Michel Therrien: ‘The good thing is we find a way to win.’ (Video)

Alex G HIO pic

Coming off an emotional win against the Toronto Maple Leafs, coach Michel Therrien knew Monday’s game against the New Jersey Devils would be a demanding one mentally for the Canadiens.

“For our team that was a really tough game to play,” Therrien said after the Habs 3-2 victory at the Bell Centre over the Devils.

“It was tough to get involved in the game,” Therrien said. “I’d like to give a lot of credit to the Devils, I thought they played a really good hockey game.”

But Canadiens goaltender Carey Price was outstanding, Therrien added, and “gave us a chance obviously to steal that game.”

“Mentally for us it was a tough game to play. And the good thing is we find a way to win. And this is what I appreciate tonight…I knew it was going to be really demanding mentally to play that game.”

The Canadiens were outshot 30-17 and only managed five shots on goal in the first period. But they managed to eek out a victory with goals by Rene Bourque, Max Pacioretty and Alex Galchenyuk along with a few impressive crease-clearing efforts by defenceman P.K. Subban that prevented at least one goal.

“He’s playing his best hockey,” Therrien said of Subban, who won the Norris Trophy last season as the National Hockey League’s top defenceman.

David Desharnais collected two assists, including a pretty backhand feed to Bourque on his goal.

“He’s making some good plays,” Therrien said of Desharnais. “But for me, he battled to the puck. He’s strong on the puck. If there’s a loose puck he wants to be first on the puck and he makes good decisions.

Pacioretty scored his team-leading 10th goal. Galchenyuk, who was benched during the third period of Saturday’s game against the Leafs, scored the game-winning goal in the third period and narrowly missed an empty-netter in the dying seconds of the game, hitting the post.

The Canadiens have now won six of their last seven games, a stretch in which they also picked up a point in their shootout loss last Friday to the Washington Capitals.

You can watch what Subban had to say after the game here:

And you can listen to Galchenyuk here:

And you can listen to Pacioretty here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. rhino514 says:

Price seems to be like almost every other goalie in the league, he does well when his D plays well and he does badly when his D plays badly.
    Lately he has been at the top of his game. I can´think of a bad goal recently, and I can think of quite a few key saves.
    I still wouldn´t put him in the top 5 or 6 goalies in the league, but he´s good.

2. Marc10 says:

Well the tandem of Waite and Price (or Waite and Budaj for that matter) is getting it done. Wow!

Very happy for Carey. Glad he found his goalie coach and the results… they’re amazing! Keep it up buddy!

• savethepuck says:

Only 2 goals allowed tonight were a close in deflection and a screen he didn’t see. I can’t think of a bad goal he has allowed this year yet and I would like to research it ( but don’t know how ), but I would guess that the Habs quite possibly are the only NHL team not to pull a goaltender in a game yet this season.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

3. JM says:

When people say Price cant win a game for us. Will he proved them wrong tonight. Being out-shot by almost twice the margin he won this one!! Play like that Wednesday night. I’ll feel sorry for Budaj.

• Peter Young says:

Who says that? I’ve seen dozens of comments this season saying Price won the game for us but never one that said he couldn’t win a game for us. But I admit I haven’t read every message on every thread, only a substantial portion of them.

Tonight it was Price and Subban, who saved two sure goals, who gave us the chance to win, but Desharnais, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Bourque and several others played their part in securing the win, too.

Actually, credit for a win ought never to go to one player alone. Price often plays a bigger role than anyone else in achieving wins if only because he’s the goaltender on the ice for almost every minute of every game he plays, and when he plays very well, making some stunning saves, it’s natural to give him the major credit. But hockey’s a team game, after all, and I think it’s more fair to say Price gave the team the chance to win than it is to say Price won the game.

• savethepuck says:

In his defense, there have been many times in the recent past that posters have said Price is not stealing games like he is supposed to. The team was badly outplayed in the first 2 periods tonight and I agree that a lot of credit should be given to Carey because NJ could of had a commanding lead early in the game but Carey did his job very very well.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• canuckbot says:

anybody that says “Price doesn’t win us games” is either stupid or a troll. If you said “Price doesn’t win us the game in a shootout” might have an argument.

4. ABHabsfan says:

Primo?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh