Waite named Habs’ goalie coach; McCarron gets taste of Montreal’s hockey fish bowl

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday morning that Stéphane Waite has been hired as the team’s new goaltending coach.

“Stéphane Waite has over 30 years of experience as a goaltending coach, including the past 10 seasons with the Chicago Blackhawks organization,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He contributed to two Stanley Cup championships with the Blackhawks during his tenure working closely with two different goaltenders, namely Antti Niemi and Corey Crawford. We are very pleased to welcome Stéphane in our organization. He has a vast experience, and a thorough knowledge of our local market and we are convinced that our goaltenders will benefit from his expertise and his work ethic.”

Waite just completed his 10th season as goaltending coach with the Blackhawks. Chicago goaltenders Crawford and Ray Emery earned the William B. Jennings Trophy this past season, awarded to the goaltenders with the best goals against average in the NHL. Prior to joining the Chicago organization, Waite served as Sherwood Hockey’s Pro goaltender representative (2001-04). He was also a goaltending consultant for IMG Hockey (2000-2004).

Waite replaces Pierre Groulx, whose contract wasn’t renewed after last season. Groulx spent four seasons as the Habs’ goalie coach after taking over from Rollie Melanson. This past season, Carey Price ranked 29th in goals-against average (2.59) and 35th in save percentage (. 905) while posting a 21-13-4 record with three shutouts. His performance was particularly shaky at the end of the season and in the playoffs he posted a 1-2 record with a 3.26 GAA and a .894 save percentage. For his career, Price has a 9-17 playoff record with a 2.90 GAA and .905 save percentage.

On Sunday, Michael McCarron became the 551st pick in Canadiens history, selected in the first round (25th overall) of the NHL draft in New Jersey.

Now he’s learning what living in the hockey fish bowl can be like in Montreal.

“I know this is a city of hockey,” McCarron told a mob of reporters in Brossard Wednesday on the first day of the team’s development camp. “I was told to expect this. I’m kinda an easy going guy. I like to reach out to fans and you (media) guys. I don’t think it will ever get old.”

McCarron had 800 Twitter followers before the draft, but as of Thursday morning that number had climbed to more than 8,500. You can follow McCarron on Twitter by clicking here.

McCarron said that being drafted by the Canadiens was “a dream come true.”

“The Canadiens talked to me the most (before the draft) so when they walked up there, I was like, ‘This could be me, this could be me . . . ‘” McCarron said. “The sweat started to fill up my palms and I was like, ‘It’s going to be me.’

“And then they called my name and it was just relief. I gave my mom a nice, long hug, and then my brother and sister and my dad.”

On his way to Montreal for the development camp, McCarron was noticed by some hockey fans at the Toronto airport.

“A dozen guys came up to me and said ‘hey, are you Mike McCarron?’” McCarron said. “That was the first time I’ve ever been recognized outside the rink so it was pretty special.”

It won’t be the last time.

The Habs development camp continues through Sunday with players practising in three groups each morning with scrimmages at the end of the day in Brossard. The camp will wrap up with a scrimmage at 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

All practices are open to the public.

Meanwhile, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday that free-agent Daniel Briere has narrowed his list of teams down to three, including the Canadiens, New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens appoint Waite as goaltending coach, canadiens.com

Worth the Waite, canadiens.com

McCarron already living a Habs dream, by Dave Stubbs

Fifty-six players hit the ice for Habs, by Brenda Branswell

Free-agent frenzy watch, TSN.ca

Thirteen potential UFAs who figure to attract attention, NHL.com

Plenty of wheeling and dealing for some teams, montrealgazette.com

1. Mark C says:

So this trade means Seguin was a bust and a wasted asset? At least that was the Danny Kristo logic from yesterday.

2. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Sounds like a good deal for both sides. Seems like outside of Eriksson, Seguin and Morrow, the others are kind of shrapnel — won’t have major impacts.

3. Maksimir says:

Jess Rusnak just said Briere to Habs – 2yrs/8mil

UPDATE

Okay – LeBrun just got a text from DB saying nothing done yet… stand down everyone…

Jess you rascal!

UPDATE

Lebrun says Habs are still waiting on the Briere decision…

4. commandant says:

My full report, including Morrow scouting report.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

5. Fransaskois says:

Confirmed:

Seguin, Peverly and Button to Stars. For Eriksson, J.Morrow R.Smith and Matt Fraser.

6. Fake says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Not confirmed but names mentioned as POSSIBLE in BOS-DAL incl Seguin, Peverley, Ryan Button, Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser, Joe Morrow

7. Haborama says:

We must have reason to believe that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Seguin is a huge part of Boston’s future, and trading him at the age of 21 seems like a knee jerk reaction to a sub-par season. but…….

He has long been plagued by rumors of character issues and seems to have a generally punky demeanor. That is by no means rare in the NHL, however, we must assume that what we view as fans is a fraction of what Boston management sees in him on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps there have been major issues with his attitude towards coaches and other players on the team. I remember hearing a rumor that Seguin and Kane got into fair bit of trouble together in Switzerland during the lockout. That rumor was never really confirmed but shows a slice of what Boston management might view as a corrupting influence.

Lucic and Marchand are also known to be hard-partying types, so whatever issue that Seguin might have goes beyond that. Chirelli alluded to a “lack of professionalism” when talking about Seguin in a press conference after the end of the season. We may never know what that means.

Eriksson is a class act and a great player who would benefit greatly from the protection he will receive in Boston.

And of course the Bruins will get a whack of prospects and maybe a few picks along the way.

I yearn for the days when we will be able to pull off deals like this, and with the right steps those days may not be that far ahead.

• ont fan says:

2nd overall pick. Big deals can be made when you give up on those assets. Just put Gally, PK or Price up for sale and you will get those results. It’s the replacements you have to worry about and they seem very good.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Why? Rumours aside, the SCF Bruins have everything in place to repeat a run at the cup except …. Seguin is doing nothing for them on the wing. Krejci has broken out like nobody’s business and the one-two punch of Bergeron and Krejci, or vice versa, is only going to continue to stymie Seguin’s development. Horton, who scored many good goals for the Bruins over their playoff run, is gone and you need to replace those goals. Meanwhile, Dallas is years away from contending and what team does not need a potential stud centre? Seems like both teams dealt from a realistic position and filled needs while, yes, giving up good assets. But both teams got better. The Bruins now, Dallas later.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“we must assume that what we view as fans is a fraction of what Boston* management sees in him on a day-to-day basis.”

[*substitute "Montreal"]

“Assuming this” is the first thing all of us forget to do the second we log onto HIO and start pontificating about what the team needs!

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Eriksson will fit into the Bs lineup perfectly. Obviously have to see who else is involved, but looks like a good trade for both teams.

9. SmartDog says:

I’d put money that Briere doesn’t sign here.

It must be tempting to play in Montreal now, near the end of his career. And for sure Marc Bergevin is a guy who can make “Danny” feel comfortable here. But the attraction for him is novelty. He’ll go somewhere else. That’s my gut.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

10. The Teacher says:

Seguin to Dallas for loui errikson?

11. mrhabby says:

Seguin must have some nasty pictures on our friend Claude in order for the Bruins to ship his ass to Dallas. The age difference and ceiling for Seguin seems so much higher than Lou.

I guess the Dallas owner who is Canadian needs to make a splash since he is one of the new guys.

Has to be more to this story than stats.

Does Montreal have any interest in Powe, Asham or Zanon as waiver claims?

13. Mark C says:

Hope Boston doesn’t end up with Brett Ritchie.

I’ve been out all morning but I assume that the Grabovski buyout is a clear indication that the laffs will land Clarkson.

15. Fake says:

McKenzie just tweeted he’s hearing it’s a 5 player deal.

We’ll have to wait for the details but Seguin for Eriksson makes no sense to me. The Bruins would be giving up 9 years in age difference.

• Ed says:

The Stars will have to give back more. Could be a 1st or 2nd rounder at least.

• Haborama says:

Seguin has a lot of question marks attached.

Overall he seems like a bit of a punk who likes to party way too much and needs a good tune up.

• Habitforming says:

Eriksson is 27 years old no?

• Luke says:

Natural Winger vs Natural Centre.
      Boston has depth at Centre.
      Boston is a more veteran team, so ditching youth for a productive older guy as they take further runs at the Cup.
      Boston would have to re-sign Seguin, and with the $ Bergeron and Rask are getting, the $ Seguin will demand may crush their cap.
      + there is more to come.
      It actually makes a bit of sense (I probably wouldn’t do it though…)

• 24 Cups says:

Luke – Seguin is already signed to a massive contract. I also wonder if a veteran team should also be keeping an eye on the future. I guess we’ll have to wait for the details because there might be some young assets going back to Boston.

Seguin sure is a huge upgrade on Vinny as far as the Stars’ woes at centre are concerned.

• Luke says:

Yah I agree with you. My biggest worry about the Bruins was that the Leafs had set them up to be competitive for many years. This trade helps out a little bit.

As i said, I wouldn’t do it. But, I’m ok with the Bruins getting rid of a young guy that really looks to be a dynamic offensive centre.

So this is interesting, J.P. Arencibia now taking shots at the Rogers Owned Sportsnet Baseball analysts, Dirk Hayhurst and Greg Zaun.

• Ed says:

love him or hate him, Zaun is straight shooter and “calls it as he sees it”.

I find that refreshing myself. But that’s just me.

I have not been impressed with Gibbons, unfortunately. I was raised in a National League city and I believe in “making things happen”, moving runners along, stealing, hit and run, manufacturing offence, forcing the defence to move out of position.

But that’s just me. Coached 16-18 year olds. Never made it to the Show.

Straight shooter, maybe in his colour commentating. His BS response to explain the cheque he signed and was cashed by a steroid dealer was far from straight.

• ont fan says:

Dirk said today, fair enough in his critique of my carreer but I’m afraid, way more is expected of JP. Just calling a spade a spade.

I have no issue with those guys calling out J.P., what I find interesting, is that finally perhaps Rogers own sports people are being somewhat honest in criticism of team owned baseball team.

The fact the players are now calling out these people is very intriguing.

I think this baseball team deserves lots of criticism!

18. thehabs21 says:

Prepare yourself for another Free Agent Frenzy of NOTHING!
    Habs wont land anyone, while the leafs,bruins,flyers add pieces.
    same thing every year , same team every year. Funny how French players don’t even like playing in montreal, but the head coach has to be french. jooooooooooooookeeee

“I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears”

• Haborama says:

Free agency is my annual period of jealousy and envy.

Name one team that has done less over the years with UFA’s than Montreal?

It’s time to get with the frekin’ times!!

• Habfan17 says:

Given the results from free agent frenzy with the teams that overpay every year and the failure of the players they sign to play up to expectations, I am glad they sit out. Gainey did it once and look at what happened! I would hazard a guess, if anyone ran the numbers to get the percentage of free agent signed during the frenzy that actually worked out, the number would be close to 10 %

Habfan17

• thehabs21 says:

Oh man same at the trade deadline. I want clarkson so damn bad and i just know hes gonna land with the leafs

19. Fake says:

For those who missed the key part in Dregs last tweet, it’s not 1 for 1

Dreger:
    Trade is bigger than Seguin for Eriksson. Draft picks to Boston? Prospects? Working on details.

20. mdp2011 says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
    NJ and Montreal were among several suitors for Ryane Clowe. Told Habs are out now. Devils very interested in Clowe.

21. H.Upmann says:

That’s a nice piece by Stubbs on McCarron. I’d rather see him in college personally. Improve on his skills, lift a lot of weights, and EAT. Just focus on the playing part. Fighting will always be there, and he’ll get his day to fight, no worries about that.

22. thebonscott says:

Please trade with dallas for seguin.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

23. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Note from the local paper on Kristo trade below, nothing epic, just some of his thoughts:

-Dustin-

24. Haborama says:

Clowe would be a much better fit on this team than Breire.

25. Psycho29 says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m

Huge trade in the works. Boston and Dallas close on a deal sending Tyler Seguin to Stars for Loui Eriksson. Other parts involved as well.

26. Fransaskois says:

I saw Dunboyne trying to get the info out, I’ll help to clarify…

Grant Mccagg is a professional scout and has worked with the MTL organization and with Timmins in the past. He posts on HFBoards every once in a while and is THE credible source for Habs draft picks and inside info. Apparently Timmins and himself were working out at the same gym, Grant asked Trevor if he was going to Columbus and Trevor Timmins had no knowledge of what he was talking about.

Therefore Timmins-Columbus is ONLY a rumour and has no substance to it according to a more credible source than most media personnel.

So we can breathe for the time being :D

27. Ferg says:

So every time I try to read one of the posted articles from the Gazette I get a message that it will require a “Digital Access Subscription” for $9.99 per month.

Is everybody paying this or is there a way around it?

Given New Jersey is really enjoying handing contracts to veterans, perhaps they could use the return of one Brian Gionta? I have nothing against Gio, I like him as a player, as a captain etc… but we have a few to many players of his size and style of game.

Just a thought.

29. Ali says:

Seguin to Dallas for Louie Eriksson…wow

30. fastfreddy says:

Briere or Ribbeiro ? Which one would you take for habs and why.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

31. huge_polar_bear says:

Someone named booo has the best comment on TSN about Grabovski being bought out:

At least now we have a free agent that will NOT sign with the Leafs.

Gave me a good chuckle, at least we only have to sign all the Quebec born UFAs, the Laughs have to sign everyone available…

32. Haborama says:

no but seriously, JEFF SCHULTZ, much better signing than Breire.

• Ali says:

can’t skate and couldn’t crack a washington defense that is weak past the top 3. For me it’s a pass.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think that is entirely accurate. Oates did not like having players playing off of their natural positions. Shultz did not get in as he is a lefty and was playing the right side when Oates took over. Oates conducted his own study and found players playing on their off wing so to speak, made a lot more turn overs than those playing on their natural side.

Having said that, the Habs need a big top 4 right handed defenceman.

Habfan17

• LizardKing12 says:

Funny, seeing as he moved his franchise player to his opposite wing…

• Habfan17 says:

There are exceptions to every rule. Ovie is an elite talent. That does not change the results of the study.

Habfan17

• LizardKing12 says:

Haha yeah for sure, elite talents like that don’t usually fall into those categories. I just find it kind of funny that he seems to be one of the coaches that’s most adamantly against players playing their off sides yet he chose to force the team’s best player to change sides. Obviously it worked out Ovi was a first team allstar at right wing! Just a bit ironic is all.

• LizardKing12 says:

Jeff Schultz would address an entirely different need, it’s apples and oranges. I hate Briere, especially since he turned down a deal from the Habs that would have paid more, to go play in Philly. However, the Habs have a hole at top 6 right wing and need a player that can replace Ryder’s production. Briere fits that mold.

I know he lacks size but this will be a short term deal. MB clearly doesn’t consider this team a contender yet and is waiting until his draft picks start making the NHL before really shaping this team. Why should we go out and spend ridiculous money in free agency, get our hands tied with long term deals and then not have the room to maneuver once the team is truly ready to contend. Take it for what it is, a stop gap move that will allow the team to compete for a playoff spot and get the kids more playoff experience. Short term, low risk, cap friendly move that will give Bergevin the flexibility to improve the team when it really matters.

• krob1000 says:

Keith Ballard

• bwoar says:

is terrible.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

lol…funny but not true..or so many believe. I spent the better part of 3 hours yesterday reading all sorts of reports from fans,blogs columnists,etc and there were very few poeple who had anything bad to say about Ballard…it was almost unanimous that he was a victim of circumstance and his contract.

33. Bill says:

@JohnnyLarue: did you miss last week’s Weekly World News? Picture of Price with headline: “Hobbit Emerges From Hole: Buys Groceries”.

34. krob1000 says:

Briere also likely sees in Montreal an opportunity to play on a top line….the team also sorely lacks a right handed forward pp presence with Ryder gone. The more I think about it knowing he wants one year it is a perfect fit.

35. Buzz Lightbeer says:

McCarron Wearing the #32 again in the video. What does that mean? Does anybody know the “rules” of what # you wear at camp?

36. Psycho29 says:

Yikes! Flyers continue spending!

Pierre LeBrun ‏ @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Hearing that Claude Giroux and the Flyers are close to agreeing to an 8-yr deal worth north of $8 M a year…

• Chris says:

Can’t really argue with that deal. Giroux is right there among the best players in the NHL.

• krob1000 says:

You know…every year I hear how Philly, Boston and Pittsburgh are in cap trouble….same with Chicago…yet there they are…icing good teams year after year. You hear that free agents won’t want to go to a place that buys guys out or trades them….CRAP!…..players go to teams for 3 reasons… for the money , for their family and to win.

• Ed says:

that is a post I agree with! I have been telling people here for 4 years that there are always moves to get around the Cap, and I’ve heard GM’s say the same thing.

if you get a chance to grab a player that fits your specific plan, then you sign him, look down at your roster, and make changes to get under the Cap.

also I agree about money, family, and to win.

• Fake says:

I am so glad we have Patches at 4.5M per. He was basically a ppg player this year and would’ve been better in the playoffs had he not had a shoulder or arm problem.

• johnnylarue says:

Not a single one of these ludicrously fat contracts goes by that I don’t think about Pacioretty and what a bargain he is in comparison.

37. Bill says:

More rumours … but TVA is saying Habs and Briere to meet later on tonight?

Also heard on Twitter that Briere is at a charity golf tournament in Northern Ontario, so …

Just FWIW.

Full Breezer 4 Life

38. johnnylarue says:

So… Kevin Weekes calls Price, quote, “a 5-Tool G”, and I’m the only one here who’s like WTF!?

First of all, that strikes me as extremely personal information to be sharing with the world.

Second, if it were true, why have I never seen Price on the cover of the Weekly World News??

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated likes the Canadiens’ choice of Zachary Fucale in the second round. He explains that Craig McTavish was poised to draft him with the very next pick, but traded that to LA immediately when the choice was announced. Dean Lombardi used the choice he traded up for to snap up Valentin Zykov.

Also, is it just me, or is Sasha Barkov one of the more awkward-looking kids at the draft? He reminds me of a beefier Jim Gaffigan, which is saying something.

• johnnylarue says:

Barkov is like that guy in high school who skipped puberty altogether and went straight to balding and growing a moustache. Whatever social awkwardness might arise from this condition is rapidly erased by his ability to purchase beer anywhere and never get carded.

40. jon514 says:

Wow. Clarkson @ 6M is a bad deal. 1 30 goal season and a bunch of < 15 goal seasons. He's also a career minus player. Am I missing something?

• habs-fan-84 says:

where have you seen this?

• LizardKing12 says:

Apparently Dreger is reporting Clarkson will sign for 6M. I think that’s ridiculous. I posted about it below. Like Jon is saying this is a guy that has only 1 30 goal season. He has a career points per game of 0.39 and has never even put up 50 points in a season. He is essentially a rugged 3rd line winger who scored 30 goals once and is now apparently the second coming of Eric Lindros.

41. NightRyder says:

I decide if it’s a good thing or a bad thing that I just went through a list of free agents and decided the most sensible move for this hockey club would be to sign Boyd Gordon (with a tepid nod to Viktor Stalberg).

42. youngwun says:

Don’t get your hopes up about any of those free agents. They won’t come here. The only one we have a chance of getting is briere .

43. Habsbill24 says:

Apparently not much value for money when it comes to Belarussian hockey players. AK now toiling in the KHL, SK bought out by Nashville yesterday and Grabovski bought out by Toronto today. Would not want any of them on my team.

44. LizardKing12 says:

Briere on a short term deal is just a stop gap. Doesn’t seem like his going to be asking for much more than 3-4 mil, which would make him an affordable replacement for Ryder’s production. Bergevin is attempting to build this team through the draft and in 2-3 years when the draft picks start making the team that is when we will see the big moves from MB. At the moment the team is not ready to contend and although adding size would be nice I don’t feel like it will take the team to a cup win. For now Bergevin is likely trying to keep the team competitive to get the younger guys more playoff experience but he does not want to get his hands tied in long term contracts with aging players that will handcuff him when the team is truly ready to contend.

• habstrinifan says:

u ok with Briere @ 4 mill? WOW!

• LizardKing12 says:

On a 1 year deal, yeah I am. I actually hate the guy and would prefer not to root for him haha. However from a hockey standpoint I understand why Bergevin is after him. He needs to replace Ryder’s production. There are very few scoring right wingers in UFA and very few that will allow Bergevin to not have to sign them to long term deals.

Bergevin is clearly looking for a very short term stop gap type solutions. He is building the team through the draft. Once Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Collberg, McCaron, De La Rose etc. are becoming NHL regulars he will have a better idea of what this team needs to win a cup and will go out and make those moves. As of today we are still a long way from contending. No point overspending on mediocre UFAs like Clarkson and getting stuck with useless long term deals.

45. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Glad to see Waite aboard as the new goalie coach. Managed to take 2 goalies who are both good but not what i would consider world class and win 2 cups. They both had fantastic teams playing in front of them but also were able to make very key,game changing saves when needed and not buckle under pressure of elimination and series clinching games. The mental aspects of the game that would seem to help Price and not so much “technique”.

46. frontenac1 says:

Uh-oh. Only 9 more people would like to see Briere signed than Matt Cooke!

47. Dunboyne Mike says:

Does this help?

oday, 12:08 PM
    #80
    Coldplay
    Courage

Join Date: Aug 2008
    Location: Montréal
    Country:
    Posts: 12,606
    vCash: 155
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grant McCagg
    It’s news to Trevor…….so I would have to say the rumours are false. :-)
    Thank the lord.

Bless you, Grant.

• krob1000 says:

can you translate that into stupidese as that is obviously what I speak because I have no idea what this means. Hopefully it menas the Timmins rumour is false?

• Ozmodiar says:

Looks like a quote from a comment on hfboards of someone quoting another hfboards comment from McCagg – “It’s news to Trevor…”.

McCagg knows TT.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Apologies! I found it, attempted to copy, pasted into the Comment box, then had to attend to a minor domestic emergency! Clicked Submit as I ran off! Never examined the results. Apologies!

Oz (below) is right, I found it on hfboards. (Probably everyone on HIO found it on hfboards 10 hours ago! O God I’m turning into a human “You Might Also Like”!)

• bwoar says:

A change might’ve done some good.

“thoroughbred”

48. johnnylarue says:

Hopefully we won’t have to Waite too long to see some positive results from this new goalie coach hiring.

49. NightRyder says:

Is Lou Lamoriello drunk?
    He gives Zubrus (35 years old, two goals last year) $9.3M over three years and Elias (still a decent player but 37 years old) $16.5M over three years. That’s $8.6M of cap space for three years on fossils who are only going to get worse.
    Mind you, it’s still less than the $10.75M the Habs are giving Gionta and Markov this year.

• HabFanSince72 says:

He could’ve kept Parise …

• johnnylarue says:

I would be somewhat disheartened if I was a Devils fan… But I suppose I would be even more disheartened about living in New Jersey.

Such that those signings, in relative terms, might actually seem like a good thing…!

But seriously, that tells you everything you need to know about the thinness of the UFA market this year.

• B says:

Despite what a poster tried to tell me here yesterday, Lou Lamoriello is not an idiot. He has a very good track record and is widely respected. Who in the league knows Clarkson better than New Jersey? It says something to me that they were not willing to overpay to keep Clarkson. He is a solid player that any team would love on their roster, but there is a limit to how much he is actually worth contract wise.

–Go Habs Go!–

50. Ozmodiar says:

Waite: Good hire.

Crawford said the turning point for him last year was Waite telling him to control his movements. To stay more centered in the net.

I think Price’s biggest issue last year was that he was all over the place. Hopefully Waite can do the same for him.

• bwoar says:

That totally applies to Price and it was one of his strengths before hw made The Show.

“thoroughbred”

• johnnylarue says:

Agreed. He was definitely a “hot mess” by the end of last season, especially in terms of his positioning. Seemed to be overcompensating a lot, coming out too far to challenge shooters, etc.

Change is good.

• B says:

I’m no goalie (or goalie coach), but it seems to me that Price tends to make himself look smaller and often gets caught too deep in his net. I believe most goalies are taught to make themselves look big in the net.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree, could be the summer’s most important move.
      Much more knowledgeable people here than myself have forcefully (and persuasively) told me I’m wrong, but I thought Price was spending way too much time on his knees.

51. LizardKing12 says:

Why is everyone so high on Clarkson?The way his name is bandied about as the top UFA you’d think he was a hulking monster of a power forward who perennially scores 30 goals and 60+ points. He is certainly capable of scoring 30 goals but has by no means shown that he will do so on a yearly basis. He has technically only done it once and has a career average of .39 points per game (roughly 33 points per season).

I know that a big selling point for Clarkson is his physical game but he is not exactly a behemoth. He’s only 6’1 and 200 pounds, fairly average for an NHL player nowadays. He is definitely a physical player though and seems to be a pretty good fighter, however I don’t see how that can justify is reported asking price of 5.2 mil per year for 7 years (not to mention Dreger is predicting 6+ mil per season). This is a guy who will likely have a difficult time putting up 50 points (seeing as he’s never done it) and is by no means a proven goal scorer. Just because he can bring some physicality to a team he is going to cash in at over 5 million per season. He’s a glorified bottom sixer. If someone does give him that contract I’m willing to bet he doesn’t hit the 30 goal mark more than twice in the seven years.

52. JUST ME says:

Now Grabovsky is being bought out by the Leafs. Just a year ago they gave him that way overpaid deal ! At the end of the day he will get a great pay raise. Like every other player that was bought out. There is always a G.M. bumb enough to fall in the trap and overpay for what he thinks will be a star in his team. Up until his budget is almost busted and then wonders why…What was the purpose of the buyout thing again ?

53. The Dude says:

Real happy bout the big athletes being drafted by C.H. AS WELL AS THE NEW GOALIE COACH! As for who to grab next? Well that’s easy… Mike Riberio. He’s been outstanding”even fighting,lol’ and arguably was the Caps best player on a team with Ovie! He’s a home town fellow who has that Portuguese fire starter in his blood and has grown into a Great Hockey player. Move some one like Gionta or DD and mak it happen……..

54. JF says:

I’m impressed Bergevin managed to lure Stéphane Waite from Chicago. I heard only ten days ago that the Hawks wanted to keep him and he wanted to stay. He coached both Antti Niemi and Corey Crawford in their Cup years. Neither goaltender was particularly impressive before that; I really think he can help Price.

55. Habfan17 says:

What a great photo seeing Mccarron standing beside Hudon…lol He even makes Gregoire look small!

Habfan17

56. NightRyder says:

Have the Gazette writers released their votes on the Ovechkin snafu?

57. fastfreddy says:

What is Trevor Timmins official job title?
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

Heard the bozos on sportsnet flippantly mention Timmins leaving for a new job.

Then heard PK on radio, he sure likes the microphone.

• Un Canadien errant says:

There was a great story about Gary Carter, how he saw a group of journalists in a airport or hotel lobby, and he made a beeline for them, instead of trying to duck them like the rest of the Expos were, and Warren Cromartie was giving him the gears, telling Gary: “Give them a chance to turn on their tape recorders, will you?”

59. florida habs says:

Hilarious, all the owners/coach/gm going down to visit Luongo in Florida to appease him and smooth the waters, what a mess in Van.

• Bill says:

So poorly handled. Luongo should never have been blamed for Vancouver’s playoff troubles. They scored 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF … Luongo would have had to basically shut the Bruins out every game.

The contract was a ridiculous move. But so was assuming Schneider was that much better a goalie on so little evidence.

Full Breezer 4 Life

60. Psycho29 says:

Tweet from:

Kevin Weekes ‏ @KevinWeekes

Price is a 5-Tool G that can & should be Top 5 in the NHL,I’m interested to see which elements Waite focuses on with him.

61. Newf_Habster says:

I do not want Briere to be with Habs, period.

He betrayed us by rejecting the offer from them and signing with the Flyers several years ago.

In addition, he is old like Papa Smurf.

His hockey skills are way downward.

I would be pissed off if they signed him.

62. zozotheclown says:

As a minor league (peewee) goalie coach I’m bummed I didn’t get the call (maybe next time). But Waite from Chicago seems like a really good choice. Tons of experience, and he did a really good job with the Chicago guys. The improvement in Crawford over the last 2 years has been incredible. Most of that has to be credited to the goalie and his offseason training, but Waite deserves a lot of credit as well.

• Bill says:

HIO had many good candidates actually. I have been reading authoritative goaltending critiques from many guys here who obviously must have NHL goaltending experience and knowledge for years, so I think you simply had too much competition. Bergevin was making the safe choice, haha. But I feel your pain.

Full Breezer 4 Life

63. frontenac1 says:

Are La La and Poo Poo still available?

64. donmarco says:

My 2 cents on what to do with 9 Million, or at least what the Habs might do with it;

Sign Briere for one year at 5 Million (or 2 at 8)
    Sign Cooke for 2 million.
    Bring back Hal Gill for one year at 1.5 million just for depth and experience. And to bitch slap PK every once in a while just for fun.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Liking 1 and 3.
      Not 2, unless 3 gets to bitch slap 2 every 5 minutes, 24/7, and he never gets to wear the jersey and doesn’t live in Montreal or attend away games.

65. mrhabby says:

whats this talk about Trevor Timmins going to the jackets….i really hope this is bs…

66. krob1000 says:

I would be seriously pissed if Timmins ended up in Columbus….Rychel, Dano, Heatherington were all playes I liked and they took…although Columbus is now into small skilled players and if Timmins goes there I am sure something could be worked out….

• mrhabby says:

like a decent pick..like i said i hope this is bs.

• Newf_Habster says:

Where did you get info about Timmins of coming to CBJ? From Eklund? hockeyyinsiderr? the_creasy?

• krob1000 says:

not my story..just going with what was said below..apparently there is some talk of it…hopefully bs…but it kinda makes sense. You look at a new gm, Timmins picks this year were need based…not necessarily skill based and that is not how he normally operates, the Columbus GM comes out and says they prefer smaller, skilled guys ….makes an interesting rumour and one that almost makes sense. Maybe Timmins philosophy is diff’t then MB’s. I hope not…but it isn’t that far fetched.

• Ron says:

You know krob if you look at the draft and see where MB picked players one would think that just maybe he did not listen to TT enough and he thinks its time to move on. Maybe the smurfs at the end were to appease TT for the early rounds. Hope that’s not the case but if he goes then so be it. Might be a little power play going on with Dudley etc. Who knows.

• florida habs says:

Mallard made the comment on sportsnet

• Ozmodiar says:

I thought Dano and Heatherington were taken a bit early. Good players, but I wonder if they could have traded down…

67. Bripro says:

And the negotiations and signings continue:

Patrick Elias has signed with NJ for 3 years at $5.5MM per.

68. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Grabo buyout does mean the Leafs are going to go after someone, I assume. Guessing it’s Clarkson, whom they will overpay immensely.

I like the idea of Clarkson on the Habs, but at 4 maybe 4.5, for 4 years. The Leafs are going to throw way more than that at him and are welcome to. He’s good, but he’s not that good.

69. florida habs says:

Elias, renews in NJ $16M/ 3YRS

70. mark-ID says:

Elias signs in NJ, 3 years/ 16.5 mil, does that take them out of the Briere sweepsteaks?

71. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Grabovski, Komisarek, SK74 and Hal Gill all recently put on waivers/bought out.

No one is ever going to make a trade with us again, haha

72. Un Canadien errant says:

According to nhl.com’s buyout tracker, Mikhail Grabovski is not a buyout target as of now.

Unless we get clarification, he could have been put on ‘regular’ waivers, with the hope by the Leafs that someone will claim him and take the contract obligations off their hands, like the Canadiens did with Tomas Kaberle.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, so the NHL’s tracker isn’t updated yet, but TSN confirms Mikhail Graboski will be bought out.

Too bad, I was hoping that albatross would be around their neck for a long while.

I wonder if Andrei and Sergei’s KHL team is making overtures to his agent now?

• Strummer says:

it’s on the Globe and Mail too

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Maritime Ron says:

You may be onto something.
      It was reported that the last day for waivers for a Compliance Buyout was yesterday.
      Grab may end up being just a normal buyout therefore allowing the Leafs to use their other Compliance buyout next summer.
      Seems as though the rules change every day

73. The Jackal says:

To those fretting about Briere possibly being a Hab, just ask yourself this: is he better than Ryder? Yes.

Good addition for a couple of years.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. florida habs says:

PK on sportsnet, commentaries center around his number, a $76m contract. PK said MB can contact his agent to re-negotiate but will be happy to play out his contract.