The Canadiens are expressing interest in adding Larry Robinson to their coaching staff.
Bill Wippert, Getty Images
• UPDATE: Hockey Inside/Out has learned that the Canadiens are among four or five NHL teams currently expressing interest in adding Hall of Famer Larry Robinson to their coaching staffs. No more details than that for now.
• UPDATE: Andreas Engqvist signed Wednesday morning with Atlant Mytishi of the Kontinental Hockey League, several reliable sources and the team’s website announcing the news. So that’s one fewer RFA the Habs will have to worry about.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin extended qualifying offers Monday to 10 restricted free agents. On Tuesday, he signed his first of the group, gritty forward Ryan White agreeing to a one-year contract. Here’s White in conversation Monday afternoon with CJAD’s Abe Hefter.
Look for Bergevin to be busy as we move toward Sunday’s opening of UFA season. Further to that, I chatted Tuesday with Brad Staubitz, a waivers claim last February who proved of good use to the battered Habs late in the season. Staubitz told me he’d love to return; we’ll see if Bergevin feels the same way.
Habs development camp opens Wednesday for three days at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard, the first on-ice session (open to the public) at 4 pm. Details on the camp here. And the schedule of on-ice sessions:
• Thursday: 4 to 6 pm
• Friday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 6 pm
• Saturday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 5:30 pm.
• Hockey Hall of Fame welcomes its new crop. Was the superb Brendan Shanahan stiffed by being excluded? And why isn’t Pat Burns an honoured member yet? It’s obscene that he isn’t.