Metro joins Habs for practice

The Canadiens practice this morning then charter to Washington.

Centre Glen Metropolit, who on March 30 was told a separated shoulder would keep him out of action for six to eight weeks, is skating in this practice wearing a no-contact jersey. He has been skating before practice this week with head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend and assistant coach Kirk Muller.

More details on that and other news to come once practice begins, scheduled for 10:30 am ET.

1. Les-Habitants says:

At this point, I like Lapierre in the lineup more than either Darche or Pyatt.  His game has really improved, IMO, the past couple games and I think he brings a great element to the 4th line.

2. Les-Habitants says:

Man, I really like Metro.  He’ll be a good addition if he can get healthy and back into the lineup.  I love his work ethic at returning, mark of a true competitor

3. DraftBeer says:

So you’re saying you’ll be out in round 2? If you wanna stick to your 2 years ago meme.

4. mike g says:

lol….nice

Or, he can repeat exaclty what Pleks said about us having a chance because Theo is no Brodeur or Miller….

Now that’s a slap to the Caps. But he’s too classy to say that.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

5. SLONCOLD says:

had that happen to me a few times… hurts like a biatch.

6. mike g says:

Guaranteed Chris Lee will be reffing at least 2 of our f-ing games…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

7. SLONCOLD says:

he should give them a speech about being champions…. (while wairing a price jersey if halak is playing and a halak jersey while price in playing lol)

8. oshawahabsfan says:

Haha oh wow, it’s hideous enough and the playoffs have yet to start. I can’t imagine what that beast would look like in two months if Chicago makes the finals, hilarious stuff. Toews will look like Wolverine and Kane like one of Sunnyvale’s finest.

9. krob1000 says:

geez, I hope Theo is okay…..I would rather he plays then Varlamov personally.

10. havok says:

Capitals Insider:

Goaltender Jose Theodore was struck by a shot on the inside of his left knee earlier in practice and suffered a “stinger,” according to Coach Bruce Boudreau.

Boudreau said Theodore was in some discomfort, but that he fully expects his No. 1 to start tomorrow’s playoff opener against Montreal.

“If you’ve ever played, when you get hit on the inside of a knee, it’s like a funny bone and goes numb for a bit,” Boudreau said. “We decided to keep him off because he had already had his shots and we were just doing” special teams drills.

“It hurts right off the bat,” Boudreau added. “[But] it’s on the bone, so it’s fine.”

Asked if there are any concerns about Theodore’s ability to play tomorrow, Boudreau said: “None.”

Theodore returned to the net after taking the shot off his knee. But he retired to the dressing room moments after attempting to finish practice.

The veteran goaltender had vacated his locker room before the dressing room was open to the media horde, which now includes more than two dozen reporters and cameras from Washington and Montreal

11. jimmy shaker says:

4th line…..Pyatt/Metro/Darche…..Laps, O’Byrne and Maxwell scratched!

Shaker

12. Morocco says:

They reseed after round one. So We would play New Jersey, but San Jose would play LA

13. Morocco says:

Or at least try to stop the booing.

14. gohabsgo25 says:

Ha!!!!! Theo was banged up by a shot by ovi. what does this mean for our habs. i think we can beat them no matter whose in net.

Everybody is doubting us but this is where we thrive member 2 yrs ago we will finish dead last we finished first. well let the media think this is a bulldozer series. the canadians will win.

habs in 6

15. mike g says:

Just saw that too…

Maybe Ovi realizes how much Theo stinks, and just wanted to get rid of him…lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

16. Mickeyy says:

Theo leaves practice after being hit by ovechkin shot. just saw this on tsn.

Saku you’ll always be #1

17. mike g says:

You know what would be great, totally insane actually….

If right before game 3 begins here in MTL on Monday night, Jean Beliveau delivers a recorder video message on the 5,000 inch HD scoreboard at the Bell Center. Something like him wishing he could be there, and saying he believes in the Habs and is pulling for them to go all the way…

That would pump up the crowd sooo much. I’ll be there, and I’d go nuts.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

18. Chuck says:

Could Metro wear one of those no-contact jerseys in Game 1?

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

19. mike g says:

LMAO, seriously I think AK has the worst haircut in all of pro sports…

It’s the “business in the front, party in the back” type of hairstyle…

But man has he lost his top-hair fast…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

20. mrhabby says:

wow, your very optimistic..me not so much.

21. Habscore says:

haha. Nice!!

22. coachdoug says:

I like it…Kane going for the “playoff mullet”…good move since his beard was a joke last year…

I miss the great Mullets of the 80′s…Maybe that is the direction the Habs need to go…AK46 already has the reverse mullet going…just sayin

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

23. coachdoug says:

I hope Metro gets a shot to play this series…he is a leader

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

24. Brocas Brain says:

I hope Metro is back….if so… here would be my lines ( I think our bottom 3 lines should have a little Jam.)

Gionta – Gomez – Cammy

Darche – Plekz – Pouliot

SK74 – Metro – AK46

Moen – Moore – Yappier

25. Habscore says:

Years ago, I went to my first Habs game ever which was vs. the Caps, the worst team at that time. Theo in nets, and we lost 6-1 that night with Ovy scoring on us. God it really sucked. Everybody was simply laughing and shouting his name in the Bell Center(THEEEEOOOOOOO!!) when he would stop all the last shots…Let’s make him pay!!! ggrrr..

26. joeybarrie says:

Re-Post

I think it comes down to this. We have a 50% chance at winning this series. Two reasons. First, simply put there are two teams and only 1 will win. Second and most importantly, if we comes out hard and play to our potential, we can do it. If we come out soft and play like we normally do, we cannot. It is a 50-50 chance on what team shows up. We have a better defense and goalie than they do. This gives us the advantage, as we have had when we played them all season. However, we are known to have lapses, and they are the number 1 team to take advantage of those lapses. When they do they can score 3-4 goals easily. This is where their advantage lies. Overall they are a better team. HOWEVER, if our goalie plays great, our defense plays solid and hard, and our offense plays to their potential. This series is ours. This is where the bad lies. No matter how great they play on defense, goalie or forward they have the ability to get around it fairly easily. We do not. That’s why i predict we are out in 5 or 6. BUT……….. IN THE END, I BELIEVE WE CAN UPSET.

We are giving Halak a chance to prove he can STAY number 1.

We might be giving Price a chance to say, hey it isn’t Halak’s job just yet.

We are giving our patch players a chance to show they belong.

I also believe we are giving some guys a last chance on their PRODUCTION. Because they clearly have potential and talent. But in the NHL it isnt enough.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

27. SmartDog says:

Listen up.  The Habs have a real chance against the Caps IF they keep their heads up and their feet moving. If they play tough and tight and give ‘er, and don’t let up for a minute.

Go Habs. Make Jose Revolving-door regret he didn’t hange them up a
    couple years ago.  That would be the best revenge for all the BS
    troglodites like Ovechkin are making of Pleks side comment based on the
    facts.  When you don’t have facts you spout shit.

Pleks is the man, but he’s not alone. I’m thinking Cami, Gio, Marky, and even Gomer Pyle are going to have a strong series.  And at least with guys like Moen and Darche, and Pyatt in our line-up, who know how to elevate and give it in tough situations, we have better depth than the CAps.

If Halak plays the way he can (Price too if he’s in), there’s no question our goaltending will be better than theirs. Someone needs to knock ovi on his fat arrogant ass.  About 8 hundred times.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR……… playoff hockey!  I love it!!

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

28. matmacat says:

Metro will get a contract, here or elsewhere. He seems to genuinely love it here.

29. ReverendJim says:

Correction. Metro wants a contract.

Look, I know Metro is a team player for sure and if he can play it will be great for the Habs but don’t be mistaken, Metro is playing his career RIGHT NOW.

30. Merc_Roswell says:

I really like this guy, hard worker, the players like him, good in the dressing room, good sense of humour, appreciates where he is and what he is doing….doesn’t seem to be taking things for granted, he is a team player, he shuts his mouth when needed and puts his work ethic in its place. The habs need that kind of personality in the room in favour of some of those other clowns they used to have (and a couple that are still there) that poisoned the room. On ice he is not a defensive liability, in fact he is a reliable player to throw on the ice for whatever job the coach gives him (within reason) and what he lacks in scoring (I know, I know, he had a lot of PP goals) he makes up for by playing hard and showing the true grit that brought him from the dark side of town to the bright lights of Habsdom in Montreal. He was a great signing for Montreal. I hope that Canadiens sign him if he is healthy and still has the legs. If not, you were a good sport and a fine example Metro.

31. mike g says:

I have a few ideas ;) …..

hint: none have anything to do with beards….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

32. B says:

Quite a bit different than Tanguay when he was injured at the end of last season. I hope they can afford to re-sign Metropolit next season.

33. Habscore says:

No! but there MUST be something for me to do to *unjinx the Habs to go all the way to Lord Stanley! :S

34. joeybarrie says:

Have you ever TRIED to get a playoff beard going???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

35. Say Ash says:

most guys here don’t

36. Habscore says:

hmmm. I wish!!

37. Say Ash says:

OV disagrees – wants to the Russian play

38. DONJUAN says:

C”MON Metro, gotta love this guy!!

In HABS we trust.

39. jimmy shaker says:

I think Laps and Pyatt can switch, but I’d give game one to Pyatt.  But it’s pretty much impossible for Metro to be able to go, so it’s gonna be Pyatt/Laps/Darche as the fourth line!  I was just wishfully speculating.

Shaker

40. Big Ted says:

Chris Lee better stay the hell away from our series. How can the NHL realistically select him to ref the playoffs and expect us not to believe there’s not some sort of corruption going on. It is clear he is a biased cheat, or at best incompetent at being a human being.

41. lavie says:

Metro is made of stainless steel.

42. ab-hab-nut says:

Metro is the man, I love watching him play with heart and grit and he can score!! Hurry up Metro Man,,,we need you now!

43. Habsman1970 says:

I wish the rest of the team would have the same determination….!!!! If they did than we would be unbeatable..!!!!

ONCE A HAB, FOREVER A HAB!!!

44. sam says:

man, if he’s already practicing with the team, that is huge. i don’t expect him to play tomorrow but way sooner than expected, that’s for sure ! here’s hoping.

45. mike g says:

Nice to see that Metropolit (a human) is more durable than the Metropolitain (a highway built of steel and concrete)…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

46. oshawahabsfan says:

That’s because the highway’s never met, The Chamber

47. forskis says:

If Metro pulls a half-Gainey and helps the team…if that does not portend good things to come, then nothing will.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

48. oshawahabsfan says:

See, we’re not the only ones who boo other team’s players haha

49. matmacat says:

It’s been what… 2 weeks?! :O

50. Habscore says:

“6-8 weeks?…. BS!”

51. Gr8stFranchizEvr says:

Montreal needs the Metro to get anywhere… (pun intended)

52. SmartDog says:

True dat.

Good one.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

53. matmacat says:

Man… don’t say pun intended. Ruins the pun. Like saying, that was a joke, now laugh! Let it be. Well, you do what you want, no harm done any way.

54. SeriousFan09 says:

What a competitor! Metro would be good to have back just beacuse he’s one of those guys in the room that makes everyone take notice of what perseverence is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.