Moen takes spot on fourth line as Habs prepare for Bruins (with practice video)

The Canadiens practised Sunday morning in Brossard, a day after learning they will meet the Boston Bruins in a best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series.

The NHL has yet to announce the schedule for that series, which isn’t expected to start before Thursday at the earliest.

The only player who didn’t take part in Sunday’s practice was Alex Galchenyuk, who hasn’t skated since suffering a lower-body injury (knee) on April 9 in Chicago.

Coach Michel Therrien made one change to his lines Sunday, putting Travis Moen on the fourth line with Daniel Briere and Dale Weise, while Michael Bournival dropped to the fifth line. Moen has recovered from a concussion suffered in a fight with Boston’s Kevan Miller on March 24.

The Canadiens and Bruins met four times during the regular season with Montreal winning three times. In their last meeting on March 24 in Boston, the Canadiens won 2-1 in a shootout, ending the Bruins’ 12-game winning streak.

When asked by reporters in Brossard Sunday why the Canadiens have had so much success against the Bruins, defenceman Josh Gorges said: “I’m not 100 per cent certain. And the only other thing that I’ll say with that is that’s the regular season. The playoffs is a completely different game. You look at what this team, the Boston Bruins, has done in the last few years in the playoffs has been as good or better than any other team in the league. So we know we got a great challenge ahead of us. It’s going to be tough, it’s going to be a long series and we got to be prepared for that.”

This marks the 34th time the Canadiens and Bruins will meet in NHL playoff history, with the Canadiens winning 24 of the previous 33 series and 102 of 170 postseason games between the teams.

“It’s just fun every time we play them,” Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher told reporters in Brossard Sunday. “There’s that intensity, that rivalry, but there’s also the respect between the two teams. Two very good hockey teams that play hard, that are deep, you can throw anyone on the ice at any given time and they’re expected to do the job. So every time we play them, it just makes for a fun atmosphere to be a part of and as a player that’s what you want.”

After knocking off the Detroit Red Wings Saturday, Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron was asked by reporters in Boston about facing the Habs in the next round.

“(The Habs) are a great team,” Bergeron said. “They’re definitely playing some great hockey right now. They played well against Tampa. It’s going to be a good challenge again for us. There’s lots of history behind both teams so it’s going to be fun to be part of it. … We know what they got, they know what we got, so it’s always a huge battle against them. We’re expecting a tough and long series.”

Added Bruins teammate Shawn Thornton: “It’s a good rivalry. We’ve played them a lot in my seven years here, so my initial feeling is, ‘Embrace it.’ It’s good – both cities really get into it, both teams get into it, so I’m going to enjoy it.”

He won’t be alone.

Here’s how the Canadiens’ lines and defence pairings looked at practice Sunday:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Briere-Weise
Bournival-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Weaver
Tinordi-Murray

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Bruins vs. Habs: How it must be, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

It won’t be easy, but pick Habs in seven, by Jack Todd

Past stats against Bruins mean nothing in playoffs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bruins, Canadiens to meet for 34th time in playoffs, NHL.com

After long wait, Canadiens can prepare for Bruins, NHL.com

Tale as old as time, Canadiens.com

Hello, old friend, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Bruins-Habs rivalry sure to ignite old feelings, Boston Herald

Bruins as ready as ever to take on Canadiens, Boston Globe

Five reasons the Bruins advanced, NHL.com

HI/O Show: Nilan weighs in on Habs-Bruins rivalry

Demers impressed with job Therrien has done, Stu on Sports Blog

Happy birthday to Ginette Reno, Stu on Sports blog

1. Habcouver says:

So I read the Ducks scored.
    Will someone please end this Telus Cup crap so we can see the playoffs, and the scorer better not be named “Mud”.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

2. hansolo says:

I was one who thought the Blues would take the Hawks, not because they were bigger but because I thought the Hawks had become undisciplined. Champions that they are, they got their act together and got the job done.

I still pick the Sharks in the West but understand I might be wrong about that, too. But that’s part of the fun of the blog, isn’t it?

3. habs001 says:

Well hopefully the next round starts fast as some posters have nothing to post but a joke about a players cancer result…sad

4. Butterface says:

At Hallowe’en Phil Kessel likes to dress up like a Mounds chocolate bar.

Why ?

Cause Almond Joy has nuts, Mounds don’t.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

5. Say Ash says:

Don’t worry, TSN. Next year, you can show the TELUS Cup all you want.

6. Danno says:

2-0 for the Dallas Starbucks, (or is it the Roughriders?). They are really taking it to the Ducks.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. Habcouver says:

Tell me WHY TSN is giving the Telus Cup priority over the Stars/Ducks game?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

8. Mattyleg says:

So I’m curious…

Are any of the posters who said “The Blues are BUILT FOR THE PLAYOFFS, while THE HABS ARE NOT” prepared to admit that there is no such thing as being BUILT FOR THE PLAYOFFS, and that it instead has more to do with having players who are willing to get the job done when the chips are down?

…probably not.

…and it probably won’t stop them from saying stupid things like that in the future, either.

-edit- and ironically, I see that Scotland has graced us with his presence. I have a little something for him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Not that I made that comment, but wouldn’t it only be fair to acknowledge the quality of opponent? Again, I didn’t say that so I know the post wasn’t directed at me, but, IMO, St. Louis would have beaten Tampa Bay, while Montreal would be in extremely tough competition against the Hawks. Truth be told, I don’t think Montreal would have won that hypothetical series.

• Mattyleg says:

I disagree.
        We played two great games against them, and are better built for beating the Hawks than the Blues were.

They are yet another proof that bigger is not necessarily better.

We play a similar game to the Hawks, and I think that a Habs-Hawks final would exhibit everything that is best in hockey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Sorry, you disagree with St. Louis beating Tampa and/or Chicago beating Montreal? Just clarifying.

Yes, it would be a great final, and I hope it comes to fruition, but we have a tough hill to climb. Not bunker hill (although that’s not where the battle was fought – wait till you see the white of their eyes…. I digress).

The regular season means nothing. The Av’s beat the Hawks and the red wings beat the Bruins. It doesn’t mean anything. The Blackhawks would make almost any team in this playoffs look silly.

• CJ says:

Just to clarify, neither Tampa nor St. Louis got goaltending when it counted. We can talk in circles all night, but you need to be better than a .900 save percentage to win in the postseason. Miller was weak, and it cost the Blues. You simply can’t overcome leaky tending in the postseason.

Price will need to be .930 or better to beat the Bruins.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Hafta agree.

• Rugger says:

Correct, it was Breeds Hill because they went to the wrong place (25 years ago I was a parent chaprone for my son’s field trip to the U.S. Constitution and Bunker Hill Museum). Just a few blocks away from the Boston “Gahd’n”

• CJ says:

I love visiting old Ironsides. Talk about security though. I hate the Bruins, but Boston is so rich in history. The north end is fantastic. Freedom trail is so well done…

• Mattyleg says:

Sorry, I disagreed that Montreal would be in extremely tough against Chicago.
            I was unclear.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Cool. I love your optimism Matty. I gotta meet you some day dude. You are, without a doubt, one of the nicest, most positive people on this forum. I love the Habs, but no way I think Montreal would dispatch Chicago easily. Cheers, CJ

• Mattyleg says:

Thanks CJ, I enjoy you as well!
            I don’t think that we’d despatch Chicago easily.
            I’m not even sure we’d win.
            But it would be a far cry from an uneven match.
            I’m always up for drinks!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HardHabits says:

I agree that a Habs-Hawks would exhibit the best in hockey. However I would say that a good balance between speed and skill and size and grit is required. The Habs have made up for a size and grit shortfall and have even upped the speed and skill quotient as of late. There also is such a thing as being built for the play-offs. The Blues are a lot like San Jose. Built for to blow away all comers in the regular season. Built to fade away come play-off time.

• Mad Habber says:

Hmm of all the Western teams I think the Hawks are probably one of the few teams Montreal can beat in a seven game series. St. Louis would’ve beaten Tampa, yes. I think Montreal would probably still playing in the first round if they were going against the Hawks.

Hawks goaltending is shaky at times, but they make up for it with a solid team game. Montreal has solid goaltending, plus when they are skating like they did for most of the Tampa series they have a solid team game.

I don’t know why it is that Habs fans have such a hard time seeing it but we have a solid core of young players (Price, Subban, Pac) as well as solid group of veterans, and support players. If they is fault to be found it could be at the backend, where we don’t have a lot names after Subban and Markov…

The biggest thing with the Canadiens is their consistency. We they are skating they are as good as any team in the league, when they are not skating they are as bad as any team in the league. They skated for all but the first half of the third period of the Tampa series. I can see them rolling on Boston (maybe not so dominate, but still rolling them) as well; so long as they continue skating.

• CJ says:

Fair points. Respectfully, I’d like our chances much better against Minny, Dallas or Colorado rather than Chicago, but I’m no expert. If Price was on his game we would have given the Hawks a great series. As it was, miller was below average. A door doesn’t swing exclusively on one hinge, but goaltending really is the most important thing. A save percentage below .900 is not going to win in the modern nhl. That worked in the 80’s, but not now.

What raises red flags for me is, like you said, is our defence. The goal that the Ducks scored a few minutes ago to make it 3-2 is exactly what I fear. I don’t know if we can handle the Bruins forecheck. That remains to be seen.

I’ll give Price the benefit and assume he will be outstanding. I’ll give the forwards the benefit and suggest they sustain their play. Defence will need to be steady. If they can withstand the Bruins forecheck and clear the zone effectively, we can win this next series.

• Habfan10912 says:

There were many jumping on their bandwagon after the Blues went up 2 zip. Perhaps urs Chicago who is built for the playoffs?

• Mattyleg says:

I’m actually talking about the big-talkers who were blowing on about this during the season.

Fat lot they know!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

I know Matty. I was just piling on.

Truth is, I don’t know what the right build is for a playoff run. I always thought that you get the best players who play well and a good goaltending performance and your teams share of bounces and viola, you got the right build for the playoffs.

I suspect that’s the general formulas that GM use.

• Mad Habber says:

I don’t know why everyone would. Hawks blow to last minute leads..lol Hawks could have just as easily sweep that series.

• Mark C says:

I remember some crowning them Stanley Cup champs after the Miller trade.

Playoffs are so wild and unpredictable, can never understand why people are always make such long range predictions.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Blues lost to the best team in hockey and defending Cup champions so using their loss in an argument against their style is unfair.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think so.
        The Hawks only finished with 7 more points than us, and 10 points shy of the Bruins.
        Calling them the best team in hockey is a bit unfair.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. ABHabsfan says:

so this young guy comes by today looking for a job, I had spoken with him before and I asked him to stay in touch and I would let him know when I would be hiring again. He shows up today in a Bruins shirt.
    “Thanks for coming by, I will let you know when I have something for you” I says. Not bloody likely, me thinks.
    Bad enough I have 4 Leaf fans working for me, but my charity stretches only so far.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

10. Say Ash says:

My fortune cookie today said my deepest desires will be granted. Sorry, Bruins.

11. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Totally unscientific poll in the Limestone City today but I counted 2 Habs Flags for every Bruins Flag. Habs in 6. Saludos!

12. CJ says:

Baie Comeau wins in OT to force game seven!

• B says:

Hey CJ. It sounds like you get TVA Sports. How did Grégoire and Hudon look today? Are they facing heavy checking and special attention? Grégoire has only 1 assist in the series while Hudon has only managed 1 goal and 1 assist. Have they run out of gas? Choking as the games get bigger? Simply snakebit? Inquiring minds want to know.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I have Rodgers cable in Ottawa, so I get TVA HD. Hudon did not impress. He made some decent plays, based on hockey knowledge, but IMO, he’s hurt. Kinda looked like Crosby has against Columbus. That’s the best analogy I can think of.

Gregorie played well. Everything goes to the net. I know I’ve said it before, but he reminds me so much of Gally. The puck is simply not going in for him right now. Otherwise, his play is still well above average. I love his work on the boards, corners and in front of the net. He is a bulldog and is always noticeable when he’s on the ice. IMO, his game translates better to the next level than Hudon.

Funny, I’ve watched Baie Comeau once live and 3/4 times on tv this season and I’ve not seen Hudon play well. The best I’ve seen him this year was in the Subway series against Russia and in limited action at the WJC. I think his back is still an issue, which would explain the inconsistency.

Just my two cents….

• B says:

Thanks CJ! Hopefully game 7 goes their way. I would still like to see BC vs Halifax for the Q finals (and Truro John would be able to use his tickets from work to catch a game).

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Yeah, I’m hoping so too. I recall that post regarding the tickets. That would be sick!

13. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This off-season should be interesting. Lots of teams look to be taking new directions. St. Louis, for example, should be looking to make major changes after another collapse. Hopefully there will be some big trades to make the summer interesting. Guys like Webber, Ovechkin, Spezza, Ward, etc, could be available. Draft day should be fun…

• CJ says:

There are rumblings in Ottawa that Spezza could be headed to St. Louis…..

I agree, I think there will be a number of moves this offseason. If the cap does in fact move upwards of $7 million dollars, and the floor shifts accordingly, there will be a number of organizations active.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think they should try to resign him as #1 centers are hard to find. However, if he does not resign…bye-bye.

• CJ says:

They are caught between a rock and hard place. I don’t think you can win with Spezza as your number one. That said, I don’t know what you might expect to get in exchange for him.

Finally, although Turris might be able to slide into the number one role, Ottawa could end up taking a big step back. If Spezza goes, I’m not sure they can resign Bobby Ryan.

• frontenac1 says:

My buddy”s son played with him (Spezza) in the O. Said he was a Jerk and problem in the room. For what it’s worth amigo.

• CJ says:

I have some pretty cool stories to share at the summit Front….

• Mavid says:

Exactly, to me the issue with Spezza is a team that is willing to take that contract for someone who is overrated, streaky, and a jerk. Like you Front I know someone who has met him, and he is so full of himself its sickening…I always said he was a tool right from the get go I never liked him..oh its cause I am a Habs fan..well everyone is now seing him for what he is..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• frontenac1 says:

Look forward to it CJ! Unfortunately, all I got is a bunch of lies. And some truths. I can’t tell the diff anymore.Saludos!

• Dust says:

Weber? wow. i’d be shocked if nashville moved him now. they have allready paid all that signing bonus money

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t know. They seem to need offense badly and have plenty of young good D-men. If it is going to take time for them to become competitive again then why not? Unless they can make a splash in free agency…

• Maritime Ronn says:

Yes, a lot of money has been paid out to Weber, but so much more to come.
        In the next 4 years, he is still owed $42M of bonus money included in the $52M of total compensation.

• Strummer says:

Ronn – I still like your Subban for Weber trade scenario.

______________________________________________________
          “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Trading a highly priced D-man for another highly priced D-man does not make sense to me. Trading a #1 D-man for a #1 scorer makes more sense.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Strum

Not going to touch that one
            :-)
            Maybe in June. Let’s see how things turn out in the next several weeks

• Strummer says:

I hear ya Ronn.

______________________________________________________
            “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• JUST ME says:

St-Louis ? First time i hear they would be in the derby. They had 111 pts and if not for injuries and goalies inconsistency they are in the dance.I doubt that they will want to make many moves or major changes. If they do it`s almost back to being out of the race.

14. JUST ME says:

So far i have 2 good predictions out of 3 and the one i missed is simply because i cannot vote for a Bruins win ,not now ,not never.

I will not know if my feeling was good about the Blues/Black Hawks serie but i felt like St-Louis had nothing left in the reservoir and was not sold on Miller in goals. Chicago is still a machine and one must not take them for granted.

15. CJ says:

Baie Comeau still alive…..

16. fire2nv says:

Maybe 1973 all over again as that was the last time only one Canadian team made the playoffs and that was Montreal and won the cup against the hawks go habs go

17. habs001 says:

When people talk about the head to head record in the regular season of teams that are playing each other in the playoffs s/o wins should be meaningless ..

• Dust says:

well then i geuss overtime wins should be meaningless. or wins that came with a goal being scored in the last minute.

A win is a win. I’m sorry if you don’t like the shootout, but deal with it. It’s here to stay and it’s a way to win a game in the regular season

18. UKRAINIANhab says:

Well, I hope Moen will be able to fight. He is useless other wise…

• Dust says:

great penalty killer and excellent fourth line player. But yes useless if he can’t fight. whatever

• LizardKing12 says:

Actually fighting is probably the most useless of Moen’s skills. If Moen gets inserted into the lineup it is because he is one of the best defensive forwards on the team and one of the league’s best penalty killers. Our PK was very average in the first round and needs to improve because the Bruins were scoring at over 30% on the PP so Moen is an obvious solution to that problem.

19. Butterface says:

Lets trade Parros for Toews straight up.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

20. boing007 says:

The Blues had a 2 to 0 series lead and lost the last four. Tsk! Tsk!

Richard R

21. boing007 says:

The Madhouse on Madison is going wild.

Richard R

22. boing007 says:

Too late to pull the goalie now. Miller hung out to dry. Like hops.

Richard R

Wow. Epic choke.

24. Butterface says:

Chicago is beating St. Louis so bad the team is changing their name from the Blues to the Black and Blues.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

25. boing007 says:

Habs vs Hawks. Has a nice ring to it. Fingers crossed.

Richard R

26. Strummer says:

Hey Dipsy- Looks like Hitch should have pushed the “re-set” button.

______________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

27. habsfan0 says:

St. Louis had a 2-0 series lead and seemingly had Chicago on the ropes.
    But the Blackhawks showed exactly why they are the defending champs.

28. Danno says:

It ain’t Miller Time…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

29. Say Ash says:

Habs/Hawks final lining up pretty good, eh?

30. habsfan0 says:

Miller is a sieve.

31. Strummer says:

Looks like the guy that paints the NHL goalies’ headgear will have a busy off season.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

32. Prop says:

Alot of people thought the Blues were a lock for the cup. The game isn’t over yet, but nothing is a given when it comes to the playoffs. If you’re in the postseason, you have a shot at the cup.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

33. L Elle says:

Wow, whoever had the Blues in the final…

One less big, defensive team for our Habs to worry about. ;)

34. Psycho29 says:

Ouch…
    Feels good that our GM didn’t overspend at the deadline…

ryan lambert‏ @twolinepass·1m
    ryan miller cost the blues halak, stewart, a prospect, a first-round pick, and a third-round pick. but at least they got steve ott too.

• Butterface says:

The Blues is what they’re singing.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

• Strummer says:

Miller will be 34 in July. Best days behind him.
      Can’t see St. Louis – or any other team – giving him a long term deal for big money.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

35. CJ says:

Well, at least I can save the batteries in the remote as I no longer need to flip back and forth between Baie Comeau/Armada and Blues/Hawks.

The curse of Jay Bouwmeester continues…..

Hopefully Hudon and Gregorie can get something going.

36. Bigdawg says:

the refs got the blues and want them to go away

is this what to expect from the refs in the habs/bruins matchup?

• Butterface says:

Didn’t I see a parade of hawks go to the box ?

Blues were ineffective…..

I hope Roy’s Avs crush the Hawks…. I hope the Avs get by the Wild too….lol

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

• Bigdawg says:

I only started watching in the 3rd on NBC. In a couple of minutes I saw a goal that shouldn’t count due to goalie interference, then a really nice goal, then a cheap call by the ref, and now.. another good goal.

• boing007 says:

No way that the Avs will crush the Hawks.

Richard R

• Butterface says:

A guy can dream.

***********************
          If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

• CJ says:

Av’s won the season series. We seem to be hanging our hat on that (beating the Bruins in regular season)…..

Seriously, Chicago and the winner of San Jose/LA seem to be on a collision course for the Western conference final.

Based on what I’ve seen in the East, if Montreal doesn’t upend Boston now, they (the Bruins) are going to swing, scrap, and hammer their way into the Cup finals.

37. trolly says:

Uh…who’s Miller’s backup anyway?

38. boing007 says:

Sharp gets hooked on a breakaway. Scores! Hawks 3 Blues 1.

Richard R

• Butterface says:

Thanks… I got internet, but no cable…. your play by play is invaluable to me.

The Saar River in Germany flows into a big fissure… it is called the Saar Chasm.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

39. Prop says:

Wow Sharp!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

40. habsfan0 says:

I guess Ryan Miller wasn’t the answer for the Blues.
    Somewhere,Jaroslav Halak is smiling.

41. Bigdawg says:

now that was good goal.

What beauty!!

42. Bigdawg says:

ST Louis got robbed that goal should have been disallowed

refs….suck….

43. boing007 says:

Captain Serious Rides Again. Hawks 2 Blues 1.

Richard R

Captain clutch again. Wow, does Toews ever come up big in big games. What a leader.

3-1 now. St. Louis is choking.

The series is at least 4 days away and I already have butterflies in my stomach. Why do Habs have to play that dreaded team again?

• SmartDog says:

If the league was properly refereed I wouldn’t have any problem with this match-up. In fact I’d love it.

But it comes with the knowledge that they’ll intentionally try to injure our players, that we don’t have the toughness to put them in their place, and that when it comes to discipline, Jacobs has Bettman in his pocket (nice that he fits there so well).

But you gotta know it’s gonna be a wild ride… and it’s a series we CAN possibly win. Despite the above the Habs know how to beat the Bruins.
      ————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• scavanau says:

We wait for them to become rapt in their idiot fans cheering. Take a few lumps and work the PP.

What angers me is how every body check will require us engage in some level of their goonery.

• zephyr says:

agreed. there’s a long list of hot habs who’ve been injured in the playoffs by boston going back to stephan richer (slash – broken hand). the last game these teams played we lost moen & weise & emelin was speared in the nuts. the other problem was the habs took a ton of bogus penalties. if the league is going to give boston the extra man for a period, it’ll be tough to beat them. i remember commenting during their last game that it was no wonder the bruins had a 12-game streak going if they got that many pp’s over that time.
        i was really surprised that the series with tb wasn’t marred by worse officiating. it wasn’t good but it wasn’t completely incompetent either. if we get that from the refs again, we’ll be ok.

• habsfan0 says:

It is a rite of spring.
      Just like the Laffs not making the playoffs.

46. DipsyDoodler says:

Pierre McGuire: “Ken Hitchcock has pushed some buttons and I think his team is really responding.”

How is that better than silence?

Because there’s alway that option isn’t there?

I mean, he could have said nothing. As a viewer, I don’t need to hear spoken mental flotsam every second of the game. Silence is OK too.

So how is “Ken Hitchcock has pushed some buttons and I think his team is really responding” preferable to silence? Because I don’t see it.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

47. habs_54321 says:

steve ott was a -12 with 0 goals and 3 assists in the 23 reg season games he played with st louis i think he is done

48. Strummer says:

Love the Enterprise Car Rental commercial with TJ Oshie especially the disclaimer:
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.
    LOL!

____________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Da Hema says:

19th-century liberals like John Stuart Mill were emphatic that citizens’ level of intelligence in merging democracies would rise indefinitely in the future. The very fact that advertisements must make disclaimers like that is proof that Mill and others were overly-optimistic about the intellectual capacities and capabilities of ordinary people. And Canadians are no more intelligent that Americans — the only meaningful difference between us and them is that Canadians have less sexual inhibitions and Americans are vastly more violent.

• Butterface says:

You guys are really, really smart.

I thought the biggest distinction between Canadians and Americans was the country we respectively hail from.

And we don’t end our sentences in prepositions…. I wanna axe you, where is your toilet at ?
      ***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..

49. UnkleGary says:

Scoring the first goal will be another very important area, especially for the Habs. Boston has strong team defence, being behind more than one goal, I think it would be tough for us to come back from.
    Setting the tone will be huge. I think the first PP/PK, first goal, first period and first game hold a bit more weight in this series versus others.
    I think having a good start makes them think/question themselves and the way they play. They probably won’t be rattled easily as they have experience and a good coach, but getting in their heads seems to work well.

CH-eers!

50. JUST ME says:

I do not think it means anything that Moen practices on the 4 th line regarding the starting lineup for game 1.
    Having been away from the action for a while and not being a real stick handling artist he does need to be put in situations where he can make and receive passes in a artificial action position.

I would not bet my paycheck on him being in the lineup for game 1 since the last roster never lost this season in playoffs and god knows how hockey players are superstitious .

I think that for many reasons they will test the water. Moen just came back from a concussion and if it gets ugly from the get go…Also i expect Murray to replace Cube in the round after a game or two depending on how it goes.
    Quite honestly i say we must be prepared to make adjustments early but will have the luxury to do some thanks to the depth of the team. You can make changes as much as you want but if you replace a player with an exact copy it serves no purpose. That is what i like with our depth, no player is alike.

51. Danno says:

Patrice Bergeron is too classy to be a Bruin

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. Davey93 says:

The lines seem perfect with moen added into the mix. Only problem I see is having both bouillon and weaver together, therrien is making a big mistake not putting in a big mean defenceman against the Bruins. Bouillon has played well in his role but he’s just not fit to play against guys like Lucic

53. Haberoooo13 says:

Any comments from CBC, TSN or Sportsnet about Lucic beating his chest after the goal?
    Personally I think celebrating a goal is cool because they aren’t easy to get…just some media take exception when it’s PK, or a European doing it.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

54. Rugger says:

If I was in Therrien’s spot i would give Moen some practice time on the 4th line to see if he is ready and can keep up. It is one practice at least 4 days before they play, doesn’t mean Moen is in.

55. habfan01 says:

Series is going to come down to goaltending. If Price and Rask play like they did in the first round, we lose. Just because we dominated in the regular season, and Rask has played poorly against in the past, doesn’t mean it will play out that way now. Worried about what Rask will bring.

56. ABHabsfan says:

The guy that sings the anthem in Chicago is outstanding. Best there is IMO

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

57. SmartDog says:

I think of Thornton as a real deckhead (but that’s what I think of most Bruins), but this quote is right on:

“….Bruins teammate Shawn Thornton: “It’s a good rivalry. We’ve played them a lot in my seven years here, so my initial feeling is, ‘Embrace it.’ It’s good – both cities really get into it, both teams get into it, so I’m going to enjoy it.””

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

And it seems to me that that is the difference between the rivalry with the Bruins and any other rivalry the Habs are supposed to have… deep deep down , Habs and Bruins are linked in a way that the Habs are not with any other team. I can’t think of a better team to meet in the playoffs, let the games begin!

• Haberoooo13 says:

Toronto and Montreal have a natural rivalry as cities in Canada, but playoffs make rivalries and Bruins vs Habs is the definition of rivalry because of that.
        As a side not, generally Hab fans did not care about Sens until we actually played in playoffs

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

Moen is playing for the same reason that Bouillon and Weaver are playing. That’s the road the Habs are going down right now and there’s no looking back.

Unless there are injuries, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu are all about next year.

24.4 Cups

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

As it should be. Moen has a lot of playoff experience, is tough as nails, and has a Cup. Just the kind of player that you want in there. Let the rookies soak up the atmosphere, but this round you need players in there that won’t look like they’re a deer caught in the headlights.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

59. johnnylarue says:

While the reasoning behind Moen’s (apparent) insertion into the 4th line is easy to grasp–experience, size, defensive specialist–I’m a bit concerned about the not-so-positive impact it will have in terms of forechecking.

Tampa’s defence may have been nothing to write home about (not expecting to see any wide-open Weises in the slot in OT against Boston) but Bournival/Brière/Weise were amazing when it came to cycling and maintaining puck possession in the offensive zone. Bournival and Weise can both fly, with Bourni in particular being very good at retrieving loose pucks. Moen is obviously much slower, and usually plays for the draw when it comes to his battles along the boards.

Under less meaningful circumstances, it would be easy to say the substitution of a fourth-line winger isn’t likely change the outcome of the game, but with Boston icing four very good lines I think these match-ups become a lot more significant.

I’d put Murray in for Frankie and leave Bourni in for the first game–but for the time being I’ll reserve judgment on a coaching staff whose recent results are hard to argue against.

• Ton says:

i don’t think cycling the boards will be the most important thing for montreal. It will be the fast break and throwing that puck into Chara’s corner……make him skate….remember the dehydration problem he had when he played us! Habs were succesful doing this when Begin played for us……..he got in on Chara and made him work. Carolina did it as well a couple of years back. Moen will fit in nicely.

60. Phil C says:

Moen, Bournival, White…whatever, nothing but good choices for Therrien. As long as he leaves Parros on the sideline, he couldn’t make a bad fourth line if he tried. These are great problems to have going into the second round.

61. Rad says:

Moen was never a good fighter. What he is, is a good defensive forward that plays physical and is tough to play against. Therrien wants his size on the 4th line. He hasn’t played in a while though, so his timing will be off. Personally, I don’t like the substitution. Bournival is a real sparkplug on that line.

62. Butterface says:

I am absolutely fine with Weaver. I would prefer Murray come in for Boullion unless MT can promise we will not get a penalty the whole series.

Chara in front of the net on a PP is devastating. His size and reach is hard to control….UNLESS the strategy is to just leave Chara alone in front of the net to hamper Price’s view of the puck and not compound things with both Chara and Murray’s big bodies obstructing Carey’s view.

But logic and experience tell me if we don’t have an answer to a big player like Chara or whoever else wants to be in Carey’s wheelhouse, we are under Boston’s thumb.

Moen: Well I want to flummox Boston with the speed and skill of the forwards. I would prefer Bournival stay in unless Galchenyuk is available.

I am not completely upset if Moen takes his spot as hopefully size and experience count for something as I am sure MT has his reasons…..

Experience and size on the 4th line wing or youth and speed.

Lets see how she plays out……

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

63. Home ice advantage means shiizen when you are gonna sweep em ALL!

Bruins bah they couldn’t dominate us in the regular season and they aren’t gonna dominate us now.

The Tradition Continues! Bruins Suck 2014

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Milan Lucic Has a Severe Problem

64. LizardKing12 says:

Moen is not being inserted for his physicality. He is being inserted because of his defensive prowess and elite PK ability. Paired with Pleks they are one of the best PKing duos in the NHL and in the last 5 minutes of game holding onto the lead Moen has proven to be a very good player to have on the ice in those situations. MT is not dumb enough to think the way to beat the bruins is by being physical. The way to beat the bruins is by imposing our style of play on them not the other way around.

65. BJ says:

Rangers 4 Flyers 2 game over.

Therrien will continue going with Bouillon. Unbelievable.

67. DipsyDoodler says:

Dominic Moore is playing very well for the Rangers.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

68. 25insight says:

New thread? http://i.imgur.com/n3SE40n.gif

God I hate commenting and making lengthy replies to posts right before they start a new thread. We need user-submitted content. without the users this website would be so bland.

69. Thomas Le Fan says:

Bruins – Schmuins. There I said it. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

70. Lafleurguy says:

I think the three guys vying for two spots are Prust, Moen, Bournival. White for injury fill-in duty. Parros for if and only if the series is going down the crapper. Looks like Murray and Tinordi are still no.’s 7 and 8.

• CJ says:

I’m fine with Prust, provided he is at least 90-95%. I don’t know that he will ever be 100% again (maybe the first preseason game next year), but we can not afford to have him lagging all over the ice like he did against Tampa. In my estimation, he played at somewhere around 60-70%. That won’t work against Boston.

71. frontenac1 says:

Moener!! I like it. Now give the Cube a rest a activate The Crankshaft! Habs in 6.

• CJ says:

Call me crazy Front, but I thought Frankie was better than Weaver against the Bolts……

• frontenac1 says:

You’re not crazy amigo,Cube did play better. I just think that Weaver would be a better pairing. Who knows? Price will need Murrays presence for sure and he can absorb any forecheck hits the Bruins can throw at him. Saludos!

72. Loop_Garoo says:

Moen is a good tough smart hockey player, who should rise to the occasion, have no problem with him there

• mount royal says:

I would take Bournival over Moen any time; including against the Bruins. Moen is good on the PK, but he is finished as a fighter, he is slow and he cannot handle the puck. Bournival is fast, forces his linemates to pick up the pace and actually comes out of the corners with the puck. Moen on the other hand prefers to tie up his opponents and basically disregards the puck

• Loop_Garoo says:

Yes, he is definitely done as a fighter (which for me is a good thing) and I am not sure I would made the same decision as a coach as I want the young guys to play, but understand how a coach may want the experience in the line up. And it’s cool to have one of the very few players to ever score an overtime, cup winning goal in the line up.

73. BJ says:

Rangers 3 Flyers 1 end of 2.

74. Paz says:

Bournival is too good to sit out. The team is better when he plays.

• ont fan says:

You can bet the first game or 2 will be rough. Crap after the whistle and general face washing. Bournival will get his chance.

• CJ says:

Coach prefers veterans. He trusts Moen. Not saying I agree, but Therien and, subsequently the team, will either move on or go out with this strategy.

I’ve said the same thing for months regarding the defence. IMO, we won’t win with Weaver and Bouillion, unless Price absolutely steals the series, but I’m not the coach.

• Lafleurguy says:

A Chess match-up, a la Fischer/Spassky. The MOAR size gambit vs. the speed gambit. Moen is going to play in this series, and shouldn’t be a major weakness on the team. He often is slotted in as a defensive LW by MT in the last 10 minutes of a game. Good PK skills.

• frontenac1 says:

He’s a Rookie. He”ll get his chance for sure amigo.

75. frontenac1 says:

Oh Ye of little faith! Repent,while you still can!

76. HabFab says:

Still got the Easter buzz going I see!

77. dr. schmutzdeker says:

The Blues are definately a very good team…no argument, but the Hawks appear to be just hitting their stride. That series could have just as easily went to Chicago in 4 straight (recalling how the first 2 games ended)

78. frontenac1 says:

Oestra amigo. Remember I’m a Pagan and Hedonist.

79. dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yo…Anyone blythely wishing for a series with the Hawks (based on some past reg. season success) really should be careful, give their head a shake, wait for the fog to clear, and maybe even reconsider concerning what’s on their wish list.

80. DipsyDoodler says:

Hey Scotty.

How ya doin’?

Can you ice the puck during a 4 on 4?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

81. SlovakHab says:

Having Murray in our lineup would be exploited by the Bruins to no end.

If anything, let’s give Tinordi a go. He is bigger than Murray and could use the playoff experience. Murray is over the hill and will get hemmed in his own zone every time he is on ice.

82. Bob_Sacamano says:

Completely agree. When you want to spend more time in your own zone, when you want the Bruins to get more shots and more scoring chances, that´s when you play Murray. Some people unfortunately just don´t get it.

He was partly right about Bournival though. There´s no way he should sit. If you want to dress Moen then it´s Weise who should sit and I prefer the latter at this point.

83. Cal says:

Just keep crapping all over them. It’s how you get your jollies, right?

84. frontenac1 says:

Too bad you missed the games against Boston this season. Murray played great . Took care of Chara and Lucic. You would have really enjoyed it.