Metro: ‘I wanted to call bull on 6-8 weeks’

Canadiens centreman Glen Metropolit got the word from his team’s medical staff this morning: six to eight weeks on the sidelines with his separated left shoulder.

“I kinda wanted to call bull—- on six to eight weeks,” Metropolit told Inside/Out Tuesday night. “It is what they said, but right then I wanted to get to work and prove everyone wrong, prove that I’m not going to be out that long.”

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin declared earlier in the day that his veteran centreman is lost at least through the end of the regular season, and that additional testing is to be done this week. But Metropolit is eager to prove the forecast wrong, saying he’ll use acupuncture, a hyperbaric chamber, pretty much anything to speed the healing process.

Here’s the story on Metro and his desire to be back much sooner than later.

1. cautiousoptimist says:

There you go farting rainbows again.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  2. Say Ash says:

Yes, but to Ryder’s credit, his paper airplanes have become markedly better over that same time frame

3. pic1983 says:

I dunno, I think we’ve proven to MArty that we can get to him.  Also, hes going to be fatigued from playing so many games, and if his past few playoff performances are any indication, I think we have a fair shot.  The penguins are the team i really dont want to see in the first round.  Even though they arent entirely healthy, they’ll have us beaten mentally before the puck ever drops.  I dont think the pens are poised for a cup defense, they just arent good enough this year in my opinion, but they definitely have our number, and its not a good match up for us IMO.

4. jimmy shaker says:

That makes me feel better!

Shaker

5. jimmy shaker says:

I think we can knock off anybody not named new jersey or marty brodeur.  I’ll take my chances with Pitts, wash or  Buffalo!

Shaker

6. smiler2729 says:

Me too. Caps blow hot air! Habs cans hut ’em down.

7. habs11s says:

Looks like Michael Ryder’s stats…..

___________________________________________________________________________

8. dh says:

Used to be my list until this year when the Flyers replaced the Bruins.  Hopefully they don’t take out any of our guys for the season at the next game.

9. SmartDog says:

These are the kind of guys you win championships with.Guys that konw when and how to elevate their game.  A grinder who’s also a top power play forward.  There’s real value there.

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

10. showey47 says:

I agree about metro’s attitude and character. He is like the anti-tanguay,if the reports last year were true about him being medically cleared to play in the playoffs but didn’t want to.

11. adesbarats says:

Many of you will think I’m crazy. Heck my wife thinks I’m crazy so get in line but…..

I am secretly (public now) hoping that we finish in 8th place as I really believe we have our best chance against Washington. We always seem to play well against them and their high octane, outscore the opponent style of play is (IMHO) the easiest for us to play against and neutralize.

12. adesbarats says:

I love this guy! I sure hope we find a way to keep him after this year.

13. SmartDog says:

This is exactly the kind of attitude I want on my team.

We need to keep him (and obvioulsy Plekanec) and get rid of the whiners (LaPierre) and the clumsy (Mara), add a big scoring forward and call up PK.  That’s your team next year… could be mighty nice!

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

14. SmartDog says:

How about this:

a) no two people are the same.

b) we’ve already got too many NHLers on D right now

————————————————————-
    Not signing or trading Pleks = yet another missed opportunity.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

I think the Habs feel they might have rushed Carey Price. Although they could not really have kept him in the AHL last year, he had his head turned by the fast money and loose women. As would anyone.

16. SegerHabs says:

Any combination of: (4 Montreal wins/Atlanta Regulation Losses) and (4 Montreal Wins/NYR Regulation Losses) will eliminate those teams.

I know people like saying that they don’t want to get into the playoffs because other teams lose…but that is hockey. What difference is a loss in October than April? The reason Montreal is where they are is because they win some and lose some…just like all other teams. Is Atlanta behind Montreal by 2 points now because of the game they lost Monday night or because of a game they lost in November to the Islanders? I would love if Montreal won the final 6 games and got the 12 points, but losses happen. So if ATL/NYR lose 2 in regulation and the Habs win 2, then Montreal will be in.

17. Mill4ever says:

Canadiens management is afraid that the same that happened to Latendresse or Price happens to PK. Even though i think he could handle being in the spotlight. But then again this is Montreal and we all know Montreal media…

18. Rusty says:

Explain this to me – P.K. Subban was the superior D-man at the 2009 World Juniors in Ottawa. Sweden’s Erik Karlsson was splendid, but P.K. was much better, more important to his team, simply above Karlsson. Now Karlsson is one of the Sens’ best defensemen, piling up points in the NHL for a team bound for the playoffs, while P.K. is in the minors. Subban could change the dynamics on the team as we are screaming for a puck-moving defenseman with PP skills.

19. Mr.Hazard says:

STANDINGS:

6- PHI: 76 GP, 82 PTS
    7- MTL: 76 GP, 82 PTS
    8- BOS: 76 GP, 82 PTS
    9- ATL:  77 GP, 80 PTS
    10- NYR: 76 GP, 78 PTS

Atlanta and NYR are the only things holding us back from a playoff spot… If we maintain the same win % as those two teams, we will make the post-season. Right? Regardless, I don’t like that 3-way tie business.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

20. Say Ash says:

Tanguay: 81 pts, 58 pts, 41 pts, 35 pts…I’m no scientitian, but I see a trend here…

21. ParrySoundHabber says:

golly gee(meeker) it’s a Metro love fest ….i posted just before and now that i read down several lines….it’s a love fest! where’s all the cat’s who detested the Metro signing?   lol

he’s my fave hab….even on my profile and has been since i sat there for 2 hours deciding when i finally signed up after 2 years of lurking.

GO HABS GO and GET WELL OUR CAPTAIN “METRO”

“Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.”

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

22. ParrySoundHabber says:

pretty sad when Metro’s misfortune garner almost 2/3’s less comments than the signing of Nash. You thought the PP was hurting lately? watch out. Our Captain is down but he will bounce back fast! this is his dream and he wears it well.

goodnight.

Jean Beliveau

~If winning wasn’t important we wouldn’t keep score.

23. ooder says:

yup.. the same guy who is know completly and utterly useless with tampa bay

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

24. WindsorHab-10 says:

We’ll see how bad this team wants to make the playoffs starting with the Canes tomorrow. We control where we finish, so it will either be playoffs or golf.

25. ProHabs says:

New Jersey is the other Mickey Mouse club as per Wayne Gretzky.

In the following season, the Devils were publicly humiliated by Wayne Gretzky after they were blown out 13-4 by his team, the Edmonton Oilers. Gretzky was upset that former teammate Ron Low played for what he considered an inferior team, and in a post-game interview said:

“Well, it’s time they got their act together, folks. They’re ruining the whole league. They had better stop running a Mickey Mouse organization and put somebody on ice.”

Later, Gretzky publicly admitted that his comment went too far, but privately maintained that his comment was accurate. In response, many Devils fans wore Mickey Mouse apparel when the Oilers returned to New Jersey.

26. Mikey_39 says:

Don’t forget Gorges…Near death experience and he still doesn’t miss a game…and he’s become pretty solid in defense.

27. light_n_tasty says:

Didn’t Tanguay miss like 30 games last year, and 2 playoff games, with the same injury, and then whine and complain in the offseason that the team ‘rushed’ him back?

28. spos080808 says:

Everyone knows you are a Leafs fan so just end this nonsense!

29. HabsFanInTampa says:

No, that’s Anaheim that’s owned by Disney!

30. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Yes, dawg. Metro is in da house! Well.. he will be after 6 weeks.

31. ooder says:

and people wanted to get rid of him beacuse he took a bad penalty two games in a row lol

this guy is da shit

——————

32. crabvader says:

Metro is the man. Moen too. They are the men.

33. TOEmastro says:

especially when the Canadians ignore him

34. ProHabs says:

What is with all the lovin’ for the Devils. They are a Mickey Mouse club.

I am sure the team sees it that way. The fans, I am not so sure, what with all the bean counting and multiple scenarios if this team loses so many games or that team doesn’t win that many ad nauseum. Get in by winning and you’re not just in but you’ll make some noise. Get in by the skin of your teath on a losing streak and you don’t deserve to be even if you get there at all and we all know how good a team like that can be.

That’s what was so deceptive about that mini-winning streak. It looked like the team finally gelled, the system kicked in and everything fell into place. Mind you the Habs record since the break is still better than respectable but they need to win 2 of 3 games from here on in and not 1 of 2 as they did all season unless they wanna book some early tee time.

36. BKAK72 says:

The standings today are the closest ATLANTA will be to make the playoffs. 5 GR for them, 2x PENSand 2x CAPS. The trouble for me remains the small FWDs and swiss chees DEF. This isn’t a great roster, its .500 and that’s enough for a squeeze into the playoffs and early exit. That just doesn’t sit well with me.

— I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! —

37. The Juice says:

I agree with Timo here. NJ is a team I respect, like Buffalo. Unlike Boston, Toronto, Philly…

38. The Juice says:

LOL Timo, if one thing’s a constant it’s your negativity. Things are never as bad as you say. Both Boston and Atlanta lost yesterday, at home, in regulation, what more could you have asked for. At least now we have a game in hand on them for a change. Doesn’t matter anyways, Habs win 2 more games and they are a shoe in. 86 points. Believe it.

39. ABHabsfan says:

Glen Metropolit has been an inspiration to fans and (I hope) players as well. The man just loves every day that he is in the NHL. I hope for his and the habs sake that we se him again this year and hopefully for at least a couple years after that. After that he should be given placement in the organization in some capacity. The man makes me want to keep playing and I have never even met him. I think I can still make the show!

40. Bugs says:

Scouting at the Spengler Cup???

Eddie, c’mon.

Eddie?

C’mon.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

41. Bugs says:

It would take Hulk Hogan on his best day reminiscing that in his day, he could wish for the perfect day when he could keep Metro down for the count.

(sniff)

Godspeed, Metro. Goo’luck; go’bless.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

42. avatar_58 says:

So if they lost the habs wouldn’t be? I don’t see how other’s success changes anything the habs have or have not done. All that matters are THEIR games.

43. hab lifer says:

you mean the very same Pouliot, who nobody wanted because he’s a floater. guess what? he’s still a floater!

practiced yesterday on the 4th line. looks more like a top bust.

44. Willy the bum says:

I agree on Metro.  Bullsh*t.

———–

“…BULLSH*T…” -Glen Metropolit

45. habsperspective says:

And what the FKKK is up whith Ottawa both of there longest winning streaks have to start with the Habs!

Man I despise Ottawa, and Alf!

46. dufour says:

I know its hard not to focus on the teams behind hind us, but personally I like to focus on the ones ahead of me. Have you ever tried to run looking behind you? I bet your not going to run as fast as you would looking forward. I realize its not the same situation, but the Habs control their fate here, not Boston or Atlanta. If I was on this team, that is how I would look at it.

“How would you like a job where when you made a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” Jacques Plante

47. ed lopaz says:

yup! good reply!

48. ed lopaz says:

I remember watching Metro play in the Spengler Cup – that’s where I believe he was scouted for his first stint in the NHL.

This guy has done everything possible to make an NHL career a reality.

He has come from Toronto’s toughest and poorest neighborhood, and made it against all odds.

There is a place for Metro on my team any day.

I believe that this is the type of player a good team should pay for.

We all will agree that he (and Darche by the way) are inspirations – players that we can appreciate and relate to.

I graduated from Mcgill in 1986 – Darche is the first Mcgill graduate to EVER make the NHL.

49. mrhabby says:

the system they play sucks period. talkes all the fun out of the game.

50. mrhabby says:

hats off to metro..go for broke…looks like tomorrow is a must win game….close as hell.

51. sag says:

Agreed Pro, I hate the devils too…not as much as the Bruins though, not ever.  They bore me to death.

Six games left and a log jam between the 6-10 teams.  We all knew it would happen, so enjoy the suspense everyone!  I think Price will play against Carolina and will play huge, pushing Halak’s status as starter. Carey has a massive payback of karma coming for unlucky goals and a lack of goal support – and has been good in his recent starts.

The goalies pushing each other so much at the start of the playoffs is such an enviable situation for the Habs.  We have double the chance of a goalie going on a playoff long hot streak.  One coach’s contraversy is another one’s dream.

52. ProHabs says:

You list looks very similar to mine with the Flyers rounding out my worst 5. SH Sharks are getting close also after the last meeting between the Habs and them and because they have Danny Heatley.

53. Stooof says:

Anyone else notice that the sens went on two winning streaks RIGHT after beating the habs first.  Bloody hell.

stupid sens.

54. light_n_tasty says:

Don’t we already have 2 top-5 picks?

Also, Buffalo is 1 pt behind Pitt. with a game at hand.

55. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

METROPOLIT! What a guy!

How can you not love him?

56. Les-Habitants says:

I honestly think the Habs could beat any team in the East, but one.  Yes, we might be the underdogs to the Pens and Caps, but we’ve beaten both teams at home and we could beat them in a series.

There is only one team we don’t stand a prayer (pun intended) against, and that is the Devils.

You know a team has made a deal with the Devil when they bleed the talent New Jersey has yet remain a contending team, year in, year out.

57. Les-Habitants says:

They are my no. 4….but, of all the teams in the NHL, none compare to my hatred of the Bruins.  Leafs are the clear 2nd, and my 3rd is the Canes….freakin’ upstart, sunbelt team that has no right to a cup…if they hadn’t had poked Koivu’s eye out well…!!!!!  ugh… lol

58. hab lifer says:

looks like habs will  again be backing in.

will play Wash,or Pitt.,  out 4 straight.

so what the point of  making  the playoffs if you’re going to be gone in less than 1 week? really? doesn’t a top 5 draft pick sound better?  what a waste of time. 17 years of the same squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze into 8th place, be eliminated in 4 straight, and next year do the exact same thing all over again.

talk about GROUND HOG DAY!

59. ProHabs says:

Man do I ever hate the NJ Devils, I think even more than the Leafs and the Bruins. First of all they play the most boring style of hockey ever which is torture to watch, then they beat the Habs and loss to the Flyers and the Bruins. Thanks alot New F. Jersey.

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

22 Glen Metropolits on Our Team ? = the 25th Cup

…You need as much HEART and CHARACTER to win a Cup as talent …Glen has At Least the heart & character

…hope the Other Guys on Our Team are hearin’ that it ain’t only ’bout the paycheck

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY