Month II begins

Red Fisher (right) with Youppi! postgame Saturday at the Bell Centre. “He was a better quote than a rookie,” Fisher later said.

Will November be as good as October was for your Montreal Canadiens?

• Dave Stubbs on Andrei Markov’s return

Surprises through 10 games – Red Fisher

D doing it – Pierre Ladouceur

• Richard Labbé weighs the value of Scott Gomez

• Yvon Pedneault on the first 10 games

• François Gagnon on the players and the Leucan kids

• EOTP assesses October

And an October highlight reel

gK0Mhc8VnKk

1. JD_ says:

If you hear that comment shoutin’ you down, then you are also hearing things that aren’t there.

2. fbkj says:

carolina panthers… OH NOES!!!

3. VancouverHab says:

See, Mr. Boone: this is what we expect and need from you pros. I wish to God we could infuse this level of balance, sense and perspective into you beat writers here.

You guys are supposed to the ballast to the wild pitch and roll of hoi polloi here in the commentariat. Right now it’s the other flippin’ way around.

Bless you, jb…. :–)

4. TomNickle says:

I didn’t include him because I feel Doan is more overpaid and also because I’d rather have Jovo at his salary than Hamrlik at his.

5. TomNickle says:

This list is inciting the reaction I was looking for.  There are a few teams in the league who you could argue manage their money better.  But I have to say, based on what we get from our overpaid player, the only player I’d rather have who is on this specific list is Eric Staal.

6. TomNickle says:

Funny rationalization considering Max hasn’t played centre much this season, certainly not more than a few shits.

7. joeybarrie says:

I agree, what the worst for me is how hard I am campainging for Gomez, as if I was his agent, or his number 1 fan. His Contract is high and it is ridiculous. But that does not make it a bad trade nor does it make him a negative player on this team. We paid Gionta 109k per point last season and made him captain. We paid Gomez 123k and made him the worst thing the Habs have ever done…

That irks me, people saying how HUGE a mistake it was, yet we are leading the league and went to the Conf Finals last season..

I understand them, and am just as frustrated with his line as the next guy. But the things people say are on the same level as Trade Price… THEY MAKE NO SENSE.

Remember when we were bashing Cammi cause he couldn’t score in the beginning of the season… I have to tell you, never heard anything bad about Gomez when he was leading us in the playoffs last season.

There is a lack of respect for individuals, and it is based on their salary. That is unfair. The salary aspect is a function of a teams success, however, it is different from the game itself. The players don’t act this way towards Gomez based on his salary, so why should the fans?

Its just so frustrating our fickle fans pick and choose when they love you, and are ready to dump on you the second you make a few mistakes and or have a bad game.

Hamr SAVED this team last season with his play in Markov’s absense, but people credit it to Subban who played in 2 games. This season we hate him, and couldn’t care less what he did for us in the past.

But then they cry about how we treated KOIVU……..  But who cares about Hamr… He isn’t Koivu…. He’s a jacka**…. He deserve to be bashed…  Same with LATS, RYDER, SOURAY, ETC ETC….

People bashing Dagostini, now they are saying we should have kept him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

8. Mattyleg says:

Max’s particular shee-it disturbing skills are also an important factor.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Mattyleg says:

I can dig sportsmanship. When it’s paired with intensity. Otherwise it looks like… well, what I described.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

10. mike g says:

Or maybe because he’s a right-handed centerman.

11. VancouverHab says:

Beautiful! (Especially the Vancouver Canucks part :–)

You know, I am very proud of us here in H-I/O. We have more balanced thinking, less journalistic reactivity and extremism, and plain more fact than the professional sportwriters.

Sorry, Mike: you know that I love you, but you guys are truly discrediting yourselves over this one.

12. HabsoluteFan says:

Long list of horrible contracts…As much as I like Gomez, and I think he’s very valuable when he’s on his game, there’s still a few players on that list I’d rather have on my team.

There’s still a whole lot of hockey to be played and I expect we will see him put up more points. Right now the team is doing well and I’m not too worried about Gomez and Gionta as I think they’ll break out of their slumps.  I still understand people who have a hard time with him based on his contracts.  It’s normal to expect more from a guy who makes that much money.

13. TomNickle says:

Max has been borderline elite defensively, and better than Pyatt in my opinion.  It would appear that the coach shares that opinion ;)

14. mike g says:

Pyatt has also been great this year.

One of our best PK players.

Lapierre still lack that “jam” we all expect from him. And in the few games we saw Boyd play, he was more physical than Max.

Not saying Max should sit, I’d say Darche should, but Darche is giving his 100% every shift.

Cant say that about Max yet.

15. Mark C says:

You mean that part of Gomez’ contract isn’t the only dead cap money in the NHL?

This has always been one of my points about Gomez, all teams have some dead money on their cap.  In some ways Montreal is lucky that Gomez is the only long-term dead money contract on the team.

16. HabFanSince72 says:

You’ve gone from being persistently  wrong about hockey to being wrong about semantics.

17. TorontoHabsFan says:

Excellent List. One more:

Phoenix Coyotes – Ed Jovanovski – $6,500,000 annually

18. SeriousFan09 says:

He was a good PKer in 08-09, this year he’s showing his real level again.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

I’d take offence to that but your dog avatar’s too cool to stay mad at ya Bryan :P

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. TomNickle says:

Lapierre has been great defensively this season Mike.

He’s become a very intelligent player.

21. TomNickle says:

Ottawa Senators – Jason Spezza – $7,000,000 annually.

Detroit Red Wings – Brian Rafalski – $6,000,000 annually.

Vancouver Canucks – Roberto Luongo – $5,333,333 annually forever.

New Jersey Devils – Patrick Elias – $6,000,000 annually.

Boston Bruins – Milan Lucic – $4,000,000 annually.

Philadelphia Flyers – Danny Briere – $6,500,000 annually.

Calgary Flames – Jay Bouwmeester – $6,680,000 annually.

Chicago Blackhawks – Brian Campbell – $7,142,875 annually.

Pittsburgh Penguins – Marc Andre Fleury – $5,000,000 annually.

Minnesota Wild – Martin Havlat – $5,000,000 annually.

San Jose Sharks – Patrick Marleau – $6,900,000 annually.

New York Rangers – Chris Drury – $7,050,000 annually.

Anaheim Ducks – Lubomir Visnovsky – $5,600,000 annually.

Toronto Maple Leafs – Dion Phaneuf – $6,500,000 annually.

Los Angeles Kings – Ryan Smyth – $6,250,000 annually.

Buffalo Sabres – Tomas Vanek – $7,142,000 annually.

Columbus Blue Jackets – Kristian Huselius – $4,750,000 annually.

Dallas Stars – Mike Ribeiro – $5,000,000 annually.

Nashville Predators – Martin Erat – $4,500,000 annually.

Carolina Panthers – Eric Staal – $8,250,000 annually.

Florida Panthers – Bryan McCabe – $5,750,000 annually.

Tampa Bay Lightning – Vincent Lecavalier – $7,727,223 annually.

Edmonton Oilers – Shawn Horcoff – $5,500,000 annually.

St. Louis Blues – Brad Boyes – $4,000,000 annually.

New York Islanders – Rick Dipietro – $4,500,000 annually.

Colorado Avalanche – Scott Hannan – $4,500,000 annually.

22. HabsoluteFan says:

That’s fair…so Boyd with Gomez and Gionta ? I’d like to see it, I was impressed with Boyd in the first few games.  He has good hands and is speedy.  For some reason, I’ve got a feeling, ouuhhhh oouuhhhhh, that Darche is gonna be on that line

23. Bryan says:

My post had D-Pairings.  At least I’m still adding some value to the site.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

24. VancouverHab says:

It’s called ‘sportsmanship’, Dude. Happens in soccer at the highest levels of intensity — including World Cup finals.

Another reason I’m glad we have Gomez.

25. mike g says:

Pyatt out, but Lapierre still in?

Um, alright.

Hope that works.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Luck of the draw I guess :)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. mike g says:

Somewhat agree…

Problem is that dumb play by Hamrlik deflates a team. Anyone who’s played competitive hockey will understand.

The game was tied, and we were already dominating them. We weren’t getting that bounce needed to pot the 2nd goal and take the lead, so our confidence was already fragile. Then Roman goes and pull that dumb move, and FLA takes a 2-1 lead.

It’s hard to describe what that does to a team that can’t find a way to pot one in a game they’re dominating. Like I said, out confidence was already weak due to the way the game was going, and that Booth goal spelled the end of any comeback.

That’s the way hockey is sometimes.

28. joeybarrie says:

Funny. What people forget to mention is that Gomez set up a GAME WINNING GOAL, and scored a GAME WINNING GOAL.

I’ll mention it again. Im glad AK had a hat trick last year. He did it in a game we lost. When Gomez produces we win…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

29. Bryan says:

$#@!%

You’re too fast for me SF

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

30. Bryan says:

MAGodin tweeted that Spacek, O’Byrne and Pyatt look to be the scratches for tomorrow night.

Pairings were:

Markov – Picard

Hamrlik – Subban

Gill – Gorges

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

31. joeybarrie says:

How can you say it’s sucking the life out of this team when we are currently on our best run since 1993?

Made the playoffs, went to the Conf Finals and are tied for most points in the LEAGUE…. Since Gomez has joined the team…. Plus let’s remember he and GIO had the most ice time among forwards. Its not like he play 10 minutes a game. Almost 2 minutes per game more than Pleks. His value is there.

You want to take about the Price of Cheese, fine…

But when you make a BIG trade and your team is enjoying the most success since that trade, how can you say that it was a mistake, or that it is the worst part of our team…

The salary is a drain. YES… But he is getting $100,000 per point last season based on this salary.

We are paying AK 80K each point for his production last season…

CAMMI was worth 120k per point last season, Gomez 123k…. NOT A BIG DIFFERENCE.

So if Gomez is a HUGE WASTE at 123k per point. Why is Cammi a great deal at 120K per point.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

32. SeriousFan09 says:

From the twitter of Marc Antoine Godin

“O’Byrne, Spacek and Pyatt seem the likely scratches for tomorrow’s game on Columbus based on this morning’s practice.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

33. VancouverHab says:

“Sucking the life out of the team”??  SD — that’s so far over the top that it’s the Battle of the Somme.

We had A LOT of life in last year’s playoffs — with Gomez (a lot of life in an absolute sense, and positive divinity relative to the last five years: years Before Gomez.)

We have so much life this year that we are in first place–with Gomez.

And if you refer to his contract, then I’ll just say that you (and you are in good company with not only most commentators but all the professional sportswriters) — and I say this with all due respect — are arguing from a position of Zero economic literacy. Every comment that I have read from sportswriters and the amateurs in the comments section here is actually as simplistic and peurile as this: “Gomez contract have BIG NUMBER: Big Number very BAD thing.” No sportwriter that I have read on this topic has any economic intelligence or credential, but that doesn’t stop them from beclowning themselves by their writing. These writers know as much about economic theory as they do about brain surgery–to wit Absolute Zero. Suffice it to say that the size of any one component within a ceiling-asset situation is not in itself fiscally deleterious. The active expenditure dimension is the aggregate total relative to the performance of the fixed capital–i.e. the players.

Dial it back, big guy….Let the Jack Todds of the world look infantile–you have a great reputation to maintain.

I think the real reason we lost to Florida is because we only scored one goal.

35. punkster says:

Rob, my comment was not in any way intended as censorship of you or anyone else with an opposing opinion on the Gomez deal. It is simply my opinion in response to other opinions, yours included, being posted here. I certainly do not attempt to shout people down. Not in my nature.

Look, as I said on the thread last night, we disagree on this subject. Evidence this Labbe article which we view from different angles and reach different conclusions. Hey, maybe we’re both wrong about this and Gomez is Gainey’s long lost love child, half brother to Carey Price, all of which explains so much about this team.

36. RGM says:

Briere gets 3 game suspension for cross-checking Frans Nielsen.

37. RGM says:

Agree to disagree when it comes to Pierre.

On Cherry, he’s one of many tenured folks at the CBC (a certain play-by-play guy is another) that should have been recycled years ago. Does Grapes still bring something to the table? Occasionally, but the man is a spectacle and a living, breathing caricature who cashes in on the fact. Good on him. The stuff that he’s right about is important, and the stuff that he’s wrong about causes considerable amounts of eye-rolling and gnashing of teeth. But it all sells.

38. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. True dat.

I didn’t think it was Gomer who shot the puck. Maybe I’m wrong.

And it was a lob more than anything, from what I remember.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

39. Mattyleg says:

First of all, I don’t agree with “It’s His Faut”-ism. It is a team game, like Slovak says. Carey Price is to blame for letting the puck in. The top two lines are to blame for not scoring more. The checkers are to blame for not checking more. The refs are to blame… actually, I may be on to something there…

I agree that Gionta’s production would boost Gomez’s numbers. Blame isn’t a part of hockey, but I just want Gomez to smarten up a bit is all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. TomNickle says:

There is something we can do about Gomez’s salary Joey.  We can bitch and squeal about how he isn’t any good, lacks intensity, doesn’t care, isn’t funny, isn’t tough, is a liability and has hampered the team for the next four years.

And of course, we would be wrong with all of those statements.

But we could do it anyway.

41. HabsoluteFan says:

Subban talked with Tavares in Wednesday’s game against the Isles and gave him a tap on the pads. Nobody made a big deal out of it because they played together in the WJC.  On the play you’re talking about, Gomez gave a tap on Roloson’s pads because after he shot into his glove, he gave him a little slash on the wrist.  i saw it as a ”sorry, my bad” kinda tap on the pads.

Anyway, the way he’s playing, I don’t know why we’re bashing him for taking a shot on the goalie.  Roloson should’ve tapped Gomez on the pads and said, nice shot Scottie..way better than turning the puck over at the blueline or trying to pass it to Gionta when he’s still sitting on the bench.

42. TomNickle says:

Oh, the six day member has a comment.

Gee, I wonder if this is an alias account for somebody who can’t garner any respect with their current profile.

43. kirkiswork says:

Great post.

44. joeybarrie says:

Richard Labbe weighs in on Gomez. So I read this article and I don’t really understand some people ideology. My French is not great so I might have gotten a few things wrong, but in the end this is my theory…

Gionta three highest scoring seasons were playing with Scott Gomez. 05-06, 06-07, 09-10, and co-incidentally these are the last three years they have played together.

Gomez alone last season was responsible and involved in 27% of our regular season goals and 30% of our play off goals.

Who cares if Gionta came because of Gomez or not. They play well together. They are responsible or involved in 48% of our goals last season together, and a staggering 63% in the playoffs.

Gomez had more ice time than Pleks in the playoffs and his line played more than any other line. During the regular season Gomez averaged ONE SECOND less than Pleks did.

Gomez had points in 90% of the games we won in the playoffs. When Gomez was producing we were winning. The opposite of Kostitsyn last season. Kost has a hat trick in a game we lost. Kost seemed to me anyways to be scoring in games we would lose. I don;t want to take away from what he did last season, but a hat trick in a losing game is useless to the TEAM. My only point here, cause im not bashing Kostitsyn, is that Gomez produces and plays well in games we WIN.

To me how can you not admit this guy is an impact player. Yes his production is not equal to his salary. We cannot do anything about it, and I have yet to hear a better solution at the time to his position. I look at it this way

Gionta – Gomez – Pouliot (who only played half the season) 55 goals, good for 25% of the teams production

Cammi – AK – Pleks                                                         66 goals, good for 30% of the teams production

GIO LINE  makes 13.5 million

Pleks line  14.2 million

These numbers are not off. They are where they are supposed to be. So worrying about Gomez salary is one thing, but saying that his value to the team is not significant to me is pretty stupid. Especially when Plekanec makes 2.3 million less and Gomez has twice the amount of points in his career and his average is considerable higher than Pleks. Gomez has been pretty consistent with his assists and thats what we have him for. The trade included Pyatt, which at this point I would take over Higgins ALONE.

I ask you this… You have a player like Shawn Horcoff. 5.5 million 37 points. David Booth averages 47 points a season playing on 82 games 4.2 million a season. Risk Nash averages 60 points a season…. 7.8 million.

Now Gomez averages 73 points a season and had 73 points for us last season… His salary doesn’t look so bad. He performs consistently in the Playoffs…. Nash has only 3 points in his career in the playoffs. WHO CARES IF HIS TEAM ONLY WENT TO THE PLAYOFFS ONCE IN EIGHT YEARS. Thats my point….. Gomez’ teams go to the playoffs and he does well in the playoffs. His teams WIN in the playoffs.

In the end if you can really say the guy who had 2nd most play off ice time among forwards, 3rd most play off points, 9th in the league for play off assists, and 2nd in the league in playoff assists excluding teams in the Stanley cup finals. He was 20th in the league for reg season assists. If you can say this guy is not a VERY important part of your success, than you are simply BLIND.

Yes he is overpaid. But so is 20% of the league. Yes his production is sucking this season. But last season it took Cammi 10-15 games to show his value. No one want to get rid of him. Despite the fact he is getting paid 1.3 million less and still had 9 points less in the reg season. Why cause when it counted he put the puck in the net. SO DOES GOMEZ. YES he doesn’t score, but Gionta does, and it’s cause of Gomez.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. TomNickle says:

Right, it’s a bad trade because you and two analysts and one general manager say so.

You don’t like Gomez, we get it.  It doesn’t make the trade bad.  Then again, if you’re so short sighted that you’re going out of your way to make your decision about a trade that can’t truly be evaluated for another three years then you aren’t nearly as intelligent as you like to make yourself out to be.

46. habs4real says:

forgot to take your meds again!

47. mike g says:

Hamrlik was the man to blame for the loss to FLA…

If you wanna point the finger to one guy, it’s him. Not Gionta’s 100 missed opportunities (in which Gomez would have gotten some PTS and +/- value), it’s Hamrlik’s fault.

For some strange reason, that Czech man figured he was Bobby Orr and was gonna deke the whole Panthers team. Too bad he only made it passed one out of 5 players, caused a massive turnover while the Habs were changing lines, and sent David Booth in all alone on a breakaway/penalty shot.

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but if you wanna act cool and be Bobby Orr, make sure your team’s not changing lines. And even worse, it was done in the 2nd period when the Habs have the long change.

Dumbass move by Hamrlik that cost us the game.

48. TomNickle says:

You saw a tap.  I honestly didn’t see it.  It can be only one of two things, either a shot at Roloson intended to upset him or just telling him he made a nice save.  I don’t think telling the opposing goalie he made a nice save takes any intensity out of somebody’s game.

49. SlovakHab says:

How’ bout Gionta scoring more than once on his 44 shots and having another scoring winger on the left flank..?

I bet Gomez would have way more assists and people wouldn’t be complaining so much.

It’s a team game, for Pete’s sake..

50. Mattyleg says:

I dunno, I’ve put together some pretty bad ones… drunken posting is a terrible thing.

I’m just frustrated with him. So he fought a few times last season. So did Goerges Laraque. And as that example shows, fighting is not always a real indication of intensity.

Gomez skates like mad, don’t get me wrong, he wins the speed award every shift, but he seems to have caught the Kovy-bug of starting the play, skating around, and losing the puck -only faster.

I was just annoyed at him boosting the other goalie. Have you ever seen that before? Do you think it’s indicative of anything, or is it fine and dandy?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. SmartDog says:

Now let’s compare Gomez’s cap hit to Higgins.  Or Subban’s shoe size to the price of cheese!  Whatever.  The trade was dumb and it’s still sucking the life out of the team.  Hopefully the rest of the team is strong enought to make up for it, but the guy’s salary is a terrible drain and the guy himself is irritating.

52. mike g says:

Sort of, yea…

But Prime Minister G wouldn’t use fancy words like “audit”. I’d call it, “watch list”. So much simpler and easier for the public to understand. Little changes like that is why Mike G should be PM.

Anyhoo, I’d tell McGuire to move to the States. He alreasy works for NBC and has a segment with Milbury. That’s enough to dumb-you down to an IQ of -13.

53. SmartDog says:
    FROM Dictionary.com for CENSOR:

- an adverse critic; faultfinder

Trying to shout other people down (supervise, find fault, criticize for talking about something) IS censorship.  The post is practically shouting… you can’t read it without hear that.  It’s sarcastic, and most of what it says is mean-spirited.

You won’t ever find me on here shouting people down just for talking about something they care about as long as that something is about the Habs.  Skip the posts you don’t like.  It’s that simple.

54. Mattyleg says:

Roman Hamrlik has more points in fewer games and a better +/- than Gomez.

Forget the contract, I’m talking production.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

55. TomNickle says:

We wonder about Gomez’s intensity?  He fought three times last season.

This is the worst post you’ve ever put together.

56. TomNickle says:

Nobody want to talk about Hamrlik being the cause of another opposition GWG?

Just want to focus on Gomez’s contract, how he isn’t scoring or how he doesn’t try?

Okay.

57. Say Ash says:

Cherry and McGuire would be on the audit short-list under Prime Minister G’s reign, I gather?

58. TomNickle says:

In those seven games, they’re all winnable and 4 of 7 would be good.  5 of 7 would be great.  3 of 7 would be disappointing but not the end of the World.

59. mike g says:

Don Cherry is high up in the hockey community here in Canada…

Everywhere he goes he gets large crowds to follow him. Does that make him a better “hockey guy” than others, no.

Pierre McGuire is a loud-mouth douche. That’s it, that’s all.

He used to be good, before the MONSTER fame got to his big-a*s bald head. Now, all he does is rant on about irrelevant facts and stuff, trying to show that not only does he know where each and every player went to school college, university, and took a dump last night, but he also knows who their parents are, where they work, where they live, etc…

I’m not sure about you, but when I’m watching a hockey game that stuff doesn’t impress me one bit. If I want hockey info, I trust Bob Mckenzie.

If I’m in the mood to laugh at a giant dork who looks like he got beat everyday in high-school, and who thinks he’s the smartest man in all of hockey just because he knows where Sidney Crosby last ate dinner, then I’ll go to Pierre.

He’s the most irrelevant hockey man out there. Watch TSN, and you’ll see when he’s on the panel everyone is annoyed of his rude and arrogant attitude.

60. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’ve got a question for you all that I’ve been waiting to ask since Friday night:

– Did anyone else see Gomez tap Duane Roloson’s pad as he skated past him after the goalie made a glove save?

What the hell is up with that??? Perhaps I’m wrong, but this isn’t House League, where the guys on the opposition are in your class at school. This is the NHL. A Competitive League.

We wonder enough as it is about Gomez’s lack of intensity, and now we have him giving props to opposition goalies! He seems to have gone from not shooting at them -perhaps for fear of scoring and hurting their feelings- to boosting them!

Nice Guy Scottie has to drop his ‘good time’ attitude and start showing some balls. Seriously.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. Say Ash says:

Pyatt’s been a welcome surprise, too.

62. TorontoHabsFan says:

He has the added bonus of actually having a decent point shot for the 2nd PP unit.

(Granted I haven’t seen too much of Calgary since he joined them, but if he’s played at all like he did in Toronto, then he’d be an excellent addition to our blue line…)

63. JD_ says:

If you see censorship in that comment, you’re seeing things that aren’t there.

64. TomNickle says:

Why don’t we compare Gomez’s production to the production of Higgins.  I’ll go out on a limb and say Gomez has been more productive.  I’m sure somebody will come up with a stupid argument that Higgins is a better player.

Valentenko has played in 0 NHL games and is part of an organization with a crowded defense group with a lot of up and coming talent where he won’t fit in.

Ditto for McDonagh.

Since Gomez’s acquisition we’ve gone to the Eastern Conference final and are off to a good start this season.

If he plays the way he has to start the season for the remainder of his next four years here, then people might be correct in saying that it was a bad trade.  But to date, it’s been a good one.

65. mike g says:

According to a few websites, not sure how credible, the Devils asked Elias to lift his NTC….

And, he quickly said no.

You know, ESPN or a US network that actually cares about hockey, should follow around the Devils this year and make a reality series based on their 99 problems.

And it should be called, “How Hell Fell”, or “HHF” for all those abbreviation-addicted Americans…

66. SlovakHab says:

From 9th to 24th of November..:

Games against Vancouver, Boston, Philly, LA, Toronto, Carolina and Nashville.

Get out of that sequence with a .500 or above record and I’m a happy camper.

67. SmartDog says:

Ah, the voice of the excited censor.

On an unrelated topic, I’m not sure why everyone hates McGuire.  Sure he says some irritating things, but he knows hockey better than most analysts and his passion for the sport is unquestionable.

68. SlovakHab says:

I like Ian White and he’s been really solid with the Leafs, but might be reluctant to sign with us for the very same reason.

Otherwise, he would be a really good addition!

69. RGM says:

“Pierre McGuire, a man who most here wouldn’t ask for the time of day”

Pierre McGuire is one of the most respected and insightful hockey analysts in the game today, and “most here” are commenters on a message board. Just because some don’t like him doesn’t invalidate many of the very intelligent things he says. Does he put his foot in his mouth from time to time? Of course. Is the bombast a little off-putting? Occasionally. But that doesn’t cancel out his standing within the hockey community.

70. punkster says:

Spaceman is Hurcules. He needs no partner!

71. punkster says:

The continuing angst over the Gomez trade. Will people ever learn to get over it? Now we have another article that can be touted as truth, fact and proof that the deal was, and is, no good.

FFS people, it’s an sports writer’s article. He flipped a coin. Heads, I write an article supporting the Gomez deal. Tails I trash it. It came up tails this time. He can make a case for either side.And for this article he builds upon 2 very shakey pillars.

First, his entire position now rides on the “fact” that neither Gionta or Gill came here because of Gomez. But did you all forget that this myth was debunked almost a year ago. Did you? Why is this suddenly “new proof”? Then second, to add credibility to his new position he quotes that paragon of hockey analysts, Pierre McGuire, a man who most here wouldn’t ask for the time of day.

No matter what you believe even Labbe says it at the end of the article: “Le Canadien va devoir apprendre à vivre avec Scott Gomez, parce qu’il est ici pour encore longtemps”. We have to learn to live with it too. Going on and on about it is such a waste. Guaranteed Labbe will be writing supportive comments at some time in the future when the Gomez line is clicking.

72. TorontoHabsFan says:

So the Giordano signing in Calgary likely makes Ian White available at season’s end. I think he is EXACTLY the kind of player that should replace Hamrlik.

I can’t see him earning much over $3.5m/yr, which means we wouldn’t have a problem giving Markov the (slight) raise he’s likely due on his $5.75m/yr contract.

A Defence that has:

Markov-Subban

White-Gorges

Spacek-??

Would be alright with me, younger, quicker, and tougher than we are currently. I think Gill, as much as I love the lug, is done after this year. O’Byrne/Picard are what they are – 6th/7th Defencemen who are not that difficult to replace if needed.

73. SmartDog says:

Good article by Labbe. Once a defender of the Gomez move he says he now sees the light.  Read it!  He can show it to you too and you can drop this foolishness that Gomez is in ANY WAY good for the CH.

He FINALLY and totally debunks the idea that other players came here because of Gomez.  And no, Gomez (he conceeds) is NOT an impact player.  And YES, he is in decline. And YES, the salary is an anchor around the team.   If you think the deal was smart because Gainey knows more than me (and the other sane people on the site), consider what other GM’s thought….

“All the leaders of the NHL were in shock when this exchange was then announced. I do not know one CEO who thought the Rangers would be able to exchange Scott Gomez. Not one. “

And I’ll add this: Gomez is NOT a leader.  Does he wear the “C”?  No.
    does he wear an “A”?  No.  He’s a nutbar. A fun interview because a very quirky
    guy. But could you see him LEADING your team?  That’s laughable.

I’m all for the success of the Habs, and that’s why Gomez SUCKS.  He’s the one biggest thing wrong with the team.  That salary and his poor performance and I-don’t-give-a-crap attitude make him the one big negative on a team that is showing a lot of positives.

74. SeriousFan09 says:

And there’s the SD post I can set my watch to.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

75. scrowe21 says:

Yea yea…His salary sucks, he’s been playing pretty bad this year, but he’s also put quite a few goals on his linemates sticks that were not cashed in. He could easily have 7 or 8 assists by now.

76. G-Man says:

Enough about the Gomez contract. That’s 16 months you’ve been repeating it.

77. Gormdog says:

I agree on your assessment of Gomez’ leadership abilities (makes a great mood breaking 4th or 5th in command), but i have do disagree with your final debunkment that other players did not come here in part because of Gomez.

Players want to be percieved as people that come to help the team and that love the city. Oh and having success on the ice helps as well. But to point at statements from players and agents that say “we did not come here solely for Scott Gomez”and go “AH HA! I KNEW IT” is really not an effective argument…

If ANY of the aforementionned players, whether they truly think that way or not, really DID only come for Scotty G (not “only”, but you know what I mean, as in some sort of organizational statement), i would 100% not expect them to say as much. Would be entirely insulting to Gainey/Gauthier/The City of Montreal… It’s like saying “yeah, your team is ok, i guess, nothign special, but when you signed that ONE GUY it really changed my view of things”

Just because they say it, does not make it true. I would say it is very likely that Gomez had a HUGE impact on Gionta signing here, but of COURSE Gio would never say that! He’s here to play for the Montreal Canadiens, not to pad his stat totals! (A winger will NEVER forget the center who led him to his best seasons ever)

C’mon Smart Dog, ain’t no debunkin’ here!

78. TomNickle says:

We have defensemen on this team who can’t hit, cover, clear our zone or even pass the puck to each other and your target is the highest paid player.

Respect for you diminishes every day on this site with this rambling about Gomez.

Quoting General Managers around the league can be a poor way to make your point when you consider who some of those general managers were at the time.  Burke?  Murray?  Chiarelli?  Lawton?

Considering the amount of respect there is around the NHL for Bob Gainey.  I would bet my ass that the comments were made by Burke or Lawton.

Gomez has made our team better and we aren’t scrounging for money.

79. SmartDog says:

I remember that.

My point is just because an NHL coach made the decision doesn’t mean it wasn’t a mistake.  Martin knows 100 times what I ever will about hockey, but like everyone he still makes mistakes.  And Stubbs seems similary “worked up”.  Might’ve cost us the game.

80. twocents says:

Dog, the reaction you get, and I will only speak for myself, has very little to do with questioning the coach. In fact, I find your suggestion that I think it innaproapriate to do so quite insulting and unfounded. Where have I said don’t question Martin? I do it all the time. In fact, I did it immediately Saturday night when Markov was absent from that 5 on 3.

The fact is my reaction to your approach has everything to do with the use of works like dumb, crazy and stupid, and that you imply there is only two choices of how to see the move. You ignore that we aren’t privy to all the information needed to deem this move as ”dumb” and that type of approach often leads to strong, and in the end, uninteresting responses.

Hunches are a large part of coaching and when you deal with hunches they are not always going to work out. The Habs record so far this season suggests Martin’s hunches have been for the most part astute. I find it reactionary to get worked up about a single, though obvious, counter-intuitive hunch.  Maybe Martin thought, “This PP is really important and we have to score, I can’t afford to use tghis opportunity to let Markov work out the kinks in his shot foprm the point… I’ve noticed Cammy is shooting well, he also has some jump and is due….”

As I said before, until Martin does this repeatedly, I find it nothing more than odd. Odd enough to warrant a journalist asking questions about it, but that’s their job and them doing so does not prove the move is stupid, dumb, or crazy. It proves Stubbs is doing his job and I appreciate that.

81. scrowe21 says:

I think MAB , as bad as he is defensively, is still better then Weber..unfortunately.. and has a better shot.

82. JF says:

I’m afraid Markov won’t be the answer on the powerplay.  His creative passing should open the door for more down-low opportunities, but we’re still missing the big point shot without which we have not been successful in the past few seasons.  First Souray, then Streit, then Schneider, then Bergeron.  Spacek was brought in to fill that hole, but it didn’t work.  I think two goals were scored all last season off his point shot, one a deflection by Cammalleri late in a game, the other the go-ahead goal in Game 6 against the Penguins.  This season Subban has been blasting off point shots, but they mostly miss the net or hit the goaltender’s chest.  Gorges seem to have an accurate shot, but has never scored much.  I’d like to see point shots being directed very slightly wide and with a bit less mustard on them so a big body parked by the net could tip them in.  A point shot that hits the goaltender usually ends up coming out of the zone and often starts a rush the other way.  It rarely does anything but waste time.

We may still have to make a move to find that elusive point shot; if not Marc-André Bergeron (and there are obvious reasons why not), then maybe giving Yannick Weber a shot, although he is also not great defensively.

83. RGM says:

While a good summation, outside of the bits regarding Gill and Gionta are new information, there’s not a lot in the Labbe article that most people don’t already know or at least feel regarding Gomez. Ultimately, and I’ve said this many times, every conversation about him and his contributions and his value to the team will revolve around the contract. It’s the pink elephant in the room, the 800 pound gorilla. There’s not many a GM–real or armchair–in the NHL that wouldn’t want Scott Gomez at $3M-$4M per season. If there were ever an argument to get rid of guaranteed contracts in the NHL, Gomez is the poster boy (with Redden, Campbell, and perhaps even Luongo as the supporting cast) for that position.

I’ve tried to get past the contract and the numbers that do not merit the dollars, and focus on the intangibles that he brings to the team, the stuff that doesn’t necessarily show up on the scoresheet. It’s getting increasingly difficult to do that. It’s nothing against Gomez the player or the person, he didn’t put a gun to Sather’s head and demand $7.3M per year on average, but his play on the ice isn’t at the level that it needs to be at. Yes he’s still wheeling through centre ice and over the blue line, but the execution in the offensive zone is sorely lacking.

There’s been a lot of talk recently around here about the “price for Halak was Plekanec” and all that. If Gomez’s huge dollars weren’t eating up 12% of our cap space, the equation changes. It’s all counterfactual and speculative, but perhaps if that trade isn’t made the Habs sign another marquee free agent on 7/1/09 and we enter this season with both Price/Halak or just Halak instead of Price. We’ll never know that answer, of course, but it does make for fun food for thought. Even looking forward, what player(s) will we be unable to (re-)sign in the future because of that contract? Time will tell.

84. SmartDog says:

Very good post.  Each decision affects other decisions….you can’t ignore that, and this was a huge one that is still rippling through the team.  I wish the guy could just PLAY BETTER.  But that’s like wishing for Hal Gill to start to score goals.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

RGM – A great read.  The Halak for Pleks rationalization is pure fabrication.

86. SmartDog says:

He could easily have 7 or 8 assists by now.

Yeah, and PK Subban could have 10 goals.  Honestly, this kind of statement I find ridiculous.

87. scrowe21 says:

Lol true, but I guess my point was that he doesn’t deserve to be singled out and bashed all day, its not just him who is having bad luck. His contract is unfortunate, but he is a good player, and once Gionta and Pouliot start cashing in on those goals you wont be hating him so much.

and my statement made a bit more sense than yours, If PK could have ten goals by now, its his problem or bad luck that they didn’t go in….Ive counted numerous times where Gomez made a beautiful pass to his linemates that should have gone in, thats more their fault than it is his. He was doing his part..he’s not a goal scorer,but im still very thankful that his garbage goal went in on Fleury…God I hate the Penguins.

88. habsguy says:

your statement already makes more sense than the Dogs.  He was a big part of our playoff run lastyear,  and I’m sure once Gio starts converting he’ll be a big part of this year…The Dog never lets up,  everyday he’s on Gomez,  say and repeating the same crap,  actually alot of other posters as you can see are getting quite sick of him and his crusade!!

89. avatar_58 says:

One could argue if he were feeding Cammy, Plek or AK they’d be in the net. Think about it.

90. SmartDog says:

You’re welcome.

The Labbe article is too good to skip over.

Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

The ten game mark might be a little early to evaluate trends but a few things seem pretty evident. Most Hab players are off to a solid start. Only a few veterans have failed to find their mark so far this year. The most encouraging sign has to be the play of netminder, Carey Price.

At the beginning of the year, the Habs were rated as a good team that could make the playoffs and maybe win an opening round. A trip to the finals was basically a pipe dream. That may still be true, but I think there is one significant change that gives us a step up in the rankings since September – that change is the quality of our goaltending (in terms of pre-season expectations).

A stellar performance from a goalie who gets hot in the playoffs can help elevate a team to heights beyond their normal expectations. If Price can build on his great start then he just might be the man who can pull that off. Other teams may have stars on their rosters or a better top six up front. However, if you take an objective look at the other contenders, I think it’s fair to say that we are in good shape. I only see one team that may have the edge on us in net.

Pittsburgh – Fleury is a good, but not great, goaltender. He did have two stellar playoff runs but he also can be very ordinary. Price can certainly hold his own against this guy.

Washington – Varlamov and Neuvith are two great, young goalies. They both could use some more experience, especially seeing they have to play in front of a team that is free wheeling. I can’t see either one of them being better than Price right now. Although collectively they do have an advantage in case of injury.

Philadelphia – Strictly a case of quantity over quality as the Flyers try and stay under the cap. I’ll give Leighton credit for last year, but the chances of him out dueling Price are slim. His biggest advantage is the team that is front of him. In many ways, the Flyers have the best skaters in the Eastern Conference.

Boston – Task and Thomas (together) are as good, if not better, than Price. The fact that the Bruins have two solid guys gives them an advantage. In a perfect world, Boston gets knocked out by some other team so we don’t have to give up the Price advantage in any Bruin-Hab playoff tilt.

New Jersey & Tampa – In the end, both these teams will be long shots to go to the final. Brodeur is now starting to show his age and might have a tough time beating Price over a seven game series. Smith and Ellis (along with Tampa’s D) won’t be able to compete against a hot Carey Price.

I wish we had another forward and defenseman who had some size and major league grit. Those two additions would really put us in the mix to go to the finals. G&G might be able to add one more piece at the deadline but certainly not two. There are no longer any dominant teams in the East, so it’s all up for grabs this spring. If Price can build on his great start (hasn’t let in a softie since the first few in Toronto), then it might just be enough to put us over the top.

92. HabFanSince72 says:

You’re a bit of an optimist. Having the better keeper on paper doesn’t mean much. See Halak vs Leighton, 2010 playoffs.

At this moment I don’t see the Habs troubling Boston, Philly or Washington in a 7 game series.

93. TommyB says:

Thanks for that post. It’s nice to see the goaltender topic is swinging from “how the Habs goalies compare to each other” to “how the Habs goalies compare to those on other teams”! And, you did a pretty good job of it. I think the key for Price is for him to get lots of work. You look back on that incredible year he had leading up to, and ending with, the Calder Cup win, and you recall that the kid played a lot of hockey. Now, with a few years of “growing” into a hockey hotbed such as Montreal, and the distractions that come with it, it may well be that Price is ready to settle down and become the factor that sold Habs management on him the day they called his name at the draft table. I’ve been in Price’s corner from day one. Watching his ups and downs, fortunes and misfortunes, in a Habs sweater. And I like what I am seeing from him this year. It looks like he has decided to focus on his career, and he is being given the opportunity, and the vote of confidence, to become that stabilizing factor between the pipes that Montreal’s style of play so desperately needs.

I was a little apprehensive in my confidence in Auld. I did not know much about him prior to his coming to Montreal, and from what I saw of him in pre-season I was less than impressed. Auld played very well in his only game thus far this season, so I feel a little more comfortable now. Admittedly, one game doesn’t mean all that much, but neither did the pre-season games. Give Price all the work he can handle this year, and spot Auld just enough games to keep him interested, and it looks to me that your perspective on “the Habs goalies versus the other teams goalies” will ring true.

94. SmartDog says:

It’s the gift that keeps on giving.

95. SeriousFan09 says:

Did the Gomez contract complicate it? Certainly, but I would point out that going into the 2009-10 season, we didn’t have much gurantee that Pleks would turn into our MVP forward after the abysmal 08-09 season. MTL needed a pivot that could work with guys like Gionta and Cammalleri, who were they going to turn to, Lapierre set to have his own regression year, Glen Metropolit?

The Gomez trade was giving up little in assets (save cap space) for a pivot that could play with our forwards. I would say the Halak trade was made in the interest of maintaining the overall balance of the team, adding some depth while not sacrificing in the areas that had to be strengthened to make the next leap forward. A gamble? But so was keeping Pleks on as a Top-2 centre following last season if he busted out. We will never know what Halak would have cost in MTL either because 3.75 in STL is not 3.75 in MTL as we all know and Allan Walsh does love to make a publicity war out of everything and I don’t think Gauthier was willing to deal what that crank long-term.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Robert – This is what the Summit is all about – sitting down and debating the real Hab issues of the day (although the noise level at Hurley’s will kill off any chance of conversation).

I feel that G&G had made up their minds to trade Halak long before the season ended.  The fact that he got them into the playoffs (and won two rounds) was the icing on the cake.  Price was their man, plain and simple, even if Halak would have signed for the exact same coin.  Walsh – much ado about nothing.

The Gomez contract is very similar to the Campbell deal.  Both teams thought these deals were necesssary evils that had to be done, knowing full well what the future cost would be. As mentioned before, there are lots of other teams that have crappy contracts (Spezza, Savard, Drury, Timonen) just like Gomez’s.  It’s a reflection of the steep learning curve that goes hand in hand with the new CBA.

97. TomNickle says:

Gomez’s contract complicated the Halak/Plekanec/Price situation no more than Hamrlik’s contract, Spacek’s contract, Gill’s contract, Markov’s contract.  I think you know what I’m sayin.

This is a house of cards, not one cheerleader at the bottom of a pyramid.

People are shocked Walsh didn’t get a phone call about a contract extension.  Perhaps the Habs might have been willing to deal with Halak if he’d fired Walsh two months prior to the Olympics.

98. avatar_58 says:

I think Gomez makes too much money.

Has this been mentioned here before?

99. TommyB says:

Not in the last 30 seconds…no.  But I’m sure there will be a 5 question poll coming up very soon that will target Gomez in at least 3 of those questions.  Hang in there.

100. Former Jets Fan says:

I haven’t given him a cent yet, and I don’t plan on changing that!

101. habs4real says:

we’re all oblivious to that.

102. RGM says:

This is how things are in a salary cap world – Trade Acquisition/Free Agent Signing A will always affect Potential Signing B and will trickle down all the way to Must Re-Sign Core Player T. It is something that continues to astound me when I look at the way some GM’s around the League have assembled their rosters. Pittsburgh will always have shoddy wingers because of the money going to Crosby/Malkin/Staal/Fleury. We saw what happened to Chicago this past summer because of Tallon’s mishandling of the RFA contracts in the summer of 2009. Every team supposedly retains a “capologist” on the payroll to assist with these things, yet why are teams like the Devils continually screwed, and now likely to have to lose one of Zajac/Parise/Langenbrunner in the next couple years to accomodate the Kovachuk contract? It boggles the mind!

Back to Gomez – I think that the maximum for him will be 20-50-70 for the foreseeable future, and those targets are jeopardized by the continual revolving door on the wing and Gionta’s early-season slump. That line simply MUST get going or we’re going to be losing a lot of 3-1 games this year. We can’t always rely on the Darche line to provide our offence. LOL

103. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Really? I thought the team showed last year that anything is possible in a playoff series. I’m pretty sure that if we played Washington in the playoffs this year, our team would feel pretty good about it and Washington would be the team with pressure to not be beaten again. We would most definitely give them trouble.

104. avatar_58 says:

Yes but on paper Washington and Pittsburgh were the better teams. That’s why “on paper” means jack

105. Former Jets Fan says:

I think a team with Scott Gomez as its #2 centre can win a Stanley Cup.  It was a terrible trade, Gainey’s most impatient and imprudent move, but we can still work with it.  All indications are the cap will rise next season too!  Nobody here was ever under any pretentions of getting full value on his contract, but he has his uses.  (I was and continue to be more worried long-term about the Gionta signing though)  To get all of what Gomez has to give at this stage of his career, you have to put 55-60 goals on his wings.  Gionta and whomever won’t get you that.  Kostitsyn and Pouliot (my preference) or Kostitsyn and whomever might though.  Brother Andrei needs to prove something this season, and has shown himself to be more engaged in every facet of the game than during even his one hot streak last season (games we always seemed to lose anyways).   He’s shooting more, and he’s carrying the puck more.  Plekanec’s line is just that – Plek’s line, and Kostitsyn would have more responsibility and opportunity with Gomez.

Gionta seems like he could benefit from some of those absolute gimmes that Plekanec is able to dish out (see: Moen’s shortie).  Cammalleri will have his moments, but thus far, he’s mostly trying to pick corners and sending pucks rapping around the boards back into his own end.  How about he heed Don Cherry’s advice and send some low shots in so that his feisty captain and new linemate in this scenario can battle for rebounds and get his own touch back?

I feel much better about the Gomez team with the 25 year old Price and the 23 year old Subban and Eller than this one he’s on now – the prior doesn’t include Hamrlik and Spacek – but they will get some invaluable playoff experience and perhaps surprise again this season.  And for the time being, it’s a much better fan experience cheering for a team that carries the play more than it spends hemmed in its own end as we suffered last season.

106. SmartDog says:

Sorry to disappoint.

Unless the questions are about who sucks the most, Gomez doesn’t get top billing in 5 Questions.

107. TommyB says:

Really?  I know I am getting on in years, and my memory does fail me occasionally, but Gomez does come up in your polls.  Anyway, it was just a playful poke.  Not meant to offend.

Hey, incidentally, not really hockey related (well, sort of)….I missed Saturday night’s game because we went to see Cesar Millan at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton.  You know, the Dog Whisperer.  The crowd went wild when Cesar jumped out onto the stage wearing a Bulldog’s sweater.  It was pretty cool.  Anyway, Cesar as you may know is Mexican, and there were a few golden retrievers on stage throughout the performance as well.  So, at one point I did some whispering of my own.  Under my breath I whispered to myself…”if he mentions Gomez, I’m outta here!”

108. Psycho29 says:

Nice to see they got Red Fisher and Jack Todd to pose for a picture together!!

109. SeriousFan09 says:

Post of the day.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

110. SlovakHab says:

That’s an insult to Youppi!, who looks like a likeable guy to me, lol :))

111. TommyB says:

What you say does make a lot of sense, and that doesn’t necessarily mean that the “other view” doesn’t make sense.   But I’ll side with your view because, IMO, it seems to me that Gainey didn’t only have to re-make the roster.  He also had to re-make the room.  To achieve this, he had x-amount of dollars to spend.  It didn’t really make that much difference how he divided up that pie as long as he achieved his purpose.  I feel that he did achieve that purpose, and Gomez is an important element towards that end.   Gomez might not be big stud goal scorer most players in his salary range are, but for anyone to suggest he has no leadership skills, or importance on and off the ice, is just putting the blinders on and hiding behind the salary issue.  Gomez is a very good two-way player, and anyone who forgets his determined play during last year’s playoffs really has a short memory.  Hockey writers, or TV analysts, do not sign Gomez’s paycheques.

112. SmartDog says:

Did you read the Labbe article?  The quotes were that it was NOT A FACTOR.  That the players were very interested in Montreal because it was the Montreal Canadiens.

Seriously… I’m going to play with Scott Gomez!

VS

I’m going to play for the Montreal freakin’ Canadiens!

Which one does a mature NHL’er say?  Again, besides which the article is clear.

113. Gormdog says:

Unfortunatly we’ve seen over and over again that just “playing for the freakin’ canadiens” isn’t enouh for most top tier NHLers…

My point was that obviously the players WONT say Gomez was a part of the decision process – does not mean that he wasn’t!

Do you REALLY think getting to play with Gomez wasn’t a MAJOR faction in Gio signing with us?

114. mike g says:

” Now there’s rumors that Iggy may be on the move. That he might not get along with Brent. That he could be part of the problem instead of part of the solution. Judging by Jarome’s history it seems very unlikely. Of course judging by the relationship between Dion Phaneuf and Darryl Sutter until mid-season last year it was absurd to think that Dion would be traded.”

————————– —————————–

Dear Mr Gauthier,

GET THIS GUY NOOOWWWWW!!!!!

RIGHT F’KIN NOW!

NOW, NOW, NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!

Thanks for considering,

Mike G.

115. fbkj says:

sure well just squeeze him into our cap, no problem

116. Psycho29 says:

In a heartbeat….depending on who we would give up of course…

117. Storm Man says:

Hmmmmm…. This would never happen, Iggy would never be a hab and I won’t get into details why. I would bet you would have a better shot at becoming the next prime minister before Iggy was ever a Hab.

118. G-Man says:

Keep dreaming- Iggy is a Flame for life.

119. scrowe21 says:

that would be too good to be true..Iggys one of my all time favourites. NEVER gunna happen

120. TomNickle says:

Move Hamrlik and a couple of other pieces out and it’s a non-issue.  Sutter likes Hamrlik, Darryl that is.

It could be done.  And if I were Gauthier, I would do it depending on the desired return.

121. Say Ash says:

Tanguay…Jokinen…Hamrlik?

122. fbkj says:

okay, trade hamrlik for iggy

simple as that :D

123. TomNickle says:

Haha.  No, but I would put Pouliot and a pick or prospect in there.

The prospect could be Maxwell, Pacioretty, Desharnais(hopefully this one).

It could be done.  And if we’re spending to the cap in an effort to compete for the Stanley Cup.  We need a forward like Iginla added to the roster and one of Spacek or Hamrlik to be off of it to get over the hump.  Just my opinion though.

124. fbkj says:

hey from our perspective, get er done, being said would YOU want the return you suggested, for iggy?

125. TomNickle says:

Depends on the total package.  I’m just throwing names out there.

I know that the Flames are going nowhere fast and that it has little to do with Iginla’s contract and a lot more to do with Kiprusoff’s, Stajan’s, Bouwmeester’s and Regehr’s.

If I’m Sutter and Iginla has done what he has for my team, considering all he’s given, I move him so that he has a chance at a career revival.  Good business be damned in the present.  Kids and Vets will see that you did the right thing for a player who emptied his tank for you over the course of his career.

If I’m Sutter I’m asking for a potential top 6 forward(similar to Pouliot), a prospect and a pick, but I would also understand that I would have to take some salary back.

So maybe even Pouliot, Hamrlik, Pacioretty and a 2nd.

126. Storm Man says:

Sorry but the number you have called is not in service please look at the number and try your call again.

127. HabFanSince72 says:

We really don’t have anything to offer for Jarome.

128. TomNickle says:

He traded Phaneuf for Stajan, White and Hagman.

129. Storm Man says:

And???? what is Phaneuf doing for Toronto? Oh right he got the C. I guess C stands for cookie.

130. TomNickle says:

I would take Phaneuf on as a project and give those three up in a heartbeat Tim.

Not enjoying success in Toronto is hardly a fault of Phaneuf’s.

131. Storm Man says:

How is what he does on ice not his fault? I like project’s also but not one with a 7 mil doller price tag.

132. TomNickle says:

Phaneuf, as is, is better than White and Hagman and Stajan are castaways.

Burke won that trade by a landslide when you take into consideration that Sutter can’t re-sign White, the Leafs got Sjostrom and Keith Aulie in the deal and that Hagman was a flash in the pan.

133. Storm Man says:

Not at 7 mil per year he is not. So I would take it as AM79 should be asking for say 9-10 mil per year if you think Phaneuf is that good.

134. kempie says:

You Sir, can count on my vote.

135. Say Ash says:

Issues with Cammi?

136. Storm Man says:

I don’t think the issues with Cammi are that deep. It is hard to say what vaule Iggy has to that team and the city and the only team that I think Calgary would trade Iggy to would be the Canes and Sutter and Skinner and and 1 pick would be coming back. Like I said before I would be casting my vote for Mike G as the next prime minister before a deal that would bring Iggy to Montreal.

137. TomNickle says:

Sutter can’t get that big of a return for Iginla.

138. mike g says:

If I was prime minister….

I’d legalize AND tax that green stuff.

I’d fix roads, build new ones, build hospitals, etc….

I’d lower taxes on the middle-class, and raise the taxes on the rich…

I AM MIKE G.

139. fbkj says:

hey now were already taxed through the ass

boooo

140. Storm Man says:

And more taxes on the french press.

141. mike g says:

Stop Lying…

You’re not rich, ok?

Lie one more time and Mike G will kick you outta Canada.

142. Danno says:

Vote yes for Proposition 19

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

143. fbkj says:

im sure youd fit me into your “rich” percentile just to spite me then send the “happy”  bus my way irregardless :(

144. mike g says:

No, not more taxes…

I’d shut ‘em down if they ever used the words “Lecavalier, Francophone, or Gomez” in a useless manner.

And I swear if they ever said that Lapierre should be on the G-G line, I’d shut ‘em down too.

145. Storm Man says:

Music to my ears….. And by the way I don’t want to pay 29 percent in federal tax. I think 7 percent has a nice sound.

146. TomNickle says:

But he was a Dallas Star at one point!

147. jimmy shaker says:

Iginla for Gomez and Marky for Doughty…..and in a minor deal MAB signed again by the habs.

I like it alot!

Shaker

148. Storm Man says:

Sorry the internet service you have has now been terminated.

149. G-Man says:

Yeah- for 5 minutes.

150. habs4real says:

EXACTLY HOW HAS GOMEZ MADE THIS TEAM BETTER?????????????

can’t wait for your unintelligent answer.

151. SmartDog says:

From Stubbs today:

So
    it was strange, even bizarre with Saturday’s game in the balance and
    Florida leading 2-1, to see him sitting at the end of the bench during a
    lengthy 5-on-3 Canadiens advantage to end the second period and begin
    the third.

Wouldn’t you think that the team’s most imaginative
    power-play talent, with all that open ice on which to create, would be
    leading the charge? “Ask the coach, you know?” Markov said without elaboration when asked why he sat.

So for those who doubted the reasoning of questioning the coach on this, I have this to say: “bbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaaa”.  Don’t be such sheep.  The coach makes mistakes and both Markov and Stubbs think it’s fair to question this one. It’s a no-brainer.

152. twocents says:

The point I was making last night was not that it isn’t strange or questionable, but that there’s very little information to jump to conclusions about this. I even started with…”A strange decision…”. The point is made by Markov too, “ask the coach“. Martin knows why he did it. He can chose not to share his full thoughts on the matter if he wants.

What would be problematic is if he persists in making this decision over a few games stretch. As it stands, once during Markov’s first game back, it remains a curious decision, but hardly something to get all worked up about.

153. scrowe21 says:

Yeap that was a pretty dumb move, I was nervous they were going to give up a shorty to be honest..having Cammy on the point with PK.