McCarron signs entry-level contract, off to Knights; Duffy signs with ‘Dogs

mccarron-2

Michael McCarron had his eyes opened wide at last week’s Canadiens development camp. On Thursday, he signed a 3-year entry-level contract with the Habs.
Jamie Squires, Getty Images

The  Canadiens announced Thursday morning the signing of Michael McCarron to a three-year entry-level contract, clearing the way for him to suit up next season with the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights.

From the Habs release: The Canadiens’ first selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, No. 25 overall, McCarron had five goals, 10 points and a plus-1 differential in 19 games with the United States National Team Development Program in 2012-13. In each of his two seasons with the USNTDP, the 6-foot-5, 228-pound winger has led his team in penalty minutes per game.

The Macomb, MI, native participated in the Canadiens’ development camp from July 3-7.

Meanwhile:

Canadiens and Hamilton Bulldogs GM Marc Bergevin announced Thursday the signing of free agent forward Ben Duffy to a one-year, two-way American Hockey League / ECHL contract for the 2013-2014 season.  As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

In 2012-2013, Duffy won the Jean Beliveau Trophy as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s scoring champion with 110 points.  The 21-year-old also led the QMJHL in assists with 71 and finished 11th in the league in goals with 39.  The Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia native also registered 215 shots, posted a +17 rating and recorded four penalty minutes in 68 regular season games for the Prince Edward Island Rockets.  In six post-season games, the 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward produced four points (two goals, two assists).

In five seasons with the PEI Rocket, Duffy compiled 341 points (139 goals, 202 assists) and 18 penalty minutes in 334 regular season games and eight points (five goals, three assists) in 19 post-season games.

1,231 Comments

1. Kooch7800 says:

hmmmm I am wondering in NJ is pissed as they let Zach go last year cause of the Kovy contract

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

2. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Eklund is NOT reporting an eminent Morrow/Habs signing. Which means the deal is done. Order your jersey today!

3. Sportfan says:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Lou went insane! With Kovalchuk leaving he could have kept Clarkson, does that mean one Day Ovie will leave early too?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Sportfan says:

Holy man Kovalchuk retires from the NHL WOW

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey, if we’re toying with the Twitterverse, how about this one:

“New Jersey Devils announce retirement of star-player Ilya Kovalchuk on eve of historic return to Missouri and re-branding as the Kansas City Scouts.”

CONFIRMED

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not that high on the Scouts, but would love a resurrection of the California Golden Seals. And the Minnesota North Stars. It blows that one of the best jerseys in hockey was lost when they moved to Dallas.

6. krob1000 says:

I just went to hockeyfights.com to see Kovalchuk…funny stat…in 9 career fights he never lost..and according to the site won against Mccabe, Cooke, Schenn, Stafford, Avery and Comrie…lol…he is a pest deterrent. He is like a pesticide on skates….I had no idea he did that to those guys.

• The Jackal says:

Hell of a player. According to the NJD’s release, Kovy wanted to go play in Russia and be with his family after enjoying his year in the KHL, presumably more so than he enjoyed his time in the NHL.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

7. habsfan0 says:

Ilya Kovalchuk announces his retirement at a very young age.
    Maybe this is the start of a new trend.

Maybe DD will announce his retirement next.

8. JUST ME says:

I knew there was something unsaid about the Devils. They are technically bankrupted and still can keep on keeping on as usual. I just did not understand how business could go on with that outrageous Kovalchuck deal unless something was in the works…Not surprised cause he really was saying that he wanted to stay in Russia instead of coming back after the lockout. At this stage of his career it`s not because he needed the money that he came back in america.

Do not know what it will change in the Devil`s future and their financial troubles but any team with the kind of deal given to Kovalchuck was bound to be in difficulties.

9. HabFanSince72 says:

I’m curious as to what happened but the Devils have gone from best to worst managed team in the league. What a mess!

• krob1000 says:

THis is actually genius…they just ditched the biggest contract left that may be a problem down the road..and they have no cap hit …..reeks to me. In theory a gm could say look Ilya we are either trading you to the New York ISlanders, or you are now a pk specialist and 4th liner..in other words reetire nudge, nudge wink, wink…..or we will Keith BAllard you.

• The Juice says:

Yes but most people would still play in the minors for $10M/yr!

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Habfan17 says:

they do have a cap hit, $250,000/season until 2024. Chump change

Habfan17

• Sean Bonjovi says:

It could be that the last group to own the team overruled, or interfered with some of Lou Lamoriello’s decisions.

10. krob1000 says:

Kovalchuk….if he retires can the team buy himout or does him retiring stick the devlis with his cap hit?

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

no he was not over 35 when he signed so no cap hit

“Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the former.”- Albert Einstien

• Habfan17 says:

yes there is now a cap hit, $250,000/season up until 2024. This is to keep teams from having players “retire” early to save the cap hit.

Habfan17

• mrhabby says:

team cannot afford to buy him out.

since he retires…no cap hit.

• krob1000 says:

Next question then is…if the Devils are ok with him signing in KHL will the NHLPA or league step up? or is he just ok to go because he retired…sounds a lot like cap circumvention to me…can we retract our buyout and have Kaberle “retire”? I know the answer to that one but this whole thing is very sketchy

• mrhabby says:

agreed..this smells bad..iam waiting for Bettman/Daily to speak..should be funny.

• The Juice says:

What if he decides to “unretire”…can he sign anywhere as a UFA?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

11. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Timo re. Yammy
    from nhl.com:

“The agent for Jaromir Jagr said Wednesday there are now more than three teams interested in the 41-year-old free agent, and the forward has interest in the Carolina Hurricanes.

“A long story short, there are more than three teams,” agent Petr Svoboda told CanesCountry.com. “Jaromir wants to be sure of the decision that he makes because he was in [Philadelphia], he was in Dallas, then in Boston. He wants to make sure he makes the right decision.”

(btw, would that be our old Petr Svoboda?)

12. La Duke 16 says:

Anyone hear the news that Kovalchuk is retiring – only 30 years old!!

13. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

whats all this im hearing about Morrow?

14. Sean Bonjovi says:

Please correct me if I’m wrong. The Canadiens & Bulldogs have made four roster moves since their development camp.
    1. Stefan Fournier : 3 year, two-way NHL contract
    2. Mike McCarron = same
    3. Bulldogs sign Stephen MacAulay and
    4. Ben Duffy

Did I miss any?

15. durocher says:

Gio for Eric Gelinas. Do it, MB

16. mrhabby says:

heres hoping MB is on the next flight to Devils H/O to talk about sending Gio to play with his brother…

17. bwoar says:

Kitchen 73 ‏@Kitchen73 1h
    @RenLavoieRDS Brendan morrow signed with habs. Stay tuned. Good source

The rumour originated here, a breakfast-lunch in Laval. Feed here:

“thoroughbred”

18. Alex_425 says:

So, any new developments about the few on Twitter who are claiming Morrow for 2 years at 2.5 per?

But I’m no expert….

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…excited about McCarron

…and …have We outed all of HIO’s commies yet ?

…WHAT’s the score ???

20. The Jackal says:

Amidst all this Kovalchuk talk, I am hoping the reports about Morrow are true. Even though they are not from the most credible sources, I think some of our recent moves were reported a while before the credible folks, so…. could be true!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

21. Morenz7 says:

As Harry Neale used to say: “There’s a definite aroma to this one.”

22. Hstands4Hockey says:

Regarding KHL – I don’t think he can play in the KHL with a NHL contract. Can anyone clarify this?

Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

23. Kooch7800 says:

How about Gio to NJ for Volchenkov? Gio gets to play with his brother and in the organization that drafted him. We save 800,000 in cap space and gain a physical D man. he isn’t the best d man out there but he is physical and will give us some more cash to get Morrow and dump moen for picks

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

@Front
    Good evening! Don’t forget “Dunboyne” is only a poster name, so don’t count me off that Notorious list just yet!

25. savethepuck says:

After hearing the Kovalchuk news, I immediately went to Capgeek because I thought he was walking away for a crapload of money. It is even more than I thought;
    His contract was to run until 2024-25 with salaries of 11.3 M, 11.3 M, 11.6 M, 11.8 M, 10M, 7 M, 4M, 1M, 1M, 1M, 3M and 4M.
    You would think he’d wait another 5 years or so before walking away from that. Very curious to hear why.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Bripro says:

Seeing that it was heavily front-loaded, I guess he figures he’s collected the bulk of the money.
      The Devils will get better cap relief.

• Habilis says:

He’s walking away from 77 million dollars. I don’t care how front loaded the contract was, that’s some serious cake.

Plus I don’t know how great the cap relief will be when you measure it against what the Devils are losing. He’s decimating the New Jersey offense by leaving. Couple that with the fact that the Devils have to give up their first round draft pick next season because of his deal… This could wind up being very costly indeed.

• savethepuck says:

But the first 2 years were only 6M and last season was his first at 11M ( which would of been prorated due to lockout). He is just getting into the meat of his contract now.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

26. mrhabby says:

Devils to Kovy…we have no money to pay you.

Kovy and agent to Devils. we sign contract.

over to you Bettman.

27. Bripro says:

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 2m
    Devils must be really regretting using that first rounder on Matteau today. Could be forced to give up a top-5 pick next year.

28. Luke says:

How you feeling now Ryan Clowe?

29. mrhabby says:

he leaves tons of coin on the table.
    bet the partners of the devils had lots to do with this.

30. ooder says:

one year before the olympics? wow that is so weird.
    either he has some crazy injuries that are affecting him in his day to day life, or the devils pressured him to clear cap space (maybe they can’t afford a buyout) but this is so weird!

31. commandant says:

Ilya Kovalchuk Shocker

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

32. mark-ID says:

Great, now New Jersey will need another right winger. Brian Gionta anyone? Love Gio, but think we can all agree some of the small guys need to be replaced.

33. Gerry H says:

What is going on in NJ? Cap hell or buyout insolvency?

34. on2ndthought says:

Kovalchuk RETIRES! Besides: wtf; what happens to that cap space??

“a cannonading drive”

35. Bripro says:

BREAKING: Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement

Press release: http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677775

36. thehabsfan29 says:

WDF
    Kovalchuck retired!!

37. thehabsfan29 says:

Word around twitter is we signed morrow for 2yrs/2.5 per
    If it’s true then where do we put him?

SUMMIT NEWS!

For all HIO Summit Fans. Stay tuned for when the 2013-14 NHL schedule comes out in a few days. That is when I will pick the very best Sat. night game for all of us in late Oct. or early Nov.

For those who do not have tickets from last years cancelled Summit, be ready to send me your money order along with a self addressed stamped envelop for as many tickets that you might be needing. For more information about our full Summit weekend in Montreal, click onto the link below.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• habsfan0 says:

Say,Ian,since some posters here have been talking about communists recently, I have an idea.

Why don’t you conduct a vote as to which game the commentariat would like to go to,the game with the most votes wins!

• Ian Cobb says:

It has already been done my friend! After taking into account weather for the one’s driving and flying to Montreal, it has been decided to stick with Oct. or early Nov. Do you have a better idea, and do you wish to help out organizing.???

39. on2ndthought says:

I remember playing PHI the past few years. Picturing Hartnell and Simmons on our squad made me drool; but Briere was the guy who scared me when he had the puck. His insistence and creativity were the best on the team, even after Giroux brought his mind numbing skills to city of brotherly love. Can he do that for us? Get him the puck, get at least one guy in front of the net. Get your D to commit to finding lanes offensively, and yep; I’m pretty sure he can.

“a cannonading drive”

40. rhino514 says:

In the unlikely event the habs get their hands on Morrow….or ALMOST get their hands on him, to me it would signal the Briere signing was a costly mistake.
    If they land Morrow now they will be choked by the cap and will have to get rid of a top six or top nine player, with little leverage, as other teams will know tey have to unload someone before the start of the season. If they don´t get him BECAUSE of Briere´s contract, then basically it means we got Briere instead of Morrow.
    Briere could have one decent year left in him, but Morrow is definitely more valuable as a player and character guy to the habs than Briere is.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think it all depends on Briere. Were his poor last couple of seasons blips due to injury or a sign of an inexorable decline?

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure I agree. Briere plays with an edge and has more talent than Morrow. Briere is only 3 months older than Morrow. Briere has a point a game in his career in the playoffs. Morrow has .5 point a game in his career in the playoffs. Morrow has .63 points per game in his career in the regular season. Briere .82.
      Morrow wins only in size…1 inch taller but 30 pounds heavier.
      I prefer Briere at this point and I haven’t even mentioned that he probably wants to prove more to the Habs fanbase than Morrow, given where he’s from.

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

They are both on the decline of their careers and have injury issues though so what they did in the past really doesn’t matter anymore.

Briere has more raw talent there is no doubt there. This team lacks gritt though and I think Morrow would be a better fit in regards to needs currently.

I don’t think we will sign Morrow anyway as we don’t really have the room on the roster or cap space for him. Who would sit for him to be added?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

Fair enough. I just have a better feeling about Briere, but I’d take Morrow too if we could have him replace Armstrong or even Moen.

I have a feeling MB is not done. Something is brewing.

Go Habs Go!!

• Phil C says:

I would see it more as sign Morrow, trade a forward to bolster the blueline.

• rhino514 says:

I hope I´m wrong. If Briere has a rebirth in his back yard and gets around 25 goals and is a force in the playoffs, it´s all good.

• Dr.Rex says:

Moen’s 1.85 would be a great start. Same role but big upgrade with Morrow.

41. NightRyder says:

I’d love to know what type of incentive package, er, real reason was behind McCarron going to London instead of Western Michigan.
    If it was strictly a Habs decision to send him there, fine. I trust, no matter how many experts we have here, that they know what they are doing.
    Otherwise, I have significant questions.
    Everyone talks about Lucic, Lucic, Lucic when it comes to McCarron. Frankly, I’d rather have John LeClair (or Shanahan/Kevin Stevens in their prime etc.). McCarron has a reputed nasty streak anyway.
    I’d rather he be a 40-goal power forward who can fight than a 20-goal fighting forward.
    Under Andy Murray he would have learned from one of the most respected teachers in the game. Had ample time to practise his skills and learn the ins and outs of the game. Much more time in the weight room to gain even more man strength.
    In London, I worry about him being a target. Big bonus baby is going to be No. 1 on the hit list of the assorted goons throughout the OHL. If he has to spend his entire year of development proving himself, or breaking his hands, or missing opportunities because of sore hands etc., that to me would be wasteful.
    To me, a year with Murray then a year with the Hunters (learning more of a pro-style game, with travel – and fighting) would have been the way to go, best of both worlds.
    Let’s hope this doesn’t turn him into Turner Stevenson 2.0.

• jacquesthemonkey says:

He’ll have to face the music sooner or later I suppose.

• NightRyder says:

For sure. I’d just rather he grow as a player first. You know he’s going to want to be out there every night proving himself. And if he’s on the third or fourth line, that’s much more likely to be fighting than anything else.
        A tried and true method for sure I guess. I just (and I am admittedly biased here) have so much respect for Murray’s teaching ability – which is even more magnified in the college setting. To me, it would have made McCarron that much better down the line.

You make good points, many have posted merits for London and for College. I suppose the hidden blessing is that at least it was between a coach like Hunter and Murray, as opposed to some other Junior programs where the coach doesn’t have the history, track record etc… that Hunter has.

• NightRyder says:

For me it’s not so much NCAA vs. Major Junior in this case.
            It was getting the kid a chance to learn from Andy Murray in a setting where there is so much time for teaching.
            Then off to the Hunters for finishing school when he was bigger, stronger, more skilled and with a much more in-depth knowledge of how to play.
            I just hope it wasn’t more of a family financial decision. Just last week, Murray was talking about how much he was looking forward to working with McCarron etc., leading me to believe that something changed drastically (and I tend to follow the money).

• Psycho29 says:

By the way, your name is awesome.

Jacques the Monkey is my favorite Peter Gabriel song!

:-)

• junyab says:

IMO, McCarron will have a much better chance developing his offensive game in the OHL.

42. HabFanSince72 says:

I remember when I was a kid we used to fry hamburgers in butter.

Anyone remember that?

No one does it like that anymore but I think it’s the way to go.

• NightRyder says:

My parents did that.

They also smoked inside the house so much we literally had to lie on the floor, beneath the haze, to watch TV.

Sometimes change is good!

43. wjc says:

Since analyzing the past is so popular did you know:
    The Canadiens won back to back Stanley’s in 1930 and 1931 coached by the great Cecil hart.

They didn’t win again until 1944 what was the reason for the drought. They defeated Boston and Chigago in those years. Boston in a best of 3 and Chicago in a best of 5. What happened, was Cecil to hard on his players, not allowing them to do the charleston and watch the talkies. We will never know.

The rumor of the day was that Wildor Larochelle and Pit Lepine tried to kill him with a sharpened hockey puck. They were traded away to Boston where they fit right in. Montreal were lost for the next 12 years.

Thank goodness the war came and all the good players got drafted from all the rest of the teams and Montreal won again.

wjc

44. Dr.Rex says:

What jersey number will Brenden Morrow wear?

@Trini from yesterday. You made me LOL. Cheers, amigo, thanks for the “compliment” :)

What’s the latest on Yammy Yagah?

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

AAAAAAARRRRGH!

Checked in without logging on.

All your faces were GONE!

48. neumann103 says:

If they were close and Ryan wss the missing piece, okay.

But they are not and they traded away a bunch of their future

Edit this was supposed to be reply to a post about Ottawa’s Ryan trade about 2 hours ago but my phone lost connectivity in midstream.

Looks luke it decided to post upon refresh

“Et le but!”

• Old Bald Bird says:

We shall see. Murray is quite a bold trader, but it usually seems to work out for him.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Really? Since his appointment in 2007 he’s taken the Sens from cup contender (lost in game 7 that year) to bubble team. They’ve been in constant decline under him, and now traded away three #1 picks for two years of Bobby Ryan.

• Old Bald Bird says:

The cup contender team fell apart completely, but he has rebuilt the team much more effectively than all of the CH rebuilds — except for maybe this one, we hope. He had the stones to trade for Turris, and he picked up Bishop when needed and shopped him when he didn’t. How about Foligno for Methot?

• HabFanSince72 says:

They squeezed their way into 7th place thanks to their keepers. That’s it. By every measure other than goaltending they were one of the worst teams in the East. No way they are more of a contender than us.

I am willing to bet they don’t make the playoffs this year, and that pick they gave Anaheim ends up being very good.

• Old Bald Bird says:

We shall see. With all of their injuries, I think they had an incredible year. Our year might also have been an aberration, so we shouldn’t be gloating too much. They also beat us quite handily in the playoffs. I thought they would be tough to play, and they were.

Anyway, we were talking about bold trades, and I mentioned three that seem to fit that mold and also seem to have worked out. They are all part of the recent rebuild, so I don’t know what 2007 has to do with it. Remember that he was also forced to lose a major player in Heatly and has still come out of it rather well.

49. Un Canadien errant says:

I was at the Saloon last night, giant screens everywhere tuned to sports, so the conversation turned to sports and hockey and of course the woeful turn of events for the Canucks. My friend Matt at one point shrugged and said:

“Corey Schneider, it’s like Cody Hodgson and Luc Bourdon and Michael Grabner, …”

At that point I stopped listening, because it didn’t matter what he said, the point was made. The Canucks don’t often hit on their first-rounders, if they haven’t already traded it away in the first place. Then when they do, and they think they have a keeper, something happens and they get mismanaged or traded and they don’t get to see the kid they invested years in actually bring benefits to the team.

Which made me think that we have our challenges with the Canadiens, we worry if Louis Leblanc will get on track for example, but overall our future looks much brighter than the Canucks’.

• Ed says:

I think drafting 18 year olds is too young.

If the draft was moved back, it would be helpful to everyone.

• Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

I know it’s almost impossible to change now but I always wanted hockey to adopt a football or basketball approach of having their athletes play NCAA or University hockey first. Draft them when they are 21.

Maybe allow 18 year olds (ala LeBron and Kobe) in elite status circumstances or only in top 5 pics etc.

The NBA seems to have caved in this area as well, it is the NFL who are maintaining a hard line on what age players can reach their league. Interesting that the league with non-guaranteed contracts, also ensures they know from a physical perspective much better what they are getting.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree with Ed as well. So much physical changes occur between 18 and 25 makes it difficult to predict someone’s development.
      Louie L is faced with a challeng and I think he’ll be up to it.

• Ed says:

except for a handful of players in the 1st round, no one else makes the NHL the year following their draft.

the players are returned to Junior or NCAA or Europe or wherever.

why?

Because they aren’t ready – 99% not even close to being ready.

What does that tell you?

We discuss our MacCarrons and our De La Rose’s and all of our draft picks as though “our future” looks bright –

But who really knows?

Not the GM’s, or the scouts, or the coaches, or the parents, or even the players actually know, at 18, if they will continue to develop enough to make the NHL.

• ClutchNGrab says:

I think Bourdon’s name shouldn’t be part of the list.

• Ed says:

I remember watching Bourdon in the World Juniors. Man could he play. Tragic accident. He could have been a top 2 d-man for 15 years.

• Un Canadien errant says:

CNG, my buddy didn’t bring him up as a mistake the Canucks made, but rather another young player that fans got excited about, who ultimately didn’t figure in their future. I didn’t take it as insensitive of his part, but rather as part of the heartbreak of a true Canucks fan.

And they’re not irrational about it, they’re aware that Cody Hodgson is not having smooth sailing with the Sabres, so even that trade isn’t disastrous yet, but it’s hard for a fan to get excited and learn all these wonderful things a prospect does and says, then see him shipped out of town again.

So they’re jaded a bit, and they’re not doing handsprings about Hunter Shinkaruk or Bo Horvat, they’re definitely ‘wait and see’.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree with everyone that it would be preferable to draft players at a later age. It used to be 20, then 19, now it’s 18, and as Ed points out only two or three players a year actually are ready to play NHL or even AHL hockey.

I remember at the time of the change being made that the League explained it couldn’t discriminate against young players, that once he was an adult he had the right to earn a living. But as HiB points out, the NFL and NBA have successfully maintained age requirements. In the last CBA negotiations, if Gary Bettman and Bill Daly cared about the sport at all, they should have bargained with the players a stricture that allows a few exceptional players to be drafted at 18, and then everyone else at 19 or 20. Maybe you can draft an underager in the Top 5, but after that you can only draft 20-year-olds, something like that. This way, a Taylor Hall can turn pro early if he wants, but the rest can stay in junior or college and be kids and be allowed to mature.

50. Sportfan says:

Wouldn’t worry about PK just yet lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

51. Morenz7 says:

To those who think MB misplayed the Subban situation: couldn’t disagree more. Bergevin quite rightly hedged, and it won’t cost him that much more than it would have if he’d acceded to Subban’s wish for a longer, richer deal. Indulge me in a hypothetical.

Based on his 2010-11 performance, and other signings, you could imagine Subban asking last winter for five years at $5.5M. Why five years, and not eight? Because at that point PK would have been eligible for free agency (seven seasons in the league). Sign too long and he would find himself playing well below market value.

So, by instead signing PK to two years at $2.875M, Bergevin saved $5.25M over the course of those two seasons (for the sake of mathematical simplicity, I’m leaving out the proration of the shortened 2012 season).

Critics of that decision rightly point out that Subban will now command more than $7M per in his next contract. Let’s say $7.2M. That’s $5.1M more over the course of the next three years than MB would have spent had he done my hypothetical $5.5/5 year contract.

In short, it’s a saw-off. The money MB must now spend to retain Subban will have been saved during the two low-cost seasons. What’s more, MB is now a helluva lot more certain of the scale of star he has. PK made enormous strides last year that—while they seemed likely—were by no means certain. MB will now happily pay up.

You can fantasize about Subban having signed a super long-term deal—eight years, at, say, six mill. But that was highly unlikely. There was too much uncertainty on Montreal’s end, and it might very well have not been in PK’s best interests.

Finally, remember that after this season the cap is likely to shoot back up, so PK’s $7.2M (or whatever) won’t look so onerous. Meantime, in this single year of cap-pinch, we have him at $2.875 million.

Damn good management if you ask me.

• Luke says:

+76

A 2.875 Cap hit in the year the cap drops and a year we are already snuggling up against it… solid.

He’ll earn his next paycheck. Plus if he tanks this season, it’ll look even better. (I’m doubting he tanks).

• Strummer says:

I thought it was damn good as well.
      Look what happened in Boston with Seguin, throwing all that money and term needlessly at a young RFA.
      They ended up in cap trouble and had to dump his salary.
      Same thing with Meyers in Buffalo.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ed says:

it was “hardball”, which is fair in any business.

if Subban signs long term than it’s no harm no foul.

if Bergevin does not get Subban to sign long term than your conclusion of “damn good management” might need to be revised downward.

• Morenz7 says:

Ed, you’re absolutely right and it says here I will revise in that eventuality.

But I think P.K. has plenty incentive to stick in Montreal—not least the upside in endorsement and sponsorship. A superstar in a Habs jersey moves way, way more merch than one in a Nashville, Columbus or even an Edmonton jersey (even if he’s not actually allowed to wear the jersey in the ad!).

And I don’t the get sense he resents MB playing hardball.

• bwoar says:

“thoroughbred”

• myron.selby says:

All true. The other thing that people don’t seem to realize the significance of, is the number of UFA years that can be bought in a contract. The Habs don’t seem to sign anything longer than 6 years. If they do that with PK last year it means he hits the UFA market at what should be his absolute peak of 29. Now the same contract takes him to 31. And should they decide to break precedent they could lock him up until he’s 33.

• Habsrule1 says:

Not to mention MB gave PK a reason to prove himself even more and have a Norris Trophy season. One never know what type of attitude PK would have had being given the long term deal. It’s almost human nature at times not to give your all when you’re pretty much set for X years.

Go Habs Go!!

• habstrinifan says:

You were doing fine until “might not have been in P.K.’s best interest”. Get back to me when you stand up and say.. hey I dont want moar money now cause it aint in my best interest.

• Morenz7 says:

Okay, how about “the team’s best interest,” when P.K. tests the UFA market in four years because he knows he might get $8M per?

More money is precisely the point. Agents are very reluctant to let teams eat up their clients’ UFA years at a discount (which Montreal would have been insane not to demand for term), and Don Meehan isn’t an idiot. He knew the RFA contract wasn’t a hill to die on because P.K. would get his due if he lived up to expectation. He did and he will.

• rhino514 says:

Except we´ll have 4 million more to pay on a 37 year old Briere the same year Subban gets his huge raise.
      Seems scary to me, but then again what do i know, it has been said Briere turned down more money and term to join the habs.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Fantastic assessment, I totally thought the same thing when they first signed PK to the 2 year deal. It’s turning out to be a win-win for both PK, and more importantly, for MB and the Habs. As others have mentioned, look at players around the league that had money thrown at them too young and before they established themselves. We avoided that issue… plus, MB maintained the “bridge deal” setup that he can use for all the upcoming contracts (Gally, Chucky, Tinordi etc). Finally, it gives MB the perfect opportunity to use PK as an example in the future… you tell any young guy wanting big bucks “Prove yourself like PK did, and we’ll pay ya appropriately”

Now, lets get him locked up for 8 years… PK will win a number of Norris’ before he’s done.

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

52. on2ndthought says:

nice rant, Myron Selby.
    Most of us here are fans first, and wear our lucky socks during the games.
    This site is great for filling in the gaps between games, and we do tend to GM coach commentary, because… well our days of trying to make the Habs as players are over. Other than being Governor General (or maybe an Ottawa Senator.. the ones who get to waste err spend our money), I would love to be GM or coach of the Montreal Canadiens (OK astronaut would be cool too). Still young enough to think I’d do a good job, too :)

“a cannonading drive”

53. Cypress Mountain Loves Habs Fans

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

54. JUST ME says:

The obvious input of new blood in the farm system can`t be bad. It is a very good sign of things to come . As long as Bergevein and his team keep on trying to get better and to strenghten the base of the team it will eventually bring positive results.

On the other hand i think that what we see is what we get in Montreal. Do not expect any more major change until next season where quite a few veterans will leave the team and open the doors to a new era. Would have loved Paajarvi .This guy has tons of raw talent but had no one to tame him in Edmonton and obviously did not fit in with all the other youngsters. Perron would have been nice also although maybe a bit riskier… I just hope Bergevin does not go for guys like Jagr or Morrow. Expensive veterans that will not make the ultimate difference this season .

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Sounds like he’s in pretty deep on the Morrow talks. Not sure what I think about it either.

One positive way to look at it (if it does happen) is that he certainly won’t go for big dollars (not enough cap space) and the way MB has been negotiating, it won’t be much of a term either.

The way MB framed the Briere signing was that he was a great vet to have in the room to help until the younger guys are ready to take over the team (a bridge player of sorts).

If that is the same role that they see for Morrow…I’m not as opposed to it as initially I would’ve been.

• JUST ME says:

Not that i am opposed in any way. Veterans are precious and with all the youngsters coming in the organization in the next years or so , we need to absorb as much knowledge and experience as we can .

I just am not sure about what difference it will make next season since it is going to be a transitional year and that a spot on the roster might as well be shared by guys from Hamilton for a trial with the big team.

55. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Reading the Briere article in the thread below, I couldn’t help but feel that at least part (if not a significant part) of the reason Briere didn’t sign with Montreal the first time around was more to do with the state of the organization at that time than the fishbowl that is Montreal.

While he commended the direction that Molson, MB and MT are taking the team, it seemed as if there was a backhanded slight against the direction he felt the team was going back then.

The quality of the organization means a lot to these guys (as it does to anyone looking for work) and it seems (at least more so than before) that players are starting to look at Montreal as a good organization to play for.

With the rumours of Morrow talking at length to MB (as well as being involved in Clowe, Clarkson and Vinny talks), it seems as though players are more open to the idea of coming here.

Not saying I wanted to sign any of those guys, just that the Habs appear to be a more desirable destination.

• Morenz7 says:

Yeah, I got that vibe too. People talk about enigmatic players. Bob Gainey was an enigmatic general manager. You wonder how his conversations with UFAs (and their agents) went.

56. bwoar says:

To assuage concern’s about McCarron’s icetime in London:

Grant McCagg ‏@grantmccagg
    London gave up a 5th and 3 second rounders (cond.) for McCarron’s rights. Been told that “Mark loves him.” He’ll get lots of ice time.

“thoroughbred”

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Concerns assuaged :)

Thanks for that!

I really think McCarron is going to need some development and refinement — he’s not Galchenyuk who can step right in and make an impact.

Still like the pick and having him in the system, but development is going to be a big deal for him, so want him in the right spot!

57. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I like the idea of McCarron going to London — think with his style of play, being in the OHL under the Hunters will benefit him more than Michigan (though Murray is an excellent coach and mentor).

One question for those who know the CHL better than me — the Knights are a pretty deep team, correct? Will he be able to get top line minutes?

I really hope the Bulldogs make the AHL play-offs next season and surprise.

Read an article in one of the Toronto papers recently showing all the turnover on the Marlies team. Many of the experienced journeymen AHL’ers they had last season have moved on, others have moved up to the Leafs. The Dogs will indeed return a great deal of the young core who were rookies this past season.

I would anticipate they at least make the play-offs or be in a Dog fight for a position, unlike last year.

Our head coach will also hopefully have learned a great deal from his rookie season as a Head coach.

• Sam Boni says:

Wwwoof! (best I could come up with for a dog laugh)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Morenz7 says:

Hope so. They play the bloody Marlies, like, 27 times a season. Bit disappointing to watch them here last year.

• von says:

I’m concerned about the ‘Dogs coaching staff. It’ll be interesting to see how things go and how much of a leash Lefebvre has.
        _________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

59. bwoar says:

Can anyone please tell me, what is the advantage of signing the kid to his ELC now? Isn’t it usual to offer that deal when a young player is ready to turn pro?

“thoroughbred”

• chanchilla says:

it doesn’t make a difference either way. The entry level contract wont go into effect until he plays in the big league.

• HardHabits says:

I think it is so that he can play in OHL as opposed to the NCAA

• Un Canadien errant says:

Only if he was an absolute bust would it be any advantage to wait. Theoretically, if it turned out he couldn’t play, they wouldn’t have to pay him for three years of hopeless play in the AHL/ECHL, they could just wipe their hands and move on.

With no-brainers like Alex Galchenyuk, you sign them right away usually, and slide their contract while they’re in junior.

With draftees with longer odds, like Darren Dietz or Tim Bozon, you wait to see how they pan out, maybe a year, then you sign them.

With guys like Dalton Thrower that you have questions about, and wonder if he’s worth offering a contract to at this stage, you wait until their second year after being drafted, hope they show you something, then sign them.

The risk to the Canadiens might be, if they waited too long, like it seemed they might have done with Darren Dietz this winter, that the player may decide to not sign a contract, wait out the full two years, and then re-enter the draft. That’s not a great advantage to the player usually, so it would only happen in specific cases (ie: a player drafted to a city he doesn’t want to go to, with an organization that he hasn’t had a great relationship with).

**EDIT: With players who you draft with a later pick, observe their progression over the two years leeway you have (CHL), but who don’t pan out, and who you think won’t be NHL’ers, you plain don’t offer them a contract, as the Canadiens did with Olivier Archambault this spring

Long story short, the more a player is a sure thing, and the more you have invested in him, the sooner you want to sign him, especially since entry-level contracts are fixed by the CBA and draft position now, there’s no haggling and playing chicken going on. Both sides know what the money and term will be, might as well get it over with.

60. dano58 says:

One thing everyone is missing about the cap for next year is that the Canadien dollar is dropping a little and I understand about 40% of profit comes from teams in Canada so any real change could have a huge impact on the cap and our Habs as well. Please M/B manage wisely and I know before you all jump on me that P/K will get his money but relax maybe we can trade Georges to someone and free up cap space for a nice guy in the room who can do more than just block shots and spout cliche’s all the time.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.” – “?”
    Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

61. Strummer says:

The words `Duffy`and `PEI` in the same paragraph do make me chuckle.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

62. mark-ID says:

a question for those fimiliar with Mike McCarron,

what kind of point total this season in London would be considered a successful season for this guy?

63. Sportfan says:

Congrats McCarron cya ina few years!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

64. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Tell ya what me thinks. If you’re 65 years of age or older the cup you watched the Habs win in 1993 is probably your last one.

25 more years will put you around the ripe old age of 90. Eye site and Memory become a factor.

• Sportfan says:

Nice ray of sunshine right there

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Jackal says:

Troll harder please?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Ozmodiar says:

C’mon, Jackal. Go easy on BION!!

Every blog community needs its flunkies to grease the wheels. Look at it from a functionalist perspective. ;)

• wjc says:

Will win the next 3 years.

wjc

• BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Scotty – Maybe MB will improve the team so as you and a lot of others will see the MONTREAL CANADIANS win another cup before than. Right now it’s not to promising. Some people on her think the MONTREAL CANADIANS are the only team in the NHL that’s trying to improve. There’s a lot of teams way ahead of the MONTREAL CANADAINS. Some people think I am trolling. That’s the one’s that don’t know hockey and how long it takes to build a Stanley cup team in todays NHL.

Have a look around and see how many teams that’s been in the NHL 20 + years and is a long way from winning a cup and people on here think the Montreal Canadians can do it in 3 – 5 years. Give you head a shake and wake up to reality. Every year you have 1-chance in 32 of winning the Stanley cup. if you have a weak team your chance is 0-in 32 and by standards the

MONTREAL CANADIANS are a weak team. If they don’t improve before October you’ll see come April 2014. Right now. almost all the teams have improved except the MONTREAL CANADIANS. Briere is not an improvement over Ryder, Parros is tougher than Armstrong that’s it. Look at it what ever way you want. Same team as last year with a 82 game schedule.

• Psycho29 says:

Must be a Leaf fan. Hab fans know it’s CANADIENS

• Steven says:

So, what I picked up from this:

-The NHL is a 32 team league.
          -It takes many years to build a winner. 20+ even, because the Habs are building on nothing.
          -The team changed their name to a more English spelling.
          -Briere signing is still unloved
          -2nd place team is a weak team

Got it.

• Scotty90 says:

Thanks for that Believe it or not! However sad that is for me (because I am in that age group) I am very happy to have been a part of the Canadiens’ dynasty of the 70s’…… something that you will have to live until you are about 200 years old plus before you experience it….if ever! so there! :)
      (i am assuming you are a young fella who may have only experienced a cup or 2!)

• punkster says:

Speling and a positive attitude will clearly count for nothing.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• habsguy says:

maybe, BUT if you are a leaf fan, chances are you’ve never seen your team win anything !!!!!!

• BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Ian – Get use to watching other teams when the cup for a long time to come. I’m not blaming MB. The GM’s since 1993 has ruined this team and it’s gonna take MB or whom ever 20 + years to win a cup.

If it sounds negative. I speak the way I feel and I’m not alone. And by the way I am very successful in life Negatively must have paid off.

• wjc says:

1993, sorry to disagree by it has been since 1923 that the G.M’s have been ruining the Canadiens.

Even when they won they became spoiled and expected to win.
          Now losing is my only salvation, if they lose I am free of their spell, there hold on me, I can move on to other things.

Yes losing is a relief, it is good to know how the rest of the league feels. Besides as I have learned on here, you can jump on and off their band wagon.

I am a firm believer that rooting for a team and expected a Stanley, helps to cause insanity.

wjc

• Ian Cobb says:

JAMES!
      You sound like a Toronto under water person. I suppose being negative has helped you to be the successful man in life that you are my friend.!

• boing007 says:

It could happen in four more years. Look at the Blackhawks in 2010. And 2013, for that matter. Keep on pushin’ straight ahead.

Richard R

• Andy and the habs says:

Stop screaming your username. I didn’t hear what you had to say.

• Timo says:

All I know is that Dave (Punkster) will live longer than I will.

All of our kids are in very good hands for guidance on how to develop their game at a professional level. In 1 to 4 years, they will start to appear in the Red White and Blue at the Bell Center once they are professionally ready to entertain with developed talent.

SUMMIT NEWS!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

66. frontenac1 says:

Loved the Stewart Bros. since their Kingston Frontenac days. Hey amigos, that “Ten most Notorious Ireland Party Animals” There”s no mention of Dunboyne?

67. junyab says:

EXTREMELY happy to see McCarron make the decision to join the Knights. I think the OHL and Hunter will have a much more impactful influence to his development. Not to mention that I’ll be able to see him when London comes to town.

• Luke says:

I’m happy he signed, and hopefully I’ll get the chance to watch him this year. It’s a great operation, run by very good hockey people but as a skeptic, I wonder how much the signing bonus played into his decision?
      A couple extra hundred grand probably played a bit of a role…

• junyab says:

Perhaps, but I remember McCarron at the draft saying he will continue to develop whereever the Habs prefer him to go.

• Maritime Ron says:

This is where Martin Lapointe and Patrice Brisebois will earn their salaries.
        Here’s also hoping that Hunter surrounds McCarron well and that McCarron feels he doesn’t have to take on a goon role.
        The league always has big guys that can’t skate looking to impress. and a big large sized 1st Round pick is always a target.

• junyab says:

Can’t recall Hunter doing anything like that. Tinordi would be the best example to give.

• Maritime Ron says:

I don’t know if Tinordi HAD to fight or just Wanted to fight, but he racked up 140 penalty minutes in his 1st year including 10 fighting majors and 1 where he ended up with an eye injury and missed 10 games. It could have been worse

• wjc says:

Think about it, 18 years old and a few grand, a no brainer. Not as a skeptic in my opinion, as a realist.

18 years old and all that money, probably never made more then a couple of grand in a year, and probably a lot less.

wjc

Never mind the contract signing bonus, I’m sure the Hunters and friends, did a wonderful job ensuring him that his time in London would be more “profitable” than his time at Western Michigan. ;-)

• Luke says:

Oh that doesn’t happen Burl. This is hockey. It’s Canada’s game. Junior hockeyis as clean as the pure driven snow.

I can’t believe you would even hint that there was some sort of impropriety occuring in Junior hockey.

• wjc says:

When you call yourself a ‘skeptic’ do you mean that as a way of life.

Bonus for signing…….you have to ask if this was part of his decision to sign…..couple of hundred grand extra for an 18 year old.

Money talks, money talks, money talks, money talks…get it.

wjc

• fastfreddy says:

Does MB really think that PK Subban is going to take less than 7mil/yr? He’s going to get Letang money at the very least. Maybe that 5mil/yr deal last year would have been smarter and cheaper. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate MB, but I think he goofed the PK deal.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• mount royal says:

I think that MB knew from the beginning that it would cost him over the longer haul. But, at that time, it was essential to build team spirit and to come to an agreement with PK. Look at the results! He played harder than ever. Now, he has earned that kind of money; a year ago he had not.

68. Maritime Ron says:

Tough being the Habs GM these days.
    He has his work cut out for him and there will be many answers to his overall competence by this time next year.
    Expect a major face lift either forced or by choice..

Just looking ahead, this has to be a not only terribly scary and concerning season of play this year, yet also what will transpire leading up to next summer for Bergevin.

If we look at the D at this exact moment, we have only 3 that are under contract for 2014-15:
    Gorges-Tinordi-Drewiske (you can count Beaulieu if you wish)

For Summer 2014, all of Markov-Emelin-Diaz-Bouillon (probably retire) are Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA)….meaning that even if Bergevin offers them new contracts before June 30th next year, they have the right to refuse and test the UFA market when the Salary Cap will probably rise another $8M-$10M.
    More new money for crazy Owners/GMs to squander.

Lastly, over and above pending RFA Eller, we have the RFA situation of P.K. Subban
    While he always says the right things and ‘appears’ to like Montreal, no one really knows what his own long term plans are.

This will not be a repeat of last summer when PK had no rights.

Because he will have Arbitration rights for both Summer 2014 and Summer 2015 (team can take a player to Arbitration only once) he theoretically can refuse to sign anything long term offered by the Habs, and easily win a + $7M Arbitration award for 1 or 2 years….then become a UFA in Summer 2016.

Who knows what the PK clan and the Don Meehan Newport Sports agencies have up their sleeves.
    Perhaps signing a 1 year deal and getting 1 year closer to being a UFA may be their choice to hit an even larger pay day as the Salary Cap may hit close to $80M in 2016.

If PK and clan feel long term injury security is a huge issue, then the advantage comes back to Bergevinand the Habs….barring a ridiculous Offer Sheet.

• myron.selby says:

While what you say about players entering UFA is undeniably true, it is also true pretty much every year for every team. So basically, business as usual.

• Maritime Ron says:

To varying degreees, but it will be interesting to see how this year unfolds.
        I believe Berg and team will do a good job – tough as it appears

• wjc says:

Too much thinking, too much worrying, too much thinking ahead…..not enough enjoying.

Things will work out, over time, they always do. The players will do fine, the Canadiens will do fine and the fans, well what can I say.

wjc

• jacquesthemonkey says:

You can’t really lump all this issues together. I’m sure Bergevin is aware of what lies ahead and will deal with the issues in a timely fashion. That being said, I’m sure that we will keep some players who want to be here and lose some who are hell bent on making as much money as possible. We aren’t alone in this regard. Everyone has the same cap to deal with.

69. myron.selby says:

I just wasted a perfectly good rant on a dead thread. So here for your reading pleasure (or not so much) is an instant replay:

Things I’m hoping for this season:

– Habs challenge for 1st in the conference all season.

– Markov regains his skating legs and plays the whole season better than he did the first dozen games of last season. He signs another 2 year deal mid-year and retires a Hab.

– Gorges returns to form and plays like he did for the 3 years before the last one.

– Desharnais pots 80 points and is the leading scorer on the team.

– Diaz picks up where he left off before his concussion and is a dangerous power play point man all year. He also continues to improve on his North American game and hits a bit more.

Why do I hope for these things you ask? First off, because I’m a Habs fan and I always want success for the team. Secondly, I’m getting really tired of all the negativity and dumping on players on the team on this site.

How many people here remember that Markov told his agent when he first became a UFA that he had no interest in testing the free agent market, and to just get the best deal he could as a Hab? How many remember what an elite defenceman he’s been his whole career?

How about a little respect for what Desharnais has gone through to make it to the NHL? Or for Gorges flat out effort every shift and how well he played up until last season?

And how about cutting Bergevin a little slack and maybe give him at least 3 years before deciding he’s a complete moron? Or maybe a little slack for a coach who changed his personal style and approach 180 degrees and took a team from dead last in the East to second?

It will be great if all these guys can rise up and shove it down the throats of all the armchair GM’s. Although even an unprecedented rise from 15th to 2nd wasn’t enough to satisfy some people (hello Timo) maybe more of the same will stop the whining. I’m really hoping they build off last season and do even better this year.

End of rant. Nothing to see here, move along.

70. adamkennelly says:

question – why on earth is 2006 not criticized as the Habs worst draft in the history of the universe?

Fisher in round 1 – 2 picks before Claude Giroux.
    Ben Maxwell in round 2 – 1 pick before Milan Lucic
    Mathieu Carle also in round 2
    Ryan White in round 3 – few picks before Brad Marchand.

Pretty sure our Habs would look a lot better with those 3 in our line-up.

• Maritime Ron says:

Maybe because we’re still waiting for the results from the 2008 and 2009 draft?

• Jerman says:

Looking at this, other than 2007 (and possibly 2012 and 2013 as they are very unproven) Habs have been drafting miserably since 1999.

• Forum Dog says:

Looking back at all those drafts, you could say:

a) Montreal drafted poorly; or

b) Very few of the players drafted to the NHL actually end up making it – regardless of which team drafts them.

• Sookieman says:

Fair enough, but look at 2007 and the Habs selected 4 of the top 25 point producer’s to date, and traded for Eller. How many team wish they had taken Pacio, Subban or McDonagh. Even Weber is up there!

• wjc says:

2006….2006 who cares. Does it matter, that is 7 years ago. Tell you what if this that important to you, check all teams drafts and list them 1 through 30. Should keep you busy and if you still have time on your hands do them all from 2000 on.

That would be great, we would all benefit……..I think.

wjc

• adamkennelly says:

not important to me – at all – I just hear frequent bicthing about other draft years – like taking Carey over Anze in 2005 or AK in 2003..etc…2006 was abysmal…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Been there, done that.

In truth, every team has a year once in a while where they whiff on every pick. Out here in Vancouver, that’s all the fans moan about, how their relentlessly inept drafting kills their team, how they land great players but can’t pick up the third-liners, and never seem to have any depth.

Check out their 2006 draft on hockeydb.com, you’ll see how, as poorly as we did, ultimately it was much better than the Canucks and probably a couple other teams.

71. Rugger says:

Happy to see Duffy getting a chance.

72. Just A Guy says:

This is why I try not to listen to Marinaro:

He’s criticizing MB for not doing everything for trying to pick up Perron, he also acknowledges that Bergeving probably tried everything he could at the entry draft.

Unreal.

• Habsrule1 says:

Who would we have offered comparable to Paajarvi?

Eller? Galchenyuk? Gallagher? Perhaps one of our up & coming D? Beaulieu? Tinordi?

Who would they have taken from the Habs that we’d be ok parting with?

Go Habs Go!!

• Maritime Ron says:

A team has to have a large pool of assets.
        That is built through the draft.
        The Bobby Ryan trade to Ottawa doesn’t happen if Ottawa didn’t get rid of their aging players and stock up for a few years.
        We may be in that position in a few years

• Habfan17 says:

I still think that Ottawa will regret that trade. They gave up too much to get Ryan. I don’t care how good one player is, it takes more to win and although the first round oick may not be a high one, Noesson and Silfverbeg will be pretty solid players.

Habfan17

• JF says:

They gave up basically what the Leafs gave up to get Kessel except that none of the Ottawa first-rounders involved were second overall.

• boing007 says:

None of them!

Richard R

• Newf_Habster says:

Marinaro should stuck with soccer only.

73. Luke says:

Repost from ninja’d thread:

Really liked that ESPN article on the Stewart brothers. So maybe I’ve got a case of the old ‘warm & fuzzies’ but maybe he’s available for a 2-way contract, or low $ 1-way deal.

Now while Anthony is not a goon, nor does he rack up major PIMs, he is huge man and an UFA.

28yrs old. Has scored in the double digits in the NHL, and can definitelty do it in the AHL.

He seems more useful to me than Blunden or some of the others. Heck, depending on his skating, he might be more useful than Moen.
    Maybe his Brother would like to be on the same team as him too?

Do it MB!

So there you go. A little ESPN social engineering… hahaha

74. Maritime Ron says:

6’5″-228 pounds?
    Big young man for someone that just turned 18 four short months ago.
    What will he look like in 3-4 years?

75. DadidolizedDougHarvey says: