Monday phone hearing for Pacioretty

jk11 1126 habs penguins 3rd 0808

Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty makes contact with Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang Saturday night at the Bell Centre.
John Kenney, Gazette

Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty will have a Monday telephone hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, presumably before the Habs fly early afternoon to Anaheim for their three-game West Coast swing with stops in Anaheim, San Jose and Los Angeles.

It’s possible Pacioretty could be suspended for his high hit Saturday on Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang, or being a non-repeat offender, he could get off with a fine. More to come on that tomorrow.

Letang returned non-concussed to score the controversial winning goal in overtime. It was the second-most famous face-bloodied comeback goal on Montreal ice, following a playoff goal scored by Habs’ Rocket Richard. That one has been described as the most dramatic goal in NHL history. I re-created that goal in May 2000 in a special Gazette section upon the death of the Rocket.

As you all discuss Pacioretty and Letang, here’s that story, with a photo from the April 9, 1952 Gazette. A footnote: Bruins goaler Sugar Jim Henry died in 2004.

THE NIGHT A GROGGY ROCKET GOT HOCKEY’S MOST DRAMATIC GOAL

Published May 31, 2000

DAVE STUBBS
The Gazette

“Suddenly everything went black, and the next thing I know, I woke up in the medical room. And I want to tell you, I was still groggy when I scored that goal. I don’t remember it clearly. My legs were all right, but my head was all foggy. I had a hazy idea of what I should do, and I did it.”
- Maurice Richard, April 8, 1952

“That goal,” perhaps better than any he had scored before, or would score in the future, defined the hockey icon we mourn, celebrate and lay to rest today.

In the seventh game of the 1952 Stanley Cup semi-finals against Boston, returning to the Forum ice concussed and bloodied, unaware of his surroundings and driven only by his courage and instinct, Rocket Richard rushed from end to end, through every Bruin, to eliminate Boston with what many consider the most dramatic goal in National Hockey League history.

Montreal Herald sports editor Elmer Ferguson described it on his paper’s front page the next day:

• “A great brown plaster covering a six-stitch cut in his forehead, around which a purpling bruise was forming, blood oozing from a deep scrape on his left cheekbone, Rocket Richard raced the length of the Forum ice, wheeling around a baffled Bill Quackenbush on the Bruins defence, cut in like a meteor and whipped an ankle-high shot past goaler Sugar Jim Henry.”

Through excerpted newspaper stories of the day, as well as reports published years later and a delightful conversation this week with Henry, the goaltender whose own career was defined by this single, transcendental moment, “that goal” we reconstruct here helped shape the Rocket’s cosmic myth.

• Today’s hero – Rocket Richard! Knocked colder than a bailiff’s heart in the second period, he came back stitched, battered, bruised and bleeding and scored the winner.

Henry arrived in Montreal with two black eyes and a broken nose, suffered in Game 6. He spent the day with his trainer, who applied hot and cold towels to his eyes to reduce the swelling.

“Yes, I had two great shiners,” Henry recalls. “I could hardly see.”

The photograph of himself with Richard shaking hands after the game, two battle-scarred veterans paying their mutual respects, is one of the most compelling in hockey.

A print of it is framed, hanging in a place of honour in Henry’s Winnipeg home.

Nicknamed “Sugar” as a boy, a sweet-toothed lad growing up in Brandon, Man., he had been a hero two seasons earlier in Montreal, saving the Rocket from serious injury.

Dumped by a Bruins defenceman deep in Boston ice, Richard slid full-speed toward Henry’s nearly immovable goal, the nets then anchored firmly to the ice.

“It just occurred to me that I couldn’t let Maurice crash into the goalpost – he would have broken his leg, or worse,” recalls Henry, now 69. “So I slid out and let his body hit mine, to protect him.

“He got up and thanked me, as did a few others on the ice. It was the greatest ovation I ever had in Montreal.”

Early in the second period of Game 7 on April 8, 1952, the score tied 1-1, Richard was flattened in a collision with Bruins’ Leo Labine, which sent him into the knee of Boston defenceman Bill Quackenbush. The Rocket was left unconscious, either from the impact with Quackenbush, or when his unhelmeted head struck the ice.

• The Rocket crashed the ice head-first and sprawled there, senseless, a thin trickle of blood staining the ice.

“I had a bird’s-eye view of that one,” Bruins defenceman Hal Laycoe said in The Habs, Dick Irvin Jr.’s excellent 1991 oral history of the Canadiens. “The Rocket didn’t see (Labine). It was a vicious upending. It was amazing that he could come back from something like that and score the kind of goal he did.”

At first it was feared Richard had suffered a broken neck, but finally he came to and was helped, rubber-legged, to the clinic. He passed out again while the team doctor wove six sutures above his left brow.

“What is it they say about those boxers who get hit on the chin early,” Richard asked later, “but fight on, and around the seventh round ask if it’s the second? Is it instinct? I guess that’s what it was with me.”

• Sensing the Canadiens’ heart was broken, the Bruins swung the momentum their way, and more than 14,000 Forum fans were resigning themselves to an inevitable loss without their leader.

And then, late in the third period, the Rocket returned to the Canadiens bench.

“When Richard came from the clinic, he told me he was all right,” Montreal coach Dick Irvin Sr. told reporters. “But he wasn’t just then.”

Yet with fewer than five minutes remaining in regulation time, and perhaps his team’s season, Irvin tapped Richard on the back.

“Rocket was squinting at the scoreboard,” linemate Elmer Lach said later. “It was obvious he couldn’t read it, so I told him it was still 1-1.”

Big Butch Bouchard, traveling on one damaged leg, leaned far forward, tapped the puck with the end of his stick, and slid it over to the circling Rocket.

“Rocket gave everybody in the league trouble,” Henry remembers.

“It was a toss-up between Maurice and Gordie Howe as to who was the best player in the league. But from the blue line in, Maurice was the greatest. He was dynamite.”

Richard scored 82 playoff goals during his career, dozens of them spectacular efforts. Now, with 3 1/2 minutes left in the game, he was a runaway freight train – even if he looked toward his final destination through glazed eyes.

The Rocket picked it up on his blade and was off in full flight. His start was near the outer edge of the big red circle, within the defensive zone, and he was in full cry in a stride or two.

“What a terrifying sight for a goaltender,” Henry says, in awe of the image even today. “There was nothing like the Rocket at full speed.”

While Bruins swung around in pursuit, Richard raced along the right side close to the boards. Experienced Bill Quackenbush moved slowly over as if to block him, but the Rocket feinted, as if to cut into the centre, and Quackenbush swung there.

“Maurice had such a wide shift,” Henry said in Irvin’s book. “Them legs of his would go apart. He just seemed to hop from one leg to the other when he made the shift, always so wide.”

The Rocket had numerous chances to pass the puck, but later said his vision was so blurred he couldn’t make out his linemates, Lach and Toe Blake.

Richard shifted swiftly, past Murray Henderson and Bob Armstrong, cut out again, eluded Real Chevrefils, then swung in like a streak around the startled Quackenbush, cut in straight across the goalmouth and whipped the puck past Henry while going full speed.

“Most people still get one fact wrong,” Henry points out. “They say the Rocket scored through my legs, but he didn’t. He put it in on my glove side. The puck only came out of the net through my legs.”

Elmer Ferguson turned to a fellow writer and muttered, “That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious!”

Richard was mobbed by his teammates, and the Forum exploded.

“The crowd saluted the brilliant play with a roar that shook the building,” The Gazette’s Dink Carroll said. “They threw programs, coins, newspapers, overshoes. It took a squad of seven attendants five minutes or more to clear the ice.”

Billy Reay iced the 3-1 victory with an empty-net goal, sending the Canadiens to a Stanley Cup final they would lose in four straight to the Detroit Red Wings.

In the dressing room, Richard happily greeted his father, but soon collapsed in convulsions, sobbing hysterically from exhaustion, his concussion and nervous shock, before doctors sedated him.

It was two hours before he was able to leave the Forum.

Forty-eight years later, Henry is comfortable with his place in hockey history: he knows his name will forever be recognized not for one of the fine saves he made during a 435-game career, but for one goal against, and a magnificent photo of a bowed, black-eyed, nearly wordless handshake with a bloodied Maurice Richard.

The two men last met in the spring of 1999 at a memorabilia show in Boston, where they sat shoulder to shoulder signing hockey cards.

Henry scolded Richard not just for the goal, but for having scored it on Henry’s wedding anniversary, an occasion he forgot in the heat of the playoffs.

“I feel so sorry for Henri Richard and the Rocket’s family with the passing of Maurice,” Henry says.

“He was a great fella and a great player. We’re all going to miss him. We’ve all lost someone very dear to hockey.”

1. Everlasting1 says:

Since Hitchcock took over coaching duties for the Blues, their record is 7-1-2. Habs could sure use a significant coaching change to try and turn their fortunes around..or not.

——————————————————————-
    Thus sayeth the Lord, “Destroyed I the Amorite before them, whose height was like the height of the cedars, and he was strong as the oaks.” Amos 2:9

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• TOP DAWG says:

Why would the Habs need a real coach when they have Martin?

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• Chuck says:

And the biggest decision he made was to take the lions’ share of the goaltending duties away from your favourite player.

• Everlasting1 says:

Not the biggest decision at all, goaltending hasn’t been a big issue. He has however turned the pk, pp around.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Chuck says:

Jaro’s 3-7-2, and a .895 save%. Considering that he was signed to be their starter, and has now been relegated to backup, I’d say that it’s been a BIG issue.

• Habsolutely says:

E1 has gone into denial regarding his crush on Halak.

• The Dude says:

Actually ,I’d like too thank Halak for that super season he put together for us a couple of years ago! Heck we made it past the 2nd round which is more than I expect we’ll see this year at the old GOLF COURSE!

• Everlasting1 says:

As someone who’s actually watched every Blues game, I can firmly state that goaltending hasn’t been a weakness. You can bait me all you want and post stats that you know I’m very aware of , but the bottom line is that they’re winning now – as a TEAM. That’s all that matters.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

I guess Anaheims’ Jonas Hiller sucks too, posting similar numbers..nothing to do with overall team performance huh?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

Habsolout, crushes are for tweens.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Habsolutely says:

everlastinglobotomy, your crush on Halak is creepy. it’s also scary how you troll a habs fan site and inundate us with Blues news.

• Neverlasting1 says:

Kisses!

While I am not adverse to a coaching change, as Chuck pointed out, having a new coach come here and start playing Budaj may not accomplish the same thing.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Mario Tremblay won his first 11 games as Habs coach. All new coaches get a bump.

Hitchcock was already past it when Columbus sacked him.

2. The_Franchise31 says:

It was not late. It was no blind side, letang had to see him coming when looked up before shooting, it was no an elbow, there was no penalty and the head was not the prime target… Isn’t this a clean hit?

3. smiler2729 says:

Pacioretty would get NO GAMES if he wore Bruins’ colours…

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

4. JohnBellyful says:

If Pacioretty is suspended, shouldn’t the referees be sanctioned as well for missing a foul? Or could it be they’re just as confused as fans are when it comes to deciding what constitutes an illegal hit when it involves the head?

5. DorvalTony says:

It would be a scandal if the victim of one of the more spectacularly vicious and premeditated attempts to injure in the modern era (the Chara attack on Pacioretty) was himself suspended and or fined while Chara literally skates. High farce.

6. Chuck says:

I completely understand and agree that players should be accountable for their actions on the ice, but how come the same standard isn’t required for the referees?

Will there be a phone hearing for the referee whose incompetence directly affected the outcome of a game?

• Habsolutely says:

It is in other leagues where accountability is desired. Other pro leagues review refs performances and have a system of accountability in place. The NHL is a bush league that doesn’t want the refs to be held accountable and wants officials to be able to affect the outcome of games. Any owner or GM who dares speak out against a ref is swiftly met with a hefty fine, which deters any criticism of the officiating and lets the NHL brass perpetuate the myth that NHL refs are infallible.

He may get a congratulatory email from Colon, as opposed to anything else Chuck.

7. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I heard semin to montreal…

8. dhenry1234 says:

Here’s my prediction for Max.

Considering the fact that Chara got no suspension, and the fact that neither did Lucic, it only makes perfect sense that Max WILL be Suspended.

It’ll happen. You heard it here first.

9. Bill says:

I’m not saying Pacioretty shouldn’t be suspended (because I don’t understand the rules and the way Shanahan has handled things) but there IS a difference between the Letang hit and what Chara and Lucik did.

Basically, Pacioretty’s hit, until very recently, would be considered clean. It was an open-ice body check against a puck-carrying player who unfortunately had his head down.

When Chara tried to kill Pacioretty, he didn’t have the puck: that’s an illegal play resulting in injury, and therefore intent to injure. Lucik – come on -had every opportunity to avoid drilling Miller, who is a GOALIE. So what Lucy and Chara did would have always been considered “bad” plays.

If the NHL is wanting to eliminate hits like Pacioretty’s, then suspend him, but I didn’t think the NHL wanted to eliminate clean hits: he didn’t elbow him or target the head, after all.

And if Pacioretty IS suspended … then I really don’t get how Lucik wasn’t suspended, not to mention how Malone didn’t get suspended for his hit on Campoli.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• geo_habsgo says:

LOL “When Chara tried to kill Pacioretty”
      Made me laugh.
      Good points. Sounds like you are just as confused as the rest of us. Under Campbell we knew pretty much anything goes.
      Under Shanahan it seems like it completely depends on how he feels on any given day.
      Maybe he makes decisions based on the colour of his mood ring…

10. WindsorHab-10 says:

We need to start unloading & build this all over again. Untouchables are Price, PK, Max Pac & Eller. Everyone else is fair game, if a team wants them, ditch them. All of this must be followed by canning PG & JM.
    Tired of this win one lose two bullcrap. We’re too small, lack toughnness & in dire need of good coaching.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

So, minutes away from the Blue Bombers beginning their Grey Cup game. I am sure all the East is behind this Western (Technically Central) based team.

I don’t know I am excited as a Bomber fan, but something missing when not a traditional East/West game.

12. Hali_Hab says:

Also I noticed an earlier post where the poster mentioned patches and prices comments after last nights game. Both pointed out about “sitting back ” in the 3rd period. It was also brought up by Eric cole earlier in the week. It makes me wonder if he discontent on playing an outdated skill hampering system is begins to wear on the team. For that matter the system as it would appear to me is ” let’s hope Carey wins it for us ” because there is no structure there at all. And if you don’t think JM’s coaching style is suffocating to offensively gifted players just have a look at the current state of PK he does not look anything like the player he has been. And he is not the only one. A change in management in philosophy is what is needed. Some one also needs to remind. Cammy that just because he makes 6 mill a year doesn’t mean he IS a 6 million dollar player.

13. habinkam says:

pacs was committed to the hit right before letang looked up. letang is a very intelligent hockey player, he knew max was coming just didn’t respect him. I’m not going to get upset over what max does or doesn’t get as it is out of our control as fans. I just want shanny to wake up and remember what its like to be a player as his head is so far up bettmans ass trying to keep his job. Im glad he hit him as a habs fan, regardless of the injury or outcome. Maybe players wont think they can just walk around the ice untouched by any habs players. don’t see teams taking those chances against boston or philly

14. Hali_Hab says:

It would be a good start.. At least if she’s behind the bench JM isn’t

I’ve been thinking. How would coach Jessica do behind Habs bench?

The phone is ringing Max, pick it up and tell him sorry, I looked up andI could not get out of the way. His nose hit me on the elbow.

Didn’t Max get nailed to the head in the second period? Bet the league isn’t going to review that one. I think i there is clear re Shanahan now – he is just as corrupt as Campbell was. There are favorites, there are old buddies, and there are Habs. If Letang hits Max Pac the same way there is no phone call or a review.

From my personal standpoint, regardless of the outcome of that phone call, Shanahan is no different than Campbell.

• slapshot777 says:

I don’t see any hearing for Neal who clubbed PK with his stick on top of his head last night. Good thing PK had his helmet on at the time. The League says that you must be in control of your stick at all times. Well to me that was a head shot using his stick. Player can still get a concussion.

But I gues Shanny will be too busy trying to find a way to suspend Max that he’ll overlook the Neal play.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

18. geo_habsgo says:

Not sayin’ that Patches is innocent in all of this but I think that with the amount of head injuries in the league, its getting to the point where they should just ban hitting. Any big hit is now being questioned and examined to death. Players are different sizes and there will be times when hits to the head happen indadvertedly as a result of size discrepancies. All the league is going to do I think is cause players to play super cautiously and fail to appropriately check their man with the current situation. I’d rather watch a game where players know hitting is outlawed than a game where players are super tentative and playing scared.

OHL NEWS

PK’s two brothers playing for the Belleville Bulls today were 1st and 2nd stars as they won today against the Oshawa Generals to climb into 1st place with the Ottawa 67’s.

Malcome in net and Jordon playing out.

20. JohnBellyful says:

Last season we were ready to suspend Chara from the gallows. Didn’t happen.
    This season it was Lucic. Same story.
    Now we’re in fear what will happen to Patches. Should Shanahan rule in favour of sitting No. 67 for a game or more it will require a suspension of disbelief on the part of many Hab fans to accept such a decision.
    I suspect that whatever explanation Shanahan provides in support of his ruling either way will not provide any certainty as to the league’s ultimate stance on how to curtail head shots.

• JIMVINNY says:

If he does suspend Max, Habs fans will scream. If he doesn’t everyone else will. And either way, there will be no more certainty about Shanahan’s method.

21. habinkam says:

hey guys long time reader first time poster….. (really need to get this out)
    I have a fresh take on why that hit happened, essentially letang was careless; I personally had no problem with the hit(being a young man raised on old school hockey) any player that cuts through the slot like that especially in OT… I’ll make that hit 12 times out of 10. BUT i don’t argue that as the rules state its a contact to the head and in some officials eyes merit a suspension.
    But as i see it, it was Letangs lack of respect for the physical aspect of our Montreal Canadiens (not that i blame him) that caused that hit, if you watch the replay from the other end of the ice looking down at the play you clearly see Letang look up identify Pacs, then he buries his head takes his shot and puts himself in this so called “vulnerable position”. He was convinced he was safe and no player even max who was on his way would hit him. What does that say about our team. Im tired of seeing suspensions because players have their head down. Never mind the NHL protecting its players players need to start protecting themselves.
    just to clarify as i know the response ill get…. if roles were reversed and that was Staal on subban(similar height difference) he would deserve a broken nose.

p.s. the nhl needs a definite second count on whistles after a frozen puck, that call was ridiculous pretty sure the rule states a ref should blow play down when he loses sight of it not wait until it pops out back into site and then run away from gionta into the locker room without explanation

• Just A Guy says:

Welcome to the club.

I like your perspective on the hit, and it sways me more into the no suspension opinion, but as you say as well, it will be interesting to see what perspective Shannahan has with his philosophy. “Principle point of contact” was his catch phrase for a lot of the suspensions he has dolled out, and I’ll actually reference the Malone/Campoli hit in that I think Letang had dropped his head before Patches had “committed to the body check” (another catch phrase Shanny kept using).

And I can’t remember who it was he hit, Patches that is, but he has had a game suspension before so he may be considered a repeat offender. He plays a fine line sometimes and I think he has stated something to that effect in interviews, so I personally wouldn’t be surprised if he got a game or two in all fairness. To bad for us it would supremely suck if Pacioretty was suspended for any amount of time.

• habstrinifan says:

Welcome aboard and looking forward to many more of your posts in the future… even if I respectfully disagree with just about the entirety of it.

Re the ref’s error…. hey this is sports.. it happens.

Re pacs hit… I am praying for no or minimum suspension but wont equivocate about head shots because it is a HABS. Intentional or not a hearing is correct and at least a mark in Patche’s dossier.

My ONLY issue with Shanahan is his dismal performance in his job based on recent rulings. If he had maintained the clear and decisive application of the ‘new mandate’ that he started out with, I ould be more confident and accepting.

Hopefully it will be just a WARNING/FINE.

Again welcome aboard.

22. Gindan69 says:

If the Lucic hit isn’t a suspension then neither is this one. Of course the league is crooked so they will suspend him. Can you imagine if MLB spent it’s time trying to fuck over the Yankees year in and year out or the NFL was trying to pull a fast one on the Cowboys? I wonder if the owner and management enjoy bending over and taking it. I know the Steinbrenners or Jerry Jones would have to sued the league into oblivion by now.

23. doogie says:

Mr. Pacioretty should continue to remind Mr. Shanahan about his “intentions” last night rather than the outcome. Just like Mr. Chara’s intentions were to politely check Mr. Pacioretty into the boards last March, rather than break his cervical vertebrae. All state of mind Max, remember to reinforce your intentions, since Mr. Shanahan might need a little assistance with the call. Not guilty!

24. canadiens26 says:

I love Price’s and Patches’ reaction to sitting back in the third period. Cole said the similar thing a few games ago as well. You feeling the heat Martin? You should be.

25. Tis Himself says:

The bottom line is that someone on the Habs should have re-broken Letang’s nose before he scored the winner last night. That would have been worth a suspension!

I dig all the Cole love on this site but I just want to set the record straight – Erik Cole couldn’t tie-up Frank Mahovlich’s skates.

27. JIMVINNY says:

If Chara had been suspended, if Malone had been suspended, if Lucic had been suspended, I’d be fine with Max getting suspended. But eff that. They weren’t, a precedent was set, and I refuse to be okay with a Hab being the only one to whom the rules are applied.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Not that I think that’s coming any time soon.

The fact that all the hits you mentioned went unpunished is immoral (as well as stupid — the NHL is sawing off the branch it’s sitting on by risking the health of its players).

Whispered favours, rule-bending, favouritism, moral cowardice etc happen everywhere — politics, business, school, church — sometimes with the same potential for injury and even death (think of risks taken by the motor industry, for example). So the NHL will have to try a whole lot harder if it genuinely wants to protect its players. For now they’re only window-dressing while protecting vested interests and catering to the worst reptilian instincts of certain fans.

• JIMVINNY says:

“Unless it was the start of a new NHL seriousness about protecting the players? Would you accept it then?”

Yes, I absolutely would. But I have zero faith in that happening, so I’m left feeling as I do; If they got away with it, so should Max.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I share your zero faith. What will it take? (Rhetorical; I think I know the answer, don’t wish to articulate it).

• JIMVINNY says:

Agreed. That’s exactly what it will take. And knowing that is so damn depressing. Knowing that the integrity of the higher ups has eroded so far, there’s no good way for change to happen. It’s just too late now.

• neumann103 says:

Agreed.

I had hopes in the preseason that the first 5 or 6 cases were setting a new standard. It was not necessarily the standard that I wanted, but a clear standard was welcomed.

I could live with guys getting more or less than I thought warranted and had some dissent about who got screwed (McArthur) vs who got off easy (Sestito) but as long as it was consistent it could have the desired effect.

Then you get the “Friends and Families” program, and bizarre rationalizations for non-suspensions and impact of backdoor pressure from the GMs and the NHL office etc

“Et le but!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(N103! What did we do wrong? Our previous exchange has vanished!)

• neumann103 says:

@Dunboyne Mike

I thought it was just me but I refreshed my browser and it disappeared… however it appears at the bottom the page completely unthreaded and therefore absent any context.

I really really really do not understand whatever the template for HIO is supposed to be doing. Why not have a proper forum?

search for “November 27, 2011 3:45 pm at 3:45 pm”

“Et le but!”

28. rhino514 says:

The only way that is a suspension is if Pacioretty throws his elbow or hnd out (which I´m not sure about, but I would tend to say the video is inconclusive on this matter). Otherwise, a suspension in this case signifies the following:
    If you are skating towards the opponent´s goal with your head down, or as long as you lower your head before an oncoming opponent, then nobody will be allowed to check you. You may proceed unimpeded to the opponent´s goal and attempt to score”

I didn´t like the hit because Pacioretty raced full steam across the ice to hit Letang….it was quite possible there WAS intent, but you can never prove that. Under the current rules going full steam to hit someone even if it is not neccesary isn´t suspendable. They would have to insitute something like “you have to make an effort to let up” like you are supposed to do for goalies, or “the player is not allowed to gather momentum and speed from a distance to increase the impact of the hit” and I doubt that will ever happen.

29. RetroMikey says:

Yup, we all feel sorry for our MaxPac but he can b a shit disturber as well when playing.
    I, for one noticed the incident when he pushed Chara last season after we scored and just shook my head which led to Chara retaliating the next time they met..
    You just don’t push an opposition player when you score, you skate away.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

30. Badwich says:

I have to agree.

Trade one or preferably, all. I suspect that with two knee blowouts under his belt Markov is going to be VERY careful on the ice. Is he going to be as effective as before? Are opponents going to take him hard into the boards? Do the Habs spend a lot of time in their own end against tough teams? He’ll be looking out for that knee every second of every game. It’s only natural. Knee three could happen at any time.

Camshaft says he’s lost confidence. But it’s more than that. I suspect his no contact play is related to what’s facing Markov. The fear of being re-injured is a powerful psychological force and he’s so tiny…

Taberwitt

Andrew Berkshire was discussing tweets and twitter earlier in the day.

Here’s an article and photo of Mike Harris’ newest pitbull clone in Ontario and his latest adventures in twitter land.

A photo-op, indeed!

32. Martin3 says:

The play was offside at 3:22. Dupuis was early. Barely, and not blaming the refs considering the speed of the rush, but he was. Would have saved a lot of outrage typing if it had been whistled.

Strike zones in baseball move depending on the height of the player. Same thing probably applies here. He’s taller than Letang and hit him in the head. If he’d thrown the same hit at someone 18 inches taller he probably would have bounced off their elbow instead. He’ll get a game or two, which he should under the new rules. That’s life.

33. twilighthours says:

I think he deserves a suspension.

I think he will probably get one, but who knows with this league?

I like the fact that he apologized to letang. Shows he’s got class.

I am getting tired of jlgib’s posts.

• HardHabits says:

It didn’t look to me that Pacioretty intended it. To me it appeared that he didn’t follow through, lift his elbow or put any arm into it. It looked in many ways similar to Gionta’s hit on Reimer. No suspension IMO. Hopefully case closed.

• 24 Cups says:

Doesn’t matter if you intended to do it or not. A headshot is a headshot and needs to be punished.

We’re trying to clean up a problem here. Zero tolerance should be the policy. Three games should suffice.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

24 Cups, if the League ever finds the moral courage to get serious about protecting players, what you say about zero tolerance is the only way to go, and that means sanctions for head-shots irrespective of intent (as is the case, isn’t it, for high-sticking?).

I also liked your notion of subjective rationalisation earlier.

34. JIMVINNY says:

If Letang doesn’t take the shot, Pacioretty catches him square in the chest. But the act of taking the shot rotates Letang’s body, leaving his head out in front. This is a textbook “victim changing position of body immediately before contact” type of play. Max didn’t explode into the hit, he didn’t raise his arms, he didn’t aim at the head. If he gets suspended, that will be confirmation of a serious bias against the habs. Other players have gotten away with much worse already in this young season.

• neumann103 says:

And Letang said essentially this. He knew traffice was coming maybe not Max specifically and was only “blindsided” because he chose to keep his head down to take the shot.

“Et le but!”

35. Thurston says:

I’m expecting a suspension.
    Of course, if Pacioretty played for Boston, I wouldn’t be expecting a suspension.
    We’ll see soon enough how the National Double Standard League rules.

36. AndyF says:

After looking at the play a few times, I think Max actually pulls his elbow out of the way and Letang’s head hits him in the back numbers. According to recent tradition, this should not be a suspendable play.

That said, I think he *should* be suspended because the rules should read:
    “You are responsible for the head of any opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself. If you hit a player’s head, you’re gone! Period. Even if you tried to avoid him.”

37. derfab says:

The hearing should be for the refs. They should explain the goal and the hit. The 2 ref system is twice as bad.

38. habs-hampton says:

Shanny has put himself in a tough spot. He has to suspend Max, however, if he does, how does he justify the non-suspensions on Lucic and Malone (which was pretty close to identical to the Letang hit)? On the other hand if he doesn’t suspend him, he loses any credibility he has left

Time’s up, JM must go!

Any credibility he had was lost many games ago when he caved to a few angry gm’s. His definition of suspension in preseason (aside) from the Malone hit was far more understandable than recent weeks.

• HardHabits says:

Also when he came out and said in retrospect maybe Lucic would have got a suspension for his hit on Miller as 20 or so GMs came back at him and said they wanted their goalies protected and that the Lucic non-suspension sent the wrong message.

Shanahan is the kind of sheriff that is on the take with the big mining companies. Habs need a modern day Clint Robinson. I mean Larry Eastwood.

39. 1010 says:

Prediction: no suspension.
    Everyone’s already covered every possible angle so that’s all I need to say on the subject.

GO HABS…

40. Hali_Hab says:

Getzlaf please!!

41. Mark C says:

Shouldn’t the rationale behind the non-suspension to Malone apply in this case? To me, it looks like Letang changes his body/head position between the time Max commits to the hit and the moment of contract. When Letang shoots the puck, he lowers his head and moves it forward changing the point of contract, and placing himself in a more vulnerable position.

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

24 Cups has sound incite below, particularly with “subjective rationalization”, the mental and moral acrobatics Shanahan would have performed in order to exonerate Lucic for his hit on Miller.

In the interview posted here at that time, it was put to Lucic that had a Sabre hit Thomas that way, there would have been a violent response from the Bruins. Lucic smirked and concurred, which for me was tantamount to him acknowledging that his hit on Miller was deliberate and worthy of response.

If a) extent of injury and b) intent count for anything, he should have been suspended. But he wasn’t, which is a further discrediting of Shanahan and the League.

I think the Letang hit really was a “hockey play” (the term so disingenuously applied to Chara’s hit on Max), to do with Max’s height and Letang’s post-shot body position. But while I don’t believe there was intent, I believe the head contact warrants suspension if the League is to become serious about protecting its players. It’s just very galling if the League is serious about some hits (perhaps Max on Letang) and not others (Lucic on Miller). To go back to 24 Cups, if the decisions are based on subjective rationalisation rather than on an absolute of League policy, what’s the point?

I completely disagree with the poster below decrying Max’s apology to Letang. Whatever machismo old school code it is that frowns on apologies before game’s end is primitive and is not observed in other violent sports (football, rugby) nor always in hockey. Two guys are doing their job, one breaks the other’s nose, you apologise. You can be tough and fully committed to winning without losing sight of your humanity.

That said, I would also agree with the poster who argues that the apology should have no bearing on the League’s response. The apology was the right thing to do, I’m guessing it was sincerely meant, and Letang appears to have appreciated the gesture. But if there are to be suspensions for hitting heads, then they should go ahead irrespective of whether players feel like apologising or not.

I don’t want to lose Max for the West coast games, but I do want to see the League turn the corner on this issue. Future hockey historians will point out how long it took for the NHL to protect its single most important asset and laugh grimly at the self-defeating barbarity which the League and its public once countenanced.

None of this is what I came on here for! Sorry for the preachy opinionating. (Had something on the Chara hit — but I’ve exceeded my quota).

Cheers

PS I also feel suitably chastened by Habstrinifan for not commenting on Stubbs’ great Richard piece. You’re entirely correct. My pathetic response: so much opinion, so little time.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I hear you, but I also believe the following: there is no such thing as a wimp in the NHL. It’s a hard sport, this owing to the speed, the rules, the ice and boards, the puck, the sticks. You can NOT be a wimp in professional hockey, which gives a player license to apologise whenever he sees fit.

As for the team, if you’re saying that they are relatively small and don’t play like the Bruins, I can agree.

Cheers

• habs-hampton says:

Max is far from wimp. It just shows he has class, unlike some other players in this league.

Time’s up, JM must go!

• neumann103 says:

Total nonsense.

“Et le but!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

That’s a bit vague, N103!
        Care to elaborate?

• neumann103 says:

Apology during game was very wimpy,just like this team.

is total nonsense

Explanation:
          I neither think that expressing relief that an opponent was not harmed by an obviously big hit is not wimpy, nor is it characteristic of a wimpy team. I think the terminology is misplaced, and at best insulting.

I think that the perspective of anyone who has been on the receiving end of a concussive injury like MaxPac is entitled to – and perhaps ought to be expected to – show some awareness.

I think it was a legal hit. I don’t think that was Max’s point. Letang refused to characterize the hit as he had not seen it. His coach and captain mouthed off regardless. But Letang did credit Max for reaching out.

The way to get headshots out of the game is not to make it a smug child’s game of what you can get away with without being caught (Lucic), it is to recognize the potential for harm, crack down on the targetting and recklessness and yes even make players have a little pause and reflection when an unintentional headshot results in a potentially frightening result, even if the result of a legal play.

I really don’t want to get into ad hominem attacks on the original poster, but if you look up the history there is a consistent thread that gooning it up is the only way to go.

“Et le but!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I agree completely. And that was a fine elaboration! I wasn’t sure to whose post you were referring.

(Sorry if this reply doesn’t appear beneath your post — there was no Reply button to click).

Cheers

43. Arune Singh says:

I have no idea where I stand on this hit.

MaxPac made contact with the head. I assumed you just can’t do that anymore and was surprised there was no penalty.

MaxPac looked like he was trying to make a clean hit on the guy with the puck– the same player who looked up and saw MaxPac on his way. So this wasn’t a blindside hit.

I imagine we’re supposed to put the end result of the hit (bloody nose) and quick return to play aside– those are irrelevant to the hit itself (I don’t mean this sarcastically).

So I’m torn– he clocked Letang. Intent or no, he hit him. The raised arm seemed reckless, height or not. For that I assume he’d get a fine.

If someone else did this to our player, I’d expect some kind of fine at least.

MY problem is that I don’t understand how some hits have been Shannahammered this year. Lucic not getting a suspension blew my mind. Heck, I’m surprised Gionta didn’t get in trouble for the Reimer hit.

Not trying to statt an argument, but understand the rationale arguments either way.

Thank You Saku. Thank you Halak. Thank you to all who wear the CH.

44. t1tan5 says:

After reviewing the hit at multiple angles, I think Patches deserves to get a small suspension on the order of 1-2 games. Forget about precedents and the Campoli hit and the Chara hit. If we want to eliminate these kinds of hits from the game, there’s no better way than to lead by example. Patches was reckless there and should sit out a game or two.

• deuce6 says:

Meh…If this hit is suspendable, every body check should be..We want dirty hits out of the game, I agree, but we can’t just let a guy walk in through the slot and getting a prime scoring chance…Hockey is a physical sport and is so fast that sometimes hits of this nature are unavoidable..

It isn’t as though Max intended to take the guy’s head off or break the guy’s nose..He made a split decision to break up the play in the position he was in..If someone pops a nose, then so be it..BTW, it was a contact to the head body check, but, IMO, wasn’t dirty..

The dirty comes in when a guy raises his elbow or stick or leaves his knee out to trip the guy..Pacioretty will be asked his side of the story and get nothing..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nearly agree, Deuce6.

Certainly agree that it wasn’t dirty. But maybe protecting the players needs to mean suspensions based on the outcome rather than the intent?

Lots of high-sticking calls are made on the basis that the stick got up, even where there was no intent to raise the stick. Players are held responsible for what their sticks do — perhaps the same should apply to their shoulders?

Cheers

45. ooder says:

wow… we are in 11th place with 2 games in hand on almost everyone.
    that is not good…. the guys better start stringing wins together if they want to make the playoffs :o
    ——————
    The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

46. JoeC says:

So Markov is about to come back and you want to dump him?? you trying to show the intelligence of a leaf fan? Seriously Wow

47. The Dude says:

There is no doubt that many undiscovered Hockey athlete’s are being passed by in La Belle Province “DD was un-drafted and a Carbo recommend for example” and it’s a shame in the Habs back yard this could be allowed to happen.It’s another thing about this organisation that makes no sense and de-roots itself from a proven hometown formula.

48. BoomBoom says:

NHL should have a call with last night’s refs. The OT non-whistle was just plain not acceptable. Further evidence of the NHL becoming a bush league…the level of refs in this league is sad. I have been watching hockey for over 30 years and I don’t remember ever seeing such sub-par referring like I have for the last 3 or 4 years. NHL should put its breaches on and take a page from the CFL. The CFL admitted that one of its refs blew a call against the Als during a Blue Bombers game. The CFL apologized to the Als and fired the ref. I’d be happy with the NHL issuing a statement saying, our ref blew the call. I am not saying that the ref is the only reason we lost but his blown call didn’t even give us a chance to win.

C’est le but!

49. coldness81 says:

Sorry max but 3 games suspension is most likely coming your way. I don’t get the fans who say it was a clean hit. It wasn’t an attempt to injure but a reckless play. Just my view on it.

50. Old Bald Bird says:

In and of itself, it looked borderline enough to me to warrant a short suspension. However, in light of recent decisions, I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. After all, Letang’s head was pretty low from taking the shot, so it looks to me as if almost any hit would have become a head shot. So, we’ll see.

Edit: Stubbs’ pic from Twitter. http://yfrog.com/kgqyzxvj To me it shows Letang crouched down and Pax on his feet, not leaving his feet at all.

51. habstrinifan says:

The harangues on the contived controversy of whether or not to suspend Pacioretty are many. Nary a word in observance of Stubb’s depiction of a great moment and warrior in HABS history.

I am more convinced now that we DO have the team we deserve.

52. otter649 says:

While Shanahan is looking at the tape from last night’s game maybe he should have a look at that high stick that Neal depoisted on the top of Subban’s head – Granted Subban may have helped a bit with Neal falling but that was a stick swing with alot of power behind it & fortuately Subban was not hurt……

53. ProHabs says:

Max should get 2 games but Shanny will give him 5.

54. Enough with false equivalence: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/11/27/2589868/can-we-stop-with-the-false-equivalence

______________________________
    Seriousfan09 has started a Movember team named McPhee’s Irregulars. Donate to him, or me or the team to raise money for a great cause!

• Habsolutely says:

Wow, I didn’t realize Cox was such a tool on twitter. I now hate him more than I did before, which I didn’t think was possible, thanks Andrew.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Andrew et al: I posted this there before I realized you had linked it here. Of course, it may bear repeating.

——-

I stopped following Damo after the Patches incident because he was trolling then just as he appears to be trolling now. I messaged him with something like this: “I am unfollowing you because I have come to the conclusion that you’re nothing more than a highly paid troll.” This came about after reading continued nonsensical tweets like, “Where was Geoff Molson when …?”

Of course, he had to message me back twice trying to be smart. If I had replied to the second message, we’d probably still be going at it.

I suggest that other sane people should also unfollow him. Life is too short. In fact, I shouldn’t really have wasted my time typing this. :) But I thought others might like this info.

• otter649 says:

Cox is a tool on twitter & was the one who first twitted Pat Burns had died when he had not & did not feel he had to apoligize (sp) for anything even though he was 100% wrong…..

• 24 Cups says:

It’s not just Cox, it’s the whole notion of Twitter. Most tweets are short one or two sentence “thoughts”. A lot of them have little depth or meaning. I also wonder if some of them are intentionally posted to just grab attention or entice the audience.

It’s not just sports tweeting, the same criticism applies to the world of entertainment and politics.

It’s much ado about nothing.

• As I said to you on EOTP, 100% agreed.

______________________________

• neumann103 says:

Andrew,

Very good analysis.

I am a Habs fan who does not think there is any anti-Hab conspiracy, but does believe that there are some players or teams or circumstances that get preferential treatment, and worse, there is an inconsistency in the way these rulings are made, along with a constantly shifting set of internal pressures on Shanahan from the League office and the GMs/Board or Governors.

I think was a clean hit that made shoulder to shoulder contact and unfortunately also hit the head, but was not targetting or intentional, and Letang exposed himself like… Campoli?

Obvious intentional targetting by the likes of Lucic and Malone gets excused but I expect that MaxPac will be held to a higher standard.

I say this as someone who thought Chara deserved a minimal suspension of a game or two as a warning to others because it was reckless, away from the play, clearly retaliation for a month old perceived slight. I never thought Chara intended to decapitate MaxPac.

On the other hand Malone abandoned any attempt to make a play on an available puck 20 feet from the opposing goal in order to raise an elbow and target the head. Lucic gave up a similar opportunity to take a 20 foot run at the goalie well after he had played the puck.

Shanahan has been nothing if not consistently inconsistent. After the last couple of weeks it is time for a crackdown.

“Et le but!”

55. habs-hampton says:

Max needs to get a hold of Lucic’s speech writer.
    “It’s gold, Jerry, gold!!”

Time’s up, JM must go!

• HUDSONHAB says:

I believe all Max has to say is that he didn’t know where he was on the ice (Chara) or that he looked up and just braced himself for the contact (Lucic).

….Hab4life….

• neumann103 says:

This is the sad part. That Shanahan actually referenced Lucic’s explanation that he didn’t mean it in his ruling.

I would have expected a player saying he didn’t mean to hurt the guy is irrelevant, or one would hope, a given.

Especially as the insincerity of Lucic’s statement was apparent by his reation and statements prior to the Shanahan decision

“Et le but!”

56. piter says:

Patches won’t get suspended at all, just fined like $2500. Deny, deny, deny……. For once being small works for us…Letang was pretty low, by his own choosing…just saying..

57. DearyLeary says:

Deny everything Max! It works for everyone else!

58. Xsteve50 says:

OK, time to be reasonable here. Max should and most likely will get a 1 or 2 game suspension. That is the correct thing to do to make this league honest and fair. And while we are at it, retroactively, Chara (for his hit on Max) should get a 15-20 game suspension for what is easily 8-10 time worse than Max`s hit on Letang..
    (Like THAT would ever happen)

• Trisomy 21 says:

such BS, taking these hits out of the game is how hitting is taken out of the game. Max is taller and Talbot was bent over. What should max do? stop so Letang can skate around him like a pylon? Shit they let Lucic go for much much less of a hit.

59. PureGuava says:

Grow up Milbury.

60. PureGuava says:

I didn’t care for the hit, but don’t think it will be a suspension. I think that Letang was shooting the puck, and that the only reason it was high was because of their height difference. I don’t think there was anything malicious about it, and there was an apology at the earliest possible moment when Letang returned.

I also think that the fact that Letang was okay, the refs blown call in overtime, and Max’s unfortunate injury last year, will also weigh heavy on the decision.

I can’t see the league not punishing Chara, and then nailing Pacioretty….

But, ya never know.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    – Robert Anton Wilson

• 24 Cups says:

PG – For the past two years posters on HI/O have been crying out for the NHL to clean up the game and get rid of head shots. The concussion crisis in the league is well documented.

MaxPac’s hit on Letang was a dangerous play. It’s the type of borderline hit that we see all the time on other teams. With that in mind, he needs to get three games regardless of the fact that he’s a Hab.

The following factors should not influence Shanahan’s decision:

– the Chara hit on MaxPac from last year

– the height difference between Letang and MaxPac

– the fact that Letang wasn’t injured and returned to the game

– MaxPac’s apology. Who cares about an apology? That won’t bring Perron, Kariya, Staal or Savard back into the league

– a blown call on a scoring play, totally unrelated

You can’t judge the league and demand action and then roll out the excuses when one of your own commits the foul.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I kind of hate for the justice to start here when many borderline calls have been dismissed. See above.

• 24 Cups says:

The only way to change the culture of reckless play that destroys careers was for the league to come out with a heavy hand. Shanahan did that from day one but then things seemed to change. Obviously, something has been going on behind the scenes with some of the old guard GMs. The turning point for me was the Lucic hit on Miller. The indirect message was pretty clear – strict enforcement has now been replaced by subjective rationalization.

As you stated, justice certainly isn’t being served any longer. I’m not saying all is lost, but I’m starting to lose faith.

• PureGuava says:

I understand your point, but I don’t see this particular play this way.

I have never judged the league.

I don’t think the hit on Perron was suspension worthy. The Savard hit was filthy, and I still can’t believe that Matt Cooke wasn’t lynched for it. Chara on MP should have been a suspension.

I think you have totally missed the point of supplemental discipline as imposed by this league. They go by a case to case method, and DO take into consideration a players history. I agree that this should have NO bearing on whether or not a player throws a dangerous hit…the league however does not.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
            – Robert Anton Wilson

Hard to figure out the Globe and Mail’s take on the hit…

Title says it all.

• Shane1313 says:

Ridiculous, I knew they’d say that.
      That’s exactly what I was afraid of, all of sudden after one(incidental contact hit). Yes the contact unfrotunately was at his head and it is his reponsibilty. But all the while this being an accident….then they go and talk about double standard. Max knows more than anyone how bad these things are.

62. ProHabs says:

If a dummy like Lucic is able to talk himself out of a suspension with Shanahan, then a smart lad like MaxPac should be able to talk himself out of one.

63. HNS says:

How’s about the hearing for the official who had his head up his ass for not blowing the the play dead.

64. Habfan4lfe says:

We lost for 2 reason, Cammalari who is chicken along the boards, should have taken possession of the puck but instead turned it over to Pittsburgh who immediately made a play and scored from it.

We lost because Martin and his line matching F’d up. We got caught when he tried to match lines when Stall jumped on the ice.

2 goals that should have never happened.

The refs sucked major bad, major Pittsburgh bias.

The goal in overtime was not legit. The ref is supposed to call the play when he can’t see the puck. He was on the other side of the ice, it was impossible for him to see the puck. Price had the puck covered and Letang hit Prices glove hand on the ice and got the puck loose. The other way around you know the ref would have blown that whistle right away. I don’t blame Price for being totally pissed off after that, he got screwed over.

BS game

65. Sal says:

Considering the joke suspension that Shanny has handed out so far in the regular season, there is, NO WAY, this should result in a suspension. If he suspends Max for this hit, even one game, then it will be obvious for all to see, that the Gooiuns are the Golden Child of the NHL Bush League!!

Shanny’s boss, Collie, is on the phone as we speak, giving him “advice” on the number of games Max should face. He really cares…when it comes to suspending any other player, that is NOT a Goouin!!

Sal from the Hammer

66. kakey says:

MaxPac will have to play for the Bruins to escape suspension. I fully expect he WILL get suspended. If hits on Halpern and Campoli got no suspensions, it’s just a normal, NHL standard that we will continually get the short end of the stick by having our player suspended as soon as a hint of illegality is committed.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Max could be in some trouble here! determind by his intent, as was Lucic for Boston.

We lost ,Yes!
    But we competed for 60 min. It was fast and entertaining. I had a great time watching every play. Experience beat us is all. By the end of the year, the kids will be better and we may have all our vets back.

I still think we have the talent to make a noise in the play offs this year.
    The coach still scares me, but I remember what he did two years ago.

• Sal says:

Might be too late by then Ian.

Sal from the Hammer

• CHasman says:

I like your positive outlook on the game, it indeed was very entertaining. If Cole could have controlled that pass he might have put the game out of reach. Don’t know if we would have lost anyway but the play should have been stopped before Pittsburg scored. On the other angle replay you can see Neal come from behind and jam his stick under Prices glove to help knock it loose. Terrible call.
      With Kostitsyn back we had two good lines going out there as the Eller line was dangerous and our coach finally reunited the one dangerous line we had (why did he break it up?) of Cole, Desharnais and Maxpac. Our number one line played poorly though and I believe a large part of that reason is Cammalari. Is he playing hurt or playing not to get hurt? He turns away from checks early enough to look bad, he gives the puck away if anyone comes near him, he doesn’t battle for the puck and he definitely doesn’t have the old fire in his eyes. Gionta and Desharnais play big and Cammalari is playing like a shrimp. We all know what he can do, so what is up?
      The young defence makes mistakes but they’re growing pains and I’m willing to put up with them if they improve and they are improving. We’ll be much better with the three vets returning. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

68. Polar Bear says:

what a joke. there should be a hearing with that f….ing referee

69. Toe Blake says:

Tough to suspend a guy when the refs saw nothing wrong with the play.

Here is where we place within a 30 team league this week.

Goals A- 60. We are in 14th place. Last week 11 place with 49

Total Points-24. We are in 22nd place. Last week 16 place with 21.

Goals For- 61. We are in 18th place. Last week 16 place with 53.

71. The Dude says:

Max should of known better but will get a pass to make up for Chara’s pass last year. Max apologized right away to Letang which is the proper thing for a person too do .Next time aim at the whole body “a la brother Andre K” AND LEAVE THE HEAD ALONE!
    We keep getting beat by Flying Frenchmen”everyone say’s there’s none left and the one’s around aren’t any good,lol” but it’s OK to lose with mediocre Multinationals! Bring back the Montreal Canadiens and the Flying Frenchmen este’!

72. otter649 says:

It would be curious to somehow find out – How many players have gotten suspended (if any) when there was no call made on their original incident….

73. badbalance says:

Letang just put his nose there on purpose so that Patches will get suspended

74. karatekid says:

A fine is more than enough. Hard to justify suspending Pacman after Chara got off with NOTHING for breaking his neck.

PuckBandits

75. Xsteve50 says:

what exactly is the quiet room rule?

76. neumann103 says:

Agreed

“Et le but!”

77. The Dude says:

The old 2 wrongs make a right thing speaks volumes about one’s character.

78. The Dude says:

Two wrongs followed by a wrong is just plain wrong and you know this .To be a fan of the team is to be a fan of the game and the game needs its fans to come clean.