More NHL talks Wednesday; Habs grow moustaches for Movember

stacheweb

The NHL and NHLPA had a seven-hour negotiating session Tuesday in New York that wrapped up at 10:15 p.m., but both sides declined to disclose the nature of the discussions.

“With meetings scheduled to resume Wednesday, the league will not characterize the substance or detail of the discussions until their conclusion,” deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement on Tuesday night.

The NHLPA also declined to comment.

The Canadian Press reported that the best-case scenario would seem to be a shortened schedule beginning on Dec. 1, although the season could start earlier than that if a deal is reached soon. It’s expected teams will hold seven-day training camps that begin once a new CBA is ratified.

Read more by clicking here.

You can read Stu Hackel’s column for SI.com on an “NHL lockout shrouded in fog” by clicking here.

Meanwhile, a number of Canadiens players are getting into the Movember spirit, taking pledges for the moustaches they’re growing this month to raise awareness of and funds for men’s health, particularly prostate cancer.

Colby Armstrong, Brandon Prust, Brian Gionta, Josh Gorges, Erik Cole, Travis Moen and Carey Price (and perhaps a few others) are taking part in the Movember campaign. And The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reports that fans of the participating Canadiens can show their support and kick a few dollars into the Movember kitty with $20 T-shirts, manufactured and marketed by Toronto-based Donnybrook Hockey, a fledgling sports apparel company.

Each shirt bears four caricature likenesses of a player, his mug decorated with a possible moustache style by graphic artist Ryan Howard, of Toronto Web design and development shop Howard Media Group. Twenty-per-cent of each shirt sold will be deposited by Donnybrook in that player’s Movember account, the sum then donated on behalf of that player to men’s health or the charity of his choice.

Read more by clicking here.

The Hamilton Bulldogs play host to the Syracuse Crunch Wednesday night in AHL action and then the two teams will meet again Friday night at the Bell Centre. Both games are 7:30 p.m. starts and will be televised by TVA Sports and will also be on TSN Radio 690.

The Canadiens reported on Twitter Wednesday afternoon that more than 14,000 tickets had already been sold for Friday’s Bulldogs game.

(Photo by Ryan Howard/Donnybrook Hockey)

1. Chris says:

I would be **VERY** hesitant to open Pandora’s Box when it comes to guaranteed contracts.

The NHL does have guaranteed contracts (like baseball, but unliked both the NFL and NBA, where only some contracts are guaranteed), but also has a hard salary cap (like the NFL, but unlike MLB or the NBA, which have no cap or a soft cap).

When you take away guaranteed contracts, the players expect a LOT more money up front. Salaries would go through the roof for star players, who would demand big signing bonuses and salaries in exchange for the loss of security. This would play absolute havoc with salary caps.

While it does suck to see players like Gomez underperform for large salaries, I don’t think the solution is to kill the guaranteed contract outright. There should be an onus on owners and GM’s to be more intelligent with their cash. Nothing forces a GM to sign the over-priced free agents…sometimes, even when your fan base is clamouring for action, the best thing a GM can do is take their phone off the hook and commit to going with the players they have and their younger prospects.

Los Angeles won the Stanley Cup without dipping too heavily into over-priced free agents. Simon Gagne was probably their biggest mistake, but he’s still got the potential to be a good player when healthy and his contract wasn’t too onerous (2 years, $3.5 M per season). Guys like Justin Williams and Willie Mitchell have given great value. The risks are Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, but both those guys should be good players for the duration of their contracts and the cap hits aren’t ludicrous.

2. Haborama says:

driinnk djraannk drruuunnk………

3. jols101 says:

@24 Cups, I think the reason why the Owners want to knock the entery level contract down to 2 years is related entirely to 5 year maximum contracts and UFA going up to 28 years of age or 8 years in the League.

All of these things work together to help keep salaries lower in the future. Under the current rules Players play out their 3 year entry level contract, sign a 4 year deal and boom they are UFAs and demanding huge money on the open market.

If what the owners propose is excepted it would mean after a players second contract they would all still be RFAs with much less bargaining power. Players would not be able to become UFAs until the end of their 3rd contract and that will save owners millions over the years.

Just my take on why Owners are asking for 2 year entry level contracts, I could be wrong….

• 24 Cups says:

I see your point but right now it’s the 2nd contract that is killing teams.

If I’m the owners, I would set similar wage guidelines to the 2nd contract just like the first entry level deal. Say two, distinct four year restrictions with predetermined higher levels in the second four year contract. That way I can budget for eight years instead of three.

• Chris says:

Yeah, but if you start monkeying around with limits on second contracts, the players are going to need a gigantic bone in return. That would necessitate leaving a LOT of money on the table.

Let’s be honest…the second contract is not the one killing teams. In most cases, the guys on big second contracts are still very productive. Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, etc….these are the best players in the game.

The guys that kill you are the UFA’s who get huge dough but see their level of play decline. I’m looking right at Scott Gomez.

I have no problem paying a 24 year old $7 million per season. But I also would have no problem walking away from paying most 33 years olds that same kind of money.

4. HabFab says:

Now this is funny!

ByKevinAllen – At an undisclosed location covering NHL negotiations going on at a different undisclosed location. Feel sorry for those in known locations.

Will the Habs draft Marco Rubio in 2016? I know one thing – he’s going to get “drafted” for sure:-)

6. Stormin says:

Guaranteed contracts should have some limits , imagine if you stopped producing any results at work,,Gotta love what a great CBA can do for so called player unions, can we really call these associations unions just does not seem right for the working class.. Anyways Jason Bay just had his last year of his contract terminated at full pay and got 2014 bought out by the New York Mets after hitting .165 with 8 homers and 20 RBI’s in 2012, He gets his 16 million owed to him for next year, 3 million buyout for 2014, and the remainder of his signing bonus 2 million for a grand total of 21 million to terminate his contract.. Gotta love these owners and these Unions talk about warped point of view of income as the poor working class stiff see it,, but the fans keep paying the bill.

• 24 Cups says:

Stormin – Let’s take a look at Scott Gomez. We’ll assume that there might be a one time buyout as part of the new CBA to help with the ‘Make Whole’ situation. The Habs would have to give Gomez $6.6M while picking up $14.6M in cap space (over two years).

Keeping in mind he was injured for part of the year, Gomez’s play last season was probably worth the league minimum (which is part of the dollar calculation). Which means the team only received two years of true value over the five years he was here (including two years of the future buyout). That means the Habs in a round about way paid Scott Gomez $14.75M a year for the two years he ‘really’ played in Montreal.

Time to change the face of the franchise.

7. Ron says:

LeBrun tweets meetings are underway. NHLPA had internal meetings today before meeting up with league.

8. habsfan0 says:

Moustaches should be mandatory apparel the year round.

I guess the question of the day is what will the players be willing to give up in order to win their deal breaker/maker “Make Whole provision”.

Once that’s decided, everything else can fall into place.

The season might even start by American Thanksgiving weekend. Even the Winter Classic could be saved.

In a perfect world, part of the make whole salary promise could include a one time buyout clause to help teams get under the cap.

See you later Gomez.

• Phil C says:

My guess is that they feel moving from 57% to 50% is what they are giving up. That is a BIG concession.

Anyway, I am getting tired of forming ill-informed opinions and making predictions about the lockout/ labour negotiations. I can’t wait to get back to forming ill-informed opinions and making predictions about hockey. ;-)

• 24 Cups says:

The 50/50 split is certainly a concession but it was already a given once the NFL/NBA settled for the same percentage. In that regard, it was never really a true negotiation item.

I think the players are going to have to give something else back. If I’m the owners, I would want the three loopholes from the last agreement closed off.

The one thing I don’t understand is the issue of entry level contracts. That one item alone is killing the league’s salary structure. I’m not sure how a two year entry level contract closes that loophole.

• Greg says:

Agreed about the entry level contract issue. I couldn’t figure that one out either. Most of the CBA is the owners trying to prevent themselves from doing things. Like lemmings off a cliff…

• nunacanadien says:

“Make whole” probably more likely means the richer hockey players who have investments in the NHL owner’s businesses, want to get compensation like Crosby. Crosby is probably owed a lot of money in marketing the Penguin’s products but really what do they give him? Likewise the habs are just as bad at promoting and using their lesser paid players as the Gomez types probably want big bucks for advertising the team for who they play for.

So it is a good sign that Crosby is attending the negotiations, as a player the calibre and salary weight of Crosby means that they are close to a deal. If only someone would break Markov’s agent’s legs or I mean knee…keep the marginilized players like Markov out of the negotiations, as Markov did it to himself, hurt himself just skating. Why should we as fans pay big bucks for the negligence of a player like Markov?

• ooder says:

do you always try and sound stupid.. i mean i started reading your post and was amazed that it was making sense and you had a good point… then i got to the markov part…. shame on me for getting my hopes up

——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Can’t wait for hockey to start soon!

Will be interesting to see once the negotiations are over how fast MB will have to sign PK before training camp starts.

Looking forward to Saturday night hockey soon….glad I never said “I’m done with the NHL”. As long as the NHL is around I’ll be there to watch….”boycotting” would only hurt myself.

• geo_habsgo says:

I feel like there is already worked out and the only thing missing is an official signature from P.K.

I know that it is technically illegal for management to speak to its players but I find it hard to believe that there isn’t at least some communication going on.

What is to stop Therrien from sending an email to Gorges from their personal email addresses lets say? How can anybody really enforce that?

Just me being a conspiracy theorist.

11. geo_habsgo says:

Anyone else going to see the Bulldogs at the Bell Centre this Friday, November 9? Where are your seats? I’ll be in the platinum section for once in my life!

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll be there!
      No idea where my seats are, a buddy picked them up.
      Wonder if the beer’ll be cheaper…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• geo_habsgo says:

Haha don’t bet on it. They gouge so much whenever they can at the Bell Centre. During the Mcgill Convocation last June at the Bell Centre they even opened up the concession stand lol. There were a couple of proud father’s with beers in their hands right after the ceremony :p

Once you find out your tickets let me know maybe we can grab an overpriced beer!

12. L Elle says:

I apologize in advance for not rhyming or metring. ;)

I was caught
    In the middle of two lawyer hacks – blunder
    I looked round
    I knew there were knives in our backs – blunder
    My mind raced
    And I thought what could I do – blunder
    All I knew
    There was no help, no help from you – blunder

Sound of the fans
    Beatin’ in my heart
    The blunder of Don’s
    Tore me apart
    I’ve been – blunderstruck

Went down the highway
    Straight to Bell Centre in town
    Went straight to the gate yeah gate
    we had planned some fun
    We met some fans
    Summiteers who tried to have a good time
    Gary Broke all the rules, played us like fools
    Yeah, yeah, they, they, they blew our minds

I was fumin’ at the fees
    When would hockey start again please?
    Yeah the lawyers were unkind
    You’ve been – blunderstruck blunderstruck
    Yeah yeah yeah, blunderstruck

Oh, blunderstruck yeah

I was fumin’ at the fees
    When would hockey start again please?

blunderstruck blunderstruck
    Yeah yeah yeah, blunderstruck
    blunderstruck yeah, yeah, yeah

Chorus

13. Mattyleg says:

Anybody know how Michel Therrien is spending his days recently?
    Skulking in the depths of the Bell Center making fantasy line-combos à la HI/O?
    Scouting Hamilton games?
    Slumming it in the Q?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. RobertAlanFord says:

Bulldogs and Crunch tonight! Thank you FirstRowSports app for PC. :))

@RAFord77

15. Cal says:

It’s November. Remember the fallen. Honor the dead. Lie prostrate before the hockey gods and pray for a season. And grow a ‘stache for men’s prostates. 3 of the 4 things I mentioned are truly important. (Hint: it ain’t the hockey gods bit)

16. commandant says:

A great series on the life of a scout. Too bad its the Sens.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

17. WindsorHab-10 says:

Hello everyone, long time no talk.
    Just want to know if anyone heard or knows anything about PK Subban’s contract with the Habs. Heard from a die-hard Bruins fan this morning that the Bruins are trying to unite the Subban brothers in Beantown. Have you guys heard anything? I hope not.

• commandant says:

Nothing can happen. Teams aren’t allowed to sign players, or even discuss trades with each other during the lockout.

Also the Bruins don’t have the cap space for PK’s new contract.

All of this is probably your friend pulling your leg and trying to rile you up.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• wjc says:

This just in, Subban IS going to BOSTON….but will be back in Montreal in time for season to start.

wjc

18. commandant says:

I loved the mustache thing last year. I love that its for a good cause. I’m glad they are doing it again this year.

But its just not the same when we don’t get to see them every 2-3 days :(

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

19. Luke says:

Pressure’s on. I don’t know what to do here…