Montreal’s Greek community embraces Hab

Canadiens forward Tom Kostopoulos
Phillip MacCallum, Getty Images

Tom Kostopoulos wasn’t the big free-agent signing Canadiens fans had hoped for during the summer, but the hard-working forward quickly found his role on the team. In this week’s one-on-one with The Gazette’s Kevin Mio, the Mississauga, Ont., native talks about how easy it was to sign with the Habs and the prank he pulled on head coach Marc Crawford while playing in Los Angeles.

Here’s one of his answers:

Being from the heart of Leafs Nation, how hard was it to sign with Montreal, and have you or your family taken any ribbing back home?

"It was easier than you think. Growing up watching the rivalry, just to be a part of it, it was exiting. Just growing up in Toronto, playing for a Canadian team is exciting, and Montreal, the winningest franchise in history and all the history. I was really excited about it and my heart was set as soon as I heard they were interested."

1. showey47 says:

No doubt t.k. has been a great character addition on and off the ice, something this team has lacked in recent years. I would have no issue in giving this guy a contract extention when his expires.

2. Naila Jinnah says:

Great piece, and once again, we learn about an interesting roommate combination.

TK seems to have a great character, not to mention a good sens of humour ;)

3. Mr.Hazard says:

Yes, Da Hema is correct. Overall I really like the new style. Now I don’t have to put in my email address 4 times a day. :)

Ex nihilo nihil fit

4. Dave Stubbs says:

Might be an operating system issue. I’m running Tiger on an iMac, and I’ve got no bleed of any column onto another.

Dru, our tech wizard, is aware of it and we’ll keep you posted.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

5. Robert L says:

I was reading an Ottawa paper ( rag, mostly ) and found an interesting POV on the Habs from a ( closet Habs fan ) journalist. In his view, and those of the Sens, the Canadiens are coming on strong. I posted in at EOTP along with my usual 2 cents throw in. Check it out:

6. Chuck says:

Look at that! The re-launched HI/O’s first double post! I’m so honoured!!!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

7. Chuck says:

I’ve got a few of them that I’ll put into rotation… and yours is one of them. It’s a great shot that really captures
    the spirit of the evening!

first use the photo of my Beliveau jersey.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

8. Chuck says:

the spirit of the evening!

When setting up my profile, I was prompted to enter the name of my favourite all-time Hab, which lead me to first use the photo of my Beliveau jersey.

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

9. Da Hema says:

Hi Dave Stubbs:

Is it just me, or do the columns on the right (About Kevin Mio, Archives, etc) cross over and hide the “karma” ratings for you and others? Have I set my view properly for this site?
    _________________________________________________________
    “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”
    –Gordie Howe

“You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.”
    –Yogi Berra

10. Kevin Mio says:

Chuck,

This was the picture that was published with the article in the paper and it was not my choice. Unfortunately, though, there isn’t many photos of Kostopoulos in our database yet.

– Kevin

11. sidhu says:

I didn’t know much about Kosto before he signed with us, but I’m very pleased that he’s with the club – he plays hard and, what comes across in this article is that he’s a humble guy whose happy just to be in the lineup and contribute to the team. That mentality is exactly what you want out of a checking/energy player.

In Bob We Trust.

12. Robert L says:

Chuck – Why don’t you use that nice shot I took of you the Bell last month as your personal pic? :)

13. Da Hema says:

Kostopoulos was a good signing. It is because of players like him, Komisarek, Chipchura, and eventually Lapierre that we are not buckling to the hitting game like the team did in the past.

Speaking of hitting, there was nothing at all wrong with Plekanec’s hit on Redden. I still cannot understand why he received a penalty at all. The referee initially thought it was boarding, recognised it was not, then gave him a sheap interference call. Why can’t the referees in the NHL admit when they make a mistake? In the NFL and CFL, if a flag is thrown in error, they just say so. Why can’t NHL referees do that too?

14. Chuck says:

Hey Kevin, couldn’t you find a better photo of Tom to accompany the article? Something with a little less black and yellow, perhaps? :)

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

15. TradeRyder says:

Agreed about Ryder and Lats. S. Kostitsyn probably too. This must be obvious to the Carbonator. I wonder if he and Gainey are agreeing… Carbs seems to have a soft spot for Last for sure and also maybe for Ryder.

Dave!
    Hope makes a good breakfast, but a bad supper!

16. Chuck says:

“… a good SENS of humour” :P

+1 for the pun, Naila!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

17. showey47 says:

Totally off topic but does anyone think we should maybe look into re-acquiring perreault from chicago, he is apparently struggling bad there so would probably come very cheap. I have noticed how bad we’ve been in the face-off circle as of late, especially in the third against ottawa and pretty much the entire game against the laffs, sundin killed us in the circle in both games this year.

Who better to teach the art of the face-off other than the person who has been the master of it for the past 10 seasons or so. Just a thought.

18. MikeMcLaren says:

Okay, so am I the only one who thought this feature was going to be about Habs Inside Out users?

(Montreal GEEK community embraces Hab)

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

19. MikeMcLaren says:

Kevin,

Great piece – I look forward to these features. It’s cool to get insight into the players’ lives.

For instance, who would have known that Grabovski was his roommate? I think Non-Stopolous will probably help him out quite a bit.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

20. RH says:

Alright, I’m an official member of Habsinsideout.com! And the best part is, it didn’t cost me a dime!! I like free things.

Kostopoulos was a great signing by Gainey. I was kinda shocked that Carbo would put him to play with the two rookies, yesterday though. I can only imagine the energy that could be created if he played with Lapierre. Gainey should be praised for signing him as well as Hamrlik and, to a certain extent, Smolinski. I haven’t been overly impressed with Smolinski, thus far.

21. Chuck says:

Well, Tom the Bomb referenced Chipchura’s new nickname (Freddy, after Freddy Prinze, Jr.) in the article, so I guess that it’s official. Another great prank by Tom. All hail Freddy!

______________________________________________
    “Vote Saku for All-Star… or little Timmy gets it!!!”

22. showey47 says:

Very good signing by bob gainey, carbo just needs to keep him on the fourth line where he is most effective. He is a big upgrade over mike johnson, who may of scored 11 goals for us last year, but probably threw less than 11 hits or blocked less than 11 shots.

23. MikeMcLaren says:

Re: the great bagel debate:

I would say just chill and be comforted by the fact that Montreal poutine is better than New York poutine…

/\\ike