Robinson on Habs radar; Engqvist to KHL

Larry Robinson

The Canadiens are expressing interest in adding Larry Robinson to their coaching staff.
Bill Wippert, Getty Images

UPDATE: Hockey Inside/Out has learned that the Canadiens are among four or five NHL teams currently expressing interest in adding Hall of Famer Larry Robinson to their coaching staffs. No more details than that for now.

UPDATE: Andreas Engqvist signed Wednesday morning with Atlant Mytishi of the Kontinental Hockey League, several reliable sources and the team’s website announcing the news. So that’s one fewer RFA the Habs will have to worry about.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin extended qualifying offers Monday to 10 restricted free agents. On Tuesday, he signed his first of the group, gritty forward Ryan White agreeing to a one-year contract. Here’s White in conversation Monday afternoon with CJAD’s Abe Hefter.

Look for Bergevin to be busy as we move toward Sunday’s opening of UFA season. Further to that, I chatted Tuesday with Brad Staubitz, a waivers claim last February who proved of good use to the battered Habs late in the season. Staubitz told me he’d love to return; we’ll see if Bergevin feels the same way.

Habs development camp opens Wednesday for three days at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard, the first on-ice session (open to the public) at 4 pm. Details on the camp here. And the schedule of on-ice sessions:

• Thursday: 4 to 6 pm
• Friday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 6 pm
• Saturday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 5:30 pm.

Hockey Hall of Fame welcomes its new crop. Was the superb Brendan Shanahan stiffed by being excluded? And why isn’t Pat Burns an honoured member yet? It’s obscene that he isn’t.

1. Hali_Hab says:

Anyone care to take a guess if the changes to this team come via FA or by trade? Does anyone think that Doan would be a good addition ? or is he on the wrong side of 35. ha

2. HabFanSince72 says:

Spain – Portugal in extra time. Great game.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

3. frontenac1 says:

Ok, watching this soccer thing at the local cocktail lounge and its 0-0.Red fell down.and held their leg 4 times and White only fell down twice. I kinda think Red.will win.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t understand soccer. It’s fundamentally unwatchable.

When someone is rolling on the ground holding their legs and calling for their mama, why don’t they just treat it as they do in rugby? Play goes on around you until you suck it up, buttercup. If it’s kind of serious and you’re in the way, we’ll stretcher you off the field and you can recuperate there. So simple.

Add suspensions for embellishment based on in-game video review, and you’ve solved the problem of diving. It’s over.

• Chris says:

I absolutely love watching soccer, although I do confess that the histrionics after fouls are a blight.

But for the skill of the passing and the tactics of building up a play, it is a truly wonderful sport for me.

• JF says:

I only started watching a lot at the last World Cup, but I love it. I find the footwork and passing plays absolutely mesmerizing, especially by the Spanish and German teams. Both are so fluid, so silky.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The Simpsons have done a better job of satirizing soccer than I ever could.

We have options as to what we can watch and not watch in the modern world. Why anyone would waste time on basketball and soccer is beyond me.

• Chris says:

Maybe it is because I play far more soccer (up to 3 nights a week now) than hockey as I age, but I don’t need goals to appreciate a sport. I’m a pass-first player myself, so watching Spain play is just a treat. The passes that the Spanish complete are often simply amazing.

Let’s face it, every sport is pretty boring to somebody. For me, baseball and football are simply unbearable. Nothing happens for 90% of the game. Yet NFL football is the most popular sport in North America.

I love hockey because of the speed and the technical skill that the players can display. Soccer does not have the same speed, but the coordination and technical skill are tremendous, and the tactics that each team must employ to create and exploit vulnerabilities in the opposition is enough for me to ignore the lack of goals. I of course like to see goals, but I understand that that scoring in soccer (despite that net) is tremendously difficult. Outrunning your defender while carrying a ball, getting your shot off quick enough that it can not be blocked by a defender AND keeping that shot low is a monumental task, even for the professionals!

• HFX-HabFan says:

The dropping to the ground like they’ve been shot is a complete embarrassment to the spirit of competition. The amount of athleticism that is required for that sport is negated by such pansy behaviour.

4. commandant says:

@harrison ford’s star wars character ;)

Staubitz was not an RFA, we couldn’t qualify him if we wanted to.

• hansolo says:

Sorry, my bad. Thanks for clarifying that. RFA, UFA, UFO, Millennium Falcon — it’s all a little much for me when Chewie is bugging me about something and I can’t make out what he’s saying.

EDIT: btw, I also wanted to say how informative your articles were prior to the draft. That’s a lot of work. Thanks for doing that. We can hold our heads high when someone from LionsinWinter or EOTP comes to visit.

5. commandant says:

When H I/O inevitably gets upgraded, I hope they install an ignore user feature. I won’t mention anyone in particular, but just saying.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

6. aj says:

Great! There goes a good Dman who was probably available for the taking. I was hoping that the Habs would get Wideman (the guy signed a $5.25/5-yr deal with the Flames). So, w/c UFA Defenceman should the Habs get this July 1st?

7. bellcentre hotdog says:

Larry Robinson’s resume and long list of impressive credentials make this move a total no brainer.
    He has been a Stanley Cup winner as a player, assistant coach, and head coach. He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience.
    When considering the group of young Canadiens’ D prospects (Bealieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Nash, Thrower) and the current D (PK, Diaz, Emelin, St Denis) having Larry Robinson as a mentor would be invaluable.

8. frontenac1 says:

Flyers vs Habs in the 70″s , Habs vs.Nordiques in the 80″s. Best of times Amigos ,Nothing like it since. Hola!

9. wjc says:

Other sports/entertainment should follow hockey’s lead:

Baseball….pitcher brushes back a hitter up near the head, batter looks over at the dugout and out runs their tough guy, he goes after the pitcher, the other teams tough guy runs from third and the brawl is on.

Golf….the leader is 4 strokes up in the last round and the tough guy goes over and starts to intimidate him by getting in his face. The leaders tough guy comes out and they have at it. The leader is thrown off his game and loses his concentration and thus loses the round…..everyone cheers and they hand out suspensions all around but the loss stands.

Football…. the quarter back gets tackled and the tough guy goes after the offender the other teams tough guy is held back. Revenge is planned and the other quarter back is stomped to the cheering of the fans.

wjc

10. commandant says:

Matt Carles’s agent is salivating after seeing Wideman’s contract.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• HFX-HabFan says:

I’m not so sure. I think Carle could get longer term (6, 7 years?) given his age, but the cap hit will be similar if not a little less.

11. punkster says:

So, I’ve been up north at the cottage since the 20th. No interwebby, no phone, no radio. Anything interesting happen while I was away? How’s HH doing with the new squeeze? Have we traded Price and Subban yet?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• mrhabby says:

place is quiet….timo been lurking around.

• wjc says:

Just reports of Gomez’s comeback….Gionta and he are going to capture the magic they had in New Jersey. Other than that the same old blither/blather. Imaginary trades. imaginary signings, lots of players thrown in the trash bin, trades that happened in the 90′s rehashed. Guys getting life in prison while the lawyer is busy evaluating hockey players.

wjc

• hansolo says:

It’s now “squeezes” (plural). He still can be argumentative, hasn’t lost that. Wouldn’t want him to be anything but the HH we know and love.

We didn’t qualify Blunden. I had originally included Staubitz but as commandant pointed out, Staubitz couldn’t be qualified b/c he’s UFA, not RFA. Enqvist bolted to the KHL. So the size-and-grit arguments are in full sway. If not for Gally we risk being a team of smurfs again.

We haven’t traded PK or Price, yet. Big Bird might come along and save Subban. Price is going to have to carry the load himself but contract whispers of Rinne-like money should help.

I think that does it. Oh, and Feaster is an idiot on par with the Goat — he is inaptly named as other GMs are feasting on him.

• HabFab says:

Timmy Thomas??

• jedimyrmidon says:

If you’ve been away since the 20th, you could look into the 2012 NHL Draft. I think that was a weekend highlight.

12. HFX-HabFan says:

I agree with everyone that Calgary is a poorly-run team with no real identity. That said, I don’t think the contract/term for Wideman is that bad.

• Habitall says:

Hate to say it, but they should trade players like Iginla, Cammy and Tanguay and go for the full rebuild. One thing Calgary has is elite or near-elite assets. But they’re not going to be competing for a few years yet, and they could bag some great prospects and picks for Iggy et al.

• JF says:

Agree. Their prospect cupboard is pretty bare; by the time they build up a young core, their stars will be past their best (long past, in the case of Iginla and Kiprusoff). They should get what they can and go for a complete rebuild or they’ll end up getting little or nothing for their stars.

13. aemarchand11 says:

Cant wait to see Galchenyuk in a habs outfit this fall, preseason or not.

14. Bripro says:

I think I’m jumping the gun on tomorrow’s story in the Gazette. A nice profile by Stubbs on Patrice Brisebois.

• shiram says:

Thanx, was a nice read for someone that did not follow the Habs during Brisebois’s days.
      I wish they would post more of the Gazette’s article on here, like they used to.

• Bripro says:

I’m not sure the site can handle it. Would probably come across showing a feature of the National Enquirer….with all the alias lately.

• shiram says:

True, I had not thought of the technical bugs still affecting this place
          I have not had the pleasure of logging into another’s account, I’m feeling left out.

15. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

For those wondering about Latendresse’s availability (pro or con) the Minneapolis Star-Tribune beat writer suggests the Wild are offering a one year bonus laden contract.

• Malreg says:

I’m fairly certain performance bonuses can only be added onto entry-level contracts and over-35 contracts.

The only bonus Latendress could have is a signing bonus.

• VJ says:

Performance bonus contracts can also be given to players who spend X amount of time on IR…i forget how many days it is…I have 100 days in my head though….

• joeybarrie says:

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35.

• PG_doesnt_stand_for_Pierre_Gauthier says:

I’m wondering how you guys are feeling bout bringing Latendresse on board?

Sure, I was mad with him with the way he left and the return for him (who wasn’t)

I mean at the right price with Eller on the third line, we could have a good third line with size and could even be an option to swap with Bourque…

I know about him being lazy and all, but after what Therrien said at his PC, it’s all about work ethic, I’d be willing to give him a chance…

16. Good news, I was never impressed Engqvist’s performance. Assuming Bournival is also joining the Bulldogs this season, there was no space for him.

17. frontenac1 says:

Ya got that right Habinistran! Hola!

18. commandant says:

@trini

Good to Excellent speed?

I respectfully disagree with that.

Average at best IMO.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

19. commandant says:

What did Calgary trade for Wideman?

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• mrhabby says:

they obtained his rights in exchange for jordan henry and a 5th round pic.

• habsavvy says:

negotiating rights.
      but flames, specifically Feaster is an idiot.
      signing an average older dman like Wideman for 5 YEARS????
      they will regret that signing the same way they regret the Jay Bouwmeister signing.
      that’s wht the flames never improve.
      they must enjoy ending up in the cellar with their oiler neighbors.

• You’re right about the Jay-Bo signing, but Wideman isn’t that old – he’s only 29. He’s a really good dman – but everyone gets ridiculously overpaid at the FA market. That being said I still don’t see the Flames making the playoffs.

• Bripro says:

@commandant

WSH receives Jordan Henry and a 5th round pick in 2013. CGY also announces signing of Blake Comeau to a contract.

Does this mean that Calgary is looking to trade Bouwmeester?
      Their D is over $20MM. (I asked the question earlier – repost)

20. aemarchand11 says:

Who would you trade for Steve Ott??? Hes a Left Winger/Centre, agitator extradonaire.. If he is a centreman, he would be a third Liner, and Lars Eller would be too much to go the other way.. Just wondering, Dallas may want prospects like they received for Ribeiro though..

21. hansolo says:

About Enqvist: Thanks for your work here, and good luck in the KHL. Keep your seatbelt on and tray table in the upright and locked position ALWAYS.

About Big Bird: If he comes back, that would be great. As to the alleged rift between him and the old regime, if there was indeed one, life has taught me it takes two to tango.

About Sedin and BM (Marchand — BM, as a type of “movement”, is a much more suitable moniker for him): Well, what was Sedin to do? He thought the ref would call a penalty. Indeed, he even asked him if he was going to. Quite apart from his being a goal scorer, who shouldn’t have to resort to these shenanigans, if he HAD fought back, what would all of us, especially the cognoscenti, have said? More than likely, off-setting penalties would have been called. We would have criticized him for his lack of discipline, and for being suckered into going off with Marchand — a net gain for the Bruins. The officiating in that series was atrocious and biased towards the Bruins. Jack Todd may have complained this year’s play-offs were boring — so was that series. Goonery prevailed over exciting hockey. The only thing that even held one’s interest was seeing Luongo implode — and even that was unsustainable. That Sedin was perceived as a “soft” European didn’t win him any favors with the officials or the commentators. You just know that if he were Russian he would have been labelled a “floater” through the play-offs.

A Sedin actually got into it with LA this year in the opening round. It didn’t do the Canucks any good.

• Malreg says:

Couldn’t agree more with the Sedin-Marchand situation.

It’s a lose/lose situation for Sedin. If he doesn’t reply, he’s a soft european who doesn’t stick up for himself.

If he does reply, the Bruins are taking him off his game and he’s not disciplined.

• Habsrule1 says:

I’m just surprised he didn’t fight back instinctively. I guess you could call it discipline. I found it a little disturbing, is all.

Go Habs Go!!

• hansolo says:

It IS disturbing because I don’t think Sedin knew what the rules were — that’s how bad things had gotten. Mason Raymond was nearly broken in two with only a slap on the wrist for the Bruin, Aaron Rome took out Horton and got suspended for the rest of the play-offs. I don’t blame Sedin for being confused as to how to respond.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There was no slap of the wrist. No penalty was called for interference or boarding. None. Bruins were impervious to justice that series.

• hansolo says:

Thank you for clarifying that, I stand corrected yet again today. If JM were here, he would be on me to “do my research.”

• HardHabits says:

The takes two to tango excuse is lame. In a conflict one party can be completely wrong whereas the other party can be completely right. As far as Robinson and the old regime is concerned, the story goes as follows; Robinson called and was interested and nobody returned his calls. Sounds like it takes one poor dancer to ruin a dance routine, regardless of how good the other one dances.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think the subject he was referring to was the way Robinson left the Habs and the promise of his jersey retirement long before it finally happened.

Go Habs Go!!

• hansolo says:

HH, I thought you’d be a little less confrontational after the menage a quatre…but no worries, mate :-)

Well, the story has been quoted before that Robinson “demanded” that his number be retired. Beliveau was shocked. Le Gros Bill said having your number retired was an honor that could not be negotiated or demanded. It turns out later that promises might have been made, and Robinson may have had his father being near death in mind when he made this request (demand). I can see Bob Gainey being philosophically aligned with Beliveau on this matter, and therefore upset enough with Robinson not to have wanted to talk to him.

• HardHabits says:

It takes four to tango? LOL

I am just bitter that back in the day Gainey became captain and not Robinson. ;-)

I was also livid when Gainey got the MVP and not Lemaire back in 1978-79.

EDIT: After reading your reply and HR1′s I see now what you guys mean. I wont hold that against Larry due to the circumstances.

22. habstrinifan says:

Re Robinson.

So was I right or was I right?

23. habs-fan-84 says:

Robinson on Habs radar: Great news!

Engqvist to KHL: Even better news!

24. HFX-HabFan says:

Though the pundits seem to be bashing the Flames trade/contract for Wideman, I don’t think it’s that bad of a move. Calgary badly needed another offensive D who could play top minutes. $5.25mil isn’t totally unreasonable.

Mirtle is speculating what Jason Garrison will now be worth, but Garrison has had one good season, while Wideman has averaged 42 pts over the past 4 years.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think the thing that gets people is Calgary’s stubbornness to hit the rebuild button.

• HardHabits says:

It’s nice to see other teams stymie their progress and spin their wheels in the mud for a change. Let Calgary and Toronto suffer from Habsentia.

• mrhabby says:

$5.25 for wideman ..geesh great gig if you can get it.

• habs-fan-84 says:

IMO Calgary is the worst run team in Canada; yes, worse than the Leafs. Feaster is absolutely terrible.

With Toronto, I can vaguely see something being built, as is the case with Edmonton (obviously) and Montreal. Calgary – at least on the surface – looks like an awkward mish mash of players…thank god they took that contract of Cammy’s lol

25. Habsrule1 says:

Based on some of the lively and resepctful debate (for the most part) on here lately, I’m hoping to meet many of you at this year’s Summit. Hopefully, some of you who I find very interesting will be on the guest list :-)
    Oh, and hopefully I am too!

Go Habs Go!!

26. Habitall says:

Anyone know what ever happened to Blair Betts?

27. Kooch7800 says:

FLAMES SIGN F COMEAU TO A ONE-YEAR, $1.25M

• Habitall says:

The article is good news for Bournival supporters (of whom I am one), but it also illustrates that this game is becoming too scientific. All this talk of first step speed, top flight accelaration, hockey IQ … it’s all good and valid, but it makes for a game where the gap among players has narrowed so much that the overall game is more boring.

Wonder where a guy like Marcel Dionne would have been picked if he landed in the 2012 draft.

28. frontenac1 says:

Tom who?

29. ConcussionLikeSymptoms says:

TSN reporting Wideman just signed in Calgary 5 years $26.25M

30. Just took a look and saw Stubbs comment about Big Bird. I’ve been saying all along, that is a solid man we need behind the bench, but not sure if Therrien would let Larry be human or if their styles would clash. It would be an absolute God-send if he joined and considering the departure of Oates, it looks like NJ is going to be ravaged off-season by poaching, including Parise.

Do it Bergevin! Hire Larry Robinson and then I and most Habs fans will know we can wait a couple of years because the Cup will finally be on it’s way home!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• habstrinifan says:

All signs re the assistant coaching hires point to ‘let’s wait and see if Big Bird is interested” and then proceed. And everyone’s on board per directions of Marc Bergevin.

31. habsfanforever7631 says:

Would anyone Sine Dustin Penner?
    He’s 29 and probably looking for a big contract and someone will probably give it to him, but somehow if he wanted to come to Montreal would you sign him for 2/3 years?
    I don’t think he’s such a bad player.
    He could play on Plecs wing, and Plec will finally have a good winger.

• Kooch7800 says:

IMO I think there is better FA’s than Penner out there this year. I am not sure he would be the best fit as he isn’t a consistent scorer. I would prefer Bourque on Pleks wing than Penner

Just my opinion though

• habsfanforever7631 says:

I agree with you looking at his stats he’s really inconsistent, but if Bourque plays like he did at the end of the year with the Habs after he got traded, I think I’d rather Penner.

• Kooch7800 says:

Very true…time will tell I guess. I am really curious to see what MB does this off season. I don’t think he will be in a huge rush to shake up the roster. I think there will be minor tweaks this season…..who knows though

32. gmd says:

Calgary just got Wideman for $5.25 million a year for 5 years.

Just as a refresher here is Glenn Healey with the call on Carkner/Boyle

34. Dr.Rex says:

Wednesday random thoughts:
    - The 220 people who voted NO to the question above clearly have negative motives posting on this site or they have been MIA the last 2 months with respect to information available about the prospects.
    - BRad MArchand is a tool and a disgrace to hockey…..Even his own teammates cant stand him and Steve OTT would be a perfect solution for that fool.
    - IF we want to bring in a higher echelon dman via free agency or trade it is clear that Kaberle will have to be moved. IF MB is able to do this then he should have a street or restaurant named in his honour.
    - Big Bird is the answer for the defensive assistant coach vacancy.
    - Just when you think soccer cant get any more fake then the Portuguese play and make you sick to your stomach. Flopping like fish everywhere.
    - Parenteau, Prust, Tootoo and Doan all make sense for the habs.

35. Kooch7800 says:

There has been talk about Brian Boyle and karrlson in the playoffs last year and the beating he took from Carkner.
    I was impressed by the push back from Ottawa and I think the Rangers didn’t know what to think either.

they thought they were going to walk over them. That moment when Carkner sent a message to a much bigger Boyle let the Rangers know they couldn’t just push the team around without consequences and it really brought the sens back in that series. It was great to see.

That is exactly what the Canucks were lacking against the Bruins….push back. I am not saying that they should be goons and cheap shot and fight everyone like the Bruins cause we all know none of us are fans of them but you should be able to protect your best players when in the playoffs the Ref’s and the league don’t.

The NHL has shown with the last few cup winners that the big grittier teams are winning.

So perhaps the League managed Devils will trade Kovalchuk to the League owned Coyotes, then the League will institute a 1 time buyout of contracts with more than 10 years remaining at a cut rate of 35% of the deals total value, thus ensuring the rule only applies to the league owned Yotes and Kovalchuk. :)

• Rugger says:

I think it will come down to if there is anything out in UFA land that would be an improvement that would not cost much and not want more than a year as the real improvement is going to come from the Habs youth coming up. No need to tie up long term money at this point.

What happened to the post I was responding to?

• HabitualOffender says:

No need to tie up long term money, but if some good players who would help fill voids now are available for the right price and term, Bergevin should be actively pursuing them. I would love to see Parise, Nash, or Shane Doan… but realistically, PA Parenteau is a UFA who made 1.25M last year and had 67 points. Would help the Habs top 6 now for a reasonable price/term (3 years/6M?) Peter Mueller in Colorado was not qualified and could be had, but would be a gamble. Neither was D Ryan Parent in Vancouver. He could help the current D corps. These are all good young players with upside that would fit right in with this Habs group, and could be acquired for reasonable contracts.

37. Morenz7 says:

They’ve got Jodoin, Gallant, Groulx and Mario Leblanc (a video coach). Exactly where does Big Bird fit in?

38. Gerry H says:

Ok, I have to respond to this:

I believe what Carkner did was the most disgraceful thing I’ve seen in the NHL since Milan Lucic cross-checked Dominic Moore in a blindsiding fashion and wasn’t suspended.

I could not possibly disagree more. During the 2010/11 SCF, Brad Marchant casually skated up to Daniel Sedin and used his face for a punching bag during a break in play. Nothing came of it. No penalty, no team response. I believe the responsibility for that lays primarily with the referees, who need to consistently call stuff like that. It isn’t hockey. The Karlson incident was virtually indentical, as was the league response. None. That MacLean dealt with it as he did was a decision forced by the league’s inaction, and it got results.

I don’t like what Carkner did, but I understand it and find it FAR less disgraceful than either the conduct of Boyle (intimidation) or the league (indifference to same).

• TomNickle says:

Yeah it’s definitely worse to facewash a guy than it is to lay on one who’s back and head are resting against ice and punching him repeatedly when he can’t defend himself.

• D Mex says:

What Marchand did to Sedin was more than a facewash, quite frankly, it was disrespectful to the game itself. Back to you for the last word now …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree that what he did was disrespectful, but Sedin not fighting back AT ALL was almost as hard to digest.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chris says:

Boyle also didn’t fight back when he had a chance. He chose to turtle.

I think Carkner’s actions were reprehensible, but Sedin should is a goal-scorer that should not have to fight back simply because the NHL referees egregiously refuse to enforce the rule book. The referees of that game should have been turfed from the league…if you aren’t going to protect the players in this era of concussions by simply doing what your job requires, you shouldn’t have a job.

• Habsrule1 says:

I don’t know, Chris. I agree the referees should have stepped in, but I can’t even watch Sedin taking punch after punch without defending himself. Regardless of his toughness or elite status I cannot wrap my brain around anyone, in any walk of life, just letting themselves get punched in the face over and over again. As for Boyle, that was his decision, fine, but at least he prevented himself from getting punched in the face, as cowardly as it was. I think Marchand & Carkner should have both stopped punching, but I prefer what Boyle did than what Sedin did….slightly.

Go Habs Go!!

• pmaraw says:

he put himself in that position.

• Gerry H says:

Gee, why don’t you try minimizing Boyle’s actions (the aggressor) and then grossly distorting the consequences.

• TomNickle says:

Distorting?

Boyle punched Karlsson lightly with gloves on.

Carkner jumped Boyle. Laid on him and punched him in the face while he was laying on the ice.

Those are facts.

• ZepFan2 says:

Lightly? He knocks his helmet off with those multiple rabbit shots to the head. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised considering you think Marchand gave Sedin a “face wash”.

Those are facts.

———————————————————————-
            “Them summer days, those summer days” – Sly Stone

Hot fun in the Summertime

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tom, he chose not to defend himself, you’re wrong, suck it up.

• TomNickle says:

I didn’t say he didn’t. But that doesn’t change what Carkner did.

• pmaraw says:

yet if laroque had done that to lucic….

• Gerry H says:

Boyle started this thing. He chose to target a star player, on whom he had a huge size advantage, and roughed him up without provocation for the obvious purposes of intimidation. His “face wash” sent Karlson’s helmet flying off across the ice.

Faced with payback from someone his own size (and with more comparable “truculence”), Boyle turns turtle. He could have defended himself. He chose not to. He was no worse for wear after Carkner’s attack, which tells me clearly that Carker delivered more light than heat. I see nothing nothing disgraceful in that. Certainly nothing so disgraceful as Boyle’s combination of aggression and cowardice.

• Bill says:

Facewash?

You can find Boyle in the dictionary under “Live by the sword, die by the sword.”

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

Boyle is the idiot in this entire situation. He’s the clown who didn’t stand up for himself after asking for it and he should be embarrassed.

Boyle got what he deserved. Guaranteed every player on the Sens thanked Carkner after the game for straightening Boyle out and delivering the message the Sens are not going to put up with it and for giving everyone a bit more room out there.

It also totally changed the momentum in the series.

I bet Vancouver wished Carkner was there in the finals the year before.

• neumann103 says:

Players (and coaches) have a right to expect that blatant nonsense like repeated punches to the face after the whistle 10 feet in front of the officials will be penalized. You cannot have the situation where people have to argue that Karlsson or Sedin should have fought back. From the age of 7 up we try and teach kids not to get suckered into retaliation and take stupid penalties. Karlsson and Sedin are not cowards, they are professionals acting on the reasonable expectation that by showing discipline in the face of gooniness their team will receive an advantage (powerplay).

The officials and the league are at fault. That is what is discraceful.

What happened to Boyle was a bully getting jumped and turtling. I am not an advocate of fighting and I certainly think Carkner hitting from behind while Boyle is half crumpled on the ice is dangerous. I mean that sort of thing can easily turn into Bertuzzi/Moore II. And that would be bad for everyone.

So I can certainly lament the lack of judgement and respect Carkner showed when jumping Boyle but the things I am outraged over are the terrible exacerbating calls/non-calls of the on ice officials:
        In the previous game not penalizing Boyle for attacking Karlsson.
        In the next game for ejecting Dubinsky for what was definitiively not a third man into an altercation, but was a first man in to pull an attacker (Carkner) off a player who was not engaging (Boyle).

Otherwise the message the league is sending is that Karlsson – all 178 pounds of him – ought to respond to every goon in the league by taking co-incidental penalties and disadvantaging his team, and that Dubinsky ought to let a helpless teammate who is not fighting back take a beating instead of pulling the guy off him.

“Et le but!”

• D Mex says:

Sorry, but you’ve got it all wrong : What Marchand did to Sedin has been designated a ” facewash ” by the definitive poster on all things HI/O.

As the friendly giant used to say :
          ‘ look up, look waaaay up ‘. :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Habsrule1 says:

The Marchand incident simply told me that Sedin had no self-respect. How do you let a guy keep punching you like that? FFS, defend youself instead of standing there hoping for the referee to protect you! Even if I knew I would lose the fight, I’d have punched back or given the guy one heluva shove!
      What Carkner did was over the top. He could have sent a message without taking the cheap shots he did, IMO.

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

Boyle was never as good after that beating the rest of the playoffs.

growing up playing hockey i was always taught…remember that if you want to hit someone or fight that there will always be someone out there bigger and stronger than you

• Chris says:

Why in the heavens would Daniel Sedin, a Hart Trophy candidate who has never fought in his life, fight in the Stanley Cup Finals?

This is the type of thinking that is destroying the game. Sedin did nothing wrong in that case. Marchand is the idiot there, not Sedin, yet it is Sedin that somehow carries the cross because he wasn’t “brave” or (I would argue) stupid enough to fight back?

In every sport I’ve ever played, I’ve been taught to keep my temper in check and that violence is simply not tolerated. Call it the soccer mentality, but you simply aren’t allowed to act like a petulant 4 year old and hit people when you don’t like what is going on. Throw a punch in a basketball game or soccer game or even a football game and there is a near 100% chance you are going to have an early shower. But in hockey, it is allowed and then you get clowns like Marchand and Boyle trying to “intimidate” by basically popping guys in the head to get them off their game.

Sedin still somehow got a 10 minute misconduct out of that play for doing nothing but questioning the referee on why a player was repeatedly allowed to punch him in the face in full view of the referee. How’s that for NHL justice? Kelly Sutherland should never work another hockey game after that disgrace.

• Kooch7800 says:

Someone should have pounded Marshit for taking shots at their best player….

• Habsrule1 says:

Nobody said he had to fight, but come on Chris….just take punch after punch to the head…move, block the punch, push him away….anything really. That was just disturbing. Hell, if a guy double my size did that to me, I wouldn’t just stand there. Sure, I’d want to avoid a “fight” but I wouldn’t do that by just standing there getting punched.

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

It may seem weird, but I took it as being really clear that this was one sided. The expectation is that Marchand (or Boyle) is going to get a penalty and I can see Sedin (or Karlsson) wanting to avoid making it look in any way mutual and risk the BS “both are at fault” “let’s cool things down” call so beloved in some hockey circles as a reaction to one side instigating something.

“Et le but!”

39. wjc says:

The Gomez comeback will be interesting and fun to watch. Gomez and Gionta will recapture the magic of their New Jersey days.

They will need a big aggressive winger to balance them out, a net crasher. I would guess maybe a Bourque type player.

wjc

40. commandant says:

@tom

I agree immense is hyperbole, he’s not Malkin or Crosby. But if he ever stayed healthy I could see 60 pts a year out of him. That’s real good production today.

Concussions are the one injury that scare me though. After multiple, you are never the same.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• TomNickle says:

I think that’s his ceiling. But don’t really have a problem agreeing with that.

I would venture to say that 45 of those points would be helpers though.

• Chris says:

Patrice Bergeron suffered multiple concussions and looked like his career was perhaps in jeapordy. He has bounced back fine.

Some players can get a single concussion that ends their career, while others seem to be able to sustain multiple serious concussions and not show too much significant damage (at least on the short-term).

Concussions are definitely scary, at least partially because they affect the brain and also because there isn’t really any hard and fast rule about their symptoms, diagnosis or treatment. The truly terrifying thing is that a significant minority, if not a majority, of NHL players have almost certainly suffered concussions at some point in their lives.

A study led by Dr. Paul Echlin followed two unidentified Ontario Hockey Association teams (Tier 4, Junior C and Junior D) for what was supposed to be an entire season. They found that through about half the season, 17 of the players had suffered concussions and 4 of the players had suffered multiple concussions over the 52 games that were played by the two teams. The study was shut down by one of the teams when they realized the results were getting out of hand. The 17 players affected represented about 25% of the player base in just one half of one season.

When you factor in the sheer number of games that your average elite hockey talent is going to play as they develop, it is hard to imagine that there are too many of them who haven’t suffered a concussion at some point, many of which went undiagnosed and therefore potentially exposed the player to more serious damage as they played with a vulnerable brain injury.

A friend of mine played about 11 seasons in the CFL as linebacker. He retired after his 13th or 14th concussion. That was approx. 12 years ago. He now is suddenly having episodes where he feels like he is drunk and has hard time with balance and other issues. He is a very bright guy running some successful restaurants. He and I have talked about it and he is very afraid this is post concussion syndrome. Prior to this since retirement he had not had any of these feelings. Truly a scary thing concussions and how recently they are talked about almost like ankle or knee injuries.

41. Paulin98C says:

I will start by saying I visit HIO everyday at least once mostly from my mobile device. I hate the HIO app because you simply cannot tell what post replies to what. You cannot follow any conversation and it forces me to simply skim through it all and I miss alot of informative or entertaining posts.

A simple solution to the problem above would be to leave the initial post and show the number of replies to the said post. Replies could easily be seen by “hitting” the initial post to see its replies. This system would allow to reply to a post as well.

As far as the CH goes, I think management is going in the right direction by simplifying the duties of each members (ie Timmins as head scout and not both scouting and player development) and all the hirings. Hopefully this will help regain the class that this organization once had and attract UFAs.

I can’t wait to hear about how the prospects looked on ice this week.

____________________________________________________________

It seems that we are on the right track. Be patient fans, 25 will be coming soon!

42. commandant says:

Peter Mueller

Immense Talent

3 concussions in the last 3 years, one of which cost him an entire season.

I’d make an offer, but I absolutely would NOT give him more than a 1 year deal.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• TomNickle says:

Not to nitpick Ben but I think immense talent might be pushing it just a bit.

Good skater, excellent hands and passing. An average shot by NHL standards.

He is pretty good defensively though and doesn’t get much credit for it.

• jmsheehy19 says:

I’m firmly on the Mueller train, specially considering how weak the free agency is this year. Assuming we can’t land Parise (which seems likely) next year could look like…

Patches- DD- Coletrain
      Bjork- Plecky-Gio
      ? – Eller- Leblanc
      Moen- ? – White

In my mind we go after Mueller if he’s healthy, if not either Taylor Pyatt or go with Moen on the 3rd (unless Geoffrion makes some quick improvements), and either Dominic Moore, Mcclement, Betts (if healthy) or Gaustud to center the 4th.
      Either Darche or Staubitz as the 13th.

Then we acquire/ trade for a big stay at home D and aim for 6-8 spot.

I’d rather grit my teeth through another tough season and let the kids season in Hamilton.

• wjc says:

These seem like rather bland scouting reports, nothing new.

wjc

43. krob1000 says:

Would anyone roll the dice on Kristian Huselius? Missed the last two eyars practically…but normally a 60 point guy…a left winger and a guy whose style might actually mesh with Pleks?Depending on the cost…could be low risk high reward type of move….

• TomNickle says:

Yes at the right cost.

• Chris says:

He’s not a goal-scorer, so I’m not sure how much he would mesh with Plekanec. Huselius is a play-maker, as is Plekanec, and both guys need the puck on their stick to be effective.

I’d rather give one of the kids a chance than play a 34 year old that has played very little over the past two years. That being said, the team is so very thin at left wing.

44. boing007 says:

Peter Mueller. Only twenty-four. Center/Forward.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

45. Les Habitants says:

Maybe the Habs should hire a genetic engineer. If they could splice Darche and Staubitz into one hockey player then we’d have our tough rugged enforcer who’s defensively responsible and could chip in the scatter goal.

In all seriousness though, Darche was a great team guy but the Habs need to improve their fourth line. I wouldn’t mind signing Darche to a two-way deal though. It would give us added depth in case of injury and he would be a great captain in Hamilton for our young guys to learn from, if Darche was willing to take on that role that is.

46. commandant says:

Yeah I’m sure New Jerseys owner would love to trade kovalchuk as his salary actually goes up this year and will remain at a very high level for a long time.

However very few teams will take on that albatross of a 15 year deal.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

• TomNickle says:

The rumour spewing blogger who mentioned the idea actually stumbled onto a very good point.

If the NHL needs to sell the Devils. Moving Kovalchuk off of that team would certainly help.

Having said that I doubt the NHL is looking for an owner who isn’t comfortable with that kind of contract on the books in the first place.

47. rhino514 says:

More than a Dman, the team needs a good left winger. And there aren´t many attractive possibilities in the UFA market. So I think there will be a fairly big trade. At least I hope so.
    Sure, they can try and get a 6th defensive minded Dman, but anyone good is going to want or have term, which will impede the ascension of one or two of the d prospects who may make it in a year´s time.
    Consider also the following; the habs have quite a few “maybes” on the team; more than there have been in years. They only need a couple of the “maybes” to become “definitely” It´s actually quite an exciting year.
    I think this is a year they should let the maybes play, at the very minimum give them 40 games. The following are all guys who COULD break out.
    Eller (established, but could become a force)
    Emelin (half-decent and tough, but could become real good, especially with Marky)
    Palushaj (if they just let him play a full season with good linemates, I´d say a 50/50 chance he becomes a force; probably won´t happen in Mtl. I would start him over LL who could hone his skills in hamilton)
    Diaz (who could become a good puck moving Dman, on another team if he leaves the pressure boiler of Mtl)
    Louis Leblanc (probably won´t happen this year, but who knows, the kid has savvy)

Diaz, to my mind, is a victim of Kaberle, one of the worst moves in recent history. If we had a defensive Dman paired with him, the kid makes a great first pass, we could let him contribute offensively and develop. Having both him and Kaberle, or St Denis, or Webber (who also would have a better chance to develop elsewhere, though i am not quite as high on him as Diaz) is a disaster.

Still, if only two guys on this list take a big step forward, add that to Marky and Gionta healthy, a PP which will definitely be better, and Plekanec who will definitely have a better year with more settled linemates, and the team is a darn good team.

• nellis13 says:

-I agree with Eller and Emelin.
      -I don’t think we have room for Weber, Diaz, Kaberle and a fragile Markov. Markov and Kaberle probably aren’t tradeable so one or preferably both of our Swiss d-men should go.
      -I like the way LL plays. I’d say he’s a keeper for now.
      -Palushaj played 38 games last year and I don’t really think he showed any improvement. I think 50/50′s generous.

• wjc says:

Get rid of Markov, Weber, Diaz, Kaberle

Markov and Kabrele are worthless.

Keep Lablanc for now. Came up last year in an emergency basis, but the rookie didn’t impress you…..god help us!

Throw em in the trash, come on there must be more you can chuck out while you are at it.

wjc

• nellis13 says:

Markov could be worth the money for the next 2 years but it’s unlikely any other team would be willing to risk it given his knee. Kaberle isn’t worthless, just over paid which makes him hard to trade. Weber and Diaz are both decent d-men but have a limited physical game so that would make 4 “soft” d-men and in my view that’s too many.
          Again I like LL. I think he’ll find a spot on the team this year. I don’t think AP will.

Ahhh Mr. Mattyleg, I still remember the first time I purchased a ticket to watch you play. You had a full head of hair then which flowed like the wind ala Guy Lafleur! Your comments will always garner my undivided attention. Atta boy ;-).

49. Mattyleg says:

I’m not around a computer much today, so sorry that I haven’t been able to have a proper conversation with those who’ve responded to me.

I’d just like to point out how thrilled I am at having received a “You obviously never played hockey so you have no idea what you’re talking about, but I played a lot and therefore know what I’m talking about better than you” response. Haven’t had one of those in a while.

For everyone’s information, I’m an amazing hockey player who excels at every aspect of the game. I can play every position, and was part of 3 Stanley Cup-winning teams. I went on to coach successfully at all levels, and Scotty Bowman called me Mr. Mattyleg out of sheer respect.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• secretdragonfly says:

Oh but Matty, what have you done for us lately? :)

• TommyB says:

I heard you once shook your own hand, just to see what all the fuss was about. You are the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty, my friend.

• Bill says:

Your day isn’t complete until you’ve heard from some guy who was a 4th liner on some bad AAA team (and let’s face it, most of these so-called experts didn’t even make it THAT far) who wants to tell you what it’s like to have “played hockey”.

It’s Canada. EVERYONE has “played hockey”. Most of us played in leagues until we were 15 and weren’t good enough to go any further. Then we played rec hockey. So be it.

I don’t want want to hear anyone tell me about “the game of hockey” (as they always put it) unless they’ve played in the ECHL, AHL, NHL, or some other professional league. I would be glad to have the input of a “real” player, for sure, but these guys who overblow their Bantam “Glory Days” can suck it. With all due respect.

Near as I can tell, only Ed Lopaz on this site has worked professionally in hockey. If I am neglecting somebody else, please let me know, and I apologize.

Rave on, Mattyleg.

Full Breezer 4 Life

50. TomNickle says:

According to Gary Bettman some people think the game of hockey has never been better.

I think he should tell both of them that it needs improvement.

51. Bripro says:

Mathieu Darche is telling the twitterverse not to jump to conclusions. He’s optimistic that he’ll sign before the end of the week. And he’s told Renaud Lavoie the same thing.

I thought I read Recchi was eligible, my apologies. He will get in, but tried to hard to use my Dr. Segway. :)

53. TomNickle says:

Any word regarding Michel Lacroix?

I heard he was let go yesterday and that Michael Buffer was hired.

54. frontenac1 says:

I agree with you Hobie! Sign Staubitz! He’s tough,sticks up for his guys and has got good speed!

55. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

wow big bird behind the bench, that would be too good to be true!!! just what the doctor ordered!

@Chris, posting from phone. I concur with your free agent wish list. These are players the Habs can obtain, we are in no position to snag the big names currently. That 4th line would indeed be effective. Add 1 dman of substance and Montreal becomes a much more difficult opponent for the opposition.

57. commandant says:

Schultz is much more comparable to Blake Wheeler situation than a Fabian Brunnstrom, and Schultz has produced more in college than Wheeler did as well.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
    Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

Anybody willing to bet that one of the five teams interested in Larry Robinson isn’t the Dallas Stars?

So we have not heard a word from Serge Savard since the hiring of MB. I was concerned that his role would become that of which BG previously held, thus restricting the GM from being the GM. I also am happy about this since Serge and Larry have not exactly been best buds since retiring as players. MB has a challenge and an opportunity ahead of him, in trying to woo the Big Bird back into the fold. With P.K., Tinordi, Beaulieu and other youngsters in the pipeline he could be just what the Doctor ordered, speaking of which the good Dr. Recchi did not get the call to the Hall yesterday.

• twilighthours says:

Recchi will get in once they start inducting folks in the Sports Medicine category. Shouldn’t be long, now.

• Chris says:

Recchi was not eligible for the Hall yesterday. He only retired in 2010-11, so he won’t be eligible for the Hall of Fame until the summer of 2014.

He might not get in the first season (I suspect voters might consider him another Ciccarelli) but with three Stanley Cups and being ranked 12th in NHL history in points (and 29th in career playoff points), he almost certainly will get in eventually.

• habsfan0 says:

What was the cause of the rift between Serge and Larry?

• Chris says:

Savard allegedly assured Robinson in the mid 1980′s that the franchise would retire Robinson’s jersey. By the late 1980′s, Savard was not interested in keeping Robinson, but Robinson wasn’t quite ready to retire and ultimately spent a couple of years with the Kings.

During the negotiations, he claims to have brought up Savard’s gentlemen’s agreement to retire Robinson’s jersey, which was then leaked to the press and Robinson was absolutely pilloried. Even Jean Beliveau, who almost always stayed above the melee, criticized Robinson publicly, asserting that jersey retirement was a privilege and no player had the right to try to bring it up during contract negotiations.

That whole incident supposedly soured Robinson heavily on the Canadiens organization, and it has taken a lot of years for relations to thaw. Robinson always felt a little betrayed that his longtime friend and teammate Savard didn’t come out and publicly support Robinson over the issue, as he claims it was Savard that originally brought it up in the first place.

• habsfan0 says:

Thanks, Chris. Time, as they say, heals all wounds. Even Guy Lafleur felt betrayed by this organization, but has definitely come around.

Ultimately, I believe it’s the owner of the team that has the last call on whose sweater is given the honour.

• And it didn’t happen sooner because Larry supposedly wanted an appearance fee for his own retirement ceremony to cover expenses. When hearing petty stuff like this, who knows what to believe?

• Chris says:

Well, most of that was actually played out in the press back in 1989 and can be documented. The hard part is what actually was discussed by Savard and Robinson before that.

My inclination is to believe Robinson’s story. I don’t see him as a an attention-monger.

Todd Denault had a nice article on the whole debacle a while back. I really wish Todd were still posting here, but he is undoubtedly busy working on another book. :)

• boing007 says:

In a word, duplicity. Can’t trust ‘em.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Bripro says:

Savard was interviewed by RDS last week saying that he would not be offered a formal position, but would be keeping the title of consultant. What that means is anyone’s business.

60. frontenac1 says:

Yeah,saw it. I preferred Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Where The Buffalo Roam. Both are accounts of his coverage of the Superbowl when he was reporting for Rolling Stone Magazine. Check them out.Hilarious!

61. habsavvy says:

I read that NJ is considering resigning Parise and instead trading Kovalchuk.
    imagine habs getting a star player.
    his excitement would certainly attract fans.
    and they’re saying, due to a big loss of taxes, Molson could also give him an endorsement contract.
    he just the star type of player habs desperately need.

62. I was barrelling down a county backroad a few weeks ago and saw this. More than any free agent, this is the guy I want signed come July 1.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Cool. Where is this?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• South of Ottawa by about 30 kms, in a little bourrough called Marvelville, Ontario, not much bigger than the picture you see. Larry grew up on that road, where his father’s farm still sits. About 20 years ago, they renamed it after him. From what I’ve heard, he owns a summer home next door to where he grew up. Off the end of the property is the Nation River, which Larry skates miles on when he was a kid.

63. gmd says:

This Justin Schultz situation reminds me of the Fabian Brunnstrom circus back in 2008. Brunnstrom will be an UFA on July 1st.

• RGM says:

And likely will find himself back in Europe. This is what happens when teams have a YouTube scout and not a body in the seats to actually watch things beyond the highlights.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! Maybe 2012-13 will be our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Strummer says:

Jonas Gustavsson was in the same boat- highly (over) rated undrafted UFA who could pick any team and write his own ticket.

His rights were just traded from Leafs to the Jets for a 7th round draft pick

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

64. krob1000 says:

If the Habs did land Larry…..would it help attract bigtime players? he coached Parise and any dman in their right mind has to respect Larry Robinson…..not that I necessarily think the team goes that route…just wondering aloud

• joeybarrie says:

Its doubtful player put a lot of thought into the current coaches and assistant coaches. I think if a player has a problem for a particular coach, its an issue. But other than that, I think its mostly money and market.

• krob1000 says:

I definitely think coaching is important to any player….how important is the question. Richards relationship with Tortorella had that one all but cemented.

65. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, so I still see people debating the whole SENS VS NYR situation where Ottawa dressed Carkner in game two in order to teach Boyle and the Rangers that they won’t have the physical advantage in the series and won’t gain momentum in that manor.

That event totally changed the direction of the series and allowed Ottawa to have a swagger, thanks to Neil, Carkner and Konopka.

I thought it was great, as do most people except 2 or 3 people on this site. Also the two coaches in the series were nominated for coach of the year.

McLean of the Sens is the one who ordered Carkner to punish Boyle for slapping around their Norris Trophy winning defenseman. Boyle turtled and played innocent and it was really quite harmless after he took punches in the shoulder pads and the back of the helmet.

It totally fired up the Sens and the series went to 7 games when people believed it could have been a sweep.

I think I’ll go with a coach of the year candidate’s prerogative that it was an important move to make in the series rather than a HIO poster.

Not to mention every hockey analyst on the planet who thought it was the right move.

66. aj says:

If Robinson would become a part of the Canadiens coaching staff, that will be an upside for the Blueline. I would love to see that Therrien will be doing the Head Coaching (Obviously) and Gallant as the Offensive Assistant Coach while Robinson will get the Defensive Assistant Coach position. Clement Jodoin as the ‘eye in the sky’ tactician, I can see the team will be in good hands.

67. joeybarrie says:

With our Defense prospects and the fact we are the CANADIENS. I cant imagine if our offer is similar to others, Robinson would choose anyone over us. Unless he stayed in New Jersey.
    I hope I am right.
    Cmon Larry, you know its the right move. WE LOVE YOU, and I know you love us….

68. frontenac1 says:

Hey Commandant! Don’t forget what Hunter S Thompson said,”Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life a Crime in Progress,is not a pleasant prospect” Hola!

69. alfieturcotte says:

If we are lucky enough to get Robinson, we absolutely should get him.

As far as free agents are concerned – Canadiens should seriously consider Latendresse, Pouliot, AK46, and Gilbert Brule. Those 4 would be solid, affordable pick ups for 3rd or 4th line roles.

70. nellis13 says:

1) I love the Big Bird. Hope he signs with us. Did a great job in Jersey with below average defense. My only reservation is that I was hoping we’d move away form the “Put your opponent to sleep” style of hockey but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen.

2) I predict Ryan White will be the best value player on the team this year.

3) Staubitz is tough but it would be nice if they could get an upgrade in the skills department.

71. DorvalTony says:

Would Larry want to work with Therrien though?

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

72. Chris says:

Looking at the roster and then looking around the Eastern Conference, I’m really not convinced that the team should bother signing any free agents.

Bringing in guys like Shane Doan or Ray Whitney or Jaromir Jagr for a year or two aren’t really going to pay dividends for the Canadiens. If the Canadiens are going to get into the playoffs, it will be by tightening up their defensive game and working their tails off on every shift. The was the model that Phoenix used, and has also been used by offensively starved teams in recent memory like Nashville, Minnesota, New Jersey and Calgary.

I don’t realistically see another season where Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole combine for 94 goals. Teams will have a lot more background information on that line with which to prepare their defensive schemes to neutralize them. I would not be at all surprised to see them suffer a significant drop-off like the highly successful Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev line of 2007-08 (who went from 90 goals to a combined 69 goals after struggling to re-discover their chemistry and being broken up). Cole had a career year, but 25-30 goals is a historical norm for him. Pacioretty is a wild-card…he really broke out in the second half of 2010-11 (scoring 11 goals and 17 points in 20 games before having his season ended by Zdeno Chara) and continued through last season.

We’ve seen similar things before. Chris Higgins had a wonderful close to the 2005-06 season, posting 16 goals and 22 points in his final 26 games. Like Pacioretty, he had decent size, good speed and a great work ethic and seemed to have his head screwed on straight. His sophomore season was not quite as strong, but his 22 goals maintained hope that he could become a top-line left wing, faith that was rewarded by a fine 2007-08 season where he posted 27 goals and 52 points while working his tail off all over the ice and had him bandied about as future captain material.

We know what happened to Higgins. While I think that Pacioretty is more settled and less likely to get distracted off the ice, the pressure on the kid is huge. The Canadiens can’t score, and this often puts pressure on the few offensively gifted players to try to carry the team. I don’t think Paciroetty is that kind of player…he should be good for 30-40 goals once in a while, but I’m not sure that he is an elite sniper. I can easily see him settling into the 25-35 goal range, still very respectable but perhaps disappointing to fans who see every good season as the baseline on which to build, instead of as simply a nice season.

Pacioretty will be called upon to clean up his defensive game under Michel Therrien, and that could very well cost him some offence. On the other hand, it should also make him a more complete hockey player.

As for David Desharnais, I really don’t know what is going to happen with him. Every year, experts predict that he will find himself over his head and he just continues to find ways to do his job. That being said, what is Desharnais’ ceiling? Is he another Rich Peverley, a late bloomer that can give you 50-65 points if given top-line minutes on a bottom-feeding team but best used in a more complimentary role? Or is he another Martin St. Louis, a late bloomer that developed into an NHL superstar?

If I was called upon to hazard a guess, I would point to another diminutive center who had a wonderful hockey career: Steve Sullivan. People kept saying that Sullivan was a flash in the pan, but he produced pretty much everywhere he went. The catch was that he was never on a legitmate Stanley Cup contender, only getting past the first round of the playoffs twice in his career and missing the playoffs in 7 of his 14 seasons. Like Sullivan, I would worry a bit about the wear and tear on Desharnais’ body as he fights against much bigger and stronger players on the ice. But at 5’7″ and 177 pounds, Desharnais is closer in frame to Martin St. Louis (5’8″ and 176 pounds) than Sullivan (5’9″ and 155 pounds), and St. Louis has been a relative ironman in his career, missing only 7 games in the last 9 seasons. He’s also not a bad guy for Desharnais to try to emulate offensively, either. ;)

• TomNickle says:

What you’re likely to lose with Desharnais, Pacioretty and Cole will in turn likely be a void filled by Plekanec, Bourque and Gionta provided they’re a line come September.

In addition. If Markov stays healthy and can recapture a glimpse of his old self the offensive production will improve. He changes the game.

The Powerplay and Plekanec’s line will almost certainly contribute significantly more offensive production than it did last season.

I think if the team can subtract Diaz from the equation and add a very physical and very capable shut down defenseman that this team is in business for a playoff berth and could be dangerous in the playoffs.

• JF says:

Chris – As so often, I am stunned by your hockey knowledge and your ability to communicate it. A wonderful post.

I tend to agree with you about free agents; and I can’t realistically see any of the three you mention coming here. But we do need help on defence, and we need a fourth line centre.

• Chris says:

My free agent wish list (for what it is worth) has Jay McClement as the #1 target. He could be a fourth line centre that plays 10-12 minutes per night and handles the primary PK duty, relieving Tomas Plekanec of some of that energy-draining work.

#2 on the list would be Jordin Tootoo, provided the team is content with his personal situation. Tootoo can play…he is a good skater that can hit and agitate and he’s used to playing 11-13 minutes per night. Throw Ryan White on the left wing, and you’ve suddenly got a fourth line that can play with most lines in the league and can throw some hits.

In the top-9, I see the team as basically going with the Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole and Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta. I think they should play Leblanc-Eller 15 minutes per night on the third line and live with any mistakes those kids make.

If I was to take a flyer on a potential right-wing to round out that line, it might be Brad Boyes. He showed that he could score (albeit in the post-lockout scoring blitz where even Gomez could score) and he’s got decent hands. He’s still only 30 years old and should have some good hockey left in him. The concern is his contract (coming off a $4 million cap hit, he’s definitely taking a pay cut, but how much?), his attitude and his health. He has had a miserable run in Buffalo, with only 13 goals over the past 86 games and was hobbled by a knee injury for part of last season.

I’m not convinced that Gionta and Plekanec are good linemates, so perhaps you put Gionta on the third line to mentor Eller and Leblanc and give that line some more defensive responsibility, while Boyes (6’0″, 204 pounds) gives Plekanec a right winger that could potentially score. Is it likely? No. But it is an intriguing possibility to me, at least, and a player that I think is more available to a team like Montreal than the more often mentioned “name” free agents.

• twilighthours says:

This all sounds good. Does Leblanc have a history of playing the off-wing? Because you’ve got him on the left side. Unless you’re making Eller a LWer.

• Chris says:

Good point. I thought I had seen somewhere that he played left wing in junior a bit when his shoulder was hurt, but can’t find any info on that. It probably was right wing. I do see that he only played one game at left wing last season, with most of his duties being at right wing.

I think Eller has more potential as a centre than Leblanc, which is why I moved Leblanc to the wing. I also remember that many scouts felt that he would be most likely to become a winger in the NHL, although they probably meant right wing. On the flip side, Leblanc is a right-handed centre, something the team desperately needs. (McClement is a lefty as well).

• krob1000 says:

That is the reason I would sign any one of those guys….they have a ton of experience and they are incredible role models for diff’t reasons. Imagine what Eller, Patches and Galchenyuk learn from a Jagr re puck possession, imagine the work ethic of a DOan and the always in the right spot/right time and ageless wonder in Whtiney. If ar prefer that type of signing to a Parenteau type. The way it is shaping up …our fourth line may end up being kids given a shot…Darche, Blunden, Endqvist, Nokia…all out…that was the taxi squad…maybe instead a frouth line has a couple of prospects on it instead.

• neumann103 says:

Chris

Good post as always. Generally agree.

I can see the Habs adding a Free Agent or two -even overpaying – but only if it is a very limited term deal (eg 1 year) intended purely to plug hole for this season. It has been pretty obvious for a long time that the NHL ready prospect cupboard was going to be bare in 2012, but starting in 2013 there should be enough flow of the kids to start playing with the lineup you hope to be the core for the next 4 years or so. But bottom line is that the Habs can’t go through another season with no one on Plekanec’s wing.

Agree 100% on Pacioretty. While delighted with his season, particularly after the horrible injury, it shouldn’t be regarded as a baseline. He is a guy I see skirting around 30 goals a season. If he scores 27 next year and plays a stronger 2 way game it is not a failure.

Desharnais is the guy I really want to see improve his defensive game. The big deficiency on that line is the huge gulf between the defensive play of Cole and that of Patches/DD. I wish a little more of that mentorship would rub off. I think Desharnais has the potential to be better than Peverley (who i really like as a player). Maybe I am wrong but my subjective impression of Peverley’s career has been that he has streaks and inconsistency. Desharnais seems like a constant presence, and (again subjectively) maybe that is more like Sullivan. I think it is optimistic to compare Desharnais against Martin St. Louis. Maybe this is tough for me as Marty is among my favourite current NHLers but I guess the frame and physical robustness is fair, If anything Desharnais appears stouter and stronger than any of those guys (although i expect Marty is harder to force off the puck).

“Et le but!”

• Chris says:

Peverley was certainly more streaky than Desharnais, but he has also settled very nicely into being a great two-way second/third line player. Desharnais still has lots of room to develop, and the defensive side of the game has to be the primary focus.