. Duracell3 says:

Was hoping by some miracle we’d get Cervenka…..well at least the Flames didn’t get him cheap.

10. zorro1999 says:

Pierre McGuire is always in Scott Bowman’s shadow. He always mentions how Scott did this and that before he makes own decision. He just likes a student never graduate. You’re a boss if you’re GM. Being a GM it’s not only hockey IQ and also leadership. It is a whole package.

• alwayssunny says:

I’m sure he was a good little assistant for Bowman as he was in a couple of other jobs. Do the chores, good boy. I can’t imagine any coach, player, or opposing GM taking this guy seriously once they get a dose of him. It’s why his career trajectory has gone backwards instead of forwards as far as pro hockey goes.

I don’t keep track but I bet there have been around 75 GM hirings in the 15 years since Mcguire has gone back to being a spectator just like every other slob. He has been interviewed for exactly 3 of those jobs, and it’s only by his own account that he was ever taken seriously in the first place. Him and Farber were yapping about him being runner up yesterday but I never heard anyone in the organization say that he was. He was interviewed as were many others. I’m so glad he isn’t our GM. Bergevin is the polar opposite of McGuire. Doesn’t have to namedrop and prove himself with every sentence.

• alwayssunny says:

The best part was listening to him give advice to Bergevin the day after the hiring. Thanks Pierre, I doubt he’s listening to you. You just keep yapping away you have found your calling.

• SuperHabFan says:

How come he was the last candidate to get the call? It was the Canadiens brain trust that asked to speak with him and dragged him along that long. They obviously liked something.

• 44har48 says:

Hahahahahaha…if you’re right in the end, I’ll remember I heard it here first. I think you are crazy. Pierre MacGuire is a clown and he will be hard pressed to find work as an executive in this league. I don’t even buy the crap that he was truly 2nd on the list, maybe on paper.

11. dorvalhabsfan says:

Please I hope people will realize past greats won’t be coming behind the bench… no lemaire, or robinson or anyone from that era.. we want an offensively entertaining hockey team to work with our players… having anyone like those great minds behind the bench in an assistant capacity will only serve to undermine the head coach.. people will be quick to want to get rid of him due to our more then qualified assistant coaches.. wont happen never will… the new coach will get to pick his team and those types of names are just clinging to an old boys club mentality… whoever gets hired as head coach i hope he chooses an assistant coach who can communicate the Head Coaches plan to the players and help them work on the finer points of their game…

With that said if it was up to me i would not want Crawford as coach nor Hartley.. i would be happy with an “up and comer” much like Guy Boucher when he was hired by TB, but the assistant coaches will most definitely have had a history in some capacity with the new head coach.

Go Habs Go

12. HabsProf says:

I’m sure I’m not the only one to mention this, but I would like to see Pierre McGuire get a position as Assistant GM or Senior Advisor or whatever. I know he can be an annoying broadcaster, but I think (and more importantly, others who know what they are talking about think) he would be an excellent GM. If he and Bergevin can work together, I would love to have him. (Besides, it would have the added bonus of getting him off the air).
    _____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

• dorvalhabsfan says:

I agree with you that would be amazing, although if Pierre is to be believed he says he would only want a GM position in order to leave his TV duties, it would be really great but i dont think its going to happen

Go Habs Go

13. RC-51 says:

All things considered since this year the draft is loaded with talent on D, I would draft Murray, if the blueJackets dont.The forwards,ie Grigo reminds me of AK27/AK46. Just my opinion but WTF do I know?

• habitunts1 says:

Could the Habs possibly entice a sweet trade deal with Edmonton along with the swapping of our 3rd pick for there 1st pick to land Nail? They could still land a good Dman

crid

• DorvalTony says:

Love to see that. Pollock would try. Will Bergevin?

tony-mclean.blogspot.com

• SlovakHab says:

There will be a bidding war on that 1st overall, and I can imagine there will be many teams offering EDM a good defenceman for 1st round pick swap. I don’t know what we can offer them, but Pateryn or Ellis might not be good enough to jump from 3rd to 1st, while Tinordi, Bealieau or Subban would be way too much to pay for a jump of 2 spots, especially because this year’s no.1 is Yakupov, not Crosby, MacKinnon, Tavares or Stamkos.

I would love to get our hands on next year’s CBJ 1st rounder and see if they win a lottery next year. MacKinnon seams like a real deal.

• 44har48 says:

I would offer our first this year, our late third this year, one of our thirds next year, and a good prospect to get Nail. I feel the forwards behind him are not worth the top picks. I would normally not ever trade picks and give up depth opportunities but this is a chance to get the #1 overall and a can’t miss. I think we need to try.

14. habitunts1 says:

ok on to Business anyone have a solid pick for our 3rd pick of the draft

crid

15. oneslowfiveoh says:

Is there anyone else besides myself who thinks Paul Maurice would make a good candidate? If given some talent, I think he has the qualities to be excellent. Watching him on TSN, I’m always impressed by his ability to critique without being offensive.

• habitunts1 says:

Always liked Paul Maurice alot when he coached the Whalers in Hartford CT would he be a fit? yeah I could see him as coach

crid

16. Gumper Knows Best says:

Yea, I know I am new and don’t have a clue how to get an avatar, but Guy Lapointe will be back from Minnesota. Talk about Robinson all you want. Big 3? Who was the real best?

17. frontenac1 says:

Was never convinced with Roy behind the bench but with Cunney back there playing good cop and Robinson back there also, well now I’m thinking just maybe…..

• habitunts1 says:

Love the idea of having Robinson behind the bench with Cunney who worked his butt of this year! but for Coach I would have to lean towards a more patient guy to pull the troops together as a working unit. My brain says Vig my heart wants Roy oh decisions decisions

crid

18. frontenac1 says:

Agreed! Been saying that for months now,Bring Big Bird Home!

• commandant says:

Need a strong defenceman to coach our young d in Montreal, and a second in Hamilton.

Big Bird in Montreal.
      Eric Desjardins in Hamilton.

So many prospects and these guys can do what Laperriere did for years for our team, develop the young D and teach them how to play.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• steve17 says:

I agree, bring in the Big bird to coach the young defence on the game and what it is like to be in Hab. I also think it is the right time to Bring in Roy as head coach. He may be full of himself but if he instills the attitude of our goal is to win the cup, not that whimpy, our goal is to make the playoffs attitude and shows that fiery passion, it will do wonders. Robinson could help balance him out. Pat Burns was a fiery coach! Look how well he did!!

Habfan17

19. wd40 says:

No offence, and I’m not saying I’m unhappy with the choice, but I can’t see how Bergevin out-scored McGuire on “Communication”.

• Habfan10912 says:

No offence to PM but communication entails listening as well.

———————————–

• wd40 says:

touché! :)

Just saying, PM is one of the most articulate and knowledgeable hockey guys out there.

You could be right though.

• Habsolutely says:

What’s so knowledgeable about saying Markov was nothing without Komiserek? What’s so knowledgeable about wanting to draft Brule instead of Price?

• steve17 says:

PM is great at adding useless fluff to fill out his replies to questions. When I ask a question about what you think of player X, I want your thoughts, not a rundown of every place you saw him, the dates and who else was there! Pierre is good a remembering, but knowing names and places is a far cry from running a hockey team. I read lot about the NHl and the players. I am an avid fan, does that make me GM material, hell no! Pierre could answer a lot more questions when he is on the radio shows if he made his answers brief and to the point and left out the fluff! Montreal did not need a GM full of fluff!

Habfan17

• Bripro says:

OK in PM’s defence, how does anyone know what his listening skills are like? In order to be knowledgeable, you have to be able to listen. And he knows an awful lot about hockey. He talks now because that’s his job. He might just be the best listener out there. We don’t know….do we Jim?

• Polar Bear says:

Well Bergivin seems to have some humility and thoughtfulness and McGuire is full of s……….

• DorvalTony says:

He knows when to shut up.

tony-mclean.blogspot.com

20. Bripro says:

Nice collection Stu!
    I think the best laugh for me comes from NESN’s Doug Flynn.
    We all know how biased these guys usually are, but this line was pretty much bang on IMO…
    “the biggest reason for optimism in Montreal comes from the fact that Bergevin succeeds Pierre Gauthier, which may be the only way to work “Gauthier” and “succeeds” into the same sentence.

EDIT: The Photo of him as Caesar is pretty funny. Time to lighten up in the dressing room.

21. commandant says:

Sounds like Vigneault is toast in Vancouver.

Hire this man!

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Bripro says:

That makes him candidate no. 1 for the Habs’ coaching job!

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s fine by me Bri but I hope he’s buds with Larry Robinson. Really want big red behind the bench.

———————————–

• Bripro says:

I think that would be a great move Jim, but I’m not sure Big Bird wants that much attention. I’m more concerned with what type of goaltender coaching he puts into place.
          Price had a rough year last year, albeit behind poor defence. I would like to see them bring Melanson back.

• commandant says:

Price had a 916 save percentage… not exactly horrid.

He lost over 20 games (cant recall the exact number sorry) when the Habs scored 1 goal or less. This means in order to get a shot at winning he would have needed a shutout.

Price has a good relationship with Groulx and was at his worst under Melanson. Melanson’s insistance on butterfly technique doesn’t work for Price who is better playing a more hybrid style.

I think that spot is secure.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Bripro says:

I don’t pretend to know what type of relationship he has with Pierre Groulx. Thanks for that.
            But he had some poor performances, especially earlier on.
            He seemed far more solid the year before, and I just wonder if they’ve tried to remove his cockiness. I know that’s a maturity trait, but it certainly helped him when he first got here, especially during shoot-outs.

• commandant says:

I think you already touched on why he “seemed” more solid. The defence in front of him was better the year before.

As for shootouts, he definetely needs the cockiness back. I don’t know this for sure, but it seemed to me that he had a couple of bad shootouts at the start of the season and then lost confidence in that situation. Confidence is such a huge thing, that if he can get that swagger back I think he’ll be good in shootouts again.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Bripro says:

100%.
            I think he went 1-7 or even 0-7 in shoot outs before he slowly started to put it together.
            That’s a 7 point differential right there. And against teams in their conference, you can double that.
            That’s the difference between 8th and 15th.
            Although at this stage, given what 15th will bring us in the draft…I’m getting off topic. Sorry.

• steve17 says:

Robinson has saidihe would be happy to be an assiatant in Montreal, he has no desire to be a head coach.

Habfan17

22. H.Upmann says:

Just watched his interviews and press from yesterday.. First of all, wow! Great hire, Molson! Secondly- it was interesting to see Bergervin deflect questions and using his charm to keep his cards close to his chest. There’s a lot of tough decisions he’s going to have to make and keeping the media hounds at bay is key……. As for our beloved Gomez, all this talk of ‘winning culture’ has me believing that his days with the Habs are done.

23. ProHabs says:

My heart sinks a little every game I see Ryan McDonagh play.

24. Zorro1 says:

While Bergevin’s communication skills are one of the attributes that landed him the GM job, it was quite interesting during yesterday’s press conference when a reporter asked Bergevin a question to which Bergevin responded that he couldn’t answer that. Upon hearing that, Geoff Molson, who had been staring straight ahead, immediately turned his head to look at Bergevin, his (Molson’s) eyes as big as saucers.

25. The Jackal says:

Let’s start speculating about the coach! Who here would support Carbonneau being back. What about Alain Vigneault?

I just hope the new coach decides to keep RC as an assistant.

• Say Ash says:

I think they already said RC would be back in some fashion.

• commandant says:

I don’t want Carbo back, there is a reason none of the other 29 teams have even given him an interview, and his entry with the Canadian U18 team nearly got relegated. How do you coach a Canadian team and end up escaping relegation by the skin of your teeth?

Also there are still a few players from that 2009 team that completely quit on Carbo around. Its not a good situation.

I’d take Vigneault in a heart beat though. If he’s available, he’s the best coach on the market. Not just best coach who can speak french, best available coach period.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• JF says:

Carbonneau would be my first choice, Vigneault my second. Carbo had a great record until the team imploded, and I don’t think that was in any way his fault. From Gainey’s reaction at the end of the season, it seems he reached the same conclusion. Carbo’s teams played an offensive, exciting game, and they scored a lot of goals. Vigneault became a very good coach in Vancouver, and if the Canucks have finished with him or he with them, I’d welcome his coming here (but I wish he wasn’t always placidly chewing gum when the TV camera shows him behind the bench).

• Polar Bear says:

Yeh let’s move forward by hiring retreads. Get serious

26. commandant says:

Bergevin definitely feels like a breathe of fresh air that this franchise desperately needed.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

27. mrhabby says:

MB comes across as a non BS type of guy, straight shooter with a great work ethic. Seems like a breath of fresh air from what the fans , media and hockey world have been experiencing the last several years.
    Bergevin will complete his analysis from top to bottom of the habs and will leave no stone unturned iam hoping. There is lots of work to do to bring the team back to respectable levels.

28. FanCritic says:

Bergevin is just another piece of the puzzle – a puzzle that’s been missing pieces since 1993 who knows when this puzzle will have all the right pieces. they’ll probably have playoff pieces as early as 2013 but I’m not expecting anything beyond that only time will tell but I think we have a good start….

• ProHabs says:

The piece of puzzle that has been missing all those years is Patrick Roy.

• VintageFan says:

missing pieces? Not only are nearly all of the pieces missing, pieces from other puzzles have been left on the table, and the box, the one with the big picture, was filled with old bowling tallys and discarded years ago.
      Now we have an owner who remembers what the picture looks like, and a couple of pieces. Let’s hope Bergevin is an expert puzzle completer.

• Polar Bear says:

The most important piece is a winning attitude and better coaching. Look at the lineups of some of the teams still left in the playoffs. No better than ours

29. JayK-47 says:

With a healthy Markov, one less Swiss Mister, no Campoli, Gomez in Hamilton and Gionta potting 25+, the Habs are going to be way more competitive next year and give Bergevin and the Habs a solid position to deal from strength. FINALLY. Dammit.

30. LNev says:

And what exactly has M(?)B been up to today? Nothing but more silence and secrecy from the glorious heights a top the pile of money that is the Habs.

Same old story… PG/BG/GM/M(?)B/TT/AS brutal.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

He said absolutely nothing in that CBC interview.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

32. Habsolutely says:

So now the Hawks need an assistant GM. Wonder if they will put their money where their mouth is and hire McGuire? Because it really looks like his friends are willing to help him get another management job, as long as it’s not with their own teams.

• The Jackal says:

PM was probably passed over because Bergevin showed better communication skills and NHL experience, but that doesn’t mean they did not consider PM a competent and capable candidate. Some might say we dodged a bullet, I’m just glad we hired a good GM. PM may or may not get a shot one day, but he’s still a true hockey expert – what’s so hard to admit about that?

• Habsolutely says:

I’ll admit it when he gets a current management job and I see with my own eyes how he does. Why does everyone else in the hockey world have to be in some current management position before they are considered for a job, yet Pierre is so highly touted despite not being anywhere near a management job for over 15 years? What’s so hard to admit about that?

Like I said, the impression I get is he has some friends in high places who use their stature in the hockey world to give the guy references, yet they don’t seem to want him for their own teams? Like I said, the Bowmans should hire the guy if they are so adamant about how great he is, shouldn’t they?

• The Jackal says:

Why would they tout him if they did not feel he was capable? If they touted him as such and he proved to be a Gauthier, then they would lose credibility. I think the obstacle in hiring him is that there are candidates with equal qualifications but have experience in NHL jobs, which is an advantage that PM does not have. That still doesn’t mean that he isn’t capable, only that teams prefer people with experience since if it turned out that PM was not capable, that’s some lost seasons. In other words, it’s less of a risk with about equal payoff. Who knows if he will ever be a GM, the issue here is that he certainly is believed to be capable of being one.

• Habsolutely says:

No, the issue I talked about in my initial post that you replied to, is that the folks who tout him as a credible candidate don’t seem to think he is credible enough a candidate to hire for their own teams? Why do you keep ignoring the point of my post? You seem to want to veer off on some tangent that has nothing to do with the point of the post you replied to.

• habstrinifan says:

As someone who ‘supported’ the hire of Pierre McGuire and find all the anti-McGuire coments following the Bergevin decision ( a great one) to be unnecessary… I find this to be one of the BEST comment.

Since the Bowmans apparently talked so highly of PM… then they should put theirmoney where their mouth is and at least offer him the asst position or else Habsolutely, you have a great point.

33. The Dude says:

It’s a brand new day for the C.H. ,LET THE RE-BUILD begin with a Francophone flair! It is something special that two Franco’s lead everyone …from everywhere in this years play-off scoring!

34. Mavid says:

only 157 days to go to see how this all plays out..I am excited..he seems like a good guy…and I am still so delighted its not McGuire..

35. shiram says:

I’ll keep the smiles for when I can appreciate the product on the ice.

36. Hobie Hansen says: