Monday: Come meet Habs icon Elmer Lach at Pointe Claire Oldtimers tourney

Elmer Lach

Canadiens great Elmer Lach on his neighbourhood rink in January 2010, on the occasion of his 92nd birthday.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

The 43rd annual Pointe Claire Oldtimers charity hockey tournament begins Monday, April 16 at 3 p.m. at Bob Birnie Arena (map here) with Canadiens legend Elmer Lach and The Gazette and hockeyinsideout.com’s Dave Stubbs dropping the ceremonial faceoff to get the six-day event underway.

The game between teams of 70-year-olds from Pointe Claire and South Shore will start the action that will include 1,200 players from 82 teams coming from as far afield at Switzerland, Vancouver and various points of the U.S.

The tournament will wrap up Sunday with 15 finals, from 9 a.m. until after 6 p.m

Last year’s tourney raised more than $100,000 for charity with 52 needy groups, most in the West Island, benefitting from the sum raised.

Tournament chairman Rudy Erfle said this year’s event aims to top 2011’s record-setting total, the Pointe Claire Oldtimers again to hold a November donation evening at which representatives of many charities will receive their cheques.

A large tent erected in the arena parking lot on Maywood Ave., between Drake and Douglas Shand avenues, will be the hub of many activities this week, including a Friday (April 20) karaoke night and a Saturday night dance with live music. A barbecue will operate outside the arena Friday through Sunday, April 20-22.

All are welcome to drop by for a bite, a pint or a soft drink, and to watch the action, with money spent on refreshments, souvenirs and a terrific silent auction all going to a great cause.

Among the silent auction items: a winner and two guests will attend a Bell Centre Canadiens’ game-day morning skate one Saturday next fall with Stubbs, along with a behind-the-scenes look at the Habs dressing room and a visit to the Bell’s press gallery high above the ice.

Canadiens’ great Elmer Lach, 94, will be onhand for a short while after Monday’s 3 p.m. tournament faceoff to greet fans and pose for photos. A freewill offering to the event’s charity collection would be gratefully accepted.

• Tournament website: pcot.ca/tournament

1. JF says:

I’ve decided I’m a Flyers fan for these playoffs. What resilience, what grit, what determination. I really admired Holmgren’s moves over the summer, but I’m absolutely awe-struck now. That’s how you build a contender; not by sitting at the bottom for about five years the way the Penguins did, but by good drafting and brilliant trades – first the deal with Nashville that brought them Scott Hartnell, then the blockbuster deals last summer that turned two problem players into four. You listening, Geoff Molson? That’s what you want in a GM – not someone who habitually turns two players into no players the way Gainey and Gauthier did. But I fear the Habs are years away from having such a team.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Hartnell, I hate ‘em and want ‘em at the same time. What a player!

• Stormin says:

Hartnell rocks i would take him in a second, and after the all star game when he was mic’d up and he told Dion Phaneuf to suck it, I like him even more. Must be a great team mate, damn he scored over 30 this year as well.

______________________________________________
        “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
        Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

• The Jackal says:

Hahaha, or in 24/7 he tells a guy something along the lines of he’s the ugliest guy in the league.

• Stormin says:

They should leave him mic’d up all the time i would become a Flyer’s fan for sure. He seems like quite the character.

______________________________________________
            “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
            Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

• SuperHabFan says:

I’d put is hair on our third line. It’s got more character

• habs_54321 says:

thats the way i think of the penguins as well, i don’t hate them i actually kinda like them and i love the way they play but their is something about the way they sucked on the nhl’s tit the way edmonton is doing right now for to long to actually cheer for them, it’s to bad letang and malkin are my two favorite players yet i can’t seem to find the will to root for them

• Stormin says:

You do know kris Letang is really
        Xavier Laflamme from the movie goon or at least it is his twin brother

______________________________________________
        “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
        Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

2. Stormin says:

David Fischer over Claude Giroux how was that possible and Giroux dream was to get picked by the Habs. Unbelievable

______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Another beer usually helps in soothing the aftermath of some drafts picks.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Thats just what I was thinking. So tragic.

• Bill says:

Ugh, I bet a lot of teams would like a do-over on that pick, but it really sucks for us since he was in the Habs’ back yard.

David Fischer … jeez Timmins.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• mrhabby says:

Simply unreal that he was missed…flyers have a good template but requires a gm with big balls….Iam a little envious.

• Stormin says:

Apparently the Flyers did a great job because Giroux was only projected to go mid way through the second round, from what I hear Timmins thought he would be around when we had to take Ben Maxwell at 49

______________________________________________
        “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
        Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

• Bill says:

Took Fischer when they should’ve taken Giroux and Maxwell when they should’ve taken Lucik! I know about hindsight bias and all, but that was a draft year to forget!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stormin says:

Your right Bill it is fun to back seat drive, but they have to take some big time criticism at times as they do get paid for a job we would love to do. I would really like to see transparency though, i Know we never will except here say, or in a book, but who makes the final decisions draft day, i bet you the GM over rules his scouting staff frequently, and this i would love to know. I think fans deserve more transparency as we are the ones that in retrospect pay all the bills.

______________________________________________
            “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
            Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

• showey47 says:

From every list i’ve seen for the final rankings of the 2006 draft,only one had giroux ranked ahead of fischer. Most had him ranked in the 2nd round with alot of these lists not even including europeon skaters and goaltenders. You can tell it wasn’t bobby clarke who did the scouting work on him since he couldn’t even remember his name when the flyers drafted him,lol.

3. jedimyrmidon says:

Wow, talk about meltdown in Pittsburgh.

4. Adidess says:

Funny with Fleury on the bench, Pittsburgh net looks pretty much the same it’s looked all night…

All I can say about Philadelphia is that is how you build a team. I would also say the Habs are 5 maybe 7 years away from having such a team. Unreal.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

A team that finished with 56 pts back in 07. A team built to survive in the playoffs.

A well organized team.

• hablifting says:

I still think that Pits is the better team overall, but yeah. If you wanted a template of a great, exciting team …. Pick either of these. The Habs front office could learn much. The telling thing is that even with Crosby/Letang injured they still won.

The kids 18 and already has Bobby Clarke teeth.

EDIT: 19. But still.

7. hablifting says:

Uhhg. Hate watching the undeserving team win games. Bleh. Couturier with the hat trick. Embarassing.

8. L Elle says:

When Crosby and Letang and others were injured, Malkin totally stepped up, and was on fire.

Malkin might be tired of being second to Crosby. Maybe he might like to be top dog in Montreal?

9. hablifting says:

I have never seen so many bounces go one way. Crazy. No way this can last.

10. Mr_MacDougall says:

Malkin is the Phil Mickelson of Hockey.

11. rogieshan says:

With their number of elite centers, I wonder if the Penguins would consider trading Jordan Staal for the Habs’ 1st pick?

12. Adidess says:

Fleury isn’t helping

• Stormin says:

they took fleury and could have had Eric Stall who went second after Fleury in their draft year

______________________________________________
      “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
      Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

13. twilighthours says:

For all his stanley cup winningness, fleury isn’t a great goalie. I’d take Carey overt him, every time.

• hablifting says:

If these were clean shots maybe. So far nothing but lucky bounces and defensive miscues. Pens should be up 5-2 or worse. Price gets the same sort of crap in front of him as well.

• Adidess says:

Fleury can be stinky bad when he’s in a funk, but he’s a better goalie than Carey at this point (and I’m a Price fan). Carey is a big, technically sound, positional goalie, Fleury is an athletic puck-stopper who’s pretty clutch (though not what is on display tonight). I’d take Fleury on every breakaway.

Another difference with Carey is at this point in the game (6 goals allowed), you’d be better off yanking him, his head is not there anymore. Fleury is a ‘man I suck so far, but I don’t give a damn’ goalie, he can still win you the game.

——————————————–
      A big Centreman, please. Thank you!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

How’s Price’s record against the Flyers in the playoffs?

• showey47 says:

When has the habs ever scored 5 goals or gave him a 3 goal lead to work with in the playoffs? Once,maybe twice? Oh wait there was the centennial year playoffs when the habs scored 5 goals,oh nevermind that was in a combined 4 games vs the bruins.

14. hablifting says:

Man these Flyers. So many lucky bounces. Shouldn’t even be close.

16 teams make the play-offs. That 4 of the best 8 teams have to meet in the 1st round is ludicrous. The NHL should have (notice I didn’t write of) followed the NBA’s method and seeded the teams from 1 to 8 based solely on points with division winners not factoring into the equation.

It makes for a good first round I’ll admit but it still skewers things further. This Bettman era is shambles in terms of league integrity. Yes they are making in roads in non-traditional markets and are selling the game further. But at what cost?

I don’t believe integrity and increased sales need to be mutually exclusive. It is not difficult for me to envision a union between the two. But I don’t see it in today’s NHL. The NHL has a long way to go to achieve the standards being set in the NFL for example.

And yes I am including the inept NHL refereeing with out review and the lackadaisical and distorted dealings with head shots in particular and injury inducing plays in general. Don’t get me started about the OTL point and the shoot-out. I’d prefer that the league have ties than the gimmick to not settle games but to skewer the standings further and make it seem like every team has a winning record and is in it right up until the few last games of the season.

Snake oil.

• mrhabby says:

Have you seen the flyers pens game…unreal.

• punkster says:

While HH has a point I do like the fact that matchups like Pens/Flyers gives the first round some meat.

I doubt there’s a perfect playoff scenario if you’re going to allow half the league into the post season.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with all of that. Also, minimum suspension of 3 games in the regular season.

The “bonus point” is the oddest thing about the NHL. Shouldn’t “all games be created equal”? There is not anything terrible about playing a sports game to a draw, but the NHL seems to think so.

16. RGM says:

Just got back from the Remparts/Mooseheads game. Went to Game 4 on Wednesday as well. Have to say, I am not impressed with Grigorenko. I was high on him going into these two games as the potential Habs selection, but after two playoffs games…I’m not sure now. Floats a lot, didn’t win a ton of puck battles, didn’t generate much. He had a goal in Wednesday’s game, but with the Remparts up 3-0 in the series he didn’t display much of a killer instinct. It’s now 3-2 going back to Quebec City. When the Remparts were down a goal in the final minute, he wasn’t out for the last segment even after the timeout. MacKinnon nearly spun him into the ice in one play.
    I’ve been advocating for Grigorenko as the Habs’ selection, but after seeing him play for two games, I see why some who have seen him more often than I are reluctant.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• twilighthours says:

This is all useful information. Thanks for the scouting report.

• RGM says:

It ain’t much and I’m sure no pro scout, but I do what I can.
        I was looking for him to see what he’d do, and it was reminiscent a little bit of bad Kovalev. LOL

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Stormin says:

I have seen him play a few times as well, and left the Remparts game more impressed with their young rookie from Pointe Claire, Anthony Duclair. I believe the Habs have to pick Galchenyuk ahead of grigorenko as long as he is available at the 3 pick

______________________________________________
      “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
      Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

17. H.Upmann says:

Just remembered PG’s one cookie rule for journalists … Or was it no cookies allowed?

18. Adidess says:

Watching the first round so far has reminded me how tough it is to win a series, especially as a lower seed. It’s almost like the team that wins should get a week off to recover.

I guess what I’m saying is I have a new found appreciation for the conference final run we had two years ago.

There was no way such a small team was going to reach the Stanley Cup finals after two 7-game series and with no home ice. So…

19. How good is Crosby?
    4 points in 2 games against the Flyers.. and he’s not even 100%, just came from a concussion.

Hands down best player in the NHL. No one comes close.
    If anyone it’s Malkin. I hate the Penguins fans but I love their team. That being said I don’t hate the Flyers either. Their GM is smart and there is so so much talent on that team with tons of young players upcoming.

I just don’t see Bryzgalov carrying that team though.

20. jols101 says:

AK46 has one for the Preds

21. otter649 says:

Pens & Flyers scoring – 70s & 80s revisited……..

22. Kimberly2u says:

Go Flyers go

23. jols101 says:

Ballsy move not having Crosby on the 1st PP unit. If Flyers win Bylsma probably going to hear about it…

24. mrhabby says:

Flyers back in it….claude g…unreal.

25. Les Canayens says:

With the Cammelleri jersey incident, reading about PG banning “vanity numbers” during his time in Ottawa didn’t sound too far fetched now.

• D Mex says:

Agree with all who have commented on the pettiness of this situation.
      It would look bad on any pro sports organization, but is that much more of a stain on an outfit with as much reputed class as the CH.

I’d like to see the Habs strategize getting in front of this one :
      Demonstrate that all funds raised go to a worthwhile cause (eg : children’s hospital, Max Pacioretty Foundation, etc) or something along those lines.
      Put the heat back on Cammy – seems the story had to have originated with him and that, too, strikes me as petty.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Les Canayens says:

Do they have small prints inside the jerseys stating it remains the property of the organization during and after players stay with the team? Like a library card or something LOL?

The next team that Mr. Gauthier manages (if that is even possible), players traded mid-game will just get out of town still in full gear if they hope to keep anything.

• Stev.R says:

I never heard of this incident until now and I find it very funny. I have to believe PG was joking when he told Cammy he had to pay $1250 for his jersey. But if not, I don’t really care. If jerseys are really $1250 each, then I can understand why you don’t want to give one away for free.

• D Mex says:

A drop in the bucket for a major league sport franchise.
        Edit : a drop in the bucket for a major league athlete as well …

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• RGM says:

They don’t. You can buy the authentic NHL RBK Ice Premier jerseys for $350. Maybe Gauthier felt that the “value added” of a game-worn Cammalleri #13 pumped it up a bunch. I know that they were pretty big sellers for the Habs back when he was on the team.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

26. ont fan says:

Wow..Suter and Weber on the powerplay.

27. HabFab says:

As anyone seen this before;
    “Last week it came to light that Hamilton Bulldogs defenseman Olivier Dame-Malka had been using his Facebook to troll for “hookups” with young female fans. While the same thing could happen at any Montreal or Hamilton bar, the lack of age restrictions on social media introduces additional concerns. His behaviour was at the very least unsavoury and unbecoming.”

28. Adidess says:

This Dysney Grogby kid isn’t too bad.

29. Kimberly2u says:

Wait for Cindy to start whining soon

30. Kimberly2u says:

Its not like Camel-Larry can’t afford to buy his jersey making all his money to not go in to the corners to try to get the puck

• Psycho29 says:

Unfortunately it’s 2012 and hockey is now a big business, plus from what I understand all the teams have a deal in place for game worn sweaters.
      I don’t like it, but that’s how it is….

31. H.Upmann says:

Hilarious Cammy jersey story! Gauthier being an antagonist and all.. Glad he’s gone!

32. jols101 says:

I guess the “smurf” syndrome only applies when ur smurfs are weak and ineffective. Crosby, Dupuis and Sullivan is as smurfy a line as they come yet no one talks about it because they get the job done…

33. Kimberly2u says:

The crying and whining will come when they lose this game too

34. twilighthours says:

And Crosby is so so so so good

35. twilighthours says:

Honest to ****. That PG/cammalleri/jersey story makes me sick. Pathetic. PG deserved his firing for that incident alone.

What an embarrassment.

@Dagger,thanks for posting the Rex Murphy clip, brilliant. I have some Leaf fans with me on the vacation I am on, I will be bringing the laptop out during drinks later and will show them!

Hope everyone is doing well, Ron Hextall for GM? Huh what is going on up there in Montreal.

CHeers!

37. pmaraw says:

this no gm being hired yet suspense is killing me! i’m not saying rush it, its eating me up tho

• Habfan10912 says:

Pma, club may have eyes on some folks involved in playoffs. I’m thinking nothing gets done until playoffs finished or near finished. Patience my friend.

The good news is Pierre Gauthier will never be hired by another NHL team.

The bad news is the Maple Leafs will never hire him.

• Habfan10912 says:

There are plenty of rich dumb people.
      Isn’t it amazing that this guy stayed on the job as long as he did? I’m still scared for the future HH. Very scared.

• habstrinifan says:

Love this post. It isnt right to be hateful but I find so much satisfaction in knowing that we once and for all removed JM and PG from the NHL.

I just cant see them being hired by any team again.

• SuperHabFan says:

JM can absolutely be hired by some team. Our team was better with him as coach. Not saying I want him back or enjoyed his style, but I do prefer a system over some coach (carbo) who says they’re only missing heart..?how do you even coach heart in practice? He also showed a few years ago how he can help a team overachieve.. ECF

39. commandant says:

Future PP QB on Draft Day to eventually replace Markov?

40. Bripro says:

Well that it’s for me posters!
    Guinness and poker in an hour!
    Try and get along without me for a change….
    Good kids!

41. Shane1313 says:

Imagine leading the league in blocked shots this year ..after this..

I sure don’t know if I could do that!

42. HabFab says:

Does anyone know what time and channel the Habs game is on tonight? Anyone?

43. Strummer says:

Is Lach a UFA?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

44. Shane1313 says:

I was told this was the cool thread?

45. ccs says:

Hi folks I got a question that I hope can get answered. Growing up my favorite player was #44 Richer. I didnt get to see too many games on TV due to the fact we got like 3 or 4 channels. What I was wondering was what lead up to him leaving the team? Was he traded or left as a free agent? I know he wasnt traded mid game or he never walked up to the president and told him that Ive played my last game as a Hab. Last player to score 50 goals for the Habs isnt he…..I wish we had a Richer on this team now.

• Bripro says:

In the early 90s, he was involved in a multi-player trade that brought us Kirk Muller.
      It was reported then that he was quite the party boy, and the team had difficulty with that aspect.
      Also, I would say that since you only received the occasional game, you missed the ones where he sleep-skated.
      He was a phenomenal shooter and was dangerous on the ice….
      when the mood moved him.

• ccs says:

I guess thats why I didnt miss him too much if he got us Muller…One hell of a player he was for us…Ok instead of wishing for another Richer I wish for a Muller clone.

• myron.selby says:

The problem wasn’t that he sleep walked, he suffered from serious clinical depression. People forget he scored 50 goals twice for the Habs. Without the depression he would have scored 50 every year. He was a natural sniper, skated like the wind and at 6’2″ and 218 lb he could destroy people.

I remember him coming together with Messier in the corner one game and absolutely crushing him. Messier was laughing when he got up because it was so unexpected. He didn’t fight very often but when he did he was scary.

His depression got so bad he used to pretend he didn’t see the puck because he couldn’t handle having to play it. If you’ve never suffered from real depression take it from me – when it hits all you can do is fight to keep from killing yourself, never mind trying to play hockey. It’s impossible to describe to someone who hasn’t been there.

If the Habs would have gotten him the help he needed he would have been a top 10 scorer for them his whole career. He had as good a shot and as good eye-hand coordination as Mike Bossy, plus a real physical side to his game. Oh well – woulda, coulda, shoulda.

• Bripro says:

No I remember him well.
          He was a great player indeed. But at the time, as a young fan, his streakiness was frustrating.
          I had no idea of his depressive state until years later. He had retired by then. (10 years ago?)
          I’ve witnessed it through a family member.
          I took time off at the time, and stayed with this person, on suicide watch. It took time, but it passed. Horrible thing!

• Muckbringer says:

did you get to see the shot that went through the net? im at work so i cant get on youtube to post it for you. one of my favs of all time as well.

• LA Loyalist says:

Richer apparently suffered from depression or some similar ailment.

The guy could literally score at will, against anyone and was probably the purest talent we’ve had since LaFleur. Really sad how it worked out. The meds are probably a lot better now.

Malakov was also hugely talented – but motivation… intermittent. Then he went skiing at Christmas when he was supposed to be injured.

Roch Voisine? He just wouldn’t backcheck. Go figure.

Just another reason to be terrified at how things could go wrong with our best draft pick since Hayley Wickenheiser.

46. Bripro says:

Afternoon boys. Busy day today. I actually had some work to do.
    So give me an update!
    Who’s tanking?
    Who’s trashing?
    Who’s trading?
    Who’s hiring?
    And who’s practicing their GM’s thank you speech?

• Chuck says:

You forgot “Who’s stylin’?”

___________________________________________________

• otter649 says:

Who’s Trending….

• Dunboyne Mike says:

There you are, Bripro!
      Was chasing your shadow yesterday to apologise for an unfunny post. In case you’re not inclined to go back and witness my sack-cloth and ashes (it was the thread following the 1st night of the playoffs — about 3 posts following the original), please here accept my apologies! It was merely a failed attempt at humour — can’t even blame the early morning because I’m 5 hours ahead of you! Just bad!
      Mike

• Bripro says:

Don’t sweat it Mike. It’s all good.
        Everyone here has the habit of going in the general direction that their emotions take them.
        After a while, you get to ween out the good from the bad.
        Cheers! ;)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wasn’t emotional! Was attempting to show solidarity with you over another poster who really WAS grumpy! Not not emotional, just not funny either! Think of that scene in Fame where the stand-up guy gets no laughs at his second gig…!
          You’re gracious.
          Cheers

47. mark_ID says:

I’m curious to know where everyone sees Louis Leblanc’s role next year going forward?

Personally I don’t know if I even see him on the team next year(if we can avoid it by signing free agents that is). I don’t have a problem with LL, I just am not convinced that he is ready to be on our team full time. I think he has great hockey sense…but just not sure he will be able to contribute enough as a third liner. He was also taking alot of stupid penalties(a la Eller) near the end of the season.

Also, would you rather see either Grigs or Galchenyuk have his spot in the lineup, if they have an outstanding pre-season?

What do ya’ll think??

“Step off George”

• shiram says:

PK leads is the league leading D for penalties, yet no one mentions them as dumb…
      As for Leblanc, I think conditionning was an issue for him this season, if he can workout correctly this off-season, he could make a good 3rd liner on the Habs.
      He could not bulk up last summer as he was rehabbing an injury.

• Strummer says:

PK averaged 24 minutes a night- he’s bound to take the odd penalty.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• GrimJim says:

I think the best case with Leblanc would be for him to start in Ham. Let him follow the MaxPac route by playing 1st line minutes there then bring him up mid-season when he’s in a groove. This assumes he doesn’t have to clear waivers going down or coming up (which I don’t think he would).
      As for Grigs or Yuks, I think MTL is such a pressure cooker that bringing them in this year is fraught with peril to their long-term development. Latendresse had a great camp as an 18-year-old and made the team that first try. Then he subsided around Dec of that first year and wasn’t seen again until he hit Minnesota.

• Malreg says:

Galchenyuk has played something like 6 games in the last 352 days. Do you really think he’s going to make the NHL in October?

• LA Loyalist says:

I would prefer to sacrifice another year with some inexpensive short-term veterans than Tenderize some of the hopefully terrific kids we have coming. LeBlanc, Tinordi, our pick, etc., should be getting coaching and big minutes in Hamilton — like Price and Eller should have — elsewise we are just going to repeat the mistakes of the last 10 years, which I think we can all agree we don’t want to do.

Could a guy step up and be NHL ready? Sure, but in general, careful and patient will serve us better.

48. JohnBellyful says:

The dragnet continues for the elusive Habs GM. Follow the search committee as it visits the home of a prospective candidate:

Maid [or whatever they're called these days] opens door: Hello
    Committee member No. 1: My name is Friday, Joe Friday. This is my partner, Weldon, Tuesday Weldon.
    Maid: I recognize you! I’ve seen you on the sports broadcasts visiting a bunch of other places looking for a GM. Hey, Friday, I thought your partner was Bill Gannon, not Tuesday Weldon.
    Friday: It’s his day off, he’s out golfing with Rick Monday. Tuesday works with me on Wednesdays.
    Maid: Oh. So haven’t found your guy yet, eh? Still separating the wheat from the chaff?
    Friday: Just the flax, ma’am, just the flax. No wheat. The Montreal Canadiens want their next GM to have lots of fibre and a healthy heart, who can handle pressure and isn’t constipated when it comes to talking to the players, or the press.
    Maid: Sounds like a tall order. Well, c’mon in, the pair of you. The boss is on the phone right now. I was just about to make desserts for the family. Want a sundae Tuesday? Friday?
    Tuesday: I’m thirsty. Could I have a drink, please.
    Maid: Sure, honey. Friday?
    Friday: Water, straight up. Is your employer going to be long? We’ve got 12 other calls to make today, and then we’re off to Europe.
    Maid: Hard to say. He’s a busy man. Busy, busy. He doesn’t follow hockey like I do. And to think he once … never you mind, I’m speakin’ out of turn here. Esma, you just keep your big trap shut. These folks didn’t come all this way to have you tell ‘em Montreal’s next GM should be a Good Momma who can keep those boys in line. It’s true, though. They just need some direction in their lives, a little bit of maternal lovin’ to make them feel wanted … mixed in with a whuppin’ every now and then as soon as a toe goes over the line.
    The way I see it. the Canadiens have the fixin’s of a good salad, they just need a cook who knows which ingredients to add to make it kickass. And I don’t need to tell you that’s what the team needs to start doing, kick ass.
    With the help of some good ole flax salad dressing, of course.
    [voice rising, eyes a-gleam, hands clasped] I’ll tell you, when I look at the roster, and then look at who we could get in trades – and, oh, the draft! – why I get so excited I stay up nights
    Friday: Excuse me … ah, Esma? … Esma, it turns out we’re running a bit late and we need to rush back to Montreal.
    Esma: What should I tell the boss?
    Friday: We’ll be in touch, don’t worry … Uh, do you speak French, by any chance?

49. shiram says:

Hal Gill hurt, won’t play next Preds game.

50. habs001 says:

Okay if dd is only good with maxpac/cole than why move him off the line?…putting plecks and eller on the line i dont believe the lines production would be that much higher and could even be lower if they dont match…

• shiram says:

Separating Cole and Patches is based on this season’s failure with only one productive line.
      I don’t think it’s only Cole and Patches making DD good.

• habs001 says:

dd/maxpac/cole are working right now and you have to keep the line together until they start to struggle…more important is to get plecks and eller wingers that can increase both lines production….

• shiram says:

Sure, but there’s not many available free agents that can fill a top 6 role, and the Habs don’t have much depth to trade away for top 6 talent.
          The next GM will have alot of work to do.

• twilighthours says:

Funny how few people ever argue the converse – that Cole had a career year because of DD.

• Habsrule1 says:

No reason to change that line unless they are convinced no other players are good enough to make a second line with, in which case, they should get some better ones.

Go Habs Go!!

• habs001 says:

habs have to hope gion rebounds with 25-30 goals and borque gets 20 plus…it would also be nice to pick up a 15-20 goal scorer and maybe one of our own roster/prospect players suprises with some scoring…

51. Mattyleg says:

Headline on the BBC:
    “Escaped Wallaby Caught With ‘Fishing Net’

…am I the only one who clicked on the article to see how he’d managed to fahsion himself a fishing net?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

52. savethepuck says:

Does anyone on here know what Habs will be playing at the World Championships in a few weeks and for what countries
    ( confirmed acceptances). Also any that were invited or declined. I have not heard of any Habs playing for team Canada, I heard MaxP for the US, and assume Plex for Czech Rep but haven’t heard confirmation.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• RGM says:

PK for Canada
      MaxPac for US
      Pleks for Czech Republic

Weber & Diaz are both injured and won’t be going for the Swiss.
      Markov did not get an invite.

I didn’t hear anything about Emelin but he may get a call.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think anyone is playing for Canada.
      Which is good.
      This tournament is the JCPenney’s Bargain Bin of hockey tournaments.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You don´t think anyone is playing for Canada? What´s that supposed to mean? I really hope PK wins gold with Canada.

Stupid comment. When the best teams play I enjoy it much more than the NHL playoffs (as long as the Habs don´t play) and I´m not alone.

• Mattyleg says:

I forgot that PK was invited.

And as for ‘stupid comment’, takes a stupid comment to know a stupid comment.

And you may actually be alone.
          More alone than you know…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You´re really embarrasing yourself. Your ignorance towards the World Championships is one thing but you could at least have kept your bs for yourself…

• Mattyleg says:

Hey!
            You carry on like that, Bob, and I’ll only give you half of your allotment of rotten produce to throw at Yeürppii, the World Championship Mascot when he skates out for the opening ceremony.

And I preferred the tournament when they didn’t use the ‘three-tap’ faceoff. It’s the traditionalist in me, I guess.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Malreg says:

Russia invited Emelin. Haven’t heard if he said yes though.

• JohnBellyful says:

I didn’t have my glasses on so when I first read it, I thought it said Russia invaded Emelin. And then I thought the Cold War is back. In a very bad way. Which made me wonder why Emelin was taking his time answering anything but no.

53. LA Loyalist says:

The night Mike Cammaleri was traded, between periods, as we all remember very well, he asked Pierre Gauthier if he could keep his jersey — and PG said, sure, for $1,200. He wasn’t joking.

I heard this story directly. My source is not a Habs fan and had no dog in the fight pro or against MC or PG. I don’t believe it has ever been published.

I was of course very embarrassed. That said, I admit I tend to get a little wound up around here… what do you guys think?

• ed lopaz says:

The story is apparently true.

3 years ago I told our buddy Serious Fan ’09 that Gauthier was a

classless, arrogant, piece of garbage.

To me, Gainey represented the “class” of the organisation.

How Gainey could have picked this trash to work with him is the question that will never be answered.

No matter how much hockey Gauthier knows, he does not represent the type of person needed to run the Habs.

Let’s turn the page.

Molson knows all of this now.

He will bring in some people we can be proud of.

• LA Loyalist says:

I keep a sliver of hope that one day Bob Gainey will write his memoirs. It would be fascinating.

• New says:

Trading picks for seasonal solutions? Carrying a player at 3 times his value thereby shorting yourself the three wingers you needed? Firing folks just before games, or trading them midway because they are frustrated with you? The man was daft.

I don’t think we should blame Gainey for anything until someone in ownership confirms Gauthier was Gainey’s choice or that Gilette and Boivin didn’t have serious input on who got hired. A lot of times I have seen organizations fail it was mainly due to nepotism or favoritism.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ed, you’ve provided an accurate description of my opinion of PG. Seemed like a shallow bitter person. Some of his management techniques are prime examples on not what to do. Good riddence. As far as Gainey, well I’m guilty as charged as to me he’ll always be 23.

• shiram says:

Meh guy was paid 6 or 7 millions…
      It’s a dick move, but he can afford it.

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s not the point.

Habs had the reputation of being one of the classiest organizations in hockey Certainly an important point when wooing FA’s and kids we draft.

Class would have been getting the rest of the team to sign it and Fed Ex it to Cammi the next day.

Do you understand the difference? I am really glad that PG is gone based on that incident alone.

• shiram says:

I guess PG was not feeling jovial with Cammy’s recent declaration?
          And I said it was a dick move, I just don’t see it as such a big deal, really.
          There’s also the charity that sell those ice played jersey, and I think that’s why he was asked to pay for it.

• GrimJim says:

How did your source say he knew this to be fact?
      Did your source witness this exchange himself?
      Did (s)he say he heard it from Cammalleri or Gauthier directly?
      Did (s)he hear it from someone in the room?

There’s a reason why judicial proceedings only allow direct witnesses to provide testimony, or ethical journalists confirm facts through two or three independent sources before publishing them.

• RGM says:

But it’s on the Internet so it has to be true!

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• LA Loyalist says:

Grimster, I was hesitant to post it for exactly the reasons you cite. That said, we’re not in court. I have to protect my source or I would never get anything else. He did NOT get it from “the internet”.

I can assure my source doesn’t care, he only told me because he knows I’m a Habs fan.

I’ll give you an example, I hear a certain amount of LA Kings stuff because my kid trains with several ex-King’s players who are still involved with the organization. Mostly I don’t care because I’m not a King’s fan. I may occasionally reference something IF it has broader implications for hockey in general or someone we might be considering trading for. But I don’t post stuff just because I hear it, I’m not a journalist, unless I have direct information.

A final example, I happened to meet Domenic Moore personally right after he was not re-signed by Habs and instead signed with Tampa. I posted that he was upset and disappointed, but I made it clear that was my opinion based on direct observation. I did not interview him or quote him. That’s all. I try to be careful because with the net this stuff can easily get out of context. I understand that.

• GrimJim says:

I understand wanting to protect your source, and your posts have been reasonable enough that I trust you (as much as I would trust anyone I haven’t met personally). I agree with you, that’s a pretty classless act.

• twilighthours says:

If this story is true, it is embarrassing. Utterly.

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s why I felt I had to post it. I trust my source, and if any of us were on the fence about PG, I thought it was significant. The very act of trading Cammi during a game was at best bizarre, and thus I felt the story was worth discussing with the commentariat.

As a Habs fan since 1984, my #1 concern (aside from winning the Cup :-)) is the overall perception of the organization in the hockey community. Maybe I’m a little sensitive about how Habs are perceived because I don’t live in Canada anymore and I meet Americans all the time who want to talk hockey.

• Malreg says:

It was reported in a Calgary newspaper. Cammalleri confirmed it was true, but he didn’t say what the price was.

54. twilighthours says:

Re: the next Habs’ GM, from the last post.

Up until now, I didn’t really have an opinion. But I think I’ve settled on what I want in my next GM: he should be former NHL player and a current NHL executive on the team (not business) end of things.

If that cuts the list down to Hextall and Bergevin, so be it.

I think the experience of being a former player is critically important and, frankly, undervalued by fans.

55. Chester says:

OMG.
    I don’t know if all have seen this.

Rex Murphy rips The Leaf. Hilarious.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s great!
      Some fantastic lines!!

“45 years: longer than it took to grow the trees that were cut down to make the sticks that they don’t score with.”

Priceless.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. Stev.R says:

I posted this last night, but I’m curious what more of you have to say.

The best way to build a championship team in the salary cap era is to have players who play better than what they are getting paid. Players are almost always overpaid when they are free agents, so the easiest way to get underpaid players is to draft them. Having young players make an impact on the roster is useful because they are still on entry level contracts.

It should also be a goal to try and get a lot of good drafted players to enter the league at around the same time, so that you can maximize the talent on your team with the minimum cap hit. If you only have 1 or 2 new players join the team every year, then by the time you build up a good group of guys, the older players will demand higher contracts and you will lose some of them.

Obviously the best way to get more than 1 or 2 impact prospects to make the team at one time, is to have as many draft picks as possible in a single year, as well as have someone who is good at drafting (Timmins). Next year MTL has 9 picks, 4 of them being in the first two rounds. Next years draft will definitely have a major influence on the direction MTL goes in the future.

But why not give ourselves a better future by acquiring more picks for next years draft. The only way to do this is through trades. But our team is made up of guys nobody wants, and guys we don’t want to lose. We don’t really have a lot of guys that are valuable and expendable. That’s why I think this summer is when we should go out and get 2 or 3 guys that will take short term contracts and are able to fill important roles for playoff teams. Not because we want to keep these guys for our own playoff run, but so we can trade them at the deadline and possibly get another couple picks in the top 60. We sign them, so we can trade them. Signing, trading and drafting are the only ways to add assets, and drafting is the cheapest.

It usually takes approximately three years for a drafted player to develop so realistically, this years draft (4 picks in first 3 rounds), next years draft, and the year after, are important in building a good wave of valuable players who will either be a core part of our team, or future assets to trade (cyclical).

This is what my brain was thinking about as I watch the playoffs. Anyone agree? Any FA’s this summer that will take short term contracts and who we can get a good return for at trade deadline day?

• ont fan says:

Philly traded a lot of 28 and over guys and went with prospects this year. They had a good core of young talent and traded for a goalie. So with that in mind you are right. Trade for prospects and draft choices and let them come together at the same time. It just happened quicker than they thot.

• New says:

I think you have a lot of valid points. The team wasn’t that far off this year. They were very badly managed. 7.5 million is at least two very good wingers. Two very good wingers would have carried Montreal into the playoffs this year where one very bad center at 7.5 showed he wasn’t needed.

Cut the mistakes in management and the rest will take care of itself.

57. Stormin says:

Was it just me or did anyone else find PJ Stocks Depends commercial last night leaving them saying what the

PJ Stock memo to self—- oops i crapped my pants, how can i make money off this,,, Call Depends
    ______________________________________________
    “Hockey Night in Canada, The Forum, New Years Eve
    Topps or O pee chee Hockey Cards & stick of gum”

58. Say Ash says:

The glass at TD Garden is my early candidate for Conn Smythe.

• christophor says:

Tough call between the TD glass, the NHL disciplinary committee wrt to Weber, and Tony Sericolo. Read about it Saturday from Dreger’s Mailbag.

Seeing as every team hasn’t even played game 1 yet, there should be many more surprise Conn Smythe candidates to come.

59. shiram says:

David Desharnais has not done anything to prove he is a better hockey player than Tomas Plekanec.
    Discuss? Come on this place is dead…

• Mattyleg says:

Sunny Friday… just be happy the trolls are hiding under their bridges, afraid of the uv rays.
      Spotted one on the other thread, but he didn’t see me!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Might be sunny but I’m stuck in a tall building with a window opening up on another building.
        I’ll go out for lunch, so that’s neat.

• RGM says:

Are you John Cena to his The Rock?

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• ed lopaz says:

Shiram,

David Desharnais made $850,000 last season.

He was certainly one of the most productive players vs Salary in the entire league, and instrumental in kick starting Max and Cole.

Is he a “better” hockey player than your buddy Tomas??

Did he bring tremendous value, effort, and skill to the team this season??

Absolutely!!

And just for good measure, there were a few posters here who insisted that DD was not made of the right stuff to even stick in the NHL.

Those posters are now hiding under a rock somewhere.

• shiram says:

It was my pathetic attempt at trolling to get a discussion started, mostly because alot are saying the first line is set with DD, while clamoring that Pleks should be a 3rd line center.

I like both those guys, and yeah DD is great value per dollar.

• Bill says:

I didn’t think DD would make it. Obviously I was wrong. I knew he was talented, but I didn’t he had that kind of drive to succeed.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• christophor says:

Agreed.

Love the guy. This is more about Plek being undervalued than DD being overvalued.

The DD line + Plek are way ahead of the rest in points and yet Plek has had no one to play with, tons of PK time, and far tougher opposition.

Plek is a keeper. If it came down to him or DD, I’d keep him. Though I don’t necessarily think Pleks is suited to center Cole and Patches, since he’s too valuable defensively. I love DD, but he’s the easiest to upgrade with a purely offensive beast. Eller is a great 3rd line center with secondary D-responsibilities behind Plek.

In short, I think DD is the one to go if any need to go, given the makeup of the rest of the lineup, NOT given his inferiority. (And maybe no one needs to go.)

• ed lopaz says:

Christopher, I will bet you as much money as you earn in a year that DD will not be traded.

Trading Desharnais is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!

There is an old saying in life, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

• christophor says:

I don’t think DD is broke but the team is. Sometimes you have to remove a few not-broke pieces along with the heap of broken pieces. If, by chance, a star centerman is acquired, I think Plek and Eller form a great #2, 3 punch. It makes more sense for DD to go. This is nothing about him being bad. He was the top Habs centerman last year, no doubt. I just don’t see this team moving into the ‘elite realm’ if they stick with the 3 centermen they have now. Maybe I’m wrong. It’d be nice to do it with all three of these guys.

The other option is moving DD to the 3rd line and Eller to the wing but I think you wouldn’t like that either. I don’t really.

• K-hab25 says:

I was just thinking of DD and how he’ll be half of the next great debate. Like Halak, DD is small, decent skill, not highly thought of at draft time and like Halak, we’ve fallen for his hardwork story and good production. The #3 pick will be like Price, big, talented and play a very important position on the ice. Will people give the pick the opportunity to fail and grow, or will they say DD’s got more points and is more reliable, let’s trade the 22 year old, former 3rd overall pick. It should make for an interesting topic for debate the next 3 or 4 years. You know when we’re not calling for the next GM and coaches heads.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

60. JUST ME says:

A sign that times have changed is that players like mister Lach are of a lost breed.

We will not have heroes like him or all the great ones.
    Great is not of today`s vocabulary. Not that it does not exist anymore but the true real stars that build a team,a dynasty,stays with his team ,his values through tkick and thin eliminate one after the others the ones that today have talent.

Just take a look at les anciens Canadien`s team and see by yourself how now the notion of greatness is fading away.

Definitely youngsters today should listen to those great ordinary guys for life lessons that still and always will apply .

• Propwash says:

Back when they played for the team, not for the money.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• Bill says:

There wasn’t much money to play for!

Am I the only one who thinks there are still great players who aren’t entirely about the cash? Not trying to be argumentative, just thinking.

Crosby has enough cash to retire, but he’s clearly driven to be great. Plays as hard as anyone ever did, I’d bet. And he’s a Penguin for life, unless they get loco and trade him. There are lots of top players who are great team guys, I think.

And there are still great teams whose players are dedicated to the Team: Detroit, Boston, Vancouver, Pitssburgh … these are clubs who’ve managed to build an identity that the players buy into. Hurts me to include Boston on that list, but the secret to their success is that all of those guys play for the B: they are a group and collectively support each other.

The worst thing about the money in pro sports is how it inevitably leads to roster turnover. You can’t have a “team” when half the roster changes every year. That’s another reason I think the above clubs have had success. Internal consistency, as much as it’s possible in a Cap league.

Full Breezer 4 Life

61. shiram says:

Nice hit by the glass on Krejci last night.

62. LafleurGuy says:

Re: Random Outcome of past drafts.

Just glad the convergence of circumstances, a perfect storm, resulted in Lafleur ending up in Montreal and not say a locale like Gilbert Perrault’s Buffalo. I want Montreal’s scouting team to be among the best in drafting in each of the slots, meaning this and that has happened with our 2nd rounders, and then the 3rd rounders, etc. Otherwise, just subscribe to the analyses of Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, and NHL Central Scouting Services, and others.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Hobie Hansen says:

That’s it, screw Pierre McGuire, bring in Bob Mckenzie as GM and Darren Dreger as his assistant!

• LafleurGuy says:

Our 2008 1st round pick, no. 25 overall, yielded us a few months of non-impactful play from Alex Tanquay. True, the Flames seem to have chosen a journeyman in Greg Nemisz, but between that slot, and the 56th pick which the Habs used to choose Danny Kristo, players like John Carlson, Tyler Ennis, Jacob Markstrom, Cameron Gaunce, Jared Staal, Patrick Wiercioch, and Derek Stepan were chosen and have played with their NHL teams. John Carlson is one year younger than Ryan McDonagh with similar size and stats and 2 more goals scored. Yes, yes woulda, coulda, but if this team were to be elite for an extended period, we have to have one of the best GMs, and one of the best scouting departments. No more David Fishers.

Karma landed Chris Pronger in Brian Burke’s lap in Anaheim. Karma smiled on Boston when Burke contacted them (not the other way around) about Leafs taking RFA Phil Kessel off their hands. We need that type of Karma.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Malreg says:

Really? Jared Staal? The only reason he was ever drafted is beacuse of his last name.

He’s terrible. Sorry, I understand your point, I just had to say that :P

63. habsfan0 says:

Elmer Lach was a great player, a true Habs icon.
    Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity of seeing him play.

On a lighter note, The 3 Stooges movie is being released today!

Hopefully, the actor who portrayed Curley Howard did a decent job,although I would have preferred to see Pierre Gauthier in this role.

Just add some padding, and nobody would have been able to tell the two apart.

64. smiler2729 says:

Sigh…

For a thread reserved for Elmer Lach, there’s not much talk about him or the event, just more of the same from the other threads.

We should hold SOME things sacred.

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

• Hobie Hansen says:

I wonder who Elmer likes? Price or Halak?

I doubt Lach is anything but a true team player and he likes Price. Unlike some of the spineless punks who call themselves Habs fans who whine about Halak all the time.

Price would have easily stopped that shot in double OT.

• Cal says:

Yes, but he probably would have let in the 3rd one earlier. ;)

• Clay says:

Wow…our boy (Price) isn’t even in the show. And when these 2 played on the same team, Halak won the starting job from Price. What does that say about Price then?

Or maybe we (read: you) could just cut the childishness and could at least show some respect for a player who gave his all for our team, showed dedication and integrity, and preformed very well when here?

__________________________
        ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bah, he looked small in the net last night. He played a couple months of good hockey on a team with a 120 year history. Long forgotten until “so called” Habs fans whine about him.

• Clay says:

Ok, so you refuse to cut the childishness then. Good – we have nothing more to discuss.

__________________________
            ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nah, just sticking up for the star goalie on my favourite team, that’s all.

• Cal says:

Remember, Price is a *. LMAO!
          Call me when he accomplishes something, like getting past the 2nd round.

• Propwash says:

If Halak wins a cup, THAT is accomplishing something.

_____________________________
            “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
            Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• K-hab25 says:

Well technically Price is a star, a 24 year old, 3 time all-star. He hasn’t won any cups yet and he may never win one, that’s a team goal, but I do think a vezina or two is in his future. The other guy well, he may luck into a vezina or two like Thomas, superior team and a light workload, but I highly doubt it. People like you claim Price isn’t good in the playoffs because of what happened in PHI as a 20 year old and in BOS as a 21 year old, yet praise Halak, who had his first NHL start 2 months from his 22nd b-day and his first playoffs he turned 25. In other words Price was put in a much tougher spot to succeed from day one. He was thrown in to a sink or swim situation, Halak on the other hand, wore water wings for a few years.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• BJ says:

I think he likes Halach

• Mattyleg says:

I dunno, it’s just saying that he’s coming to an Oldtimers’ event.
      There’s not much to say. If people want to say something, they can.
      He’s not ill or anything like that; the threads about Jean Béliveau weren’t good places to discuss Habs issues, I agree, but I think this is kinda different.

I just think it’s easier to post on the newest thread.
      Perhaps the HI/O posters should shift things around.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chuck says:

I hope that I’m still standing at 93, never mind being able to take part in a big charity event. Go Elmer!

___________________________________________________

• shiram says:

It seems like a nice event, I won’t be able to make it.
      I just don’t know what else to say about it.

• Bill says:

Elmer Lach is a Habs icon who embodies class and everything that the Montreal Canadiens stand for.

But I don’t think there’s a rule about the discussion on a thread being focussed on the topic of the headline :)

Full Breezer 4 Life

65. Mattyleg says:

Morning friends and allies,
    Watched the StL game last night.
    Whoooobaby. That was a cracker.
    I’ve never been fond of the Sharks, and would like to see the Blues beat them. They had tons of pressure in the SJ zone for most of the night, but couldn’t get shots through. I think, as the series progresses, the number of bodies between the shooter and the goal will diminish as StL finds ways to clear lanes, and the SJ defence gets banged up.

For those who think that the OT goal was ‘soft’… any shot on net has the capacity to go in, and no goalie is capable of stopping every shot he sees. It’s why people bother playing hockey at all, you know. Rolling-puck shots are notoriously difficult to judge, as their trajectories are uncertain. After 90-or-so minutes, everyone’s concentration starts to fail, so it’s normal. The longer the game goes on, the more likely that a ‘flukey’ goal will go in.

Oh, and BTW, I’m no Priceipist or Halakalot, neither.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Clay says:

One thing I took out of that game is that Antti Niemi is a really good goalie – I can see why he’s a cup winner. Constant pressure, and he performed admirably. I’m hoping the Blues take it, but this looks to be a great series if the first game is any indication.

__________________________
      ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• K-hab25 says:

As someone cheering for SJ in that series, I’m terrified of Niemi. Everyshot on goal was an adventure. He looks so odd positionally in net. He looks like a nervous beaver out there. St. Louis is clearly the better team and dominated the play, so through that lense, ya Niemi played great. Still scares the crap out of me though.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

66. Marc10 says:

Detroit to me does a decent job of drafting (post Datsyuk), a solid job of developing and a fantastic job of retaining talent & grafting on UFAs.

What they’re geniuses at is morphing generation after generation of players into the Wing work ethic born out of the Stevie Y era. From Helm to Bertuzzi, all those guys seem to work as a team with a purpose.

The result is a pretty solid team. We used to be like that but now we carry guys like Kaberle, Gomez and Bourque, and somehow seem fine with tolerating mediocrity.

I hope our new GM puts an end to that, cuts the deadwood, and returns the pride in the organization. I’m sick of seeing floaters.

67. habs03 says:

Man everything I read about Marc Bergevin is just amazing, I hope we hire him. Rick Dudley yesterday said he was in the top 1% in the league in term of talent evaluators. Has worked almost every position, won Stanley Cup in a management role. Keep Larry Carriere as ast GM, and were set.

68. K-hab25 says:

I’m confused, can someone help me out with something. I was watching SJ vs STL last night and it appeared Halak gave up a goal, a soft one at that, in OT. Now that just can’t be, I was told just yesterday that Halak, like Dryden and Roy, willed their teams to victory and refused to lose, especially in OT. So my question is, did you guys see the same thing, or was I just lied to yesterday?

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

69. Kfourn says:

Can we all agree that Halak or Price are not gods now. They are goalies that do the best they can and sometimes let in stinkers. Price happens to be on the Canadiens so I’ll root for him…thanks

• Chrisadiens says:

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• RGM says:

For the next 15-20 years, no we can not. But only because some folks prefer goalies playing on other teams.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• K-hab25 says:

Actually I believe they prefer any other goalie, than the one we have on our team. That’s the real shame of it. A large group of us want Halak to fail, because other wise we have to listen to the Price haters gloat. Reality is they prefered Huet, Halak, Desjardins, Auld, Budaj, Subban (Malcom), Niemi, ect., ect, ect. They don’t give a rats ass about Halak, they care about proving Carey sucks and for awhile it looked like Halak would be that proof. So they built him up into an elite superhero, that made every critical save and refused to lose. Problem is there overhyped deity hasn’t lived up to the hyperbole they’ve spun.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

• Clay says:

Interesting. Perhaps you are reading too much into this – it’s really not personal with Price. many just preferred the better goalie at the time.
          Perhaps Price will end up being the better one (I hope so!), but only time will tell that.
          __________________________
          ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

• K-hab25 says:

Well after 5 years of people complaining about anything regarding Price, while championing anything Huet, Halak, or any other goalie, not named Carey Price, accomplished. It leads you to believe the common denominator, is Price sucks.

Proud Pricebot since 2006/2007

70. LafleurGuy says:

Morning! What I draw from Andrew Berkshire or his colleague’s analysis of performance at the draft are a couple of insights. Montreal is the only team in the “top ten” who is not in this year’s playoffs. Detroit is not in the top ten, but as recently reported, they are the professional sports franchise that holds the current record streak of 21 consecutive seasons successfully qualifying for post-season play. It is clear that among the few ways of acquiring impact and star players, that “gettin’ ‘em young” is important. I brought up the fact about a month ago, among non-injured players on the Habs’ roster were only 7 players between the ages of 25 to 30, and that was a deficiency. Just consider the fact that this is the age group that most often gets to sign the biggest contract of their careers. Please GM (enter name here), no more trading away of the 20 to 25 year olds!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• LafleurGuy says:

You can substitute the words “giving away” for “trading away.”

I think I’m crabby this morning because some of the teams I watched the past 2 evenings are boring and not that good.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Mattyleg says:

I think certain posters would think that Detroit are not very good.
        These posters are known as the “Getting Into The Playoffs Is Not Good Enough” Gang. They are uncompromising. Tough. They say tough things to make us as fans tougher.

These tough guys would tell us that Detroit has only won the Cup 4 times in those years, proving that for 17 years, they simply Weren’t Good Enough.

I don’t understand how Detroit fans tolerated that kind of mediocrity!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think the point is that Detroit did extremely well drafting until 2004. Since then they’ve been poor. As the stars they drafted over 10 years ago start to age and retire they might have problems continuing to get into the playoffs – unless they can go the UFA route.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Phil C says:

I think you have identified that one of Montreal’s biggest problems has been poor asset management. This is one of the reasons I don’t mind a guy like Brisebois for GM. The Canadiens are already good at drafting, so they need a GM that can manage the assets more effectively, which would be Brisbois’ forte. For example, Steve Downey is a good young player who will be a UFA after next season. Tampa either tried to sign him this year, or decided that he would not be in their long term plans, so they traded him while he still had value and got a 1st round pick. Montreal let Streit become a UFA, then decided that he was too expensive. They need to decide earlier on these players and I like what Tampa did with Downey.

Price is in the same boat this year. I really think it is important that they sign Price to a long term deal this year. If he won’t sign, then I think they have no choice but to trade him while he still has value. I would hate to see him signed to a one-year deal, then watch him walk next year, that would be very poor asset management, especially since the Habs have almost no chance of winning the Cup next year.

71. kerrgte says:

i read the ‘eyes on the prize’ article referred to below.

the author says that Mtl has drafted the best talent out of all nhl teams over the last decade. That’s the work of Timmins. The author also says that Mtl has also developed their picks extremely well. In both these categories, Mtl was tops in the league.

the author goes on to say that Mtl’s GMs over the past decade have traded away top draft picks for less than they’re worth. This is the fault of the GM and not Timmins.

A really insightful analysis of the drafting, development, and trading processes.

thanks

• LafleurGuy says:

Respectfully, Timmins best work was Markov. We took Andrei Kostitsyn when we could have taken Corry Perry. Anaheim wouldn’t trade Perry for 2 first-round picks let alone a middle-of-the-pack 2nd that Habs got for Kostitsyn (which for now is more than the zilch they got for baby brother). We took David Fisher from the Minnesota high school system when the Flyers later took Claude Giroux. These two draft table decisions alone would have made for a completely different Montreal Canadiens team today. Jim Rutherford put together one championship team in Carolina, and it would be surprising if it happens again there. Because that team had a similar record to ours, and a similar make-up, I’m going to follow their record for the next few seasons as a measure of management success in Montreal. I hope Mr. Timmins does better work from hereon forward to the future. Otherwise, the Habs GM may as well be guided by scouting reports from NHL CSS, Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, etc.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think it’s been said many times that you can’t go back and cherry pick previous drafts. Every team including Detroit passed on Dastyuk and Zetterberg multiple times.

The objective methodology in the EOTP and the original Vancouver Province articles shows that Timmins has the best record overall.

No one can predict with certainty how a 17 year old will turn out. But averaging over a decade gives you a good idea of who is doing better than the others.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Phil C says:

With the benefit of hindsight, it is easy to criticize draft selections, but I don’t think that’s a fair way to assess the quality of the decision. IMO, you have consider what was known, or should have been known at the time of the decision. Kostitsyn was ranked 3rd among international skaters in 2003 (1 and 2 were already taken). Corey Perry was ranked 35th among NA skaters due to concerns about his skating ability. Pasted below is from an SI article saying that Perry would be a “project”.

Given what was known at the time, I consider the decision to take AK as a reasonable choice. If anything, Brown and Getzlaf were the top ranked NA skaters that were still available to Montreal, ranked 2nd and 5th respectively. It amazing that Getzlaf fell all the way to 19th despite being ranked 5th.

Corey Perry, RW
        Ht: 6-2 Wt: 184 Born: 5/16/85
        2002-03 with London (OHL): 67 GP, 25 G, 53 A, 78 PTS, 145 PIM
        NHL Central Scouting Rank: 35th among North American skaters
        Played for the same junior team that produced Calder Trophy finalist Rick Nash but struggled through a difficult sophomore season. His draft chances got a boost with a big performance in the OHL playoffs as he totaled 23 points in 14 games. Solid playmaker with an above-average scoring touch, he needs to work on his skating. Despite finishing the season as NHL Central Scouting’s 35th-ranked North American skating prospect, he could find his way into the bottom of the first round. If a team takes a chance on him, it will have a project on its hands.

• RGM says:

Hindsight at its 20/20 finest.

Yes those two players have developed tremendously with the teams that drafted them. However, there’s nothing to say that had they been selected by another team–including the Habs–things would have turned out as they have. Imagine for a moment that the Habs had drafted Gilbert Brule and not Carey Price. The Gilbert Brule of today (who suffered that nasty shoulder injury and has never been able to get his career on track, and is best known for giving Bono a ride in Edmonton) is widely considered a bust due to his circumstances – it’s easy to say the Habs did better in picking Price and not Brule. But had Brule been selected by the Habs, perhaps the injury never occurs and he develops into a 35-goal scorer. It’s all meaningless counterfactual stuff, but who knows what the career path would have been for Perry and/or Giroux had they ended up with another other team.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

72. smiler2729 says:

Only dropping the opening faceoff puck? He looks like he could officiate the whole game!

Atta boy, Elmer, ref that game like it’s 1949. Heck you could probably ref today’s game and do a better job than the current bums…

_______________________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are gutless weasel pukes.
    The Halakian Jaroslaves’ constant BS make me anti-Halak

73. secretdragonfly says:

What a great event (and near my old stomping grounds). Sure wish I could be there. Teams of 70 year olds, eh? Let’s keep it clean, boys and play some great hockey for charity!

• HabFanSince72 says:

As I said before, one of the worst drafting records in the last 8 years belongs to Detroit.

Jim Nill? I don’t think so.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great read. Thanks for sharing Frank. Like 72 above, it provides support of Detriots reputation of good at the draft as just a fable. That said maybe the Wings strength is player development. That’s an area where I think the Habs have lacked in the immediate past. Pro scouting and poor trades have hurt.

74. shiram says:

Someone’s feeling bitter.

75. Habsrule1 says:

I agree. Why let our players have personalities? No room for that on a hockey team.

Go Habs Go!!

76. LA Loyalist says:

Thank you. You said in 26 words what I was thinking in 115.

77. ZepFan2 says:

Is this the sarcasm you speak of?

Lame, very lame.

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

78. twilighthours says:

I like how he took a post that had nothing to do with Carey Price and still managed to bash Carey Price.

79. shiram says:

The hate is stong in this one.

80. Mattyleg says:

Yessssss… feeeeel itttt…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

81. shiram says:

Well they do say practice makes perfect.

82. shiram says:

Needs more bacon.

83. habsfan0 says:

Apparently,Richer has been battling depression for quite some time.

84. habs03 says:

Actually he was traded to the Devils for Kirk Muller in 91, he traded for him later on in 96, and traded him again a few years after.

He has been on tv a few times talking about his depression and how he had a stuff time dealing with it. I wasn’t old enough to watch him play in his prime, but I respect the guy very much, sad that he dealt with his depression though, they played a clip of him when he won the cup with the Devils, and showing him lifting the Cup, you would think that would be the greatest moment for a hockey player, expect he talked about how at that point he would have rather have been alone in a room than being lifting the cup.

85. Dunboyne Mike says:

Doesn’t it still matter, Shiloh? I’m not aware of too many NHLers coming out. The Welsh rugby fullback Gareth Thomas did so after retiring (3 years ago). Caused much less of a stir than it would have even 10 years ago, so you’re right in one way. But not many pro team athletes come out while still active.

86. ccs says:

Thanks…Yeah I remember Malakov and he was talented but like lots of trades we seldom come out on top. Was cleaning out a closet and came across a game worn Richer Jersey that Ive had for a long time… it’s a little tattered so I was thinking of tossing it out thats not bad luck is it? Or I could track down Mr Richer and try to sell it back to him for $1200.00 thats the going rate isnt it? Or was that a special price given to Cammalleri

87. Lizardking89 says:

Vladimir Malakhov was acquired along with Pierre Turgeon for Craig Darby, Kirk Muller and Mathieu Schneider. Richer was acquired for Lyle Odelien the 2nd time he was with the Habs, one of Houle’s many horrible deals.

88. HabFab says:

Mr Richer owns and operates a golf course outside of Montreal. http://www.golfmontpellier.com/

89. ZepFan2 says:

If you’re saying that because of the gay rumour, Shiloh’s not lying.
    There was a rumour going round that Richer and Roch Voisine were lovers.

Edit: I feel so skinny. :smile:

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

90. Strummer says:

back in the 80’s the Habs had a therapist working with Richer as he showed signs of having mental health issues.
    I’m not sue if he had been diagnosed with depression at that point .

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

91. ZepFan2 says:

@Habsolutely

I hear ya’!

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

92. JUST ME says:

He was on tv a few months ago on radio-canada on a special show about mental illnesses and he does suffer from chronic depression syndrome. He even tried to end it all with his car. He is better now because he is aware of his sickness and risks associated with his condition.

93. habstrinifan says:

Yes he was even then. Personal issues which I wont go into cause I have no proof. But Pat Burns didnt help.

Richer has stated that he would often put his Kenny Rogers CD on and just drive.

Big fan of number 44 here.

94. LA Loyalist says:

What Price hate? The guy hasn’t won a playoff series yet, much less a cup, therefore he doesn’t deserve to be anointed the next Roy or Dryden.

Has he got talent? Yes. Has he got software issues? Maybe. Will time tell? Assuredly. But don’t pretend the PriceBots are using facts, because the’yre not and just because we call you and Price on the bullsh*t doesn’t mean we hate him. We just like proof.

95. ZepFan2 says:

“What Price hate? ”

The gay slurs for one.

I get you’re one of those that doesn’t like Price and adores Halak, but it’s time to start living in the now. Price is OUR goalie, Halak isn’t!

Btw, Halak hasn’t won a cup as well yet gets a pass just because he helped get us to the ECF?

That means squat, the Stanley cup is the goal (pardon the pun).

———————————————————————-
    “I got a feeling, a feeling deep inside” – Lennon/McCartney

I’ve got a feeling

96. twilighthours says:

I don’t really care how you feel.

I suspect it’s more about how cammalleri and other NHLers feel about the canadiens that really matters.

97. jols101 says:

Actually, i don’t give a rat’s ass how you feel…

98. Les Canayens says:

That thing is even if Gauthier asked $1 for the jersey it does not change anything, it’s still classless.

99. twilighthours says:

You are a valuable contributor, sarge.

100. twilighthours says:

I am actually pretty upset about why it took you until 2 days ago to become a member of HIO. We have really missed such an eloquent and obviously intelligent poster such as yourself.

Glad to have you on board.