McCarron, Bournival shine in Habs shootout loss to Sabres (Video)

McCarronweb

The Canadiens’ dropped their first preseason game Sunday, but there were bright spots in their 5-4 shootout loss to the Buffalo Sabres.

Canadiens’ first-round draft pick Michael McCarron turned in a strong performance at the Bell Centre, collecting two assists and playing a physical game.

“That was his best presence on the ice,” Coach Michel Therrien said.

“It’s not always easy for big guys like that to play in scrimmages and to play against veteran players on their own team,” Therrien said.

“But like I said (Saturday) this is the next step to the training camp– exhibition games, competing against other teams, other players.  We saw that (tonight) he stepped up his game physically.”

McCarron played on a line with Martin St. Pierre and Michaël Bournival that led the Habs’ offense.  Bournival, who played for the Hamilton Bulldogs last season, scored twice and St. Pierre added a goal in the third period.

“I thought our line clicked really well tonight,” McCarron said.

Therrien also said he likes Bournival’s quickness and the fact that he never stops working.

Things got testy in the third period when Alex Galchenyuk checked Sabres’ defenseman Jamie McBain, knocking him down. Patrick Kaleta went after Galchenyuk and then Brendan Gallagher tried to come to his linemate’s defense. Later in the period Brandon Prust cross-checked Kaleta who fell to the ice and received a diving penalty. Prust was also penalized on the play.

Only a handful of Canadiens’ veterans played against the Sabres, including linemates Gallagher, Lars Eller and Galchenyuk.

“I thought we had six or seven young guys who could play junior this year in the same lineup tonight,” Therrien said. “So I’m really pleased about the way they competed.”

You can listen to what McCarron had to say after the game here:

Canadiens’ prospect Zachary Fucale shared the goaltending duties with Budaj. You can listen to what Fucale said here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. Eddie says:

if you flip the page, Boone is back on the next thread.

2. steste11 says:

Anyone have a link to the lineup for the Habs game tonight??

P.K 2013 Norris Trophy Winner

@Luke – was Pink Floyd you listened to played by these guys?

4. shiram says:

Prog is interesting genre, but on it’s own it can be sort of bland and hard to digest, I like to have it mixed.
    I really enjoy the 80’s cheesy style of Fates Warning, though the singing voice can be grating to some.
    In more recent times, Dream Theater was the household prog/metal band, and they certainly feature extremely talented musicians, but it’s somewhat tasteless music to me.
    Opeth brings a great does of variety to the mix, but might not be to everyone’s palate, as they can go from mild soft kitten rock, to balls out death metal within one song.

And I do enjoy some Pink Floyd once in a while as well.
    As for rap, well does Anthrax’s cover of bring the noise count?

• habs-fan-84 says:

As a musician I love prog….it’s like food for the brain. Understandably, to the non-musican’s I can see why Dream Theater or other similar bands/artists don’t appeal.

• shiram says:

I love prog, but it’s something that requires a certain mind-frame and some space to breathe.
        So most of the time I’m not listening to it, but once in a while the cravings come…
        I was really turned off Dream Theater after seeing them live, that was with Portnoy back then, they just did not know how to work a stage and involve the crowd.

• johnnylarue says:

Prog scares girls away and should by that virtue alone be considered a cultural pathogen.

That said, I have a soft spot for Genesis’ “The Lamb Lies Down…” album and have even been known to tolerate the odd early Yes lp if I’m in the right mood.

• Luke says:

I’ve got a pretty wide range of genres that I like and listen to. prog has it’s place in there too…

Now, it’s music, I do understand it’s all one’s taste too… a bit like arguing religion and politics, I suppose.

I should once again clarify that I do not hate Floyd. I just don’t get why the are beloved by so many, so much.

@Bill: I tried to answer your question about my irrational Clapton hate. It was shuffled off to the “older comments” page.

• johnnylarue says:

I share your irrational Clapton hate. I can’t stand the white-man-electric-blues wank. Drives me crazy!

As for Floyd, I like their properly drugged-out early stuff (pre-Dark Side), and I acknowledge that there’s merit in a lot of their work up to the mid-80s or whatever, but I largely dismiss the latter as the sort of “McDonald’s” of pot music for the mellow suburbanite set. In other words, there’s just enough weirdness in it to make it feel adventurous to listeners with otherwise fairly milquetoast/conservative tastes. Gives baby-boomers a chance to reconnect with their “wild side” without offending the neighbours.

That, and they know how to write a catchy song every now and again. ;)

5. TheDagger says:

PinkFloydInsideOut

6. Habsrule1 says:

Ok, I get it. Nobody wants to have a Guinness at Hurley’s with me before Saturday’s game.
    Good thing my brother doesn’t know me as well as you guys LOL

I have a gift card for the Habs boutique and I’m thinking about using it towards having #76 stitched onto my jersey.

7. Mattyleg says:

I watched a good deal of last night’s game, and this is what I noticed:

1) Reway looks like he’s 14.

b) The Sabres have a player called McBain, and all I could think about was this.

iii) I only watched part of it because nothing constructive can be taken away from this game as a fan. Certain players played badly? Huh. They were playing with kids and rookies. Certain players played well? Huh. They were playing against kids and rookies.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mark-ID says:

haha oh man, it’s funny that you say that about McBain. Everytime I hear his name on TV, i can’t help but repeat it in the Simpsons characters voice.

8. Luke says:

I addition to Pink Floyd sucking… Freidman has posted:

(OK, that was mean. They don’t totally suck… )

• mark-ID says:

it is interesting that players won’t be allowed to tuck in their jersey’s anymore. It has been in the league forever. I noticed last night that Gallagher had the partial tuck going on. Wondered if he was warned.

• krob1000 says:

Not a huge fan myself but said they were unimpotant or something along those lines…they were definitely innovators and the wall is one of the more creative albums ever written …

• Luke says:

I didn’t say they were unimportant.

I said that I thought their music was ‘mediocre’ and that I don’t understand the generational relevance.

Sort of like how many kids growing up these days won’t get totally the Beastie Boys or Run DMC… How they changed the landscape beyond what their music did.

Floyd, to me, is some Prog Rock band that had some good tunes, some bad tunes and released a concept album that people like a little too much.

• Cal says:

All a question of taste. Rap and hiphop for me is something I can’t relate to, not being a teenager in the 80s and beyond.
          There was an explosion of “new music” in the 60s, but much of it was a fusion of Mississippi Delta Blues and skiffle.
          The one thing that’s helped me get an appreciation of most music is by remembering songs that were played on the radio when I was a kid. That was an eclectic mix, from Aznavour, Chevalier and Piaf to Alice Cooper and Led Zeppelin.

• Luke says:

I’m not much for Rap or Hip-Hop either, but I do ‘get’ the signifigance of some of the artists… even if I am not a fan.

But Floyd is rock… I love rock. That’s why I don’t understand it.

• Mattyleg says:

One of Ovie’s quotes in Freidman’s article:
      “But most important thing, nobody talk to us, the players.”

What is Freidman trying to do here, in all his limitless wisdom?
      Is he trying to make Ovechkin appear stupid, or did he simply let his Grade 9 dialogue exercise for English class bleed into his job as a grown-up journalist?

Why doesn’t he use [square parentheses to indicate editorial adjustment] to what Ovechkin says?

What a ding-dong.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. TheDagger says:

Need my Habs fix. Will the game be on tsn.ca tonight? Or another site?

10. krob1000 says:

Frazer Mclaren is out 4-6 weeks….fractured pinky

11. Luke says:

Never really got into Pink Floyd.

Not really much of a fan… kinda mediocre in my opinion. Don’t get all the hype…

• Cal says:

Now yer just askin’ fer it, ain’tcha?

• Luke says:

Funny that I read you asking for things to “liven up” just after i posted that.

But I’m being serious… I don’t know if it’s my age (39) so i miss out on all the generational relevance, but I don’t think so.
        I get Hendrix, the Allmans, the Beatles and Buddy Holly. CCR and Zeppelin, the Who and the Stones… even the despised hack Eric Clapton. I understand Elvis and Fats Domino & Ray Charles and Miles Davis.

I think I really get (on some level) bands and musicians that were before my time, but important beyond the scope of “just the tunes.”

Floyd…I don’t. At all.

• habs-fan-84 says:

David Gilmour.

• Luke says:

I had a bit about knowing that Gilmour and Waters were quite talented… (when Gilmour was functional, that is. I have heard that he was, at times, so high and incapable of playing that they did not broadcast his audio during some live shows).

But many folks are talented…

Are they any better or really that dis-similar to Dire Straits or Rush?

I love Dire Straits (Knopfler is one of my favourite guitar players) and don’t mind some Rush, but I wouldn’t catalogue them as all time great bands (So I’m pissing off Rush and PF fans today it would seem…)

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think you may be thinking of Syd Barrett…

• Luke says:

@ HF84 – Perhaps… It was a while back that I heard that.

(edit): Yah. Just read a bit of the wiki on Syd. Wow.

Gilmour replaced him.

• habs-fan-84 says:

@ Luke

I think you’re definitely thinking of Syd Barrett. Gilmour is a world class musician. His live playing is always spot on.
            They’re very different from Dire Straits and Rush. If you can’t enjoy Breathe or Brain Damage then you probably won’t like Floyd.

• Timo says:

Try some of them funny smokes while listening to PF. You might feel different.

• Bill says:

Now I’m curious. The guy who doesn’t “get” Floyd also calling Clapton a “hack”. Hmm. Hmm hmm hmm. Now I’m a pretty serious musician myself and I have never heard anyone call Clapton a hack. Could you explain where this comes from?

As for Floyd, nothing to get. You either like that heavily polished progressive rock thing or you don’t. I like Floyd and Alan Parsons in that vein, but I would say that some of Floyd’s better tracks are milestones and will be remembered. But that’s really a matter of taste.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Eddie says:

Bill,

You literally wrote the same post about Clapton I was about to write. I think if you got 1000 of the greatest living musicians all in the same room, not one would describe Clapton negatively, and there may not be another living soul on the planet who would describe Clapton as a “hack”

Man, I am at a loss for words so I will just stop this post before I lose it.

• Luke says:

The “hack” comment is sort of a running gag I have. (I thought we’d discussed Clapton around here before, so I figured I’d have made the comment already and it wouldn’t need further explaination! HaHa!!).

I was never the biggest Clapton fan to begin with. In my group of friends we sort of had 2 camps: Clapton or Vaughan. I was firmly entrenched in the SRV camp.

When I saw Clapton live at Maple Leaf Gardens he seemed uninterested, didn’t put on much of a show and he was rather rude to the crowd at times.

Even the Clapton crew I was with were very disappointed with that show. In fact, we were discussing it this summer! He really turned a lot of that group off.

Now the “Hack” comes from some in-Pub conversations me and my friends have. Some of these guys are spectacular musicians and have and continue play all over the world. None of those guys are big Clapton fans either.

There’s only one or two of the pub regulars/musicians that really like EC, so once they start talking about him (and they LOVE him), it usually devolves into an overly-exaggerated session about how EC is the absolute worst.

So that’s where ‘Hack’ comes from. not being the biggest fan of his, A bad concert & some teasing friends about him. It’s an involuntary reaction, at this point, to rip on Clapton.

I’m a pretty crappy guitar player. I do get that he’s not a hack in truest sense of the word. It’s just less fun to admit it.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Wow, this place is pretty quite today considering the Habs played their 1st preseason game last night. A game that featured many of the prospects who are discussed a million times over around here.

Guess people actually have work to do today :-).

13. Sportfan says:

Hey Guys an article about my favorite Expo Vlad who just announced his retirement recently! http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/09/16/reflections-on-vladimir-guerreros-career/

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. JO says:

As long as the Habs show up in the regular season. That’s all I care about. This preseason stuff is a show and tell for the Kids.
    Maybe not one of them will make it with the big team this year.

The big team has already been decided hoping they’re gonna be good enough to make the playoffs. That’s about as much as they’re looking for this year.

Next year they’ll try and improve enough to complete a couple of playoff rounds …

15. --Habs-- says:

You know TSN (Toronto Suckhole Network) is pissing me off. What a garbage sports network they are! I had to go to ESPN to get updated NHL scores while TSN was AGAIN asleep at the wheel. What is it budget cuts or just slightly behind our times. That on top of they sensor anything you write. I thought Canada was a free country where you could voice your opinion OR is it unless they don’t like what you say or agree with your opinion? Its like dealing with the Russian media!

Go HABS Go

• Habsrule1 says:

Depends how stupid what you write is….or if there’s swearing in it.
      No decent sports site would tolerate swearing on a public forum.

What did you write?

• Habilis says:

The site is mediocre for sure, but the comments section is an utter joke. It’s so obvious that whoever screens the posts are Leaf fans. I post on there once a week or so, just for kicks. I make it through maybe twice a year, and that’s not even an exaggeration. I never swear, never name-call, never call out other posters. But my posts are usually bashing the Leafs or their management, so they almost never get through. Of course the posts bashing the Habs always seem abundant. It’s comical really. Why even have a comments section if you’re only going to let one side rant?

16. aemarchand11 says:

So many times last night it looked like McCarron was going to destroy a guy, but his lack of foot speed is his obvious knock right now. Its exciting to see how he will be after a year with the Hunters and the Habs training staff.

It was funny because when Steve Ott was after St.Pierre you could tell McCarron wanted to get involved but he was far too gassed and needed a sit.

17. B says:

It was just the first preseason game so I am not going to base any dire predictions on it. Diaz was the most experienced Dman for the Habs. Up front the Habs NHLers were the Eller line (a -1 for the game) and Prust (a -3 for the game). It was great to have a look at some of the prospects, that’s what last night was for.

–Go Habs Go!–

18. krob1000 says:

Again..only saw small portion of game but that play by Bournival to get the puck to Eller where he drew the late penalty was some serious work ethic. Gallagher kept a few pucks alive as well with a little extra effort…if only everyone would do that every play.

Looking forward to seeing DD, Patches and Briere…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Bournival looked great, no question. Bergevin is going to be busy over the next few years finding spots for young players or trading away some of his assets.

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, Bournival’s a gamer. Mike Keane comes to mind. Pure hustle, great defensive awareness, decent hands. Leadership.

Hard to say where he fits in with the CH but it seems he’s destined for The Show–whether it’s in Montreal or elsewhere.

• B says:

I doubt Bergevin will suddenly accelerate and / or alter his line up evolution based on the first pre season game of 2013. There will always be room for someone to surprise and move up ahead of schedule, but I really think it will take more than the first pre season game to make it happen. That said, I love it when someone surprises and excels ahead of schedule forcing their way into the line up like Gallagher did last season. It’s a major bonus when that happens. I think it is too early to make a call on it happening again this season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not just talking about Bournival, over the next couple years you’re going to have four or five forwards possibly ready for promotion and a few defenders. Some moves will have to be made. Either veterans on youngsters traded.

• B says:

I think the turnover in the lineup will progress in the next few years in similar numbers to the past few years. I do see the Habs, like the rest of the league, tending to have more prospects than vets coming into the lineup under that turnover. The CBA evolution seems to have teams look more at bringing up prospects than bringing in other teams veteran cast offs.

–Go Habs Go!–

19. krob1000 says:

Galchenyuk better work out another shootout move…he has quick hands but I remember posting a hwile back he goes to the well every time…I seelast nigt the goalie looked like he was expecting that move. If he does it further out maybe he can still get the puck up. That goal of Grigs was awesome…so many body.head fakes….made it look easy

Did you know that league won’t be reviewing high sticking calls this season?

21. thebonscott says:

So only right handed shot dmen who have a chance of being on team are, subban(given), diaz(given……sigh), and pateryn. All the rest —-markov,emelin, bouillion, drewiske(meh), murray, georges and tinordi are all left handed.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• christophor says:

Nygren. Unless you’ve passed judgment after 1 game on North American sized ice

• thebonscott says:

forgot him, is he right or left??

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s pretty unlikely any defenseman will make the team. Tinordi has a chance, but I’ll be shocked if any other rookie d-men make it. Not cause I’m passing judgment but because I just don’t see it happening…..this year.

• christophor says:

That’s reasonable. I think the only reason Nygren has a chance (if he shows last night’s poor performance was due to adjustment) is that he’s a righty. With Emelin gone, Gorges is the only lefty who’s shown he can shift to the right side, and it looks like he’s going with Subban and so not switching. Tinordi looked promising there but it was a small sample. Bouillon looked awful on the right side for the short time they tried him there last year, and I don’t see Murray doing well switching over either. That leaves Drewiske to dress for more games than many would like or Nygren dressing for some. That said, preseason and scrimmage lineups suggest they’re going to try Bouillon there again, which scares me. He’s not a bad 6th D, but on his own side (i.e. left).

Subban-Markov, Nygren-Diaz is a a lot of firepower to deal with on both PP waves, though I think Nygren would have to show he’s capable 5v5 to justify putting both him and Diaz in the line-up some nights.

• B says:

Some folks think Subban could miss the Olympics because that team would have an abundance of right handed Dmen. I am not convinced that will be the case, but like it or not, these things (balance of left / right D) do factor into lineup decisions.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habsrule1 says:

If the best defenseman in the NHL misses the Olympics, something is seriously wrong, regardless of left or right.

• B says:

Subban was great last season, but not everyone (especially outside of Habs fans) is convinced that he is the best Dman in the NHL. There are a hand full of exceptional NHL Dmen, several of whom are righties (including Subban).

–Go Habs Go!–

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

We all tend to focus on the physicality of Emelin’s game (for good reason). But he was pretty neat and tidy with the puck in his own end, too. Going to miss that guy a lot. Even if he can’t be as physical upon his return (though I think he will be), he’s a valuable dman to have back there.

23. Mats Naslund says:

Not trying to be a know it all – but let’s all remember that pre-season hockey is useless for making judgements about what will happen in the regular season – especially at the start of the camp. Each team is filled with guys who are at different levels of preparation – and tonnes of guys who will play a good game or two and then go on to do nothing at lower levels all year long.

• Habsrule1 says:

You are 100% correct. Very difficult to really take anything away from pre-season games, except maybe the last 1 or 2.
      I just judge from how they play as opposed to results. I like McCarron & Tinordi’s style of play, but even that could be stifled against better opponents.

• JUST ME says:

Can`t agree with you more ! Basically this is AHL hockey at best wich does not prevent us from seeing quality performances but at leat we have hope for better things to come!

One must only wish that these kids have the chance to play and dominate at their level and go step by step and maybe one day reach the NHL.

24. Habsrule1 says:

I’ll be at Saturday’s game against Carolina. Anyone else?
    My brother and I are planning pre-game Guinnesses at Hurley’s, probably around 3pm.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ll be there! Might even be in Hurley’s too.
      Going to the Impact game in the afternoon, so it’s going to be a loooong night for my liver.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. DipsyDoodler says:

Here’s the thing about Diaz on H I/O.

No he is not the next Chris Chelios. He’s probably not even the next Mark Streit or Josh Gorges.

And he wasn’t very good last night (but it was the first game of the year and he was one of 5 NHL regulars dressed, and the only one on D).

The problem with the repetitive Diaz complaints are

1. They’re just witless and stupid. Given that 75% of them come from Timo that’s inevitable. But the other 25% are also mostly tediously repetitive.

2. They reflect a sad view of Habs hockey. If Diaz makes it longterm (a big if admittedly) it would be as a skillful puck mover rather than a big tough who drops the gloves on occasion. We should be for the former against the latter. The notion that a pylon who can’t skate but can fight is more worthy is just not what the Canadiens are about. And I don’t need no charter of values to prove it.

Bottom line he’s a free agent who might carve out a decent NHL career. Not really worthy of daily bitching.

• shiram says:

It’s the repetition that gets me, I mean at least try to bring some new complaints once in a while.
      Like he can barely grow a mustache, so he’s a downer for Movember….

• Habsrule1 says:

I think Diaz is a decent player. I’m just not sure the Habs need that type of player right now. He’s soft and I’d like to see bigger, tougher guys in front of Price. That said, we do need a 2nd pp unit guy, so maybe he’s not a bad option. If I’m not mistaken, he doesn’t make all that many errors so he’s not a liability.
      I trust MT/MB do use him properly or trade him for something, maybe in a package….?

26. shiram says:

Hockey is (kinda) back and that’s awesome!
    I watched on streams last night for the first time, and I’m hoping the quality and stability will be better during the regular season, or else I might have to look at hockeystreams or GameCenter+VPN/proxy.

I say hockey is kinda back because it was clear to me that last night was not a true game, but more of a scrimmage/practice what have you…
    The special teams were all over the place, and that’s to be expected, most of those players have not played together before, and have had precious little time to get accustomed to the styles of play Therrien and Co. dictate.

Diaz did look bad his spot is available if he does not step up his game, but I think he can give alot more than he did last night.

I’ll echo most around here and say I was impressed by McCarron, Tinordi, Reway and Bournival.

27. Old Bald Bird says:

One snippet from Engels:

“This is the seventh training camp I’ve been accredited to attend, and the competition level from the prospects is better than it’s ever been–and by a fair margin. The common thread of speed and skill is making that a reality. But it’s character and determination that will get these players to the next level, and it seems likely with what I’ve seen, that a lot of them are going to make it eventually.”

It’s a fairly comprehensive piece.

28. SlimDiggity says:

I have to admit I was hoping for more from Nygren, but I give him a pass as it was his first pro game in NA and he was paired with Lashoff, who might have been the only one worse than Diaz last night.

Speaking of, what happened to Rafael? He seemed so calm and composed last year. He’s fighting the puck badly. The qualities that got him a job on this team last year seem to be deteriorating rapidly. He’ll have time to turn things around, though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The one thing Diaz has is some pose with the puck. He’s good exiting the zone and getting a play started. It’s just real hard to remove the image of him getting run over in the playoffs last season. Last night didn’t help anyone regain confidence in him either.

29. Chuck says:

Okay, who in the building starts the “Seventeen Seconds!” chant tonight?

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

30. Whenever someone on here says Bouillon is too small, I think of this play, where Tucker takes a brutal cheap-shot run at him in a vulnerable position, and Bouillon responds by popping to his feet, dropping his gloves, and dropping Tucker. The verdict: two minutes for Tucker, nothing for Bouillon.

Those were the days. : )

“Until we get an apology we’re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman.” -Sabre Dixon Ward

31. krob1000 says:

I am going to the Habs Ottawa preseason game in ottawa…not sure if it will there or in Montreal but I suspect given the way The playoffs worked out one or both will be unfriendly.

32. thebonscott says:

2 new gooins to watch for tonight are anthony camara and matt fraser, they are both tough and hit a ton, and camara likes the late hit, so hopefully none of our guys get injured

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

33. FishOutOfWater says:

Looks like the Habs are rolling with half their NHL lineup tonight.
    Bruins are looking slightly shorter at 40%

I dont really expect dust ups tonight. I think the guys know its silly. who wants to get hurt in PREseason?

Guys got stuff to prove ya but really. no NHL ready enforcer is going to accept the challenge of a hotshot looking to climb a ladder. and as we saw last night any NHl quality shenanigans will result in a crosscheck to and dumping to the penalty box a la Prust/kaleta.

All i know is I wanna see Malcolm get shelled tonight.

34. thebonscott says:

subban-gorges
    markov murray
    tinordi-pateryn
    bouillion
    or any combination of the above

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

35. twilighthours says:

People thought Nygren was even OK last night? Apart from the PP (where he bombed a few shots into shin pads), I thought he was the worst player out there.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I mentioned Diaz below and almost got my head torn off, but I wasn’t overly impressed with Lashoff or Drewiske either.

Tinordi and Pateryn were the best two last night on defence.

IMO…

• Timo says:

That;s cause you went all negative on Diaz. He is fantastic on PP… the shot, the mobility, the puck movement. I don’t know what game you were watching there buddy, but Diaz was nothing but stellar.

• krob1000 says:

I only saw a couple of minutes…one 4 on 3 pp….it looked to me like an odd pp. They went umbrella on the 4 on 3 and kept settling for one timers from odd angles from the tops of the circles with no traffic…they did notseem to be getting enough down low action with the umbrella formation in that instance or traffic to get any real chances. It was a weird pp I saw…I totally missed most of the game though so I am trying to get reviews but there seems to be some dramatically diff’t views on many players.

• krob1000 says:

wasn’t it pateryn who was caught too far from his man in front on the tying goal? I just got home in time to turn the tv on for that and was still getting settled but I thought it was Pateryn who blew the cov’g on that one and left the guy alone?

• B says:

Pateryn and Tinordi were both rather pedestrian watching Gillies score the tying goal. Both were on for 2 goals against last night, same as Diaz and Nygren.

–Go Habs Go!–

• krob1000 says:

I wasn;t sure how they let a guy that far in behind them unconteseted…if they are going to do the fronting thing they need to still keep the man in range to stick check him from behind. I never got a chance to really look at it closely but when I first saw it I thought it was Paterny’s bad…and I hadn; seen all of the game before so I inintiall though..ouch for him. Then I read the reviews here this morning and he is NHL ready and Nygren and Diaz…who both looked ok in the dying minutes that I saw were not that good? Goes to show you how quick we are to judge…I made assumptiosn after 5 minutes…which is kind of like people here making season assumptions after 1 preseason game..

• thebonscott says:

scratch lashoff and drewiske off the list, they might be ok in the ahl. Diaz treats the puck like a hot potato in the defensive zone, I really hope that he is outward bound this year, promote tinordi and pateryn.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

36. jedimyrmidon says:

What an ignorant blogger: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=53975&blogger_id=6#.UjcgI8asiSo

“Rolston his dressed snarly vets to counter balance any shenanigans and to act as bodyguards to insure no liberties would be taken on Sabres youngsters Girgensons, Grigorenko, Larsson, Ristolainen, and Zadorov.”
    “They were is a foul mood and took no guff from the Canadiens.”

As if the Habs were going to take runs at anyone. By dressing McCormick, Kaleta, Gillies and Ott, it’s more likely that the Sabres were aiming to take liberties with the Habs players (which they attempted to do).

“Veteran center Cody McCormick tossed the mitts and pounded two different Montreal Canadiens. He protected a teammate, then stuck up for himself after he was run from behind. Cody don’t play that. No one had to tell McCormick to step up and represent. He did it of his own volition. McCormick’s line mate Pat Kaleta was in a surly mood, too. Kaleta took exception to a check that Habs youngster Alex Galchenyuk landed on Buffalo D Jamie McBain. ”

“Kaleta landed a couple shots then gave the kid the easy way out of teh fight rather than knocking him into next month. All you Kaleta haters can prop PK36 for being a gentleman and not destroying Galchenyuk with a knockout blow.”

Not sure if the guy is being satirical (I’m pretty sure he isn’t), but this is what’s wrong with the game at times. Neither Tinordi nor Galchenyuk laid any dirty or late hits. They laid solid, clean hits. Hockey fights aren’t supposed to be about standing up for a bruised ego. And in Galchenyuk’s case, Kaleta started wailing on the Habs’ best prospect in two decades who hadn’t even dropped his gloves and had no reason whatsoever to do so. I wish Kaleta could have been suspended indefinitely for that – he could very well have inured Galchenyuk.

Big time in the big town tonight!

P.K. Subban vs Malcolm Subban: here’s the Canadiens lineup for tonight’s game against the Boston Bruins -> http://goha.bs/1eDrfKv

You guys/girls are slow today… what’s everyone doing this fine monday morning… working?

• Habsrule1 says:

As a matter of fact I am….fresh off a few days in Vegas.
      Surprisingly not much hockey talk there, but I did spot a Habs cap and someone from Toronto felt the need to show me his Habs tattoo when he saw mine…!

• FishOutOfWater says:

waking up…. Cofeee….. 420 Smookkkee ….

Then i gotta drive to toronto to work. then while at work i gotta find a stream for preseason tonight. and thatll be my monday.

maybe ill find some new music or something to get excited about but so far today is everything i thought it would be . a monday.

39. Kooch7800 says:

is Pleks hurt? He didn’t play last night and isn’t in the line up tonight either
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

40. zephyr says:

McCarron impressed me too. if he can keep this up, he might have a shot this year. still looks a bit awkward at times but so what. he was a force. prob plays in junior this yr tho. bournival looked great. tough to crack our top 9 tho. tinordi & pateryn looked good too. it’s only 1 game but I could see them both staying.

41. Habsrule1 says:

Fun game to watch last night. I loved McCarron & Tinordi the most. Really hard to judge how good players are in a game like that, but I just loved the way they played.
    That said, Tinordi may start with the Habs but I believe there is zero chance McCarron does. He’s pegged for London and playing in Montreal could set him back. He’s not ready. Last night was his best showing of the training camp. I think there is no way the Habs rush this particular type of player.
    Looking forward to seeing PK tee one up on his brother tonight!

Go Habs Go!!

Tonight Habs go with Moar Bigger.

Man, it was good to watch some hockey last night, albeit meaningless. Oct cannot come soon enough.

• Luke says:

Meaningless and sloppy… I think the kids stood out more than the (few) vets because they’ve been at it a littkle bit longer with the extra week of training camp and scrimmages…

Kaleta was in mid-season form though. Running away and hiding from anyone who might stand up to him. Chirping and squaking and acting tough whenever he thought he wopuldn’t have to answer for it.

He’s such a coward and a fink. He play on a line with John Scott who, sadly for JS, has to fight Kaleta’s fights.
      Goons don’t help Kessel score 40 goals. They help Kaleta be a dangerous rat who doesn’t have to answer for his transgressions.

I’m not one to generally wish ill on folks, but I would not be unhappy if he suffered a terrible career ending injury that required many years of torturous rehab.

44. ont fan says:

I see the game tonight is on TSN2.

45. Mattyleg says:

Kaleta is a gutless, cheating puke.
    That is all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

46. JUST ME says:

We seem to have many different individuals and many more different type of hockey players than we had before in the farm system. This is very positive.

We have to take a step back and be careful not to be over enthousiastic and prevent the kids to fully develop at the level they should be.
    Tinordi is impressive and in my book ready to play with the big boys. Bournival also could be useful in NHL cause he is a two way player .

McCarron is like a mirage…We do not have those kind of players with the habs but he is a kid and we must wait…
    I would not be mad if all the kids go back down in the farm system cause i know it is promissing and changes are coming.
    Anyway 9 of our regulars need to renegociate a new deal with the habs cause this is their last season. From what we see with the kids , i think that a few trades can be expected.

47. Balzac says:

«Patrick Kaleta went after Galchenyuk and then Brendan Gallagher tried to come to his linemate’s defense.»

LOL! War Gallagher!

48. thebonscott says:

happy that tarnasky is playing tonight, curious what he can do, probably better than moen, just like tinordi is better than diaz. But neither will prob make team because of 2 way contracts, although i don’t know how you keep tinordi off the team.

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

49. Loonie says:

So if McCarron has looked this good why is Christian Thomas getting the shot with Plekanec and Bourque?

This is the perfect scenario to give McCarron NHL experience. Gionta uses the first week or two of the season to get healthy and McCarron plays until he has to be sent to London.

• SlovakHab says:

Tomas Plekanec has been traditionally playing against other teams’ top lines.
      Playing him with an 18-year-old rookie could be difficult for matching zones and lines, I guess.

This doesn’t explain playing Thomas there either – but let’s see how he goes against the Bruins.

Having said that, Big Mac looked good last night. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in NHL for a couple of games, although I reckon he wouldn’t look as good against 4 NHL lines. He has some tools but still is raw.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

McCarron has 0 chance of starting the year in the NHL – he’s 100% committed to London. Thomas is a seat-filler for Gionta because they have a similar style game – he may get a few NHL games this year if Gionta isn’t ready to go, but that seems unlikely.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• thebonscott says:

There’s your answer, agree 100%

Are you ready for the bee-sting, Subbang!!!!

• Kooch7800 says:

I disagree. McCarron may get a 9 game showing before going back to Jr. MB and MT have shown that they will give the kids a chance to showcase themselves.
          If he keeps getting points and is involved in the play why not. 9 games till Gio gets back isn’t a bad idea if he can play in his own end. It was only one game so far.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• habs-fan-84 says:

I was wondering the same thing…just curious does he burn a year of his ELC if he plays a game in the NHL, or does the club have 9 games that they can use before burning a year of his ELC?

• Kooch7800 says:

Not sure but yes, I think that would start the clock on the ELC but if he has earned it he should play. I do think though that power forwards usually take some time to develop and he might be better suited for another year in JR to fill out more

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Hstands4Hockey says:

He hasn’t even played Junior hockey yet (i.e. CHL). He’s fresh out of the US Development Program. This is completely different than Galchenyuk who had 2.5 years of CHL experience (albeit he was injured for almost a full season) before he “cracked” the lineup. Even more so than Gallagher who played 4 seasons in the WHL and than another in the AHL.

I still think it’s incredibly unlikely he even plays a few NHL games. They really pushed him to leave the US system and play for London to have a full season of development under Dale Hunter as they did with Tinordi (which seems to be paying dividends for those who watched last night’s game). Maybe it’s just me but it would be bizarre to try and slot him in the NHL for even a few games.

——————————————————————–
            Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
            @Hstands4Hockey

• Kooch7800 says:

I think only due to experience. Christian Thomas played in the AHL last year and did well and even has an NHL game under his belt. Maybe in one of the later preseason games we will see it

I do agree though that McCarron would be good on that line cause he showed last night that he creates room and drives to the net. I have to admit he was a lot better than the way the scouts made him sound at the draft.

He was making smart plays, good passes and used his body to his advantage by driving the net.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

50. XONNEL says:

First off… GREAT to have hockey back!

Tinordi – Some great breakout passes, appears to me that his skating is much improved, had 3-4 great pinches, physical game was great!
    Pateryn – Solid non flashy game from Pateryn, smart body positioning, couple nice plays and 3 points on the board
    Bournival – Great speed, had a physical presence, and showed some nice offensive prowess!

If I was Diaz and Drewiskie I would be very very concerned, last night Tinordi and Pateryn looked the part of NHL defenceman and they did not!

51. Sportfan says:

Here’s the Habs lineup for tonight http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=20309

I feel there are a lot of the shorter players up against the Bruins tonight.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

52. habs-fan-84 says:

It’s unbelievable to think McCarron is only 18! He looked like a monster out there (especially in the offensive zone). The kid is solid already and he still has more room to grow into his frame.

53. Hobie Hansen says:

I followed the game pretty closely last night and kept my eye on the defence, mainly Tinordi and Diaz. I honestly have to say that Tinordi made Diaz look like Swiss Cheese in his own end.

Diaz played a big part in allowing the first two Buffalo goals. First Diaz made an ugly pass attempt, after being pressured, at the blue line that led to a Buffalo breakaway goal.

Then he failed to break up a devolving passing play at his blue line that ended up in the net seconds later.

I also counted five or six time that Diaz was either knocked off the puck in his end which led to a turnover or simply beaten in a 1 on 1 battle. There was also a couple battles in front of the goalie where Diaz was easily pushed aside and the Buffalo players got extra whacks.

At the same time Tinordi was breaking up plays, being physical, blocking off the front of the net. Tinordi also skated well through the neutral zone and made just as many outlet passes as Diaz.

It’s just one game so anything could happen. I image Bouillon will be scratched when the season start and both Diaz and Tionordi will be in the lineup. But when Emelin returns from injury I’d much rather Tinordi in the lineup than Diaz.

• plouf says:

Agreed that Diaz was pretty brutal for the most part. But in the second half of the game he woke up and started playing hockey. Same for Eller, actually. Eller made some gaffes and giveaways and looked slow early on but picked it up with a solid last 30 minutes.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agreed Hobie. Tinordi looked really good last night; he was confident and was able to slow the play down. His first outlet passes were also tape to tape.

• SlovakHab says:

Come on, more Diaz?
      You seem obsessed…

I get it that you dislike him, and I agree that Tinordi looked much better, but after you have been trashing him in the past few days, you are prone to be biased.

I am not a fan of Desharnais, but that does not mean I will trash him on internet every single day.

Our GM is not blind, if he feels Diaz needs to go, he will replace him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Basically the only opening on the team is one spot on defence. That’s why all the attention is on Diaz and a few other defencemen.

Do i dislike him, sure, but it’s because of his play on the ice, like last night.

I always admit when I’m wrong around here and would have gladly said Diaz played a good game last night if in fact he did.

• SlovakHab says:

We need someone to play on PP. Markov and PK can’t play on both waves, and Gorges, Bouillon, Murray, Tinordi or Drewiske won’t produce.

Diaz is a right-handed shot that has shown a nice chemistry with Markov on PP.
          He won’t clear the crease, but isn’t MAB brutal in his own end either.
          If he plays lesser opposition and favourable zone starts, and good minutes on PP, he should be a decent asset.

• Habspark says:

Excellent points, very well said, Slovak. Daily trashing of the same old players on here is extremely boring. It’s only a matter of time before Tinordi cracks the line-up, so if management feels he ought to start in Hamilton as they get a better feel for the structure/needs of the team going into the season – it really is not the end of the world.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t see it that way. Subban can often stay out there for 90% of the PP. We’ve got Markov. People are making way too much of the 2nd PP business and the right handed shot.

I’d rather have a strong defenseman in the lineup, no matter what hand he shoots, over a shaky, small, right handed shooter just so he can play 2 mins or less on the 2nd pp unit.

54. elico says:

Hey Guys i am new to here but not to site, finally decided to join in on all the convos,
    I was looking closely at Colleberg last night
    do you think he is NHL Material ??

• huge_polar_bear says:

Welcome to the “family” elico. I think Colleberg needs some more seasoning, I don’t think he is currently able to break into the Habs top nine with the players that we already have there. I think it would be a waste to bring him up this year, I would much prefer if he got large amounts of ice time either with the Bulldogs or in Sweden. Now give him 2 years and I say he will have a nice career assuming that he continues to develop.

55. kerrgte says:

Drewiske lost a lot of his opportunity to become a regular d’man in the line-up. Slow always, took a penalty, zero offense, etc. In no way did he impress me. Lashoff didn’t help his case either. Both appeared as journeymen only. Tinordi looked terrific.

Also Diaz looked a little underwhelming too. In past games and paired with a veteran, he has shown smarts and effectiveness offensively.

Yes, lots of small forwards. I think the smart thing to do is get them playing in Hamilton and see who performs well. I’m sure there will be a pleasant surprise or two.

But last night was a look see only.

We’ll see a completely different squad against Boston. Mgt knows a solid performance against Boston is important even in the pre-season.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Bouillon, Murray, Beaulieu should work well in this next pre-season game. Also, we’ll see at least two regular season forward trios.

What a thrill for these young players from Europe to be treated as heroes in Montreal, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Bonne chance a tous, et salut.

56. JO says:

Exhibition – exactly what it is. A good time for the kids to show their stuff and a time when management and coaching staff have some hard decisions to make. Lot of good young talent there. The future is looking better …

57. Bill says:

Bournival indeed had a strong game, but the standouts for me were Tinordi, Pateryn, and McCarron.

• MTL1977 says:

Hey Guys – I have 3 tickets to opening night and unfortunately cant make it. Section 104 – Row BB seat 1 — Row CC seat 9 and Row FF seat 9. Let me know if your interested you don’t have to buy all three just need to try and recoup some loss. email me at robmac44@hotmail.com. I will pay the shipping to get you the tickets

• Cal says:

Liked McCarron’s speed a lot. In a couple of seasons, if he progresses well, he could be knocking the door down for a spot.
      Pateryn did well, excepting one ill-timed pinch that led to a 3 on 1 (the play amounted to nothing anyway). Otherwise, he played a smart, physical game.

• Eddie says:

Bill, Tinordi showed he could play physical NHL hockey last season. He’s ready to play bottom pair minutes and some penalty kill. I was watching Colberg and he showed some real good puck possession skills and I loved the way he moved off the boards a few times and created time and space. I was disappointed he didn’t seem to get much ice but that’s what happens when everyone knows you’re going back to Sweden.

Big Mac can certainly move and I can see why the Habs saw him as a potential top 9 forward. But let’s not forget who Buffalo had out there either, not exactly an NHL lineup.

Same goes for Pateryn. Looked good against non NHL players, so his performance needs to viewed in that light.

Is it ok if I say Girgensons looked like a young version of Jonathan Toews out there. He is going to be a dominant NHL player, and their #1 centre for years to come. Best player on the ice for both teams.

58. Habfan10912 says:

Morning everyone. Love reading folks take on the game. As usual UcE leads the way with a comprehensive analysis. These post fortuntley outweigh some of the alcohol induced violent loving post by some. “Blow out a knee”. Really?

59. Bim says:

Was it just me or were there really a lot of small guys out there last nite? I thought McCarron was by far the best player for Habs. A couple of dandy passes for goals. Not bad! Even Fucale looked pretty good despite letting in all those goals. The defense in front of him was terrible. Davis Drewiske was struggling and looks like he’ll have trouble making Hamilton if this keeps up. Mat Lashoff too. For two big guys more physical presence is definitely needed. Its the first game so let’s see what happens.

60. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It was a good shinny game – Bournival looked good when he really needed to, as did Pateryn, a low key effective d-man. If I’m Drewiske, I’m worried about that one. Ditto for Tinordi.
    The young players are playing to play again, and most of them did well. It was a good game with a few stupid scraps – a bit of an all star game without all stars. It’s fun to see the young guys and wonder what they will become with experience and luck.

61. DipsyDoodler says:

Parros injured? Wasn’t there a healthy goon out there?

62. Cal says:

In 13 little hours, we get to see more Habs that will actually start the season in Montreal. And the hated Gooins.
    Last night was a night of defensive gaffes and Kaleta begging to be killed by Prust or Murray or Parros. That will be an interesting game, that first one in the regular season against Buffalo.

63. petefleet says:

What I saw last night:

St Pierre impressed all round and was a demon in the faceoff circle, until he lost one in his own end which led to the tying goal.
    Pateryn held to his word and upped his game impressively.
    Tinordi was a force out there and had some good chances from the point.
    Gally was gally….just what you’d expect.
    Chucky looked good and made some smart plays that didn’t end up on the score sheet.
    Eller looked like he was trying to prove something and made some unnecssary mistakes.
    Prust didn’t stand out for any particular reason.
    Nygren tried to have a presence at the point, thanks in large part to Diaz serving them up…smart player that Diaz.
    Fucale looked a little nervous but settled in fine. I watched him all last year in HFX and he was a notorious slow starter. Not alot of shutouts in his playbook.
    Drewiskie looked out of place, made bad decisions and didn’t follow the play well….I would expect more from a guy who is most assuredly on the bubble for a job.
    Big Mike McCarron looked a lot better than I expected. He made some really smart plays that ended up in the net. Big guy with good physical presence and he’s only 18!
    Reway was all over the place and did not look intimidated by the 20 much bigger guys on the other side.
    Bournival was impressive. yes he scored two goals but he looked good out there with and without the puck.
    Andrigretto did not impress and with that level of competition he should have.

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

64. Arnou Ruelle says:

I just watched the whole replay on TSN.ca. Honestly, I think Chucky got some scrap with Kaleta is a learning experience. Let’s just say Michel Therrien is now grooming this kid the same way he did with Sidney Crosby.

Sometimes, you’ve got to have some confidence and stand-up to bullies like that. Though I must say, Prust is a big brother to both Gally and Chuck…

• Kooch7800 says:

You don’t want Galchenyuk fighting. he is a highly skilled player and you need him on the ice. That would be a win for Buffalo is they got Galchenyuk off the ice for 5 min and they have Kaletta in the box. Kaletta is a waste of space.

You also won’t want your best player getting injured in a fight. How do you think Leblanc got hurt last year? He got hurt in a useless fight and now it has really set him back

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

65. Habspark says:

Fired into the wrong thread… In reply to Timo’s comment about why no-one is asking the coach what he needs to improve:

It’s the first game of the preseason, not a healthy team on the rocks in January! Maybe it’s time to consider changing that avatar to ‘Borat’?!

66. Un Canadien errant says:

Impressive

Michaël Bournival was fast and buzzed around all game. He threw a few hits, scored a couple of goals.

Michael McCarron played a good game for a nervous rookie, he showed good offensive awareness and hands, tallied two assists, and generally looked good.

Zemgus Girgensons was a sight out there, speeding around the rink and causing havoc. He also picked up two goals. Kid can fly.

Jarred Tinordi was effective and imposing, threw some big bodychecks, and stood up to Sabres goon Cody McCormick when the latter objected to a clean hit he’d laid on a Sabre. Nice going Jarred.

Martin Reway is a waterbug who seems not to understand that he doesn’t belong at an NHL training camp. He’s going to make some usually unerringly astute observers look bad if he keeps this up. He’s constantly around the puck and dangerous in the offensive zone. He evaded an assassination attempt by Steve Ott.

Martin St-Pierre was a revelation, insofar as he will provide offence and veteranship to a Bulldogs roster that sorely needed it last season. He played smart and made his wingers look good.

The Kid Line of Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher looked dominant against training camp opposition, which is what we’d expect. A promising start.

Mikhail Grigorenko (shootout version): What a talent this kid is. Did you see that move? What hands.

Mixed results

Davis Drewiske tried to play physical, cleared out the front of the net with gusto on a couple of occasions, and had to answer the bell against Sabres goon Cody McCormick, which didn’t go well but could have been worse.

Greg Pateryn and Magnus Nygren didn’t stand out but didn’t embarrass themselves either. They both played special teams and did okay.

Raphaël Diaz wasn’t great considering the opposition.

Matt Lashoff has his work cut out for him even to make the Bulldogs roster.

Invisible

Patrick Holland. Sven Andrighetto. Mikhail Grigorenko (game version).

Repulsive

Patrick Kaleta assaulted Alex Galchenyuk, to ‘make him accountable’ for a clean hit he threw on Jamie McBain. The hit actually looked worse than it was, Alex caught the Sabres defender leaning into a tight turn and off-balance and knocked him down pretty easily. Mr. Kaleta grabbed Alex and tried to goad him into a fight, and then just started punching Alex when he refused. Repugnant behaviour. What does Patrick Kaleta have to do to be expelled from the NHL? The only organization that would tolerate such outright amorality and criminality may be the Canadian Senate. And maybe Wall Street. Gary Bettman is busy making outdoor ice in L.A., so he can’t attend to the fact that unskilled thugs are attacking the game’s stars. Gary, you simpleton, I know you don’t know hockey, but what would the NFL do about this? How does it treat its quarterbacks? Think hard now. Is it a good thing that Pavel Datsyuk gets crosschecked in the throat by Dave Bolland, or a bad thing? Do you need a hint?

Let’s say it’s a bad thing. Now, should it cause the perpetrator to garner a mild rebuke, or something more serious? Remember, the stars are the players folks tune in for or buy tickets to see play. Not Patrick Kaleta or Dave Bolland. So what should happen to the replaceable plug who attacks the star who generates the revenue to pay that ludicrously high salary of yours? Should he get a slap on the wrist, or something more serious, as well as a significant consequence to the GM and team that brunged him into the league and gave him a job? I know you think it’s a difficult question, but it really isn’t. Keep thinking. It’ll come to you.

Repulsive/Risible

Steve Ott did the “I’m going to grab this guy’s head and see if it comes off” thing with Martin St-Pierre. Somehow both got penalties. Apparently Mr. St-Pierre was culpable for putting his face in Steve Ott’s dirty stinky gloves. What does Steve Ott have to do to be expelled from the NHL?

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake..–Bill Simmons

• Marc10 says:

Nice summary. Kaleta and Ott did as expected. It’s a shame Prust wasn’t on that line or McCarron for that matter.

Every line in the NHL needs a head kicker… That’s the way Daddy Campbell wants it to keep his son in the show (or at the very least have at least one guy on the ice that will go…)

• Rad says:

You should email the section entitled “Repulsive” to Bettman directly. Since it’s only 2 paragraphs, Gary might be able to focus long enough to digest it.

• Great analysis as always, UCE. The only point I’d differ on was Ott — I thought he showed a cool head by refraining from pounding St. Pierre, and I didn’t blame him for trying to bulldoze Reway with a crushing clean hit. Had it been McCarron unloading that hit on a Sabre, we’d have been cheering. For me, Ott is not a Kaleta kind of player — it says something about Kaleta that the refs found a way to give him two minutes for being brutally cross-checked by Prust before the faceoff. : )

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that Steve Ott could be a decent player, but the way the game is run it allows him to channel his inner Kenny Linseman. The assassination attempt line was a bit of a joke, but with an undertone of “I’d like to see him line up Brandon Prust the same way”. As far as the St. Pierre thing, this new ‘hold a smaller opponent’s head in your dirty gloves and attempt to hold it aloft, as Moses with the stone tablets’ move has to stop. I don’t understand why the refs don’t immediately penalize that move, specifically, as unsportsmanlike conduct or roughing or whatever. It must be stamped out. I don’t see it as restraint, I see it as taunting, instigating.

Last season, there was talk that any contact with an opponent’s head during a post-whistle scrum would be a penalty. Somehow that was never enforced, I never heard about it again. In this brain trauma awareness age we live in, it has to be made clear to the players that holding or striking an opponent’s head in any manner is unacceptable.

• DickandDanny says:

It was pretty obvious as the game went on the Sabres were simply out to intimidate the younger and smaller habs players. If this trend continues in the pre-season I hope to see a lineup stocked with a few more big tough guys, like Tarnasky, Moen, White and not just Prusty out there again all by himself. I give Drewiskie credit for hammering McCormick and then going toe to toe with him. But, I was actually surprised by our lack of physical presence tonight. I thought we were heading more in that direction, but it seemed like the same old small speedy Habs of old. Lets break that mold and move on. I realize this was only the pre-season and some guys needed the chance to showcase what they have and need a chance to play. However, lets be realistic at the same time and not follow what happened to us two pre-seasons ago, when we gave way too many guys a shot and then when the season started we were out of it before it was a month old. Basically because our guys hadn’t enough time to play together. I want to see a much tougher and bigger team each and every night we play. Lets send a message now where this team is heading, bigger and tougher, and yet also fast. Say 2 or 3 smaller younger players at a time in the line-up perhaps. Tonights lineup was basically rediculous.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• petefleet says:

I thought Pateryn did stand out but not in the way Drewiskie did. Is he seriously our 7th or 8th D man? Pateryn would be a more solid choice I think. Pateryn did earn 3 assists as well even though that is not his forte.

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Kooch7800 says:

Pateryn isn’t as offensively challenged as he gets made out to be. He didn’t do bad in the parts of the season he played with the dogs last year. I honestly think he could be an NHL d man as a 6 or 7.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DipsyDoodler says:

“The only organization that would tolerate such outright amorality and criminality …”

the NHL?

• on2ndthought says:

I agree with most of this, but I thought Holland acquitted himself well. He did play quietly, quick touches, but showed good defensive awareness, willingness to compete and decent hands in the O-zone (though nothing really clicked).

“a cannonading drive”

• JF says:

Good summary, but I disagree on Pateryn and Holland. I thought they were both effective.

But I’m not judging any player after one exhibition game. I liked the overall intensity and speed.

I wish the shootout had gone longer. I would have liked to see more of our prospects, like Andrighetto, Collberg, and Nyström, take a shot.

• No.4isNo.1 says:

I think G. Pateryn played a better game than you are giving him credit for, he did have 3 assists.

Better times are ahead

67. JayK-47 says:

Does anyone know what MT meant by that statement?

• Sounds like he meant that he was impressed with the play of several kids who aren’t yet expected to excel at the NHL level. When you play boys against men and they hold their own, that’s impressive.

68. 25insight says:

And just like that hockey is back. Still, I’m hungry for more. Cannot wait to see the regular season lineups!!!

A few things I liked this game:

-McCarron and Tinordi’s passing and physical presence
    -Bournival’s 2 goals, he looked like an NHLer out there.
    -Gallaghers hustle is right where he left off from last year

Overall solid game for our prospects, just focus on your defensive awareness for the next 6 games and we’ll do great

69. 25Stanleycups says:

What are the odds Parros follows in the footsteps of BGL with disappointing representation. Hes coming here around the same age Laraque was also.

Seems like a rerun in the making.

Hope i’m wrong, but hes in his twilight years as an enforcer too.

• Timo says:

I hope that came up when Parros was discussing signing with Habs. I doubt it. I think he will be good, but probably won’t make Habs a “feared” team by any stretch of imagination.

• Bill says:

Depends on what you’re looking for. Laraque did what he always did: fought meaningless fights against other enforcers. This disappointed people who thought he was going to make the entire NHL stop hitting players on the Habs. But no enforcer can do that. Those same people will also be disappointed in Parros, and would be disappointed in every enforcer, because in truth, they only enforce each other, and that is of very limited value.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Drive4twenty5 says:

Basically what Parros will bring to the team is, it will let guys like Prust, White or really anyone who wants to play physical, with back up against the heavy weights. You cant expect Prust to fight the heavy weights day in and day out so that’s why Parros is their. Gives em more confidence. Carbo’s style was not tuffness so Laroque was useless under that team.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

• Un Canadien errant says:

All he needs to do is be in the lineup on some nights to neutralize the other team’s designated puncher. That’s it. He’ll do the job.

I wonder… Therrien has be talking about this player needing to be better here, that player there… has anyone ever asked Therrien what he thinks HE needs to improve? What does he need to change going forward?

71. JayK-47 says:

Firsty McFirst First

72. Bill says:

You really think other teams are scared of them? I don’t think NHL players are as easily intimidated as you believe.

There are no feared teams. Feared players, maybe. You take Chara off of Boston, and they are not that intimidating. Toronto?? Orr and McLaren scare no-one in their four minutes of ice-time per game.

Full Breezer 4 Life

I agree with your Goods and your Bads. However, disagree on the Ugly. Eller’s line wasn’t great, granted but we know what 3 of them can do. Mind you, I don’t think that’s the line that should play together… too much youth and inexperience, imho. All 3 of these guys still need some veteran presence with them. Also, keep in mind that both Gally’s will get more attention after relatively successful rookie campaigns and might not light it right off the bat. They might not light it up this season at all… but as long as they play solid 2 way hockey they should be ok.

The onus is still on Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta, Briere and that overpaid DD to provide scoring.

74. Habsrule1 says:

Your comment on Galchenyuk is way off base. He didn’t back down from a confrontation he wasn’t expecting and should not have even happened. He was caught off-guard.
    Even that said, he’s very young to be saying he won’t make it given this or that. Let the kid play. He’ll get stronger, tougher and more mature as he grows. Not sure if you ever heard of this other guy that rarely “stood up for himself”…..his name is Wayne Gretzky.
    Give it a rest.

75. twilighthours says:

I disagree with a lot of what you write. A lot.

76. jedimyrmidon says:

So much wrong with your ‘Ugly’ section.

Your way of thinking seems to be the same way the goons and marginal NHLers think the game of hockey, which is to say, not at a high level. If Galchenyuk lays out a perfectly fine shoulder check, why should he, the Habs’ best prospect in a couple of decades, have to drop his gloves and answer a goon with his fists?

Oh, and the Habs should NOT have to answer clean hits with a fight. That makes no sense whatsoever. At the very least, it plays into the Sabres’ hands. At the worst, it will draw the Habs into so many fistfights that no one will be playing hockey by season’s end. If an NHL player can’t stand to see another player take a clean hit, they shouldn’t be playing hockey.

77. Eddie says:

Epic’s “ugly” is an epic fail.

78. Habsrule1 says:

It’s not even like he got beat up. Plus, who cares? Not every player is a fighter, or can fight at all. Doesn’t mean they can’t play.
    Not sure what NHL you’ve been watching with those 300 guys who can fight in it.
    Anyway, we’ll agree to disagree on that one.

Congratulations!!!

I can’t wait for that day for myself. Unfortunately it is still very far away.

80. krob1000 says:

Tinordi has a grand total of 9 pro fights…Cody Mccormick…86 pro fights.

81. Habsrule1 says:

More wacky than that comment about Galchenyuk??

LOL I kid because I care :-P

82. Habsrule1 says:

Well he did have skates on.

83. otisfxu says:

now that’s funny,,,I don’t care what anyone says that there is funny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,