Mikhail Sergachev has high praise for fellow Canadiens prospect Jeremiah Addison

STU COWAN

Canadiens fans know all about defenceman Mikhail Sergachev, the team’s first-round pick (ninth overall) at last year’s NHL Draft.

But they might now know much about forward Jeremiah Addison, who was the Canadiens’ seventh-round pick (217th overall) at the 2015 NHL Draft.

Sergachev (photo above) and Addison were both part of the Windsor Spitfires team that won the Memorial Cup with a 4-3 victory over the Erie Otters last Sunday. Sergachev had an assist in the championship game, while Addison was pointless. But Addison, the Spitfires captain, scored three goals in an earlier 4-2 win over the Otters that sent the Spitfires to the final, with Sergachev scoring the other Windsor goal in that game.

“I always say he’s a great leader in the room and on the ice, too,” Sergachev said about Addison in a telephone interview Wednesday morning from Windsor, where the Spitfires were preparing for a 6 p.m. Memorial Cup parade through the city. “He cares about the team and he’s that team guy. He likes everyone, he spends time with everyone.

“On the ice, he’s just a beast,” Sergachev added about the 20-year-old Addison, who had 24 goals and 19 assists in 51 regular-season games with the Spitfires. “He takes the puck and you’ll never get it away from him because he just protects it so well. He makes smart decisions with the puck, he’s a pure shooter. He’s a great guy and a great player.”

Addison played four games with the AHL’s St. John’s IceCaps during the 2015-16 season, picking up one assist.

Sergachev, 18, started this season with the Canadiens and played three games in the NHL before being returned to Windsor. He also played in the Canadiens’ final regular-season game in Detroit as an emergency call-up, logging 17:13 of ice time. The defenceman failed to register any points in his four NHL games.

Sergachev said he was frustrated when the Canadiens sent him back to junior, but in hindsight believes it was the right decision by the club. He ended up winning a bronze medal with Russia at the World Junior Hockey Championship and the Memorial Cup.

“I got lots of ice time,” said Sergachev, who had 10 goals and 33 assists in 50 regular-season games with the Spitfires and was plus-22. “I think I improved my defence. I played at the world juniors and I played on a shutdown line. I felt like I was pretty good at it.

“In the playoffs, I didn’t play that well, but defensively I felt like I got so much better in battles,” added Sergachev, who had one goal and two assists in seven post-season games as the Spitfires were eliminated in the first round of the OHL playoffs, but still advanced to the Memorial Cup as the host team. “I played way more minutes, so I feel like I’ve improved on defence and on the penalty kill.”

Sergachev is heading back home to Russia on Friday and plans to take a two-week vacation before starting his summer training program there.

“I just want to see my family,” Sergachev said about returning home. “I obviously miss Russia … I miss that atmosphere in Russia. It’s so much different … I don’t know how to explain that.”

Sergachev obviously hopes to make the Canadiens next season, but will have to return to Windsor for a final season of junior if he doesn’t.

The Canadiens already have five defencemen under contract for next season: Shea Weber, Jeff Petry, Alexei Emelin, Brandon Davidson and Jordie Benn. Nathan Beaulieu and Nikita Nesterov can become restricted free agents on July 1, while Andrei Markov can become an unrestricted free agent.

The Canadiens could also lose a defenceman in the NHL expansion draft.

“I’m excited to see what’s going to happen this summer,” Sergachev said. “I’m going to train in the summer and be ready for training camp.”

As for Canadiens fans hoping to see him in the Montreal lineup next season, Sergachev had this message: “I know how badly they want Montreal to win the Stanley Cup. I just say just keep cheering for the Montreal Canadiens and I hope as soon as possible Montreal’s going to win the Stanley Cup.”

(Photo: Dennis Pajot/Getty Images)

• Memorial Cup caps whirlwind year for Sergachev, by Stu Cowan

• Canadiens’ English-language regional telecasts moving to TSN, by Pat Hickey

• Bergevin’s job will be tougher with stagnant salary cap, by Pat Hickey

• Angela Price sparks feeding frenzy after posting nursing photo, by Hayley Juhl

• Chez Subban bar unites hockey fans of all stripes in Montreal, by Stu Cowan

1,203 Comments

1. on2ndthought says:

New thread

2. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

NHL combine results:

For a guy who is 5’7″ 150 lbs, Yamamoto did very well.

3. on2ndthought says:

I won’t be surprised if MB offers a contract to King, nor too disappointed. I’d love to see a fourth line of King McCarron Martinsen; even if only against a couple of teams.

King ‘earned’ $2M last year, and don’t think he’ll get that much this year. There is a lot of good in King’s game; but scoring isn’t part of it. I’d rather have King and Martinsen not scoring than Mitchell and Flynn.

Of course, it would be better if Matteau discovered some sort of scoring touch.

4. Psycho29 says:

Аrpon Basu‏ @ArponBasu · 24 minutes ago

So before heading home to Winnipeg, Nolan Patrick is visiting with the Devils, Flyers and…Habs.
    One of these things is not like the others

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Another LV contract+draft pick rumour by Yuckland.
    Staal and a 1st to LV so the Rangers can sign Shattenkirk.

Add this to:
    Bobby Ryan+1st round pick
    Dustin Brown+11th overall pick
    Callahan+2nd round pick.

If this comes to fruition, LV will make out like bandits.

6. Cal says:

Woohoo! Puddy pwease sign an about to be 27 year old (!) who will do nothing but skate quickly.
    Another Bargain Bergy Moment, brought to you by Puddy Pops™- we had to change our name since the Bill Cosby thing.

7. RightNyder says:

Off-season MB gets an early fix:
    “Gotta sign a pud. Gotta sign a pud. C’mon, gimme a pud. I need it. I need it bad. Gimme a pud. Gimme a pud. I have to give Martinsen a one-way deal? Done. Gimme a pud. Need a pud.”

The latest example of the spiffy plop-pitcher snaring a fifth-line pud™ from one of the league’s worst teams and adding him to the fold.

What’s the harm, you say? Geoffie has $640K in his sock drawer.

On the surface, nothing. Martinsen is a big, cheap warm body with NHL experience. Maybe he’ll be another diamond in the rough.

Maybe. There were a few decent reports out of Colorado when the deal was made, so you never know. But ‘you never know’ appears to be all MB ever has. If Martinsen was any good at all, why wouldn’t he wait and become a free agent instead of signing for (relative) pennies?

Maybe he realized the best chance to stay in the NHL was to crack the sad-sack collection of forwards in Montreal, and that his new coach might want to move away from the Smurfs and into Beef Mode.

Or does it say that MB realized he gave up a former turd-rounder for this pud, didn’t want to look even dopier, so guaranteed him a one-way deal? Just one more pud in the way of any potential prospect. Or, maybe because we have no actual prospects, we need to keep signing puds?

Best part is, if he gets 15 points and accidentally runs into one or two people along the way, the Pollys will soak through their cargo shorts and declare him a steal. So we’ve got that going for us.

• SmartDog says:

Yah, upside 15 points. Less than what Andrighetto picked up after the trade. MB may not be an idiot. But he sure looks like one sometimes.

————————————-
      With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
      The “C” stands for Cronyism.
      The “H” stands for Hubris.

• RightNyder says:

‘Ghetto’s one of those guys (to me) who’s better suited to be on a bad team. Like a 4A player.
        A Grabovski or a S. Kostitsyn. Can put up 50 if no one worries about them defending anything. Have more than enough skill to play with good players, but not big enough, strong enough or effective enough to be a bottom sixer either.
        He’s a ‘tweener.

I don’t really miss him. However, on an offensively starved team, I’d rather have my 13th forward be a guy like that (who you used a third-rounder on) with a glimmer of offensive upside than a giant pud with none.

• kalevine says:

that may be true, but he didn’t get much of a chance here. As I mentioned before, my last memory of Ghetto was when someone ticked him off on the opposing team and he got VERY riled up and ready to do battle. As I watched it I wondered how much of it was desperation to be recognized in this league. But the passion seemed genuine, and it’s more than I saw in the playoffs from Martinson, Ott, and that completely unmotivated turd King combined.

So, with the sample size with the Habs being too small, it might be comforting to say that Andrighetto is better suited to a bad team. But then so are most of the current Habs’ vets, from Markov to Pleks to even Weber, none of whom have played on elite teams and none of whom could make their teams elite.

• cbhabsfan says:

Back in February, the Avs fan site people thought he should be re-signed….

Mentioned that above.

In the end, we were so starved for any type of physicality people were actually pleased with the completely spent and extraordinarily horrible Steve Ott.

“Did you see that Martha? He ran into someone. Ooooo! Haven’t seen that in a while.”

Martinsen will probably elicit the same type of reaction, minus the hair-stroking bonus points, if he runs into anyone.

“Did you see that? I think it was a hit. Oooooo. He’s a keeper.”

The other thing that should be mentioned is the hot beef injection the team received at the deadline last year probably had a lot more to do with Bill Dauterive than it did the natty dung-flinger.

Perhaps a more thuggish, Broon-type team is in the offing (even if the league is going in the other direction). Front will be moist. LeRev perhaps not so much.

8. SmartDog says:

Sorry, I need a bit of a rant here…
    The way Bergevin talks about (and signs) players always reminds me of the scout scene from Moneyball. “A lot of pop coming off the bat… a LOT of pop.” “You can hear it all around the ballpark.”

I really can’t see what good Martinsen can do us. UNLESS he’s signing him because he needs one more body to expose to LA. But I would think we have enough depth guys, since depth guys is most of what we have.

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He’s a 13th forward. What do you want in a 13th forward? 675K for one year…I just don’t see the big deal in this.

BTW the Habs have nobody with size AND speed who can hit hard. No issue with giving Martinsen a shot. Doesn’t work…waivers and good riddance.

• Loop_G says:

If MB signed him to a multii-year multi-million dollar contract I could agree. This is as low as it gets on the pay scale, he is being paid to fill in from time to time. The signing makes sense because he is fast, hits, and does not make a lot of mistakes. There is no real downside to this as there is not really a better player that you can get for less.

9. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Speaking of McCarron…if MB can move him in a package to get a Boone Jenner…bye.

10. SmartDog says:

Bergevin resigned Martinsen? WTF???
    – 7 points in 64 games on the YEAR
    – ZERO points in 11 games as a Hab
    (…for the record, Ghetto had 16 points in 19 games with Colorado)

Good going Marc. Another foxhole guy I’m sure. If they every play hockey in a trench, I’m sure we’ll win.

————————————-
    With Marc Bergevin’s leadership:
    The “C” stands for Cronyism.
    The “H” stands for Hubris.

11. Don Birnam says:

The Viking played for Lilliehammer.
    I like that name.

12. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Regarding the bottom six…if MB makes moves where Pleks, Shaw, Danault, Lehks and Byron end up in the bottom six, this team can be dangerous. Add to that a Markov or Jerk on the third pairing and they can do some damage. Two strong 3rd lines playing the bottom six can help make up when the top-6 is not going. Just look at the start of the last two seasons. This is why I was disappointed they didn’t sign Shipachev. A probable number two center at 5 million for two seasons only without losing an asset would have been a good risk IMO.

13. veryhabby says:

My last thought on Martinsen…..and everyone cheers…

He better be #13 frwd. Would rather see Hudon, DLR, MCC on our 4th line then Martinsen.

Maybe if MTL gives their kids a fair chance at camp, Martinsen can even see himself in Laval. There has to be more in our organization then Martinsen for our 4th line. I don’t care what his size is.

I think my angst is about us giving up on an offensive prospect….our crappy trade deadline deals….us not getting deeper in the playoff, when we had the team and an easy route in the East…and tired of no wow moves to make this team better….and how poorly we seem to develop our prospects. (Hudon better be give a real chance on the top lines)

That’s all….on to ppl complaining about PK

14. chilli says:

Since the signing of Martinsen is of zero interest. (I actually like him as a 4th liner – just give him some ice CJ!)

Why do people feel such need to worry about the room?
    “PK’s act is getting tiring for the room”.

Who cares.

They are all paid a lot of money to be in that room.
    An hour before, an hour after, and then they go home.

He’s paid a lot of money to do what he does on the ice.

Plenty of great athletes were very much disliked in their room for far worse reasons: Kobe. Jordan. Tiger. Roy.

And not that PK is at their level of dominance, but he’s still a star that does things on the ice that very few can do.

So if you have to put up with his constant chatter, who cares.
    He’s never mean to anyone, a total team guy that likes to talks a lot.

As a few guys mentioned yesterday “I’ll take a total arse if he’s a winner”.
    I agree.

15. veryhabby says:

Well we all agree MB messed up at the trade deadline.

The best pick up Ott…was steps away from retirement

King is brutal and will never play for us again.

Martinsen, we gave up a 3rd line offensive player who can prob play on 2 line to fill in for injuries. So we had to at least resign him as our #13 guy. Can’t be 0-3 with the assets we traded away.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The one player I can not fathom why MB didn’t pick him up was Stafford. Supposedly he is slow but compared to King everyone is Bure. And Stafford went for a 6th round pick. Stu was right to question MB at the presser about not picking up any scoring this season.

16. veryhabby says:

Still would rather have a small Ghetto then Martinsen on this team.

Pretty sure Ghetto will have a more successful NHL career then the 27 yr old Martinsen. We know that Ghetto has already more pts then Martinsen will ever have in his career.

Oh well, another 4th liner, except he has no offense. At least guys like Mitch and Flynn have shown they can score 5-10 a year. Poor McC if he ends up the 4th line C with Martinsen on his side.

Hopefully he is nothing more then frwd #13 or even #14.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Ghetto is not a 13th forward. Martinsen is. The 13th forward should not be an offensive prospect IMO. It should be a physical player who is there for games where things get rough sometimes. It has no effect on his playing ability if he plays regularly or not. I just don’t want to see Mac not playing here. There is no point for that.

• veryhabby says:

don’t worry DDO, habs don’t have any offensive prospects except Hudon. And no one knows how that will end, if he ever plays for us. So I have no worries of MTL wasting the #13 spot on an offensive prospect lol.

He hits, but he isn’t a fighter

I would rather see a 4th liner who can score, hit, and skate. Maybe even be an asset on PK. Martinsen brings zero unless he hits. Woopie dooo. I am sure the 2 teams playing for the cup have a Martinsen on their 4th line….oh wait never mind

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Actually the Preds have McCleod who helped the team a lot when he was acquired. He had like 3 fights in his first week. He’s the type of 13th forward I am talking. In and out when you need him. Martinsen has the potential to be a better version of him.

• veryhabby says:

I guess I do not see him as a fighter. So as a 4th liner you either are tough and fight or you are great on PK/D things and pop a few a season. Simple size and hitting, meh…not really enough for me on the 4th line. so he takes up space. Wow. And mostly at 27, do you really think there is place still for development. I am guessing no. Hey he’s a habber so I will support the guy, but meh….

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m not that impressed either but for one year 675K…why not.

• bwoar says:

The fourth line will start with Mitchell and McCarron, plus whoever else.

Flynn? His 10 points a year aren’t much different from the big Viking’s, whereas the contract was $950,000.

• cbhabsfan says:

Andrighetto’s problem was that he was just another small fish in a forward group with too many small fish.

As an example, Zuccarrello would have a tough go of it if he wasn’t completely surrounded by redwoods in that Rangers lineup.

The way Martinsen skates, he should have no trouble keeping up with the play, unlike another big man we picked up at the trade deadline.

• Loop_G says:

Martinsen was not brought in to score, everyone knew he wouldn’t but he does bring some physicality and energy. I don’t see ‘ghetto being a player that we will miss. He can be replaced by dozens of free agents for a couple million a year or less, anytime we need to.

• veryhabby says:

same can be said of Martinsen. Tons of UFAs can do more then him for our team in that same role.

It’s just MB trying to not have wasted all those assets in a trade. Him trying to not look as bad with those moves. Add another 200K and you could have had a player who would bring a lot more then him. He did nothing to impress. I guess when size is the only thing, it means nothing to me. My money, he doesn’t get resigned next summer.

17. mdp2011 says:

Actual Habs’s news:

Canadiens re-sign Andreas Martinsen.

DETAILS -> http://goha.bs/2rDOFZK #GoHabsGo

Edit:

Pierre LeBrun: Canadiens Montréal
    one year, $675,000

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Send him to Nilan to learn how to fight. For him to be successful he has to be able to play that hitting style. For him to last and help this team, he has to be able to defend himself.

• cbhabsfan says:

Unfair. You picked the one fight where he got smoked, and by the same beast who took care of Beaulieu back when he was thinking of himself as a tough guy. He did pretty well in most of the others, one of which was against Chris Neil.

What I liked about his fights was the most of them resulted from a clean body check that the opposition took offence to. I don’t mind my player responding to that.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Fair IMO. I picked a fight against a guy the Habs need to stand up to. I like his clean hits too but he is going to have to stand up for himself better. That is the way the game is played.

What is more important is that he has the speed to play the game so he has the chance not to become a liability. This is huge because players like him are used on the road where frequently the opposing coach throws out the top line against them.

• Loop_G says:

No need to fight anymore, the world has grown up a bit since that was needed. I like the signing, good energy player from time to time, does not make stupid mistakes and can hit. He’ll sit half the games out but that’s fine.

• cbhabsfan says:

I like this signing. I’ve always been a fan of big and fast forwards who like to hit, and that describes the big Norwegian winger to a T.

I liked what I saw of him in his short time with the Habs after the trade deadline, but I’m also aware that not too many people on HIO feel the same way about him. Scoring goals doesn’t appear to be his strong suit.

• bwoar says:

Well, he can skate and hit. He’s the new Flynn, 13th forward, just a different style of player. Dirty Champions gotta stay muscled up.

• veryhabby says:

nothing like Flynn

Flynn can take f/o and was an excellent PK and could be a regular player on an ok team roster (ie super deep team maybe not)

Martinsen can’t take f/o, be a top PKer nor is he a regular hockey player. If he is, wow our roster will suck

Flynn has scored in 1 season more then Martinson will in his career

18. bwoar says:

“The problem with Bouchard is that she more of a celebrity than a tennis player.”

The irony of reading this on a PK Subban fansite. You guys are funny!

• Don Birnam says:

I like her new Nike outfit.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yup. She has done nothing. She had one good year where she won no tournaments and suddenly became a star. She’s all about the commercials and the swimsuit issue…not that there is anything wrong with that. She became a celebrity first before she was good. The other guy was good first for years then used it for celebrity. Big difference.

• bwoar says:

“The other guy was good first for years then used it for celebrity.”

O RLY???

I didn’t comment in order to slag on GB or “the other guy”, I just think that having standards for when it’s okay to profit from celebrity is ironic right here, right now on this here website.

I’m kinda teasing too, of course.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Trust me…I get the irony. I know you didn’t say that to slag the other guy. I was just further clarifying my point about Bouchard. The attention she has received for what she had accomplished is ludicrous. You remember the Nike winter playground football commercial with all those all-stars? She was in it. She has taken being blonde and good-looking in tennis without winning to a whole new level since Kournikova (who is still the hottest all-time IMO).

• bwoar says:

If only we could all be famous for being blonde and good looking and only sort of good at our jobs.

Well, there’s still hope in my case! :p

19. Don Birnam says:

So if The Pens win The Cup, then Hainsey is better than Subban.
    And we got Bupkis for him.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Beaulieu looks like he is turning into the next Hainsey IMO. Watch Pitt pick him up for nothing a couple of years from now and he contributes in another playoff run. LOL

20. Ton says:

PK crap is getting old. I’m a habs fan. He’s gone and I am pleased to have Shea Webber as one of our players. If you choose to cheer for PK that’s fine but don’t do it with bitterness that we lost the trade bla bla bla. lf you choose to worship his brand and think PK over our team (habs) …leave the site and join his fan club

• habcertain says:

“Cheer with bitterness”, “worship” ….. I think you tipped your hand.

• Ton says:

Oh I forgot about you……….your that PK fan and “certainly” not a habs fan!

• habcertain says:

And pray tell, why can’t you be both? I have been a faithful Hab fan for over 50 years, thanks for the empty response.

• Ton says:

Nothing wrong with being both. But most put PK ahead of our team and cheer for PK even if its at the expense of our team. PK is gone……..done in Montreal…….move on and trading him was not a mistake. Shea Webber is a great hockey player.

• habcertain says:

Well NAS is playing for the Cup, Weber is playing golf, I don’t get your point that talking about PK, means some slight on Weber. PK says they will win game 3, no big deal, then the haters come running out spewing trash.

Weber is a fine, not a great player. Orr/Robinson, they were great players, if we what to move to that debate. PK is fine also, imo.

• Loop_G says:

I loved PK while he was here, still like him as a player but yeah, it is old and ridiculous. Weber is a great hockey player, we did not get fleeced here.

Even in the media I have heard twice today broadcasters saying they are really sick of hearing PK, I can understand how it would get old and divisive in a locker room. In Nashville, he’s the 3rd best defender, he is not carrying the team.

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

More LV draft pick acquisition rumours from Yuckland. In addition to Booby Ryan+1st now there is a Dustin Brown+11th pick and even Callahan+2nd round pick. That would be a great move by Yzerman.

22. theox_8 says:

Ohhhhhhh no PK said hey would win game 3 …. and they did . KICK him out of the league now please . Comical how those words can infuse such a time bomb on here . Thank god he didn’t give the Pacioretty cliche of ” we need to be better , they are a good team , we just need those bounces” . By the way I’m still waiting for those bounces to go in like everyone claimed they would 2 seasons ago . And in other news the sun rose today and it’s freaking game 4 in smashville baby !!

23. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

McPhee confirming that teams are lining up offering up large contracts. It is less likely they will draft a Pleks or Emelin (if available) because they will already have acquired large contracts. I am really curious what teams are going to give him. He can really load up on picks this year and years to come.

• Phil C says:

It will probably depend how badly they want to be good right away. If they load up on veteran contracts, they could be competitive right away. If they choose to go more with younger players and propects, then it will be more of a tanking strategy.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think they can do both. It is going to take at least 5 years before they can become seriously competitive and that is dependent on where and how they draft. If they get high draft picks for these vets (e.g., Ryan and 1st rumour), they can set themselves up for the future.

They will draft young players and when they take a salary, it will be with draft picks so they will be always acquiring young players or picks when they draft. All I know it looks like ZERO chance they will be taking Pleks or Emelin (if made available). My prediction is still Davidson will be a GK.

24. Dust says:

Sloan had a song with the lyrics
    “It’s not the band i hate, it’s their fans”

That is how i feel about Subban. haha

25. habsr4ever says:

The PK stuff is getting old.
    Weber is a pro. Its pretty obvious as to why the habs traded away PK.
    Who guarantees victory in a game 3 of a playoff game?
    The story of its just PK being PK is getting old. He is not Mark Messier and doesn’t have a resume even close to his when Mark made that statement. The yapping to Sid about bad breath and stuff simply gets away from the game. Call it he is trying to get under Sid’s skin or what ever you want. PK wears teammates down and makes it about HIMSELF a way too much. He loves the spot light and good for him but I just wish he would stick to playing the game and stop the shananagans. He is talented enough and a solid NHL dman. He doesn’t need to do this stuff. The game and series is about the TEAM and not himself trying to get attention for all the wrong reasons.

Give me Shea Weber please ANY day of the week. There are reasons he is always called a constant pro and teammates love him. Can’t say the same for PK. He will wear out his welcome in Nashville with his teammates too. Already starting to see it. His honeymoon will be over soon there.

So glad our top 5 GM got mister Weber for PK. Call the cops – we robbed Nashville.

• FormalWare says:

I’m glad to see one more post of this sort on the record. Reeks (more strongly even than P.K.’s breath) of desperate bravado.

It is now nigh-impossible to support a claim that the Habs won the Subban-Weber trade. If P.K. hoists the Cup, you can scratch the “nigh”.

Montréal Canadiens: “Season after season under the same, low ceiling.” – D.M.

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

Seriously? Maybe he should’ve said, “Well, I don’t know who’s going to win game 3. We might. So could Pittsburgh.” Then he’d have been torn apart for being such a terrible leader. And really, you’ve got a problem with him yapping to Sid? Like, oh, thirty or forty other guys in these playoffs so far? No double standard there. Or maybe when he was asked what Sid said, PK should’ve actually repeated it, in which case he’d be vilified for breaking the code and seeking attention.

Give it up already.

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

• Dust says:

Ok/ PK was instigating the trash talk. And i don’t think after winning the game is the time to be doing that. Yap all you want during the game. BUt after your team wins isn’t the time if you ask me

• habsr4ever says:

Simply say NOTHING. He wasn’t asked by the reporter if they are going to win game 3. Why go to THAT level and do that to your team? Nice bulletin board material for the other team eh? Not one cup and he is yapping like that? Sheesh. Bet his teammates and coach loved that quote from a player that doesn’t wear the C on his team.

• chilli says:

Garbage post.
      This world of ‘only Mark Messier’ can make statements is what’s getting old.
      And PK saying the bad breath thing was to stay true to a code that you never yap to the media what is said on the ice. Not to someone like Sid who is a spokesman for the league – but can yap with the best of them….

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He is delusional. It is the same’o same’o everyday. Whether the Preds missed the playoffs or win the Cup, the Habs still blew an good shot at the ECF. Instead of focusing on that and how to improve the team, all he can do is attack another player and talk about a lateral trade that had ZERO effect on the team. This used to be a joke but now it is just sad.

• habsr4ever says:

If you say so mister negativity. My focus is ALWAYS on the HABS unlike people who can’t stand our team and rip every player on OUR team and every trade or move our GM makes every chance YOU get.
          Its too bad you can’t handle the truth and give respect to posters who have MAJOR differences of opinion than yourself and actually have a positive outlook on our team and its players and management.
          It really is SAD to say the least. Spend more time on google – you may understand the game and what players bring to a TEAM soon.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“The PK stuff is getting old”

Yeah your focus is on the Habs. Keep trolling…

• habsr4ever says:

For somebody who trolls our team as much as you do – its comical to make that post. Hang in there mister negativity – the sun may come up for you one of these days and change your outlook on life and our hockey club. I feel sorry for people with all that negative energy inside them.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Keep trolling and attacking posters who are fed up with your troll-baiting posts. Good for you.

• habsr4ever says:

Good one to reflect your issues. For the record we all can see who attacked who first. Did you not say ABOVE to my original post that I am delusional? nuff said. case closed. onwards and upwards mister negativity.

• sevenman says:

You’re bang on habs4ever. As a full-time reader (less than occasional poster) I can definitely confirm that DoDo bird_Habs Fan is by far the most negative poster on the site not to mention a lot of the self-righteous b.s. he spews on here daily.

_________________________________

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Being honest is not being negative…actually why am I bother saying this to a name-calling troll…forget it and go back to your Kool-aid.

• habsr4ever says:

Appreciate the support sevenman.
            Wanted to call a spade a spade and stick up for myself for my own posts and opinions and beliefs. I do honestly feel a bit sorry for him for being such a negative person towards our team and players and GM and coaches and the world/others in general. One shouldn’t be attacking others for their opinions in that kind of tone and not expect others to respond and push back. I do feel bad for others on here that had to see the “spat” because I like to think I am a positive person and am above this kind of stuff. No need for this on this site I respect so much. I apologize to all that had to see it and waste their time reading it.
            But I will stand by my comment of PK needs to simply play hockey and I didn’t agree what so EVER with his game 3 guaranteed win comment or his bad breathe comments with Sid. Why go there PK? You are too good of a hockey player to do this stuff. I will take Weber ANY day over PK. Shea is a pro and I am so happy he is a Hab. and oh yes – Bergy is a top 5 GM.
            I’m out.
            peace.

• habsr4ever says:

How many cups has Sid won?
        How many has PK won?
        How many cups did Messier win before he said that?

Thanks for coming out.
        Garbage post for telling the truth.

PK needs to make this about the TEAM and not draw attention to himself. His me me me and always wanting attention in the media needs to stop. He is too good of a player to do this kind of stuff.

• habcertain says:

Sounds like you have been in the dressing rooms of 2 NHL teams. If you are down 2 zip in the finals and going home, it is not too much of a controversy to say you will win in game 3,which they did.

• twilighthours says:

“The PK stuff is getting old.”

26. knob says:

Interesting read about Chris Simon and the long term effects of playing the role of enforcer.

in all thy sons command

• Captain aHab says:

I have a hard, hard time feeling sorry for someone who earned $15M and has now pissed it all away and then some. Especially when the NHLPA itself doesn’t seem to care much about guys getting bashed on the head to the point of CTE which, I have no doubt, impairs judgement. Maybe guys who made a ton of money (hello Don Cherry) off of players pounding one another should pay Simon for his court troubles. Guessing Cherry would likely tell him to rub some dirt on it. Or he would blame the ex-wife (wives?) for taking hard-earned money from a good ole Canadian boy.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

27. habsfan0 says:

Interesting article on Genie Bouchard by Jack Todd.

While waiting to play in the Wimbledon Final in 2014, Bouchard was interviewed by a reporter where she claimed that Wimbledon was more important than the Stanley Cup playoffs.
    For a Montrealer to make a statement like that is tantamount to blasphemy.
    Bouchard went on to lose the Wimbledon Final, and her game hasn’t been the same since.

The hockey gods can be quite unforgiving.

• Captain aHab says:

Here’s why I think she has been struggling:

Early in her career, she was playing in a pretty deep crouch and hitting balls back really flat and hard and she had a ton of success. But then she started getting injuries and she changed her style playing much more upright and she had far less success. The last couple of times I saw her play, she seemed to have gone back to her earlier style and she was having success and now, bang, injured again. I think that style may just be too hard on her body. Might have been fine against lesser competition but may be tougher to maintain against the world’s best. I guess time will tell.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

• docketrocket says:

Probably true. But I don’t think we can discount Todd’s references to her lawsuit, or not wonder why he failed to detail what the law suit is about and what led up to it. Her head has to be a mess.

There is also the question of whether she really was top of the seeding talented as opposed to just darn good.

• Captain aHab says:

In 2014, she was hitting the balls earlier, lower, flatter and harder than most players I had ever seen. It gave opponents very little time to respond. What killed her that year was her serve, which was weak to passable. With a decent serve, I’m pretty sure she would have won a major that year, at least. I absolutely do not doubt the talent. But she has been injured often and yes, focus might be an issue too.

—————-
          Drop da puck already!

• Captain aHab says:

By the way, I had missed your point about the lawsuit. What it’s about is clear – it’s about her fall and head injury in the dressing room last year at Flushing Meadows where she claims lights had been turned off and the floors left wet.

—————-
          Drop da puck already!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The problem with Bouchard is that she more of a celebrity than a tennis player.

• Mavid says:

breathtakingly beautiful..

Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

28. Mavid says:

124

Weed Wacker – and Flamethrower Grandma Smurf

29. Steven Finn says:

Eklund talking Chucky for Duchene again.
    E11 or what not….

I’m off to preorder my new Adidas Habs Duchene jersey while I hit the refresh button on Canadiens.com waiting for a official transaction release…..

30. Goldenchild says:

Rumour has it that PK will be chowing down on some 3 month expired sourkrout while washing it down with a spruce beer from my grandma’s fridge dating back to the 70’s before the game in order to stick it to
    #87 during the warm up tomorrow.

“That’ll learn ya” is PK’s “Jerkstore” equivalent to Crosby.

4-3 Preds win tomorrow, my friends.

Go PK!!!!

PK = Pretty Krisp breath …..slap the lad a Halls Mentholyptus!!!

31. montreal ace says:

When I first started watching and playing hockey, finishing first, in your division was a good thing. It sees that in todays world, it is a sure sign that your team is in fact crap. The Canadiens are being led by a slow GM, with an idiot owner. I have also come to realize, that finishing in the last playoff spot, is what it is all about, when it comes to winning in the playoffs. I just hope next year we have a coach, who gets us into the 16th spot, so we can peak at the right time

• Loop_G says:

It’s all of no use though. Everyone here says you cannot win a cup with a reliable defense man who is a perennial all-star and national team Alternate Captain and outstanding goal scorer. In fact, it is impossible to win a cup with someone named “PK” on your roster. Looking at the top prospects for the next 10 years, I don’t see anyone with that name so there really is no point.

• Captain aHab says:

“They don’t hang conference banners from the rafters here, they raise Stanley Cup banners” – Carey Price.

Pretty sure that if you asked a bunch of guys on the team, they would not be content with quick playoff exits.

—————-
      Drop da puck already!

32. ProHabs says:

I wish Peanut had never become GM of the Habs.

33. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

And again a score for the punkster! Personally i stayed away from the Pom Pom waving the last 6 weeks but know that it will be at least a year before mb gets canned and I can read this place again.

In the meantime let’s enjoy the gluten free bread and diminished circuses provided to the hand fans, who still think they totally scored by getting Andrew shaw for 5 more years! Yea habs! The cup is ours! Or maybe anybody else ‘a

34. montreal ace says:

Attendance has been pretty much stagnant since Bergy was hired. Molson is probably very concerned about this issue, especially after the trade of the immensely popular DD

35. RightNyder says:

What are the odds that the next thread will be a “P.K. vs. Sid bad breath cage match” epic from Disco Stu?

36. HabFab says:

Has it been decided yet where the Habs are picking in the draft or at least some idea?

37. RightNyder says:

“When so many fans think that failure is success, they’re easy to fool.”
    — The_Rocket_Returns

38. UKRAINIANhab says:

Why does Pittsburgh find Guentzal’s and the Habs find Jacob De La Rose and McCarrons…

They just aren’t as good. Sure playing with Crosby helps but I’m not sure “prospects” with little to zilch offence would even matter playing with a player like that.

Montreal has a few true prospects… Lehk, Sergachev, Hudon but other than that the cupboard is empty.

• Don Birnam says:

Guentzal>Gunsel.
      Corson>Corsi.
      Vegas>Proline.

• fastfreddy says:

ukreanianhab, I said that a few days ago and some one responded that it was better playing Flynn, Mitchell, King. Ott. Really? Where did that get us? Play the youth, let them develop with the team.

• Don Birnam says:

Ott was one the few enjoyable moments in Habs miserable playoffs.
        Chatting with Martin,Stroking Zuccarello’s flowing locks.
        Loved the guy.

• RightNyder says:

So to recap: you think an absolutely terrible player stroking another guy’s hair makes him valuable and/or entertaining; you think allowing talentless puds to punch each other in the face is the cure to what’s wrong with the game today; and the Canadiens should not have retired the number of the team’s best player in the last quarter-century, the player most responsible for the team’s last two Stanley Cup wins.

I think you’ve had a few too many conkies yourself there, amigo.

• kirkiswork says:

Wow! All Don said was Ott offered some enjoyable moments and you come up with that recap? Where did that come from ?

GoHabsGo

• RightNyder says:

It’s called busting someone’s chops.

Terrible as he was, I’ve said repeatedly I also found Steve Ott amusing. Sad that he was out there, but entertained by his presence.

• Cal says:

Guentzel averaging a PPG in both the AHL and the NHL. Habs are too busy looking for character, especially after their 1st round pick.
      It’s kind of funny how other teams manage to find and develop offense-oriented players while Montreal pretends that Lemaire is still coaching the team.

• RightNyder says:

Charles Hudon has four points in six NHL games, despite averaging about 11 minutes in his brief stints.

In those six games, he saw PP time once, for 73 seconds.

In the AHL, he has put up seasons of 28 and 27 goals; he scored a point per game in the (only) post-season he appeared in.

Yet, on our scoring challenged team, Lucas Lessio, Christian Thomas, Stefan Matteau, Dwight King, Steve Ott, Andreas Martinsen and more received longer kicks at the can. Bobby Farnham played as many games with the big club last year as Hudon.

MT trotted David Desharnais out there long enough to amass a 52-game streak without a point on the power play.

MT and MB just love them some puds. Waddya do?

39. habsfan4ever says:

Anyone notice that yesterday’s points did not get added to overall points in our HIO 2017 pool? Glitch or everyone take off for the weekend?

Les Canadiens sont la!

40. Paz says:

Winning is great. I’m old enough to have seen a few Cup wins. It’s a great feeling.

It’s the GM and coach’s job to win. Period. Absolutely.
    It’s the players’ jobs to do everything they can to help the team win. Again, it’s their job to win. It’s everything.

But as a fan, for me, winning is not everything.

I want to be entertained. I want to be proud of my team. I want my team to treat it’s players with respect, and to respect the fans as well.

I want my team to stand for something greater than winning.

That’s why, when Jean Beliveau and his wife Elise stood tall for PK, showed so much respect for him and love for the man, I KNEW that the PK doubters and haters were totally off base, that their positions that Subban was “a brand”, a business charade, were ignorant.

Jean Beliveau is the greatest Montreal Canadien of all time. Subban had Mr. Beliveau’s support, and that will always be good enough for me.

• punkster says:

Remember what I said 2 weeks ago:

“It’s simply that with the talent throughout the Preds team, PK doesn’t have to step up and take control as often as he did with the Habs. He doesn’t have to attempt high risk high reward plays as often. He shares the ice with a solid group of players from the goalie out. He’s a part of the top 4 of arguably best top 4 D in the league today.

But you can be sure that if the Preds falter at some points during this series PK is one of the guys they can count on to step up and attempt take control, just as he did so often in Montreal.”

He’s a goer, a doer, a catalyst, and a player recognized as such by the man who was the best the Habs ever had to offer…ever.

As DJT would say…SAD.

OKPK

41. nextguy says:

How have I never heard of 107.3 HD3? Is this a new thing? I drove home on Friday listening for the first time and didn’t even recognize Melnick’s voice. RIP AM radio.

42. chilli says:

@rightnyder
    “The Roy ‘quitting’ narrative is so lame..”

If a ‘lame’ quitting narrative means when a player says “this is my last game in Montreal”….and when that same player quits many years later on the Avalanche a few weeks before training camp…

Then yes, “the Roy quitting narrative is lame”.

He’s an ass. He was never going to play for the Habs again after that night because of ego.

• RightNyder says:

He may be an ass. And an egomaniac.

But again, just because a guy says “this is my last game in Montreal” in a fit of piquedness because his coach is a moron doesn’t mean it had to play out the way that it did. Bereft of leadership, and because pompous Ronnie thought that he was far, far more important than he actually was, the team quit on its two-time Conn Smythe Trophy winner. At least as much as he ‘quit’ on them.

And it turns out he was pretty much right about what was going down in Colorado as well.

EDIT: I’ll also take egomaniacal Conn Smythe (or Vezina or Norris) Trophy-calibre talent over puds who play the ‘right way’ all day long.

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

Roy quit a few weeks before training camp? You mean, he *retired* a few weeks before. That’s not the same thing at all.

As for saying, “This is my last game in Montreal” … it’s not a big deal. Players, especially proud and passionate players like Roy was, sometimes say stupid things like that. They let their emotions get the better of them.

A real GM would have made the best of a bad situation. He’d have gone to Roy and said, “I’m sorry I hired a rookie coach who doesn’t like you, but you need to make this work.” He’d have gone to Tremblay and said, “I know Patrick’s a hothead, but you need to make this work.” Then he’d lock them in a hotel room with a pizza and a case of beer and come back a day later.

But instead we had Reggie Houle, a rookie GM with no experience who would go down as one of the worst GMs in hockey history, who began his career by making one of the worst trades in NHL history. And, remarkably, twenty-five years later there are still plenty of Habs fans making excuses for it — which perhaps explains why the Canadiens have been so badly managed for a quarter-century. When so many fans think that failure is success, they’re easy to fool.

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

• Don Birnam says:

Roy quit.
      On his team and the fans.
      Should never have retired his Jersey.
      That was a travesty.

Bovine excrement.

If not for Roy we’d be approaching 40 years without a Cup.
        The only travesty was having Houle and Tremblay running the show.

Allowing that to happen was tantamount to the organization telling the fans they had given up themselves.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

A star player being run out of town by an egotistical mediocre coach…sounds familiar.

43. slapshot777 says:

MB needs to stop trying to emulate how other teams build their teams like Chicago because they first of all had a few really high draft picks that made it easy to build around. No matter what team gets high draft picks for several years if the GM has a half a brain at all he can assemble a decent team. He has after all those drafted players for seven years before UFA.

MB needs to stop hiring his buddies for crucial positions from players that were from the old school of the way teams were built. They need to get up to speed with younger scouts and assistant coaches.

The Cap makes building a team very difficult to do and stay competitive, just look at Edmonton they had four first overall picks since 2010 one 7th overall and one 3rd overall in the last six years. This year was the first time they really showed that they have a good team. Even with that they traded Yakupov and it will be interesting to see how the Cap will affect them going forward.

MB has made some decent picks but the problem is when we go looking for a good player those teams want those players and we end up trading them and starting from scratch again.

MB needs to develop these players with younger coaches who have new ideas and strategies in recent years. Lefebvre is too old school and really hasn’t done anything with the AHL club since he took over. He made the playoffs this year but that was on the last game of the season.

Bring in new blood and put stamp on the team that creates it’s own identity rather than trying to copy someone else. It just doesn’t work.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• RightNyder says:

I do think there are good hockey minds in the organization. And every pro sports league is full of copycats. I don’t think copying how champions do things is a terrible model.

The issue for me is the core keeps producing 100-point seasons when the goalie is healthy, but it’s never quite been good enough to get over the hump.

Bringing in new blood and creating a new identity will only happen if/when the team bottoms out. To me, it should have happened after the Year of Condon.

• on2ndthought says:

Where did this trope of “MB hires his buddies” come from? Mellanby, Dudley, Waite, Carriere, Timmins; all the important hockey management positions were filled by experienced pros who, until being hired, would have been rivals to MB (excepting Waite; bad MB!). He did hire JJD, an old acquaintance from 30 years back, but who was also a rival for decades. He became friends with MT after hiring him, and that may not be a luxury a GM should afford (obviously, though, a close working relationship is preferred).

• habcertain says:

His friendship with the coach did blind him to the obvious, also netted MT a few million dollars on a needlessly heavy extension.

• slapshot777 says:

Maybe “buddies ” was the wrong term “Too Loyal ” was probably a better way to phrase it.

Timmins was here before MB, but if the team is not progressing at a steady pace of at least moving forward then you have to look at places where improvements can be made.

Lefebvre in the AHL, how many people think he should come back this year? Is the players that he has under his coaching ready to make the jump to the NHL after several years?

We lost Karpan a scout to LV did we replace him with someone just as good or better? Did we replace him at all?

Should he cut bait with JJD. I am sure that we could bring in a better defensive coach. I just don’t see JJD doing anything with the defensemen to make them progress better. Just look at Beaulieu, would a Larry Robinson or Scott Stevens type defenseman make Beaulieu any better?

I like Dudley he has a good hockey IQ, he showed with teams in the past so I don’t think he was a problem. I think he just “Too Loyal” and in the end it costs the team.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

44. RightNyder says:

Ozmo’s 24-and-under mention below is something I’ve brought up before, using the 1993 Habs as an example.
    22: Brisebois, Haller, Dionne, DiPietro
    23: Desjardins, Leclair, Schneider, Red Light (woo!)
    24: LeBeau, Brunet, Odelein
    25: Damphousee, Keane
    26: Muller
    27: Roy, JJD
    28: Bellows, Leeman
    30+: Savard, Carbonneau
    Even the assorted puddage was in their early to mid-20s.

Next year’s crew:
    19: Sergachev (maybe)
    22: Lehkonen, McCarron (maybe)
    23: Galchenyuk
    24: Danault, Nesterov (maybe)
    25: Gallagher, Beaulieu
    26: Shaw, Davidson (maybe)
    27: Jerabek
    28: Byron
    29: Pacioretty
    30+: Price, Weber, Radulov, Petry, Emelin, Mitchell, Benn, Montoya
    35+: Plekanec, Markov
    Other younger maybes: De La Rose (22), Hudon (23), Lindgren (24), Scherbak (22).

Does anyone really seeing this ‘core’ group winning its first title? I dunno. Not with other, younger teams out there gaining ground quickly. It’s why, even though on the surface it’s pure folly to blow up a 103-point team, I’d consider moving any piece (Price, Weber, anyone…) for high-end young skill.

• Paz says:

Again the GM is behind the curve. While the league gets younger and quicker, his team got older and slower.

How could a GM with Weber and Markov leading his defence not agree or even understand that he’s in a “window” to win now?

He’s too smart for this job, I tell ya. Just too smart.

• Loop_G says:

Again, that is a false assumption. The habs are an average aged team in the NHL. If it takes ( and it does ) 3 or 4 years for a typical draft pick to reach the NHL, we will just start seeing his younger players entering the league this year and the next couple. If Hudon and Serge makes this team, they will be a below avg aged team, add DLR as a possibility and its lower still.

As for the comment regarding a window, a GM would have to be monumentally stupid to declare that his team has a one or two year window. It would make it much harder to keep and attract talent for one. Second, it sets him up to be fired, third, he clearly believes he can build a winning team in the future, every GM does.

• RightNyder says:

It’s not the average age of the team that’s a problem, as opposed to a majority of the key contributors being older.

Using the team of my youth, for example, on the 1979 team, Lafleur and Robinson were 27 in ’78-79, the last of a four-year run. Shutt was 26, Gainey 25. The ‘oldies’ were Dryden (31), Lapointe (30) and Lemaire and Savard (33). And they were at the end of their run.

The kids on the Islanders were coming up fast. Followed by the kids on the Oilers. In ’86, Roy and Lemieux were 20, Skrudland 22, Chelios 24, McPhee and Carbonneau 25, Naslund 26, Smith 27. Oldies were Gainey (32) and Robinson (34). Even Tremblay was a grizzled vet at 29.

It’s a young man’s game.

By the time Sergachev is ready to be a star, Markov will be gone. Gallagher and Lehkonen are solid, but are they going to be stars? Shaw is oft-concussed. McCarron is a maybe. Danault is a role player. Galchenyuk and Beaulieu are enigmas.

That’s our ‘core behind the core’ and it’s not good enough. Plus, Radulov may not be back, Pacioretty’s going to want a hefty raise (I wouldn’t give it to him), Plekanec is shot, Price hasn’t signed anything and Weber’s certainly not miraculously going to become a puck-handler.

Maybe MB feels exactly the same way some of us do – and wants to blow it up. But how do you sell that to your owner, when you’re racking up 100 points, selling out every night and pocketing playoff cash?

It’s just an oddly constructed team. The core hasn’t won anything and isn’t going to. The kids either aren’t good enough or are too far away.

We’re betwixt and between, good but not great. Kind of where we’ve been for a quarter-century.

Maybe that’s all we can expect. Maybe that makes enough fans happy.

45. Steven Finn says:

Good lord above.
    Now we’re comparing Subban for Weber to the Gretzky trade?
    HIO has officially jump the shark tank!

I have 1 team and 29 soon to be 30 rivals. The only thing that separates them is the level of disdain I have for them.
    In regards to the finals once the Habs are gone I could care less, hell don’t award the Cup to anyone, shut it down till next season. Since this is not the reality it usually comes down to who I don’t want to see win it the most. This year for me it was the senaturds. Now that they’re gone I don’t really care but someone got to win it and it might as well be Nashville if only so PK can bring the Cup to the hospital for the sick kids. I don’t really feel bad for millionaire hockey players that got their feelings hurt cause they were traded (nothing against Subby I like the guy but he make $9 million to play a game. He or any other hockey player gets no pity from me) But if it helps lift a bunch of sick kids sprits, who don’t deserve to go through what they do then that’s great for everyone.
    Plus the Pens are winning too many and some of my buddies are getting too smug. It may also put more pressure on Bumbling Bergy so that’s another plus.
    I don’t know what some of you younger PK fans would have done when Roy, a multiple Stanley Cup and Conn Symthe winner, was traded for some second hand jock straps. We would probably still be rebuilding the city.
    Boys and girls it’s your decision if you want to hold on to the anger forever or cheer for another team (For some of you this would be healthier. Why be a ‘fan” of a team if you hate them and want to see them fail) But as for feeling bad for some “poor” hockey player who got the “shaft”, don’t bother because let me tell you they don’t feel bad for you when they’re cashing those multi million dollar checks…..

• chilli says:

I don’t think anyone “feels bad’ for PK.

We just want him on our team because he’s a talented hockey player and for some, a great personality.

He is in a much better situation and he doesn’t miss the Habs one bit.
      He loved playing for the city. There is a BIG difference.

But I don’t think anyone feels bad for him.

If anything, most are happy for him.

• Steven Finn says:

Maybe you don’t feel bad for him but there were multiple media outlets and posters that were portraying PK as victim of unfair bias and circumstances. Heck, a few posters were saying Subban was traded because of racism.
        PK is happy good for him. PK is not happy, suck it up you’re a multi millionaire. It makes no difference to me. Same goes for Crosby, Price, Weber and Pacioretty.
        The main point is its no good to get too attached to individual players. They either end up letting you down or getting traded…….

• The_Rocket_Returns says:

The idea of cheering for a team without getting attached to individual players strikes me as … unsatisfying. Yeah, I know that’s how it works for a lot of sports, but it’s not what I want from being a fan. I want to love the team and care about the players, too.

… Koivu to Zednik to Kovalev …

• slapshot777 says:

+ 1

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Don Birnam says:

Being unsatisfied is a character building exercise.
            I am at peace with failure.
            It’s quite Liberating, actually.

• Steven Finn says:

Of course you are going to get attached. But hopefully not too attached. I learned this the hard way as a child with Roy. I never got too attached to a player after.
            Rocket, I don’t wont to offend you, but I seem to remember that you are a older fan. Certainly you must understand what I’m saying after seeing so many legends moved out before the end of their career?
            I don’t dislike PK at all, I think he’s a good guy and I wish him well but we can’t change the past, he’s part of another team so for me it’s time to move on…..

• RightNyder says:

The players are basically commodities to me at this advanced age.

But I’d be more inclined to agree with the ‘time to move on’ aspect of it if I believed in the management team behind the deal. In this case, if it brings MB even a millistep closer to being out the door, I’m happy to keep harping on it…

• chilli says:

The attachment is what brought many of us to becoming Habs fans to begin with – whether it was Guy, Jean, Maurice, Larry, Ken, Henri, Serge etc…
          but it wasn’t personal, it was what they were doing on the ice.
          Same with PK.

He happened to add another layer in terms of his love for this city (as a Torontonian) and his dedication to the sick kids.
          But without what he did on the ice, the other stuff wouldn’t have had the same impact because lots of players donate time and money to charity.
          (less publicly).

On the ice is where most of his fans judged him.
          He looked like he was having fun, he brought fans out of their seat, he put smiles on their faces.

Roy was an a-hole with a massive ego. His teammates didn’t even like him.
          But the fans sure loved what he did on the ice.
          And he quit on his own accord.

• RightNyder says:

The Roy ‘quitting’ narrative is so lame.

Any leadership whatsoever and that goes away quickly. Or at the very least, you let it settle down and flog him when you can get a bigger return.

He splashed the suits, and the insecure and incompetent nincompoops (you remember, the firm of Corey, Houle and Tremblay) who extinguished the torch compounded the situation and made it worse.

Gainey would have taken him for a walk and calmed things down. Savard as well. Pollock would have let him sit until he decided to come back, tail between his legs.

Roy didn’t quit. He had a fit of petulance. The organization then quit on him. And we know how that turned out.

• Steven Finn says:

Yes Patrick was indeed an A-hole. But he was A-hole who could win. And that to me is what mattered most….

• RightNyder says:

Had social media existed as it does today after the Roy trade, it would have been savage.

As always, I do get the love for P.K. from the young fans. He was their guy, like Guy Lafleur was my guy. I’ll always be a Habs fan to my core, but you can still love the organization and be pissed at management. When they said they wouldn’t trade Lafleur and let him languish for years, I was pissed.

How could Savard, his buddy, his former teammate, not just trade him? Don’t splash the suits.

When he went to the Rangers, I was thrilled. Not because I cared about the Rangers, it was just my guy was playing again. I didn’t care if they ever won a game, I just looked for him in the highlights and boxscores.

When he came back to the Forum and lit it up, I was giddy. It made the management look stupid and petty. (And the Habs still won the game, which I liked, too). Had he won another Cup, I would have been happy for him – and glad if it in any way made management look silly, because I was still pissed.

When they panicked and traded Roy (don’t splash the suits), I wasn’t emotionally invested in the player, so my concern was again the management. Did they make the right move? No. Was the return good enough? No. A petty asshat of a coach tried to show up an emotional player (sound familiar?) and the over-his-head buffoon in the GM’s chair (sound familiar?) flogged him. And when he won two more Cups, I was happy for him, and because it made management (that I had zero confidence in) look silly.

In both Roy and Subban’s case, it was the suits that were a bigger problem than the player. So expecting fans to just blindly accept it doesn’t mean they’re not ardent Montreal Canadiens fans. Just because they’re happily cheering on their favourite player in another uni doesn’t mean they’re not ardent Montreal Canadiens fans. It just means that after a quarter-century of mediocrity, they’re pissed.

And they should be. Sometimes the suits need to be splashed.

• Steven Finn says:

Hey Gazoo
        I definitely get the being pissed at management sentiment. I’m right there with them.
        I also relate to your Lefluer memories as to mine with Roy.
        It definitely “numbed” me to a certain extent regarding attachment to individual players. But I didn’t cheer for Roy as part of the Avalanche because I resented the part he asked for the trade even though that @&$! Tremblay was the cause. I do fondly remember being young and watching the legend The Flower who really was given the shaft by management, coming back scoring and getting a standing ovation.

Perhaps you’re on to something about younger fans and a quarter century of mediocrity. Having nothing but stories about the good old days, never really coming close to a Cup and then their favourite player in years is traded away. Not much for them to be happy about.
        Hell, outside of firing Therrien their hasn’t been much for any of us to be happy about…….

• RightNyder says:

I didn’t actively cheer for Roy or the Avs, I was just pleased when they did win because it highlighted the incompetence of the dunces in charge in Montreal.

As long as they were there, I believed the team wasn’t winning a thing, so anything that sped up the process of them hitting the road I enjoyed.

As for resentment, again, any type of leadership above Roy and it doesn’t play out so horribly. He was an egomaniac, for sure. But at least he had reason to be one, as opposed to the festering willnot that was Tremblay the coach.

• Steven Finn says:

Agreed.
            As I replied to Chilli, give me the A-hole that wins any day. (That may have came out wrong…..)

As for Tremblay, the only compliment I could ever give Therrien was “well at least he’s not Tremblay”…..

• RightNyder says:

Coaches with the initials ‘MT’ need not be considered ever again in Montreal…

46. CowanS says:

Add Crosby to Subban’s list of admirers.
    +4 for MB.

47. boonie says:

@ian – our glorious past (pre-80s) is how the pens and preds now play. We need to tap into our (own) inner hab.