Moen, Gorges miss Long Island practice

Pat Hickey checks in from Long Island, where the Canadiens practised at noon-hour today. They probably skated in front of nearly as many people at the Nassau Coliseum as they did last night, and hat’s off to the brave souls who made it to the rink Sunday to see the Islanders dispose of the Habs 4-1.

Canadiens forward Travis Moen didn’t skate today, still under the weather with the flu, and defenceman Josh Gorges took a therapy day. Gorges has been banged up for some time and at some point, you’d think coach Jacques Martin is going to rest him for his own good and that of the team, which will need him fully healthy in the New Year.

Lars Eller skated with Mathieu Darche and Benoit Pouliot while Jeff Halpern centred Tom Pyatt and Maxim Lapierre. Defenceman P.K. Subban, a healthy scratch last night, was paired with veteran Hal Gill.

Subban was involved in lively exchanges with Tomas Plekanec (not the first time they have clashed at practice this season), Benoit Pouliot, Mathieu Darche and Maxim Lapierre.

The Habs have a 2:30 pm flight to Washington scheduled for their game vs. the Capitals tomorrow night. Their charter flies out of Long Island, so they should avoid the chaos that’s gripping every airport on the Eastern Seaboard following the brutal blizzard of yesterday and last night.

Late afternoon update: The Canadiens did not take off on schedule. CKAC reports there were problems with the aircraft, and the players have returned to their hotel.

1. punkster says:

Trade him PG. Trade him while his value is high. DO IT PG!!!

(Sigh…f’in amazing the stuff that gos on in here some nights)

***Subbang!!!***

2. punkster says:

Not dissin’ the magic B food there, Bugs. Love it. Been a B advocate for over 40 years and I never had a colonoscopy that put the fear of God into me. Pfft, says I to the dreaded bum doctor. Bring on yer gastroenterology specialty. You’ve met yer match with me!

***Subbang!!!***

3. CanadienBoy says:

Sure hope the HABS get out off their slump by Jan.2 ,because i go a christmas present from my son section 103 range A behind the bench for 2 ,from here 7.5 hrs in good weather ,hope the boys bring the game they won again Phily last.

4. CanadienBoy says:

PK hate loosing more then the guys you play last night ,hello JM ?

5. petefleet says:

Being a professional means doing your best no matter what the coach is doing or what the team is doing.  If you’re suggesting Price is sulking AND he has a right to, then you don’t know as much about hockey as you think.  FYI, Roy left because of Tremblay.  That’s it.  They didn’t like each other when they played together and certainly not when Trmblay was behind the bench.  Check your Habs history.

”’Price is a pleasant suprise”’

6. Price_Is_Right says:

Jacques Martin and Brian Gionta comment on Lapierre and Subban!

7. CHsam says:

Wish we had Guy Boucher right now.

8. SLONCOLD says:

don’t worry we’ll get another bottom 6 forward for him

9. habs365 says:

By the way…thought I would throw this out there…o’byrne with col is a plus 10…big difference when you’re with a team that lets you play…not in the stands or pressbox.

10. SLONCOLD says:

what would u like us to trade? one of our many bottom 6 forwards?

gomez, gionta, pleks, cammy aren’t going anywhere.

i can see players like AK, PK, eller, weber, and pactches being available. what type of return are we going to get back on those assets? nothign all that great. remember we traded away our mvp last year for junior 3rd liner and a prospect with 6 points this year…. we always traded a defensemen who is getting 20 minutes a game in colorado and we have another junior player who may or may not see the ahl…

11. Bugs says:

I heard PK broke his stick and half and tried to stab one of’em with the splintered shaft.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

12. Bugs says:

(spits out mouthful of grape Mr.Freeze) Pffffttpthhh!!!

Whoa! Whoa, there, buddy. Easy with the tradin and the jumpin off bridges; easy. Just…just put down the gun, aw’ight? You don’t wanna hurt anybody; you wanna take it easy and think things through. Just…take it easy; you have friends, aw’ight? We’re here with you; there’s so much to live for, please. Aw’ight? No one wants to trade anybody, aw’ight?

C’mon. Come down from the ledge and we’ll talk about this, ok?

Buddy, c’mon. Easy. Just…just take it easy, aw’ight?

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

13. SLONCOLD says:

so he played a strong game yesterday? he’s to blame with the rest of the team

14. Bugs says:

But Brewster, I LIKE to poop, man. Nuthin like going to bathroom in the mornin knowin you got TWO bowls of 3.25% milk-drenched bowls’o'bran with raspberries backin you up, knowumsayin? You lose 2.5lbs and it’s not even 9 o’clock. Boom. Why exercise when you can poop? Bran rules, man. Don’t be dissin bran.

Happy Holidays, everybody.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

15. habs365 says:

If the media reports are correct…it’s a sad thing happening between PK and his team mates…sitting him out doesn’t help matters…if he’s bringing the team down…might as well trade him…he’s young,he’s good and unless something drastically go’s wrong…he’ll be a star…so mr. G…start looking for a good scorer 25 -30 seasons and let PK go where he’s gonna be happy and thank martin while you’re at it.

16. MTLForever says:

And taking penalties all day long? That’s the teams fault not Carey’s. the difference is definitely not goaltending!

17. joeybarrie says:

I really can’t imagine the ones who traded Halak, knowing how the fans felt about him and the gamble they took, give a second thought to how they would look with Eller in the NHL or the AHL.

He can play at the NHl level, why would he want an extra few minutes in the AHL per game, as opposed to learning in the league he wants to be successful in. To me its a waste of time.

The only downside is people expecting him to be a 50 point player in his first year.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

18. habs365 says:

Ian – I think you hit the nail on the head…and by the way…I like reading your comments…better than most on here…there’s always one that stirs the pot.

19. SLONCOLD says:

goaltending is over rated…. :-p so everyone says

20. punkster says:

Too much bran in your diet Bugs. Cut back a bit.

***Subbang!!!***

21. deuce6 says:

Losing tends to bring frustration out in everyone..Imagine how PK feels? Being the scapegoat really sucks..JM has done just that, even though PK is a part of it, the rest of the team have to look at themselves in the mirror and come to the reality that they are the ones to blame…The team as a whole has been garbage, this whole road trip..

Now, as competitive as PK is, how would you feel not being able to contribute and help the team by being nailed to the bench by an incompetent fool?

22. avatar_58 says:

Maybe the vets should shut up and practice you know – shooting at the net? Seems like everyone from Gionta to Cammalleri can’t seem to shoot at AHL angles. When you are in the slot directly in front of the net how the hell can you miss it? Even hitting the goalie would be acceptable. Yet there’s Gionta et al missing it by a foot.

Less blah blah and more red lights please. I don’t really care who likes who, or which pairs work. Just shut up and score

23. Favorite Son says:

So then all that stuff about PK having an attitude problem and the veterans not tolerating him is true. I know it’s part of the game if it happens once or twice a year. But with four different players during the same practice? That’s a bit much. I thought Francois Gagnon was just trying to stir things up in his article, but I guess he’s right.

24. avatar_58 says:

They what? The habs haven’t outplayed a team since the Boston game. The rest have been dull almost pointless shifts. This team is in a slump from the d to the forwards, regardless of Carey’s play. The difference is NOT goaltending.

They were outplayed by THE ISLANDERS. What does that tell you? Horribly hockey of late.

25. avatar_58 says:

This stuff happens all the time. Also you know it’s the media blowing it up, this happens all the time. Telling a young kid to shut his face when he’s a rookie is normal if you ask me, Subban hasn’t yet earned the respect others have.

26. avatar_58 says:

Lapierre should shut his mouth and contribute on the ice, else maybe he should be the one benched and not Pouliot.

27. New says:

Awh that stuff starts when the team loses. When they were winning he was golden. Eller has 6 points and is even in +-. Lapiere (full disclosure – I do not like anything about that player) has 8 but is – 5 with almost three times as many penalty minutes, and he plays a minute more or so.

Just because someone says “the only reason someone is playing is because of…” doesn’t make it real unless it is PG saying it and Martin is nodding along.

28. Favorite Son says:

So wait, Subban was involved in “lively exchanges” with Plekanec, Pouliot, Darche and Lapierre? All in one practice? Something’s not right…

29. New says:

Yeah I do as well. But it’s only because I’m hoping the recent ”wheels falling off”  is caused by something the players strongly suspect. The team is good at keeping things away from the press but guys in the room must have a pretty firm idea what’s going on.

30. Bugs says:

Why don’t you turn me loose, turn me loose, turn me loose,

I gotta do it my way!

Or no way at allllll…

…sorry; got carried away…

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

I did that Steve, my hand went clean through.! just hot air!

32. habs365 says:

pete – whom do you think got them where they are…if he’s disinterested would you wonder why…he hasn’t seen the same lineups in front of him…pretty much every game…since they started back in october…how can you be interested on a team like that…he’s not stupid…and down the road I can see the same thing happening…as what happened to patrick roy…one of the best goalies that ever laced up a pair of skates…carey will quit…and go somewhere just as patrick did…and win a cup…Hey, I’ve been a Habs follower for many years…and if you or any other Habs fan thinks this team they have in place is stanley cup material…you’re in for a rude awakening…bring in some steady scoring and they may have a good shot at the cup…and if some nut out there wants to label me as a troll…go for it…I happen to know hockey…maybe not as smart as martin…but close.

And after New Years, the pace and speed of the games in the NHL always pick up. We are a faster and more talented team this year. Will Martin turn them loose.?

Not sure where two players were having an argument, just gossip and hear say.

35. jrshabs1 says:

So now what? The whole team has been compromised..scorer’s dont score..defenders dont defend..goalie no longer stands on head…coach’s system no longer works. And to think that all I wanted for Christmas is two front teeth…and maybe a goalie to grow back his stash.

Go Habs Go!!

I was always told, if you do not have anything good to say, button it.!

I think I had better take that advice right now. !

But I smell a trade, or a change behind the bench. Not sure, but I smell something.!

37. KenD29 says:

Could not agree more with some of the comments that were posted on that site re “Yappy”!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

38. SLONCOLD says:

PK has found it might be the worst league to learn in

39. rocketsglare says:

Maybe Lapierre can apply that combativeness against the Caps on Tuesday night.

40. KenD29 says:

Ellar could use some time with the Dogs. He would get more ice time and help build up his confidence.  Pacioretty was sent down last year after seeing limited ice time with the big boys. Was ripping it up this year.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

41. habs03 says:

I think Luc Gelinas from RDS says it was Subban and Pleck.

42. KenD29 says:

Can you blame him with the way Hamrlik and Spacek have been playing?! How many times have they coughed up the puck leading to 2-1 or a breakaway?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

43. petefleet says:

I’m not.  MTL has outplayed their oppenents the last 4 losses.  The difference has been goaltending.  Period.  Giveaways go both ways.  Lately they all have been goals against.  Pk Subban notwithstanding.

”’Price is a pleasant suprise”’

44. joeybarrie says:

The NHL is the best league. There is no other league that will prepare him as well as the NHL. Stepping down into an inferior league to get better doesn’t make sense.

Cammalleri had 8 points in 28 games with the Kings in his first season…

Gionta had 11 points in 33 games.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

45. StevieRay says:

Laps needs a slap !

46. HabsFanInTampa says:

Now your splitting hairs.

47. MTLForever says:

Gorges needs to take a game off if not more. He hasn’t been 100% and last night he got worse. I know he is arguably our best back there but we don’t want this injury to stay longer. Have both PK and Weber play, maybe not together but have both in the line up.

JM GIVE ME THE PhD LINE BACK DAMN!!!!

48. MTLForever says:

not what we need!

49. MTLForever says:

New Jersey is in the basement.

50. Price_Is_Right says:

PK is obviously pissed: Subban and Lapierre argue at Practice!

51. MTLForever says:

can’t put everything on him, i mean the guys in front of him are not giving him much.

52. HabFanSince72 says:

Bugz’s boy Poolio seems to have a lot of difficulty staying up on his skates. He falls over more often than George Parros.

53. Bugs says:

(mutter)…wish we could give desharnais some trial’n'error…see who belongs on the team and who doesn’t…egg on face fersure.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

54. SLONCOLD says:

i think price has had a few games lately he would like to forget about, yesterday being one of them. however, he is still having a great year and we can’t expect the habs to win only on his back.

Cammy, gionta, gomez, AK all have to pick up their game. And get Pk back in the lineup already

It’s impossible for Eller to go to the minors.  The egg on G&G’s faces would be too much to bare.

Eller did have a year in the AHL and he will now have to gain NHL experience by trial and error.  He won’t be the first or the last.  There’s no rush seeing we have Pleks and Gomez under long term contracts.  I just hope that the Habs stick with the plan to develop Eller and Leblanc as centres.

56. SLONCOLD says:

i don’t know if he’s cleary good enough. the dude has 6 points in 34 games. He gets limited ice time.

HE’S NOT CLEARLY ready. HE NEEDS to put on some more WEIGHT and refine his SKILLS in the Minors.

:-)

57. rocketsglare says:

I’m sure no one is taking pity on the Habs for the loss of Markov. It’s unfortunately part of the game.

I hate to look at the game this way but two of our arch rivals now have significant players on the sidelines.  Ottawa’s Jason Spezza and Buffalo’s Derek Roy will be out of the line-up for an extended period of time.  It has to work to our advantage.

59. Cape Breton says:

I agree.

60. Bugs says:

Nice.

Unquestionably unquestionable, I think I’m

61. petefleet says:

Oh and last nite……….

Prices’ body language the last few games has been very telling, to me.  He looks very much like the guy from last year who lost way more games than he won.  He’s not following the puck very well at all.  In fact, he doesn’t seem interested in playing.  And  it’s not that he’s tired.  He doesn’t look tired.  He looks disinterested, just like last year.  He was shaking his head last night like it everyone’s fault but his.  Shades of 2009/10.  God I hope he goes back to the guy who played so well in Oct & Nov.

Merry Xmas one and all.  Behave on New Year’s Eve.

”’Price is a pleasant suprise”’

62. HabsFanInTampa says:

After watching last night’s game against the dreaded everlasting basement dwelling Islanders, I think everyone should be sent down to Hamilton.

63. StevieRay says:

So the Pleks line is back together…. now … JM put the PHD line back together. Benny is getting the shaft here. There is no way he is below Laps,Moen,Pyatt,Darche & Pacs on ” my” depth chart. Give him minutes …..

64. StevieRay says:

A times he has shown great vision on the ice ..he also doesn’t mind going to the corners… but just maybe all this line juggling has confused the lad a bit ..he certainly shows more ” game ” to me then Pyatt & Laps…

Hamilton might not be a bad idea but I’d like to see the kid get consistant 12 – 15 minutes a game with familar linemates ….

A bigger reason for him being with the big club is probably the fact that management are trying to save a bit of face from the Halak trade

65. otter649 says:

Splenger Cup on TSN right now with an almost 46 year old Dominick Hasek as a goalie for Spartak Moscow  against Team Canada who has Glen Metropolit in their lineup (0-0 after one period)……….

66. joeybarrie says:

Eller should be in the minors, but the management doesn’t want the player we got for Halak down there…

Does this make ANY sense to anyone? PG was smart, and bold enough to trade Halak in the first place, why would he be ‘scared’ to keep Eller in the minors? Do you think JM cares about how the organization looks in regards to if Eller is in the minors or not?

The best place for a player to learn is in the NHL. He is clearly good enough, and has enormous talent. It takes time for his game to transition.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

67. KenD29 says:

Was thinking the same thing watching the game last night.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

68. rocketsglare says:

JM is going to have to make some tactical decisions with the D, which is playing hurt and tired. There is no

reason to sit P.K. and yet have some of your D-men playing hurt or tired. If Gill, Gorges, Hamrlik, and Spa-

cek can be spelled by P.K. and Weber and perhaps an injury call up from Hamilton (Carle or Henry), I then

would call this a smart tactical move on the part of JM that would go a long way to heal and rest the D and

get them ready for the final playoff push. Having a well rested and healthy D to start the playoffs would sig-

nificantly improve the team’s playoff prospects.

69. SLONCOLD says:

i thought eller should have been in hamilton to start the season. however, everyone said he’s top six or what not. He’ll most likely stay with the big club and sit here or there because the organization doesn’t want to have the main piece of the halak deal in the minors.

70. scrowe21 says:

Anyone else think Eller should go to Hamilton for awhile? 6 points in 35 games. takes a lot of bad penalties. Hasn’t been very impressive at all in my opinion. Every time he has one good shift everyone goes on about how great he is going to be some day..thats fine, but he’s not helping the team right now. Pretty sure White could help the team more right now. I’d also even try little DD. Cant really hurt at this point.

71. habstrinifan says:

Questions to mull while gorging on left-over turkey.

How’s that Gionta captaincy working out eh?

How’s that ‘leadership core’ group thing going eh? Super did you say? Sorry I thought I heard Stupor!

How’s that transcendental year for Josh Georges where he becomes an elite D in the league loking eh?

How’s that bright shining young prospect thing working out eh?

How’s JM’s tight impenetrable defensive system where you dont have to score working out eh?

How’s all that inventory of hyperbole over some centennial or other holding up eh?

How’s the P.R backroom boys doing trying to cull a group of ‘legends’ to hold ‘ceremonies’ for and distract the fans  from the mess this franchise has become eh? All together now.. KOVI! KOVI! KOVI! Not a dry eye in the house as his number is retired. Next is Gomez’s!

How’s that ‘perfect candidate for the GM job’ right in the next chair thing working out eh?

How do I set an ankle splint for my leap off the f’fffffing balcony (read bandwagon) eh?

How do I stop JM from punking the fans into believing that what he coaches is HABS hockey eh?

How do I get Pepto Bismal off my brand new “25th cup” shirt eh?

72. Price_Is_Right says:

But then reported on TSN about 2 hours later…not rumors…MARTIN HAS GOT TO GO!

Good things come to those who wait…But only what’s left by those who hustle!

73. Price_Is_Right says:

Trade away SUBBAN??? Are you SERIOUS?!?

That’s like getting rid of Roy and keeping Tremblay! (Not that subban is a Patrick Roy in terms of stature) But he the closest thing potential wise that we have had since! MARTIN HAS GOT TO GO!

Good things come to those who wait…But only what’s left by those who hustle!

74. larisalapointe says:

P-ster, all the H****k and fire JM people are running amok, I think I’ll come back here after our team wins and Price gets a shut-out, after stopping 25 breakaways in a row of course. :)

75. MTLForever says:

Good that Gorges took it off. He needs to sit a game though.

76. shiram says:

They had to bring Subban back, reasonably he should take a game or two from Gorges who really seem to need more than just therapy days.

Great that nothing changed on the top 2 lines. For the third I wonder how they would perfom with Pouliot,Eller and Desharnais, it could possibly bring some much needed offence.

77. marshx says:

Yea I could see Subban for Gorges 1 game.

I wonder if the prudent thing to do is send Gorges back to Montreal and let him rest and heal for an extended period of time.  I wuold even consider giving him until Jan6.  That would be a ten day stretch.  Insert Subban into the line-up and let Weber play all four games, as well.

I can’t see the point of having Gorges play through the next few months if he’s going to be banged up and unable to perform.  We would eventually land up paying the price.  Let’s deal with it right now and have a fresh Gorges for the spring playoff run.

79. habitual says:

They should be also rotating Spatch and Hammer.  These guys are eating big minutes, and I think it is showing.  We’re going to have to live with the mistakes Picard, Webber and PK make, otherwise all 4 of our top D are going to be worn out and banged up heading into the playoffs.

80. JF says:

I agree about Gorges.  He’s not helping the team, and if we’re ever going to make up some of the points we’re throwing away, we’ll need him healthy.  But I think it’s time for PG to make a move and get us some help on defence.  Our older veterans are already tired, and all our young guys are prone to error.  I seriously doubt the defence we have will get us to the playoffs.

81. Cape Breton says:

Just a thought, but how about moving PK up front for a game or two and see what happens. After all, the team is crying for offence and Subban just might be the answer to this pitiful bunch of forwards who can’t put the puck in the ocean.

82. sidhu says:

I would prefer if PG did his job and get us 1) some energy/grit up front, and 2) some relief on D.

83. JF says:

I doubt it would be in Subban’s interest to use him as a forward.  They’re trying to develop him into a top-pairing defenseman; learning that role is enough for him to cope with.

84. sidhu says:

To make matters worse, Roloson was named the NHL’s first star of the week

85. Cape Breton says:

You want energy and grit up front? Well my friend, PK could very well be the answer to your problem.

86. jimmy shaker says:

May day, may day, may day….I repeat….may day, we are going down, repeat…..we are going down.  PG, please get Robinson from jersey and save yourself and this team, it’s too talented to be playing like this.  And note to Habs brass, Carey needs a rest…..if Auld can’t go, bring Sanford up and give him a shot for the love of God……salvage this road trip and win the last 3!

Shaker

87. SLONCOLD says:

carey is 6’3 220lbs. as proven last year big players especially goalies do not get tired. only people below 6′ get tired in nets. :-p

88. Cape Breton says:

Remember Red Kelly? He went from all-star D-Man to all-star forward. Like I said, just a thought, but at this point, with a sputtering offense, there’s little to lose.