More draft picks

On Day 2, the Canadiens select Mark MacMillan, a forward from the BCHL and Morgan Ellis, a Dman who played for Cape Breton in the Q, in the fourth round (113 and 117 overall).

The fifth round (147 overall) brought an intriguing pick: Brendan Gallagher, a 5’9″ RW who scored 41 goals and had more than 110 PiM for Vancouver in the WHL, and  Gallagher, who’s not afraid to drop ‘em, is the son of the team’s strength and conditioning coach.

The team’s final choice, 207th overall in the seventh round, was John Westin, who plays for the Modo Juniors in Sweden.

Those tempted to dismiss these kids as no-chancers might consider Andrei Markov, a sixth-round choice (162nd overall) by the Canadiens; Hal Gill, who was an eighth-round pick (207th overall) by the Bruins; Travis Moen, a fifth rounder (155th) for Calgary, Jaro Spacek, a fifth-round pick (117th) by Florida; Tom Pyatt, fourth round (107) by the Rangers, and Josh Gorges, who wasn’t drafted at all.

Oh, and in 2003 the Canadiens picked a pretty good goaltender in the ninth-round, 271st overall

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier | Morgan
Ellis
| St. Louis Blues president John Davidson talks about getting Jaro | Danny Biega of Pointe Claire (Louis Leblanc’s teammate at Harvard, drafted by Carolina)

gWalU3Xdy3w

1. smiler2729 says:

Who says they don’t sign Dan Ellis or some UFA to backup Price?

2. smiler2729 says:

Man, you’re dense, Timo 2.

3. Bill J says:

huh ? we have two VERY young 20 year old goalies as well.

Robert Mayer & Petteri Simila.

Desjardins being 24, makes Sanford the only old guy.

Seems to me drafting a goalie (something Tony seemed to suggest was a good idea) would not result in that goalie becoming the #2 in Montreal….  So are we not all on the same page that a UFA goalie will fill the #2 spot in Montreal, leaving Desjardins and either Mayer or Simila as his backup.

????

4. ed lopaz says:

Honestly, Bill, in 40 years of following the Habs, I can not remember the team and its minor league team

having less depth at the goalie position.

After Price – who sat for 18/19 playoff games,

we have Desjardins -who SF’09 (an excellent HIO scout) says is NOT ready to make the jump

and Sanford – an NHL cast off.

Our goaltending is very thin indeed.

5. avatar_58 says:

Why is it always stated he ran over Price? My opinion is Price did it on purpose to pick a fight. I like my view better, as he clearly got sick and tired of the way that game was going.

6. ed lopaz says:

tony – here’s a good one for you – I’m kind of feeling cynical myself these days-

no wonder we fired all of our scouts, we didn’t have any work for them to do.

Gainey gave us our # 1 pick, (no need for scout),

and PG ran up to the stage to grab him because he was the only guy left on his list.

there used to be 9 or 10 rounds- now we’re down to 7 — Habs trade their picks so we end up with

Tinordi – who should make our team as a poor man’s Pronger

4 other picks after the 4th round.

Not much work for the scouts, might as well save a few hundred dollars as fire them.

7. avatar_58 says:

Why draft a goalie when we have Price and Desjardins? Really there isn’t much point.

8. TripleX says:

Knockout punch delivered….LOL

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

9. HabsTrueBlue says:

LOL okay then I guess you need to make up your mind since you’re the one who wrote “I suggest you look at the career stats of Gomez.”

10. Bill J says:

I didn’t need to wait for the draft to know/understand this Tony. When PG said it clearly when he traded you know who, it seemed obvious to me then.

Can’t wait for your next Axis-of-Evil theory on the non-drafting of goalies this year.

11. ABHabsfan says:

My congrats to Sam Brittain, goalie selected in the 4th by FLA. He played for the local club here, Canmore Eagles in the AJHL and is from Canmore as well. I hope his career lasts longer than Dan Blackburn’s! (career ending shoulder injury)

12. SmartDog says:

Dude, you’re on a roll.

But stop, I’m gonna pee my pants!

13. longtimehabsfan says:

He’ll apply the muscle until Brendan Gallagher arrives.

14. Ayan_SB says:

CamJanssen55:

To all goalies drafted this weekend – stay in your crease! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgOhl_wkPSE . . . hahahahaha

15. NightRyder says:

I’ll be here all week. Try the veal.

16. NightRyder says:

“How a guy who is such a good passer can have hands of stone is mystery.”

It’s hard to score when you’re either behind the net or circling out by the blueline…

17. habsfansince91 says:

hahaha that’s pretty original…………

18. Dwayne33 says:

I was very excited to hear the Habs drafted Morgan Ellis from Prince Edward Island.(my home province) I am not overly familiar with his game(I seen him play a couple of games in the Q), but I still am proud of the pick. I hope it turns out to be a good one. A few years back, Montreal drafted Danny Stewart who is also from P.E.I. Unfortunately, he did not make the NHL, but I was especiallly proud of this pick.  His grandparents live in the same community as me, and I have known him since he was born.(his mom used to work with my mom). I just hope that the newest “Island”draft pickmakes it to the big team some day!

19. SmartDog says:

Great little article on Gallagher:

He might just be a future Gionta.

20. TripleX says:

ROFL….good one dude!

21. TripleX says:

I think Smartdog, it is more that certain individuals will NEVER admit that Gainey made a mistake.  When you look at his stats and then the salary it is just not logically defendable.

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

22. NightRyder says:

Desharnais may actually improve our size up front.

23. TripleX says:

We are not discussing career averages, but rather the here and now.  From this point going forward Briere and Savard will outpoint Gomez.

From the Twitter account of Nick Kypreos:

Source says Marc Savard has targeted Toronto/ Ottawa as possible destinations for a potential deal in which he’d drop his no move clause

24. NightRyder says:

I thought it was funny.

25. SmartDog says:

So Gomez scored in the last game we LOST and that makes him good?

How does that game mean somehow mean the most?  What about the 5 elminiation threat games we WON?   Those weren’t kinda CRUCIAL?

26. NightRyder says:

Who cares if he scored in the last game of the playoffs, which we lost because we were down three games to one because, in large part, our No. 1 centre had done squat diddly do for the rest of the series?

What about the other 17 games where he did pirouettes at the blueline and happened to get a handful of second assists?

Danny Briere led the playoffs in scoring. That’s called producing when it matters the most, consistently.

Gomez has the sixth-highest cap hit of any centre in the league. Here’s some guys who scored more than him this year: Henrik Sedin, Sidney Crosby, Nicklas Backstrom, Steven Stamkos, Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Anze Kopitar, Paul Stastny, Evgeni Malkin, Ryan Kesler, Mikko Koivu, Eric Stall, Pavel Datsyuk, Tomas Plekanec, Vinny Lecavalier, Derek Roy, Ryan Getzlaf, Jonathan Toews, Travis Zajac, Nik Antropov, Antoine Vermette, Tim Connolly, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Stephen Weiss, Brooks Laich.

Here’s a bunch of other guys who I’d also take over him for a variety of reasons (skill, cap hits, etc.): Jason Spezza, Nathan Horton, Matt Duchene, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron, Saku Koivu, David Krejci, Joe Pavelski, Jordan Stall, Jason Arnott, Sam Gagner, Marc Savard.

His contract remains a massive albatross for this team moving forward. It is not a complete condemnation of his skill as a player. But he has to go.

27. ManApart says:

We picked in the top 5 once, we got the most talented average joe in history.

28. MikeL says:

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Oh my god.

You are hilarious.

That was so funny. Are you related to Will Ferrell or Dane Cook by any chance?

29. MikeL says:

You’re awfully obsessed as to what I’m doing. I thought you were a weirdo to begin with, but you’re basically confirming it now with all that foolish talk.

I’m OK with it because there’s nothing that can be done, and I really don’t think it’s as big an issue as everyone let’s on. How much of a factor was Andrei Kostitsyn in the playoffs? Other than the hat trick against the Caps, he was benched frequently. If he is gone, just imagine Gomez is getting paid 4 million now, and everything will be okay. Trick yourself – it shouldn’t be hard.

30. SmartDog says:

is the son of the team’s strength and conditioning coach.

…he’s a Vancouver Giants’ coach (Ghallagher’s team), not Habs.  The way it’s written isn’t clear.

31. MikeL says:

It’s not a Plekanec roast. It’s comparing him to the other top center on our team, who himself just got a pretty darn good deal. Does that mean you’ll bash him too with annoying posts and lame jokes?

It’s acceptable when you assist on as many goals as he did, and it’s acceptable when you’re team makes it to the conference final.

And, one little thing you’re missing with the obnoxious capslocked words, is that Gomez scored in the last game of the playoffs. The game that meant the most, he scored, and almost scored another. Plus, he set Gomez up for numerous other chances in the third when no one else on the team could do anything. But, I know, I know,  know, that doesn’t matter. Just the absolute most negative way of looking at a situation does – right?

32. SmartDog says:

Yeah, but he gives a fun interview.  That’s worth 15-20 goals.

33. ManApart says:

He had Gionta and Cammy for a part of the year and and did anything but score.

34. HabsTrueBlue says:

“Maybe you mean outpoint.  He would not do that either.”

Actually if you look at PPG stats over their careers, Gomez does outpoint both Briere and Andre Savard.

35. Bryan says:

I think I remember hearing that he left at the end of last season.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

36. NightRyder says:

Are you soiling yourself to your Gomez poster as we speak?

He’s a second or third-liner at best. We play him huge minutes and on the PP and he produced 12 goals and 59 points and went 17 games without a goal in the playoffs.

For a long-term, $7.5M cap hit.

If you’re OK with that, that’s on you my friend.

37. NightRyder says:

I wasn’t aware this was a Tomas Plekanec roast, that’s down the hall. This is Gomez Bashing 101, didn’t you get your course outline?

Our de facto No. 1 centre had a 17-game goalless streak IN THE PLAYOFFS.

In what universe is that remotely acceptable?

“He’s a passer.”

Oh, I’m so sorry. I take it all back now…

38. SmartDog says:

With his contract he should play better than ALL of our team.

And you can’t say that 2 goals in 19 games is acceptable for any 1st line center let alone one making half what Gomez makes.  You can’t JUST pass.

39. MikeL says:

Playing the 2nd half of the PP taking passes from Josh Gorges and Roman Hamrlik is a little different than Andrei Markov.

40. longtimehabsfan says:

That’s the “brilliance” of these modern commissioners.  Even the Pens and Caps got higher picks than the Habs under this formula.

41. NightRyder says:

I think he should be forced to adopt Carey Price and earn his money that way.

42. Ayan_SB says:

I thought Scott Livingston was the strength and conditioning coach of the Habs?

43. SmartDog says:

Wow.  99 out of 210 drafted are Canadian born.  We still got it!

44. NightRyder says:

Perhaps I should have said “extensive PP time.” BTW, Gomez and Plekanec had EXACTLY the same PP time per game during the regular season last year.

45. SmartDog says:

I really don’t understand the Gomez infatuation.  To me, it’s like they Kovy infatuation.  Except that Kovy COULD score goals and COULD take a game over when he was on.

46. TripleX says:

HEY!  Come on, you just can’t buy the kind of good times a dude like Gomez brings to a room.

Oh wait!  It costs about 7 million a year.

47. matmacat says:

he just means score points. but you get it anyways.

48. longtimehabsfan says:

Doesn’t look like the Habs will be resigning Moore.  With Eller lurking and PG saying David Desharnais is close to ready it doesn’t look like they’ll be bringing him back.

49. TripleX says:

I suggest you look at the career stats of Gomez.  He had ONE year as a goal scorer and luckily for him it set his family up financially for life.

How a guy who is such a good passer can have hands of stone is mystery.

Maybe you mean outpoint.  He would not do that either.

50. MikeL says:

He’s a passer. I know that’s very very very hard for you to understand, but please try.

He scored 14 points in 19 games.

Plekanec had 11.

Gomez had 3 points in the 5 game series.

Plekanec had none.

Yeah, the contract isn’t great. But, when it mattered most, he played better than most of our team.

51. SmartDog says:

Yeah, it’s funny how a couple of jokes about a guy mean you want him to fail/suck/die.

If he gets somewhere in the VICINITY of a PPG for a season I promise to never tease about his bad passes again.  Not only that but I’ll swear off cheese forever.

52. NightRyder says:

Are you as fascinated as me by the number of people who actually think we WANT Gomez to suck?

As if he scored 35 goals and got 90 points next year we’d somehow be mad because we were so wrong about him?

53. andrewberkshire says:

To be fair, Plekanec was on the first wave of the PP for 90% of the year, not Gomez. Not that it’s an excuse for his lack of production.

54. derfab says:

Give Gomez Scott Hartnell (or Byf)and he’ll outscore Briere or Savard.

55. NightRyder says:

Yes, that 17-game goalless streak in the playoffs was really showing up when it mattered most. I’ll give you that.

But I’m glad one half-decent period is enough to give you a boner for the entire off-season.

56. derfab says:

Noticed that local kid named alex Bolduc is a Vancouver free agent. Did well in manitoba, lost his Dad, hasn’t stuck with Canucks, might be a decent pick up for Hamilton. Average size, stood up to a goon and took a pounding when no one else would.

57. NightRyder says:

Pucks and the cap space

58. ZepFan2 says:

Get that at spritzRus?

————————————————————————

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

59. NightRyder says:

Couldn’t agree more. Inane rule.

Unless you’re picking in the top five anyway, you’re not likely to get a high-end talent.

Sadly, we rabid critics wouldn’t stand for plummeting to the bottom to get a Taylor Hall or a Tyler Seguin, would we??

60. MikeL says:

Do you thinking making up quotes, or quoting some yahoo on the TSN message boards really proves your point? I’m not a Gomez hater or lover, but I would never utter any of those things out of my mouth.

That being said, Gomez, along with Gionta, were the only forwards to show up in the deciding game against Philly. Gomez owned the 3rd period, and nearly tied, or passed it to Gionta to tie it, on numerous occasions. Point being, you may not like his contract, but when it really mattered, he showed up, and Tomas Plekanec didn’t.

61. McManager says:

So is the question then Gomez vs. Bag of Pucks?

62. SmartDog says:

Or “…. then gets stripped of the puck.”   OR “….gets in trouble and dishes at someone’s ankles.”

63. smiler2729 says:

Gomez.

64. SmartDog says:

LOL

I better not pull out my water squirting gun.

65. MikeL says:

How’s that “in all likelihood”?

Pretty strong comments on something we won’t be able to judge for 5 or 6 years.

66. NightRyder says:

Also, don’t forget the “I love how he controls the puck with speed through the neutral zone” fawning.

(Just don’t mention the “then harmlessly circles just inside the blueline and creates absolutely nothing” addendum).

How many other centres in the league, given 20 minutes a game and first-line power-play time, could get 12 goals and 59 points?

67. ZepFan2 says:

Up against the wall, the joke police have arrived!

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    – Sam Pollock

68. NightRyder says:

The draft has not excited me nearly as much since the day I saw Lindsay Vallis and Turner Stevenson play in Seattle and realized they both blew donkeys and scouting was, ahem, a rather inexact science.

My enthusiasm for all our touted “prospects” has since been tempered by a healthy dose of wait-and-see.

I just wish we had a coach who could actually nurture them along and really give us some hope.

69. SmartDog says:

Don’t forget “he’s the best passer in the league” (ignoring all the terrible, blind, and panicked passes), and “he’s the only reason we’re able to ice 21 players at all”.

70. SmartDog says:

It’s a joke…

71. Mike Boone says:

Well, a franchise player isn’t going to drop to 22 in the first round. I think it’s illogical that draft position i based on the playoffs, rather than performance over an 82-game schedule, which is a much better indicator of where a team is at and what it needs. Canadiens would have picked 12th

72. andrewberkshire says:

Here’s something to consider. Brendan Gallagher has almost the same stats that fellow small guy Jordan Eberle had in his respective draft year. Gallagher was also 5th in playoff scoring this year with the giants. This kid is a firecracker and we might have really gotten a steal.

73. NightRyder says:

Spezza.

Hell, we all know we’ll be stuck with Gomez for another year or two, until his deal becomes slightly more palatable to foist off on some team looking to reach the cap floor.

I’ll do my best to sit back and enjoy all 12 of his goals next year, and the ensuing 417 love letters and “he’s good in the room” comments here after every one.

74. SmartDog says:

It’s still a question whether Gomez can regain his form and be the goalie we need.

We should’ve got more for Savard when we traded him to St. Louis.

75. McManager says:

Gomez vs. Savard…

(Hoping to distract the crowd from repetitive height / goalie arguments.)