Waite named Habs’ goalie coach; McCarron gets taste of Montreal’s hockey fish bowl

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday morning that Stéphane Waite has been hired as the team’s new goaltending coach.

“Stéphane Waite has over 30 years of experience as a goaltending coach, including the past 10 seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks organization,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He contributed to two Stanley Cup championships with the Blackhawks during his tenure working closely with two different goaltenders, namely Antti Niemi and Corey Crawford. We are very pleased to welcome Stéphane in our organization. He has a vast experience, and a thorough knowledge of our local market and we are convinced that our goaltenders will benefit from his expertise and his work ethic.”

Waite just completed his 10th season as goaltending coach with the Blackhawks. Chicago goaltenders Crawford and Ray Emery earned the William B. Jennings Trophy this past season, awarded to the goaltenders with the best goals against average in the NHL. Prior to joining the Chicago organization, Waite served as Sherwood Hockey’s Pro goaltender representative (2001-04). He was also a goaltending consultant for IMG Hockey (2000-2004).

Waite replaces Pierre Groulx, whose contract wasn’t renewed after last season. Groulx spent four seasons as the Habs’ goalie coach after taking over from Rollie Melanson. This past season, Carey Price ranked 29th in goals-against average (2.59) and 35th in save percentage (. 905) while posting a 21-13-4 record with three shutouts. His performance was particularly shaky at the end of the season and in the playoffs he posted a 1-2 record with a 3.26 GAA and a .894 save percentage. For his career, Price has a 9-17 playoff record with a 2.90 GAA and .905 save percentage.

On Sunday, Michael McCarron became the 551st pick in Canadiens history, selected in the first round (25th overall) of the NHL draft in New Jersey.

Now he’s learning what living in the hockey fish bowl can be like in Montreal.

“I know this is a city of hockey,” McCarron told a mob of reporters in Brossard Wednesday on the first day of the team’s development camp. “I was told to expect this. I’m kinda an easy going guy. I like to reach out to fans and you (media) guys. I don’t think it will ever get old.”

McCarron had 800 Twitter followers before the draft, but as of Thursday morning that number had climbed to more than 8,500. You can follow McCarron on Twitter by clicking here.

McCarron said that being drafted by the Canadiens was “a dream come true.”

“The Canadiens talked to me the most (before the draft) so when they walked up there, I was like, ‘This could be me, this could be me . . . ‘” McCarron said. “The sweat started to fill up my palms and I was like, ‘It’s going to be me.’

“And then they called my name and it was just relief. I gave my mom a nice, long hug, and then my brother and sister and my dad.”

On his way to Montreal for the development camp, McCarron was noticed by some hockey fans at the Toronto airport.

“A dozen guys came up to me and said ‘hey, are you Mike McCarron?’” McCarron said. “That was the first time I’ve ever been recognized outside the rink so it was pretty special.”

It won’t be the last time.

The Habs development camp continues through Sunday with players practising in three groups each morning with scrimmages at the end of the day in Brossard. The camp will wrap up with a scrimmage at 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

All practices are open to the public.

Meanwhile, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday that free-agent Daniel Briere has narrowed his list of teams down to three, including the Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens appoint Waite as goaltending coach, canadiens.com

Worth the Waite, canadiens.com

McCarron already living a Habs dream, by Dave Stubbs

Fifty-six players hit the ice for Habs, by Brenda Branswell

Free-agent frenzy watch, TSN.ca

Thirteen potential UFAs who figure to attract attention, NHL.com

Plenty of wheeling and dealing for some teams, montrealgazette.com

1. habs1992 says:

Even though I believe this is a terrilbe signing I will give little Danny a chance to prove me wrong. GO HABS GO

I support Carey Price

2. habs-fan-84 says:

would’ve preferred one year but I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an agreement to trade him back to Philadelphia next year

3. Propwash says:

Maybe it’ll work out for Briere and the Habs. At least the term is reasonable.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

4. Sportfan says:

I can deal with Briere if DD leaves…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. Plekasuares says:

What another dumbASS GM we have what an idiot!!

6. on2ndthought says:

TSN is reporting $8 M @ 2 years for Danny B. Not sure how this helps. Too many natural centers. I guess MB and MT won’t move Chuk to center this year. Damn

“a cannonading drive”

• Habfan17 says:

I will withhold judgement for now, but at face value, I don’t like this signing. I guess it stands to reason that we won’t like everything MB does….or understand it!

Habfan17

7. Mattyleg says:

Oh nooo!
    Why did he do it??

Why did he sign a quality player who is under 6’8″??

Whe did MB have to doom intelligent posters to endure the idiotic ramblings of a few loudmouthed clowns who think that a brontosaurus on skates is the ultimate hockey player?

Why must we endure this drivel, when a signing like this will undoubtedly improve our team?!?!?!?!

WHYYY???

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs1992 says:

A 36 year old NOOOOOOOO

I support Carey Price

• Haborama says:

Your point is invalid based on what you said below.

Horon>Briere, all day, every day, and we will be forced to endure that fact next season with great pain and suffering all because of the childish destructive actions of one creepy crackpot wannabe GM.

• Mattyleg says:

Your points are always invalid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Haborama says:

No, my points are based on logic. This team needs size and toughness, shall I remind you of our first round series against the Sens?

Specifically game 3?

and this nutjob goes out and gets a little eunech when we needed tougness.

he is either REALLY STUPID or harbors a hatred for this team.

use your head.

• New says:

Connor McDavid.

8. Sportfan says:

Really Briere….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. Psycho29 says:

Oh my…The sky is falling….the sky is falling!

10. Haborama says:

Marc Bergeven can kiss my ass!

He has ruined this team.

Molson should get smart and fire the crook, he doesn’t belong anywhere but in a nut-house.

11. Adidess says:

Ok, I’m starting to get the vision. That hasty extension on the high side to David Desharnais now makes perfect sense…

12. Thurston says:

I like Marc Bergevin, think he’s doing a good job, but I really question this one. Not sure why Briere was even on the radar.

13. johnnylarue says:

So the bastard son of Paul McCartney and Lars Ulrich is coming home to roost…

“And Johnny La Rue answered and said again to them, “What will you then that I shall do to him whom you call the GM of the Montreal Canadiens?”

And they cried out again, “Crucify him.”

Then La Rue said to them, “Why, what evil has he done?”

And they cried out the more exceedingly, “Crucify him!”

14. Haborama says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

WHY DOES HE HATE HIS OWN TEAM!!!!!!

WHY DOES HE WANT TO DESTROY THE MONTREAL CANANANANANANANANANANDIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY HEEEEEAAAARRRRRRT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. The Dude says:

You know ,when Scotty Bowman say’s don’t worry Montreal this Guy is GREAT….I think he’s Fking with us! M.B. U SUX !

16. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Since Danny was bought out, he can sign now, right?

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Now get rid of DD…

18. habs1992 says:

Im gonna hit the bottle hard again tonight because of the habs. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I support Carey Price

19. Harditya says:

Confirmed. Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 3s
    Canadiens have agreed to a 2-year deal with forward Daniel Brière.

20. Haborama says:

Tell me right now: what is wrong with signing big, physical players?????

We need size desperately and Bitchaven contends himself with torturing us by singing impotent toddlers like Breire.

I am seriously wondering if MB is right in the head

• Bripro says:

I thought you were logging off.
      Isn’t that what you said to Matty below?
      I read your emphasis on how many gazillion times Horton was better.
      Nice emphasis.
      Unfortunately, Horton is an idiot, and would spoil the room.
      And before getting your underwear further in a knot, why don’t you at least wait to see how it pans out? If the Brière deal is even sealed.

21. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 15s
    Source just told me, Canadiens will announce that Daniel Brière has made his choice and its Montreal. #RDS

• Ron says:

Oh dam oh dam oh dam, what a absolute waste. Whether he scores 15 or more goals as a hab I am pretty pissed. If this is our savouir in MB’s eyes WOW. Hope he plans on getting some real help.

• topher5468 says:

Wonder why now, we coveted him a few years back when he left Buffalo and he wanted no part of this organization. Me personally, I don’t like it. If we could trade DD, I’d be ok with it.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

22. fastfreddy says:

What’s wrong with MB? Where are the big and gritty players?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

23. Stevie.Ray says:

Alain sanscartier confirmed the Habs signing Briere but nobody else yet.

24. habs1992 says:

My sources are telling its 2 years 4 million a year, I can CONFIRM Habs GET Danny

I support Carey Price

25. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think what Rusnak inadvertently reported is that 2yr/8mill is what the Habs have offered Briere…

26. habs1992 says:

Why do we like being so smallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll.

I support Carey Price

27. The Dude says:

$2 million gamble for Briere is a lot more reasonable than $6.5 mil per for Carey Price

28. habsfan0 says:

Nathan Horton’s signing is imminent.
    Just over 18 hours to go.

• Haborama says:

we could have had HORTON and we chose Breire………..

Was MB concussion prone as a player??

That’s like being able to buy a ferrari and choosing a Datsun!

29. Fransaskois says:

@Stevie.Ray

You touched on a point that many fans conveniently overlook when determining the potential success of our roster. Yes, Ryder was an inconsistent scorer and poor defensively BUT, he was a consistent threat as a top-6 forward to score at even strength and on the power play.

As much as I love and believe in Galchenyuk, he’s not yet a top-6 winger. We were successful last year because we had three potential scoring lines. With Gionta having another serious injury and the loss of Ryder, our top-9 depth is not nearly what it was. One injury and we’re down the pipes and relying on Thomas, Leblanc, Bournival, Dumont, Moen and Prust in significant roles.

Pacioretty-DD-Gallagher
    Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
    Moen-Dumont-White

I don’t have a lot of faith in this forward group. We will NOT be healthy all year, that’s a guarantee. Mix that in with our defensive depth and injury woes and I’m not sure I’m feeling confident in us having a playoff spot without a significant move. We’ve got a chance if a rookie/Leblanc steps up big time but…. that’s a big risk.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I have high hopes for Leblanc this season, but Dumont, Leblanc, and Blunden as our top call ups isn’t the most reassuring. Especially since we seem to have lead the league in injuries almost every year back to 2008. We were lucky last year for the most part, until the end. Adding depth up front is key this off season

• Fransaskois says:

Looks like we’ve pretty well locked down our other top-6 player! Not my first choice but…. guess we’ll see how it turns out.

30. habs1992 says:

MB WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I support Carey Price

Briere signs with Hab’s–4mil and 2years.
    This weasel has a lot to prove to me.!!!!

32. Caper says:

The Seguin trade is a very good example as to why the Habs wanted to go short term with PK. You gamble and the Habs will now pay dearly (and without issue one would think) for it while the Bruins however believe they had made a mistake. Personally I think they have over reacted and history will show the same, Looks good on them though.

Love to see Matt Hendricks signed tomorrow and dare i say Matt Cooke. Let the attack begin.

• Habifax says:

yes they blew it when they gave Seguin that big contract. no reason too. so good for MB with the PK deal.

• Haborama says:

I would welcome a Hendricks signing only if we are unable to sign Clowe or Horton. He is a great role player and is the type of UFA signing that improves the team in the short term and does not jeopardize the whole “building through the draft” thing.

Matt Cooke is a tad undersized and doesn’t play with the same vigorous intensity. He’s gone a bit soft to be honest.

Mark Fistric or Jeff Schultz would be great depth signings on D.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m onboard for Hendricks.

(I’ll pretend your comment ended there.)

33. Haborama says:

This is basically a clear explanation on why we should never toutch that frggin insect with a ten foot pole.

• New says:

The pressure is on though. Some fans will scream that his past playoff show-ups are worth it (in which case we should bring Big Jean out of retirement). Others will say he’s a bum. The truth is that most players in the right situation can help your team, and in the wrong situation will hurt your team. Only the GM and his guys have a clue what his team will look like next season, so only they know if Briere will be of any use other than usher.

I wouldn’t sign him, but I don’t get fired if the team fails and I don’t get a bonus if they succeed.

34. Habifax says:

Is this Briere deal official??????

35. habs001 says:

To me Iginla has become the same as Gion..still get their points but in a quiet manner..they cause very little havoc in the offensive zone and dont stress/tire out the oppositions d…their bodies have taken too much of a beating to bring it every night and this is why they go into slumps…

36. commandant says:

Currently, Greg Pateryn is more valuable to the Canadiens than Mikhail Grabovski is to the Leafs.

We win the trade!

Suck it Toronto!!

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

37. Bripro says:

I don’t know why everyone is so stressed about Briere.
    Yes, he’s had two mediocre seasons, but they were mostly due to injury.
    Was he worth the $7-8-10MM / year he earned? No way. No argument there.
    But he was certainly a big factor in helping Hartnell and Leino earn their big contracts.
    Even though I think the rumoured $4MM/year is somewhat high, it’s only for two years, so we’re not talking about a long-term commitment like Philly just gave Lecavalier.
    Yes he’s small, and for a lesser player to arrive, it would be a knock on MB, but if in fact this signing is true, let’s at least wait and see what else he has up his sleeve if we don’t have enough patience to see how the coming season pans out with Briere at centre between (perhaps) the two Gallys.
    Can you imagine the finesse?
    We’re talking speed here, people! And sweet hands! And determination around the net!
    Not the slow-running flyers. Oh yeah, the Flyers have more size, but how far along did that get them last year.
    We’ve just seriously upgraded in nets without changing goalies.
    I’m pretty psyched!
    (Alright, I’m wearing my armour…. go ahead… take your best shot!)

38. NightRyder says:

For this team to be ready for a four-round run, it needs to get younger, bigger, tougher and deeper. Adding Daniel Briere does none of that.
    If it’s part of some grand scheme to trade his “playoff performer” skills (along with Cup-winners Gionta and Moen) at the deadline for assets that will help us accomplish our goals, then I tip my hat to MB.

• Stevie.Ray says:

You gotta sign big names to trade for good draft picks. I don’t know if MB is ruthless enough, and it’s tough to be sellers at the deadline if you are in playoff contention.

• Mark C says:

So a player with 50 goals and 109 points in 108 playoff games won’t help in the playoffs?

• krob1000 says:

IT is a win win going for BRiere….we have a hoel, he wants one year, habs have space, he’s franco, he can score, if things go bad he can be dealt as can others. Signing someone of consequence has to be important for the vets on the club also…maybe if the club were to do as well as last years at the deadline MB makes some moves to help out.

39. habstrinifan says:

Habs are going down the list of French UFA’S. One of them is gonna sign with us.. you wait and see.

40. Stevie.Ray says:

So I think it’s pretty clear we needed to sign a top 6 winger for next season. I was hoping that we could get hold of a power forward type player, but it looks like they are demanding too much (haven’t heard about Jagr or Iginla yet though). So going after Briere kind of makes sense. He could bring scoring which we need but he is basically the same player as Gionta and Gallagher (maybe more skill but less jam). If we got him for just one year then it makes total sense as a temporary option until we can find that top six power forward. If its two year like was rumored, then I think you have to look to trade DD with Briere replacing him at C until Gally and Eller are ready for the top role. Unfortunately, Briere will have to be sheltered meaning tougher defensive minutes for Eller and Plekanec’s lines.

41. Mark C says:

What kind of moron is Chiarelli? Rips Seguin in the media less than a week before trading him. Can’t imagine the collective HIO angst if MB did something like this to lessen a players potential value just before dealing him.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

If the Habs the sign Briere, they’ve just taken a back seat to letting the girlfriend watch whatever she wants on TV any night of the week. That will also be the end of my support for Bergevin.

43. Sean Bonjovi says:

: l

44. Hobie Hansen says:

Ok, enough with this “You might also like” crap at the top ;-).

I just dropped in for the 1st today and saw out of the corner of my eye that Hal Gill has resigned with the Habs. I almost puked on my desk!

Then I noticed the article was from 2011.

Get rid of that crap at the top please Boone!

45. Mattyleg says:

I’m posting from my iPhone on the mobile app.

Holy Moses, I always forget how garbage this app is until I use it again. All apostrophes come out as #%]*¥ and there is no indication of who is responding to whom.

It’s a complete sh!tshow, and I would expect that the zero dollars I contribute to this site would be better invested.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

If we had just traded Pacioretty and Dietz for Seguin we’d all be doing cartwheels. The Bruins settled for less than that.

• habstrinifan says:

Or we are overestimating what we have.

• junyab says:

Eriksson > MaxPac

Most underrated player in the NHL is Mr. Eriksson.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Pacioretty had ten points more last season than Eriksson who played four games more. Pacioretty is also more than 3.5 years younger. Case closed.

• Chris says:

Dallas had no centres last season. In the three years to that, Eriksson averaged 25 goals and 70 points. Hardly case closed.

I love Pacioretty. I wouldn’t trade him straight up for Eriksson (I know, shocking…Eriksson is European!). But I can definitely understand why a lot of people would.

47. habs001 says:

Waiting for the first post that advocates the signing of Grabovski …lol

48. NightRyder says:

I look forward to the Briere-Desharnais-Gionta combination next year.

49. habstrinifan says:

For all those who proclaim that a team cannot be operating under wise stewardship if they dare trade away a top prospect/draft choice please call Chiarelli and explain that to him.

We have so many great prospects that it would be foolish to even think about trading. It would wreck our long term plan.

50. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s strange how some of you think there’s this big clamour amongst Francophone Hab fans to sign Lecavalier or Briere.

There isn’t. Maybe from Francois Gagnon but he is (1) a ditz and (2) a Sens fan. And he just alluded to the fact that they were available.

What’s funny is the people who think these fans only look at a player’s mother tongue tend to be the same people who only look at a player’s height.

51. donmarco says:

I know what I’ll be doing at noon tomorrow, that’s for sure. With the tiime UFA’s have to talk to teams before the official signing period I would think there are already a ton of deals already agreed to in principle and there will be a flurry of announcements early in the day. Woo Hoo.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

52. H.Upmann says:

I really hope Leblanc becomes a solid 3rd liner for us and it’ll be interesting to see how Colberg progresses… If macaroon pans out, that can balance having two small wingers… I dunno :/

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yes, would like to see that.
      Isn’t it the high ankle-sprain that’s the really nasty one? In which case, of course he had a terrible year. He wants to be a Hab: if he’s healthy now, he’ll show us.

• habstrinifan says:

Only interesting? Just this morning I read where “heaven help us” if we trade Collberg.. we’ll be regretting it like crazy down the road. After all he is one of our can’t miss prospects.. not like that #1 draft pick by that ridiculously stupid team that just lucked into a Cup and a cup final in 4 years.

@Jackal, please click on link and tell me if the names of the players around Kessel in this list are elite.

His last 2 seasons look even better, but that is skewing the numbers.

54. mrhabby says:

This Breier talk is all PR spin to make the French media happy.

I will give Chiarelli credit for not being afraid to make bold moves. Seguin was clearly the star of the future of that team, particularly with being the #2 overall pick.

I happen to think Seguin can still achieve high level play, but the Boston GM was willing to still make this move. That is ballsy, now we find out if indeed it was the right move.

• NightRyder says:

To stay competitive in the salary cap world, you can’t be afraid to move significant assets on a routine basis.

• Timo says:

Maybe Bobo Gainey will lure Michael Therrien to Dallas and Seguin will be enrolled in Michael Therrien Personal Development Program – THEN I can see him becoming a superstar.

• donmarco says:

You have to think there’s a lot more at play here than just a hockey trade. They now something others don’t and won’t disclose it. A risky trade for Dallas, but with a massive upside if he takes this as a wake up call.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• Dunboyne Mike says:

This is the bottom line with virtually all trades, deals and signings. I think of this every time someone dumps on MB for the DD signing. They may be correct to dump according to the facts to which they have access, but do they have access to all the facts? No.

(This rule does not seem to apply to Feaster. Ernie and Bert seem to know more about hockey management than Feaster.)

• habstrinifan says:

I wrote a piece called ‘culling your team’ and highlighted how adept both Boston and Chicago have been at it in the last 4 to 5 years. Meanwhile we hold marches to protestthat we didnt resign Kovalev and shoot anyone who suggests trading Plekanec who is one of the best #? centres in the league and does so much for us .. but we still have to decide if he’s our #1 or our #2 or whatever.

56. Fransaskois says:

For what it’s worth…..

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 14m
    Report of Daniel Briere signing in Montreal was news to #habs management when they read the report. No deal.

57. commandant says:

Top UFA Forwards for tomorrow

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

58. The Jackal says:

Why are people against the Briere signing? Because a few years ago he decided he wanted to play in Philly and went for market price? It happens!

He is an upgrade over Ryder and it would not be a long term contract, it does not hurt us at all. Besides, Ryder may have been bigger but he did not play big so its not like we lose any grit. He’d help out our offense despite his decline in production, he is still very skilled.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• donmarco says:

Generally speaking, that’s the major beef, the “loyalty” thing. Makes me laugh. I couldn’t care less what decision he made 5 years ago. He can still play some hockey, and a 2 year contract is a no brainer. Yes, there would be other players I’d prefer but he’d be on my list for sure.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• Chris says:

The loyalty thing is hilarious because half the people holding this against Briere (and Lecavalier) are the same people advocating that we dump Markov and Gionta and Desharnais, players who DID commit to the team. :)

Can’t have it both ways.

• donmarco says:

Could not agree more. Not to mention Pax signing a long term deal what is starting to look better and better. Loyalty is not a two way street, it’s a dead end. It’s a business and always will be. I doubt very much MB will “reward” Markov and Gionta for their loyalty when their contracts expire next season.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• johnnylarue says:

I believe Groucho’s timeless quote applies here: “I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.” ;)

• habstrinifan says:

Markov; Gionta; Pacioretty(now) Cole revised it somewhat. I’ll let you figure it out.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Briere has had a very steep decline in production in the last two years. He just isn’t the player he was.

• donmarco says:

Which is why he was bought out. But one never knows what a new city and new opportunity can bring. Habs have the money, it’s not a long term deal, and the upside is huge if he still has something in the tank. And his playoff experience is invaluable.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• NightRyder says:

He’s small, 36 years old when the season starts and was awful last year. Anything other than a one-year deal is too much, unless you’re secret plan is to flog him at the trade deadline.

• donmarco says:

Then again, pretty much all of the Flyers were awful last year. Hard to say from a small sample, and a shortened season. I still say it’s worth the 2 year gamble, the money is there.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• habstrinifan says:

Because it smells of the same desperate ‘high name’ move of the past which does not complement the roster in any way.

Let us say he is a upgrade on Ryder.. how?

Will his scoring be more consistent and evened out so that the ‘swoon’s characteristic of our team are avoided.
      Will he come in and form a stable scoring threat on a stable line with any of our current players.. or he is just another pawn to juggle around.
      Will his numbers spur others to increased ‘results’.
      Will he make our team hard to play against and add a real scoring threat.
      At the end of year will his presence have made this team more ready for the playoffs.
      Do we have players that complement him.

Aswers please?

• habs_54321 says:

im for the signing, it’s been a long time since a big name player has taken the risk of signing in montreal and if he thrives here other players in the future when looking for a place to play will look at this signing and be able to say “okay briere signed in montreal and it helped his career instead of derail it maybe this is a place i can do the same thing”

• habstrinifan says:

If all we are looking for is a big name let’s bringthis guy up.

Colin SUELLENTROP. Not only i sthat a big name he might just be one of our cant miss prospect who looks really good and needs only a year or two to polish his skates(uhh skills).

• Haborama says:

smaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

59. The Jackal says:

Edit: double post

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

60. Chris says:

Yikes.

Good trade for the Bruins: Seguin is buried behind Krejci and Bergeron and he’s not flourishing on the wing. So they move him and get one of the better wingers in the game in Loui Eriksson (25 goal, 70 point player) and a top defence prospect (Joe Morrow) to help rebuild their defence corps.

I like the trade for Dallas as well. Seguin immediately becomes the #1 centre, while Peverley can be their #2 centre or play the wing.

Basically, this is a win-win deal and gives the Bruins a bit more cap room so that they can re-sign Rask and Bergeron, who are more important to their core.

• ebk says:

Sequin is already better than Erickson, and Peverley ain’t that bad of a hockey player. I think the Stars made out like Bandits. Sequin is going to be one of the games stars for years to come.

• Chris says:

He wasn’t going to do it in Boston, though, as both Krejci and Bergeron are excellent centres in their own right and are far better fits for the Bruins team system. Seguin’s reportedly an idiot off the ice, so we don’t know what effect that was having in their dressing room.

I think it is a win for both teams. Eriksson is a very good two-way winger. He can kill penalties, log power play time and is generally a defensively responsible player. He’s got good size (6’2″, 200 pounds) and speed. In essence, he fits the Bruins system perfectly.

Peverley is a good and very useful player. Seguin has the makings of a very good #1 centre in the NHL for years to come. But the Bruins don’t need another #1 centre, and they did need to free up some money. Mission accomplished.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

The Bruins have not gotten better.

Eriksson is a decent player – ~25 goal scorer. Seguin is a potential future all-star. And Peverley at age 30 was still a significant part of the team.

62. Bozo McBozo says:

Oh no! They are reporting the Habs signed Briere. $8mm for two years!

• twilighthours says:

Who are they?

• donmarco says:

The only ones “reporting” it are TSN690, and based. apparently, on something heard at the rookie camp today. Nothing official yet.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• HabFanSince72 says:

The honeymoon is officially over.

• habstrinifan says:

How can they give Briere 8 mill for 2 and held the line on Lecavalier.
      I dont care which wise and learned and all that sort of stuff genius comes on here and tries to justify that.. it will be the stupidest two days in the last 10 years in Habsland. You stand strong on Lecavalier and do this?

Perhaps the signing of Rask and Bergeron is getting pretty expensive and cap room was needed. Also it would fit the Bruins to go and get Clarkson, maybe Toronto and Boston are in a bidding war for him.

Flames are looking for centers. Why DD is still a Hab?

So it’s basically Kessel and Peverley for Eriksson, Hamilton, Knight, Morrow, Smith and Fraser.

One could easily argue that at present the best player in all of that is Kessel. He gets ripped a great deal, but one of the elite scorers in the NHL right now.

• 24 Cups says:

It’s still early (in terms of Hamilton) but I’d take Seguin and Hamilton over Kessel.

I used to feel that way, but Kessel has put together back to back big years, and shows no sign of letting up. I think Seguin will become a big player though.

• The Jackal says:

Elite? No way! He is one-dimensional and soft. He scores goals, yeah, but he is not elite, a top six guy but not an elite guy.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• twilighthours says:

Jackal, if we are going to call price elite, then Kessel is definitely elite

• johnnylarue says:

By that measure, was Brett Hull also not “elite”?

Kessel fits the bill as an elite goal scorer. Not an elite defenceman, or an elite two-way forward, and probably not an elite equipment manager (although he is rumoured to have the freshest smelling gloves of any active Maple Leaf.)

So top 10 in NHL scoring two year in a row with Bozak as his center makes him what? As for the soft comment, that is just a crock of BS. Why should he play a physical game given he presently plays to strength which is speed and carrying the puck. Hate him all you want, but he is an elite player in the NHL.

66. twilighthours says:

Haborama’s posts are entertaining, I guess, but man do they make me stupider.

67. Ozmodiar says:

Loui Eriksson!!

I don’t like this trade at all. A great cap hit of 4.25 too…plus Morrow.

Dang!!

What’s that you say?? We did what? Signed Briere?!?

Oh, gawd.

68. mrhabby says:

recap..flyers add , leafs add, bruins add and there not done yet and the habs may add another small injury prone player albeit more versatile than ryder in little danny boy.

69. ZepFan2 says:

No deal for Briere @RenLavoie #RDS

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

70. Led says:

Buffalo writer on Hockeybuzz (I know, I know), under article about balance of power shifting in Northeast, states that Briere is signing with us for 2 years for 8 million.

71. ari says:

So.at tsn690 said that montreal signed son of briere for 2 years 8 mil.what an idiot marc bergevin is.

• johnnylarue says:

I’d wait to see if Bergevin knows how to use capital letters before calling him an idiot, personally…

• Fransaskois says:

Does anyone have some Polysporin for this burn?

• ari says:

the contract for dd .get getting drewski.trading cole.and now briere……if it was gauthier he would be roasted

• Rugger says:

Please explain how trading Cole was idiotic?

• johnnylarue says:

Here–I’ll give it a shot:

“Trading Cole was idiotic because Marc Bergevin did it, and Marc Bergevin is an idiot.”

(Remove punctuation and capitals for a more authentic response.)

• ari says:

Who else we had or have to drive to net?

• LizardKing12 says:

You are the only person I know that would site the Cole trade as a bad move. In fact most of the hockey world believe we fleeced the Stars. We got rid of a ton of salary and acquired the more productive player as well as a pick.

The drewiski trade was not bad, we got him for a 5th and he is a depth player which teams need. Bergevin didn’t expect this guy to come in and be Ray Bourque, it was depth plain and simple. Who was available at the deadline in your opinion that would have brought the habs a cup? The realistic answer to that question is nobody.

The dd signing I hated. It is his worst move as GM, however it was bound to happen. THis guy is not superhuman, he will make mistakes. So far though the positives outweigh the negative. Bergevin has a long term plan, be patient, it’s not about making big splashes every year.

• Habfan17 says:

Lebrun says Briere texted, nothing done yet.

Habfan17

• Led says:

Danny can be electric no doubt, but snubbing us before and his size make me leery about signing him.

I’d like to see us sign Stalberg (size, versatility) and Asham (toughness). While also signing a big, mean d-man.

72. Blade says:

Briere is most likely using the Habs to get his $$$ higher. I may be wrong, but I doubt he signs here.

73. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Would Briere play centre or wing for us?

• Fransaskois says:

I see him on the wing. I’d expect us to move another center to make room, it would mean we have 5 potential top-9 centers.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yea, that’s what I’m thinking.

Pleks is my favourite player on the team, but I think (much to the chagrin of the get DD outta here folks) if anyone were to go, it’d be him. Simply because he’d command a lot on the market. Reasonable salary for a very good second line center. He’d draw a lot of interest.

All speculation of course…not saying I think it will happen or I’d like it to.

• johnnylarue says:

When Eller proves he can suffocate the best forwards in the league with his defensive coverage, I’ll be okay with letting Plekanec go.

Until that day comes, trading Plekanec is flirting with disaster (unless the return is something truly amazing, of course.)

• habs-fan-84 says:

As long as Eller is one of the centres on this team for the long haul I’ll be happy.