Metro hopes he’s not done as a Canadien

Canadiens’ Glen Metropolit with his son Max, 5, during an outdoor skate this past winter.
Courtesy Evelyn Jerassy

Glen Metropolit had planned to take his 8-year-old daughter, Alivia, to a birthday party Sunday and clown around with his 5-year-old son, Max. Instead, he spent two hours in the Bell Centre clinic having a painful separated shoulder tended to by a member of the Canadiens’ athletic therapy staff.

An unrestricted free agent come season’s end, Metro hopes he’s not played his final game in a Canadiens jersey after an open-ice collision Saturday finished his game against New Jersey after just 1:21 and two shifts. He expects he’ll have an MRI early this week on what the Canadiens are calling only an “upper-body injury;” many people, however, saw the 35-year-old veteran leaving the Bell Centre with his left arm in a sling.

More details here in a feature on the versatile Metropolit and the road that lies ahead, with the Canadiens this morning beginning preparations for Wednesday’s home game vs. Carolina.

1. cautiousoptimist says:

Theyv’e gotta re-sign him — he makes just $1M a year, leads by example, does all that’s asked of him and more, and surely would re-sign without a huge raise.  Moen is earning his $1.5M, and that’s likely a good bit more than Metro will make next year.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  2. SLONCOLD says:

lol made my day

3. RetroMikey says:

I agree with you showey47, if we had won with Halk in the nets, I truly believe we could have gone far in the playoffs that season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

4. nunacanadien says:

Metropolit won us some game early in the year, and he should be rewarded for that especially if we manage to squeak into the playoffs.  What has Laps done for the Habs lately?

5. lavie says:

Sign him who is one of the Habs who have higher points per dollar (salary) on Habs roster. lol

6. nunacanadien says:

Say wasn’t Price in nets for that horrible loss?  And here we were pushing for Halak to play that time too!

7. nunacanadien says:

I bet you any amount of money that Pierre Gauther and Bob Gainey forced Carbo to play Price in the 4 up and 4 down loss that had hockey wives rioting in the streets all around the world it seems…..next we’ll see if PG and BG force JM to again play Price 4 up and 4 down once Price and Halak team up to save us a playoff spot….and then fire JM for their decision?

8. twocents says:

Both Bergeron and Pouliot have produced more points per dollar of salary this season.

9. lavie says:

Sign him who has the most points per dollar on Habs roster.

10. Kooch7800 says:

Metro has a fantastic story and really helped out the habs when they needed him with all of the injuries.  I hate to even say it but he will not be back as a hab next year.  With being so tight on the cap they have young cheaper guys they can put in his role.  I will miss him next year as I am sure a lot of guys will on the team.  I would not be suprised if Boston doesn’t sign him back again

11. showey47 says:

Carbo dropped the ball huge in that game. Jaro was the only reason we were in a position to claim a playoff spot at that point. He should have gone with the guy who got him there,not the guy who hadn’t played a full game in 2 months.

12. jimmy shaker says:

Sign him!!!!!!

Shaker

13. ShangaDoo says:

I agree.

I love Metro, very disappointed if he did not return

14. Lafrich says:

You can often tell a lot about someone by their face. Metro has a “nice’ face – just look at that pic above. That alone wold make me happy if we signed him for more years. But he does not need any sympathy – he has earned it by his play and demeanor. 1. He accepts his role as a 3rd/4th liner. 2. He is happy to be a Hab. 3. He is a pretty consistent performer. 4. He is a low salary hit. The Habs would be insane not to keep him for 1-2 more years.

15. J Haul says:

I know you’re just trying to find parallels, but I think your memory is a little fogy. Jaro actually lost his last start (and a chance to clinch the playoffs) before that showdown with the Leafs. The Rangers scored 3 goals on 25 shots and Huet replaced Halak in the third period.

I think Jaro only actually played 9 down the stretch, the team going 7-2, after Aebischer (who just previously had a mini 2-3 game good run of his own) stunk it up. If you want to go back a few more starts to make it the last 10 for Halak, then the team was actually 7-3. A very good run that came up just short. After that they went to their “go-to guy” at the time.

I’m not disagreeing that it might have been the wrong decision to play a “bound to be rusty” Huet, but it was a tough call either way.

It’s either the go-to guy coming off injury or the streaking backup (technically 3rd stringer) that just had his chance to clinch and didn’t.

16. WindsorHab-10 says:

Guys, lets not talk playoffs and what we’re going to do until we get there.

Please & thank you.

17. HABZ24 says:

hope metro returns with habs. he is a hard working, gritty get it done player, we need others to play with his passion. now who will be in nets with halak losing ?

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Metro has half the native talent a lot of players have …but had the heart and dedication to make the most of what He had …and He has been a prominent part of the heart transplant provided Our Team this season

…it will be very sad if He can not enjoy these playoffs

…come back soon

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

19. Da Hema says:

It was I who smitted thy nemesis, not the Pagan Hockey Gods. Rejoice in my Glory!

And you are welcome!

;-)

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

20. CHsam says:

I’d hate to see Metro go. He deserves a chance to stay for a few more years and settle with his family in Montreal.

21. andrewberkshire says:

About 3 minutes in a very young PK Subban did his patented spinerama! HA!

22. andrewberkshire says:

The Penguins won last year with a worse defense than we have, and a weaker goalie. They do have bigger forwards though. That Sidney Crosby kid is a whopping 5’11″, way bigger than Plekanec and Gomez who are both… Oh never mind.

23. I_SAY_FIGHT says:

was the best b-day gift i ever had a stanly cup win on my bday

24. sidhu says:

I’m hoping Metro comes back, at the same salary.   He’s a class act, great story, and he’s scored more than his fair share this season.

25. sidhu says:

Well said — and tonight Carcillo got an intent to injure game misconduct.  No respect for these goons.

26. SeriousFan09 says:

The hockey gods continue to smite the Flyers for their lack of class and goon hockey tactics with the goalies that are fated upon them. Let them suffer I say and let us rejoice in it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. Mr.Hazard says:

Philadelphia goaltending, from NHL.com:

“The Flyers were trying to snap a five-game losing streak and [goaltender Brian] Boucher was
    1-8-3 since Dec. 14. He was also playing without a safety net. His
    backup goaltender was Carter Hutton,
    the former UMASS-Lowell goalie who had all of four AHL games
    professional experience before getting called up on an emergency basis
    after Johan
    Backlund
    tweaked his groin on Saturday.”

Brian Boucher? Carter Hutton? Johan Backlund??

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

28. mbplekfan says:

metro playing with pain is not what i was getting at.

He doesnt fight, doesnt dish out physical punishment and cant outmuscle larger players. We have lots of guys like that when we need a few size large (6″3 or bigger) guys who can fight when needed and play shutdown, physical hockey.

Metro has been a very good fill in considering Gainey’s other plans didnt work out (see Lapierre, and Chipper).

29. Say Ash says:

Don’t joke like that – he might get traded back!

30. Bryan says:

While the first 2 are just way too pessismistic, how can you say that the Halak and Price are average?  Both are most certainly ABOVE average.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

31. Mattyleg says:

Metro not tough? I dunno, only missed 6 games earlier with rib injury (which is a killer, trust me!) and wasn’t ever afraid to get his hands dirty.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Mattyleg says:

Delicious.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. Mattyleg says:

What a loser comment.

Go support another team.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Mattyleg says:

You’ve been nothing but a heart-and-soul player, and I’ve been proud to see you in La Flannelle. Come back to us healthy next year if it’s a season-ender. You’ve still got fantastic hands and a work ethic that’s second-to-none. I’ve never seen you drift out there.

What would Montreal be without the Metro??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

35. light_n_tasty says:

This is the reason why I never bash Bob Cole.  You can just hear the excitement in his voice: “And a 24th banner will hang from the forum in Montreal!”

36. habsperspective says:

They have to beat Carolina no question, however they’ve played spoiler well lately…Either way looking at the schedule, I realize both Boston, and Atlanta play both Monday and Tuesday, to the point when the Habs take to the ice Wednesday night they could be sitting tied in 8th/9th.

37. BKAK72 says:

When have you ever seen a team win a Stanley Cup with:  (a) midget FWDS, (b) poor DEF and (c) avg GOAL?

That should answer your question for the next 5 years given the current contract obligations.

– I will not apologize for being a delirious HABS fan! –

38. WestHab says:

would you really say that to his face?

39. pathockey1 says:

If it really is a shoulder seperation then he’ll be back before the playoffs start. I too seperated my shoulder playing hockey this year. They told me average recovery time is 2-3 weeks but I was feeling great after 1 and a half. Unless its a very severe seperation, which judging by the hit i doubt is the case, he’ll be back soon.

40. WestHab says:

thanks for the recall.  It was a tough year for me and my family and that win certainly was a great escape.

41. Ayan_SB says:

This video gives me chills. I wonder if we’ll get to witness another Stanley Cup win in Montreal in the near future.

42. WestHab says:

The Montreal Metro, can’t go anywhere without it.

43. WestHab says:

You are the best, tasty!

44. Chorske says:

You think so? I’m not so sure.

Pretty snide post either way

45. Mr. Biter says:

Love to see Metro come back next Year. Plays tough every shift and the reason he leads us in power play goals is he knows his place which is in front of the opposition goalie unlike some of the other habs. His salary, I have no idea what it will take to keep him here but from what i have seen coming up from the Bulldogs ( not bashing anyone) there is no one who will score 16-20 goals on the 4th line. Fire Laps into the Sh@ter (70 games 6 goals 6 assists -15 ) there’s a player we need to keep. However if Metro does not return this season and is not willing to take a pay cut he will be gone. Souray , Komo, Lang, Schneider and Tanguay all ended the season with injuries and were not offered contracts at all or at lower than the value they thought they were worth and all have either had injury plagued careers since (Souray and now Komo) after or played in the AHL (Schneider) or not played well at all this year (Tanguay & Lang). Whowever does the injury evaluations for the Habs has done an excellent job. May not be polular with the fans but has saved tons of money.BTW someone keeps bring Chirs Higgins name up for us to bring back. Since going to Calgary 2goals (one empty net) and 1 assist in 12 games. We need like we need another Laps.

46. RS says:

You’re optimistic! What makes you think we can hang on to 8th? Atlanta is on our tail, and I don’t see us winning many more games. Anyone think we can beat the Leafs in the last game of the season? I sure don’t.

47. Ayan_SB says:

PK Subban has two younger brothers playing AAA hockey, one who plays defence and another who’s a goalie.

48. mbplekfan says:

Metro is an awesome depth forward. A great guy to have around in case of injuries and days off for regulars. But our team is in desperate need of some toughness and size and unfortunately Metro doesnt fit that bill.

I would sign him to a minimum contract with the intention of playing him about half the time. Ryan White is bigger and tougher (though not big enough) and Chipchura was supposed to replace him this year but we still need an upgrade for everyday fourth line center.

Maybe that huge swede can make the team. Endqvist or something.

49. WindsorHab-10 says:

LOL.

50. light_n_tasty says:

I doubt we could take the Caps in 4 games…maybe 6?

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Glen Sather’s ready to sign him for the Rags, 5 million a year for 7 years.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. RetroMikey says:

Hey don’t give up!  We’re healthy!  We have a system!  We can beat the up and coming Carolina Hurricanes in the n 2 games we face them, we can beat Toronto easily as we were supposed to do in TO last week, we can beat Buffalo no problem and the same goes when we play Philadelphia,  A piece of cake.

Wake up RetroMikey, it’s a dream, it’s a dream.

Yep, the last game against the Leafs  could determine our playoff fate and this reminds me of the 2006-07 season where we played the Leafs in the last game.

We all know who played in the nets for us which lost the game for us and we all know  Halak should have tended in the nets.  Afterall, he gave us a chance to make the playoffs with his unbeaten streak in the last 10 games that season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

53. sholi2000.com says:

He won’t be back as a Canadien.  I wonder if someone will pay him 2 million because the Habs made him famous for a year?

They call me Shane

54. Nick_Habs1 says:

The habs will fall to 8th and face the Caps…..out in 4! S%*%*%T.

55. Xtrahabsfan says:

Thank -you Glen for a good run and hope the shoulder thing is not chronic (looks like time has caught up to you my friend that was not a hard hit) again good luck and goodbye……

56. Les Habitants says:

its going to come down the last game of the season agaisnt the leaf, and we all no what happen a few years back..

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

57. zak says:

If BG was still gm Metro would br gone just like TTB.Hope PG hangs on to Metro too.

58. Danno says:

Hope Metro has full and speedy recovery. He has a big heart and plays with lots of passion. I hope he’s back soon.

Great article about a great guy, Dave Stubbs.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

59. habsperspective says:

Philly wins, pushes us to 7th!  A Boston win, and Atlanta win tomorrow would push us to 8th, only 2 points up on Atlanta!

This team doesnt make the playoffs unless they win 4 of there last 6 games!

Seems like its gonna come down to the last game against the Leafs!

60. Les Habitants says:

hay buddy was not that huet in the net, in that horrible game….

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

61. showey47 says:

I really don’t think we would have gotten past the first round that year. We were a pretty bad team with a great powerplay. Pretty much every player in our lineup was a minus player,some real bad ones too. I think we had 4 or 5 guys in the -20 to -30 area. Compared to this year where most of our guys are plus players. But you know,anything can happend in the post season. So who knows. All i remember from that night was being so pissed at carbo when it was announced that huet would start,when halak clearly deserved to be the go to guy.

62. habssince1909 says:

Hoping that this is not the last we see of Metro – he has a huge heart and lots of grit too – I would be sad to see him go.

63. avatar_58 says:

The sentiment is shared Glen – come back to us

64. HabFanSince72 says:

Sad to say but I doubt very much that he is coming back.

Good guy though.

65. showey47 says:

I’d like to see glen to come back as our 4th line center. Would love to give him bigger and more punishing linemates like stortini and artyukhin though.

66. topher5468 says:

That would be nice, I like Metro as well, hes a good hardworking player that has good skills as well.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

67. Xtrahabsfan says:

showey, you and I never agree on anything(zip nilch noda)we don’t even get along but for one thing A  R  T  U  K  H  I  N  ! T he Habs need this athlete in the worst way and I think we should all petition to aquire him in the off season!

68. HabFanSince72 says:

Brodeur is getting lit-up by Philly. Three goals on 16 shots.

69. Les Habitants says:

yes because he save is best for habs….

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

70. RudeMood19 says:

he should be back

71. joeybarrie says:

I think for the price, his work ethic, and especially his production this season we should pick him up for next season. He is the best 4th line center in the league…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

72. Willy the bum says:

He’s one of the big part of the team, doing everything to keep the last two lines productive and bringing the power plays up to its league.  Not to mention a killer smile that could’ve made him a cameo on The Tooth Fairy with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.

Sure he’s past his prime, but he got heart.  And I’m sure hate to see him trade or sign to a different team if his contract is not renew.  If so, I’ll cheer for him on his success.

P.S. The shoulder, eh? Yeah I got that before… take about a week or two to heal.  Piece of cake.

73. Top Corner says:

Hope he does too!

METROOOO!!!

on another note…… Marty FFFFF. Broduer…..did the HABS tire yah out last night???  F’n philly…EGHHH

74. Vancouver Hab Fan says:

A lot of heart but he’s not been playing as well over the last half of the year. Letting him go and making room for someone from the Bulldogs, who can offer more upside, is the way to go. Though I would keep Metro over Lapierre, clearly I am hoping Lapierre is gone!

75. matraque says:

I would take Laps over Metro any day.  Younger, faster and cheaper.

Metro will NEVER EVER have another season like this one.  And you will bitch about it.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

76. Nina76 says:

I agree. I like metro better than Lapierre he has done nothing. I wish Metro well & a speedy recovery.to-morrow nite is the nite for a win if we don’t we are toast…GO HABS GO!!!!!!

77. ManApart says:

You missed the key word. Better! Oh ya, he’s not even close to as good as Metro, sorry.

78. WestHab says:

The big problem is that Laps won’t have a season like Metro’s either.

79. Mattyleg says:

Touché!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

80. shootdapuck says:

No comparison between the two!

Metro is more bang for the buck than LALA could ever hope to be!

Metro is a real team player LALA is a superstar in his own mind( and the minds of two or three idiots on RDS)only.

No more free passes in 2010-2011!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

81. ManApart says:

Or, more accurately, the Habs saved their worst for him.

82. HabFanSince72 says:

Our shooters have a habit of making journeymen look like Marty Brodeur.

Last night we even made  Marty Brodeur look like Marty Brodeur.

(Who got pulled tonight after giving up 4 on 19 shots)

83. showey47 says:

X,all because we rarely agree with,doesn’t mean i have hard feelings towards you or anybody else i disagree with. In the end i’m sure we both have the same common goal. But probably differ on the path we take to get there. In the end all we both want is to win. I’ve wanted artyukhin for 3 years,and he is a ufa this summer.

84. REB says:

R2KIN is a ufa this summer? I didn’t know that.  If you go back thru my posts, you’ll note that I would have traded a LOT for Vinny and R2K when they were both in Tampa. He is HUGE, and can be very punishing (ask Tanguay!)…and I would LOVE to have him in Mtl.