Merry CHristmas from HIO!

HIOElves
And a Habby New Year.
Or at least a happier 2012 than the dying days of 2011.
This just isn’t a fun time to be a fan of your Montreal Canadiens.

We could do a Twelve Days of Christmas parody on everything that ails the team – Four soft defencemen, three francophones, two power forwards and a Martin in a Pearn tree – but it would be difficult to restrict the list to a dozen headaches.

Or A Christmas Carol, with Bob Gainey as Scrooge and Carbo as Jacob Marley … featuring Andrei Markov as Tiny Tim.

How the Grinchier Stole Christmas?

Enough!

There will be ample time, as the season wears on (and we use the verb advisedly) to fret, agonize and vent our spleen on what has befallen one of the proudest franchises in professional sports.

But on the eve of Dec. 25, let’s just join together in hoping for peace on earth and goodwill toward everyone who isn’t a Bruins fan.

Let’s put hockey on the back burner for a couple days and turn the rest of the of stove over to whipping up the delights that make this the most wonderful and fattening time of the year.

And may we suggest taking a moment to count your blessings.

If Mike Cammalleri’s scoring slump, P.K.’s maturation or Randy Cunneyworth’s unilingualism is your biggest problem, you’re doing better than most of the people on this planet.

1. aommqq says:

http://top4biz com
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    http://top4biz com
    Jeans price is $34,Door to Door services!
    5 days arrive your home or you

2. kungpowchicken says:

A Merry Xmas to all Hab fans, old and new, young and old. Keep the faith and always know that as faithful followers of the Habs we stand united for decades to come. We are family and have much to cheer for. Never ever ever give up my friends. From the desk of Kungpow in BC who grew up in Lachine, QC. Looking forward to watching the Habs in Vancouver in March! I remember watching Carey Price in Kelowna when he played for Tri City, also, watched Duncan Keith in Penticton and Kelowna, Shea Weber in Kelowna and Malkin at the World Junior’s in Kelowna. Such great history…but the best was the Habs as a kid at the Montreal Forum …. yes!!! First game was a Habs win vs. the Blues 7-2. Sat high in the blues but it was great! Will never forget it..didnt want to blink to miss one second of action. Remember the first second of action as i entered the forum and was mesmerized….still am at age 45. Some things will never change. My love for the Habs is one of those things. Thank God for RDS!

3. RGM says:

Hope that everybody had a great Christmas. Mine was filled with Habs goodies as usual – two new player shirts (Price & Subban) and a pair of Josh Gorges game-used gloves are the headliners.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

4. Le Jadester says:

Merry Christmas to all !

My Christmas wish……for Emelin to finally score his first NHL goal, sooner rather than later !

Take care y’all.

Habs, OLE !

5. idle says:

Merry Christmas Habs In er…. Hockey Inside Out

Hope all your wishes came true

6. podbay says:

.: Wishing everyone at HIO and everyone who posts a very Merry Christmas from Edmonton and all the best in 2012! The Habs will rise again – have faith everyone!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!

Timo – out.

8. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Totally off topic – but man.. just watched the movie Inception.
    That thing boggles with your mind.. holy cow.
    A very, very creative movie – one of the best I have ever seen.
    I highly recommend it for those who haven’t seen it. I am becoming a Nolan fan now. Can’t wait for the Dark Knight Rises.

9. AceMagnum says:

Merry Christmas to everyone …even though I don’t celebrate…

But especially to Romeo Valeur du Cunney, he will win a Stanley Cup with Buffalo as head coach next year and I will root for him.

“Horton Hears a Boo”
    -Mike Boone April 2011

10. Mattyleg says:

Here’s my Xmas present to the HI/O family:
    The finished version of…

Lovesong of J. Alfred Martin
    (with apologies to TS Eliot)

LET us go then, you and I,
    When the evening is spread out against the Montreal sky
    Like Gomez or MaxPac or Markov etherized upon a table;
    Let us go, through certain half-deserted Plateau streets,
    The muttering retreats
    Of restless nights in front of RDS
    And sawdust brasseries with Molson Ex:
    Streets that follow like a tedious argument
    Of insidious online posters’ intent
    To lead you to an overwhelming question….
    Oh, do not ask, “Will they fire PG?”
    Let us go and take on Philly.

In the locker room the reporters come and go
    Talking of PK, Gill and Gio.

The yellow Flyer that rubs its opponents upon the plexiglass,
    The yellow Bruin that rubs our muzzles on the plexiglass
    Licked its tongue into the corners of the offensive zone,
    Lingered upon the crease and stood in screens,
    Let fall upon its back the checking that falls from d-men,
    Slipped by the slot, made a sudden snap,
    And seeing that it was a soft October night,
    Curled once about the ice, on a victory lap.

And indeed there will be time
    For the yellow Bruin that slides along the boards,
    Rubbing its back upon the plexiglass panes;
    There will be time, there will be time
    To prepare a check to meet the faces of the hordes;
    There will be time to murder and get goals,
    And time for all the works and days of hands
    That lift and drop a puck through the five-hole;
    Time for you and time for me,
    And time yet for a hundred coaching indecisions,
    And for a hundred GM’s visions and line-revisions,
    Before the taking of a steamie and a 50.

In the locker room the reporters come and go
    Talking of PK, Hal and Gio.

And indeed there will be time
    For Jacques to wonder, “Do I dare?” and, “Gomez centers second?”
    Time to turn back from the Cup that beckoned,
    With a bald spot in the middle of his hair—
    (They will say: “How his hair is growing thin!”)
    His morning coat, his collar mounting firmly to the chin,
    His #11 rich and modest, but offset by a goofy grin—
    (They will say: “But how his strategy is thin!”)
    Do I dare
    Disturb the blogoverse?
    In a minute there is time
    For decisions and line-revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known teams all already, known them all:
    Have known the Panthers, Sens, Blues, though not the Ducks,
    I have measured out my life with hockey pucks;
    I know the voices laughing at a Pouliot fall
    Beneath the music from a locker room.
    So how should I presume?

And I have known the reporters’ eyes already, known them all—
    The eyes that fix you in a formulated phrase,
    And when I am questioned, sprawling for a spin,
    When I am pinned, ears wiggling on the press-conference wall,
    Then how should I begin
    To spit out all the platitudes of my matches and scratches?
    And how should I presume?

And I have known GMs already, known them all—
    GMs that are Cup-Ringed and rich and bold
    (But in the boardroomlight, seemingly robed in gold!)
    Is it dreams of doing deals
    That keep me off the highlight reels?
    Deals that lie across a table, or curl around a conference call.
    And should I then presume?
    And how should Gomez fit in?

Shall I say, I have gone at dusk through Montreal streets
    And watched the TVs that shine from the windows
    Of lonely men in replica jerseys, sitting on the edge of sofas?…

I should have been a pair of ragged skates
    Shuffling across the ice of silent rinks.
    . . . . . . . .

(part two below)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

11. Mattyleg says:

(cont’d)

All the afternoon, the evening, noting so fretfully!
    Scribbled by long fingers,
    Players … injured … some say malingers,
    Or sat on the bench, here before Randy and me.
    Should I, after timeout and the other team that ices,
    Have the strength to force the moment in its crisis?
    But though I have crept and defended, noted and prayed,
    Though I have seen my head (grown slightly bald) brought in upon a blogger’s platter,
    I am no prophet—and here’s no great matter;
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Bell Centre Usher hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

And would it have been worth it, after all,
    After the Cup runs, the playoffs, PG,
    Among the trophies, among some talk of Pearn and me,
    Would it have been worth while,
    To have bitten off the Gomez contract with a smile,
    To have squeezed the salary cap into a ball
    To roll it toward some overwhelming question,
    To say: “I am Markov, come from the dead,
    Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all”
    If one, standing behind the bench, turning his head,
    Should say: “That is not how I imagined the powerplay at all;
    That is not it, at all.”

And would it have been worth it, after all,
    Would it have been worth while,
    After the parade and the open-top bus and the confetti-sprinkled streets,
    After the book-deals, after the champagne, after the t-shirts printed the night before—
    And this, and rings, and so much more?—
    It would be impossible, if I didn’t speak French, to say just what I mean!
    But as if Mathieu Darche threw the goalie into spasms with a screen:
    Would it have been worth while
    If one, crossing his arms and muttering over a too-many-men call,
    And turning toward the assistant coach, should say:
    “That is not it at all,
    That is not the line change I meant, at all.”
    . . . . . . . .

No! I am not Prince Boucher, nor was meant to be;
    Am an attendant Lord Martin, one that will do
    To swell a payroll, change a line or two,
    Advise PG; no doubt, an easy tool,
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

It grows old … it grows old …
    I shall use The System rather than being bold.

Shall I park PK’s behind? Do I dare to fix my powerplay?
    Or shall I wear white flannel trousers, on the golf course in May?
    I have heard the fans singing, Olé olé olé.

I do not think that they will sing to me.

I have seen them skating into our zone in waves
    Making white hair of the fans’ brown and black,
    When the siren sounds to their cars head sadly back.

We have lingered in the chambers of the coach
    By desks wreathed with leather red and brown
    Till PG calls us, and we drown.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. slapshot777 says:

Happy holidays to all Habs fans here and everyone here on HIO.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and we all get what we want. For me right now would be a long winning streak for my Habs. From the Rock here in Newfoundland have a good nite.

13. durocher says:

Happy Holidays to the entire Habs I/O community, especially the writers who keep this site going. Our affinity (obsession) for the Habs requires us to have a forum in which to discuss (and lately languish over) our beloved team.

Here’s wishing everyone a good one!

• AliHaba says:

Want to wish everyone who contributes and/or reads this site a very joyous Christmas and all the best in 2012 (even the hippo who doesn’t think that Stanley Cup wins are the most important stat).

Go! Habs Go!

14. kempie says:

So, yes I’ve had a couple. But from what I can piece together, some cosmic Jewish zombie can make me live forever if I symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that I accept him as my master, so that he can remove an evil force from within my soul that is present in all of humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. And it’s his birthday? Well, like I said, I’ve had a couple so, sure why not?

Merry Xmas everybody. I love you all, even the ********. We’re all in this **** together. I hope everybody here has a fantastic couple of days, or a week or two. Whatever your thing is.

15. Canayens says:

Merry Christmas to everyone, especially Habs fans who, win or lose, are the most savvy hockey fans on earth. Don’t you think that Santa just loves to give what these savvyness deserves?

16. WVHabsfan says:

Hi Everyone. I have been reading this board for about a year or so. I have just decided that it is time to start posting.
    I can’t believe how messed up everything is here in Hab’s land. If I were the g m I wouldn’t even know where to begin to right this ship, if it even can be righted. Imo I can count on one hand how many players seem to actually care each night out in the ice. If we didn’t have Carey between the pipes, I don’t know where we would be right now. Sometimes I feel like a lot of you in that we just need to clean house and take this year as a loss. Thanks for letting me vent and I will start chiming in from time to time.

By the way, I am from the US and i live in West Virginia. That being said, i have a few questions about Habs fans in general. Anyone got a few minutes to answer them for me?

• SPATS says:

Welcome aboard, West Virginia Habsfan. I can try to answer your questions from a great distance (Victoria BC) I grew up a stones throw from the new habs practice facility in Brossard. I’ve been a diehard fan for over 40 years. My dad played for the junior habs in the 50′s and was on track to join the big club when Sam Pollack blacklisted him for refusing to report to Shawinigan. (He had just met my mom and fallen in love) I skipped school in 79 to attend my first parade, watched from Toe Blake’s tavern. I was also at game 7 in 93, and my uncle was the pa announcer in the 60′s. We had a cottage across the street from Scotty Bowman in Lancaster and Dad ended up going back to work for the NHL as official scorer. I worked at the old forum as a stage hand in the early 90′s. Whaddya wanna know my American friend? Just click on reply here or to any other volunteer with no life on Xmas eve…

PS Merry Christmas to all Habs I/O bloggers, reporters, journalists, commentators, posters and what the heck… Trolls need love too. Joyeux Noel, Happy Festivus etc etc

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• WVHabsfan says:

Hi Spats,

Thanks for taking some time to answer a few questions.

1. What do they fans sing the “Ole” song when there is still a large amount of time left to go in a game and we are only up by 1 goal? Thanks much. I will ask you something else at another time.

By the way, sweet that your dad played for the junior habs! I would love to have done that myself!!

Thanks,

WVHabsfan

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…’anyOne’ ??? …heck, there are a few hundred, if not thousands here with all the answers WVHabsFan …shoot !, ask away !
      …and duck Your head …because the answers will come flying like ICBMs :)
      …by the way …Merry Christmas

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• WVHabsfan says:

Thanks Habitant in Surrey!! Why do Habs fans in Montreal boo the team after just a bad period of hockey? I can kind of understand a game, but a period??

Thanks much!!!

WVHabsfan

• Ian Cobb says:

Michel Bosnic– Welcome aboard. You will be just fine here. As long as you remember, that my opinion is the way to go.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Peace On Earth, And Goodwill Towards All Men, Women and Children
    …Merry Christmas to Us ‘believers’ …and Happy Holidays to everyOne else
    …We are ALL God’s children
    …Go Habs ! …Go !!!

…Love & best wishes from Chris, Quent & Venus van Dyke, aka Habitant In Surrey :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

18. habstrinifan says:

Merry Christmas to EVERYONE!

There is probably no commemorative occasion more filled with GRACE and HOPE than Christmas.

May your home be graced with the blessings of PEACE and HEALTH and your prayers be filled with HOPE.

19. Merry xmas to the three elfs? GREAT PICTURE!!! Amingo’s what’s up? Santa is wishing for a win and a healthy Habs lineup? When will that be? Any updates on when habs nation will receive any good news on the injury front? All I want for xmas is……………

You all know what Habs fans would like? A winning streak and something to cheer about. Anyways, A very Merry Xmas to all Habs nation from the ROCK of Newfoundland. Proud to be a Habs fan and always will be one. Does 1969-70 ring a bell when the Habs pulled Rogan Vachon in order to score more goals to get into the playoffs. The Black Hawks score many open nets goals and what the habs could counter. Man do I ever remember that game when the score was 4-1 Chicago and our Habs went golfing!!!

To all a good night and many beers or rums, rye’s and vodka’s or what brand you drink, please do not drink and drive. God Bless!!

Go Habs Go!!!

20. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Remember, better to be a Habs fan even if they’re last in the League than a Leafs or Bruins fan.

Let’s cheer on Bournival, Gallagher and Beaulieau!

Messrs. Boone, Stubbs, Hickey and Cowan…many thanks for the many hours of distraction from work ;)

Eat, drink and be merry y’all!

21. WestHab says:

Can’t think of better timing for a reset.

all the best whishes from the west!

22. stevieray says:

I would like to wish all my HIO partners a Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous Healthy New Year. You are the most passionate /greatest fans of any professional sports team in the WORLD !
    enjoy the holidays with your loved ones …
    nuff said !

23. Frank2468 says:

When I was at the Florida game back in October and watched the Habs practice in Brassard, when I saw Pierre Gautier leave the facility his car had Vermont plates on them. I found it kind of weird that he had Vermont plates so I asked one of the workers. I was told he lives in Vermont because of the taxes, it’s cheaper there then Montreal. But he was the only one that did this the rest of the team and coaches lived in Montreal. So at the moment it told me this guy is just out for himself. Now I understand if your just an ordinary individual working for company and work is close the boarder I’d understand, but Pierre Pautier is the face of the Habs and to me thats a slap in the face to fans and the city IMHO. That was the warning bell for me.

HIO is my family and friends!
    Love and peace to all of you.
    God bless! and Merry Christmas!

Now for some great Junior hockey!

Peace on HIO and good posts to all men.

26. Haligonian-Hab says:

Those sad cut and pastes make me miss FourHabsFans :(.

Merry Christmas!

27. Mr. Biter says:

Merry Christmas to all posters who agree or disagree with my posts (excluding Broon Trolls) and lets all wish for Santa to bring us a nice 10 game winning streak to end this year and start the New with.
    Also after tonight all our small “Smurfs” will have finished their stint moonlighting as Santa’s elves and can concentrate on playing hockey.

Mr. Biter

28. idle says:

How come Boone gets the mistletoe hat??

29. Danno says:

Here’s Randy Cunneyworth starring in the role of Charlie in the Box:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

30. Bripro says:

Joyeuses Fêtes à Tous!
    Be you english, french or otherwise, I wish you all
    A Wonderful Holiday and Very Happy New Year 2012.

May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live.

31. naweed235 says:

First of all I want to wish every body and their loved ones a merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year!

I have been away on vacation down south for the last week and it seems like it was a hell of a week to miss in the Habs world. First I see that most of us got our wish with JM gone but then I see that the team seems to be in a free fall…. What the hell happened? I would appreciate if some one can give me a little briefing … Has Emelin been consistently in the line up and playing his right side since Cunnyworth?Any updates on Gio’s injury? Gomez? Did Cammaleri pick his game up yet? how about the youngsters? Thanks for taking the time to catch me up a little

• SPATS says:

Gio, Gomer and Markov are not skating. White is. Emelin was in the pressbox for the first couple of the Cunneyworth era, PK should’ve been in the clinic (he had the flu and stunk out the joint) Things are so bad, Cunneyworth has already started juggling lines when he said he wouldn’t.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

32. habsfan0 says:

Apparently, George Bailey was a Bruins fan. Maybe he should have jumped off that bridge…lol

Just kidding! Merry Christmas to one and all!

33. The Dude says:

Ah,the 3 wise men who shall follow the brightest object in the night sky”Russian Mars mission burning up ” and bring us back a baby Yakupov….I just Nail-ed it!

34. A. Berke says:

Haven’t posted anything in quite a while but now it’s time to wish everyone:

A VERY HAPPY HOLIDAYS and A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.

Hoping that our team gets better for the 2012-13 campaign (IMHO this one is already gone down the drain).

Cheers y’all.

Ali B.

35. Mattyleg says:

Merry Christmas to everyone at HI/O, the mods, the columnists, the friends, and those who I’ve had less friendly exchanges with.

Peace and happiness to all of you and your families. Be good to one another, and enjoy yourselves.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. JF says:

Happy holidays, everyone, and take a welcome break from our poor Habs by watching the WJC.

37. Neutral says:

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best to everyone and our Habs in 2012.

38. FANHABULOUS says:

Merry Christmas to all my fellow Habbies… and a Happy Festivus for the Restofus!

39. Rob says:

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks to the HIO crew for all the work you do

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

40. Habfan4lfe says:

Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy New Year!

41. Un Canadien errant says:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all at HIO staff and posters.

Joyeux Noël a tous, Bonne Année!

Let’s resume our peculiar brand of naive fanboy optimistic griping in a couple days.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

42. Everlasting1 says:

Um, mods..was only kidding in using/keeping that long sig. Lighten up. Delete my Season’s Greeting to all?? Nice.

——————————————————————-
    Genesis: 5:3-32

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

43. badbalance says:

Happy Holidays everyone! We struggle together and we celebrate together! Most important thing for everyone is to stay safe and enjoy themselves. And don’t drink and drive please.

Here’s to a good 2012 for the Habs!

44. Eric37 says:

Thanks fellas! Have a great one yourselves.

E.

45. smiler2729 says:

Joyeux Noel!

Can Cunneyworth say that?

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards sucks chowdah chunks

46. Habsrule1 says:

Merry Christmas to the HIO team.
    Never have I been so addicted to a website that has absolutely no nudity on it!

Don’t get any ideas, Boone!

Go Habs Go!!

47. HabFab says:

To the “three wise men”, a big “Happy Holidays” and thanks for being here.
    Nice to see that you are reading us and Boone, your photo-shop skills are getting there. Love Gainey as Scrooge!

48. otter649 says:

Merry Christmas & All the best in 2012 to the people & characters here @ Hockey Inside/Out.com……..

49. Frank2468 says:

Thanks guys for the laugh. When I first read your column today I never laughed so hard in all my live. I was laughing to the point of tears. I could just see BG sending Carbo down to the store to buy a new coal shovel and playing with Markov in the street at the end. Man o man where the tears flowing so hard with laughter. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone.

P.S from Markov “God Bless Us Everyone” lmao

Speaking of Christmas and miracles…..

Merry Christmas, JT!

51. RetroMikey says:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and to all that celebrate Orthodox Christmas on January 7.
    No, this team cannot pull it together and Santa, my wish is for this team to tank and admit we have to go back to square one for this team to bring the club back to respectability and for the diehard fans, AND that the club will bring the glory days back to Montreal, as champions!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

52. habs-hampton says:

Merry Christmas guys, and thanks for all your work keeping this site a fun place to browse each day, win or lose!

This is good time of year to forget about the Habbies woes for a few days as the ghost of Christmas future showcases Beaulieu, Gallagher and Bournival for us (not to mention Tinordi and Prybl(?)).

53. HabLou2 says:

A very Merry christmas to you all. And yes our team is …….struggling to say the least, stay positive and I agree with Bobcat Bob, this team can pull it together, all it takes is will….

54. Rickly33 says:

Merry Xmas and happy new year to all, or happy holidays, or what ever floats your boat. Santa
    Please bring scoring, a coach, a new top line, and a d core that can maybe limit their mistakes. It’s a lot to ask for I know, but we’ve been waiting a long long time.

Mike and Pat look fine but Dave’s photo would scare little kids more than meeting up with the Grinch!!!

P.S. I wonder if Santa’s elves ever wear bow-ties?

56. Clay says:

Which God?

__________________________
    “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

57. ZepFan2 says:

The one and only God that gave Le Gros Bill his gift.

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

58. Clay says:

Touche. However, I use that quote for 2 reasons:
    1) Out of respect for Jean Beliveau
    2) To remind the team that they need to work hard

I do not use it to profess a belief in a fictional being. Of which there are many. So again I ask – which God?

__________________________

59. ZepFan2 says:

“So again I ask – which God?”

I believe in my God.

You’re free to believe in whatever God you choose…or not.

Btw, Mr. Beliveau is as close to a God as one can get. He’s a very humble and kind man. If he meets you, he acts as if he’s known you all his Life.

He’s the best!
    ———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.