Microsummit this week, details to come

It’ll be too small to even call a mini-summit, but stay tuned to Habs Inside/Out Monday for complete details on a little event that’s in the works for this coming Thursday evening, July 15, in Montreal-suburban Pointe-Claire.

Very informal, but a chance for Habs fans and HIO visitors to gather in 30C temperatures of July and talk about, what else, the Canadiens.

1. ed lopaz says:

same. exactly. know why? because that’s what should have been done!!

I’ve been following Boucher since his days in Drummondville – the guy is more than a coach.

When guys like PK and O’byrne and Eller and, and, and  – whoever – makes a mistake, there’s a need

for a guy like Boucher to calm them down, rebuild their confidence, develop them at the NHL level.

also, its not mentioned here alot, but Gomez and Gionta (especially Gomez) are huge Robinson fans.

how clever it would have been to get someone like Robinson involved.

its truly remarkable, almost impossible to believe, that NONE OF THIS WAS DONE.

And when I bring it up here, I’m shot down by the Status Quo Junkies, who swallow everything management

offers up as the Gospel Truth.

( I am NOT TONY, I swear)

2. Bill J says:

LOL

I was PISSED off when GB was allowed to talk to other teams.

People complain about management, but on THIS one, I agree…. Management royally f-ed this up.

JM should have been promoted to Assist-GM

and Boucher to Head Coach, bring in Robinson to Assist, and work with our young D.

Boucher could focus his energy on the existing “fixer-uppers” on the team.

ARGH!

3. showey47 says:

I agree,no chance it will happen. To me i’d rather see him play at least 2 years of ncaa and play in 2 wjc’s then spend at least a year in hamilton.

4. likehoy says:

i hope boyd turns out to be TK but better. Man i miss TK. would love to have him back on the team any day.

5. camel_larry says:

*salivate*

Man, him with Muller as the asst. would be phenomenal.

6. likehoy says:

i agree howard webb is one of the best, his experience in the EPL lets him work with primadonnas weekly so he knows his ship.

but he did mess up the sneijder free kick, and the de jong yellow could have been a red (viewed by some). I think at that point in the game (around the 25th-30th minute) it’s just tough to give a straight red to anybody…especially in a world cup final. the pressure is IMMENSE.

some blame on the free kick has to be directed to the linesman, he should have saw the deflection at the very least.

7. likehoy says:

it would have been more dramatic! plus i’m a huge iker casillas fan…would love to watch him stop some shots!

that one he stopped against paraguay was incredible, no rebound.

8. sholi2000.com says:

We spent the weekend in Wpg watching AA ball, and JT raising the Cup!

Going to watch the Twins in August.

Besides that, pretty quiet summer.

They Call Me Shane

9. ed lopaz says:

I could care less what the Habs would have looked like by firing JM.

Guy Boucher as Head Coach with Larry Robinson as his Assistant ?

be carefull, Bill. when your posts start sounding like mine, its usually a sign that there’s trouble ahead. :-)

I could not agree more.

10. B says:

10 weeks and 3 days until the first pre-season game vs Boston (but who’s counting :)

11. JIMVINNY says:

Except for the free kick that went off the Spanish wall, that should have resulted in a dutch corner, but instead became a goal kick which ended in the game winning goal.  That was the big one, but the ridiculous number of dives he fell for were BS too.  So yeah, he was crap.

12. HabFab says:

I won’t say anything but you will have to talk to your ‘bro’.

On another issue, what are the Tampa fans telling Leo about their thoughts on the arrival of Boucher?

13. Bugs says:

You mean the last 10 mins of Slovakia – Italy, yes?

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Brotha to the Man with the Plan, Product-runnin Lead Houndogg with the Voodoo Flannel Posse, and Pimp Extraordinaire of Habsbros Mama Jones Snow Cones, muthafugga: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

14. Bugs says:

No, it was NOT crap.

It was great officiating. No guff accepted.

He missed the Iniesta dive but everything else was on the money.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

15. Bill J says:

Uh-Oh Cat

we agree again.

I could care less what the Habs would have looked like by firing JM.

Guy Boucher as Head Coach with Larry Robinson as his Assistant ?

Man that woulda been nice.

Sorry to all JM supporters.

16. Bugs says:

Yesterday’s game was NOT great. Yesterday’s game was BY FAR the most dispassionate of the WHOLE competition. Mr.Ian, please…

Brazil – Holland was the best game of the tournament, followed by ze Germans dismantling of England and Argentina.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

17. Bill J says:

Just because he’s tall, doesn’t mean he will start purse snatching!

Jeez! You got something against our BIG D-Men ? lol

:P

18. JIMVINNY says:

I hope you’re not talking about that soccer game today.  Because that was some crap reffing.

19. HabFanSince72 says:

Howard Webb did hos best. He could easily have sent off De Jong, Van Pummel and Robben.

The Dutch disgraced themselves with one of the dirtiest displays ever seen in a world cup final.

20. Bugs says:

I love Howard Webb.

Doesn’t take no guff from nobody.

Great officiating.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

21. Bugs says:

Really?

I thought fersure he’d set his sights low, low, low, and say all the wrong things.

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

22. Bugs says:

My granpa and cousin have left me messages goin “Viva!”

And of course, in true family spirit, I have replied “Somos campeones!” even though I never thought they’d get past ze Germans, nevermind those buxom blondies. But they don’t know that…

Our little secret, aye?

Viva!

Keepin it real, I be chillin as

23. SeriousFan09 says:

That would be great, but I would say Tinordi is a minimum two-year wait. He seems to have the body type and skill set to get it going, but I suspect at least a year of NCAA hockey, plus he’ll likely be putting in an AHL season. I think the Habs are going to try and go slower with the kids from now on.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. The Cat says:

I always like to see the youth get a push. I cant help but think though that Robinson would’ve been great for the young D (Subban, Tinordi, Weber and Obyrne), just knowing you have someone on the bench that has your back would do wonders.

25. JIMVINNY says:

I would like to see that.  Only thing that scares me is that he might pull an o’byrne on us.

26. showey47 says:

No,but his son apparently refs in the ahl,which scares me a little.

27. The Cat says:

Yes that was a good one too.

28. The Cat says:

Maybe the world juniors would be a good place to try it out first.

29. Chuck says:

Better yet: Have FIFA take Chris Lee off our hands!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

30. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Was Kerry Fraser’s long-lost, English twin officiating that match?

31. SlovakHab says:

For me: Slovakia – Italy 3-2.

32. dh says:

Spain was probably the better team but the refs were horrible.  That play where the dutch guy was in the box and the defender wrapped him up should have been a penalty shot.

And it looked offside when they scored.  The last yellow against the Netherlands, the replay showed that the Spanish player didn’t even touch him.  Too much diving.  And the refs were biting on too many of them.

Yesterday’s game was better to watch.

33. TripleX says:

Yeah they are awesome. This dude has the other major sports as well if you are interested.

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

34. Pucker Up says:

The Greeks had it figured out around 300 B.C., and had surmised it to be true for about another 300 years previous.

35. Rugger says:

What might make Soccer more entertaining is allow players to keep hacking away at the ball for 4-5 seconds after the golaie makes a save like in hockey when Chris Lee is reffing.

36. Pucker Up says:

Big deal! With eight arms, you’re bound to be always pointing at the winner!

The winning team’s soccer federation will receive about $31 million in prize money from FIFA.
    The Spanish Football Association has promised to give each of its 23
    players a bonus of 600,000 euros (or about $758,000 in U.S. dollars)

FIFA will pay the final’s losing organization around $2.4 million. It
    gave out prize money to the tune of $7.5 million for a team getting out
    of group play, $9 million for reaching the quarterfinals and $18
    million for reaching the semifinals. Losing in the semifinals was worth
    $20 million.

38. Pucker Up says:

I’ll be your avatar’s beast of burden anytime!

39. SeriousFan09 says:

I think that would just have us getting our butts kicked. Theoretically we could assemble two teams for the OLY, but not 3 or 4 especially if you start dividing on territorial lines with the weakness from Quebec right now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. Storm Man says:

And who says donkeys are dumb. Nice post :)

41. The Cat says:

Maybe Canada could do like the UK and divide up into 4 ‘countries’ (West, Ontario, Quebec and East)for the hockey world championships and olympics…Hockey needs more drama. There just isnt enough hate between Canada and Sweden, Finland, Germany etc.

42. Storm Man says:

I had 6 of my friends over to watch the game on my new 3D tv 52 inch (Sony) still the game was a yawn in 3D and to think I went out and had to buy 3 more pairs of 3D glasses at a 150.00 a pop. I cant wait for football and even better hockey season.

Cat–right, That was another good game!

44. ooder says:

Paul the octupus DESTROYS maggie the monkey

100% success rate!

——————

88 is the new 23

45. Pucker Up says:

Still smarting from the Halak trade?

We have quite a few months to go yet before we can start watching the best game on the planet! What do we do next for sports entertainment??

Oh ya! The Alouettes play Edmonton tonight at 7pm eastern. Go Als Go!—More Fan Summit Information—————–

47. The Cat says:

Uruguay-Ghana was the game of the tournament for me.

48. The Cat says:

Thank goodness Spain won,  the Netherlands were a bit of a disgrace. Normally I dont wish for any sports team to carry a psychological loser tag on them (3rd finals loss) but this time I was happy.

You were just not watching the same game that I was.!

True Dat Keith, Overall I enjoyed the tournament. Don’t know the game as well as hockey or even our football. But I liked the game yesterday a lot. Each team was going forward all game long.

But today’s game was a shame at best! Even though the better team won the game without question.

51. Storm Man says:

Yawn……. Who won?

52. Keith says:

Like I said in an earlier thread. You can’t drink out of that trophy.

53. TripleX says:

Perspective from it’s very definition is from a particular viewpoint.

His viewpoint mirrors your own so you find it enjoyable to read.  That does not necessarily make it true or accurate.

54. BJ says:

Are you kidding! Ref was a joke.

55. BJ says:

Spain is a very good team. I was cheering for the Netherlands but…… I was also hoping the referee would not be a part of the end result or a factor in the outcome but he “took up too much space” in the scheme of things. I’m glad we have hockey as I don’t think I could take too much of the diving and I’m dead one second and I’m up the next.

56. likehoy says:

even up the possession? what game were you watching? it was spains ball but the dutch broke it up using anti-football so it didn’t feel like the spanish had more of the ball but they did.

the final percentages were 63% to 37% for the spanish

57. likehoy says:

it was an ugly soccer game at the very least. there were some points of brilliance, but way too many free kicks which resulted in no flow of play…the jabulani didn’t help keeping the free kicks down either.

58. Willy the bum says:

I was gonna talk about the weather here… :(

John Helms should do the commentary for this season’s NHL instead of Bob Cole; hockey and soccer seems a bit similiar…

The best team won the cup. But the best game in the tournament was played yesterday. It was great.!

This game was probably one of the worse,.I was pulling for the Dutch, but did not like their tactics.

Orange has a habit of this type of crappy play. Broad street bullies!

60. likehoy says:

well not saying the dutch should have won cause they were playing ugly anti-football…but the spanish were too scared to play against the anti-football and fouls. only iniesta and cesc showed any bravery. cesc is used to it considering he plays in the EPL, but i’m impressed with the diminutive iniesta’s hustle. although he dove too much (causing 2 cards and a sending off of heitinga), iniesta was brave like our fellow gionta.

i watched 116 minutes of listless soccer, i wanted at least a shootout. i am disappointed in the result.

at the same time, howard webb is much deserving of reffing in the world cup. a very good ref from the EPL and he knows how to handle the primadonnas.

61. homerbowen says:

OMG….what a boring game. Back and forth, back and forth, yellow cards, red cards, no wonder they drink so much in those countries.

62. Pucker Up says:

That referee should apply to the NHL!

63. likehoy says:

the dutch were robbed…foul on elia + deflection on sneijder’s free kick that resulted in a goal kick and not a corner kick.

64. likehoy says:

red card finally!

iniesta diving around drawing cards.

65. Pucker Up says:

3 billion people can’t be wrong, can they?

66. TripleX says:

For those who own a new iTouch or iPhone with ios4.  Here are some NHL wallpapers including Montreal.  Woohoo!

67. camel_larry says:

*yawn*

can somebody at least impale a member of the other team with their cleat again? That and the spanish goaltender pwning Robben’s face off have been the highlights for me.

68. homerbowen says:

I painted my deck planters this morning and watched the paint dry. This was very similar to world cup match on TV. What a boring game. I can’t wait until hockey season starts.

69. likehoy says:

terrible game.

the spanish show their soft selves and are afraid to play…while the dutch are playing anti-football.

i’m hoping to see both teams go down to 10 men to open things up.

70. likehoy says:

lol they might as well…8 yellow cards and a kung fu kick

71. alestar says:

Soccer is just so brutally boring to watch…they should allow body checking or something…

XXIV…and counting

72. Bozo McBozo says:

Robbin had the game on his foot!

73. TripleX says:

1.  F

2.  Y on the salary and N on the progress of the talks

3.  Y

4.  Y

5.  PG is even less deserving of a vacation than the CEO of BP

74. SmartDog says:

SUNDAY AFTERNOON GM: 5 T/F QUESTIONS

If you are Pierre Gauthier:

1. You’re happy with your team and feel that you have a potential cup contender. T/F

2. You’re content with your talks with Price’s camp and expect him to be in a Habs sweater for betwee 2-3 million/year depending on term length.

3. You are about to start talks with Markov’s camp and prepared to let them know you absolutely want him as a Hab for 2-3 more years, but if nothing gets settled he must and WILL be traded.

4. You’re working with the rest of the upper management team on a plan to give the Habs one of the best scouting organizations in the NHL. You know there’s a lot to do but after your first round misses, your questionable trades (Tangua, Gomez), you know that amateur and pro scouting are areas where you should improve.

5. You’re going on vacation soon.  Yeehaw! Life is good as a highly paid GM!

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

75. Former Jets Fan says:

1. F

2. T

3. T

4. F

5. T

To expand on a couple answers, if a GM, in this case PG, is content to – and I hate to use this now-tainted expression – stand pat in July, he’s not working hard enough.  Kick some tires FFS!  Maybe Price is waiting for another summer visit from Jacques Martin to reassure him he is in fact the man.  The Markov situation is tricky because of his injury.  Can PG in good conscience sign him for a modest raise, or a modest reduction in salary not knowing how he’ll recover from a third injury in 12 months?  The time to focus on Markov may be in the interim between his return and the deadline.

76. G-Man says:

If I’m Pierre Goatier I’m off to the phrenologist.

77. Chorske says:

1. Gotta be false.

2. Is that even a question? Anything over two years and two million per is a bad idea. So false.

3. I don’t get how that makes an ounce of sense. F

4. True, especially wrt pro scouting- the Habs always seem a step behind and unprepared.

5. Sure, why not. Guy’s allowed some time off.

78. ed lopaz says:

nice signature – you took a lot of abuse for the other one.

Burke was Captain of his Providence hockey team, graduated Providence, played AHL Pro hockey,

graduated Harvard Law School, became an NHL GM and won a Cup,

last year, he put together a U.S Olympic team that was ridiculed on this site as well,

but he’s a “bum” compared to the posters on this site.

its absolutely laughable.

what happened to a little respect for people that have actually worked hard and become leaders in their

fields?

79. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Hate to break it to you but “his cup”  came on the back of another GM, he was horrible in Vancouver and so far he’s been horrible in TO.  Using the US olympic team to prop up Burke is sad,  anyone could have put that team together.

80. camel_larry says:

Evidently you’ve forgotten he’s the GM of the leafs, moreover a GM of the leafs who signed Komisarek for like 5 million dollars and traded (essencially) Tyler Seguin, a first round pick, and a second round pick for Phil Kessel. Seguin alone is worth craploads more than Kessel, and now the Bruins likely get ANOTHER lottery pick next year.

81. TripleX says:

Rational thought and a sprinkling of objectivity would go a long way to improve the overall commentary on HIO.

I have no problem disliking a particular person or team but to cast wide generalizations that have little merit is silly.  Brian Burke and Pierre McGuire have been successful all their lives.  Any reasoned individual would at least credit them for that.

I am by nature a cynic and i know that, but I do try to be somewhat objective.

82. TorontoHabsFan says:

what happened to a little respect for people that have actually
    worked hard and become leaders in their fields?

You mean like Jacques “8th winningest coach in NHL history” Martin??

83. ed lopaz says:

I have a lot of respect for people that have worked hard and accomplished great things in their lives.

84. ed lopaz says:

I respect Jacques – I just don’t think he is the right man

to coach this team. I was not in favour of his hiring from

the beginning.

85. SeriousFan09 says:

Bob Gainey is considered the best defensive forward in NHL history with 4 Selke Trophies, the 1979 Conn Smythe Trophy and 5 Stanley Cup rings as a player. He was once described by the Soviet National Team coach as “Technically the most complete player in the world.”

Bob Gainey coached an underdog North Stars team to the 91 Cup Finals, only to lose to the Penguins when they reached their peak.

Bob Gainey built the Dallas Stars into Cup Contenders, won in 1999 and got to the finals again in 2000.

Bob Gainey reestablished a permanent farm team for Montreal, made it an attractive location for free agents again, put the team back on a playoff footing and engineered the most successful post-season run in 17 years.

Yet ask some here and he’s a madman dedicated to destroying the Montreal Canadiens and makes crap choices all the time when he’s had great success as a hockey man. It seems some days we have more people defending Brian Burke than Bob Gainey.

Burke borrowed the Anaheim team that already drafted Getzlaf, Perry, signed Penner as a UFA, Giguere under contract and Rob Niedermayer, who was the reason Scott signed in the first place. Six key names that had nothing to do with what he did. Gainey built his Dallas team from the ground up. He’s not a bum, but a undeservedly arrogant man acting like he can’t make a mistake and no one in the NHL is smarter than he is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

86. ed lopaz says:

I have a ton of respect for Bob Gainey.

That being said, he was a TERRIBLE GM in Montreal.

In 6 years, the team never got past the 2nd round of the
    playoffs.

In Montreal, that’s not nearly good enough.

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Vancouver never got beyond the 2nd round of the playoffs under Burke’s long tenure there I should point out. The Leafs have been nowhere close to the playoffs in close to the two years he’s been there. So why are people raising him as a genius changing the face of the NHL with his team when he’s accomplished nothing outside of a pre-assembled Anaheim team in the NHL?

He’s got nothing more to hang his hat on than Gainey does. He’s just better at publicizing his successes and hiding his mistakes.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

88. ed lopaz says:

All I said was Burke deserved my respect – and he gets NONE from you – not as GM for the Leafs or the Nucks, but for everything else he has done in his life.

Gainey also deserves my respect , I agree – not as GM of the Habs, but for everything else you pointed out.

SF, Boone mentioned that you’re in grad school.

I went to MBA school here in Montreal, after graduating from Mcgill in 86.

You’re extremely bright – and you will be very successful in your life.

I don’t want to tell you what to do – I’m just advising a little – and for me, when I see guys make so much

happen, like Burke and Mcguire, I don’t deny them the respect they deserve.

That’s all I’ve ben trying to say all day long.

89. Bill J says:

Are you the next re-incarnation of Tony ?

Sounds like a familiar conspiracy theory of his.

90. SeriousFan09 says:

Throughout my life, I’ve had an issue with people who carry around ill-deserved arrogance. Burke is a person I find with that character flaw, he too often seems to lecture publically how he’s smarter than everyone else and everything he does is the right move and no one can see how brilliant he is. It’s also why I have a bone to pick with the current Prime Minister and a lot of people I’ve met in my life. Everyone should walk around with a certain confidence, we all need confidence to accomplish things but when that confidence transcends to what I find to be a codescending tone than I take an issue. There is nothing wrong with being right or arguing why you are right, but double talk and exuding pure arrogance without cause is where I lose respect for people. Humans are flawed by nature and people who can’t admit they’re wrong just rub me the wrong way. They’re denying the natural state of things just because they think they are that good, that smart.

I’m not in Grad school either, dropped out of university interests soon after I tried a bit of part-time study at Concordia and why is a long story, suffice to say I’m at a career college for Law and Security Administration and I haven’t attended a University course since April of ’07. These days, I’m self-educated on my original study path (History) and keep up on politics (side study) with my own free time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

91. showey47 says:

Who would have thought chris pronger having an extramarital affair in edmonton would get brian burke a cup in anaheim?  That has a “history will be made” commercial written all over it.

92. ed lopaz says:

well, you write like you’re a grad student. :-)

people who can organise their thoughts and write like you can are usually excellent lawyers.

93. Mad Habber says:

The second was Jared Knight a pretty good prospect on his own.

===========From Interveiw on Draft Day=============

James Duthie: “Toronto’s first pick is sixty-second overall, in the third round. You’ve defended the Phil Kessel trade over and over again, you said you’d do it again, but here we are, on the day, was it tough to watch Tyler Seguin get selected second by Boston?”

Brian Burke: “No, this is the, we made this trade, we took our chances at how our team would finish. We talked about the possibility that it could be a lottery pick, at that point we were having a real strong pre-season and didn’t believe it was possible. So what if it is Taylor Hall, what if it is Tyler Seguin? And we said we’re going to make that trade anyway. We got the player we wanted, and I hope Boston got the player they wanted.”

====================

====================

How come Leafs management is getting so much credit around here? They took a gamble on where they were going to finish based on pre-season play. Worst of all, Kessel was injuried and wasn’t going to be able to play until mid-November anyway. Why hasn’t anyone second guessed Burke’s timing? He could have waited at least until the end of October and than pulled the trigger. He would have known his team still sucked then. Sure you can validity his point Hall/Seguin are equal to Kessel. But why throw in Jared Knight and a first next season?

94. Slovak says:

:-) you are already signed with other poeple here, who do not blindly follow…

95. G-Man says:

Some just don’t know a joke when they see 1. You asked what I would do if “I” were Goatier.

96. SeriousFan09 says:

Referencing an antiquated and completely absurd field of study that as much fact backing it as intelligent design does what to make a point about your dislike of the GM? Kudos for the knowledge involved to invoke it, but it seems to me using a disproven and insane scientific model to argue how the GM is killing the team when your proof that he is doing so has as much backing as intelligent design doesn’t do much for your argument.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

97. SmartDog says:

Could be just a clever way of saying Pierre needs his head examined.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

98. SeriousFan09 says:

So send him to see a complete quack who’d give him the wrong advice? If that was the idea than we can just get him a sit-down with Mike Milbury.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

99. TripleX says:

If things don’t go perfectly to the start of the season it will be very ugly for PG and Price.  That is not something I wish to happen simply a reality of the situation that management created.

We all know that life never progresses perfectly.  I feel only sympathy for Price and Eller and the unnecessary pressure PG has put them under.

Maybe the reason Price is taking so long to sign is that he recognizes the almost impossible situation that management has once again put him in.

100. Clay4bc says:

Where do I sign up?

__________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead
    decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

101. Jon Hackett says:

Is it at le manoir again? I’ve always wanted to meet you guys, maybe this is my chance!

102. arcosenate says:

I kind of thought it was funny at the time, but then again, I find All in the Family quite funny too.  I guess my sense of humour had a best before date…

103. TripleX says:

Mr. Gainey is not classless, but he is not infallible either.

104. Bill J says:

Sounds like you may have felt targeted when Gainey called out the —holes

PS I agree with Gainey, your a —hole if you boo your team when they need support.

;)

105. Mike Boone says:

Yes, let’s rehash one exchange in a press conference that happened 14 months ago. I was there. The Canadiens had just been eliminated four straight, with Carey Price being booed at the Bell Centre. So Bob Gainey became annoyed when a writer who never covers the team cited the hockey wisdom of his wife. Gainey was exasperated, yes. But classless? Please.

106. tom13 says:

Is there any news on latts and price and what’s taking so long ?

107. Jon Hackett says:

Why would there be any news about Latendresse? ;-)

108. tony d says:

Will there be a huge police presence to squash any potential uprisings?

109. adam76 says:

Can I wear my Halak jersey?

110. JasonM says:

Yes and I’ll wear my Huet one.

111. slamtherimtim says:

i’ll be on lac macdonald , looking to catch a monster

112. Deano says:

Just got back from Lake McDonald … water is like soup already.

113. Bill J says:

1) Sexist ? WOW! OK Overreact much ?

2) “All but your little group here of course!” — Don’t like it, find another place to discuss the Habs.

Unless you enjoy THIS little group.

Only an IDIOT would frequent a place they do not enjoy.

;)

114. SmartDog says:

Dang!  Wednesday night woulda been perfect.   I can’t make it Thursday.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

115. nightmare_49 says:

Bruins still have plenty of work left this summer

No time for Bruins to take some time off / Hockey notes / Fluto Shinzawa

Assign Michael Ryder to Providence. Because Wheeler and Campbell filed for arbitration, there will be a second buyout window later this summer. But the Bruins will not buy out the $4 million remaining on Ryder’s contract. That would be $1.33 million of dead money applied toward the cap in each of the next two years. Far more palatable cap-wise to send Ryder to the AHL, much like the route Peter Schaefer took two years ago.

Bryan – I imagine that the Habs would be the last team in the NHL to make a move such as this. It just doesn’t seem to be part of the G&G management style.

117. Clay4bc says:

Cowan was right on the mark with that write-up. Gainey’s comment was utterly classless – all the more so because Gainey is a man of so much class. I was stunned he sunk so low as to utter those words.

And the reporter (Peter Ray) was correct then,and it is still true now – Halak is the better goalie, and should be in the nets.

As for the commenter, well, she has a great point. Stupid indeed…

__________________________

“Peoples will only be truly free when the last king is strangled by the bowels of the last priest” Denis Diderot

118. Mike Boone says:

This is interesting logic. Stu Cowan would be banned from this blog, but HIO pointed readers to Stu’s column. Why would we promote wrting we’d ban?

I actually thought that Martin was hired to replace Gainey when he stepped down and then Boucher move on up to us from Hamilton. I guess I was out to lunch on that thought. I had a very hard time at times warming up to Martin style of coaching.

But after the great train wreck was put together by him and we had such a great play off run, I have warmed up to him and have a better appreciation for him.

Boucher could still be back after he gets his feet wet in Florida for a few years.

120. Clay4bc says:

Ian…the team came together around a goalie. Now that goalie is gone, and I fear he took the magic with him.

Shame about Boucher, though…he would have done well here.

_________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead
    decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

121. SmartDog says:

I was trying to avoid wading into the debate of just how good or bad the Habs have been and why…. but I think we can all agree that scouting is REALLY important and that when you fire a half dozen scouts in one fell swoop it’s surely an admission that something has gone wrong.  As Ed said, there’s no cap on scouting.  I’d love to hear a new item where Molson or Gauthier said “we are going to do everyting in our power to build the best scouting team in the NHL”.   Why not?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

122. SmartDog says:

Whoa…. I’m not ready to crucify Timmins.. a scouting TEAM to me is different than a coaching team.  It REALLY relies on the network of people and their information since the head scout can’t be everywhere.  To be clear I’m not defending Timmins either.

And no, I’m not saying Gillett was cheap.  Just that I see no reason not to sink a lot of money into scouting and EVERY reason to do it. Surely the return on an extra million or two is there.   But firstyo uneed to correctly identify what good scouting is and how mistakes happen.  There’s a whole psychology behind decision making that I doubt most GMs are aware of.  My bias maybe (my background is psych).

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

123. slamtherimtim says:

it’s my first time there , gps’d it already , any good spots, heard theres lots of grass

124. punkster says:

I disagree your first statement Clay. The team came together around their leaders, Gionta, Cammy, Gomez, Gill and played like a team. Halak was a part of it, no doubt, and I’d go as far as saying a catalyst in those games and moments when he played in a realm of the unreal. Just as Gill’s shot blocking and TOI was unreal and inspiring, and Gionta’s constant full bore play was rallying point, Cammy’s timely goals an inspiration. No one player can be said to have cornered the market on magic this spring.

FREE TIMO!

125. Bill J says:

Well said punkster.

I believe the TEAM grew together, and Jaro was but a piece of the puzzle.  How Price fits into the puzzle will be intriguing.

I do not believe it will be a hard fit.  And things WILL keep magically moving along.

126. Kamal Panesar says:

So any word on this micro-summit?  Anyone going?  I was thinking of going, being a close-to-pointe-claire-ite and all…

Follow Kamal on HabsAddict.com, Facebook and Twitter