Microsummit this week, details to come

It’ll be too small to even call a mini-summit, but stay tuned to Habs Inside/Out Monday for complete details on a little event that’s in the works for this coming Thursday evening, July 15, in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire.

Very informal, but a chance for Habs fans and HIO visitors to gather in 30C temperatures of July and talk about, what else, the Canadiens.

1. likehoy says:

that was pretty bad, but there was no red card and no shame…so the drama level isn’t high enough.

2. SmartDog says:

What? A brutal kick in the heart doesn’t make the scale?

Seems like Spain is trying to score at least.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

3. likehoy says:

could there be a more boring world cup final? oh ya the 2006 one…but at least zidane threw in the head butt to liven things up

I guess it’s a good article if your believe in rationalization and rose coloured glasses. Eller has to become a long-term, solid top six player in order to justify this trade (not saying he won’t). Everyone on this site seems to be in love with Boyd even though he has been moved three times in four months. He’s young so that certainly is a consideration. I still don’t see why we couldn’t have signed him for nothing as well as bringing back Moore.

5. hasboon says:

cool story bro

6. c.robillard says:

your avatar is hilarious hasboon.

7. likehoy says:

i guess you forgot about zidane’s headbutt ;)

8. hasboon says:

they ripping eklund LOL

9. hasboon says:

double post delete

10. twocents says:

SmartDog,

We couldn’t stand in his way. That’s part of the game. Detroit lost Babcock from their system, to Anaheim, before he returned to coach them. New Jersey lost Robinson to L.A. before he returned. That’s the way it goes.

Let a young coach get in his growing pains in some other organization. This won’t be his one and only NHL job. Coaches do not last very long in a job in the NHL. Let him put in 3 years somewhere else and then come here a seasoned pro coach.

You don’t think an ex-McGill man has that in mind anyway? He already showed his interest in coaching the Habs by taking the Hamilton job. You really think that desire will just evaporate? Come on! You like talking psychology on here at times. You think an achiever like him is not going to be made even more hungry by having to be diverted from the path he was on?

By the time he gets here, Martin’s disciplined approach and the new culture of the team, no bullshit play hockey, will be well established. Boucher will be stepping into a situation primed to succeed under the NHL’s brightest lights.

That’s what I want.

11. alestar says:

Good article, thanks for sharing.

XXIV…and counting

12. G-Man says:

TK was the epitome of hard work and stood up even if he wouldn’t win the fight. Way more heart than many playing in the NHL.

13. G-Man says:

Couldn’t keep him after Martin went to the ECF. No playoffs might have been another story, but, in the end, his system came close to working. No coach can make up for secondary scoring disappearing. The worse part was that there wasn’t anyone on the AHL Bulldogs that could have helped out.

As for Boucher, he’s still a big question mark. If his stars don’t buy into his program in sunny Tampa where hockey players golf all year long, he may be available again soon. I really doubt that, but to call him the Habs biggest loss….there was a certain trade done that’ll bite this team repeatedly this upcoming season.

14. Jbird says:

ZING!  Good one!

15. Jbird says:

Even if Yzerman keeps him around for a long time, thats not really that long.  5 years would be a very long time. And to the earlier point about how to keep him in MTL:  Boucher wanted a HC job.  If the MTL AC job was offered or not is fairly irrelevant – and not very news worthy – cause he was getting HC offers and obviously wanted to be a HC.

So that leaves the only other option of keeping him in MTL – firing (or “promoting”) JM.  That would have been insane with the current situation.   Insane.

16. CanadienBoy says:

Jm supporters i,m not but Martin did coach the teams very well in the post  just ask Crosby ands Ovie..

17. PeterStone says:

i have to totally agree with this guy.  We got younger with the Halak trade … I liked Boyd when he played for the Flames .. was pretty highly touted, so, I think the bottom 6 is a little better ..

Would I like to see a trade or 2 to improve the top 6 and our D .. definitely , but I dont see it happening.  Though, if we could trade AK … and add Sutton ( or someone with a little Size and Toughness on the point ) as a F/A on Dee , I would feel a little better

18. Bill J says:

I hope you are right, but I think Yzerman will implant his claws as deeply as he can into Boucher to make sure he sticks around.

19. Rugger says:

I thought he was offered AC?  But still a promise of a HC position in the future or a HC position now is a tough one to beat.  I do not think though that we have seen the last of Boucher in the Habs org.

20. JIMVINNY says:

Aside from offering him an asst. position with the understanding the HC position would be his soon, I don’t know either.

21. Rugger says:

I agree on Boucher being a big, maybe biggest loss, but I’m not sure how we could have kept him considering JM’s first year success.  Many do not give him credit, but the results were good so he was not going to be let go.

22. Bill J says:

Let’s not forget the fact that Boucher is a Babcock clone, Yzerman knows what Babcock can do, and thus as he has openly admitted has paid close attention to Boucher’s career.

The moment Tampa wanted Boucher, I instantly knew Yzerman was going to be a good GM in the NHL.

And also realised the Habs had lost Boucher, and this was before me knowing about Robinson.

Now knowing Robinson was actually a possibility, and could have helped Boucher in his early NHL years.

ARRRRGH!

23. showey47 says:

I’m sure i heard this on nhlxm204 but i believe boucher’s contract is a 4 year deal with his option to leave after 3. Don’t quote me on it though. But if i heard it right,isn’t that an odd option to have in your contract? Would be great though considering JM’s contract ends in 3 years.

24. ed lopaz says:

Robinson would have been a great fit here.

Its kind of scary when you think of it.

How could the Habs not move on this – OK – way worse than that……..

Robinson’s call were never even returned in the end.

have to run – have a nice evening everyone.

25. SmartDog says:

Thanks for that.  It’s a good article and compelling.

I still say the biggest loss this year is Boucher.  I’d like to see an article that can convince me otherwise.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

26. Bill J says:

I highly doubt Boucher would have snubbed his nose at Robinson, and IF that story was EVER to come out.

I would spit on the ground that Boucher walks on.

BUT - Again, I HIGHLY doubt Boucher would have snubbed his nose at Robinson. ;)

27. showey47 says:

Another thing is boucher wanted to bring his own coaching staff,which was the reason i believe he turned down the columbus job. So regardless if boucher was our coach or not,we still would not have had robinson. My first choice to coach our defence has always been robinson,with eric desjardins as my second choice.

28. ed lopaz says:

2 problems with your theory – which is usually true, that coaches get fired after 3 or 4 years.

1) Boucher (Like PK) is a huge exception to the normal rules that apply to hockey – Boucher combines the

best of the “communicator” coaches, with the best of the “tactical” coaches – he is very young, and is not the

type of coach a normal Gm would fire

2) which brings me the GM – young, intelligent, capable, rational, well connected, well respected,  Yzerman is very unlikely to be fired himself.

I say both the coach and the Gm are in place for at least 5 years. Its an impressive combination in tampa.

I’m a big fan of both Yzerman and Boucher.

29. Bill J says:

was ’86 btw

and all 3 had the benefit of arguably the hottest goalies in the playoffs in those years.

2 of which, many of us remember seeing ourselves… ;)

BTW, what does that say about the “almost-was” that is JM ? with arguably the hottest goalie in these past playoffs (without counting: Leighton le magnifique)

30. JIMVINNY says:

He was a punching bag.  Great guy, but he has no place on this team.

31. derfab says:

There may be a bone to pick with the ‘trapist’ approach (employed by most of the league), but I don’t think coaching has ever really been an issue with this organization. As a matter of fact, I’d argue that three of the worst coaches in recent Habs’ history have each won cups (’71, ’85, ’93).

32. Bill J says:

Boucher alone leaving made me angry, but THEN knowing we could have had Robinson, I was LIVID about losing Boucher then.

Because despite his rookie status as Head Coach, he would have had Robinson a CUP winner as both a Hab player & a Devils Head Coach.

It was a perfect situation as Robinson did not want to return to HEAD coach position.

- I will likely offer counter “positive” points on many other managerial decisions made by this team.

But Boucher/Robinson, the fact that is NOT what the Habs have next season.  Frankly speaking makes me sick!

And it COULD have happened, Gainey “stepping down” allowed for this move to happen.

This is NOT speculation.

33. ed lopaz says:

I’m writing it down so that I don’t forget. :-)

34. Bugs says:

They didn’t like Leo mentioning that our future coach was there to practice with an expansion team afore takin our reins, tell you that fer nuthin.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

35. showey47 says:

At first i was pissed that boucher went to tampa. Then when i actually thought about it for a couple of days it didn’t bother me as much. Head coaches are historically fired every 3 or 4 years,very few go any longer other then a few exceptions like ruff,babcock and trotz. I wouldn’t be surprised to see bouchers name come up once martin’s contract expires. The way the robinson situation was handled bothered me alot more.

36. Bill J says:

Remember this moment, because when I do disagree with you.  You will not lump me in that category.

Boucher/Robinson in MTL IMO would have = Success!

Much more then Martin.