Monday, Monday

At least your work week isn’t starting with a 25-minute bag skate.

That’s what soon-to-be-fired Minnesota Wild coach Todd Richards put his players through yesterday morning.

Dave Stubbs on AK46

Red Fisher liked Gionta’s goal

• High marks for Plekanec, Gorges

Martin Leclerc on Carey Price

• Arpon Basu on Jacques Martin and Jason Spezza

• J.T. on the Canadiens’ good start

• The Hockey News: Habs should have kept Boucher

• Not needed at the Bell Centre: Puck Daddy on CrowdWave

And a mash-up about that goalie guy

OcI_BJUryZw

Good post from sag:

1. KOSTITSYN looks like he is in better shape, frame of mind,
and understands the significance of a contract year.  When he is on, he
is dominant and as good as any of the players we lament being passed
over for him.

2. ELLER’s play including the exhibition season
has ranged from peter forsberg to peter frampton.  His upside,
like Subban’s will be worth the growing pains and benchable offences in
the long run.

3. MARTIN is an inflexible coach.  Most of what he
preaches however are solid hockey fundamentals, and the vets that are on
the present roster preach the same discipline and fitness.  Muller is
there to provide the human aspects.  Martin is The Count afterall

Every now I say to my wife, “drunk Hamrlik” is playing – he just
looks off sometimes no balance and his cheeks huff and puff much more
than the average night.  Overall he a big part of the team and
unfortunately cap hit.  Spacek on the other hand is just so out of shape
that NHL players can make him look like he is loaded.  They will both
be ok

5. PRICE has been excellent.  Frankly, that was all I cared
about seeing in the Leaf game, trusting that the other pieces were
overall better than last year thanks to improved 3 and 4th line
potential.

1. fbkj says:

you get the cat

2. habsfanincalgary says:

A few points:

- Anyone notice that all games this season have been decided by one goal?

- I watched Saturday’s game and the team had good puck control on the PP.  I think Markov’s return will help the PP click a little better.  I think they are still missing the big shot from the point that they’ve had in previous years.

- AK46’s play really adds to the team’s success.  Now if BP can only get it into gear!

- This is one of the better 3rd lines that the Habs have had in a while…Laps is playing some good hockey!

- Does anyone know if Markov’s absence has given more room to the team’s cap space?

3. LA Loyalist says:

I don’t mind you choosing Price over Halak, but I mind you posting a bogus financial argument.

1. We don’t know what Halak would have cost because no one asked. Therefore we have a financial equation with an “X”

2. We overpaid Price (though he may turn out to be worth it, that’s not my point) because we moved Halak without negotiating w/ Price. Therefore we have a “Y” in the equation.

3. The SMART move would have been to reward Martin by moving him upstairs, bring in Boucher, and thusly have Martin and Muller in the wings if Boucher didn’t pan out.

But as usual our management are as inscrutable as ever and show the strategic sense of a box of stale TimBits(tm).

Anyway, you can’t say that a mathematical argument is inarguable when you have two variables. I won’t even mention the other variables that could have made it work.

“insert tagline here”

4. TomNickle says:

Haha….I don’t know how I missed it this morning but I just saw the blurb from Mr. Boone saying that Todd Richards put his team through a 25 minute bag skate.

I’d be surprised if the NHLPA didn’t file a grievance on behalf of the players.

Players are exhausted after 10 minutes of a bag skate.  Some to the point of throwing up.  25 minutes is cruel punishment.

5. Say Ash says:

frappucinos aren’t far off from those figures

6. Storm Man says:

After your snack head to BK and order a Texas Triple Whopper.

7. TomNickle says:

I don’t even visit their website.  I put zero value into anything I’ve read of theirs in I don’t know how long.  The only thing that I’ve read of theirs that I enjoyed was the piece they did on Don Cherry last year.

It’s good if you don’t like or if you do and it offered quite a bit of insight into how he became what he is both professionally and as a man.  Not saying it made me like him.  Just helped me to understand him a bit more and confirmed a few suspicions.

8. Bob_Sacamano says:

So true. I had always enjoyed his articles and I also read his book but in the last 2-3 years he has become so bitter and negative, it´s really embarrassing. This time it already starts with the headline “Gionta’s goal one of few bright spots against Senators”. Sorry, few bright spots? There was Kostitsyn´s great play, especially his very nice tying goal. Coming back from a 3-1 deficit is also not bad or outshooting Ottawa 40-19 and it was the fourth consecutive game with at least a point, 7/8 points in the last four games…

9. SeriousFan09 says:

They’ve done some pretty questionable pieces over the last couple years and those Video “Puck Panels” are weak as well, a 2-minute chat about “Best goalie” or “Cup Contenders” either put together a 5-10 minute vid or a 20+ minute podcast.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t forget, we sign Halak, we wave goodbye to Plecanek.

I did wonder if Boucher would have accepted the assistant coaching job.

————————————————————————–

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

11. bwoar says:

Martin outcoached 2 inexperienced coaches during the run to the ECF, he deserves the credit.  No reason to be stingy with it.  I have no doubt whatsoever that come playoff time Martin can do the very same against Boucher.  The love for a guy with a team full of stars in Tampa is too funny.  I think the “Boucher Express” crowd has been watching hockey as long as Boucher has been coaching it professionally.

12. ZepFan2 says:

Let the cardiac arrests commence.

On that note. If you’re gonna try it, may I make a suggestion.

Call your lawyer and get your will updated by adding moi. ;)

————————————————————————–

“The Soft Parade has now begun.
    Listen to the engines hum.”

13. TomNickle says:

Yep.  The Hockey News has turned into a rag.  Cancelled my subscription three years ago.

There’s very little insight and provocative thought in anything that paper has put out in a long time.

14. TomNickle says:

Watching that makes me want him in the lineup more than I already did.

That man needs a contract extension.

That Hockey News article is an over simplification of the facts and it esentially brings up subject matter that has already been debated and archived here at HIO.

The writer states that to keep Boucher the Habs would’ve had to:

“… offer Boucher the head job with the big club… paying Guy Carbonneau and Martin to not coach the Habs…

and he argues that, it’s only money – and there’s no salary cap on coaches.

He goes on to state that… you can’t fire a coach who just led a No. 8 seed past both the Presidents’ Trophy winner and the reigning Stanley Cup champion en route to the conference final, but that’s essentially what Montreal did with its playoff hero, Jaroslav Halak. The Canadiens bid adieu to him in favor of the guy they thought was better for them in the long run. Why not do the same with Martin?

The Habs would regret letting a player described as such get away. And while it may not be this year or next, eventually they’ll regret letting Boucher get away, too.

Wow!! Talk about ripping off HIO best posted material!!!

My point is that the Habs could not pay 3 head coaches simultaneously and be credible. Halak was traded for two very good prospects who are closer to the NHL than the picks the Habs would’ve gotten had Halak taken an offer sheet. Price is part of the Habs long term plans. There is no reason why Boucher could not coach the Habs in the future once he is NHL tested.

The bottom line is John Grigg isn’t bringing anything new to the table and essentially is re-hashing arguments long discredited and shot down on these very pages. Unbelievable that people get paid to plagiarize, the losing side of the argument at that!!!

16. pic1983 says:

“at 540 calories, 30 grams of fat and 1,740 milligrams of sodium, it is a tad outrageous”

to tell you the truth, outside of the sodium, its really not as bad as I thought bacon and cheese stuffed between two pieces of fried chicken would be.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s alarming how bad for you it is, but I expected it to be far worse, and I have seen far worse.

17. avatar_58 says:

It’s easy to say 2 goals glove side on 2 shots – but it was half a period without a shot registered. That means Price sat on his butt and wasn’t ready for the anything. Not that the team should allow him to be shot at, but it’s understandable that he screwed up a little. (Our good friend Jaro had this problem remember? He liked more shots)

The good part? The offence didn’t just sit back and accept a loss.

18. joeybarrie says:

They were first in the EAST. YES. Two huge differences. All those players were 3 years younger. AND Kostitsyn, Markov, Pleks, Gorges, and Price were on that team. Take away Markov, Pleks, Gorges and Price…. That was my point. The team WITHOUT Marky, Pleks, Gorges, and Pricey WOULD NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS…

In the end the team we gained would tear up the team we lost… THATS THE POINT… We moved forward in every aspect except goaltending where there is not much room for improvement.

Maybe that team in 2007 would beat our current team. DOUBTFUL… BUT let’s remember the point of the post.

SINCE THEN…

Kovy    18g – 31a

Higgins  8g – 9a

Ryder    18g – 15a

Sergei   7g – 11a

Koivu    19g – 33a

Begin    5g – 9a

Kosto   8g – 13a

Tough to get into the playoffs when your top two lines produce barely 75 goals… Doubt you would be the top scorer now…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

19. pic1983 says:

He is definitely a montreal legend.  However, its all about going out on a high, and when the time is right.  Unfortunately for Red, the right time was about 3 years ago.  Now he’s just sullying his name IMO.  I personally don’t even read his stuff anymore.

20. habs-hampton says:

In my opinion, the most important thing that came out of Sat. night’s win was that this team is capable of winning, even when the goalie isn’t the first star. That didn’t happen very often last year. The 2nd most important thing is that even when we’re not scoring PP goals, we can still score goals.

21. Say Ash says:

Ha! He’s got one move for shootouts – backhand five-hole. Works every time.

22. RGM says:

Me and a bunch of the guys here at the office are heading down tomorrow to give it a whirl.

23. pic1983 says:

Well it would only be monumentally stupid if it didnt work out.  People may question it initially if you were to make such a move, but if it panned out, no one would care.  However, like I said in my reply, it is a move that is almost impossible to justify, and top coaching candidates may be weary to come on board in the future.  Not to mention, if we did retain boucher and “promote” Martin to some office gig, and it failed, it would almost certainly cost the GM his job.  Thats a lot of risk to take as a GM.

Whether its the right move or wrong move is irrelevant.  It just has to be filed as a move you cannot make as a GM.  The habs hands were definitely tied, as they definitely didnt want to be viewed as a organization that inhibits the professional growth of its employees.

24. Bill J says:

You say this and neglect to state other facts.

- Habs liked Price more then Halak, short & long term.

- Most GM’s in the league agreed Price’s value was still superior to Halak’s (note I did say most, and not all)

- Signing Price before Halak’s trade = less return on investment for Halak.

- Signing both, would surely result in just as unfavorable results.

This ain’t no EASports Hockey here, emotions & people’s fealings are at play, it is not as “cold” as you make it out to be.

The Habs allowed MANY people this summer the chance to flourish in other cities (Jaro in STL & Boucher ETC in Tampa)

Classy teams like MTL allow their logjammed talent to move on – get used to it ;)

25. CBrady12 says:

I’m only 23 and have nothing but respect for Red Fisher but the quality of his writing has diminished considerably…Obviously I don’t expect his work to be as good as it was, the man is 84 years old, maybe it’s time for him to retire for good…That said, he can do what he wants…hes a Montreal legend

26. Clay4bc says:

” Im sorry to say but the team we lost would not make the playoffs”

Here’s some news for you…

Halak

Komisarek, Boullion, Dandenault, Streit

Koivu, Kovalev

Latendresse, Ryder, [S] Kostitsyn

Higgins, Begin, Kostopolous

+ [A] Kostitsyn, Pleks, Markov, Gorges and Price (those we kept)

= Montreal Canadiens 2007-2008 Eastern Conference Champions (regular season).

I’m not saying that the past team is better than this one (actually think the present team is better for playoff hockey), but please don’t make things up – that was the highest scoring team in the NHL that season, with most of the players you named, and just a few others – and was easily a playoff team.

__________________________
    Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

27. Bill J says:

Yeah just saying Brad.

You making the Gainey/Robinson mistake, not one but twice.

I was like WTF ?!?!?! lol

If you can take one thing from this, proof-read before clicking submit.

;)

28. SeriousFan09 says:

To tee up the return of Andrei Markov, Watsatheo’s excellent compliation of Markov’s greatest moments since before the 09-10 season. Don’t have time to watch it all? Skip ahead to 1:08 to see one of his best plays eever.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

29. pic1983 says:

Its one of the few NHL organizations that I truly dont know much about (in terms of prospects and such), but based on what I see, they have a very thin forward core, are very thin on D, and Backstrom just cant handle shouldering the whole load when they switched from a stingy defensive system to the more wide open system that they currently play.  I dont know of any high-profile prospects in their system on forward or defense either.

It looks quite bleak for the Wild.  I think the Wild and Panthers are going to be their conference’s respective bottom dwellers this season.

30. pic1983 says:

Good points, great post!

I was very happy to see the boys battle back for Carey on saturday night when he was clearly having a bit of a rough night.  Nice to see that the boys dont intend to win all their games this year on the strength of lights-out goaltending.

31. smiler2729 says:

Red Fisher’s become a bitter old man who’s time has passed him by, come on, Red, step away and enjoy life instead of finding all its faults and doting on them incessantly…

Guy Boucher’s star is shining according to all the “hockey people” and second guessing “bloggers” and maybe rightfully so but the Habs had no place for him except in Hamilton. Or maybe they didn’t want to make the same mistake with him that they did with Vigneault, Therrien and Julien, that is throw them into the fire that is the Montreal media glare without any previous NHL experience. We all know an NHL coach’s expiration date with a team is about 3 years so perhaps when JM is done, Boucher will be the guy.

The Habs look like a team that has its junk together and just need to polish it up as opposed to the lost incohesive bunch we saw before the purge of ’09.

32. pic1983 says:

Most food items that are delicious are terrible for you.

33. TomNickle says:

Haha.  I’m still thinking that Gorges is the next captain.  I would say probably seven years from now.

My crystal ball is working overtime.

34. Jordio-oh says:

Not unless i feel like exceeding my daily recommended sodium intake on one sandwich.

35. Say Ash says:

Hell no! It’s gross and terrible for you. Also, I’m afraid I just might like it…

36. avatar_58 says:

Don’t be silly, Gionta is retiring here after winning a few cups ;)

37. TomNickle says:

It was time to move on for both sides like you said.  He should’ve signed somewhere that would better allow him the opportunity for a Cup run.  We absolutely needed new leadership.  It was clear in my opinion that the kids on this team were split between him and Kovalev and that it wasn’t going to change.

38. TomNickle says:

He’s easily our best defenseman not named Markov Ian and I’m sorry to burst your PK bubble but I think Gorges is our next captain.

39. joeybarrie says:

I did also
    hate losing Koivu. But I felt that it was time to move on. For both sides to be honest. Getting rid of him when we did gave him a chance to make a decent run of it with another team. not simply 1-2 seasons and barely 100 games before he retires. For me he left on a HIGH, and that is not a bad thing. I don’t know if I would ever want to see him getting 3rd or 4th line minutes like Kovalev is getting now. I respect him too much for that. Somehow seeing him fight for ice time with Eller, Lapierre, and Darche isnt right.

How great would he look on our 3rd line though????

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. Kain292 says:

That’s really no excuse. If you’re the no. 1 goalie on an NHL team, you should be expecting to be shot at. Saying the defence did too good of a job is ridiculous.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

41. TomNickle says:

Watching Maxwell in the pre-season I saw a different player.  Much more dangerous offensively and much more willing to do the necessary dirty work without the puck.

I hope that he’s the first to get a call up.

As well as Boyd is playing, he might not have been needed.  The role may very well have been filled in house if Maxwell was given a chance out of the gate.  That said, he’s a different player like I said and management didn’t know what player would show up.

42. joeybarrie says:

Man, i can’t believe I did that… I feel so bad, I meant to put in CHIPCHURA.. Sorry MaxPac…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

43. eyhp says:

I read the Hockey News article about the Habs should have kept Guy Boucher yesterday. What are the Habs going to do, fire Jacques Martin and gave the job to Boucher? Ridiculous. This has nothing to do with paying off Martin’s contract, any half decent company or organization would never fire a highly regarded employee for no good reason. If the Habs did that this would permanently damage the team’s image and prestige in the league.

44. G-Man says:

3-1-1 is a very good start. There are all kinds of improvements to be made to the Habs game, but it seems other teams feel October’s growing pains as keenly as the Habs.

JM is doing an excellent job getting his troops ready for each game. Those that make rookie errors sit.

Price has been from awful to great in his 5 starts, with variations from period to period. He appears to be battling for the puck and not relying solely on technique to make saves. (The cover-up in the 1st period Saturday night)

By Thursday night, the team will be raring to go, so look out Devils.

45. RGM says:

Did Gui! puke during/after said bag skate?

46. G-Man says:

I’m happy to see the CBC pick up AHL games on Sunday afternoons. Gives us all a chance to see Habs prospects at 4 different points of the season.

47. habaddict_andy says:

I do not regret what we have lost except Koivu deserves a chance to win in Montreal with help.  Other than that I like what we have today.

By the way, we haven’t lost Pacioretty yet.  I hope he develops well in Hamilton.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

48. Da Hema says:

Yes indeed. The Habs can always hire Boucher down the road. Coaches change teams too.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

Joey, We have had great management over the past 5 years. It won’t be very much longer now, before we are lined up on St. Catherine watching the parade.

Rome was not built in a day my friend as you say in a competitive market. Good post

50. JIMVINNY says:

So 3 games in 4 nights, then no games in 4 nights.  Stupid schedule makers…

51. avatar_58 says:

Of course but goals happen. Ask Marty right now. Or hell – Elliott. What’s his excuse for getting scored on just over 1 minute into the game? Is a breakaway a good excuse?

I doubt very much the Ottawa faithful are complaining about him.

52. Kain292 says:

I don’t want to. I really don’t. But I’m too curious. It may kill me… FOR SCIENCE.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

53. fbkj says:

hmmmmmmmm insulin

Our best player over the past few games has been given very little ink so far.

I guess because he is so steady and makes few glaring mistakes. he is always in position and competes hard for the puck at all times, he just does not stand out as much.

But Josh Georges is by far and away our best D this year.

55. Bob Barker says:

comes with hypertension and diabetes at no extra cost

56. joeybarrie says:

Re-Reading Fisher’s article made me remember what I was trying to say when I started that HUGE post…

In the end I find we have come in to the middle in the first 5 games. We have had growing pains and new season de-rusting (not a good word, but I don’t want to get off track again)…

This season I find Price has (so far) kept us in the games and the players have also done their parts to push us into the W category. Last season both dropped, neither Price or the players were doing what was necessary to get the wins. We didn’t score in front of him, and he let in the occasional soft goal that hurt us. We have scored some nice goals, we have scored some lucky goals. (much like ALL the Tampa goals against us) We are winning more face-offs, and filling out holes on 5 v 5. The best part of this is we are doing it without our best player and the one who will GREATLY help our PP, which is our biggest weakness right now. We have scored the first goal in almost all of our games, and lost ONLY to a red hot Maple Leafs team. Who are CLEARLY enjoying the high point of their season. They will be back in the basement soon enough.

We are on pace for a great season, and can only get better.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. Storm Man says:

That just shows you no nothing about the Habs as you don’t know who is on his card. Time for you and your little buddy manapart to play in the sandbox and leave the hockey talk to the adults. You both lack any logic.

Not many people realise how good this team is and will be in this PARITY league.

59. Bob Barker says:

Oh man those lines are ugly.

Great post.

60. fbkj says:

Off topic: anyone gonna try the double down at PFK today :D

61. PeterStone says:

interesting stats, though early.  The positives are since our PP has sucked, we are scoring these 5on5 .. which is a pleasant change.  When the PP picks up, we should see some interesting play this year.

62. joeybarrie says:

I think it was ’24 cups’ who said it best, among others. It is better to have Boucher gain experience somewhere else, and come back to us later on. He has a new approach to coaching that will eventually make all coaches better. HOWEVER, he has no experience and firing the coach that got us into the Conf. Finals would be MONUMENTALLY stupid.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

In a 30 team league, this is where our team places after the 1st week of the season.

I will put these stats up each week as our team as a whole progresses in these 3 areas.

1st— Goals Against,—13, –we are in 19th place out of 30 teams.

2nd– Total Points——  7, –we are in  6th  place out of 30 teams.

3rd– Goals For———-14, –we are in 11th place out of 30 teams.

64. Castor says:

I’d like to point out that my wife snuck into my account and wrote that. Though I do hope AK is back.

65. joeybarrie says:

Last season Price had 138 saves in his first 5 games. This season he has 139 saves in his first 5 games. Ignoring the Vancouver games where Price played really poorly, we had 5 games that were decided by one goal. All on a west coast trip that we ended up playing without Markov and 180 new players…

I think our problem does not include our goaltending. I think that it’s easy to blame Price because we expect our goalies here in Montreal ALL to play like Patrick Roy. We expect him to steal games for us and we expect it EVERY GAME. It becomes such a hot issue that everyone talks about it. People defend the goalie and others bash him. It would be alot better if people would just realise there are reasons behind everything and the management of this team is not perfect but for the most part makes good decisions and moves. However it is very easy to look back and pick apart a particular move, ignoring the facts and ignoring the other possible outcomes.

I’ll give an example of this… We let Ryder walk. He signs an inflated contract with the Bruins, and has some small immediate success. People in Montreal are up in arms blaming the coaches and management for letting him go and not understanding or choosing to ignore the reality of the situation. We see in hindsight now that it was the correct move, as he has not lived up to his performance from his first 3 years since.

The point of this is we CHOOSE to remember certain things about the players without actually understanding the situation. There is a degree of risk associated with every move. So far we have lost a few, but won many more than we lost.

So I will finish with this point. It’s not something people look at without a biased opinion. So let’s look at the difference. In the last 5 years we have gained these players, and lost these ones…

LOST

BROUGHT IN

Spacek, PK Subban

Gill, Picard

Gomez, Cammalleri, Gionta

Pouliot, Eller, Moen

Halpern, Boyd, Pyatt

Considering what we kept… Kostitsyn, Pleks, Markov, Gorges and Price… How much better is that team looking???? Im sorry to say but the team we lost would not make the playoffs. The team we gained made the Conference Finals… Now I know what you will say, we made the Conference finals with Halak, Moore, etc, etc… The point is that the current Management has made us First in the East, Conf Finalists and 5 out of 6 playoffs.

They have done great things in a very competitive market. You simply CANNOT say we should have gotten this and this and this in hindsight because it is simply not possible for any team to go back after the draft and trade deadline and pick and choose what to do based on the reality of what has ALREADY happened.

ALL IM SAYING IS KEEP THIS IN MIND. We think only about the last 5 games. We only see what we want to see, and we have the benefit of knowing what happened when we complain about what was done…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

66. Kain292 says:

You’re misconstruding what I said. I was saying that only being shot on twice is not an excuse for letting the goals in, that because the D-men were keeping the pressure off him, is no reason Price was scored on. Being scored on twice because they were good scoring chances is one thing; blaming them on the defence doing too good of a job is another.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

67. Castor says:

Hey I know that actor Stubbs is quoting! Good actor!

I hope they’re right about AK

68. Kain292 says:

Lol’d @ Toronto

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

69. pic1983 says:

Very well said.  To fire Martin and Bring in boucher after getting to the ECF (which i dont credit to Martin) is akin to trading away a performing free agent that you just signed for another teams top prospect.  It may be the right move, it may be the wrong move, but from a PR standpoint, you just can’t justify it.  Its easier to justify keeping Martin, than it would be to justify firing Martin and keeping Boucher if the team didnt perform under Boucher.

If your team has success and you still fire the coach, well than you’re just Lou Lamoriello, and Uncle Lou isnt looking so great these days.

70. JF says:

I didn’t even bother reading the article.  I knew what it would say, and, although it was a bitter pill to swallow at the time, I accepted that there was no way the Habs could have kept Boucher.  I certainly hope he’ll be back before too long, but in case that doesn’t happen, the organization had better be on the lookout for other rising stars among the francophone coaches.  Meanwhile, although I was a harsh critic of Martin’s coaching last year, I find that so far he’s been doing a good job.  The team is ready each game, most of his in-game adjustments have been working, and above all, I think we’re playing less passively and making better use of our speed than last year. Also, I think we saw in the playoffs last year that his experience is a valuable asset; he outcoached both Bruce Boudreau and Dan Bylsma.

71. smiler2729 says:

The CrowdWave?

Geez, y’know, going to an NHL game has become so freakin’ annoying. I regularly attend games in Buffalo, Montreal, Toronto and Columbus and all the gimmicks of the “in-game” experience are more of a distraction and take away from the game itself.

The best of the four is Montreal and Buffalo where Hab fans really don’t need the loud music between faceoffs and the Sabres also pretty much just stick to the game with only the obligatory t-shirt launches into the crowd.

Columbus is not bad but they can be excused for lacking an actual hockey team BUT Toronto suffers from its quiet-as-a-library atmosphere and lame ass copycat “ceremonies” trying to emulate the Habs. Throw in the endless in game promotions and loud rap music and you’d swear you were at the whitest Raptors game ever.

72. pic1983 says:

“And Markov is coming back”

That last bit is truly the X-factor for us.  Its like acquiring an all-star player and not giving up anything.  Our 5 on 5 scoring has been exceptional to start the year, our PK has been excellent, and with our Powerplay getting a sure boost from Markovs returns, the habs should be good to go.

73. avatar_58 says:

Speaking of the dogs – I was at the dissapointing home opener.

Some thoughts –

Dumont is interesting. Fast and skilled, but very very raw. He could be one to watch, but he needs to work on his positioning without the puck.

White is White. Not an excellent game, but he was there.

Pacioretty is FAST. Wow. 2 assists I think? Good game for him.

Maxwell with 2 goals, who is this guy? This game and the preseason he’s impressed. Not the same Maxwell we saw on the habs that’s for sure. Problem is he doesn’t really fit anywhere yet on the team.

Meyer needs work. Some nice saves but he missed some easy ones and allowed the Marlies back into it.

Defence is an issue. I don’t like what I saw. Could be a long season if they don’t sign someone or Weber/Carle don’t take it on their backs. Henry is like Gill – too slow to keep up, only he doesn’t possess Gill’s shot block.

74. volcano62 says:

Fact is 2 goals on 2 shots is terrible and embarrassing at NHL level. With that said, Price has been playing way better than anyone expected.

I have hope this team will win the stanley cup this year without Halak.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

Measure of a great goalie in the making is when he battles back from the bad goals Red. Two defiant glove saves on OTT to close out that period and let his teammates know he wasn’t done, not by a long shot.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

76. Habsrule1 says:

Good post RGM. Red is really showing his age here….makes no sense at all. all goalies will let in goals, good & bad. I actually didn’t think the goals were that bad, but I was a tad concerned because they both were in the same area (glove side). Price had my questioned answered later in the period when he flashed the glove for a great save. The problem is not letting in a couple “questionable” goals, but how you rebound from it.

I was an advocate for the Halak trade because I think Price is the better goaltender, and I still believe it.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

77. RGM says:

I just don’t understand a comment like this from Fisher regarding the two goals in the second period:

“What’s going on here? Price had performed as well as could be expected in the team’s first four games, but was this to be the night he was to suffer a meltdown? Two Ottawa shots, two goals. It happens to every goaltender, including future Hall of Famers (hi there, Martin Brodeur), but you accept it only from the great ones.”

So if any goaltender less than the calibre of a Hall of Famer lets in a couple goals it’s unacceptable, in Red’s eyes. Translation: Carey Price has to allow only one goal every night for the rest of his career. It doesn’t matter that the team won the game, no, the important thing to remember is that Price let in two goals and that just cannot be accepted. Get with the program, kid, until you’ve won 3 Stanley Cups you’re not allowed to “suffer a meltdown” or surly scribes will pen inflammatory diatribes against you. It must be nice for the other 29 goalies in the NHL to not have to deal this sort of garbage.

78. le_vrai_jacques says:

yes, never any mention of Hamrlik, Spacek, O’Byrne, Darche. All about Price.

79. habs365 says:

I don’t understand why Price is always mentioned if he doesn’t play perfect, why don’t they talk about all the forwards and defencemen that don’t show up every game if they scored more goals for him, he’d probably play better than he is now and I think he’s playing great. so come on give carey a break and pick on the players that’s not scoring, there’s only one carey price, and there’s 20 players that should be producing more in front of him.

The fans should be getting on them  “good luck carey, I hope you and the team go all the way this year”

coming from a real Habs fan.

80. RGM says:

I’m saving both of these jokes. That’s gold, gentlemen, gold!

81. JF says:

Very funny and original take.  I love your sects – especially the “Church of the Latter Day Tankers”.

82. SlovakHab says:

Brilliant!!

Count me among The Orthodox Optimists. :)

83. SlovakHab says:

Both jokes: Absolutely awesome!

84. SeriousFan09 says:

I knew I saved some of last season’s work for a good reason:

I’ve always acknowledged the Habs as a religion and even broken down most of the religion’s major sects:

The Priceinites: a sect that lost popularity but is now seeing a resurgence as their patron saint has begun performing miracles again.

The  Halakians: A diminished group as the Priceinites seem to be convering their followers, but the Fundamentalists seem to be sticking around.

The Church of Latter-Day Tankers: Another dying group ever since their Archbishop HH converted last May.

The
    General Protestants:
    No move is the right move according to them, the entire Habs movement has been off the rails for about 17 years and nothing’s gone right since, team’s due for another 17 years of failure because the beatified Halak was traded.

The Orthodox Optimists: Those who believe great days are ahead and are often at war with Halakians and GPs.

Than you have the group that was so negative
    they broke off from the General Protestants to become the Timoists.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

85. Dave Stubbs says:

Gazette runs a story today from Vatican City about the crowd in St. Peter’s Square for the Saint André ceremony – the Catholic Church’s version of Hall of Fame induction? – and there’s mention of a worshipper from Mississauga, Ont., on site wearing a Canadiens jersey. He says he’s also praying for the Habs because “they shouldn’t have traded Halak.”

Who said the Canadiens aren’t a religion?

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

86. Dave Stubbs says:

Only because the next game’s not until Thursday, and in keeping with the Saint André theme, and because it’s pretty funny: this was sent to me recently by a friend:

Four Catholic men and a Catholic woman were having coffee.

The first Catholic man tells his friends: “My son is a priest. When he walks into a room, everyone calls him ‘Father’.”

The second Catholic man says: “My son is a Bishop.  When he walks into a room people call him ‘Your Grace’.”

Gentleman No. 3: “My son is a Cardinal.  When he enters a room everyone says ‘Your Eminence’.”

The fourth Catholic man says: “My son is the Pope.  When he walks into a room people call him ‘Your Holiness’.”

Since the lone Catholic woman was sipping her coffee in silence, the
    four men give her a subtle, “Well….?”

Finally: “I have a
    daughter. Slim, Tall, 38D-24-34. When she walks into a room, people say, ‘Oh my God’.”

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Great post, Robert.  Glad to see something creative and original on H I/O.

88. Mike Boone says:

Ba-da boom!

Dave’s here till April.

Try the steamies.

Priest to rabbi: Have you ever tried ham?

Rabbi: No

Priest: Ah, too bad. It’s delicious.

Rabbi: Have you ever had sex?

Priest: No.

Rabbi: Trust me, it’s better than ham.

89. JF says:

Red’s article was completely off the mark.  He calls Gionta’s goal “one of the few bright spots” for the Habs and he focuses on the two saves Price didn’t make rather than, for example, the great save he made shortly after on Regin to keep the game tied.  There were lots of bright spots in that game – Gionta’s goal, Ak46’s bulldozer-like presence, the continuing excellence of Plekanec and Gorges, among others.  But perhaps, as J.T. suggests, the brightest was Price’s ability to bounce back after the two goals and the confidence his teammates showed in him by not backing up and trying to protect him but instead going out and trying to score and win the game.  Last year Price and the whole team would probably have come unravelled after two quick goals; Price has matured since then and, whatever people said last season about the team not having confidence in him, they certainly showed confidence on Saturday night.  Over the course of the season, this will be a huge positive.

90. RGM says:

That’s the thing – even the best goalie having the best season of his career will still be beaten on 7%-8% of the shots he faces. It happens. I think he should have had the second one, but he didn’t. I accept the reality that goals against are going to happen. As you say, it’s how the goalie responds to the goals against – the astute Francois Gagnon noted on Sunday that Carey probably would not have rebounded well last year to those goals. On Saturday, he showed folks that he had let them go and continued to focus on the task at hand. He only had a few more shots the rest of the game, but he stopped them all and gave his team the chance to win.

I think that’s what is being lost in Red’s article – the team won the game and yet there were “few bright spots” for the Habs. How about the determination shown by the entire team to tie the game? How about tilting the ice in the third period? How about the resurgence of Kostitsyn? How about the defence keeping Ottawa to the outside and limiting their chances? How about Price closing the door the rest of the way? That’s a lot of bright spots. Not every game has to be an 8-0 pounding to be a good win.

91. j2w4habs25 says:

I was stunned to see that save lol. I thought I was the only one here who believed in Price. I wanted right from the begining Price to stay and Halak go. I got this good feeling about Price.

92. Bob Barker says:

I thought the whole weak glove hand had been disproven by the goalie stats guy on Robert L’s old site. He had stats showing that there wasn’t a disproportionate amount of goals beating Price glove side.

Goalies are so good along the ice now that most NHL players go high given the opportunity. 2 shots glove side is hardly a statistical anomaly.

93. SeriousFan09 says:

Hawks are always a good show I find, Sharp, Kane, Keith, Hossa and Toews are a lot of fun to watch.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

94. sholi2000.com says:

Oh Long Until the Summit?

Sigh

Guess I’ll choke down a Blues/Hawks game tonight.

They Call Me Shane

95. Kain292 says:

Agreed. I loved watching them last year in the playoffs. Would’ve like to be watching the Habs in the final, but the Hawks were entertaining at least.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

96. Kain292 says:

Couple of interesting articles. Hopefully the owner of the team know they don’t need that CrowdWave stuff. AK is promising so far, but I’m not jumping on the bandwagon just yet. If he plays like this for the rest of the season, we’ve got a real asset. If he has another meltdown, then I don’t think he’ll be here next season. Still, hopefully with Sergei gone he can focus on the game and the team rather than his little bro’s prattling.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

97. RGM says:

That’s what I loved most about those two saves – he could have just made the standard glove save, but instead he emphasized it with a little mustard and that “lookie what I got” attitude that shows he’s on his game.

98. Bill H says:

Great piece on AK46, Mr. Stubbs.  A very good summary of AK’s difficulties.  And absolutley correct that 5 games don’t make a season, but who isn’t feeling optimistic about his fantastic start.  Brother Sergei, knee surgery, and missing the Olympics could very well account of AK’s poor season last year.  When he injured the knee, I hear he was a regular in the line up at Schwartz, a weak attempt to drown the emotional pain with smoked meat.

99. j2w4habs25 says:

OMG I didnt even know the next game is until Thursday against Jersey; ever so long! :(

100. SeriousFan09 says:

With Brother Andre’s noted healing touch, here’s to the other Andrei back in the lineup this week!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

101. RGM says:

I couldn’t help but chuckle yesterday at all the stories about Brother Andre getting elevated to sainthood. I found it very fitting that it happened the day after our own “Brother Andrei” played one of his best games in the past year and has really elevated his game.

102. larisalapointe says:

I always expected him to play stellar. You mean better than you expected, don’t you?

103. Habsrule1 says:

This is going to be a long 4 days. Can we start a petition to never have more than 3 days between Habs’ games?