Michel Therrien: ‘Four big points’ with Habs back-to-back wins (Video)

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

The Canadiens blocked 29 shots en route to a 2-1 victory over the Dallas Stars Tuesday at the Bell Centre, their second win in as many nights.

“It’s a nice team victory,” said coach Michel Therrien, who called the back-to-back wins “four big points.” The Canadiens defeated the Rangers in New York on Monday 2-0.

With players missing from their lineup, the Canadiens have to concentrate on playing well defensively, Therrien said.

“Again tonight I think we did that well.”

As long as they keep that mentality, Therrien added, they’ll give themselves chances to win games.

“We learn from our mistakes and that’s what I like about our team,” he said.

“The guys realized we need to play sound defensive hockey and create some chances. And this is again what we did. That’s the way we’re going to have success.”

Defenceman Douglas Murray made his Bell Centre debut as a Hab, after missing the start of the season with an upper-body injury. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound Murray dished out six hits and blocked three shots in 12 minutes of ice time. It was his second game of the season.

Murray brings such a physical presence and is a tough guy to play against, Therrien said.

You can hear what Murray had to say here:

You can listen to what Price had to say here:

And you can listen to Rene Bourque here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Propwash says:

Once Emelin gets back, the Habs have 4 D combos that has at least one hard hitter in it. Emelin, Murray, Subban, and to a lesser extent, Boullion. Not too bad all things considered.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

2. Say Ash says:

I don’t find Murray to play that tough. He plays angry – Scottish angry, which is even better.

3. Sportfan says:

Say what you want about Murray but I like what he brings to the team, I can only imagine him and emelin playing at the same time!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Timo says:

Man, I hope Emelin learns to pick his spots a bit better. Murray seems to be very good at figuring out the timing of a hit. Could be me, but for the slow guy his accuracy of nailing an opponent is pretty high. I hope he passes his wisdom on to younger guys like Emelin and Tiny. And even Desharnais.

You know who is going to profit the most from Murray’s presence (provided they call him up again)? Tiny. Crank brought it again tonight. The dude is just like a truck… a slow but nothing will stop it truck. Like.

5. Harditya says:

Sorry if posted earlier.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 2h
    MTL on an all-out scouting blitz lately: GM Bergevin at OTT/CHI… Asst GM Dudley has been in LA for few gms… Dir of PD Mellanby was in TO

• Timo says:

Please, not Diaz.

• Fransaskois says:

Don’t care about TO, don’t see anything happening.

LA… might be looking at King, Clifford or Martinez.

Can’t see anything happening with OTT considering they’re in our division. Probably just scouting them as opponents. Maybe Colin Greening?

CHI… I’m not sure. They’ve got a lot of high-end talent but not the type of depth we’re looking for. Maybe a minor deal.

• galchenyuk27 says:

bergevin and Dudley have good connections in Chicago. They where probably scouting someone they already drafted, or looking for holes in there line up. Where they could trade a missing piece for a missing piece. That’s my guess on that game. Maybe Bergevin reads what we say on here and saw how I mentioned Derek Grant for peanuts. hopefully he doesn’t get traded to fast cause Derek bought me tickets for when they play Montreal in Ottawa on the 7th.

6. Peter Young says:

It’s quite remarkable how well the Canadiens have done in the face of a spate of injuries that left them without not only their top scorer, Pacioretty, but also most, if not all, of their tough guys, Murray, Parros, Prust and Moen. That they are still within hailing distance of first place is quite astonishing.

Despite claims a couple of seasons ago that there was nothing in the pipeline, there has been a stream of young and excellent talent coming into the team from draft signings that bodes very well for the future. Pacioretty and Subban first, then Galchenyuk and Gallagher, and Bournival this year. And what a superb surprise the trade for Eller has turned into; he’s a young and superb player who’s the equivalent of a first round draft pick for the Canadiens.

This steady flow of young talent into the team reminds me of the good old days–the mid-1950s through the end of the 1970s, when a great rookie or two appeared like magic almost every season as older players moved on or retired. That regular injection of young yet superb talent into the team is the stuff of which Stanley Cup winners are eventually made.

7. Un Canadien errant says:

Sholi, for your TSN Olympic board of Tenders, don’t sleep on Allan Bester and Mike Palmateer.

8. Stevie.Ray says:

Can anyone tell me how the Dogs fared last weekend? How did Tinordi look sliding back into a important role?

9. Say Ash says:

Cole needs DD in Dallas. Get on the phone MB!

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Surprising how invisible Erik Cole was tonight for the Dallas Stars, who took a 2-1 loss at the hands of the Canadiens relatively peaceably.

I thought Erik might want to put on a show, streak up and down the ice and distribute a few hits at least. I don’t think I saw him more than once or twice, and he was standing still at the time. The boys on RDS said there’s a rumoured injury hampering his play, and harped on his notorious slow starts, but for a player coming into a game with a chance to haunt his old team, it was a listless effort.

I’ve been ruing the Erik Cole trade since the signing of Daniel Brière. Although I applauded the trade at the time, and thought we were getting out of an onerous contract with more than two years left on it for a player with waning ability, the way the dominoes fell and we ended up with Daniel Brière for two years with a No Trade Clause, I wasn’t sure we’d won out in the end. I thought Erik was younger and more able to play a physical style, therefore a better fit for our smallish forwards. I was 75% convinced of that, but after tonight, I’m 60% convinced. The surge of production I thought could happen for Erik with a good off-season of conditioning is looking more and more unlikely.

Let’s just go ahead and measure Michaël Bournival for the Calder Trophy, why don’t we. Not only is he playing great, but he’s reinvigorated Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta. That duo looked moribund the first few games, but are now reclaiming their 1A line status, pushing the kids back to 1B. Chalk up another goal for Mr. Bournival, who played on the first wave of the powerplay, no less.

Two assists for Raphaël Diaz will also be very welcome. He’s had a couple of difficult games defensively to start the season, and he’ll never be confused for Brian Engblom, but he can pitch in by doing what he did tonight: be first on the puck in the defensive zone and clear it out quickly, and create some goals on offence. He doesn’t have the rocket that Yannick Weber has, but he’s a headier, more dependable player, and he’ll get some pucks on net with a quick wrister rather than trying to blast it through shot-blockers. I’m keen to see Raphaël paired with Douglas Murray or Alexei Emelin, I insist that with the right partner he can help the team.

René Bourque continues his quiet campaign. He’s also taken flak by fans lately, for not being Rick Tocchet mostly, but we knew that going in. René is a big, strong, fast winger who can snipe goals. He’s relatively streaky, but he’s not dogging it, he still works hard on defence, he’s getting shots on net. His fourth goal has him on pace for 25 for the season. That’s exactly what we were projecting/hoping for him this year. Again, when Max comes back, I’d be eager to see what those two can do with David Desharnais, maybe they can recreate the magic the 2 1/2 Men line had.

Carey Price racked up another win, but lost the shutout on a shot some may think he flubbed. I think he was more surprised by it than anything, Cody Eakins timed his wrist shot perfectly so that Carey couldn’t pick it out from behind P.K.’s skates and legs until it went by him. In any case, we’re not expecting him to bat a thousand, as we’ve discussed before, he just need to stop 19 out of 20 shots. That’s all we ask. Sure enough, tonight he finished with a .963 save percentage, slightly above that mark. He raised his season percentage to .939, which is fifth-best in the league, and roughly where it needs to be for the team to be successful and for him to amply justify the contract he was awarded last season.

The crash back to earth that a lot of us were expecting with the team’s numerous injured players and tougher schedule isn’t materializing. It’s three wins out of four starting since the game against the Oilers, and while there was a clear gap between our team and the Sharks, the boys kept it close. With Max potentially back this Friday, and George Parros, Travis Moen and Brandon Prust poised to add depth and size soon enough, enabling us to return Patrick Holland and Mike Blunden back to Hamilton where they belong, I may have to temper my natural cautiousness/pessimism, and expect even more from Nos Glorieux.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons