Mike Boone the guest on new HIO show

Mike Boone, an HIO favourite with his popular live blog for every Canadiens game, is the guest on the latest episode of the Hockey Inside/Out show, which is now live.

Boone joins Gazette sports editor Stu Cowan and columnist Dave Stubbs for a look back at the surprising season that was and a look ahead to the postseason as the Habs begin their quest for a 25th Stanley Cup.

You can watch the show by going to hockeyinsideout.com/show or by clicking on the H Show link on the right-hand side of the HIO page.

Among the topics discussed and questions answered during the show are:

Carey Price won the Molson Cup, but who is the real MVP on the Canadiens this season?

Will Peter Budaj make an appearance in goal during the playoffs?

Should Brendan Gallagher win the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s rookie of the year?

Which rookie will be the better player five years from now: Gallagher or Alex Galchenyuk?

Should P.K. Subban win the Norris Trophy as the top defenceman?

Does Andrei Markov have enough gas left in his tank for the playoffs?

Who was the best forward on the Canadiens this season?

Did GM Marc Bergevin do enough at the NHL trade deadline?

What was Bergevin’s best move this season?

Boone will continue with his live blog during every Habs playoff game, starting Thursday night when the puck drops for Game 1 of Canadiens vs. Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Below is video from the Canadiens’ practice Wednesday in Brossard.

(Photo courtesy of HIO show producer Sterling Agres)

1. Et le but says:

Just checking in to say hi commentariat!
    Feel like a kid trapped inside doing his homework or chores while he can hear his friends outside having fun (you guys) as I feverishly knock off my to do’s ahead of a trip tomorrow and the start time of Game 1 tonight.
    Feel really good about this series…think the Sens are the perfect team to help us bring, fine tune and elevate our speed and skill game as we begin the grind of what I hope is a deep playoff run.

2. Storman says:

PJ Stocks Oops I crapped my pants. or Depends or whatever you call them, just might come in handy tonight, if you do not want to miss a minute of the game

3. Habhopeful says:

I’m not a scalper is basically what it comes down to so no need for me to inflate the prices.

4. Habs_Norway says:

Im so excited
    and I just cant hide it
    I’m about to loose control and I think i like it
    oooooyeah
    go Habs go!

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

5. Habhopeful says:

No catch at all, just trying to get them off my hands, the tickets are hard copies and side by side seats. Section 116. I live in Montreal but am in the west island until 4pm.

6. ZepFan2 says:

Okay, what’s the rules re:playoff beards. Is trimming allowed?

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

7. Say Ash says:

Everybody got their pregame meal planned? I’ve settled on this thing:

Best $5 you’ll ever spend

Who’s with me?

8. Habhopeful says:

If anyone is looking for red tickets for tonights game @ COST, let me know.

They are in the reds corner 116 where Habs shoot twice!

respond here and well figure out a way to get in touch.

9. Sportfan says:

So leafs lost and showed they are really weak and their crappy aggressive style got beaton by the Bruins.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• SmartDog says:

Their problem is they are so used to golf at this time of year… where the lowest score wins!

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

10. Sportfan says:

3-2 Habs win tonight Pk and Erik have a point White and Neil jaw a bit but nothing more! Also I’m watching it on RDS not CBC haha.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Shackles says:

As a resident of the nation’s capital, I can appreciate the skillset of a few of the Sens players and coaching staff. I can even understand cheering for the home team (not gonna happen though). But by God, the way they go on about characters like Phillips and Neil….you’d figure it was the second coming of Walt Puddubny and Phil Sykes. How these local yokels can even begin to compare the character and skillset of a meatball like Neil to Prust is just freakin’ ridiculous.

12. Storman says:

Beach weather, Habs Playoff action, I guess Kate Upton serving me shots of Jameson while I BBQ is out of the question..ok how about Sofia Vergara

13. Dr.Rex says:

Let’s all stick together through this playoff run. There will be up’s and down’s but united as HIO fan base we can defeat the negative thoughts.

Let’s all virtually hold hands in a circle.

14. habsonly says:

Enjoy the game tonight everyone, should be a dandy.
    Will be watching the game on CBC at the pinewood in Espanola, may have to have a few brews to settle my nerves.
    GO HABS GO!!

• punkster says:

Awesome country…family has had a camp in Killarney Park for over 50 years…I’ll be heading that way in a couple of weeks to get it ready for summer…enjoy!

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Storman says:

Spent a a lot of time working and summering in North Bay – Sudbury- Elliot lake , Espanola, Killarney Park, The Soo -Thunder bay etc.. great times, great area

An interesting read regarding Cherry and his continued insistence on women being forbid from dressing rooms.

even lesbians on occasion… oh nevermind.

17. Byron Clark says:

Beautiful day in VT! Good luck to the boys tonight. Hope the veterans elevate their game, the rookies keep rolling, defense is tight and Price is on. Heading up to Montreal tomorrow for the game, bar scene, I usually go to Hurley’s but could use some other suggestions. GO HABS GO. Man the leafs looked bad!!!

I suspect in light of the recent news regarding a certain NBA player, they may have felt this crossed the line.

Any work that needs to be done today… not gonna happen.

20. icedogs22 says:

Showing my Habs love way down here in Atlanta! Can’t wait for tonight’s game…

Only four more hours until it’s only 1 hour that I have to work before waiting for the game to start in another two hours!

21. habs-fan-84 says:

Not sure what it’s like in Montreal today, but it’s a beautiful spring day here in the GTA – playoff weather!!

Can hardly wait for tonight!

Unbelievable, there are hab fans wearing all sorts of support everywhere I go here in Ontario. Kingston, Belleville, Trenton. I think it is time to invest in a HAB”S pub on the 401.!!!
    HUGE game screen, etc.
    Anyone interested???

23. SteverenO says:

Does Size matter?

Ottawa defence men – MOntreal Defencemen

Methot: 6’3″ 231 lbs Subban 6’0″ – 216 lbs
    Cowen; 6’5″ 230 lbs Tinordi – 6’6″ – 205 lbs
    Gryba: 6′ 4″ 222 lbs Gorges 6′ 1″ – 203 lbs
    Phillips: 6′ 3″- 221 lbs Markov 6′ 0″ — 204 lbs
    Gonchar 6′ 2″- 206 lbs Diaz; 5′ 11″ – 197lbs
    Wiercioch 6’5″ 205 lbs Bouillon 5’8″ – 197 lbs
    Benoit: 5′ 11″ 191 lbs
    Karlsson: 6′ 0″ 175 lbs

I really don’t know which defenseman will be left out for the Senators,
    Daily Faceoff shows Benoit and Wiercioch as the scratches, and I hope they are correct. These two were their most prodcutive defensemen on what was a very weak PP this year. Wiercioch led their team in plus minus.

Their “weak link” seems to be Chris Phillips, but he was injured in teh final game versus the Bruins. if he’s healthy he should play.. he wears an “A” on his sweater.

If they play Phillips and Gryba in place of Wiercioch and Benoit their strategy is all defense trying to shut us down. Not playing their better offensive defenseman , on a team that doesn’t score much “should” favor our chances.
    Interesting stat is that with Karlsson on the ice their PP scored only 5 goals in 76 minutes: with Wiercioch they scored 14 PPGs in 97 minutes. With Benoit, 7 PPGs in 53 minutes.

Wiercioch: 14PPGs – 97 minutes – avg: 6.9 mins TOI per ppg
    Benoit: 7 PPgs – 53 minutes – avg; 7.5 mins TOI per ppg
    Gonchar:14 PPgs 167 minutes: – avg 11.92 mins TOI per ppg
    Phillips: 6 PPGs – 73 minutes – avg 12.1 mins TOI per ppg
    Karlsson: 5 PPGs – 76 minutes. avg: 15.3 mins TOI per ppg

Methot: 2 PPgs in 8 minutes -0- avg 4.0 mins TOI per ppg

You wonder why they wouldn’t have given Methot a few more chances. He’s a plus 2 on the season with 2 goals, 9 assists, for 11 points, with almost no time at all on the PP.

It’s not as of there powerplay was doing so great with the other guys.

I guess to one of the criteria to become a coach in the NHl is that you must completely ignore the available data that indicates which players have been most productive, and distribute the PP time based on “gut” feelings instead.

You would think that they could afford an assistant to do some basic number crunching?

Gonchar playing 167 minute with the man advantage and his team scoring only 14 goals is ludicrous. I hope that he plays the point in the powerplay against us.

On the other hand I hope they keep him OFF the penalty kill. Ottawa had only 5 goals allowed in 100 minutes when Gonchar is on the PK unit.

regards,

Steve O.

24. HFX-HabFan says:

Best playoff beard on this team will be Erik Cole…oh wait

Prust?

25. Luke says:

Looking at the still shot at the start of the paused practice video posted here, I have to wonder what exactly the White team is practicing?

It sure isn’t defensive zone coverage. Brutal.

Is it too late to fire Therrien?

26. Chester says:

Man does The Booner ever look grumpy.

Only because of the arrogance in Toronto, calling themselves the center of the universe of hockey etc., I am tickled pink that Boston spanked their butts last night. I am hoping for them to be swept right out into lake Ontario! We will get the Bruins in the second round, and we can take them.!

• habsfan0 says:

Be careful what you wish for,Ian.
      I’d rather play the Laffs in the second round.

• Loonie says:

So you’re banking on the Rangers knocking off the Caps Ian?

• Ian Cobb says:

Pen’s will get Caps or Rangers me thinks.

• habsfan0 says:

Seeing that Pittsburgh finished 1st and Washington 3rd, it’s impossible for them to meet in the second round,Ian.

• Timo says:

I guess the seeding is not based on points throughout all rounds of playoffs up until the finals?

• habsfan0 says:

The seeding is based on the order of finish within the conference.
            I’m not sure what happens in the Stanley Cup Final,though.
            Does the team with the highest number of points get home ice advantage if, let’s say, both number 1 seeds make it to the Final?
            If Number 2 Habs play Number 1 Blackhawks, does that mean Chicago gets home ice advantage?

Or do the conferences simply rotate each year as to who is awarded home ice in the Final?

• Timo says:

Gotta be points. Guess tis the whole reason for winning presidents trophy – home ice advantage all the way.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ian …CBC http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categories/sports/hockey/montreal-canadiens-at-100/too-many-men-send-habs-to-cup-final.html

…something to make a tear come to Your eye :)

…Great moments in Montreal Canadiens history; video clips

…including Cherry’s too many men, and the first b&w tv broadcast which We watched when young boys, Rockets 500th, among others

• habsfan0 says:

Chris, it was 46 years ago today that the Leafs knocked off our Habs in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Shortly after the game, I was so upset with the Laffs that I placed a curse on them: “May the Toronto Maple Leafs NEVER win another Stanley Cup for the rest of this century!”

The century is long over,but the curse is STILL going strong!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that was the year of Expo 67

…THE most perfect year in Montreal history …We thought Montreal would become the literal centre of the universe …what a summer

…but then came along doze f’n Weeds and Rene Levesque :(

……Life sure throws Us a wrench when having fun, doesn’t it Phil ? :)

• habsfan0 says:

Expect the unexpected is a good motto to live by.
            That Laff victory in 1967 ruined my summer, and it basically halted what would have been another string of 5 consecutive Stanley Cups by the Habs.

• in habs we trust says:

Habs fan0 I was 12 watched with my dad a leaf fan.When I ran to my room I told my dad they would never win again.Who knew!

“R” Habs

• Ian Cobb says:

Chris! I remember very well.!!

• habsonly says:

I remember as well, was harassed by Laff fans at school, 11 cups later I guess we are the ones laughin at the Laffs.

• Blondemon says:

10 Cups later 68. 69, 71, 73, 76-79, 86, 93, 13 (oh you’re right, 11!)

***Drive for 25***

• HABSIN09 says:

Not sure we would get the Leafs or the Bruins. Only way we play the Bruins is if NY Rangers, (Sens of course), NY Islanders and Leafs lose as teams will be reseeded based on reg season standings.

• The Jackal says:

Hear hear!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

28. habsfan0 says:

3 games in 4 nights for Habs and Senators.
    Not much time to make any adjustments,particularly if there are injuries.
    All I hope is that none of the games involving the Habs goes to sudden death OT.

29. Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, I said below that Lucic would not be welcome in the Habs top 9 and got lashed at…

Gionta, Ryder, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and Bourque.. and Prust on the 4rth..

I dunno, I’ve always thought the big slow ape was VERY, VERY, VERY over rated.

405 GP 97 goals…
    Rene Bourque 497 GP 133 goals…

• Luke says:

Lucic would be riding shotgun on the Habs top line.

He’s a 30goal Power forward. He’s big, mean and can score. He plays tough, hurt and nasty.
      He’s had a poor season, and is definitely a poor skater, but he’s still the alpha-power forward in the league.

Your dislike for him has you downgrading him.

He is Bourque combined with Prust, +30lbs and mean streak.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, you love him… I remember a player with a below average shot, well below average speed, poor decision maker…

On the positive side he is physical.. but a very poor playoff performer (remember his feed to Pleks?)

Ideal power forwards are Morrow, Ladd, Iggy, Carter, Toews, Gatzlaf, Perry, Ovi, and on and on.. Lucic is an after thought.. Martin Lapointe.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Lucic had 30 goals once. His scoring has declined both years since then.

I could name many better power forwards (depending on how you choose to define it).

For starters, MaxPac has outscored him comfortably the last two seasons.

• SteverenO says:

not much difference there, Macdougall, You have to look at ice time;
      Bourque 133 goals came with 8,319 minutes TOI, Lucic 97 goals with with 6.194 minutes TOI.

Bourque average one Goal per 62.5 mins
      Lucic averaging one Goal per 63.8 minutes.

I didn’t break down ice time by even strength and PP, but Bourque has 23 PP goalsto Lucic’s 15.

I do agree however that his “skill” level is over rated, but his physicalpresence on the ice adds some intangibles that most players cannot claim, including Bourque.

As much as I hate the guy as a Bruin, I suppose I would be a fan if he played on the Habs.

regards,

Steve O.

• habsonly says:

When you watch Lucid live you can really see his inabilty to skate,
      looks like a poor skater.

• neumann103 says:

To me the main drawback with Lucic is the $6M cap hit.

I think he has been oversold a bit. Yes he is talented enough to score 25-30 goals if being set up by Bergeron or Krejci. But over his career is really more of a 20 goal scorer than a 30 goal scorer and if he can’t keep up with the top 6 and has to drop down his production will suffer.

He is worth a premium because he kills multiple birds with one roster spot. You have a guy who can score, hit, wreak havoc in front of the net and fight. Just not sure that $6M a year is a reasonable premium.

“Et le but!”

• Blondemon says:

I agree with you. Cam Neely 2.0, yeah right!

He’s lousy and I maintain that his knee on Emelin should be a penalty and a suspension.

***Drive for 25***

30. J.J. of Turku says:

I want similar coffee mug! How, where and how much?

With the mug, I mean those cups… :D

Bazinga!

Habs Flag installed on Truck? – Check
    Habs hat and shirt on for work? – Check
    Multiple employees at work also in Habs gear? – Check
    Molson Ex for lunch? – Will soon be a Check

Must be game day folks, Day 1 of our march for what has recently been the elusive Lord Stanley.

Enjoy this day everyone!!!!

GO HABS GO!