Robinson on Habs radar; Engqvist to KHL

Larry Robinson

The Canadiens are expressing interest in adding Larry Robinson to their coaching staff.
Bill Wippert, Getty Images

UPDATE: Hockey Inside/Out has learned that the Canadiens are among four or five NHL teams currently expressing interest in adding Hall of Famer Larry Robinson to their coaching staffs. No more details than that for now.

UPDATE: Andreas Engqvist signed Wednesday morning with Atlant Mytishi of the Kontinental Hockey League, several reliable sources and the team’s website announcing the news. So that’s one fewer RFA the Habs will have to worry about.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin extended qualifying offers Monday to 10 restricted free agents. On Tuesday, he signed his first of the group, gritty forward Ryan White agreeing to a one-year contract. Here’s White in conversation Monday afternoon with CJAD’s Abe Hefter.

Look for Bergevin to be busy as we move toward Sunday’s opening of UFA season. Further to that, I chatted Tuesday with Brad Staubitz, a waivers claim last February who proved of good use to the battered Habs late in the season. Staubitz told me he’d love to return; we’ll see if Bergevin feels the same way.

Habs development camp opens Wednesday for three days at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard, the first on-ice session (open to the public) at 4 pm. Details on the camp here. And the schedule of on-ice sessions:

• Thursday: 4 to 6 pm
• Friday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 6 pm
• Saturday: 10:30 am to 12 noon; 4:30 to 5:30 pm.

Hockey Hall of Fame welcomes its new crop. Was the superb Brendan Shanahan stiffed by being excluded? And why isn’t Pat Burns an honoured member yet? It’s obscene that he isn’t.

1. Bradzerker says:

I wonder if MaxPac sent a ‘keep your head up’ email to Shanny :)

2. otisfxu says:

You can only have so many assistants and assistant’s assistants before the players have no clue who is running the ship.
    If you bring in Larry, then why did you bring in Gallant, Joidoin, Breezeby, etc etc.

This all sounds great, we’re moving ahead yada yada,,,the HAbs made it to the third round of the playoffs two years ago without all this “coaching”, development, front office crap.

Let’s face it, if Galchenyuk is not a factor this year, then it’s same old same old on the ice – where it counts. So we have a bilingual group, the French media being now able to do more interviews with more people, just means more twisted stories and quotes and nothing more.

And way too much print about our buddy Darche,,,,there is a reason he never made it to the NHL before,,,

The on ice product guys, the on ice product.

3. frontenac1 says:

Hey, this Tom lad is OK. He’s pretty smart and funny. Kinda reminds me of Don Rickles. Let “er rip Tom! Hola!

4. frontenac1 says:

Hey Chris , its ok man! Soccer aint my cup of tea but if it works for you ,go for it! We”re just having some fun Amigo.For me its Hockey,CFL,NFL ,Golf and Lacrosse. Hola!

5. Rozz says:

I know every one says its a long shot, but how amazing would it be to have big bird back with us? think of what he would do for our defensive youth coming up.. never mind the ones already in the show!!
    I already am very impressed with what MB has done already for this club in such a short time.. but if he can pull this off i will be amazed!

“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.”

Mark Twain.

6. If Larry Robinson wasn’t on the Hab’s radar I’d say it’s time to fix the radar!

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/a-win-that-slipped-away/index.html on this server.

7. frontenac1 says:

Back from the cocktail lounge, the red team nailed it!(Should have bet the bartender) Damn!

8. youngwun says:

I really hope we get larry robinson. Ill be loving it!

• commandant says:

Nice list, mine would probably be pretty similar, (but not exact… maybe flip Gallagher/Kristo and a few other cosmetic changes).

One question though, are you considering Leblanc and Palushaj as “no longer prospects”

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
      Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

9. Un Canadien errant says:

In the interest of keeping our HIO family together and on speaking terms, let’s all refer to this flowchart for arguing on the internet, which is linked below. It’s been posted here a couple of times before I think, but I guess it’s time for everyone to take a refresher.

Also, to keep the discussion from bogging down, let’s all ignore the obvious Scott Gomez troll. We don’t need to rise to his obvious bait, and keep circling the same drain.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 2627: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

10. frontenac1 says:

Saw it coming with Darche. He’s a good standup and intelligent lad.Saw him doing colour on RDS for the Stanley Cup and he was pretty good. He will be fine. Good Luck Matt!

11. mksness says:

I was thinking about the carey price situation regarding his up coming contract. I wonder how much of him wanting to sign a long term contract will depend on the game plan/system that MT wants to implement. I know that if i were in nets i would want a system that focuses on defence. Just take a look at what solid D can do, pheonix anyone? thoughts?

• TomNickle says:

I think it comes down to how happy his girlfriend is in Montreal to be honest. He’s a young guy and they’re easily persuaded by their spouses at that age.

She’s American. Hopefully she digs European culture.

• That is true.. *hides myself* haha

• solomio says:

What? Price is going to Europe to play?

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

Yeah. New league.

He’s been offered a ten year $200,000,000 contract.

• solomio says:

What exchange rate did you use on the Euro?

• habs_54321 says:

price is married? i didn’t even know that, i don’t understand why every hockey player gets married at such young age they are always on the road and have plenty of money you’d think they would enjoy being a single athlete and worry about getting married later on closer to their 30′s it seems like every hockey player over 18 is married

12. Top 25 UFA’s of 2012 – released from the Canadiens website

13. Newf_Habster says:

Darche is sorely missed. :( I always like the way he plays and I think he will end up somewhere like Tampa Bay in NHL this fall.

• Les Habitants says:

Good call, I can definitely see him ending up in Tampa Bay, they love anyone who played/coached/sold hot dogs for the Habs.

• solomio says:

Surely you jest? Darche was on a line with Useless and Pitiful and both were better.

14. Les Habitants says:

I think the Habs should offer Darche an AHL contract if he has no takers on the free agent market.

We need some veteran presence in Hamilton to help with all youth coming in next year. We can’t have a team full of rookies with no pro hockey experience, and IMO Darche has all the tools to be a great captain for the Bulldogs. It couldn’t hurt if some of his work ethic and heart rubbed off on some of our prospects.

• TomNickle says:

They offered him a two way contract. He turned it down.

• Les Habitants says:

He must feel he can find a job on somebody’s fourth line. I wish him all the best and good luck.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah me too. And I think he will. I think that he, like some of our other veterans hold significant value to a contending team.

He’ll break his back to beat out an icing, go to the net when others won’t.

Excellent heart and soul player. Hope he makes a pile of money somewhere.

15. TomNickle says:

Bergevin deciding against bringing Darche back isn’t a stroke of genius, it’s a stroke of common sense.

• habstrinifan says:

I did not say it was a stroke of genius. Even based on the reaction to the news here on HIO you can tell that he had to take a decision where superior abiliy had to trump nice guy industry…. and the french factor.

Just my point. But I do see whereof some speak re your arrogance.

• TomNickle says:

I wasn’t referring to you.

Take a breath.

• mksness says:

Bergvevin, like all GM’s wants to win. the french factor is something important in the media but it will wear off very quickly if you start pilling up the L’s. Darche, well he’s not the answer. His work ethic is something to be admired though. Gotta love a guy who plays hard every night. However the reality is, just about anyone in hamilton can fill that role. if you can’t replace a guy like darche either from within your organization or outside, oh boy….

Great Post.

Welcome if you aren’t a previously banned member!

• mksness says:

i had another account before but after not being able to properly edit information in it, i decided to drop it. that being said, i haven’t been posting in a while. i have however been readin the fun discussions

• TomNickle says:

What’s that? What were you saying Habstrinifan?

You call me arrogant after misinterpreting my post or jumping to a conclusion and have nothing to say when I explain that nothing of what I said in that post was directed at you?

Screw it. I’m done being nice.

You’ve just tipped me over the edge. The next few weeks are gonna be fun.

People think I’ve been terse or arrogant? They haven’t seen anything.

• HardHabits says:

Promises. Promises.

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

However this round methinks I am going to play on the arrogant and terse team.

• solomio says:

Jeebus get over yourself Nickle !!

• Rozz says:

Its quite hard to get over your self .. i mean physics just don’t allow it! believe me I’ve tried! So now I just stay right where myself is.. much easier

Mark Twain.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I wanted to dump him last year and keep Tom Pyatt instead.

• Un Canadien errant says:

To me, it means quite a lot in terms of what strategy he’ll pursue.

I thought re-signing him and Travis Moen allowed the team to plug the holes on left wing at a really cheap cost. These guys would work like hell and be nothing but positive contributors to the club until the AHL forwards were ready. If we re-signed them, we were investing in the future. Think of it as saving your bucks by holding on to your increasingly beaten-down truck another year or to, so as to be able to afford a better one in another couple of years, as opposed to buying one now and committing to a less-than-stellar model for the medium term.

If we don’t re-sign Mathieu, it indicates to me that the brain trust believes it can add a couple of free agents at a reasonable cost on July 1, and/or that they envision a greater role for the AHL group than we thought. Guys like Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Louis Leblanc may play a bigger role on the team than we would have predicted, some of them will be with the Grand Club.

———————————————————————–
      June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
      June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
      June 24: Travis Moen
      June 2627: Mathieu Darche
      June 26: Ryan White
      July 1: P.A. Parenteau
      July 3: Shane O’Brien
      July 5: Carey Price
      July 9: P.K. Subban

• TomNickle says:

Exactly. Better to either upgrade or develop than stand pat.

I didn’t realize that was so bloody complicated.

• solomio says:

….Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Louis Leblanc …. well lets hope its not that much of a big role…otherwise Habs are in deep do do

• solomio says:

Bingo !!

16. HabFab says:

Notice that the NHLPA just released it’s negotiating committee list of 31 players. Gomez didn’t make the cut but two soon to be ex-Habs did… Darche and Campoli. Was half hoping Gomez would, strictly for the irony of it “sigh”

17. Un Canadien errant says:

I know the Gazette seems to be experiencing some turmoil right now, so they may not be inclined to invest a lot of resources into this site, although if they are following the digital/multimedia direction all other newspapers seem to be embracing maybe it’s in their best interest.

Since there have been a few comments about the functionality of the site, and how appealing it is to users, here are some feedback and a few suggestions I sent to Mike Boone a few months back. I post these to generate discussion, not to slag HIO, which is free for me to use and provides me with lots of insights and entertainment.

***********

1) General ‘speed’ of the site, It’s kind of slow to reload, refresh, or post comments. It can be annoying or discouraging on some days, may convince some posters to go spend their time elsewhere. Also, I often get error messages telling me a certain page is unavailable, or I don’t have authorization. I’m sure your technical team is aware of this.

2) History: I’d like to be able to view mine and other posters contributions much further back than their last five posts. Ideally, all my posts should be archived and easily searchable.

3) Alert: A history function would allow me to see every contribution some specific posters make, so that I don’t miss any. Failing that, maybe I can ‘flag’ or ‘star’ one or more posters, and I get an alert somehow when they post. It would simplify things when I try to see what John Bellyfull came up with lately.

4) Blackball: Ability to somehow block or skip over some posters who are rude or abusive or inane. I do try to ignore some, most have an avatar that acts as a hazardous materials placard which warns me to stay away, but sometime you read something completely ridiculous before you realize you should have skipped over it.

5) Dramatis Personae: Maybe have an archive of the background stories you have run on other posters for easy reference. I’m the new kid here, and would like to know more about who these characters are, guys like Ed Lopaz, Tom Nickle, HabinBurlington, HabitantinSurrey, etc… It would be good to have a folder or link somewhere to these characters’ histories.

6) Research links: Again on the front page, a section with links to the Canadiens CapGeek page, to HockeyDB, HockeyReference.com, the NHL rulebook, etc. It might cut down on the posters who say: “I think Gionta has 6 years left on his contract, and we should trade him, …”, or “Was Yannick Weber a first-round draft pick, because he sucks…” Maybe these people might do their own research and stop going off on rants founded on lack of knowledge, or we could at least point them in the right direction.

7) Time Capsules: This one might be fun. Whenever a pivotal moment approaches, or has just happened, we launch a new thread, which will act as a time capsule. Each poster is allowed one contribution and isn’t allowed to see others’ contributions. Eventually the capsule is closed, and contents are locked against access. The time capsule is opened a suitable time later, and we see what everyone thought at the time, and people have to stand behind what they said, or eat crow.

For example, this summer, I think we have two or three obvious time capsule opportunities. Just before the season ends, everyone gets a chance to weigh in on whether Mr. Gauthier or Mr. Cunneyworth should keep their jobs or who should be hired to replace them. This capsule could be opened a year later.

Another opportunity would be when the new hires are announced (tipping my hand here), everyone pontificates on what a great hire it is, or what a catastrophe it is. Two or three years later, we open this one, and again the public shamings begin.

An obvious one would be who should the Canadiens draft, and we would give this one a long time in the ground, maybe four or five years, and rejoice in how we all thought we should pick Mr. X and we sure did pick him and he’s now our All-Star, or commiserate on the gigantic bust we have on our hands, and point fingers at the ‘experts’ who fully supported this pick.

July 1 and the free agency bonanza provides another obvious opportunity. I would love to be able to taunt mercilessly those who last summer demeaned Alexei Emelin as a mere European who would be lost on an NHL rink, or who thought that Erik Cole was too old and that his contract was a boondoggle.

This may be a pipe dream, but this feature might also moderate some posters, and give them a reason to pause before flaming a player or besmirching a coach.

———————————————————————–
    June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
    June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
    June 24: Travis Moen
    June 26: Mathieu Darche
    June 26: Ryan White
    July 1: P.A. Parenteau
    July 3: Shane O’Brien
    July 5: Carey Price
    July 9: P.K. Subban

• habstrinifan says:

How about replacing Shane O’Brien on your wish list with Sheldon Brookbank. I think would be a good alternative.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My semi-wishlist/shopping list/predictions stands as a testament to my cognitive powers and player movement hunches. I don’t want to go back after the fact and edit. I will add names in italics, just to keep track.

BTW, not having Ryan White on my list doesn’t mean I don’t approve of his new contract. I just tried to imagine what a good to great summer of player moves might look like.

———————————————————————–
        June 22: Alex Galchenyuk [x]
        June 23: Stefan Matteau, Mike Matheson, Martin Frk, Brandon Whitney
        June 24: Travis Moen
        June 27: Mathieu Darche
        June 26: Ryan White
        July 1: P.A. Parenteau
        July 3: Shane O’Brien
        July 5: Carey Price
        July 9: P.K. Subban

• TomNickle says:

Ryan White is on your list.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I should have been clearer. I didn’t have him on originally, and added him after the announcement, though in italics.

• TomNickle says:

Oh sure. Take on the simplest of tasks and make me a fool why don’t ya.

• habstrinifan says:

I never said anything about Ryan White. I was kinda complimeting you re your list and empathising that since you (we cause I like the list) couldnt get Obrien we may want to wish for Brookbank or similar.

Think something’s in the water around here.

• TomNickle says:

I think you’re right. Sensitivity.

Take a step back pal. You’re reacting pretty drastically to innocuous comments.

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, I didn’t imply you did. I was replying to your comments on my list, was just trying to provide background, and explaining how Ryan White got added on in italics. No offence was taken bud, you and I are HIO BFF’s. And the water in Whistler is crystalline and deliciously cold, right out of the tap.

Tom, not sure if you’re talking to me or trini, but in my experience two surefire words to inflame a conversation rather than defuse it are ‘relax’ and ‘pal’. If you’re replying to me, there was no sensitivity on my part, I enjoy bantering with you and the other regulars on here. I’m learning a tonne by being here, will appreciate when someone corrects my errors.

• TomNickle says:

Wasn’t for you Normand. We’re besties.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s all be besties. Except for the Scott Gomez kid, let’s not fall for his trolling.

• solomio says:

UCE…You’re either unemployed or retired ( not that there’s anything wrong with that ) Which is it?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Gainfully employed, I currently hold two jobs, three in winter, although two are more hobbies than anything. I do have to spend more time in the office summers, where I have to be available but not necessarily very busy, so I spend probably far too much time on HIO.

18. Habs1996 says:

Darche is a great guy
    Idk if he would of mind to play in the AHL with the kids
    Hes such a hard worker wich would be a great exemple to the prospects.
    why not sign him? Its not like hes going to ask 7million or something…

19. Mavid says:

there is going to be a lot of sad and probably hung over Portuguese at work tomorrow…i never watch soccer but they take it very seriously..none of them were in today..it was like a national holiday…

hmmm Big Bird would be wonderful…a local guy from Winchester…just up the road…

• habstrinifan says:

I sa wthe game. Dont want to be contradictory but I have to disagree with the poster who thought it was a great game. Too much feigning and diving. Was shameless. Even in teh overtime Rinaldo pulled off one of the worst.

Speaking re Rinaldo. I dont know what he was doing being last on the penalty kicks. Seems he played this entire game very nervously. Almost all touche she had he was stripped of the ball. Weird.

He should have been earlier in the PK order.

Germnay will win… unless they themselves play like Spain/Portugal today.

• commandant says:

Coaching was stupid… almost as bad as Marc Crawford in 1998.

Your best player needs to be among the first 3 shooters, that way he is guaranteed to shoot.

Never lose with your best on the bench.

As for the diving… both teams did it, as did 16 teams in this tournament… only FIFA can clean this up.

Forza Azzuri tomorrow.

NHL Free Agency and Trade Analysis now.
        Team By Team Prospect Reports coming soon

20. Mathieu Darche just tweeted that he will not be returning to Montreal next season. He’s disappointed, but understands it’s a business.
    Classy guy, but there was no space for him.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Feel bad for him. Sure, it’s a business, but you just knew he wanted to be on the team and always gave it his all, which is much more than can be said for many players last season.

Hope he gets hired as a coach or something for the Habs somewhere down the road.

• Renaud Lavoie just tweeted that talks were very brief. Sounds as though Bergevin called him in order to tell him personally, a better way of doing things that PG letting guys twist in the wind. Too bad for Darche – he gave the Habs all he had nightly.

• habstrinifan says:

OH OH. Bergevin is in for it now from L’Antichmbre crew. I think this shows that Bergevin and the people he brought in wont settle for ‘good enough’. Which is why you saw no offer to Nok…nen.

Really?

Looking at the list of qualified restricted free agents that’s exactly what he’s shown so far.

I like Darche but letting him go was probably the easiest decision he’s had to make as a GM.

He has veteran leadership and more players than roster spots to fill at the NHL level.

• habstrinifan says:

Are you trying to be sarcastic.

Really?

• TomNickle says:

No I’m not. Darche is a borderline NHL player. Emelin, Subban, Eller and Price, of the ten restricted free agents Bergevin had to deal with are the only ones who will be NHL players for the next decade.

If Bergevin’s shooting for the stars why was Brendon Nash kept? Andreas Engqvist?

21. what-ever says:

If Doan would take a 2-year deal for what he’s getting right now. I would sign him to play along side pleks R/W put Gionta on the 3rd line with Eller that would pretty much cover our center and Right side. so all we would have to look for is a L/W for the 2nd or 3rd line depending where they’re gonna play Bourque that would complete our left wing. a little tweek on “D” and we’re ready to roll….. if we can’t get rid of Gomez maybe he becomes a L/W for the 3rd line. what do you think?

22. Caper says:

Thought

Boumeester contract has two years left as does Gomez. Gomez cap hit of $7.3 m while Boumeester 6.68 million per year.

We trade Gomez , one of our 2nd picks for next year and a player off our roster or a prospect. Weber/ Gallagher?

Boumeester is still very useful and eats minutes however I just can’t see Calgary keeping him. Mind you my thought is a pipe dream however as i noted, just a thought.

• wjc says:

I thought the cap hit was 5.3 and then 4.3

wjc

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Never, I don’t want to waste a promising prospect like Gallagher, just to dump Gomez, he could go play in the AHL for all I care.

• mksness says:

I believe boumeester has a no trade clause. Despite that though, he’s still a very useful player. Gomez, not so much. Weber and Gallagher are both under sized players as well. I actually like weber but i’m not convinced with gallagher just yet.

I think you’ll have a hard time finding a senior team in alaska wanting gomez…

• Rozz says:

While I understand your line of thought here, I feel that Gomez has already cost us enough in good prospects amongst other things. so I definitely am against that sort of deal… maybe a send a low pick (like 6th or 7th) with him but that’s about it. To be honest I’d rather he just be sent to Hamilton… who knows, it might be the confidence booster he needs to get going again.. just like the young prospects need before making the jump to the big league. then if it appears he’s got his swagger back, trade him while people have some hope in him again.. keep in mind this is not likely but hey you never know lol

Mark Twain.

23. Rugger says:

I do not understand the envy over Wideman – we already have the older version of him:

Wideman 535 games, 251 pts -39
    Kaberle 974 games, 560 pts +13

And Kaberle played most of his games for a horrible leafs team. All I remember from Wideman on the Bruins was how easily everyone on the Habs beat him like he wasn’t there.

24. aj says:

@ Harditya_CareyPrice:

“Please no ridiculous signings until Habs set Kaberle and/or Gomez loose.”

You might want to include Bourque there too if that’s possible. To me, regardless whether they get a UFA signing today or next week, it doesn’t matter when. They will set Kaberle and Gomez go. But, will it be a ‘buyout’ or them ‘being sent to the minors’. Maybe Europe bound?

• wjc says:

Have you not heard it is being predicted that Gomez is going be comeback player of the year. Kabrele’s experience will be invaluable as well.

Buy out is unlikely, remember it is not your money. Europe, the minors, people please get a grip.

Cheer for Gomez, the Canadiens need him to make a full comeback.

Only Leaf fans are hoping Gomez fails. Are you a Leaf/Bruin fan for crying out loud.

wjc

• pottymonster says:

I’m pretty sure you’re the only person predicting Gomez will have a big comeback this year. Others predicted it last year, you predict this year, others will predict next year. He’s done. Nothing left to give. The game passed him by.

• Rozz says:

Hey its my buddy, back again to advocate for Gomez! that’a boy.. stick to your guns! as crazy and unfounded as they may be, i admire your resilience.

but i do have to disagree with your call that only leaf fans cheer against Gomez, as they would clearly cheer for him to still be with the habs come this October.. hey wait a sec.. your cheering for him.. just sayin.. :D

Mark Twain.

25. HabFanSince72 says:

The antichambre yahoos complained about hiring an Anglophone assistant GM.

They will go ballistic if we sign Doan.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• aj says:

Those douchebags complain a lot. Especially that racist Bertrand Raymond.

• Hali_Hab says:

Hahaha… yeah but they go ballistic about everything and anything..

I compare the antichambre to a bizzaro world version of The View.
      The show has far to much of an agenda. It’s old and played out.

• Hali_Hab says:

P.S. Don’t get me wrong i understand how important it is to have a very french influence associated with the Habs. That being said, there are limits. Expectations of the media have to be reasonable. Especially at this day in age. I think MB has done a great job adding more of a french flavor to the team (in the front office). The funny thing is with the antichambre you could have 99.0 % of the hockey club french and they would still complain about the 1% anglo portion.
      It’s foolish.

• wjc says:

Just a T.V. show, they have no say/power. Give them sound bites in french and bilingual coach and g.m. and they are good to go. French players would be nice, but if they are not good enough/available what are you going to do.

wjc

• habsfan0 says:

That will certainly make for some “must see tv”.

26. what-ever says:

Ott would be a good center for the 4th line – But I think Mr. Gomez has him beat out

27. Kooch7800 says:

FA is my guess. Doan is a good hockey player and leader but he plays RW. I would sign him in a heartbeat cause he is a beast and stands out in clutch games. All heart.

Would need to probably move Gionta if you brought in Doan.

I am not sure he would play in a hot bed like Montreal

• Hali_Hab says:

I didn’t account for the RW factor. I Was just wondering who the habs could add via FA that could be a top six impact forward. Doan was the first that came to mind. It seems the FA pool is more suited to help add some depth/grit in our bottom six more so than our top six. Taking the thin crop of suitable FA’S this year and our newly minted GM i have a feeling there will be a trade in the near future. A trade made to change the dynamic of the team and point it in a new direction on the ice.