Meet the new voice of the Habs on Team 990

BartlettHIO

Report by Pat Hickey, The Gazette

John Bartlett is the new English language play-by-play broadcaster for the Canadiens, The Gazette and hockeyinsideout.com have learned.

The Team 990, which lured the rights to Canadiens’ games away from CJAD, will announce the appointment later Thursday.

Bartlett, who has been the play-by-play announcer for the Toronto Marlies since 2005, has spent most of his life in the Toronto area, but he grew up as a fan of the Canadiens and has deep roots in Montreal.

“My grandfather had season tickets at the Forum for more than 50 years,” Bartlett said Wednesday in a telephone conversation from his Toronto home. “The first NHL game I ever saw was sitting in those seats with my father and the last game I saw at the Forum was with my grandfather. I still have lots of relatives in the area and my grandmother listens to every game on radio.”

Bartlett’s father worked for Bell and was transferred to Kingston shortly before Bartlett was born. The family moved to Toronto a year later.

Bartlett was selected after a two-month search that attracted dozens of applicants from across North America. The former Junior A goaltender broke into radio in his hometown of Newmarket north of Toronto and spent four years as the voice of the Barrie Colts of the Ontario Hockey League.

He joined the Marlies in 2005 and was the 2007 winner of the James H. Ellery Memorial Award as the top broadcaster in the AHL. He has been involved in community activities with the Marlies and has filled in as the play-by-play man on several Toronto Maple Leafs games on radio and TV. He has been the host of several shows on Leafs TV and tried his hand at acting in the CBC drama The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives.

“I’ve done enough to say I have NHL experience, but not enough that people can say I’m a Leafs guy,” Bartlett said.

Bartlett replaces Rick Moffat, who remains at CJAD as the voice of the Alouettes. There’s no immediate word on the analyst position, but don’t be surprised if Moffat’s sidekick, former Canadien Sergio Momesso, returns for another season.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. weiweioo says:

+input this URL:
    ===== www proxy4biz com ====
    you can find many cheap and fashio
    Like Reply

2. havok says:

Sorry but I will keep my dial on CKAC…

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.T

So the Dalai Lama will be doing play by play on CKAC then?

• havok says:

Imagine if he would? LOL

• Feraco says:

“If you have fear of some pain or suffering, you should examine whether there is anything you can do about it. If you can, there is no need to worry about it; if you cannot do anything, then there is also no need to worry.”

Molson Ex mon ami

3. centre hice says:

How do I add an avatar to my profile? I don’t see where to do it on the profile page.

4. edgar_falcon says:

a little off topic but i was reading the new nhl faceoff yearbook mag today and was disgusted on their predictions, saying the leafs would be in 8th place which is stupid but not disgusting… what was bad that they predicted the habs would be 11th in the east… then talked about how this would be a better team then last year… seriously they completely contradict themselves by saying this now… the only way i can belive this happen is if habs get killed with key player injuries worse then the last 2 years combined which im sorry but will not happen just had to rant about that a bit because it angered me inside… needless to say i pissed on the mag and then set it a blaze…

2011 HAB FANS SUMMIT NOV 18,19. INFORMATION.!

About 130 of us this year! We sure have grown as Friends and a community.

Some have their own game tickets but will be joining in on the festivities. A few from the US, France, The Maritime’s , B.C , Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and of course La Belle Province. Two from Calif.

First, your pre-season tickets and your Summit Rangers game tickets are in the mail. I also put your free Hall of Fame tickets in with your Rangers game tickets. Do not lose them, they can not be replaced.

2nd, To get the reduced hotel rate, book asap and ID yourself as being with HIO or use my name. Everything is 2 min. from the Novatel Hotel.

3rd, We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. Some of us will be having supper there. Go to the 2nd floor where Sherri and Tim will give you your name tags. Everyone is welcome to join us. Ware you team colours! and enjoy the evening.

4th, Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

5th, We walk over to the Bell Center for the tour. 10:30 or 11:00am.

6th, Bring your donation gift (1 per person please) for the Children’s Foundation raffle at the Baton Rouge rest. at 3pm. After the raffle we have our pre game dinner. We are hoping Mr. Stubbs comes through and has a few players drop by for a visit. No pressure here! Then we walk across the street to the game.

7th, I have confirmed today that the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celibate the win. Anyone may join us, just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to the kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO family.
    See ya there.

Ian
    (613-968-9807) if you need anything.

Hotel regular rates are $139 and $149. BUT!

Our HIO special rates are as follows.
    Hotel rates.single $119, Double $119, Triple $144, Quad $$169

Be sure to tell them you are with HIO.
    Mrs. Xich-Vê HÔ (pronounced “sik-vay”)
    Sales Manager- Leisure Groups and Catering
    1180 de la Montagne
    Montréal, Qc H3G 1Z1

Tel : +001 514 871 2138

6. Julie H says:

I’m actually pretty excited about this. Living in Montreal the French station was always playing games but sometimes they talk too fast and I get confused. I like the announcers on CJAD but they don’t always carry the games. As long as Tony isn’t a frequent guest, I’m sure we will all enjoy Mr. Bartlett’s commentary.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

Will Team 990 stream all games? Thinking about getting RDS this season and hoping to listen to games on the Computer.

8. It will be a tough transition to Team 990 (OK maybe not tough). When it comes to loyalty I like to stay true.

Rick, Murray and Sergio (producers too) always gave me time on the air after the games. They were always respectful towards their fans and knew exactly what needed to be said on air.

Last season was one in particular I won’t forget. I told Rick (email) I was coming to St Paul. After a nine hour drive, I arrived just in time for the afternoon walk over to the Xcel. Before that though I sat in our loby waiting for Rick and Sergio.

Sergio sat down first and I introduced myself in person (we talked on the air a lot). We talked for an hour and he’s such a great person. As the Canadiens came down he introduced me to most of them. I got to joke around with Kirk Muller and my brother from Brandon (That’s what Sergio yelled out to Whity). Great time.

As for Rick, I’ve been talking/emailing him for years. I finally got to meet him in person last November at the 2010 Summit. Just another great character. When I was getting my machine put on my heart (that’s what my little girl calls it) Rick sent me an email wishing me well.

Rick has one of the voices that echo greatness. Not many do that. Danny Galivan, Dick Irvin Jr, Doc Emrick, Jim Hughson (sic), Dan Shulman (awesome) and that play by pay from SJ all are comparable. If you don’t agree that’s fine. These are my favorites.

Take care Rick, hope to see you at the Hurley’s Friday Night November 18th.

The 2011 Summit

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

9. G-Man says:

AM radio still exists? Whodathunkit?

10. topher5468 says:

Oh well, I really liked Moffat, Before all the technology, radio was all I had down here in NY. I would always listen to the radio guys rather than the idiot announcers from the other teams on Center ice. I’m sure the new guy will be OK though.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

11. SmartDog says:

People seem to like this guy so I hope he’s good.
    I have to say though, I liked Murray Wilson MUCH more than Mommesso (sp?). Wilson was crisp, clear, seemed to think like a player all the time (a smart player) and gave insight into some of the team dynamics.

Mommesso seems like kind of a slob. I’m sorry but half of what he says is obvious and somehow after awhile, everything he said sounded the same – like eating in the same restaurant too often. And speaking of eating, sometimes it sounds like he’s doing that.

*****WARNING: Testing out new dog icons for the coming season. *****

• Un Canadien errant says:

SmartDog, when being unsure as to a word’s spelling, instead of taking that time to ponder and then put little brackets and a sp? next to that word, just open another tab on your browser and type in the word you’re unsure about. Google will do the work for you and tell you what the correct spelling is. It takes roughly the same amount of time and shows respect for your reader.

———————————
      For my training camp surprise, I want the second coming of Mike McPhee. And maybe Kent Carlson.

12. SyntaxLove says:

I’m not within range of Team 990 out here I don’t think, so it won’t make much difference to me!

Chinchillin’

13. DYCSoccer17 says:

The real question is if this guy has the approval of “James from DDO”?

14. Duracell3 says:

All I know is Murray Wilson made it worth listening to english.

15. otter649 says:

Joe Bowen long time voice of The Maple Leafs (radio/tv voice) was hired from The AHL Nova Scotia Voyeurgeurs (Montreal’s farm team) where Bowen did radio play by play years ago……

16. kungpowchicken says:

Thank you Pat Hickey for this update. U R Da Man out here in BC! Cheers and enjoy your summer.

17. Exit716 says:

Good. They spent some time looking for the right person and hired someone that has worked their way up the ranks in the business.

18. cuzzie says:

Keep Marinaro as far as possible from anything hockey. Please! Please!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

19. AceMagnum says:

Rick Moffat was horrible. This is going to be great. ( I hope I never hear “Shut-Out Buster!” again.)

20. Marc10 says:

Talk about earning your spot… Covering the Marlies and the Leafs – that’s like a tour in Afghanistan!

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

21. HFX-HabFan says:

Ah…Hehr Bartlett.

22. Definitely thought it was going to be Derek Willis.