Maybe Game 2 will be better

A linesman gets between Bruins' Bergeron and Canucks' Burrows during the first period of Game 1 of the NHL Stanley Cup hockey finals in Vancouver

Photo by Mike Blake/Reuters

Will Dan Hamhuis be able to play?
Will Alexandre Burrows be allowed to play?
Will the refs let the Stanley Cup finalists play?

Cam Cole on the bite

Hamhuis hurts “middle body”

Raffi Torres, unlikely hero

Will Game 1 haunt the B’s?

Gill likes Canadiens

Bruce Arthur on Bettman

McGill star’s unlikely journey

It won’t be cheap to watch hockey in Winipeg

1. crabvader says:

Can we please get rid of Gomez somehow and pick up Brad Richards from free agency? Stars aren’t going to pursue him.

2. Malreg says:

Claude Julien, on the NHL’s decision to not suspend Burrows: “The league has made a decision on it and we’re moving on…. We’re not the type of team that whines and cries about it.”

…say what? lol

3. deggy24 says:

Okay, so let me get this straight, a player, Chara, on a single play (watch the replay), trips with his size 18 skate, interferes (hits man without puck), and boards a man. The man has broken bones in neck and doesn’t play for the rest of the season. NO SUSPENSION.
    Another man, Burrows, in a skirmish, chomps a hockey glove shoved in his mouth, without any injury at all to the guy who shoved his glove in his mouth, and people are crying for a suspension. Where is Dr. Recchi on thi?. Oh wait, Recchie says, “Bergeron may not be able to play next game”

Habs Win!

4. mike.wright12 says:

Too bad Burrows wasn’t playing for the Habs during Ferences salute to the crowd. Or Mike Tyson… He deserved to have his finger bitten too!

5. mike.wright12 says:

Bergeron had no business there anyway. Burrows was sticking up for Sedin, who was getting the post-whistle Bruins crap. Bergeron decided to stick his fingers in the matter and look what happened… I woulda done the same!

Bergeron is the only Bruin I could say I like… but even he’s got his Bruin moments…

6. NLhabsfan says:

Finger biting middle finger… What’s all the fuss. B’s are like children when they complain.

Crosby cleared for off-ice workouts.

8. HotHabs says:

So, Dallas will not be making an offer to Brad Richards, eh?

According to TSN:
    “Richards, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1, will be playing elsewhere next year. The 31-year-old scored 28 goals and 77 points in 72 games last season.”

Wonder if Mtl could pull off a deal for the intelligent and skilled center…

9. habstrinifan says:

I think this ‘biting’ incident is being overblown and is overshadowing a great night for Canucks and Canadians fans. I held my nose and picked the Bruins (once they beat Tampa) cause they have proven to be very resilient this year and this playoffs. But it would be GREAT to have the Stanley CUP in Canada again.

And winning game one, even if it was a dicey win, puts Vancouver in the driver’s seat.

On top of that I have been laughed at for extolling the skills of Max Lappierre and it would be great to see him holding the cup. I wish we could have gotten him to play tis close to his potential here in Montreal… and I still dont think he has reached his potential.

I put him on par with SK74 as skilled, and speedy forwards who did not fare well in Montreal.. from a combination of being misused or underused but also with a huge portion of the blame for their failure to be borne by the player himself and who in the next two years will become excellent and productive forwards in the league.

• doublerr says:

tsn.ca says Kirk Muller is in Dallas interviewing for the Stars head coaching job, not sure if this is old or new news

• Mark C says:

59-2-4-6

That’s Max’s post-Montreal stat line, I know stats aren’t the be all end all, but that’s pathetic production from a 3rd line center. He’s had two years of decline, he was even more productive during his time in Montreal this year than elsewhere. Maybe he turns around his career, but I don’t think it can be argued that he’s been anything more than a 4th liner, or at best a mediocre 3rd liner for the past two years.

So the cynic in me is thinking Mike Murphy is giving Vancouver the benefit on this one, but rest of series look out. Hopefully not.

I think no suspension was right call actually, while I don’t support biting ones finger, one shouldn’t stick their finger where it don’t belong, and I am sick of all the Boston Bullshit on all these scrums.

Anyways, Vancouver will only stronger, Boston may have played one of its best games and didn’t get the win.

Keep er up Canucks.

Mr. Torres is going to be getting lots of offers this summer me thinks also.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with your take. Burrow didnt ‘seek’ out the finger to bite. He just in the heat of the moment reacted to a dirty glove all over his face and in his mouth.

It’s just knee-jerk reaction, cause of the long-standing stigma of any biting in combat, which prompts condemnation of Burrows.

11. Frank2468 says:

This just in, new footage of the finger biting incident. Burrows gets away with biting and Bergeron should know better then to stick his finger in someones mouth. hahahahaha

12. SBAH says:

Boston equipment staff should find another supplier of hockey gloves, 2 glove incidents during the playoffs is unacceptable!

13. hdcase says:

Another gutless call by the NHL. Even in the picture for this article, it’s clear that Burrows is grabbing Bergeron’s hand and biting him. Burrows should be suspended for at least one game.

hdcase

• G-Man says:

too bad, so sad.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Dude, I gotta say, stick your fingers in my mouth under any circumstances and see what happens.

• Bill J says:

Funny, but what I see in that picture is Bergeron pushing his hand into Burrows’ face. So much that Burrows’ head is pushed back. Ultimately, put your finger in my mouth you’re playing with fire.

As for Bergeron claiming Burrows “cut” his finger. I didn’t realize they made hockey gloves so thin anymore. Bergeron should consider another glove manufacturer.

• Everlasting1 says:

It’s not as if it was Gregory’s finger, and not as if daddy knows best anymore.

——————————————————————-
      ” That the Sons of God saw the daughters of man, that they were fair and took them wives all of which they chose.” – Genesis 6:2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Ian Cobb says:

He is lucky, I would have bitten his finger off!

• punkster says:

I wonder…if he had smashed his head in to a stanchion while biting the finger would the finger bite still have warranted a suspension? Would there even be a suspension? Things to ponder on a cool spring evening.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

14. TorontoHabsFan says:

Last night kinda had that feeling like it was one that Boston HAD to win, didn’t it?

We shall see, but I have a feeling like Game 2 might be all Vancouver.

• billylove says:

Agree. Bruins faded in the third. Don’t think they can keep up with Canucks over a long series.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Yeah, it really did look like they lost a step or two as the game wore on. For their sake, I hope that’s rust – cause they should’ve been fully rested after 5 days off.

I think though that Vancouver actually *is* that good.

• Clay says:

Why? Because we’re sheep, incapable of making an informed decision?
      Seriously – it’s voting for the best play, not your favourite goalie.

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• JoeC says:

Yep just like the all star game 2 years ago, we are the best fans and we pull for our team!!

• olegpetrov says:

i agree. i will do anything to help with the confidence of the players on my fav team.

Plus, as much as i think that Eberle’s goal is great, Price’s save is better. The way he was able to grab the puck and immediately make sure it didn’t go over the line in his glove is spectacular.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• Clay says:

Great. I did vote for Price BTW – but I did it because I thought he deserved it, not because he plays on the Habs.

__________________________

• 24moreCups says:

I think Eberle’s goal deserved my vote, it was probably one of the nicest goals I’ve seen in a while, especially for a kids first NHL game.

I voted for Price because I want him to win, but his save was nice bu the goal was nicer imo.

• Or it’s supporting your team, and a great play, or you could be a cantankerous tool about it for no reason.

• Clay says:

Lol, don’t be a dick, Andrew – you’re becoming what you purport to hate. I don’t like the blind cheering crap is all. That’s what Leafs fans do. I prefer to use my own brain. And you must know as well as I do that using the noggin is hard for a lot of people, because you seem to have a decent head on your shoulders.

__________________________

15. scrowe21 says:

So are the Red Wings coming to the East this year or not until next?

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

No, divisions remain the same next season. It’ll take them at least a year to go thru the consultation process with the league’s B. of G. before any realignment happens. So the Jets will be logging major frequent flyer points this year!

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• olegpetrov says:

they can’t this year. The schedule is apparently already set with all the arenas.

Habs fan…Nuff said

16. Ayan_SB says:

You see, Alex Burrows had no idea where he was on the ice….no idea that it was a glove and no idea that it was Patrice Bergeron.

And if Burrows’ teeth weren’t there, there wouldn’t be an injury.

If anything, blame the Bruins’ equipment staff for not providing enough padding on players’ gloves.

It was simply a strong hockey play.

17. Mavid says:

after a particularly crappy day I come on here and read stuff like, “hail the size of canned ham” “mosquitoes that give hellicopers a run for their money” I chuckle and even laugh out loud, and it seems a bit better..I love you guys..

second place is just the first loser

18. HabFanSince72 says:

Burrows cleared according to TSN.

19. olegpetrov says:

Pretty awesome video. Watch the whole thing.

Habs fan…Nuff said

20. eric says:

Bergeron should have asked Ferrence what to do with his finger

21. Bouleau noir says:

Will the refs let the Stanley Cup finalists play ?…ask Boone, the Man himself, to my great surprise.

I cringe inside when I hear commentary like that….. ” let them play ” is such an illogical request, – shure I get it when I hear Don Cherry on National TV shamelessely begging the refs to stay out of the way because his Bruins, unlike any of their opponents, have nothing to gain when playing with the man advantage – but it stop making any sens when coming from others.

What were the refs supposed to do last night ? they did their job and except for maybe one the eleven others were all straighforward calls,…. calling for hi sticking is automatic (3) so it is when there is blood (1) then what ? tripping, hooking, holding all have to get called (4) otherwise its not hockey, same for holding the stick (1), kneeing and cross checking (2) can do dammage and need to get called……. roughing are more jugement call type but only two were calls last night so its not like the refs were being all over the game and being stupid….. fact is this being the final the two best NHL referes were on the ice last night.

The flow of the game was impaired but it wasn’t the referes fault… it was the players fault, its a 7 games series and players will get better now that he first game is behing them.

• Tony McLean says:

Amen. Back when the Canadiens had a great team they would draw penalties, score power play goals AND punish the offenders physically. A foul is a foul is a foul. You don’t stop calling penalties because it’s the playoffs. Do umpires stop calling strikes because it’s the world series? Bullshi*.

“Rebuilding since 1979.”

Well put.

• olegpetrov says:

the frustration stems from the incredible inconsistency shown throughout the playoffs. The refs have continuously let things go in one game then call it the next. The viewers, like the players, just don’t know what to think when it comes to the inconsistency in the reffing. At least that is my frustration.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• J_P says:

agreed.

Look at game 7 between boston and tampa bay. ZERO CALLS. You think there was no penalties? There definitely were plays that were worthy of a call, but apparently having no calls benefits boston, so the refs put away their whistles.

Its the inconsistency that drives me nutz.

• habs-hampton says:

Well put. Its the players that create penalties, not the refs. That said, I hated the call on Burrows “interferring” with Thomas.

22. TorontoHabsFan says:

I’ve never understood the venom directed at a player who bites the thickly gloved hand of a player who is scratching said glove in his face.

It’s not like facewashing is some noble deed that shouldn’t be interrupted. I mean I get it, the manly thing to do is to punch him in the face – but if you can’t get your arm free (because the ref/linesman is holding you back), then why not stoop to the level of the facewasher and be equally as jerky?

I don’t get why one action is reviled while an equally dckish action is basically shrugged off.

It was my understanding that Bergeron is now a practising dentist and was looking for cavities. Apparantly he and Recchi share a medical practise in Boston during the offseason.

Bergeron forgot to give Burrows the novocane before he stuck his finger in there.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

After Bergeron whined that “he bit me”, I was kinda hoping that Elliotte would go up in the luxury box and ask Marc Savard what he thought about the bite.

• Alexandra says:

Right – the manly thing to do is punch. The effeminate thing to do is bite.

23. FB says:

Anyone want Richards on the HABS. He’s going to be rich.

Star will not make contract offer according to TSN

minus 1 particular contract we could afford him!

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s gonna suck if New York or Toronto gets this guy and we can’t because the massive salary cap anchor that is Gomez and Spacek.

I think i almost prefer New York get him, they have a history of turning big contract players into average players.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

I think Dale Tallon is gonna offer him a crapload of cash to sign with the Panthers. But Richards probably wants to go to a contender.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Tallon isn’t allowed to offer anyone any money. That’s why he’s trading (or trying to trade) every player signed beyond next season and letting Vokoun walk.

Florida isn’t “rebuilding the right way”, they’re dumping any and all contracts ’cause they can’t afford them.

The only reason it isn’t news is that Phoenix and Atlanta have been taking up all the oxygen.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

LOL..? ok, if you say so. They havent let “everybody” go. He’s kept his core group of Booth and Weiss and a few others. Some of you folks really need to stop talking nonsense about teams you know squat about.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Actually he tried to unload both Booth and Weiss at the trade deadline. Go back and read some of the literature from the deadline day – they were two of the biggest names “in play”.

The only player he hasn’t tried to move is Olesz – ’cause his contract is immoveable.

Everything you need to know about Florida’s financial situation can be found in the fact that they traded a soon to be RFA (Frolik) for a much much cheaper, and less talented one (Skille)…all because Frolik was in line to earn Grabovski-like money.

Take a look at their roster situation moving forward:

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

It’s called re-building. He got rid of the players he didn’t want and stocked up on draft picks. He now has the cap space to go out and sign free agents and make trades. If the Panthers ownership is in such dire straits and planning on moving the team as you say, WHY THE HELL DID THEY BRING IN A GUY LIKE TALLON TO BE GM and REBUILD????? It is clear as day the franchise is in rebuild mode.

And I really have to laugh at all the stupid crap that gets written about the Panthers by folks in Canada. Stuff like “they have bad attendance, they will be the next team to move”. Take a look at the attendance numbers, I guess all the teams who had worse attendance than the Panthers will be moving as well by that logic right? I also have to laugh at the “their attendance is boosted by tourists and fans of other teams” comment. Florida is a huge TOURIST STATE. There is also lots of Northerners (Canadians and Americans) who live here that like hockey.

Does it make you people mad that disney world is kept afloat by tourists? Do you also get angry at Las Vegas for being held afloat by tourism? Of course there are fans of other teams here in Florida, it’s a given. It doesn’t matter to the owners as long as they buy tickets and buy concessions. I perfectly understand that joe sixpack in Canada hates and resents the fact that Florida has NHL teams, but the utter nonsense that some folk write is just laughable.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

1) It’s not rebuilding. If it was, they would have kept Frolik, Horton, Wideman, and a host of other young, affordable, talented, and controllable assets. They also wouldn’t have tried to trade Weiss and Booth at the deadline. It is not a coincidence that they have only 3 players signed beyond next season.

2) I’m not sure if you’re aware of this, but Tallon’s reputation wasn’t exactly the greatest after the RFA debacle a few years back. It’s not like he had his pick of teams clamouring to hire him.

3) I have no idea what Florida’s status as a tourist destination has to do with anything.

4) I’m not sure why you’re so strident about this – it’s pretty clear what’s going on in Florida. Do you own shares in them or something? :)

Tell ya what – if you’re right and Florida starts signing big free agents to long term contracts…I’ll buy you a Coke!

• GrimJim says:

Forbes lists Florida as having the 5th worst revenue in the NHL ($76 mil US) and the 2nd worse “earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization” at -9.6 mil US$ in their 2010 rankings. Maybe that is why people keep saying Florida is in trouble.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Once again, by that logic, there are a least 5 other teams that will be moved before them. Show me a current link that say’s the current Panthers ownership is in trouble and looking to sell. And not some article written by some Canadian hack writer SPECULATING. I mean an article where the current ownership is saying they are in trouble and are thinking about moving the team.

• christophor says:

and average players into big contract players.

• 24 Cups says:

The time to sign Richards to a long-term contract has passed. He’s too old now (31) to be committing huge coin, long term.

24. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

How ironic that I can read the links for all other articles except for the ones published by this site’s owner, the Gazette. Ridic.

25. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Aparently there will be no suspension for Burrows, the NHL said that, had he clamped down his teeth at any other point in the game, there probably wouldn’t have been any fingers in his mouth, therefore, just another hockey play at the wrong place on the ice.

Comments not showing.

27. SBAH says:

Rumor has it that Alex Burrows likes finger food!

28. habs03 says:

So Roman Polak gets 5 year 2.75M Per deal, I’m guessing Gorges gets 3M per…

29. habs03 says:

Ok with Roman Polak signing for 5 years/ 2.75M per, I guess Gorges get 5 years 3M per..

30. Here is an absolutely incredible thrown in, in a American Junior soccer league. Unfortunately we are yet to see this is hockey. Check it out.

Habsnation is still standing.

So no suspension for Burrows, poor Julien, hard done by all season by other teams classless acts.

32. EricInStL says:

From ESPN, no suspension for Burrows, joke league.

Ok Habs, now you know what to do, titanium teeth for everyone!!!

33. habaddict_andy says:

“Great to have the big man back in MTL, now all he has to do is babysit P.K. Subban! Heads up. P.K.” wrote captain Brian Gionta.

Gionta wrote on his twitter. That is awesome!

Go! Hockey! Go!

34. ZepFan2 says:

testing

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

35. ZepFan2 says:

test

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Head-shots League.

36. HabsFan2 says:

Test

———————————————-
    R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

37. HABrGreat says:

So somebody acts like a sissy and bites another person. Said is player is from Montreal. Not surprising. Diving and biting. It’s all part of hockey in Montreal.

I posted a comment and it has not appeared. The is the link.

I copied the comment by backspacing and tried to repost it but it says, “Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!”

FREAK!

The workaround is to just add stuff. Here’s the original black holed post:

I watched the Bettman interview with Peter Mansbridge last night after the game. The first thing I’d like to note is how refreshing it is to see a professional and highly respected journalist give an interview as opposed to Ron Maclean.

My perspective about the Winnipeg move is that it is extortion to a certain extent. Bettman spoke of the new owners playing ball and being patient. Now the Winnipeg citizens and local hockey fans there are asked to commit to 13,000 seats for 4 years, up front.

It’s a little heavy handed but it’s no wonder why the failing American markets can not be held to such a standard. Teams with financial difficulties who are not latching into their markets have more than likely bought themselves more time as another Canadian team contributes to the revenue sharing pot, allowing NHL hockey arenas with empty seats in the USA to be held on life support for a little while longer.

Meanwhile Phoenix is holding its ground as the last out post before Las Vegas.

39. sidhu says:

One of the more enjoyable parts of last night’s game was seeing Marchand whine and whine to the refs after the whistle, then get called for a penalty on the very next play.

Meanwhile Phoenix is holding its ground as the last out post before Las Vegas.

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone else find that Erhoff is ridiculously underrated? Bieksa gets a lot of credit and deservedly so — but every time I watch Erhoff I am more and more impressed with his steady play. Great puck mover, good shot, fluid skater, great in his own end, can play tons of minutes. And he makes 3 mill or something.

If I were Van I’d be looking to lock him up long term

42. HabsFanInTampa says:

One game down, three to go. C’mon Canucks get rid of these classless Bruins and their short, fat, bald and whining coach.

43. punkster says:

It’s a shame I can’t read the Gazette articles. They’re usually pretty good.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

44. Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if the Bruins media and fans will be talking about their diving of Tim Thomas last night? That was pathetic. They can’t call goalie intereference when he is out of the blue.

I just find it funny that Timmy was the biggest complainer about diving and then he does it in the cup final.

45. soperman says:

Bettman’s not a villian – funny stuff!

• TomNickle says:

He’s making more money than 20 owners collectively on an annual basis. Perhaps there’s justification for some owners(Atlanta, Phoenix) to be upset with him.

• RGM says:

Given that the NHL is the present owner of Phoenix, I’m sure that Bettman’s OK in their books.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• TomNickle says:

I should have specified the past tense in Phoenix’s case.

• RGM says:

While there are probably a couple of malcontents on the Board of Governors, the Count is making many of them even richer rich guys. Until he stops bringing in the dollars and TV deals and taking all the heat for them, he ain’t going anywhere. I’d still love to see someone give him the Clarence Campbell special, though.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• TomNickle says:

Don’t be so sure about their collective content with him. Keep in mind that under the CBA that he negotiated they have to dish out money to teams in markets that are failing. Those men didn’t get that wealthy by being charitable. I have a feeling that Donald Fehr will turn more than a few owners against Mr. Bettman.

• BsFanforLife says:

Revenue sharing happens in other sports. Its not the most popular but it isnt exactly ground breaking either. And I doubt the alternatives would have been looked highly upon by both the owners OR the players NHLPA.

• mrhabby says:

you have a hate on for bettman.. a serious hate on it appears.

• TomNickle says:

He makes almost $10 million annually. He’s moved teams into areas where they can’t succeed. He thumbed his nose at ESPN coming out of the lockout and rejected a more than generous offer considering the circumstances for broadcasting rights and has just done so again with Fox Sports. He got a good deal with NBC if short term money is the goal. If it’s long term, NBC doesn’t offer the volume of exposure needed to grow the game. Fox Sports would have. He’s only interested in lining his pockets and has no interest whatsoever in the future of the NHL or the game of hockey beyond his tenure. I don’t hate him. I don’t know him. I don’t approve of the job he’s doing as Commissioner of the NHL and I’m definitely not alone with that opinion. Mainly for the reasons I’ve mentioned.

• mrhabby says:

he has the support of the owners or at least the majority of them. you know what ..it aint my money so i don’t take it all so seriously.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Fox Sports, you want the glowing puck back?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• G-Man says:

Fox had their shot. I never want to see blue and red streaks instead of the puck again.

• TomNickle says:

Robert….if it grows the game and makes hockey more popular in weak markets…..yes.

• TomNickle says:

Robert, if it means the game will grow in weak US markets, then I’m in favour of it.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Mr Habby – I think everyone here has a hate on for Bettman, you’re the first person I’ve seen come to his defence in anyway…

I hate Bettman, have for a long time, and this year only made it way worse.

Maybe I’d be better off if I didn’t care as much, like you suggest!

The summer that never was continues here in southern Ontario. It’s June 2nd and we have a temperature of 13 degrees that is made worse by winds that are straight from hell. Speaking of Hades, many on this website would blame the Bruins for our inclement weather, although I feel the condemnation should fall on Stephen Harper.

Quebec bikers, Mexican drug lords and the Taliban all know how to deal with problem situations. I’m not calling for such harsh measures, but it might be time for a weatherman to be publicly flogged if things don’t turn around soon.

Of course, it could be worse. I could be living in Winnipeg where mosquitoes give helicopters a run for their money. Word on the street is that the new team name will be the Winnipeg Flyswatters.

• shiram says:

Although bikes are not my main means of transportation, I feel annoyed at being thrown in a group of drug dealers and Talibans.

And summer is taking a weird course here as well, yesterday it was near 30 celsius.. and today we’ll barely crack 20 celsius.

• kempie says:

I was in Calgary last summer and it was like this every day all freaking year. Never made it above 24 degrees and that was just once. The guys at work asked if it was hot enough for me. I wore a parka in August. Hail the size of canned hams and pretty much every day the norm was about 10 degrees. I’ll take this southern Ontario weather with a smile.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I moved back to Ontario for that reason, from Calgary. I’m in Ottawa now.

The two summers I spent in Calgary were low 20s if you were lucky and there’s frost at night.

The winters start Nov 1st and you get snow until mid-May. Don’t listen to the people who tell you about those Chinooks…it’s all a big lie. Calgary is freeeezing!!!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I spent two years in Calgary from 2007-2009.

There was snow on the ground from October to mid-May. In the winter is was either snowing or anywhere from -20c to -35c.

In the summer it was low 20s if you were lucky and you had to wear a jacket at night because the temperature would dip below 10c.

They don’t plow the roads either.

I never experienced a chinook the entire time either.

Besides that its a great place to live

• Trisomy 21 says:

If you honestly were here for 2 winters and didn’t experience a chinook, you either hibernated or don’t know what a chinook is. We get i’d guess 10 per winter and it brings the temperature to weather which allows you to pull off a fall jacket outdoors. The rest of the post is pretty accurate though.
          kempie – last summer sucked, it was a 1 off though, it’s felt like we just had 2 winters back to back. Brutal

• 24 Cups says:

Rick – The hell with me complaining about the weather, I just discovered that Celine Dion does a cover of “You Shook Me All Night Long” as part of her new Vegas show. That’s scarier than the guy who sings the national anthem for the Bruins.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I hate the Bruins but Rene is an amazing anthem singer. He is so bad he’s actually good! Cheesy Vegas style!

• SeriousFan09 says:

Oh God… NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
          SF09 on Twitter

• kempie says:

Then I think that ACDC should cover Where Does My Heart Beat Now just to p her off. As for that Boston anthem guy, he makes me laugh. Probably the worst guy in the league with the world’s deepest 60Hz vibrato. I like the Vancouver guy. I loved how they saved him for O Canada last night after they shoved out some stiff they got for $50 to sing the US anthem nice & sharp.

It is great to read the lighthearted dialogue today, a break from our usual “we have to sign Markov”, “We have to get bigger” offseason diatribes.

• SeriousFan09 says:

I work outdoors, I’m loving this weather.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

47. mrhabby says:

a weird game last night. no flow given the constant parade to the penalty box. why can’t these refs just let the players play. the last game between the bolts and bruins was great..no penalties and we were all treated to a great ending.
    I liked Vancouvers game..attack and attack often. if not for tiny tim thomas the game may have been over early. the nucks had so many chances in the 1st.
    Bruins played okay but the PP was pitiful and will not win the series if it keeps up.
    Love the hitting and intensity..nucks can dish it out with the best of them blasting the bruins all over the ice.

ps..can the nucks find better anthem singers…just hideous.

48. habfan01 says:

It wasn’t a bite- it was a jaw malfunction, therefore he can’t be suspended.

49. habitual says:

So Bruce Arthur writes an article to defend Bettman, and ends up having to state that which is obvious to anyone who has seen frozen water: Atlanta is the first in a series of franchises that have to relocate because they are in a market where too few give a rat’s ass about hockey.

What other major league sport has so many franchises on life support?

Now that Campbell has been kicked aside, is it too much to hope the owners come to their senses and gas that obnoxious lawn gnome of a commissioner they have?

Probably. We’ll have to settle for a Canucks’ win.

• TomNickle says:

This relocation is very much related to Phoenix. Gary Bettman and the Board of Governors couldn’t trust Atlanta ownership and were afraid that another court fight was looming. They had no more interest in going back to Winnipeg than they’ve had in putting a team in Anchorage. This is all about getting an owner who will drink the kool-aid and keep his mouth shut. They couldn’t care less where the hockey is played as long as each team’s members avoid questioning them.

Bang on Tom, Gary had to find an owner that would work with him. He couldn’t risk a Balsillie getting involved in negotiations with Atlanta. So he has another year to find a way to convince Reinsdorf to accept an NHL team for free in Phoenix. Now he has to also keep close eyes on NYI, Columbus and Florida ownership, and make sure they don’t now find a Canadian Sweetheart who will buy their team and move them. Gary cannot afford to have a franchise challenge them in court over moving a franchise into the Southern Ontario Market, that is a court battle they will lose.

• TomNickle says:

I disagree on the court battle for Southern Ontario issue. With the Sabres and Leafs in that market there is no way a judge would rule that a team could be moved there without a serious relocation fee paid to the teams. The Sabres would be crushed by a Southern Ontario team. Quebec City and perhaps another Southern California team are next.

Tom, Southern Ontario is the single largest “Purebred” hockey market in the world. Given New York has 3 teams, Southern California et al has 3 teams, Southern Ontario has 1 team. Sabres count for something, but they have deep pocket owner now. Of course the Leafs and Sabres don’t want competition, but there is no reason a 2nd Toronto team shouldn’t be allowed, and it is widely believed that if that was challenged in court the NHL has no legal territory rights as they claim. I do think Bettman will use Quebec as his choice to put his next bankrupt/sold team though. As I said, he will do anything he can to avoid a Ballsillie type guy trying to move a team to his chosen location.

• issie74 says:

The 60 million owners are charged as a relocation fee,dosen’t hurt the NHL bank account either.

• mrhabby says:

don’t kid your self….the NFL has a few teams that have cash flow problems and i bet a few NBA/ MLB teams…last time i looked there is a labour dispute in the NFL and a fight is looming in the NBA.

• TomNickle says:

Jacksonville is the only team in the NFL struggling. They’re currently trying to figure out how to distribute $10 billion. Not a big problem.

• mrhabby says:

San Diego,Tampa Bay, Oakland, Detroit to the list.
          these teams use to sell out now they don’t…the recession has not helped.

• TomNickle says:

NFL teams don’t need to sell out to be successful. The owners operate under revenue sharing and split a $5 billion dollar pie. NFL teams aren’t even close to being in the dire situation that it appears you’ve made them out to be.

• mrhabby says:

i never said the teams are in dire strait..i said they don’ t sell out.

• TomNickle says:

You said they have cash flow problems. I’m sorry but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s a fact that no NFL team loses money. Not one. And unlike the NHL, in the event that a team begins to lose money, there are hundreds of owners lined up to take over a team. As for attendance, you left the Bengals, Bills, Vikings, 49ers and Titans off of the list of teams who don’t sell out.

Selling out your building isn’t nearly as important in the NFL as it is in other leagues. The revenue stream in the NFL comes from merchandise. Which is exactly why the players are fighting for a bigger share of that specific pie in the labour fight.

• mrhabby says:

are you privy to financial statements of these teams..no and iam not either. i have been to quite a few games down south. your right the pie is so much large to divide up. i just don’t think its all rose pedals in some of these cities. buffalo etc,etc…its not as gate driven as the NHL.

50. Ferg says:

Ah…, that game did my heart good.
    Seeing Lucic land on his head, and then seeing Max flip Chara onto his back like a big turtle.
    There is a God.

• Kooch7800 says:

I loved watching Ference get absolutely run over again and again. Vancouver was rusty last night. They will destroy Boston with their speed and physicality. I missed the first period and a half and apparently the bruins were better in that part of the game. To me the canucks dominated the second half. I think they had too long of a layover and Saturday will be a much different game.

51. SBAH says:

Bergeron isn’t a dentist and his fingers don’t belong in the mouth of another player. Had he not put his finger in Burrows mouth it would not have been bitten.

If Burrows is fined/suspended, Bergeron should be also, putting your finger(s) in another hockey players mouth is CLASSLESS!

• shiram says:

The hockey players use mouth guard rights? Wouldn’t that be in the way of biting? If Burrows removed his mouth guard.. bah who knows…

• BsFanforLife says:

So if PK facewashed Marchand and his finger entered Brads mouth then Subban deserves to have his finger bitten. Correct?

• HabsoluteFan says:

So if Gill broke Bergeron’s neck, it’s still a hockey play. Correct ?

• BsFanforLife says:

If he was rubbing him out by all means.

• shiram says:

I don’t understand the logics of breaking a neck being a hockey play, if you put it in a special circumstance.
            No hockey play should ever result in a broken neck.

But I’m not the one making the rules….

• BsFanforLife says:

Look, Ive said before on this very website that I am very sorry to see what happened to Paccioretty and I hope he comes back 100%. Hes a hell of a player and while Subban drives me nuts with some of his antics I think he will be a hell of a player for you guys for a long time too. That being said I am of the mind that you really CANT base a suspension on the result of a play. If its painfully obvious that something is intentionally done then yes, I would have said that he deserved a suspension. Krejci’s cross check to Hamhuis after a legal hip check was dumb and he deserved the penalty. I believe in suspending the intent not the result. But thats me

• shiram says:

That’s a valid argument, but the nhl has tons of rule that put no emphasis on intent, because it only creates grey zones. Take for instance high sticking, I am sure most players don’t intend for their sticks to hit some other players face, but it happens, and it’s always a penalty, intent or not.
            Why would that not apply to a severe injury?

• BsFanforLife says:

Shiram – I agree. Most players dont intend to hurt players with their sticks. It happens. But by the rules you are assessed a high sticking penalty. Now lets take this one step further. Lets say Sedin’s high stick on Chara last night resulted in an orbital fracture on Chara. It wasnt his intent to cause that but it happened. Should he be suspended for that?

• shiram says:

I’d say yes, a suspension.
            But I believe protecting the players is more important overall.

• RGM says:

Regarding the idea about intent, not result, the former chief boob of discipline had this to say in March 2010:

“”And so I think he has to be responsible in how he takes a [Brian] Campbell in, and what kind of position the other player’s in. And he had moved the puck already, Campbell. Look, if there’s no injury on the play, we probably, we don’t do anything, but that’s part of the supplemental discipline process. If you cause a player to be injured, then you have to be responsible for the play that you’re involved in, if there’s any carelessness or recklessness in it.”

This is what rankles so many Canadiens fans about the Chara-Pacioretty play. The League set forth a suspension on a player because of a reckless play that resulted in injury to another player, but when it came time to evaluate Chara’s actions, somehow that precedent was omitted. It wasn’t a legal hit, the puck was long gone, and Pacioretty was in a vulnerable position. I really do think that even if the League handed down a token 1-2 game suspension, it would have mollified a great deal of the anger that Habs fans have for Campbell’s regime.

During the long summer, we all get to be pretend GM.

• TomNickle says:

The Pacioretty hit doesn’t even bother me anymore. Milan Lucic cross-checking Dominic Moore in the face while he’s engaged with Nathan Horton and escaping discipline is the most disgusting neglect of supplementary discipline I’ve ever seen. Worse than what Scott Niedermeyer’s axe work a few years back.

• BsFanforLife says:

Shiram – I can understand where you are coming from but then the case for fighting being removed from the game has to be brought up.

RGM – I can understand your frustration. I really do. Boston was snakebitten by the same thing with Cookes hit on Savard. I am just as happy about Campbell stepping down as disciplinarian and I hope that Shanahan is smart enough to realize that the discipline process should be by committee and takes the appropriate steps to make that happen. And I assure you that if they make it precident that injury plays into a suspension and not the intent, while I may not agree with that and its going to create even larger issues down the road, that I will stand up and call for suspensions for it, even if its against my B’s

• issie74 says:

I agree with you Shiram pucks shot out of play are two minutes delay of game.I am sure 95% are not done on purpose. Stop talking about grey area’s.

• shiram says:

Glad you say that BsFanforLife, as I would have fighting removed from the game.
            I know that’s not a popular opinion, and I won’t make any waves about that, the league clearly wants to keep fighting, but I’d rather see players stay healthy and perform great hockey feats, than have them try to pummel each other.
            Also enforcers and goons really do no bring anything very interesting to the game, and with fighting removed there would be more space for skills players.

• BsFanforLife says:

TomNickle – Hopefully with Shanahan taking over there will be some more regularity to the process and we can all argue over something else other than the hypocracy of the league. (I do remember seeing that hit Looch put on and while I am all for sticking up for a teammate I will give you that one as being welll overboard.)

Shiram – I agree with you only to the point that the days of small guys messing with small guys lead to enforcers fighting enforcers is archaic. But I do believe that fighting still does have a place in the league if its a case of protecting a teammate against someone (i.e. if someone on the ice went after Chara on that hit as a protection issue or protecting your goaltender) I do enjoy a well disciplined game where its up and down, speed, great passing etc…. Doesnt have to be firewagon hockey with 8-7 scores but I think when hockey is played like that you could make an argument for hockey being more “beautiful” than soccer.

• BsFanforLife says:

TomNickle – Hopefully with Shanahan in charge there will be some consistancy in discipline (And I remember what hit youre talking about in regards to Looch and, while I am all for sticking up for a teammate I will concede the point to you about him going overboard in regards to Moore)

Shiram – I agree only to the point that the days of sending out enforcers to fight enforcers over something that happened between others is archaic. But I do believe that certain instances like protecting teammates from someone AT THAT TIME (i.e. protecting your netminder or someone who is on the ice at the time of a bad boarding going after the guy who did the boarding) should be viewed as policing the game and still allowed. I think on fighting you and I are going to come to an impasse but I respect your view on it.

In all seriousness B’s for life and purgatory, why do spend your time on a fans webpage that isn’t involved in the series you are playing. Or do you spend as much time on the Canucks web boards, we know there isn’t a Bruins webpage, Al Gore never gave the instructions to the internet to the people of Boston.

• BsFanforLife says:

I like to pop in every now and then to see what ya’ll are up to

Every once in awhile? You’ve been here for 3weeks straight!

Anyways hopefully there is justice in this world and Alex Burrows is suspended for the entire series, how dare some french canadian hockeyplayer resort to a Bruin like technique after the Bruin proctologist forgets which hole he is supposed to put his fingers in.

• BsFanforLife says:

Funny, I havent seen a Bruin bite anyone. Pretty sure I learned not to do that in preschool

• HabsoluteFan says:

Funny I saw some Bruins give the finger then blame it on equipement malfunction and break someone’s neck and pretend you didnt know where you were and who you did it to.
            Pretty sure I learned not to do that in preschool

• BsFanforLife says:

And I have also stated that was bush league of Ference to do that. I agree with you that he had no right to do that. But can you honsetly make the argument that flipping someone off and biting someone and drawing blood are the same level of bullsh@t??

• HabsFan2 says:

@BsFanforLife

“Funny, I havent seen a Bruin bite anyone.”

Didn’t Marc Savard “allegedly” bite Dan Carcillo?

———————————————-
            R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• Alexandra says:

Wrong site, my friend. Habs fans appreciate diving and biting in hockey as can any Canadian team. Uncomfortably effeminate qualities in both.

• HABrGreat says:

The biter (Burrows) is from Montreal. Not surprising.

• saskhabfan says:

Marchand would have dove long before that so it would never happen. Besides,players are alot smarter then to intentionally shove their fingers in other players mouths……well most are anyway. When was the last time lucic punched somebody who actually saw him coming?

• nek25plus says:

Correct!

52. 123456 says:

Give them both a game suspension. One for biting and the other for sticking his dirty sanchez finger into a guys mouth.

53. J_P says:

-I dunno, if bergeron was jamming his gloved finger down my throat id probably bite it also.

-Claude Julien is quite the comedian. That bit about a player on the other team doing something classless…priceless! I dont remember him being so funny when he coached the habs. It’s not like his entire organization from top to bottom is classless or anything…

-8 cross-checks from seidenberg on Daniel Sedin and no penalty? I guess Colin Campbell stepping down hasn’t changed much.

-I appreciate the effort hamhuis, but Lucic is a bit of a porker. I guess no one ever told him to lift with the legs, because just watching that hit hurt my back.

54. derfab says:

Where’s the pic of Lucic getting launched? The Jets should keep their identity but shift the logo and play up a connection to the Avro Arrow.

55. Captain aHab says:

About Winnipeg, could anybody else see the following scenario?:

They play a couple of seasons there and then the owners tell the city that they need a bigger publicly-funded arena or they’ll bolt. And lo and behold, Quebec is looking for a franchise. And Thomson might enjoy sticking it to Péladeau.

It would not surprise me one bit.

Thoughts?

• G-Man says:

Winnipeg is going to be fine. The MTS Centre can probably be expanded.
      Why are posters here so negative about whether or not Winnipeg can keep the team? Ridiculous.

• Captain aHab says:

Not saying they would definitely move but saying that as the smallest arena in the NHL (I think), I think the owners will soon put the pressure on to make it bigger and they’ll have a tangible threat. It’ll be interesting also to see what free agents will do when Winnipeg goes after them.

I don’t think the Jets will be moving, that city/province will support them well for awhile. However, because Thomson played nice with Gary he is in for a big favour. I think you will see him sell his interests to Chipman or whomever and get another franchise. I think it will be either in Quebec or in Southern Ontario.

Eventually Phoenix, Columbus or Florida will be moved, just a matter of time.

• Captain aHab says:

Hadn’t thought of that but you could be right.

I missed the presser when they announced the move but the RDS guys said Bettman looked like he was at a wake. They commented that the only thing missing would be him starting with:”It’s with great sadness that we are here to confirm the move of Atlanta to Winnipeg.”

• TomNickle says:

Columbus is the least likely. That city is a good hockey market, they just need a good team. Atlanta is a baseball, basketball and football town. Not to mention the college presence in the area. Hockey was never a bright idea in that city. And that includes the first tour of duty.

• J_P says:

Seriously. You have to figure that if they pack that arena every single night, even at only 15000, they are already way more profitable than Atlanta would have ever been. Heck, a 15000 sell-out every night probably makes them more profitable than the devils.

To me, the only reason they would need to expand that arena is if the demand grows to the point that they are losing a fortune by not expanding.

• TomNickle says:

The first couple of years will be huge for profit margins. Turning people away that are willing to pay good money isn’t good for a team that just paid to purchase the team and will be paying a hefty relocation fee. Ideally they could add a couple of thousand seats.

• J_P says:

All the more reason not to invest big money on expanding the arena at this stage.

• TomNickle says:

The MTS centre does need to be expanded for seating but when you compare what they’ll be charging in Winnipeg for their 15k in seats to what Atlanta was charging their 13k attendees(on a good night), it’s like apples and oranges. Corporate sponsorship dollars will be coming in larger figures with better commitments.

I’m not sold that Winnipeg will work. But an owner with money longer than train smoke is a good start.

• mrhabby says:

never going to happen..chipman/thomson/bettman would be hunted down and strung up.

• Captain aHab says:

Bettman has already pretty much said that they would have to sell out MTS every game for it to work. He’s set the bar high. No doubt they’ll get sell outs early on but if they suck a bit, sellouts may be harder to come by later in the season. Maybe not….who knows?

• Sharks9 says:

Phoenix will move before the Jets do for sure. Not to mention other southern teams like Columbus and Florida.

25 before 14

56. Marc10 says:

Biting fingers is plain dumb. He should get suspended.

That said, well done to the Nucks. 3 to go.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

57. G-Man says:

1-0. 3 to go. Bruck the Fuins. Party on Vancouver.
    I turned up the volume on my tv and heard Bergeron yelling at Burrows. “Bite Me!”

So Mr. Campbell has recused himself just in time for the league to reset the rules for everyone in the NHL. I am sure “Fingergate” will be the leagues first chance to show they have no BIAS and suspend Burrows…

Listening to Claude Julien call that Classless after what his players have done throughout the season WOW. Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet Pot.

Please Vancouver win 4 straight.

Thomas played a great game and the Nucks still found way to win, now we just need him to have an average game.

• Captain aHab says:

I wonder if they’ll retroactively suspend Horton for the water bottle incident?

• J_P says:

Horton already got fined for the water bottle incident….a whole $2500…

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I find throwing a water bottle at a paying customer way more sever than biting the finger of an opposing player who’s jamming his finger down your throat.

• 24 Cups says:

I’m not sure that Shanahan is the right guy to replace Campbell. He’s not that far removed from the game and may find it difficult to rule with an iron fist (which is what the league needs right now).

It will be the same but different, there will still be back room, hey i know this guy he never meant to hurt him, lets do 2 games instead of 6.

Lets just hope it is a little better. How many years till Shanny’s kid is playing in the NHL?

• Malreg says:

Murphy is still handling the discipline until this season is over.

59. CanadienBoy says:

Burrows the next Lemieux you bet ,the type of grit players we dearly missing

60. kakey says:

Games played in Bell Centre don’t seem to have idiotic fans annoyingly banging on the plexiglass constantly, just saying.

61. Sharks9 says:

Broken neck: Nothing
    Cut on your little finger: Suspension?
    NHL Discipline: Biggest joke in all of sports
    25 before 14

62. Haligonian-Hab says:

The east coast had a lightning storm that was far more entertaining than last night’s game.

63. Mike D says:

In the “Gill likes Canadiens” article linked above, Pat Hickey reports that Kyle Klubertanz will be returning to his former team in the Swedish league after spending one year with the Bulldogs. Does this mean we’ve lost him and/or his rights?? Or did he just feel like playing over there this year?

Anyone know what the deal is?

- Honestly yours

• Sharks9 says:

I’m pretty sure we’ve lost him. Hopefully the Habs are looking at some undrafted guys to try and fill out the Bulldogs roster because it looks like it may be pretty thin next year.

25 before 14

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Kluberantz was intent on playing in the NHL, and although he had a great season in the AHL, it was not to be. Back to Djurgården for now – not likely to return. Kyle could see the writing on the wall as both Nash and Diaz will be injury call ups to the Habs ahead of him this coming year.

We may also have seen the last of Mathieu Carle in Hamilton as well. He finally had a good season with the Dogs but unlikely to see the Habs blueline in the future. It would be great to see Mathieu get an NHL shot with another team next year.

No word yet if Greg Pateryn (’08 Grabovski trade) will return to Michigan as a senior or if he will turn pro – he has NHL size, so may be ready for Hamilton.

• 24 Cups says:

Not to mention that Carle will have to clear waivers after training camp this year.

As for Kluberantz, if you’re 10th on the depth chart, why not go back to Europe and make some coin. It’s really the same as Dawes and Boyd.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Latest I heard was Pateryn is playing his senior year at Michigan. Which is understandable, he may never be a player and he’s close to getting his degree, might as well play a bit longer there and secure his off-ice future.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter