Metropolit off to Switzerland

Glen Metropolit. Mike Zarrilli, Getty Images file photo

According to reports, Glen Metropolit is headed back to Europe to continue his
hockey career. The former Canadiens centre signed a two-year deal with EV Zug
in Switerland yesterday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Metropolit, 36, played three seasons in Europe, including a
stint with Jokerit Helsinki from 2003-05, and Lugano in Switzerland for the
05-06 season. He returned to the NHL for the 06-07 season with the Atlanta
Thrashes.

The Canadiens claimed Metropolit, a Toronto native, off
waivers on Feb. 27, 2009 from the Philadelphia Flyers. Metropolit scored 16
goals and added 13 assists for Montreal last season.

1. soperman says:

Thanks Metro.  You have joined a long list of former Habs who gave more to the team than they received in return.  Many fans appreciate your effort.

They traded Halak. Jaroslav Halak. YOU ARE KIDDING ME?

2. Propwash says:

Metro was a great Hab, all the best in your career!

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

3. bigjames says:

all the best metro. you were a great hab. thanks for the goals and the great character!

4. B says:

Did any of those other players you mention lead the team in PP goals? Not bad for a guy who was 10th in PP TOI.

5. nightmare_49 says:

Panthers’ David Booth ready to start intense skating

Booth has yet to skate since suffering his second career concussion March 25.

6. nightmare_49 says:

more from Bucky Gleason / Buff. News

Sabres waive Kennedy, sign Morrisonn

Move caught South Buffalo native by surprise

7. The Cat says:

Metropolit is one of them players thats impossible to not like. Lots of honour, hard working etc

8. nightmare_49 says:

Shaone Morrisonn signs with Buffalo

– Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent defenseman Shaone Morrisonn on a two-year contract.

Morrisonn (12/23/1982, 6’4”, 217 lbs., shoots left) has spent the last five seasons with Washington. The 27-year-old was consistently among Washington’s leaders in hits and blocked shots throughout his career, including 163 hits and 104 blocks last season. In 418 career games with Washington and Boston, Morrisonn has 70 points (10+60), 423 PIMs and is a plus-36

via Dan Murphy tweet,

Willy Mitchell feeling great after 18 days of training/skating. He’s narrowed 12 interested teams to 4 and suprise! Van may still be in mix

9. Aerobiz says:

Okay, okay ya got me.

Thank god MS word has spell check. LOL

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

10. Clay4bc says:

That’s great, but was he also tenacious?

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

11. Bugs says:

Little nightcap afore bed? Ah, what the hell:

There once was a GM quite dreary

Grew up south-east of Sudberry.

Played for the club

Then went out like a shlub

For brewers who liked things more merry.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

12. Clay4bc says:

If you capitalize the “D” in Dick, the name comes through…I’ve come across this problem in the past.

*EDIT* LOL, I stand corrected…it used to work…

__________________________

Carey Price killed my dog.

13. habrez says:

Thought of some others, Jim Campbell, Marc Bureau, Randy Mckay.

I guess Mathieu Darche will fill this role this year.

14. habrez says:

I feel like this is the first time in a while we don’t have a Glen Metropolit type player on the team. Journeyman who have lost a step with age but still play a role, probably most importantly in the locker room. We had, Joe Juneau, Jim Dowd, Brian Smolinski, Andreas Dackell, Niklas Sundstrom and many others I can’t remember off the top of my head (please feel free to add others). These type of guys always have a positive influence on the young guys as they see what kind of work ethic it takes to last many years in the NHL. I guess its now up to Hamr and Spacek to show the young guys how to be successful for a long time in the league.

15. J Haul says:

Best of luck to Metro. I was hoping he’d catch on somewhere in the NHL this year. I can’t help but feel he’d still have lots to offer an NHL club. I guess he’s a bit of a victim of the salary cap era. GM’s seem to want the young cheap guys filling this type of role nowadays.

Either way, there could be much worse places to live and play than Switzerland for a couple of years. I’m sure he’ll have a blast.

16. sidhu says:

Good luck, Metro — you’re a solid character player.

In other news, the Sabres have waived 5’9″ Tim Kennedy.  He seems to be the right size for us, no?

17. kempie says:

Indeed. That and annihilating 4 targets with 4 slapshots including the one-timer at the Habs skills display.

18. sprague cleghorn says:

Sorry about the double post.  Can’t believe we’ve reached the point where Richard Irvin Junior’s name gets censored.

19. sprague cleghorn says:

A dedicated, hard-working player who wore the tricoleur with pride.  More players should have his attitude — what Dick Irvin used to call “a solid citizen”. We’ll never forget his time with the Habs because that wonderful piece of video of him and Big Jean will be rerun forever.  Thanks for bringing something to the table, Metro.

20. sprague cleghorn says:

21. punkster says:

This is a feel good story. Just look at the long list of teams he has played for and imagine all the places he has visited on the road, big cities and hick towns all across North America and Europe. Living the dream, baby, living the dream. All the best Glen because you deserve the best.

FREE TIMO!

22. Bugs says:

Yes, he certainly showed a lot of tenatity.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

23. Bugs says:

Good luck and god bless, Metro. You were a crafty sumamabastich and I appreciated the hell outta ya.

Beat the snot outta those chocolate-eatin Swiss animals, would you?

Thanks.

Crackin but not slackin, the card says

24. Bryan says:

I’m sad to see him go.  Unfortunately, he wasn’t the same player after he came back from his shoulder injury late in the season.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

25. Aerobiz says:

He’s no spring chicken nad his production dropped off during the second half of the season, but I don’t get how a guy with as much to bring to the table as Metro can’t get a spot on the 4th line somewhere in the NHL. I liked this guy from the first time I saw him on the ice in a Habs jersey.

Slow, but great hands and tenatious as all get out.

26. ShangaDoo says:

Man, Metro is one of my favs. I’m happy he’s found somewhere to play. He works hard. A very character guy. Best of luck to him!

27. Chuck says:

Good luck, Glen. The highlight of your stay in Montreal was to receive the fist pump from Jean Beliveau.

28. Mr. Biter says:

Does anyone know what $$$ Metro wanted to sign. Without him and MAB (the most exciting man in hockey) we have lost 23 odd goals from the PP. I thought his contract demands might have been too high but don’t know but was surprised when no one picked him up. I’m quite sure he came back during the playoff run and played hurt as he did not have the same impact during the playoffs than the regular season. Good luck and fortune.

29. habsnyc says:

many habs seems to have lost a step, even without age.

metropolit was a solid player, but i doubt he had an important role in the dressing room. here was a guy with only one playoff series of experience and only one season of 60 or more NHL games prior to becoming a Hab.  he mostly kept his head down and worked hard to stay in the lineup. that attitude extended his nhl career by about 90 games.

smolinski, dackell and sundstrom didn’t do much for montreal and didn’t influence anyone.  dowd’s 14 games as a hab could not be described as impactful.  not taking anything away from dowd’s career with 10 NHL teams but he really didn’t have time to do much for montreal.

from what i read about him, joe juneau is apparently a really good person.  i imagine he must have been a positive influence on the team’s work ethic.   i think he was a really good third line center.

i think the good news is that while many of montreal’s young guys have been busts and didn’t work hard enough to stick with the team, pk subban seems to be really motivated.

Glen Metropollit was  a great addition to the Habs.  A waiver claim (who didn’t cost us any assets), he always gave an honest, hard working effort regardless of what role he was asked to fulfill.  His 10 unexpected PP goals was one of the main reasons we were able to qualify for the post season and have such a great playoff run.

Playing in Switzerland for the next two years is a smart move and I wish him all the best.

31. madcap_habsfan says:

I’m glad someone decided he’s worth having..i thought he was great, good luck to him

32. Mattyleg says:

So long Metro, it was great having you. I thought you were a great, hardworking Hab that never took a shift off, and you gave great interviews.

i loved the stories of him playing outdoor hockey with his little son, and laughing because he said that his son was probably the only person he’d be able to stickhandle past.

He had pretty quick hands for a grinder, and I wish him well wherever he goes, and pints are on me when he’s back in Mtl.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I loved this guy. Glad that Habs claimed him last to last season. Best of luck Metropolit! I will personally miss you a lot. Now that I think of it…I think I had a man crush on him LOL

34. alestar says:

I hope Metro does well over there, he’s a great character guy and I enjoyed watching him play for the Habs!

XXIV…and counting

35. Adam says:

Kind of surprised he couldn’t find work in the NHL, but I guess teams would rather have younger guys in “character” roles these days. Wish him the best, he went above and beyond  in his time here.

36. SLONCOLD says:

good luck metro:-) you played hard every shift and did so with class.

on an unrelated note. Mr halak must be loving his agent, i mean, he not only was traded for but then got a pretty nice contract lol i mean guys are leaving for the khl to get top dollar and solid vets are signing for under 2M and stanely cup winning goalies are being let go and “Thoroughbreds” aren’t signed yet( kidding on the last one).

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Good luck to #15, he was a great character man for the team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

38. Kooch7800 says:

I really enjoyed watching him play and hearing how he got the NHL.  Great story and a great guy.  Good luck Glen!!!!!!

Now that the Hawks walk away at 2.75 I wonder what Carey will get signed for?