Month II begins

Red Fisher (right) with Youppi! postgame Saturday at the Bell Centre. “He was a better quote than a rookie,” Fisher later said.

Will November be as good as October was for your Montreal Canadiens?

• Dave Stubbs on Andrei Markov’s return

Surprises through 10 games – Red Fisher

D doing it – Pierre Ladouceur

• Richard Labbé weighs the value of Scott Gomez

• Yvon Pedneault on the first 10 games

• François Gagnon on the players and the Leucan kids

• EOTP assesses October

And an October highlight reel

gK0Mhc8VnKk

1. JD_ says:

If you hear that comment shoutin’ you down, then you are also hearing things that aren’t there.

2. fbkj says:

carolina panthers… OH NOES!!!

3. VancouverHab says:

See, Mr. Boone: this is what we expect and need from you pros. I wish to God we could infuse this level of balance, sense and perspective into you beat writers here.

You guys are supposed to the ballast to the wild pitch and roll of hoi polloi here in the commentariat. Right now it’s the other flippin’ way around.

Bless you, jb…. :–)

4. TomNickle says:

I didn’t include him because I feel Doan is more overpaid and also because I’d rather have Jovo at his salary than Hamrlik at his.

5. TomNickle says:

This list is inciting the reaction I was looking for.  There are a few teams in the league who you could argue manage their money better.  But I have to say, based on what we get from our overpaid player, the only player I’d rather have who is on this specific list is Eric Staal.

6. TomNickle says:

Funny rationalization considering Max hasn’t played centre much this season, certainly not more than a few shits.

7. joeybarrie says:

I agree, what the worst for me is how hard I am campainging for Gomez, as if I was his agent, or his number 1 fan. His Contract is high and it is ridiculous. But that does not make it a bad trade nor does it make him a negative player on this team. We paid Gionta 109k per point last season and made him captain. We paid Gomez 123k and made him the worst thing the Habs have ever done…

That irks me, people saying how HUGE a mistake it was, yet we are leading the league and went to the Conf Finals last season..

I understand them, and am just as frustrated with his line as the next guy. But the things people say are on the same level as Trade Price… THEY MAKE NO SENSE.

Remember when we were bashing Cammi cause he couldn’t score in the beginning of the season… I have to tell you, never heard anything bad about Gomez when he was leading us in the playoffs last season.

There is a lack of respect for individuals, and it is based on their salary. That is unfair. The salary aspect is a function of a teams success, however, it is different from the game itself. The players don’t act this way towards Gomez based on his salary, so why should the fans?

Its just so frustrating our fickle fans pick and choose when they love you, and are ready to dump on you the second you make a few mistakes and or have a bad game.

Hamr SAVED this team last season with his play in Markov’s absense, but people credit it to Subban who played in 2 games. This season we hate him, and couldn’t care less what he did for us in the past.

But then they cry about how we treated KOIVU……..  But who cares about Hamr… He isn’t Koivu…. He’s a jacka**…. He deserve to be bashed…  Same with LATS, RYDER, SOURAY, ETC ETC….

People bashing Dagostini, now they are saying we should have kept him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. Mattyleg says:

Max’s particular shee-it disturbing skills are also an important factor.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Mattyleg says:

I can dig sportsmanship. When it’s paired with intensity. Otherwise it looks like… well, what I described.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. mike g says:

Or maybe because he’s a right-handed centerman.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

11. VancouverHab says:

Beautiful! (Especially the Vancouver Canucks part :–)

You know, I am very proud of us here in H-I/O. We have more balanced thinking, less journalistic reactivity and extremism, and plain more fact than the professional sportwriters.

Sorry, Mike: you know that I love you, but you guys are truly discrediting yourselves over this one.

12. HabsoluteFan says:

Long list of horrible contracts…As much as I like Gomez, and I think he’s very valuable when he’s on his game, there’s still a few players on that list I’d rather have on my team.

There’s still a whole lot of hockey to be played and I expect we will see him put up more points. Right now the team is doing well and I’m not too worried about Gomez and Gionta as I think they’ll break out of their slumps.  I still understand people who have a hard time with him based on his contracts.  It’s normal to expect more from a guy who makes that much money.

13. TomNickle says:

Max has been borderline elite defensively, and better than Pyatt in my opinion.  It would appear that the coach shares that opinion 😉

14. mike g says:

Pyatt has also been great this year.

One of our best PK players.

Lapierre still lack that “jam” we all expect from him. And in the few games we saw Boyd play, he was more physical than Max.

Not saying Max should sit, I’d say Darche should, but Darche is giving his 100% every shift.

Cant say that about Max yet.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. Mark C says:

You mean that part of Gomez’ contract isn’t the only dead cap money in the NHL?

This has always been one of my points about Gomez, all teams have some dead money on their cap.  In some ways Montreal is lucky that Gomez is the only long-term dead money contract on the team.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

You’ve gone from being persistently  wrong about hockey to being wrong about semantics.

17. TorontoHabsFan says:

Excellent List. One more:

Phoenix Coyotes – Ed Jovanovski – $6,500,000 annually

18. SeriousFan09 says:

He was a good PKer in 08-09, this year he’s showing his real level again.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take offence to that but your dog avatar’s too cool to stay mad at ya Bryan 😛

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. TomNickle says:

Lapierre has been great defensively this season Mike.

He’s become a very intelligent player.

21. TomNickle says:

Ottawa Senators – Jason Spezza – $7,000,000 annually.

Detroit Red Wings – Brian Rafalski – $6,000,000 annually.

Vancouver Canucks – Roberto Luongo – $5,333,333 annually forever.

New Jersey Devils – Patrick Elias – $6,000,000 annually.

Boston Bruins – Milan Lucic – $4,000,000 annually.

Philadelphia Flyers – Danny Briere – $6,500,000 annually.

Calgary Flames – Jay Bouwmeester – $6,680,000 annually.

Chicago Blackhawks – Brian Campbell – $7,142,875 annually.

Pittsburgh Penguins – Marc Andre Fleury – $5,000,000 annually.

Minnesota Wild – Martin Havlat – $5,000,000 annually.

San Jose Sharks – Patrick Marleau – $6,900,000 annually.

New York Rangers – Chris Drury – $7,050,000 annually.

Anaheim Ducks – Lubomir Visnovsky – $5,600,000 annually.

Toronto Maple Leafs – Dion Phaneuf – $6,500,000 annually.

Los Angeles Kings – Ryan Smyth – $6,250,000 annually.

Buffalo Sabres – Tomas Vanek – $7,142,000 annually.

Columbus Blue Jackets – Kristian Huselius – $4,750,000 annually.

Dallas Stars – Mike Ribeiro – $5,000,000 annually.

Nashville Predators – Martin Erat – $4,500,000 annually.

Carolina Panthers – Eric Staal – $8,250,000 annually.

Florida Panthers – Bryan McCabe – $5,750,000 annually.

Tampa Bay Lightning – Vincent Lecavalier – $7,727,223 annually.

Edmonton Oilers – Shawn Horcoff – $5,500,000 annually.

St. Louis Blues – Brad Boyes – $4,000,000 annually.

New York Islanders – Rick Dipietro – $4,500,000 annually.

Colorado Avalanche – Scott Hannan – $4,500,000 annually.

22. HabsoluteFan says:

That’s fair…so Boyd with Gomez and Gionta ? I’d like to see it, I was impressed with Boyd in the first few games.  He has good hands and is speedy.  For some reason, I’ve got a feeling, ouuhhhh oouuhhhhh, that Darche is gonna be on that line

23. Bryan says:

My post had D-Pairings.  At least I’m still adding some value to the site.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

24. VancouverHab says:

It’s called ‘sportsmanship’, Dude. Happens in soccer at the highest levels of intensity — including World Cup finals.

Another reason I’m glad we have Gomez.

25. mike g says:

Pyatt out, but Lapierre still in?

Um, alright.

Hope that works.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Luck of the draw I guess :)

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. mike g says:

Somewhat agree…

Problem is that dumb play by Hamrlik deflates a team. Anyone who’s played competitive hockey will understand.

The game was tied, and we were already dominating them. We weren’t getting that bounce needed to pot the 2nd goal and take the lead, so our confidence was already fragile. Then Roman goes and pull that dumb move, and FLA takes a 2-1 lead.

It’s hard to describe what that does to a team that can’t find a way to pot one in a game they’re dominating. Like I said, out confidence was already weak due to the way the game was going, and that Booth goal spelled the end of any comeback.

That’s the way hockey is sometimes.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. joeybarrie says:

Funny. What people forget to mention is that Gomez set up a GAME WINNING GOAL, and scored a GAME WINNING GOAL.

I’ll mention it again. Im glad AK had a hat trick last year. He did it in a game we lost. When Gomez produces we win…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. Bryan says:

$#@!%

You’re too fast for me SF

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

30. Bryan says:

MAGodin tweeted that Spacek, O’Byrne and Pyatt look to be the scratches for tomorrow night.

Pairings were:

Markov – Picard

Hamrlik – Subban

Gill – Gorges

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

31. joeybarrie says:

How can you say it’s sucking the life out of this team when we are currently on our best run since 1993?

Made the playoffs, went to the Conf Finals and are tied for most points in the LEAGUE…. Since Gomez has joined the team…. Plus let’s remember he and GIO had the most ice time among forwards. Its not like he play 10 minutes a game. Almost 2 minutes per game more than Pleks. His value is there.

You want to take about the Price of Cheese, fine…

But when you make a BIG trade and your team is enjoying the most success since that trade, how can you say that it was a mistake, or that it is the worst part of our team…

The salary is a drain. YES… But he is getting $100,000 per point last season based on this salary.

We are paying AK 80K each point for his production last season…

CAMMI was worth 120k per point last season, Gomez 123k…. NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE.

So if Gomez is a HUGE WASTE at 123k per point. Why is Cammi a great deal at 120K per point.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

32. SeriousFan09 says:

From the twitter of Marc Antoine Godin

“O’Byrne, Spacek and Pyatt seem the likely scratches for tomorrow’s game on Columbus based on this morning’s practice.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. VancouverHab says:

“Sucking the life out of the team”??  SD — that’s so far over the top that it’s the Battle of the Somme.

We had A LOT of life in last year’s playoffs — with Gomez (a lot of life in an absolute sense, and positive divinity relative to the last five years: years Before Gomez.)

We have so much life this year that we are in first place–with Gomez.

And if you refer to his contract, then I’ll just say that you (and you are in good company with not only most commentators but all the professional sportswriters) — and I say this with all due respect — are arguing from a position of Zero economic literacy. Every comment that I have read from sportswriters and the amateurs in the comments section here is actually as simplistic and peurile as this: “Gomez contract have BIG NUMBER: Big Number very BAD thing.” No sportwriter that I have read on this topic has any economic intelligence or credential, but that doesn’t stop them from beclowning themselves by their writing. These writers know as much about economic theory as they do about brain surgery–to wit Absolute Zero. Suffice it to say that the size of any one component within a ceiling-asset situation is not in itself fiscally deleterious. The active expenditure dimension is the aggregate total relative to the performance of the fixed capital–i.e. the players.

Dial it back, big guy….Let the Jack Todds of the world look infantile–you have a great reputation to maintain.

I think the real reason we lost to Florida is because we only scored one goal.

35. punkster says:

Rob, my comment was not in any way intended as censorship of you or anyone else with an opposing opinion on the Gomez deal. It is simply my opinion in response to other opinions, yours included, being posted here. I certainly do not attempt to shout people down. Not in my nature.

Look, as I said on the thread last night, we disagree on this subject. Evidence this Labbe article which we view from different angles and reach different conclusions. Hey, maybe we’re both wrong about this and Gomez is Gainey’s long lost love child, half brother to Carey Price, all of which explains so much about this team.

36. RGM says:

Briere gets 3 game suspension for cross-checking Frans Nielsen.

37. RGM says:

Agree to disagree when it comes to Pierre.

On Cherry, he’s one of many tenured folks at the CBC (a certain play-by-play guy is another) that should have been recycled years ago. Does Grapes still bring something to the table? Occasionally, but the man is a spectacle and a living, breathing caricature who cashes in on the fact. Good on him. The stuff that he’s right about is important, and the stuff that he’s wrong about causes considerable amounts of eye-rolling and gnashing of teeth. But it all sells.

38. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. True dat.

I didn’t think it was Gomer who shot the puck. Maybe I’m wrong.

And it was a lob more than anything, from what I remember.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. Mattyleg says:

First of all, I don’t agree with “It’s His Faut”-ism. It is a team game, like Slovak says. Carey Price is to blame for letting the puck in. The top two lines are to blame for not scoring more. The checkers are to blame for not checking more. The refs are to blame… actually, I may be on to something there…

I agree that Gionta’s production would boost Gomez’s numbers. Blame isn’t a part of hockey, but I just want Gomez to smarten up a bit is all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. TomNickle says:

There is something we can do about Gomez’s salary Joey.  We can bitch and squeal about how he isn’t any good, lacks intensity, doesn’t care, isn’t funny, isn’t tough, is a liability and has hampered the team for the next four years.

And of course, we would be wrong with all of those statements.

But we could do it anyway.

41. HabsoluteFan says:

Subban talked with Tavares in Wednesday’s game against the Isles and gave him a tap on the pads. Nobody made a big deal out of it because they played together in the WJC.  On the play you’re talking about, Gomez gave a tap on Roloson’s pads because after he shot into his glove, he gave him a little slash on the wrist.  i saw it as a ”sorry, my bad” kinda tap on the pads.

Anyway, the way he’s playing, I don’t know why we’re bashing him for taking a shot on the goalie.  Roloson should’ve tapped Gomez on the pads and said, nice shot Scottie..way better than turning the puck over at the blueline or trying to pass it to Gionta when he’s still sitting on the bench.

42. TomNickle says:

Oh, the six day member has a comment.

Gee, I wonder if this is an alias account for somebody who can’t garner any respect with their current profile.

43. kirkiswork says:

Great post.

44. joeybarrie says:

Richard Labbe weighs in on Gomez. So I read this article and I don’t really understand some people ideology. My French is not great so I might have gotten a few things wrong, but in the end this is my theory…

Gionta three highest scoring seasons were playing with Scott Gomez. 05-06, 06-07, 09-10, and co-incidentally these are the last three years they have played together.

Gomez alone last season was responsible and involved in 27% of our regular season goals and 30% of our play off goals.

Who cares if Gionta came because of Gomez or not. They play well together. They are responsible or involved in 48% of our goals last season together, and a staggering 63% in the playoffs.

Gomez had more ice time than Pleks in the playoffs and his line played more than any other line. During the regular season Gomez averaged ONE SECOND less than Pleks did.

Gomez had points in 90% of the games we won in the playoffs. When Gomez was producing we were winning. The opposite of Kostitsyn last season. Kost has a hat trick in a game we lost. Kost seemed to me anyways to be scoring in games we would lose. I don;t want to take away from what he did last season, but a hat trick in a losing game is useless to the TEAM. My only point here, cause im not bashing Kostitsyn, is that Gomez produces and plays well in games we WIN.

To me how can you not admit this guy is an impact player. Yes his production is not equal to his salary. We cannot do anything about it, and I have yet to hear a better solution at the time to his position. I look at it this way

Gionta – Gomez – Pouliot (who only played half the season) 55 goals, good for 25% of the teams production

Cammi – AK – Pleks                                                         66 goals, good for 30% of the teams production

GIO LINE  makes 13.5 million

Pleks line  14.2 million

These numbers are not off. They are where they are supposed to be. So worrying about Gomez salary is one thing, but saying that his value to the team is not significant to me is pretty stupid. Especially when Plekanec makes 2.3 million less and Gomez has twice the amount of points in his career and his average is considerable higher than Pleks. Gomez has been pretty consistent with his assists and thats what we have him for. The trade included Pyatt, which at this point I would take over Higgins ALONE.

I ask you this… You have a player like Shawn Horcoff. 5.5 million 37 points. David Booth averages 47 points a season playing on 82 games 4.2 million a season. Risk Nash averages 60 points a season…. 7.8 million.

Now Gomez averages 73 points a season and had 73 points for us last season… His salary doesn’t look so bad. He performs consistently in the Playoffs…. Nash has only 3 points in his career in the playoffs. WHO CARES IF HIS TEAM ONLY WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS ONCE IN EIGHT YEARS. Thats my point….. Gomez’ teams go to the playoffs and he does well in the playoffs. His teams WIN in the playoffs.

In the end if you can really say the guy who had 2nd most play off ice time among forwards, 3rd most play off points, 9th in the league for play off assists, and 2nd in the league in playoff assists excluding teams in the Stanley cup finals. He was 20th in the league for reg season assists. If you can say this guy is not a VERY important part of your success, than you are simply BLIND.

Yes he is overpaid. But so is 20% of the league. Yes his production is sucking this season. But last season it took Cammi 10-15 games to show his value. No one want to get rid of him. Despite the fact he is getting paid 1.3 million less and still had 9 points less in the reg season. Why cause when it counted he put the puck in the net. SO DOES GOMEZ. YES he doesn’t score, but Gionta does, and it’s cause of Gomez.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. TomNickle says:

Right, it’s a bad trade because you and two analysts and one general manager say so.

You don’t like Gomez, we get it.  It doesn’t make the trade bad.  Then again, if you’re so short sighted that you’re going out of your way to make your decision about a trade that can’t truly be evaluated for another three years then you aren’t nearly as intelligent as you like to make yourself out to be.

46. habs4real says:

forgot to take your meds again!

47. mike g says:

Hamrlik was the man to blame for the loss to FLA…

If you wanna point the finger to one guy, it’s him. Not Gionta’s 100 missed opportunities (in which Gomez would have gotten some PTS and +/- value), it’s Hamrlik’s fault.

For some strange reason, that Czech man figured he was Bobby Orr and was gonna deke the whole Panthers team. Too bad he only made it passed one out of 5 players, caused a massive turnover while the Habs were changing lines, and sent David Booth in all alone on a breakaway/penalty shot.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but if you wanna act cool and be Bobby Orr, make sure your team’s not changing lines. And even worse, it was done in the 2nd period when the Habs have the long change.

Dumbass move by Hamrlik that cost us the game.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

48. TomNickle says:

You saw a tap.  I honestly didn’t see it.  It can be only one of two things, either a shot at Roloson intended to upset him or just telling him he made a nice save.  I don’t think telling the opposing goalie he made a nice save takes any intensity out of somebody’s game.

49. SlovakHab says:

How’ bout Gionta scoring more than once on his 44 shots and having another scoring winger on the left flank..?

I bet Gomez would have way more assists and people wouldn’t be complaining so much.

It’s a team game, for Pete’s sake..

50. Mattyleg says:

I dunno, I’ve put together some pretty bad ones… drunken posting is a terrible thing.

I’m just frustrated with him. So he fought a few times last season. So did Goerges Laraque. And as that example shows, fighting is not always a real indication of intensity.

Gomez skates like mad, don’t get me wrong, he wins the speed award every shift, but he seems to have caught the Kovy-bug of starting the play, skating around, and losing the puck -only faster.

I was just annoyed at him boosting the other goalie. Have you ever seen that before? Do you think it’s indicative of anything, or is it fine and dandy?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. SmartDog says:

Now let’s compare Gomez’s cap hit to Higgins.  Or Subban’s shoe size to the price of cheese!  Whatever.  The trade was dumb and it’s still sucking the life out of the team.  Hopefully the rest of the team is strong enought to make up for it, but the guy’s salary is a terrible drain and the guy himself is irritating.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

52. mike g says:

Sort of, yea…

But Prime Minister G wouldn’t use fancy words like “audit”. I’d call it, “watch list”. So much simpler and easier for the public to understand. Little changes like that is why Mike G should be PM.

Anyhoo, I’d tell McGuire to move to the States. He alreasy works for NBC and has a segment with Milbury. That’s enough to dumb-you down to an IQ of -13.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

53. SmartDog says:
    FROM Dictionary.com for CENSOR:

an adverse critic; faultfinder

Trying to shout other people down (supervise, find fault, criticize for talking about something) IS censorship.  The post is practically shouting… you can’t read it without hear that.  It’s sarcastic, and most of what it says is mean-spirited.

You won’t ever find me on here shouting people down just for talking about something they care about as long as that something is about the Habs.  Skip the posts you don’t like.  It’s that simple.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

54. Mattyleg says:

Roman Hamrlik has more points in fewer games and a better +/- than Gomez.

Forget the contract, I’m talking production.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. TomNickle says:

We wonder about Gomez’s intensity?  He fought three times last season.

This is the worst post you’ve ever put together.

56. TomNickle says:

Nobody want to talk about Hamrlik being the cause of another opposition GWG?

Just want to focus on Gomez’s contract, how he isn’t scoring or how he doesn’t try?

Okay.

57. Say Ash says:

Cherry and McGuire would be on the audit short-list under Prime Minister G’s reign, I gather?

58. TomNickle says:

In those seven games, they’re all winnable and 4 of 7 would be good.  5 of 7 would be great.  3 of 7 would be disappointing but not the end of the World.

59. mike g says:

Don Cherry is high up in the hockey community here in Canada…

Everywhere he goes he gets large crowds to follow him. Does that make him a better “hockey guy” than others, no.

Pierre McGuire is a loud-mouth douche. That’s it, that’s all.

He used to be good, before the MONSTER fame got to his big-a*s bald head. Now, all he does is rant on about irrelevant facts and stuff, trying to show that not only does he know where each and every player went to school college, university, and took a dump last night, but he also knows who their parents are, where they work, where they live, etc…

I’m not sure about you, but when I’m watching a hockey game that stuff doesn’t impress me one bit. If I want hockey info, I trust Bob Mckenzie.

If I’m in the mood to laugh at a giant dork who looks like he got beat everyday in high-school, and who thinks he’s the smartest man in all of hockey just because he knows where Sidney Crosby last ate dinner, then I’ll go to Pierre.

He’s the most irrelevant hockey man out there. Watch TSN, and you’ll see when he’s on the panel everyone is annoyed of his rude and arrogant attitude.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’ve got a question for you all that I’ve been waiting to ask since Friday night:

— Did anyone else see Gomez tap Duane Roloson’s pad as he skated past him after the goalie made a glove save?

What the hell is up with that??? Perhaps I’m wrong, but this isn’t House League, where the guys on the opposition are in your class at school. This is the NHL. A Competitive League.

We wonder enough as it is about Gomez’s lack of intensity, and now we have him giving props to opposition goalies! He seems to have gone from not shooting at them -perhaps for fear of scoring and hurting their feelings- to boosting them!

Nice Guy Scottie has to drop his ‘good time’ attitude and start showing some balls. Seriously.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. Say Ash says:

Pyatt’s been a welcome surprise, too.

62. TorontoHabsFan says:

He has the added bonus of actually having a decent point shot for the 2nd PP unit.

(Granted I haven’t seen too much of Calgary since he joined them, but if he’s played at all like he did in Toronto, then he’d be an excellent addition to our blue line…)

63. JD_ says:

If you see censorship in that comment, you’re seeing things that aren’t there.

64. TomNickle says:

Why don’t we compare Gomez’s production to the production of Higgins.  I’ll go out on a limb and say Gomez has been more productive.  I’m sure somebody will come up with a stupid argument that Higgins is a better player.

Valentenko has played in 0 NHL games and is part of an organization with a crowded defense group with a lot of up and coming talent where he won’t fit in.

Ditto for McDonagh.

Since Gomez’s acquisition we’ve gone to the Eastern Conference final and are off to a good start this season.

If he plays the way he has to start the season for the remainder of his next four years here, then people might be correct in saying that it was a bad trade.  But to date, it’s been a good one.

65. mike g says:

According to a few websites, not sure how credible, the Devils asked Elias to lift his NTC….

And, he quickly said no.

You know, ESPN or a US network that actually cares about hockey, should follow around the Devils this year and make a reality series based on their 99 problems.

And it should be called, “How Hell Fell”, or “HHF” for all those abbreviation-addicted Americans…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

66. SlovakHab says:

From 9th to 24th of November..:

Games against Vancouver, Boston, Philly, LA, Toronto, Carolina and Nashville.

Get out of that sequence with a .500 or above record and I’m a happy camper.

67. SmartDog says:

Ah, the voice of the excited censor.

On an unrelated topic, I’m not sure why everyone hates McGuire.  Sure he says some irritating things, but he knows hockey better than most analysts and his passion for the sport is unquestionable.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

68. SlovakHab says:

I like Ian White and he’s been really solid with the Leafs, but might be reluctant to sign with us for the very same reason.

Otherwise, he would be a really good addition!

69. RGM says:

“Pierre McGuire, a man who most here wouldn’t ask for the time of day”

Pierre McGuire is one of the most respected and insightful hockey analysts in the game today, and “most here” are commenters on a message board. Just because some don’t like him doesn’t invalidate many of the very intelligent things he says. Does he put his foot in his mouth from time to time? Of course. Is the bombast a little off-putting? Occasionally. But that doesn’t cancel out his standing within the hockey community.

70. punkster says:

Spaceman is Hurcules. He needs no partner!

71. punkster says:

The continuing angst over the Gomez trade. Will people ever learn to get over it? Now we have another article that can be touted as truth, fact and proof that the deal was, and is, no good.

FFS people, it’s an sports writer’s article. He flipped a coin. Heads, I write an article supporting the Gomez deal. Tails I trash it. It came up tails this time. He can make a case for either side.And for this article he builds upon 2 very shakey pillars.

First, his entire position now rides on the “fact” that neither Gionta or Gill came here because of Gomez. But did you all forget that this myth was debunked almost a year ago. Did you? Why is this suddenly “new proof”? Then second, to add credibility to his new position he quotes that paragon of hockey analysts, Pierre McGuire, a man who most here wouldn’t ask for the time of day.

No matter what you believe even Labbe says it at the end of the article: “Le Canadien va devoir apprendre à vivre avec Scott Gomez, parce qu’il est ici pour encore longtemps”. We have to learn to live with it too. Going on and on about it is such a waste. Guaranteed Labbe will be writing supportive comments at some time in the future when the Gomez line is clicking.

72. TorontoHabsFan says:

So the Giordano signing in Calgary likely makes Ian White available at season’s end. I think he is EXACTLY the kind of player that should replace Hamrlik.

I can’t see him earning much over $3.5m/yr, which means we wouldn’t have a problem giving Markov the (slight) raise he’s likely due on his $5.75m/yr contract.

A Defence that has:

Markov-Subban

White-Gorges

Spacek-??

Would be alright with me, younger, quicker, and tougher than we are currently. I think Gill, as much as I love the lug, is done after this year. O’Byrne/Picard are what they are – 6th/7th Defencemen who are not that difficult to replace if needed.