Moen takes spot on fourth line as Habs prepare for Bruins (with practice video)

The Canadiens practised Sunday morning in Brossard, a day after learning they will meet the Boston Bruins in a best-of-seven Eastern Conference semifinal series.

The NHL has yet to announce the schedule for that series, which isn’t expected to start before Thursday at the earliest.

The only player who didn’t take part in Sunday’s practice was Alex Galchenyuk, who hasn’t skated since suffering a lower-body injury (knee) on April 9 in Chicago.

Coach Michel Therrien made one change to his lines Sunday, putting Travis Moen on the fourth line with Daniel Briere and Dale Weise, while Michael Bournival dropped to the fifth line. Moen has recovered from a concussion suffered in a fight with Boston’s Kevan Miller on March 24.

The Canadiens and Bruins met four times during the regular season with Montreal winning three times. In their last meeting on March 24 in Boston, the Canadiens won 2-1 in a shootout, ending the Bruins’ 12-game winning streak.

When asked by reporters in Brossard Sunday why the Canadiens have had so much success against the Bruins, defenceman Josh Gorges said: “I’m not 100 per cent certain. And the only other thing that I’ll say with that is that’s the regular season. The playoffs is a completely different game. You look at what this team, the Boston Bruins, has done in the last few years in the playoffs has been as good or better than any other team in the league. So we know we got a great challenge ahead of us. It’s going to be tough, it’s going to be a long series and we got to be prepared for that.”

This marks the 34th time the Canadiens and Bruins will meet in NHL playoff history, with the Canadiens winning 24 of the previous 33 series and 102 of 170 postseason games between the teams.

“It’s just fun every time we play them,” Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher told reporters in Brossard Sunday. “There’s that intensity, that rivalry, but there’s also the respect between the two teams. Two very good hockey teams that play hard, that are deep, you can throw anyone on the ice at any given time and they’re expected to do the job. So every time we play them, it just makes for a fun atmosphere to be a part of and as a player that’s what you want.”

After knocking off the Detroit Red Wings Saturday, Bruins centre Patrice Bergeron was asked by reporters in Boston about facing the Habs in the next round.

“(The Habs) are a great team,” Bergeron said. “They’re definitely playing some great hockey right now. They played well against Tampa. It’s going to be a good challenge again for us. There’s lots of history behind both teams so it’s going to be fun to be part of it. … We know what they got, they know what we got, so it’s always a huge battle against them. We’re expecting a tough and long series.”

Added Bruins teammate Shawn Thornton: “It’s a good rivalry. We’ve played them a lot in my seven years here, so my initial feeling is, ‘Embrace it.’ It’s good – both cities really get into it, both teams get into it, so I’m going to enjoy it.”

He won’t be alone.

Here’s how the Canadiens’ lines and defence pairings looked at practice Sunday:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Briere-Weise
Bournival-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Weaver
Tinordi-Murray

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Bruins vs. Habs: How it must be, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

It won’t be easy, but pick Habs in seven, by Jack Todd

Past stats against Bruins mean nothing in playoffs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bruins, Canadiens to meet for 34th time in playoffs, NHL.com

After long wait, Canadiens can prepare for Bruins, NHL.com

Tale as old as time, Canadiens.com

Hello, old friend, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Bruins-Habs rivalry sure to ignite old feelings, Boston Herald

Bruins as ready as ever to take on Canadiens, Boston Globe

Five reasons the Bruins advanced, NHL.com

HI/O Show: Nilan weighs in on Habs-Bruins rivalry

Demers impressed with job Therrien has done, Stu on Sports Blog

Happy birthday to Ginette Reno, Stu on Sports blog

1. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

“Avoid the Visceral Reactions”

There is no denying that deep down inside, we all get some level of satisfaction when imagining a 10 foot tall Habs team dispatching the Bruins like a horde of Vikings but when those thoughts are about to be poured into the digital canvas, they should be resisted.

There can be no serious belief that dressing a “tough” lineup will in anyway change the style of play of the Bruins, as though having Douglas Murray aet al, sitting on the bench 48 minutes of the game will stop facewashes, slashes, and the soft corner dump/defence crush.

It won’t.

But it will completely take your team out of their skill set and if they don’t play their game, how can they be better playing someone else’s?

The other thing to consider is that many posters look back at the 2011 series as though that was the team the Habs are playing … nothing could be further from the mark.

The 2011 Bruins were vulnerable to a 1-3-1 system because their defence featured noted top 4 puck carriers like Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, washed up Redden, McQuiad … games 1 and 2 particularly the Habs forced numerous mid zone turnovers.

This year, the Bruins defence has Krug, Bartkowslki, Miller … and some guy name Hamilton who was some sort of high first round pick with size, skill and speed.

They can and do move the puck effectively through the zones and this year’s third line Soderbergh, Erickson/Florek have more speed than Kelley/Peverly and Ryder ….

So, where do you beat them?

What Detroit was ultimately setup to do and tried but failed is the fast, short pass transition. You can beat a “less nimble” Bruins team but you will have to execute under extreme pressure – they are not slow in straight line speed but are not as agile on the whole in non board space.

And yes their PP was much better this year but Detroit’s PK was not good, particularly the decision making by Howard and “the Monster”.

Also, while the Bruins still do a great job of boxing out (think of the strength of defensive centres) the defence can be vulnerable to missing assignments.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

2. Un Canadien errant says:

New thread is up.

3. frontenac1 says:

Reports. Canes to announce today Ron Francis as GM.

4. Cardiac says:

Special teams will be huge against Boston. We have to play better with the man advantage than we did against TB and we have to stay out of the box. I’m convinced if we make them play OUR game and capitalize on their dumb penalties we can take the series.

– Jerry Maguire

5. Donkey Hoat says:

Holy moley, I turned off the Ducks/Starts game with 3 minutes left in the third, told my brother “They’re not putting up much of a fight tonight.”
    What a great surprise win by a good team.

6. shiram says:

If Moen is a 100% he can being a solidifying element to the team.
    B’s powerplay is lethal, running at 37.5% right now.
    Hab’s penalty kill was a paltry 71.4% second last to Detroit.

Special team will be important.
    The Bruins are still the defensive juggernaut they’ve been in the last few years, but they got elite scoring going on now too.

The one glaring weakness I see on the Bruins is their emotions, if they get off their game, it woud be the Habs chance to get ahead in the series.

• I’d wager the Habs’ lousy playoff PK% is part of the reason Therrien is slotting Moen back in. Plekanec-Moen has got to be one of the league’s best forward PK pairings. Hate to see Bournival out, but Therrien knows there are bound to be penalties in a Habs-Bruins series…

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

7. RockinRey says:

This should be interesting . I do hate the title Master Douche . Such a Low brow descriptor.

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Donkey Hoat says:

Agree; what’s wrong with good ol’ “scumbag”?

• RockinRey says:

Excellent choice! Scumbag is much better. I listen to the fan here in Toronto and aft hosts use it all the time……Actually comes across as very unprofessional .

——————————————————————————————————
        —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

8. Un Canadien errant says:

Apparently the Flames have hired Coyotes’ Asst. GM Brad Treliving as their General Manager. It has to be mentioned that he’s the son of Jim Treliving, one of the investors/stars of “Dragon’s Den”.

EDIT: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=716880

CONFIRMED!

Bob McKenzie broke the story after I did. I credit my sources.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

9. Chris says:

I’m having a hard time with the Blackawks love today. They emphatically did not do themselves proud:

Brent Seabook, their 2nd top defenceman, gets tossed from the series for one of the more disgusting hits you are going to see in hockey: left his feet, targeted the head, and hit an unsuspecting player a few feet out from the boards. Boarding, charging, intentional head shot…and he gets 3 freaking games. The guy should be gone for the playoffs, and instead he’s back for Game 6. That is BS.

Duncan Keith proved that he is a classless piece of trailer-trash with his “Wakey wakey, Backes!” comment following the hit. The fact that he was played one of the dirtiest hockey games in recent memory up to that moment only solidifies the sentiment.

Jonathan Toews, the new favourite captain in the NHL, is almost certainly taunting a clearly disoriented David Backes after the hit. Watch his body language: that is not a concerned player, that is a guy that is giving it to Backes. Tough guy, taunting a guy who can barely stay on his two feet. I’ve long felt that Toews is dirty and a bit of a jerk on the ice, but that incident cemented it for me.

I used to love the way that the Blackhaws play. Marian Hossa and Patrick Sharp are both classy guys that are seriously underrated. Corey Crawford is a feel-good story, a good guy that has established himself as a clutch playoff goalie.

But the faces of the Blackhawks (Toews, Kane, Keith, and Seabrook) are all guys that I have a tough time stomaching. They are all excellent hockey players, but they are just jerks on the ice.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would agree Chris that this series shined a little different light on the Blackhawks.

There is always lots said on the ice and we are only catching parts. Who knows if there was something going on with Backes earlier in the year.

Not condoning it either as from an outsider both plays by Toews and seabrook looked bad. That was a cheap head hit

Another player like that is Giroux. I can’t stand that kid. Little mouth piece

• RockinRey says:

Well said. Complete lack of class when you taunt someone who has been injured.

Make no mistake about it. Backes has taken numbers!

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Maritime Ronn says:

Calling those guys jerks on the ice?
      This is not the Swiss league, or patsy no-hit hockey.

This is NHL playoffs where emotions are high and stuff happens in a nanosecond – mostly by instinct, not planning with few exceptions.

You also don’t see what’s going on outside of camera range or what else might have been said – what else may have happened during the year leading up to that.

Perhaps you never played hockey beyond a certain minor level to understand that fact and how quick things happen.
      As for repeating Keith’s alleged comment, that is mild stuff.

Calling Toews a jerk on the ice?
      Please. 29 other GMs would give their right arm to have him as their Captain including Pittsburgh.

• frontenac1 says:

Man, I would take Seabrook,Kane,Keith on my team any day! Toews is one of the best captains in the game today.

• Paz says:

If you’ve played you know that the “nano second” excuse is total bs. Like any fast paced sport, those that play at that level see the game in a slowed down version, they know who is on the ice, where they are, what their assignment is and will be, etc.

The game is played at a much slower speed for the pros, and you don’t have to be a pro to understand this.

When you are a peewee player, and you watch midget level hockey, the speed of the game freaks you out. Once you get to midget, you have been trained to play at that level, at that speed, and you see the game through trained eyes. It’s much slower than it looks to untrained observers.

• Chris says:

Ron: Have you even watched the Swiss league? I love that you trot out that line continually, yet I have a pretty high level of confidence that you are quite simply talking out of your rear end. I’m sure there are some pretty dirty guys in that league too.

Hockey can be physical without being dirty. Seabrook’s hit was filthy. Keith was dirty all series long. Toews is routinely a dirty player, resorting to cheap shots when he loses his temper.

I’m not denying the skill of these guys.

There are people who play the game in the NHL without cheap shots. Countless numbers of them, in fact. So you don’t have to play the game to recognize that some guys are dirtier than others. You just have to use your eyes and watch some hockey game. I think you would agree with me that many players are dirtier than their peers. The disagreement here seems to be whether that list should include the Blackhawks trio I mentioned.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Chris, I can’t argue with the classlessness and thuggery you documented, and will look to see if it continues into their next series. If it does, well it will be beyond disappointing.

Why?

Because I have no use for the BORG like style of play, attribute of player and coaching decisions from the Blues. The automaton, run every player 2 seconds after they have shot the puck game, is like watching the Lemaire Devils on steroids – it crushes the skill and art out of the game.

if hockey is Reeves, Lapierre, Polak, Jackman and Oshie scoring in a shootout … then I will find a different sport.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• jimmy shaker says:

Probably very mild chirps compared to other guys and other teams. Can you imagine if we were privy to everything that was said on the ice. We’ed have to go to confession for a week or bathe in tomato juice to get rid of the filth we’ve heard. At the end of the day, they lined up and shook hands like gentleman and apologized and ended it like men. That’s the best thing about the NHL. Fight like dogs, but shake hands like men at the end! That’s the reality of the NHL.

Shaker out!

• Un Canadien errant says:

From watching them for years against the Canucks in the playoffs, Duncan Keith has always been a dirty player, who gets indulgences from the refs/league because he’s so good and a star. I think he lost his cloaking device though with his Game 2 performance, when he was waving his stick at Vladimir Tarasenko at the faceoff, that made all the ‘highlights’, and will make it very hard to ignore some of the crap he pulls during a game, at least for the rest of the playoffs I would think.

Another douche majeure was Dave Bolland, one of the ‘instigators’ talking heads love so much. His battles with Ryan Kesler were incessant.

Brent Seabrook I still give a mulligan to, he plays tough but fair-ish, usually. Within the bounds of the playoffs. I think he deserved his suspension and more, the hit was textbook illegal, but it was a heat of the moment thing, with less than a second to make up his mind, it wasn’t a Matt Cooke thing, intentional, unforgivable.

The one player who played very physical but not dirty, and who the Canucks had no answer for, was Dustin Byfuglien, who was used as a forward exclusively then. He’d set up in front of Roberto Luongo and there was nothing you could do against him, he was too big and strong, but he also had sweet hands so he’d cash in some big goals. Plus he could skate, so he was really good on the forecheck, and he’d thump guys when he finished his checks. Every Canuck fan breathed a sigh of relief after their first Cup win, when due to salary cap considerations, Dustin was traded to Atlanta, along with Andrew Ladd, another guy who gave them fits.

10. CJ says:

Two quick points…..

All this optimism has me worried. I generally consider myself the optimist, but everywhere I bump into a Canadiens fan, in person or on social media, they all tell me the same thing – Montreal is going to win this series. Again, I am not sure why, but this has me worried. Again, my head says Boston in five, but my heart says Montreal in six……

Secondly, I liked Travis Moen back when he had no visor. I’m not knocking the visor, but he was a different player prior to facial lacerations, broken bones and concussions. Moen is a warrior, and I hope he has something in reserve, but he is not the player he once was. The question regarding Moen will be, can he put everything together for two more months…..

• jimmy shaker says:

I think the difference in teams of years passed is that we were usually hoping the habs would win, but with this year’s group, we all know they CAN win and beat a tough cub team. I think everything will come down to Price and his ability to out duel Rask. The Olympic experience, winning a series finally, the vezina snub, his poise and focus!!!! This is probably the biggest series of his life and I feel he’s more than ready to take that next step, and can’t wait to see it play out!

Shaker out!

• CJ says:

I agree with all points. I fully expect Price to step up. He will need to be very, very good. I have noted a save percentage equal to or above .930. I don’t expect Rask to give us any freebies.

• jimmy shaker says:

I know Moen has the experience over bernie, so that had to be MT’s thought process, because I would actually want bernie to be in there for his speed. Agree with the visor thing too….and somehow he does come up with a big goal in the dance from time to time. Finally a team with depth…..this can only be a good thing!

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

Yes. Many people are talking about it as if it is a done deal. They will be in for a huge reality check after one period, let alone series. As far as I am concerned, Boston is still by far a better team and if Detroit series is any indication they are just warming up.

On the other side, not to worry. Habs have Francis Bouillon to take care of Chara and Lucic.

• frontenac1 says:

Just fans being fans CJ. Most people outside Mtl. From Vegas to Toronto give the Series to Boston. No big deal. Habs in 6.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

CJ, ignore the early optimists … it is fantasy talk fed by a surprisingly easy series and a long layoff … and then ignore the “realists” when the series takes hold and the challenges seem insurmountable.

Any clear eyed Hab fan knows the struggle ahead … and judging by the “veterans first” look of the lineup, so does the coaching staff.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

11. jimmy shaker says:

Bring on the insane clown posse from bean town…..starting with Sea bass, then king of all pukes, edwards and brickley, as well as the usual pricks, lucheese, lurch, weasel and the leader of their pack julien the 5 chin man. Can’t wait to here them cry about all the diving the habs are doing! This is going to be great. Thank God for RDS!

Shaker out!

12. Mattyleg says:

My big concern is who we’re going to face after Boston.

Hope it’s not Philly ‘010 all over again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

If we get through Boston, who has the deepest line up in the East, the habs should be a hard team to beat in the ECF. The cup final is a entirely different story. Those teams in the west are something else.

• jimmy shaker says:

IF it’s the rangers……boys are pretty good vs them, and Henrik sucks vs the habs.

IF it’s the pens…..they are sucking and hurting right now and flower sucks vs the habs.

I don’t want to face c-bus or philly!

Shaker out!

• Cardiac says:

In 2010, we were riding an insanely hot goalie who ran out of gas after took the top two teams in the conference to seven games each. The clock struck twelve and Cinderella left the building.

– Jerry Maguire

13. A bit more math still:

Before the season started, the Habs were given 28-1 odds of winning the Cup. As of last night it’s now 7-1, with a 7-2 chance of the Habs reaching the finals. No guarantees of course, but that’s progress…

14. Some math to ease our minds in a slow week….

The Bruins won 54 regular-season games this year, or 66% of their match-ups. So against the average team they faced (top-tier, bottom-tier and everyone in between), they won twice as many games as they lost. In a playoff series, that would translate to a 4-2 series win in a six-game series.

But by any measure, Montreal is better than an average team — so if a typical team would, on average, push Boston to six games, it would be no stretch to see this series go to seven. And when that happens, luck plays as a big a role as anything else.

All this to say, there are no truly dominant teams anymore, and anybody has a chance to beat anybody on any given night. I think Boston has an edge (say 3:2 odds) but my gut says that if you’re expecting the Bruins to bully the Habs out to the golf course in four or five games, you may be in for a surprise.

15. Ton says:

there talking Friday for first game

16. bjmmn says:

My take: anything can happen. I honestly won’t be surprised if this goes 7 or ends in 4, either way. Both teams are healthy, and will be rested. All I can hope for is some good hockey. And maybe a Bruin or two getting caught doing something stupid…

• Mustang says:

The worst part will be watching Brad Marchand play 4 to 7 games. He even looks like a wiesel. Of course listening to the coach tell us how great the Bruins are will also not be a picnic.

17. mrhabby says:

I don’t think it was Millers fault the blues lost that series. he could have made a few stops at the right time. This is a team that needs a scorer like a Kessel or somebody like Vanek. They need more offense.

• Mustang says:

While the blame cannot be placed solely on Miller, the Halak for Miller trade surely did not work out the way the Blues had planned. It is too bad that several good teams in the west will be eliminated from further competition because they will be meeting each other in the earlier rounds.

• Kooch7800 says:

he didn’t help them though that is for sure.

They choked as a whole though. Chicago is just one of those teams, well coached, play their system well and have some unbelievable D. Their goalie is not so bad either

18. Luke says:

Good Morning, Folks!

(that’s about all I’ve got at this point).
    (Too much SundayFunday).

I’m really looking forward to this series. Should be a dandy.
    Nice and stressful.
    Remember folks, don’t take it personally.
    (thought I’d get that one in early).

• mrhabby says:

personally..thats what my wife says when I watch these games. I have had to replace several remote controls over the years.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am looking forward to this series as well. Win or lose it will be exciting to watch. If the Habs really want a test this is it. The Bruins are the best in the east. If we beat them and go to the conference finals I really think Vanek will really start to consider Montreal as a new home.

Price will need to be better in this series. He was ok in the first series but he will also see a lot more pucks than in the first series. I hope it starts on Thursday

• Un Canadien errant says:

Throw in a couple of ehms and uhms, and some dead air, and this post could have been written by Bob Cole.

19. mrhabby says:

My heart tells me the habs have a great chance in this series. My head tells me Boston is much improved from last time they won the cup. More mobile on defense , younger and there core has not changed hardly at all. Habs will be in tough for sure.

• Ton says:

These are the areas we improved from our last team> better forecheck we don’t hold back, better coaching, better goaltender, better mobile D, bigger team overall!

• mrhabby says:

yes . I agree also ..maybe boston just has a bit more . I am hoping for a close series.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Is this team really bigger than the one three years ago? I don´t think so.

• Ton says:

the entire roster……yes!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Despite Briere, Gallagher, Weaver and Bouillon? The entire roster? I´m not sure about that either and it doesn´t make sense to count Parros as he´s not going to play.

• Mattyleg says:

Hal Gill kind of put the average out of whack though…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

Speaking of Gill….he had a rough outing yesterday with Philly. I think he should become a coach after this year

• Mattyleg says:

Well, like a lot of times with Gill, he looks bad in the highlight reel, but tons of the great stuff he does that don’t merit highlights go unnoticed.

He wasn’t at fault for that goal, the puck bobbled all around him, and I wager that any d-man would have had trouble not looking like a donkey on that play.

But yeah, he’ll be coaching somewhere at some level next year.
            He was nominated for the Masterton by Philly for the mentoring he’s done there this year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

Totally agree that it wasn’t totally his fault. He is just looking really slow these days. He was always slow but an awesome asset if used correctly. He is no spring chicken who isn’t exactly playing a lot this year. I think he would be better as a D coach.

I think he only played 6 games this year

• Mustang says:

I think that the winner of the Bruins – Habs series has an excellent chance of going all the way. Nothing would be better than to see the Habs beat Boston but I don’t think I would put any money on that unless someone gave me fairly good odds.

Without upsetting any of our 4 lines, Bournival will be held in reserve, for any injured forwards, Murray & Tinordi for injured D.

The nervous waiting is starting to get to me!
    Going out for a bike ride along the lake!

21. Morning all. Been reading the Boston forums and newspapers and the usual scum are scum and the rational educated fan base are just that as well. This series will indeed be a doozy, floozy with no schmoozy as Matty alluded to below.

I do still have questions as to why we would slip in Moen? My biggest concern is the weak links on the D. If our offense keeps it up, we’ll be OK, but we’ve had some unfortunate breakdowns and Frankie is a step and a head short.

Moen has been referred to as “hands of Moen” slow as a snail and he can’t fight or hit like he used to, so why put him in instead of leaving Weise, or White? We need speed and grit and Moen has neither.

If Emelin gets sidetracked with the taunts from Queen Lucy, he will be a liability and he should keep focusing on his heavy checking. The Bruins must be concerned about crossing our blueline and I don’t think they are… yet.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• ont fan says:

Babcock, in todays paper said, you go with the vets in the playoffs if your’re not to banged up. Its pretty overwhelming for the kids when there is no space.Although mixing a kid amongst the vets sure helped the Bruins.

22. elico says:

Hey guys just saw this on TD garden site
    b’s vs habs may 1
    b’s vs habs may 3
    b’s vs habs may 10
    b’s vs habs may 12

23. habs-fan-84 says:

Haven’t been able to post much in the past week or so, as I’ve been swamped at work recently.

All I wanted to say was that I think this rest is absolutely what the doctor ordered for Carey Price. I don’t think his knee has been 100% since the Olympics. I think he came back a little early after watching Budaj struggle during that stretch after the Olympics. It’s been rumored Price has tendonitis in his knee, if true, the break should really help him. Also, the break should naturally help guys like Prust, Moen and Gallagher out.

Lastly, I think it’s possible we come out somewhat flat in the first period of game 1 against boston (in Boston). This is where we’re going to need Price to be on top of his game and hold the fort in the first 20 minutes of the series. If he can do this, we have a really good shot at this series!

GO HABS GO

• Phil C says:

Boston winning in 5 might be a blessing. They will have a little rust on them too.

• Ton says:

I think we do as well……..in today’s NHL you need the breaks to win a series. Bos won three OT games against us last series. For us to win we need some breaks, hard work, Patch or Vanek light it up, Borque the hidden factor, our D plays tight and steady & not flashy, Price has a above average series> we win this in 6

24. DipsyDoodler says:

The Stars fatal mistake on the 5 on 4 at the end was they tried not to ice the puck.

Basically it was like a penalty kill situation, but with offsetting minor penalties and Anaheim having pulled the goalie.

Dallas realized they weren’t allowed to ice the puck, but they should have done so anyhow. Icing the puck would have been just like the goalie freezing it, plus maybe you get lucky and it goes in the net.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

25. adamkennelly says:

remind me – what did STL give up to get Miller again?

the new playoff format sucks in my opinion – no reasons for those two teams to have to meet in the first round…should be a conference championship type deal..

26. Phil C says:

Two of the heaviest teams will be gone in the first round, St. Louis and one of LA/San Jose. Three of the four remaining teams are not a size problem for the Habs if they make it to the final. All the hand wringing about the big bad West may have been in vain.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Maybe we draft this guy. I like him already.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Chris says:

Ben: You are using an old weight number. Fabbri’s most recent physical stats are 5’10” and 170 pounds, per the NHL CSS final rankings, which are generally pretty accurate.

Like you said, getting to an NHL size shouldn’t be an impediment for Fabbri…he’s already added 10 pounds this season.

As for drafting Fabbri, I don’t think he’s a good fit for Montreal…he needs to play with a couple of bigger wingers who can do some of the board work, as that is a weakness in his game.

27. L Elle says:

Hindsight is 20/20.
    The Blues were a formidable regular season team. Their perceived weakness was goaltending. Miller didn’t quite do the job, but what to say about the team in front of him? It might have been better if they traded for, or signed a goaltender in the off season or earlier than the trade deadline. Miller never gelled with that team. Was Backes their only character guy?

Yesterday’s game reminded me of co-workers on a Friday afternoon, who stop working just after lunch. Coincidence? They went downhill after Backes got hit. He didn’t look the same after, and poor Seabrook gets a nice rest just in time for future series.

But Chicago is as close to a dynasty as possible in today’s NHL, and are full value for their win. No team is safe against them unless they get 4 wins.

As for the Bruins, I am sick of this current edition of Rat face and gang. Familiarity breeds contempt. (Another true cliché)

Pierre Houde will interview Claude Julien before the game, and they’ll smile and exchange pleasantries. Why the heck doesn’t Houde ask Julien why he’s a whiny goon coach, and the team he coaches is the same? I’d like to see that.

• Ton says:

We just haven’t had that one big moment against them in the last 5 years that would give us that upper edge between the two franchises. ex. Lucic getting taken out for the series by whom? Chara getting outplayed and his presence being exploited by our faster players……….(it almost happened when he faced dehydration) I hope those moments happen for us this series.

• L Elle says:

Our team came very close last time with a lesser team.

I can’t condone any player being “taken out”, even those jerks, but if somehow, Chara, Rat face and Lucic had a huge center ice collision, and they couldn’t play for the remainder of the playoffs, it wouldn’t bother me at all. ;)

• Ton says:

don’t mean intent to injure……..momentum swing that is huge! Your right that last series was sad loss. I was at games 3 and 4. We let them off the hook. In my estimation were better but so are the bruins!

• L Elle says:

I know what you meant Ton, but, unfortunately, nice guys finish last, eh?

Our team sure got giddy after being up 2 games. But, a team as good as the Bruins, even a 3 game lead is not safe.

Our guys are going to have to play their a$$es off, but I still say Habs will take it!

• Ian Cobb says:

Good post L.Elle,

So when we meet The Ducks and Koivu in the finals, would you mind if Saku got his name on the cup.???

• Maritime Ronn says:

It also looks like the Blues veteran signings didn’t work out.
      Guys like Brenden Morrow-Derek Roy.

When Pitt won their Cup, Billy Guerin lead the group.
      Scuderi on the Kings played Top 3 minutes and settled down a young Kings D when they won the Cup. He knew what it took from his Pit days.
      People can dislike Marc Recchi all they want, yet he was a key ingredient in the Bruins Cup win

• L Elle says:

Yes, definitely a hit or miss challenge to get the right guys at the deadline. Pitts signed a whole bunch last season, but, so what, when your goaltender breaks your heart?

Along with guys like Dr. Recchi, Tim Thomas was the main reason they won. Hopefully Rask reverts to the goalie who lost 4 straight to Philly.

28. Ton says:

Habs lineup> lots of post regarding the lineup……remember the Bruins win there game in the alley ways! those players like to swing mometum onto their skilled players…….Kelly Paille Thornton would out play a line of Briere Bourn and Weisse…….you need some experience……….I would go back to the Prust moen wiese combo> throw Briere into one of the first lines……..I think I would dress the likes of Murray to kill penalties but this me…I’m not the coach.

29. Lafleurguy says:

Back in March of 2009, Nick Bonino was part of a four-player trade between the Sharks and Ducks. Travis Moen was the key piece as the Sharks were ramping up for a playoff run.

30. Mattyleg says:

Morning tout le monde,

Really looking forward to this upcoming series. Either way it’s going to be a dandy, wrapped in a doozy, soused in a dilly, and garnished with lashings of a ding-dong.

I’m also looking forward to chuckling over the predictable pissing and moaning from the predictable posters. It’s always good to see them get worked up by their own ‘realism’!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Every time Habs fans see the success of the Chicago Blackhawks, there should be happiness knowing that GM Bergevin’s post playing/management career was all in Chicago.

He joined them as a Pro Scout in 2005 – went behind the bench for a year in 2008 – was promoted to Director of Player Personnel in 2009, then was named Assistant GM In 2011.

In other words, he was present for the total and long process of building a Cup Winning team.

He saw everything from smart drafting and patience – to making a steal trade such as Patrick Sharp for Matt Elison +3rd, or Johnny Oduya for a 2nd and 3rd…..and also the importance of key UFA signings at the right time such as Marian Hossa.

While we will never know to what degree Bergevin had input, just being around the likes of Dale Talon, Stan and Scotty Bowman must have been a great learning experience.

You would have to believe that spending 3 years with Scotty was nothing less than priceless.

Bergevin knows what he’s doing, and when he uses the word “Character,” it has a lot to do about not only his playing experience, yet what he also saw in his 7 years in Chicago.

• Ton says:

Agreed love watching those hawks play……never thought that I would like a second team so much. Character, they all the right pieces. Fun to watch and play the game like it should be played. I thought Chicago was unlucky and should have won in those first two games. Reality is they should have swept that that series.

• CH Marshall says:

I’d say thats a pretty good apprenticeship if there ever was one for an aspiring GM

• Cardiac says:

I think it helps when you are in a position to draft the likes of Toews and Kane as well.

– Jerry Maguire

• Maritime Ronn says:

That’s part of it, yet remember that Toews was drafted 3rd overall in 2006 behind Eric John son and Jordan Staal.
        Toews also played another year of college after being drafted before joining the Hawks.
        Patience.

Once the playoffs end, teams will be focusing on their off-season plans. This summer will be the last time a team can utilize a compliance buyout. It will be interesting to see if any players become available on the open market.

TWO BUYOUTS LEFT: Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Florida, Los Angeles, Nashville, Ottawa, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Winnipeg

ONE BUYOUT LEFT: Detroit, Edmonton, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Washington

NO BUYOUTS LEFT: Chicago, Montreal, Philadelphia, Toronto

24.4 Cups

33. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Go Habs Go !

“Inserted into the Flyers’ lineup for an injured Nicklas Grossman, Hal Gill had a rough game, involved in two Rangers goals against, and it was a hard situation in which to place a guy who had played two games since Christmas.” (TSN)

Contrast this with the Hab situation where they have the option of rotating Weaver, Bouillon, Murray and Tinordi.

24.4 Cups

• DipsyDoodler says:

Flyers traded Mesjaros for a 3rd rounder at the deadline.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• 24 Cups says:

The Bruins traded for Meszaros because he can play both sides plus they were unable to finalize a huge dead for Edler.

The big surprise in Beantown has to be Dman Kevan Miller who has averaged 20:45 during this year’s playoffs. Boston’s Achilles Heel is still the absence of Seidenberg and the wearing down of Chara as the playoffs continue to grind along.

24.4 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

Imagine, Miller along with Torey Krug were undrafted and signed as free agents by Boston

• Lafleurguy says:

So, on top of other GMs gifting stars to them, the Bruins’ scouts are also pretty good at their jobs? From the past, I just recall Shawn Thornton was a Maple Leafs prospect who was let go (as another demo of Bruins scouting).

• Maritime Ronn says:

guy
            They basically never lose a trade

• DipsyDoodler says:

They lost the Seguin trade.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Which means they also lost the Kessel trade.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

As time goes on and the ALL the players take their place, the bruins will have won the Seguin and Kessel trades

• Maritime Ronn says:

A game of inches.
      If Gill scores that goal instead of shooting high with an open net, he may have been the game hero.
      Instead, his D partner passes the puck into his skates – Skilsy has trouble – Moore makes the steal and scores the big important goal.

35. Hobie says:

YA Baby! Moen on the 4th line!

Bournival has been good but Moen is still more responsible at both ends of the ice. Moen has also had some success in the playoffs, is a great leader and has scored some timely goals.

Bournival’s time will come, he’s a heck of a player. Maybe even in this series, guaranteed there will be injures.

Hopefully Moen grabs Miller and gets even for that shot to the temple.

• Cal says:

Don’t tell scotty or gibby that. Moen is the worst player ever according to them. He’s apparently “completely useless.”

• Ton says:

why would Moen do this? Its the playoffs no need to fight…..win the series. He fought at the wrong time for he was at the end of his shift and really for reason…..why would he want to get even……again win the war thats what counts

Re: player height & weight discussion from yesterday. A lot of posters and Hab websites basically look at the overall average player stats for height and weight. I think that is the wrong way to look at things.

When I look at a team, I break the roster down into four categories: players with good size, smaller players, those that punch above their weight and those that punch below their weight.

The last two categories are obviously a matter of opinion but I think this formula gives you a truer indication of how a team performs in terms of physicality, toughness and grit.

Good Size – Subban, Murray, Tinordi, MaxPac, Vanek, Prust, Weise, White and Parros (press box players) / Moen, Bourque, Emelin and Eller (can all be inconsistent)

Smaller players – Briere, DD

Above Weight – Gallagher, Gionta, Bournival, Bouillon, Weaver

Below Weight – Gorges (ability), Markov (injuries), Galchenyuk (age?)

No Category Fit – Plekanec

24.4 Cups

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m filing a protest with your ranking of Galchenyuk. :)

Edit: Sorry. eyes aren’t open yet.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Sorry to disagree about Gorges, who is perhaps the most underrated and unrespected player on HIO.
      You don’t get a Shea Weber for a $3.9M Cap Hit.

This guy never backs down.
      He never avoids a hit when trying to retrieve a puck.
      He never cheats (contrary to some others…)
      He plays tough, 1st Unit PK minutes and sacrifices his body to block any and all shots.
      Rarely does he get caught making a major gaff.

Sure, he may not be big and tough, yet he will always stick up for his mates even when it’s almost suicide such as when he dropped the gloves with Leaf goon Frazer McLaren.
      Gorges can play on my team anytime as a #4 Dman.

Then the intangibles.
      He had Brendan Gallagher in his home instead of roaming around.
      Look how Gallagher plays and how he is becoming smarter in picking his spots.
      Of course Gallagher has character, yet surely some of the credit has to go to Gorges.

• 24 Cups says:

I knew those three players would be controversial choices. In terms of Gorges, and the discussion at hand, he doesn’t seem to be able to handle the front of the net. He can’t move players out of the way. He also loses a lot of puck battles behind the net and in the corners. The points you have raised are important but in terms of being a physical presence, Gorges doesn’t cut it.

24.4 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

I guess we see things a different way.
          I see Gorges as conservative and is also put in spots to cover up for defensive partner Dzone lapses along with missed assignments by forwards in the Dzone.
          From here, it’s also what the Habs get for the cost.

Finally, what does clearing the crease mean without taking a penalty?

37. Maritime Ronn says:

The LA-SJ series has been all out war.
    For those that believe the Bruins cross the line….

While the “Hit” stat is somewhat subjective – and even if it is off by 10%, these 2 big body teams have combined for 499 Hits in the 5 games.
    Put in perspective, the Habs-Tampa series recorded 226 Hits in 4 games from overall smaller bodies.

38. Habfan10912 says:

There is a rule against spearing in the NHL after all. Hmm.

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Great series win by the Hawks, and by far the best team Captain in the NHL – Jonathan Toews.

Very happy for Corey Crawford who was the forgotten and almost disrespected goalie in that series.

Here was a goaltender that won a Stephane Waite coached Cup – posted a .932 playoff SP, a 1.84 playoff GAA – won ‘back to back’ OT games that lasted 91 and 112 minutes….and it was all about Ryan Miller, and how he would lead St. Louis to the promised land.

From here, there was never a belief that Miller was a clutch goalie.
    Often in the past, he looked ‘spectacular’ because he made the easy saves look hard.
    His 1 excellent season in 2009-10 lead to a highly overrated goaltender.
    His numbers in the Chicago series proved that:
    .897 SP. 2.70 GAA.

The goaltending trend of the Last 3 years for a Cup winner shows the winning goalie posting:
    SPs of .932-.946-.940.
    GAAs of 1.84-1.41-1.98.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ron. At the time of the trade many thought this put the Blues over the top. I’m on record saying I’ve never fallen in love with Miller.

That being said, the major misfortune for the Blues was having to play the Hawks in the opening round. The defending Cup Champions did themselves proud.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

The West Conference has been extremely tough to win in the recent past.
        Now with the new playoff format, that Central Division will be a nightmare to win.
        Chicago-St.Louis-a young gangbuster team coming in Colorado.
        Up and coming teams like Dallas and Minnesota.

For Winnipeg Jets fans, they are in the same Division and it’s going to be a tough ride for at least the next 3 years.

40. CJ says:

Good morning.

Went to bed last night with Dallas ahead 4-2 and less than five minutes remaining. I guess it’s never over until it’s over. These have been back and forth series thus far. I can’t help but wonder if LA doesn’t have something going against the Sharks now. They have no margin for error, but they are proving to be a difficult out.

We may yet prove to be that pebble in the Bruins’ shoe. At the end of the day, I just wish these teams were playing tonight. The wait is a killer. I could probably bike down to the north end, grab a pastry at Mike’s, have a slice at pizzeria Regina’s, have dinner at the chart house, than grab a few pints at the bell in hand and find my way home before this series starts.

Fortunately, the practice facility at our golf course opens today, so I’ll have an outlet to help pass the time after work. Have a great day everyone! CJ

• JF says:

I felt sorry for the Stars last night, and especially for the arena full of fans who really thought they’d tied the series. But that’s the playoffs. The Stars played well enough to win, but they were very disorganized during the last few seconds. But they’re a young team, so they’ll learn from this experience.

As for the Kings and Sharks, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if history came back to haunt the Sharks. They’ve fallen short every playoffs in the last few years. At any rate, the longer the series goes, the more banged up the eventual winner will be.

You’re right, the wait is tough, but it has to be good for the team to get the extra rest. We might be rusty to start Game one, but if the series goes six or seven games, the rest will pay off.

41. Cal says:

Montreal. Home of 24 Stanley Cups.
    Montreal. Where the rafters of the Bell Centre are filled with banners of retired numbers of The Greats.
    Montreal. Where people bitch and Moen over the practice roster.

You’re supposed to enjoy the ride, folks, not whine all over it.

42. Marc10 says:

Man that was loud. CBC wasn’t always completely disgraceful…

Another primer… Can’t wait for the second round.

43. kalevine says:

on another note, could we be witnessing San Jose’s biggest series choke in a long history of series chokes?

44. kalevine says:

I never thought I’d say this but let’s give Therrien the benefit of the doubt. We have seen how little the regular season series can mean in the playoffs, so it may not be as important as we think to dress Murray., and, as someone pointed out earlier, we may need Moen’s defensive strengths more than Bourney’s forecheck. I definitely think opening on the road is better in this series because losing the first game on the road isn’t so bad, and they can adjust the lineup if circumstances indicate

Jesus… is it going to be THAT slow until the first game?

Found this: Le Canadien a dominé la possession de la rondelle face au Lightning – by Olivier Bouchard

Good article if you don’t have to use google translate.

• SlovakHab says:

Nice and detailed.
      I was checking ExtraSkater after every game, and indeed we surprised Tampa with puck possession game. Hopefully this lasts into the next round.

I am not stoked to see Bournival out for Moen. Bournival created a formidable duo with Briere on our 4th line. Moen, Briere and Weise will be a “skilled center & 2 guys with hands of stone”. Let’s see how that works. Hoping for the best.

47. CHicoHab says:

Although I like Moen because he does bring defensive grit I really don’t know if he will still bring it. He’s damaged goods. Won’t play with nearly the intensity Bourny has. What does MT see that I don’t see? Prust came back from injury and he’s playing non chalant. Against the bruins you need keep ur head up. Can’t see Moen lasting a game. My opinion

48. Gerry H says:

Huh. Just thought of something. One way or the other, Max Pacioretty and Zdeno Chara are going to have to shake hands.

49. Adidess says:

How cruel for the young Dallas Stars team!

Happy for Boudreau though!

50. Butterface says:

Things are just ducky.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

51. DipsyDoodler says:

OMG.

Anaheim down 4-2 and totally dominated during the game, pull the keeper with 2 min left and come back to make it 4-4.

The key was a dumb move by Chiasson from Dallas to instigate a fight that led to matching minor roughing penalties. That made it a 5 on 4 powerplay but Dallas couldn’t ice it.

Dallas also kind of panicked.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

52. DipsyDoodler says:

Watching Dallas-Anaheim.

Potential penalty on every play. Numerous penalties in fact. Holding or interference pretty much every time someone has the puck. Or else tripping.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

53. hitgurl says:

I would take Halak over Miller. Halak at least once had the playoff goalies dream of. And Miller has played with one team. Not his fault they lost but they expected too much from him. He would have had to gel instantly to give the kind of performance the Blues were expecting

54. alfieturcotte says:

I do not understand how Therrien can favor Moen over Bournival. He was the best player on that 4th line, not Briere, and not Wiese. Frankly, he can easily fit into line 2 instead of Prust. His speed, tenacity, and smarts with the puck will not be replaced in the least by Moen. What a ridiculous decision by Therrien. Complete waste.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Size and toughness

• AceMagnum says:

I say we wait until the end of game one…then bash Therrien….and of course Price…ugh that Hedman goal…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Moen has more experience. simple as that. Also Moen got hurt fighting to defend his teammate. I’m not Moen’s biggest fan but when Bournival does the same thing, let me know.

• naweed235 says:

Absolutely agree. And it’s not a knock on Moen, just that taking Bournival out of the line up doesn’t make sense. The kid is all heart and speed

• Marc10 says:

We’ll definitely miss Bourni’s forecheck. Moen is useful in that he’s better in the defensive zone and much tougher along the boards. We’ll need him in what is going to be a battle in the trenches.

Boston is nearly flawless in its team’s makeup. Their kids and newbies this season are very impressive, but its their veterans that tend to lose the plot. How many times have we seen Lucic, Kreiji, the Rat and Chara lose their minds when they get exposed or dumped on their can? I expect more of the same.

And Rask is hilarious when he gets upset. Does anyone have that .gif from last season after Gally’s shootout goal. That was priceless.

They won’t say it, but we’re the one team they probably wanted to avoid. And now with Bourque and Eller firing on all cylinders, we have four lines that skate and can do damage. Oh yeah, and that guy Vanek. He could be the key to the puzzle if he’s allowed to blow by Chara down the wing.

GHG

• desertman says:

We arent going to play a super aggressive forecheck, our game plan will be considerably different than the way we played tampa. We NEED to be way better defensively to cope with Boston’s ability to roll four lines. Moen is a far better play defensively that bournival and along with Pleky, forms one of the best PK units in the league. Considering the bruins have finally got the PP clicking, this will be critical.

Its a good move that will payoff. Also Briere and Weise have been more valuable to the line up.

55. hitgurl says:

That Ryan Miller deal looked ridiculous the day it happened. Such a big risk. And lo and behold. A waste of assets. The Blues may not win a cup anytime soon because of that foolish trade.

56. Danno says:

What a Maroon…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

57. calvee123 says:

Every time I think of this series in round 2, I get anxiously nervous. I feel like Montreal is the underdog, but they will find a way to win this series.

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

Buffalo Sabres must be pleased they were able to get rid of Ryan Miller. I think he’s a shell of his old self & this series against Chicago showed it.

59. 24AW says:

Boston is not Tampa Bay to get out of the 2nd round Habs had better turn it up a notch this is not regular season play, will have to work 60-minutes every game to take Boston out, it can be done but it won’t be easy.

I hope that Habs don’t get it into their heads that just because they won the season match-up… oh nevermind… can the effing series start already?

61. AceMagnum says:

Some Bruins fans I’ve talked to today in Toronto. Not overly confident in their ability to beat the Habs. The pressure definitely is all on Boston, Habs should be loose.

Consensus is the same among fans of both teams…winner of this series moves on to the finals.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

By the same token, the Bruins are still considered the favourite. Habs will need some of the intangibles working for them. It ain’t going to be easy should they prevail. I must say it would be great though. (especially if you live in S. Ontario, the greatest bastion for anti-Hab sentiment)…the rest of Canada has no problem (for the most part) with the Habs representing Canada.

62. Marc10 says:

So the Clippers, eh. Just when you think a franchise cannot get any lower…

Slow news day. The Bear hunt can’t get underway fast enough. GHG

63. Mavid says:

too bad someone has to lose when you go to 3 OT..I feel so bad for those kids..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

64. habs001 says:

The Habs vs Tampa…the Habs dominated basically most of the play…this has not happened in a long time for 4 games in a row…The Habs have won more games where they were outplayed and out chanced than they have lost and this has been a regular pattern the last few years..Will be interesting to see if this changes vs Boston or still remains…Habs can still win if this happens as they were outplayed and out chanced vs Wash and Pitts a few years ago…….Would be nice if the Habs can become a team that wins not because of lots of luck despite being dominated on the ice but because they dominate like vs Tampa….

• Mondou6 says:

I agree 100%, habs001…

For whatever reason, we ate Tampa’s lunch in the playoffs. Whatever Tampa tried to do, we were better.

Bruins are a different story. I feel like people are pushing the fact that we beat the Bruins in the regular season, but in those games we were completely dominated. Winning the games was incredibly lucky.

It’s almost impossible to win a 7 game series when you are completely outplayed, so I’m hoping we’re able to come up with something against Boston. We all know what the Bruins are going to do to us, and it’s going to be ugly.