McCarron signs entry-level contract, off to Knights; Duffy signs with ‘Dogs

mccarron-2

Michael McCarron had his eyes opened wide at last week’s Canadiens development camp. On Thursday, he signed a 3-year entry-level contract with the Habs.
Jamie Squires, Getty Images

The  Canadiens announced Thursday morning the signing of Michael McCarron to a three-year entry-level contract, clearing the way for him to suit up next season with the Ontario Hockey League’s London Knights.

From the Habs release: The Canadiens’ first selection at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, No. 25 overall, McCarron had five goals, 10 points and a plus-1 differential in 19 games with the United States National Team Development Program in 2012-13. In each of his two seasons with the USNTDP, the 6-foot-5, 228-pound winger has led his team in penalty minutes per game.

The Macomb, MI, native participated in the Canadiens’ development camp from July 3-7.

Meanwhile:

Canadiens and Hamilton Bulldogs GM Marc Bergevin announced Thursday the signing of free agent forward Ben Duffy to a one-year, two-way American Hockey League / ECHL contract for the 2013-2014 season.  As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

In 2012-2013, Duffy won the Jean Beliveau Trophy as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s scoring champion with 110 points.  The 21-year-old also led the QMJHL in assists with 71 and finished 11th in the league in goals with 39.  The Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia native also registered 215 shots, posted a +17 rating and recorded four penalty minutes in 68 regular season games for the Prince Edward Island Rockets.  In six post-season games, the 5-foot-10, 175-pound forward produced four points (two goals, two assists).

In five seasons with the PEI Rocket, Duffy compiled 341 points (139 goals, 202 assists) and 18 penalty minutes in 334 regular season games and eight points (five goals, three assists) in 19 post-season games.

1,231 Comments

1. nunacanadien says:

Let’s hope Macaroon or MaKaren, kind of has a wimpy looking face, maybe he’ll end up being a gentle giant like Gill, a human pylon who wouldn’t punch to save his life.

2. Maritime Ron says:

Lombardi’s Little Italy Manhattan
    1st pizzeria in North America

3. HabFanSince72 says:

I though the oddest comment of the pizza debate was smart dog’s “Rome is for pussies”.

But then it hit me. He REALLY hates Swiss defenders.

4. Captain aHab says:

If you come to Ottawa, the place to go for gourmet pizza is La Favorita.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

5. Un Canadien errant says:

My post got zapped by the HIO gremlins, it was a bit of a long one, but still…

I was trying to reply to donmarco’s question on the previous page, where he questioned me as to how I could blame him for the concussions and dirty play prevalent in the NHL, but had to generalize it for it to make sense on its own on my blog.

Follow the link below if interested.

I also wanted to link it to another piece from last year, when I enjoined Gary Bettman to do his effin’ job. The satire is maybe over the top, but the main points I make in it, that the GM’s shouldn’t be in charge of rule changes, or at least should be held accountable to reach clear and achievable targets to ensure the quality of play in the NHL.

6. Un Canadien errant says:

donmarco, the concussions and dirty play are entirely Gary Bettman’s fault. He’s the CEO, he’s ultimately responsible. He’s more concerned with balance sheets and entering into incestuous TV deals with networks owned by one of this 30 owners (instead of the correct choice of ESPN) than he is about the actual quality of the game he’s trying to sell.

I’ve said this often, and I’ll repeat it now, but other sports have taken steps to make their game more fan-friendly and spectacular.

Rugby Union was a sport that was threatened by Rugby League’s growth, and its own insistence on players retaining ‘amateur’ status. It reacted, legalizing professional players, and the game has exploded. European clubs, the Super Twelve in Oz and NZ, the Tri-Nations and Six Nations tournaments, all are leaving Rugby League in the dust.

Also, the sport has tweaked its rules to ensure that boring, defensive teams like England, who used to kick the ball away without mercy, like dump-and-chase in hockey, and then hoped for a fortuitous penalty call or two to kick an easy penalty kick or two, and win a stultifying 6-3 game, at the expense of ticket buyers and television spectators, cannot prevail anymore. Now, the value of the try has been increased from four to five points, so it’s worth it to attack instead of just play for a kick, and it’s near impossible to strictly play defense against a superior team. If you try to collapse a maul or ruck, or wheel a scrum, the attacking team gets the ball , the defending team is penalized. The refs don’t even need to ‘prove’ that the infraction was intentional, it’s not like the incidental trips that NHL refs turn a blind eye to. The team that was going forward keeps the ball, the team that had everything to gain by playing anti-rugby, is held strictly responsible.

It makes sense. If an NHL player is on a partial breakaway and is being backchecked by a defenceman, and both tangle and fall and the play is over, it makes sense that the defending player caused it and benefited from it. Why not automatically call the penalty on the defenceman, it’s not like the attacking player made himself fall. Except that with referees not calling hooking and slashing and holding, defensive players do all of that, and prevent a clear chance on goal, so the player on breakaway now decides he may try to dive and draw a penalty, get a scoring chance that way, cause he’s not going to score with Mike Kostka hacking away at his hands.

NFL football liberalized its passing rules to allow for more open games, to transform the game from the Ohio State “three yards and a cloud of dust” approach to the Air Coryell philosophy. Offensive linemen were allowed to extend their arms in pass blocking and put their hands on defensive players, as long as they don’t hold (wink, wink). Defensive backs were restricted to a five-yard bump zone, beyond which they cannot contact a receiver who doesn’t have the ball without incurring a penalty.

Later, rules such as the Tom Brady rule, preventing a defensive player from tackling a quarterback at the knees or below were enacted. Another rule prevents any defensive player from striking a QB on the helmet, no matter how slight the contact. These were introduced in the realization that the quarterbacks are the ones responsible for the success of the league, they’re the face of their respective teams, they’re responsible for the quality of the show. The NFL knows it’s better off with Peyton Manning starting against Ben Roethlisberger, rather than if their backups were. Defensive players who grumble that you can’t touch Aaron Rodgers are missing the point that it’s the same rule for both defences, so it evens out, and more importantly, it’s Aaron Rodgers that makes everyone rich, including the defensive linemen trying to sack him.

Somehow the NHL doesn’t get that. Star players such as Sidney Crosby or Daniel Sedin or Jeremy Roenick are fair game, they’re beaten to within an inch of their life during the season and playoffs, and some miss vast stretches of games. It would make too much sense for the league to protect its stars, like the NFL does, but instead, it kow-tows to Mike Milbury and Don Cherry.

I’ve mentioned how the NBA went all in on Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, and later Michael Jordan, and allowed them to play the game at the peak of their potential, instead of allowing Bill Laimbeer to knee and push and roughhouse them to a standstill. Again an easy call.

Meanwhile the NHL lets Mike Hough hook Wayne Gretzky, and allows Matt Cooke to headhunt Marc Savard, and Duncan Keith to elbow and slash Daniel Sedin, in the name of defensive hockey. Which is ridiculous. Hockey should be tilted toward the skill players, not the slashers and muckers who can’t keep up. Hockey should be up and down, back and forth, high scoring action, with tic-tac-toe passing, speed and breakaways and two-on-ones and three-on-twos, still with hitting and toughness, but the kind where Ryan Kesler squares off against Patrice Bergeron, and where Vincent Lecavalier against Jarome Iginla, not where Milan Lucic takes Dominic Moore’s head off, because he might as well since he’s going to get away with it.

The fact is, third liners and fourth liners should be guys like Mason Raymond and Aaron Palushaj, not Travis Moen and Ryan White, or George Parros. Imagine if that’s what we saw when the fourth lines were on the ice, ‘undersized’ flyers from the European leagues, or the LHJMQ, racing up and down the ice still, not quite as good as Ovechkin or Malkin, but still darn entertaining, instead of Ryan Malone and Greg Campbell.

So yes, the NHL is strangling its own game. They should be serving non-stop action, but instead deal up shotblocking and 2-1 scores.

I’ve used a restaurant analogy before, where you have a barely surviving operation, and the chef wants to take some dishes like macaroni and cheese or the fried baloney sandwich off the menu, but the manager won’t let him, because there’s a small but vocal bunch of regulars who’ll squawk when that happens. And instead of realizing that those regulars, with their loudmouth antics and cigar smoke and intolerant attitudes to other patrons who’d appreciate a different atmospheres, are the ones driving the business into the ditch, the manager tries to placate them, for fear of losing their $8 bi-weekly check.

Instead, take the baloney off the menu, tell the cranky regulars to go somewhere else for their baloney if they’re not happy, and by the way they can’t occupy the best tables all afternoon lording it over everyone and acting like they own the joint. Let’s reserve those tables for the college girls looking for a nice salad after yoga.

In my analogy, Gary Bettman is the GM of the restaurant, who worries more about the books and trite marketing with coupons and cross-promotions with the tire store down the street, instead of securing the central pillar of his business, a quality product at a fair price. Sure, he can’t go in the kitchen and cook himself, but he can ensure that everyone responsible for putting out quality meals are supported with training and equipment, and then held accountable for that high standard to be maintained.

Instead, Gary Bettman is incapable of seeing that the game is much less than it could be, since he has no feel for it, no experience, he didn’t grown up with it, watching it or playing it. He thinks because the ratings are rising that things must be okay. He can’t remember the Oilers of the eighties, Guy Lafleur flying up the wing, has no sense of what Hakan Loob meant to the people of Calgary, and how such a player might not even make the NHL nowadays.

He has abysmal, fatally-flawed Colin Campbell as his Director of Hockey Operations, even after the conflict of interest exhibited in his leaked emails mortally wounded any credibility he might have had. Mr. Campbell is the dim bulb that brainiac Bob Probert easily outwitted to continue using drugs and drinking alcohol while ‘on rehab’ as a Wing, as told in the latter’s biography. That such an underqualified goon is allowed to lay waste to hockey, while there are so many other talented people who could fill the role, is a fireable offence. Why doesn’t he have a Paul Kariya or Igor Larionov being groomed to take that role?

So yes, Gary Bettman is responsible for the concussions and defensive-play and triumph of coaching and systems over talent, skill and creativity that brings us out of our seats. Think about it, when was the last time Anton Volchenkov brought you out of your seat by blocking a shot? Gary Bettman favours the practitioners of anti-hockey, maybe without really being aware of it, since he don’t know hockey, but as the CEO, he’s ultimately responsible for the dead-puck era and the concussion era.

7. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Since I do not have a private jet, I will stick to Mtl for my view of the pizza scene. You basically have two styles: A thicker style (lots of cheese and peperoni propagated by mostly Greek restauranteurs) or the classic Italian thin crust (found at Italian eateries). Since I do not frequent many restaurants, I can not assess which is the best, only which I like.

I don’t really have a preference for a restaurant or pizza type for the thin Italian style as: 1) usually the restaurant is good if they have a super-hot oven (e.g., brick) and 2) most combinations work very well. For example, I like grilled chicken with sun-dried tomatoes on pesto. The issues with these places are they can be pretentious and sometimes can charge a lot for something you can fold and eat in two seconds.

The thick style type places are typically the opposite in terms of personality as they are usually family run-no frills businesses. This type of pizza is where all-dressed is the best and variations usually do not work well (e.g., Hawaiian). My favorite all-dressed version is with the pepperoni on top so it can get crispy. Another variation I love is with the pepperoni inside and bacon and onions on top. The bacon and onions get crispy which adds a nice (and tasty) contrast. Since I live in the West Island, my favorite is Nikkos. You need two hands and a gym membership to hold a piece. I’m sure they are other good places too.

Great..now I’m freakin’ hungry…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Great moves, DDO, but an all-dressed pizza cannot suffer or withstand any toppings other than pepperoni, mushrooms and green peppers, along with the basic sauce and cheese. I mean, it’s already all-dressed. You cannot dress it more, with abberational onions or superfluous bacon (yes, I said it.) You add to the all-dressed, it becomes overdressed, or collapses upon itself like a dying star morphing into a black hole.

• Captain aHab says:

Have you tried Luna Pizza in the West Island? It’s the one we preferred when we lived there.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. BIAS says:

Boring Hockey summer so far. Come October we’ll be talking about what MB should have done especially if we get off to a slow start.

9. habstrinifan says:

Anyone read Kovalchuk’s Mom”s interview. She seemed pretty straightforward.

Reported:
    Kovalchuk gets 20mill per season in new KHL contract.

Maybe the KHL is indeed a rival for the NHL and the only, albeit major, hurdle for that league to overcome and become equal to the NHL is for it to get a more respected and favourable perception here in Noth America and thus become a real alternative for high level NHLERS.

Issues like travel safety etc.

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Often, you step away from HIO, since duty calls, and magic happens in your absence. Sometimes magic happens in my absence, at the very least, and I’m not sure what that says about my contributions. Maybe I am sure, but refuse to accept it.

In any case, today was one of those days. First off, there were no multiple threads and a thousand-odd posts to catch up on, it was very manageable to pick up where I left off and follow up.

First, the site admins resurrected my lost post. It wasn’t a magnum opus, but I was taking another important dig in my personal excavation of the depths of Gary Bettman’s ignorance and ineptitude, and it irked me to see it vanish, never to return. Or so I thought. I wondered if I’d run afoul of a Gary Bettman rule, intended to lower the temperature and soothe tempers, that limited the number of times his name could be brought up.

IF A>B, with A=Gary Bettman, Buttman, Butthead, (permutations list), and B=something realistic,
    THEN SHUT the MOFO down.

This rule is probably applied to other subjects, like Kyle McLaren, or André Dupont. Alfie Turcotte. Alain Héroux. Irving Grundman.

Anyway, my post re-appeared, which is nice, but only a semi-win, since I still don’t know for sure why it was vaporized initially, and can’t evade that trap next time. I guess I’ll try to remember the copy and paste rule, until I forget the time after that.

The offers to help diagnose the problem by bwoar, Chris, HabinBurlington and Sam Boni were appreciated. I like that you told me I’m not the only one this happens to, so I know I’m not crazy, right? johnnylarue tried to slime in and turn the situation to his advantage, but that’s just living up to his avatar. Dunboyne Mike tried, as usual, to take this subject off on a tangent, but in this specific instance, thankfully, was impotent to do so.

So I had that going for me, which is nice, but there was more. First, as noted by other posters, there was a tone of civility and collegiality in the conversation that is sadly missing sometimes. Timo made his acerbic appearance, but his sourness was the 1/2 cup of vinegar or tablespoon of lemon juice most stews need to bring all the flavours together, whether HiB’s angelic positivity, or HabFanSince72′s rueful wistfulness.

Also, there were some major irritants removed, again as noted by others. No excessive attacks on Marc Bergevin’s intellect, or David Desharnais ability as a hockey player or intrinsic worth as a person. No trade scenarios packaging Travis Moen and Josh Gorges to obtain an RFA All-Star. All participants weighing in on our goaltending situation seemed relatively balanced, intellectually and emotionally.

The highlight for me though was the pizza discussion. A good time was had by most, I can see. I actually could use the horrid, ubiquitous LOL on this one, because it actually applied in this case. Some posts were very funny, either dry and, um, pithy, or outright hilarious.

In the latter category, Strummer took the prize with his description of his own pizza ritual, how crucial the selection process at the grocer’s freezer display window is, and the important tip to peel off the cellophane when the pie is removed from the freezer. johnnylarue, you going to let him talk to you like that? Because he was obviously spoofing your intolerant fastidiousness, among other posters.

As far as the proposition, I am in the Affirmative. Pineapple on a pizza is an abomination. It is probably 4% responsible for my breakup with my last girlfriend. Instead of making an all-dressed pizza, and a spinach and feta pizza for dinner and subsequent lunches, I had to make a half all-dressed, half ham and pineapple. Sometimes some of the pineapple’s juice would run across the diametrical border onto my slice. Even incidents of an actual piece of pineapple, nestled between a mushroom and pepperoni, which I’d blocked out until today.

Heck, maybe it was more like 10%

The best pizza, which some of you guys may be unaware, if you still live in Québec, is the classic all-dressed pizza. There’s a certain herb or spice or ingredient in the sauce or the pepperoni or whatever that is missing when I make my own or order an all-dressed pizza here. It’s good, it’s really good, and I can’t quite put my finger on anything being wrong, really, until I return to Montréal and walk by a pizzeria and get a whiff of that aroma, and have to go in to ascertain that, yes, pizza is best in Montréal. It has that literal je ne sais quoi.

As an aside, the ‘all-dressed’ pizza was one of my first tangible demonstrations of the Two Solitudes. Try to order one out here, and you get a blank stare. You have to list the ingredients if you desire an all-dressed pizza. Hawaiian they get, All Dressed, no. Twisted. I’m used to that now, but when I first came out West, I had no idea that ‘all-dressed’ wasn’t universal. And an indication of how civilization lost its way. All dressed has everything you need. Dough, sauce, layers of pepperoni, mushrooms and green peppers, then some gooey mozzarella. That’s it. Nothing more need ever be added. Including horrors like BBQ chicken, or curried chicken, or any chicken. Or pineapple.

Now, if there’s a vegetarian in the group, a Greek pizza with feta and black olives will do fine, but the second-best pizza ever is the Spinach Special from Misty Mountain Pizza in Whistler, circa 1990′s CE. The dough was thick and chewy and toasted almost to a burn on the edges, as I craved as a young man. Don’t get me started on the whole ‘thin crust’ scam. What, do I want less food for the same cost, you ask? Oh, it’s an add-on? Sign me up, I’m making $12 an hour, I’ve got money to burn in my food budget…

Anyway, on top of that big hunk of crust was some sauce, certainly, and then at least a half an inch of chopped and wilted spinach. I’m talking mondo spinach, with a lot of garlic mixed in, very fragrant, but not overpowering. Top it off with generous amounts of mozza and salty, crumbly caramelized feta and sundried tomatoes (those were big back then, to Jerry Seinfeld’s dad’s bemusement), and you had a winner. Misty was open after bar close, so it was an opportunity for a young man to display his phenotypic fitness to a prospective mate (if you could afford $5 slices after a night of drinking in Whistler, you were doing something right, and probably not squatting in the woods around the Village). After cutting her from the herd, once you had an aromatic slice in her hands, especially if she was a wide-eyed innocent from Seattle or Vancouver or Toronto or LA or Melbourne transported by the romance of it all, with the snow falling all around you, and multitudes of drunks stumbling around, you were three quarters of the way home.

For those of you making plans to come out for a sampling though, don’t bother. Misty closed down for a few years, then reopened when the owner returned to Whistler, but it’s not the same. You can’t go home again. Experiment at home with the ingredients, do some googling, you’ll come up with better results than even Rose can conjure up these days.

• habstrinifan says:

@ UCE:
      Awakening post. Loved it. I must say though that I am re-considering our burgeoning friendship since you still seem to be plastering that meat substitute, pepperoni on your pizza.

Pepperoni, like hotdogs, should only be eaten at backyard pool gatherings where the chlorine on your hands lessens the negative effect.

I hadnt participated in the pizza discussion as I now exclusively eat my own creation. And believe me ‘creation’ is deliberately choosen here as my homemade pizza is a wondruous artisan’s oeuvre comprising an aggregate of vegetarian fare.

Start of course with whole wheat crust taken from the freezer and left at room temperature until thawed. Any suggestion of ‘mechanical’ defrosting on this occasion is a sin causing expulsion from my garden of Eden.

Place your pie on pizza screen. Did you think I was gonna say pan… how uncivilized.This will ensure all freezer moisture is removed during baking.

Touch a dab of olive oil to a piece of saran-wrap and gently (think of your favourite lady’s curves) oil the crust.. this helps for a beautiful brown and crisp texture.

Plop a dollop of pizza sauce (I do homemade but you can use the store stuff) in the middle and gently spread the sauce in circles and then in outward triangulations.. remember the curves imagery.

Arrange a layer of sliced zuchini (not razor sliced) in circles, outward-in, ensuring that there is a circle of zuchini as close to the dough’s edge as possible.Zuchini must not be touching in any direction.

Then in order to appease the common heritage of pizza, you sprinkle the populist ingredients of onions and bell peppers ensuring that the spaces between the zuchini are evenly covered .. heavy on the onions.

Next you layer, as you did the zuchini, sliced mushroom (again properly dried from washing… you dont eat with wet hands do you.. why bake with wet mushrooms)

Then sprinkle in some very fresh and tinily(did I say minutely..are you even paying attention) cubed celery stalk. Make sure this is green as green can be. Trust me this will provide crunchy eating that will give your molars a workout.

Then evenly drop pieces of drained hot pepper slices. Make sure they are drained … dryness is important. Note I said drop not sprinkled.. this is work man.. work!

By now you should be changing to CD #2 of your Kenny Rogers compilation.

Now for the aristocratic touch. To show that you have evolved.

Evenly and delicately place quarter sized brocoli florets as green and fresh as you can. Notice I did not use the word layer … you’re not making up a bed man!

Now (and only now) you grate your mozarella cheese. Copious amounts. Do not use the fine surfaces of the grater. Then sprinkle. There should be cheese strips hanging off the edge but not touching the screen tray.

Your oven should have been set at 425 F. Place on middle rack and turn heat down to 400 immediately. Bake for 12 mins. Only checking at the 12 min mark.. if you want edges browner and crispier.. give an extra 90 secs MAX. Remember though once you remove the pizza it still ‘cooks’ on the counter for approx 20 secs.

Eat immediately. This is not ideal pizza cold. You cannot replicate the freash veggie taste by reheating.

And please if you are not opening a sparkling bottle of wine or maybe room temperature spiced rum.. then just have water. You are eating a masterpiece .. forego the POP, which is medicinal quackery turned into a drink.

Note also… only Bruins and Leaf hordes serve fruit on pizza. True fans of Les Habitants are much more Gallic and we eat our fruits lover style.. do I need to explain?

• Un Canadien errant says:

trini, that confirms that if we worked together, for example, we could respect each other’s abilities and competence, and nod at each other when we crossed paths in the corridor or on the bay floor, but could never be friends.

Cubed celery? You’re trolling right? On top of a mechanically prepared, frozen whole wheat crust? Heresy.

I make my own dough, but an even quicker option for the busy hungry lazy man is to buy the dough for $2 from Pasta Lupino, you get a ball that can make two pizza crusts, or even better, call ahead and they make you a double portion into three balls, which gives you a perfect amount of crust, not too thick, which admittedly for me would have to be as thick as a pizza box, and certainly not too thin, when cursed moisture (on that score, we agree) can make it soggy and it can break apart.

Anyway, with fresh dough, you can cater to your inner Kramer, and start to make your own pie.

KRAMER: Yeah, we give you the dough, you smash it, you pound it, you fling it in the air.

KRAMER: It’s a pizza place where you make your own pie! We give you the dough, the sauce, the cheese…you pound it, slap it, you flip it up into the air…you put your toppings on and you slide it into the oven! Sounds good, huh?

As far as proscribing pepperoni, again to quote Kramer:

KRAMER: What gives you the right to tell me how I would make my pie?

Aside from banning pineapple, or curried chicken, that’s whack.

There are so many other things wrong with your approach. For example, everything about your pie sounds too planned, ordered. There’s a reason the Italian people invented the pizza, not the Germans or the Swiss. A pizza is a work of art, an expression of love, not an engineered automatronic food arrangement carved in stone. Let things fly, man. Sure, distribute the pepperoni slices evenly, but don’t have a cow if some of them touch. Breathe. Think joyous thoughts, and charge ahead.

I like my oven hot, more like 450 degrees, and I put the pizza pan (like yours, perforated, it manages excess moisture quite well, and produces a crisp bottom) on the second highest grill position. It being this close to the broiler, I can zap it for an extra 30 seconds or so near the end to caramelize the top but good.

As far as the Kenny Rogers, that’s not a likely choice for me, if I’m going nostalgic with music from my parents, I’ll go Jacques Brel or Jos Dassin or even Robert Charlebois. I do have a more tolerant view of Kenny Rogers though, since one of my previously-mentioned Swedish roommate’s parents raised her on that music, so she’d put that on sometimes and then both of my Swedish roommates would dance around the apartment and sing along. Sigh.

The drink of choice is icy cold beer.

Glad to have enlightened you.

Ian Cobb, since you probably have time to kill, why don’t you get us a commercial kitchen on the Thursday or Sunday of the Summit, and we can have an HIO pizza cook-off and taste test ? It sounds like quite a few members have some moves they’d want to bust. All proceeds would proceed directly to our midlines and hindquarters.

• Max says:

Sounds gross dude.

11. haboholic68NJ says:

On the topic of best pizza, none better than Pizzeria Santa Lucia located in the italian riviera at 42 Piazza Martiri della Liberta, Santa Margherita Ligure.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://petertoliasmusic.site11.com/Music_Site/OtherOriginalMusi

12. boing007 says:

Cool is the Rule.

Richard R

13. Bill says:

If we are talking about pizza for real … I am sure all the St. FX grads and all the northern Nova Scotia guys will agree … The best pizza anywhere is at The Wheel in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. I can’t explain it, but it’s a fact.

14. Habifax says:

Players got a lot of dough.

15. SmartDog says:

Since pizza is perhaps too contentious (though we did get out of that conversation without anyone needing to call George Parros), I’d like to know what is your favorite game meal? I mean WATCHING not playing.

And you’re not allowed to say “chicken and pasta”. Snap, that’s good for the players but for us couch potatoes that’s like food to eat while watching hockey with nuns on Sunday afternoon.

Mine’s a bit plate of chicken korma with dal and nan bread with a cool Kilkenny. After that Chinese food from a carton – has to be in a carton. And only in third position do I pick the traditional steak and chicken wings with a side of deep fried clams.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

16. frontenac1 says:

@boing. I hear you amigo. Coburn, Bogey, George Raft,James Cagney. They don’t make them like that anymore.

17. HabFanSince72 says:

The unquestionably best pizza in the world is to be found in Rome.

This place is legendary and deservedly so:

but there are countless others.

The best frozen pizza is Stromboli. IMO they are the best on the market. Even better than most restaurants.

Speaking of which… all this pizza talk and I decided to have the last one I had lingering in my freezer… and lo and behold it was the very same Legumes one being advertised on Stromboli’s home page.

I crank them in the oven frozen but if you’re patient and have the time it’s best to let them thaw out before cooking.

19. frontenac1 says:

C”mon Als! Get it going!

20. frontenac1 says:

The Queen? I think I saw her jump out of a helicopter. She”s ok by me amigos.

21. frontenac1 says:

@boing007. James Coburn. Now that man had class. “In Like Flint”. A classic for all time amigo. Saludos!

22. frontenac1 says:

Montreal Pizza is the best amigos. All dressed and extra greasy.

23. frontenac1 says:

Youppi is an evil orange bastard.

24. s33saw says:

There’s a great place here in NYC called Adrienne’s. The spicy sausage with onions and arugula is amazing.

• Alex_425 says:

Where, exactly? I might be heading down to NYC in November, maybe I’ll stop by.

But I’m no expert….

• johnnylarue says:

If we’re talking NYC, here’s the pizza place that changed my life:

Domenico DeMarco has to be a thousand years old. He’s an artisanal pizza maker from Italy who’s been operating his modest business out of a tiny hole in the wall in Brooklyn since the 60s. He makes every pizza there himself, and to watch him go is a thing of tragic beauty.

ANYONE who wants to sample one of the best pies in North America owes it to themselves to pay Domenico a visit. His shop is kitty-corner from the Avenue J subway stop. Call first–hours are not necessarily regular. Bring an appetite. And reverence.

Here’s a great short documentary on him: http://vimeo.com/16077855

25. fastfreddy says:

Habs have several players in the 21-23 yrs.old down in Hamilton. Somebody has to be ready to come up with the big boys this year or it could be short season for the Habs (no play-offs).

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

26. Alex_425 says:

Today has taught me a valuable lesson, that this community is just as passionate about pizza toppings as they are about our national sport.

But I’m no expert….

27. Sportfan says:

Does anyone actually see Markov or Diaz being traded no with all the PP bs from last year and seeing Bouillon and Gorges on the PP together says Markov and Diaz aren’t out unless Beaulieu is ready to play full-time.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. The Dude says:

I say Lucic is by far Bostons’s best player,he does it all : Scores ,clutch player ,checks , good vision ,fights and wins,money player and never gets injured and if you piss him off he’ll take your toughest player and legally fk him up …as well he give’s his team BALLS! I WOULD TRADE ANYONE ON THE HABS FOR LUCIC EXCEPT SUBBAN in a Heartbeat!Yep, this last play-off finals showed me his chi ! Lucic makes his team a finalist twice in three years…The rest of the Boston bruins is average by his standards.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

So Lucic is by far better than Bergeron? You would also trade Pacioretty or Galchenyuk for him? Well, I´m not surprised. You´re just completely clueless.

• Alex_425 says:

I agree with you, with the exception of everything you just said.

Look, Lucic is a damn good power forward, I get that, but Bergeron is the Andres Iniesta of the Boston Bruins. HE’S the best player on that team.

But I’m no expert….

• The Dude says:

Alex if Bergeron could stay healthy I’d agree but both you and I know he’s one concussion away from retirement as is Briere and unfortunately both are NHL hockey players …so it’s just a matter of time. Lucic is a fking Gladiator… a mofo Spartacus and I would never in 50 years of being a Canadiens fan be more happy if by some miracle he became a Hab right now!

• H.Upmann says:

Bergeron is definately the one Bruin I like watching when he’s on the ice.. hope he remains healthy

• JF says:

Andres Iniesta is my favourite soccer player. He looks like an accountant but he’s a wizard at creating space and threading passes through.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

It certainly would be a mistake to underestimate Lucic’s ability to contribute, but I’d think subtracting him from that roster would be better than subtracting Chara, Rask, Bergeron, or Krejci.

But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

• neumann103 says:

Was just about to post essentially the same thing with exactly that list (adding Krejci to the people others listed)

Lucic is extremely useful in that he concentrates several roles into one roster spot, but the others mentioned are more critical to the success of that team

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. I understand what the Dude is saying, and I’ll meet him partway. I don’t think Milan Lucic is the best player on the Bruins, but he’s the player no other team has an answer for, the big, tough, mean, strong player who can play wing on a first line. Like a Zdeno Chara from three seasons ago, when he wasn’t noticeably slowing down, he’s the player you can’t match up against. David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Séguin and Brad Marchand are great hockey players, but you can deal with them. Milan Lucic, is in a class of his own.

I hate to say it, but it’s no accident that he destroyed our two big tough defencemen, Mike Komisarek and now Alexei Emelin. Flat out put them out of the game, while he was no worse for wear.

No wonder we have Bruins issues, and impressionable youth praying for the day Jarred Tinordi can exact vengeance, sangre por sangre, which I’m convinced can never happen.

29. habs001 says:

Do the Habs sign Kovalchuk in 3 years…lol…

30. Sportfan says:

What are the odds we see Nygren play in the NHL this year?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. myron.selby says:

Salaries find their own level. Given that there is a spending cap and a spending floor, this stuff is pretty much self-governing. Teams that spend too much on their star players won’t be able to afford to sign their next level players and will ultimately be unsuccessful.

On the other hand, a team that refuses to pay fair market value for their own UFAs will lose them to other teams and also be unsuccessful. It’s a balancing act which makes being a GM far more difficult than it used to be. Cap management is as important as talent evaluation now as a skill that a team needs.

This is why the UFA market is such a quagmire for teams. As we just witnessed, there is usually serious over-payment for quite a number of free agents. I think MB is smart to use this as only a small part of how he plans to build a team.

32. on2ndthought says:

Crowing: I figured out gravatar! Some other geek (err genius) had on2ndthought at wordpress.com but not .org . would let me into one, not other… OK never mind the details… mini-technology triumph for a guy who still remembers watching the Habs/Goouins in B+W!

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Congrats! It took me about a year myself.

Now pick a better picture, the one you have up is too small to show contrasts or detail. Distinctive is key.

33. Sportfan says:

@bwoar thanks for the update! Not sure how I’d feel about Penner though lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I won’t get personal with the Young Lad whom declares Patrice Bergeron is not one of the League’s great players …but that Young Lad just indicated His lack of judgement of hockey talent

• commandant says:

Bergeron might be the best player on the bruins… its neck and neck with Chara, and we all know that Chara is a great player (and an a*hole).

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Adidess says:

Agree. I’d say he’s the second most important player on that team behind the behemoth. And with Chara likely walking into the sunset pretty soon, he’s going to be their incontested leader and probably their captain.

But I also agree term seems too long and he might be another significant injury away from calling it quits.

• Mavid says:

One of the few Bruins I like..wish he was with the good guys..

• on2ndthought says:

Agreed. Underestimated still. The same way Pleks is on this forum (he is kind of a Bergeron-lite). He makes everyone on the ice with him better (if you wear the B) or worse (if you line up against him). Smart, smart, smart! A concussion risk, nonetheless, but I guess everyone who plays a contact sport is. Bruins are counting on the cap rising during these contracts. Sends a warm and fuzzy feeling to the players, will be hard for other GMs to match. Ultimately could cause financial problems (for the FANS) down the road.

“a cannonading drive”

• matt jordan says:

Yep, I hate the Bruins, but Bergeron plays how hockey players are supposed to play. He plays a dominating two way game, scores clutch goals, knocks the Leafs out in game 7′s, and a lock for Team Canada at the next Olympics.

He should demand a trade.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Missing Bergeron was Timmins greatest mistake by far. The guy plays a “Canadiens”-type game…just brutal watching such a good Quebec player on the Bruins. No-brainer center for the Olympic team along with Crosby, Toews and Giroux.

• B says:

Hind sight is 20/20 :)

Many (all?) teams passed on Bergevin at some point, the Bruins took him 45th over all with their 2nd pick of 2003 (passing on Shea Weber who went 4 picks later). Who knew? It’s too easy to look back in hindsight and cast blame for missing hidden gems in a draft. It is not an exact science, even for kids in your own back yard.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

True, but I feel DDO nonetheless. When I’m lurking on hockeydb, between swigs from the bottle, I shed tears revisiting the 2003 draft, wondering what could have been. Corey Urquhart indeed.

• kotz says:

Well, drafting Ben Maxwell one spot ahead of Milan Lucic is probably #2 then.

Oh, or #3 since he took Kostitsyn before Carter/Brown/Seabrook/Parise/Getzlaf/Kesler/Richards.

Or #4 when he picked Fischer two spots before Giroux.

Well, i guess there’s a few picks he made that he would probably like to change.

——————————————————————-
        You can fool some people sometimes. But you can’t fool all the people all the times.
        - Bob Marley

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

@SmartDog

…You are rightly thinking with Your head …I just really love watching Patrice play the game completely ignoring the fact of the ugly orange rag he must wear

…talking from My heart …I’m utilizing zero common sense …as You are :)

I just noticed that the Bruins signed Bergeron for eight years. This after doing the same for Rask. I think it’s total insanity in both cases.

I can see making these offers for the true stars of the game – players such as Malkin, Crosby and Stamkos. Bergeron is a very good player but surely not a great player. His health issues are also a concern. Not to mention that half of his contract will be after his career has crested.

Right now, this very second, I can’t think of any Hab that deserves an eight year deal. Maybe Subban in a few years but that’s about it.

• JohninTruro says:

Agreed, very shocked to see the term, and just as shocked to see the dollar amount. Wow

• The_Truth says:

These days, that is what the term is for the corner stones of a franchise. It used to be longer, but with the new CBA, 7 and 8 year deals are what it is. You can’t blame the Bruins. The salaries, were more or less in line with the player’s worth and if there are injuries, the cap hit doesn’t count.

Price got 6 years at what could be considered an overpayment. Patches is probably underpaid and also received 6 years. Gorges is overpaid for 5 years. As you mentioned, Subban will most likely end up with an 8 year deal himself. For Cornerstone players, in their 20s, they will get 7 or 8 years, whether it is good or not.

• ClutchNGrab says:

Agree for Rask, I will never understand how a team can give term AND big money to a goaltender, except if his name is Roy. How will Rask perform without Chara?

But Bergeron will be their next captain, to me, hockey wise, he’s between Datyuk and Plekannec. Pleks got 5M per for 5 years in 2010, Datsyuk got 6.7M per for 7 in 2007. Both players are older than Bergeron. Again, Bergeron is only 27, in 8 years he’ll be 35.

As for the health issue, it’s the same for Toews or Crosby, it’s part of the game.

• The_Truth says:

The Bruins didn’t have much choice on Rask, considering he is one of the top goalies in the league and considering what those other goalies are paid and also the term they received. It would have been nice for them to sign him at 5 million per year for 5 years, but after his last playoffs, he had all the leverage he needed.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

@HabFab

…I forgot about the Battle of Hamburger Hill this summer Frank

38. SmartDog says:

Habitant in Surrey,

I understand your point about Bergeron except for one thing. He’s had serious concussion issues. He stands a good chance to have another… to be out longer and longer each time. One bad one and he’s gone for good. Not someone I would bet eight years of good health on. Especially on a team that plays the way they do.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• JohninTruro says:

Agreed

• SmartDog says:

And the other scenario I didn’t mention… he gets hurt and comes back but isn’t the same player, or just slows down at a younger age like some concussed guys do. Not to say all do… but some really do. My guess is at 30, Bergeron isn’t leading the league in faceoffs. And then he’s still got 5 years of contract left.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

39. Stevie.Ray says:

What’s your favourite James Coburn film?

• SmartDog says:

Gladiator

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Rugger says:

Three way toss up – Dirty dozen, Mag. 7 and “The President’s Analyst is missiing”

• citizenSanto says:

The Magnificent Seven, or Sergio Leone’s Fistful of Dynamite

• bwoar says:

DUCK, YOU SUCKER – nothing comes close.

“thoroughbred”

• ZepFan2 says:

Our Man Flint and In Like Flint. Camp at it’s best.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Mavid says:

Loved him in payback with Mel Gibson..when Mel shoots his expensive luggage..”thats just mean man..just mean..”

• boing007 says:

One day in Studio City, California, not far from Universal Studios, my brothers and I were admiring Porsches at a used car lot off of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Blvd. In the distance we heard the approach of a V12 engine coming down the hill. It was a Ferrari model that we had never seen before. As it screamed passed us we sprinted across the street and ran as fast as we could to catch up with it before it disappeared out of sight. We lost sight of it and began to comb the nearby neighborhoods. We finally found it down a side street. I ran home to fetch a camera and came back on my ten speed bicycle and we started taking photos of this one of a kind Ferrari. A few mintues later a man walked out the front door of the house and walked up to us, smiling and looking like the essence of hip and cool. Mr. James Coburn. He told us that the car had crashed at Spa and had been sent to a Italian coachbuilder named Drogo who put a new body on it. He opened up the hood for us to admire the engine and let us listen to its unique sound. Cool guy.

Richard R

• Un Canadien errant says:

Cool story. I remember when cars were a huge deal for me, as a teenager.

Mavid, love “Payback”, a severely underrated film. I love how the amount he is owed is misquoted the entire way, and Mel Gibson rolls his eyes and tries to correct the mafia guys about the actual amount.

40. HabFab says:

This blogger takes a look at the Canadiens and Bulldog depth charts;

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I start from My personal precept that any team signing a player for more than 4 or 5 years is asinine and insane in the salary cap era

…I believe the NHL, if it was wise, which We know it is not, should impose maximum 5 year contracts

…that being said, I can not think of more than 3 or 4 players in the NHL whom should be an exception to such restriction …and of those 3 or 4 would include one M. Patrice Bergeron

…in a perfect World, Patrice woulda/shoulda have been one of Our Habs top 20 all-time Greats

…welcome to My woulda/shoulda World Patrice :)

• HabFab says:

The NHL proposed a 5 year maximum but the PA refused to die on that mountain…

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think most fans would agree with you that contracts are too long, and players are over-paid, but then a lockout happens, and everyone blames Bettman and the NHL.

• Adidess says:

Want to be fair here Stevie.Ray, but I honestly don’t get the point you’re trying to make. Are you saying the players are responsible for being overpaid? Who’s overpaying them?

Isn’t it NHL owners overpaying players to protect against other NHL owners offering even more money to pry their key players away?

NHL owners wanted a salary cap, they got it. They wanted more revenues in the latest collective agreement, they got that. Whose fault is it that they have set this inflated market among themselves for star players?

There isn’t another league out there to which they would lose their players, if NHL owners chose to offer less money as a principle. Players are simply benefiting from cut-throat competition among owners, which I see as a great thing.

So yes, there is ground in fact for blaming the owners for almost every lockout in recent memory…

• myron.selby says:

You guys really are missing the mark here. The owners got the amount of revenue devoted to salary reduced to 50% from 57% in this CBA. Teams can only spend up to the cap and they have to spend to the floor.

So it really doesn’t matter how they divvy that amount up between different players on their team. If they overspend on some players then they won’t be able to afford to pay some others. Theoretically, a team could pay every player the exact same amount if they wanted (and could get the players to agree). But that amount would have to add up to more than the floor and less than the cap.

So to claim that there is too much money being spent on salaries makes absolutely no sense.

• Adidess says:

We’re actually talking about that zone of flexibility between the floor and the cap for the most part.

I was speaking specifically to the issue of players being responsible for getting too much money. My point is owners have more to do with it than players.

For example… I know that would never happen, but theoretically all owners could decide they’ll only spend to the floor, that’s it. Nothing players could do about it. Owners could also decide no one NHL player is worth more than $6.5M/yr, so they’ll never give somebody $7M. But at the end of day, they want to have the best and baddest team, so they give out the big salaries and the long terms in order to out-bid and out-do other owners like themselves.