Max signs

And then there was one: Carey Price

Lapierre wanted term, got one year – Richard Labbé

• RDS says Goldenberg is gone

• NHL players want Donald Fehr

• Having matched San Jose’s offer to Niklas Hjalmarsson, the Stanley Cup champions have 15 players signed and $113,400 in cap space for six more. Who’s next to go? Pierre LeBrun  thinks Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp. And Antti Niemi is going to arbitration

• SI has a slide show on biggest NHL contracts. Scott Gomez is 13th … and they show him in a Rangers uni!

• Another SI slide show: NHL celebrity WAGs, leading off with Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood. No current Canadiens on the list, but Sheldon Souray and Valeri Bure make it

Shout-out to Kevin van Steendelaar for finding this hilarious video from Wayne Gretzky’s golf tournament

6oI9jPmIAaI

1. PRICEBERG1 says:

It would be better if:

“YOU KNEW YOUR ROLE & SHUT YOUR MOUTH”

2. bwoar says:

What hogwash.  The guy just isn’t all that good.  The org wants to see if he is as bad as last year or as good as he was with his pal Gui.  Ed you ought to know better than take 2 comments entirely out of context and attach your own opinion to link the two.  It isn’t a solid basis for argument.

Let’s take Toms quote (gag)…. tell me, what is the difference between an agitator and a physical bottom 6 checker?  Honestly, nothing whatsoever, other than an agitator is a physical bottom 6 checker who runs his mouth.

And by physical, let’s not kid ourselves, after 3 years no one on the Habs brass is expecting Lapierre to go out and kill guys with hits.  Seriously, you are setting up a great big straw man so that you can play your (and others’) favorite record, “The Habs can’t manage their own players”.

Imagine Lapierre scored 13 goals last year.  Now imagine a 3 year deal for 3-4m do we need to have this discussion?

It’s incredible how far out of your way you guys will go to try and make every decision that management makes into a big mistake, a lost opportunity or proof of an organizational deficiency.

Lapierre is not part of the nucleus, and for good reason, he is easily replaceable.  Bubble player, bubble team.  The nucleus, outside of Price, are all signed long term.  So Lapierre gets a year to show that he is not an interchangeable part. The brass, like the rest of us, want to see if he can commit to being the player he was in the playoffs.  It really is that simple.  That IS the direction they have given him.  It is up to him to live up to it now.

Others will get their shot if he doesn’t come through, and they know it (e.g. White).  Certainly if Lapierre spends his whole season crapping the bed again, and doesn’t lose his job to a Ryan White type, I will join you on the organizational stupidity bandwagon.  But let’s not give Maxim Lapierre a free pass to get out of the way so you guys can bash the org baselessly.

3. WarHero says:

I am! I have a good feeling about Eller but I think the wildcard will be Avtsin.

————————————————————————

4. Bryan says:

Carle and Wyman signed to 1 year deals.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

5. andrewberkshire says:

And have you? That’s an incredibly relevant question. And not at all an ad hominem.

6. Mark C says:

You are right. As much as I disliked him, really only a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee fan could like him. In his hayday he was always good for a few laughs a season.

7. andrewberkshire says:

Maybe you should jog your memory to 1996-2004.

8. punkster says:

I don’t get the reason behind the question but my answer is no.

FREE TIMO!

9. Rugger says:

Sad day in Rugby as well;

“Former University of Delaware rugby playter Nathan Henn, 25, was the
    lone American killed Sunday in a terrorist bombing at the Kyadondo Rugby
    Club in Kampala, Uganda.

Henn was in Uganda working with Invisible Children, a San Diego-based
    aid group that helps child soldiers in Africa.

In all 74 people died and 70 were injured in the attack, which struck
    most victims as they were watching the soccer World Cup final at the
    rugby club’s field. Henn was among that group.”

The New England Rugby Union had collected old jerseys & equipment to send to Uganda in support of this.  One of our Women’s team just returned from Uganda.

10. PRICEBERG1 says:

If Scotty Bowman said keep Price then we keep Price …

11. TripleX says:

I agree with what you are saying about the veterans they have seen it all and experienced the gamut of emotions.  For them it is mainly a business and they have learned not to get too involved in what management does.   The fans in general are more emotionally attached and bothered by management moves.

So I agree my logic was faulty on the first part.  I still think the tendency of the Habs to give ONE year contracts for players to PROVE themselves is questionable.  It just seems like they are unable to assess the abilities of the players in their system.  This will be Laps’s  fourth season coming up so how long does it take?

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

12. punkster says:

A one year contract for a 4th line player at his age seems reasonable. He has yet to provide evidence of consitency and that would be reflected in his value in a trade. So give him a year to prove himself worthy of a better deal here or better trade value.

FREE TIMO!

13. Slovak says:

I am saying that I want to feel the atmospehere and see the coach and players who believe they can do it without a goalie for 10 minutes when they are loosing 5:2… despite they lost

By the way – did Montreal lost with that high score in recent history?

14. Clay4bc says:

Priceberg…you ask a legitimate question, so I’ll bite.

If Price was left to develop for 2 years in the AHL as I and many here think he should have been, I THINK (don’t know, though) that he would have hade a much different path to his career. You also know that I don’t blame Price for that – it was BG who is responsible… Pray to whichever god you serve that he’s ready now, though…because there is no longer a safety net. Alex Auld is what he is.

And Priceberg, when we drafted Price, I was a believer of the hype. I thought he was going to be the next Roy or Dryden – well, not them, but Carey Price, on an equal stature…maybe it’s because my hopes were so high that I felt so let down (but not by Price – he never let anyone down but himself – it is BG who let us all down by mishandling him.

As for Halak…well, I am sure he would have gone through the same thing if he was rushed into play before he was mature enough to handle it.

And now I am off to bed (it’s late here) much to the delight of many on this board :)

__________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

15. TripleX says:

“You keep talking about competent management like you’ve ever managed anything in your life.”

16. dicktracy says:

…and they won the cup the year before! And the year after!!

17. Storm Man says:

Very sad day in baseball Steinbrenner dies.

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre didn’t leave it all on the ice until the playoffs, the guy doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on to complain about how a guy is getting rewarded for lack of work if you factor in his regular season. Pyatt is a first-year NHL player as well with half a season under the belt, he’s hapy to be on his 1-way contract I would say more than upset that Ben Pouliot is making 1.35 for next season.

You think the veterans in the room haven’t seen those kinds of players let go from their team before or have it happen to them as well? They’re pros, they get how it works and understand the nature of the game. A lot of players who get signed to these 1-year deals as well are being signed to that because their value is low and don’t bring in much value in a trade but you want to see if the player can give more.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. pmaraw says:

so what you are saying is you want to see montreal lose 10-2?

20. Mark C says:

Tony, neo-con dates back to the 1960′s.

21. TripleX says:

Well it all goes back to my original argument that because of PG’s bungling he as effectively priced himself out of making a long term offer to Price.  The Habs can’t afford a 3 million dollar cap hit.

If your numbers are close, then the only option for PG is to offer a short term contract.  That would in my mind be a failure.  Why?  Because if Price is the “franchise” and you have publicly made it known to everyone,the logical course of action is to lock him up long term.

ps I thought all you pro trade Halak guys said the reasoning was that Price would be FAR cheaper to keep   3-4 million?  huh?

22. Slovak says:

WOW

I just imagined that

WOW

I imagined that again :)

23. punkster says:

Look, I don’t have a hate on for Price and I never took sides in the Halak/Price debates. But what reasons can you give me for having confidence in Price? How has he demonstrated to you he is mentally tougher than we give him credit for? And finally, in your last sentence you mention asking for a trade. Why and what does this have to do with it?

FREE TIMO!

24. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly! Why do some people (TripleX) refuse to use common sense and the laws of supply and demand when considering the Halak deal?

25. Slovak says:

You mean the clown? Nah I gave up on that – HABS management is EL STUPIDO from my point of view period. I am just having fun waiting for next season – and watch it below – it is quite interesting for me (normal guy who just love the game - I did play it for a while – 4 years as a teenager) to find out that some NHL TEAM played 10 minutes without a goalie – 10 minutes WOW… unbelieveable It will never happen again… I wish I was there…

26. TripleX says:

I am troubled that when a player underserving of a big raise is given  one, namely Pouliot.  Think how Laps and Pyatt feel about that and how the room feels about players who left it all on the ice being let go.

And again with these ONE year contracts.  Either you believe in a player or you don’t.  If  you don’t then trade him for assets and if you do then show confidence in him and give him term

27. Storm Man says:

Imagine if you had a………. That would be a medical miracle.

28. punkster says:

Ed, a few responses to you here only touched on the real issue I think. Max is a bubble player on a bubble team. Compare him to the guys who were not made offers. Compare him to 4th liners on other teams. It would not be a tremendous loss if he did not sign and it would not impact us terribly if he does not perform well next season. He can be easily replaced. I my opinion he is now being overpaid. Now go out there and earn it.

FREE TIMO!

29. KenD29 says:

Bang On !  Allot of 3rd and 4th liners out there who can fill the void if need be.

If Lappy was not happy with the offer, he did not have to sign it.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

30. andrewberkshire says:

And in that original comment you’ll find nothing that fits that description. I said you never stop bitching, that’s not an ad hominem. I said “use your brain”, also not an ad hominem. If you want to try to sound educated, I suggest you learn the meaning of these logical fallacies before using them.

An ad hominem would be like me saying “TripleX is a liar, therefore we can’t believe anything he says.” In some conversations ad hominems are appropriate, however if you’re stating an opinion then they are not.

31. pmaraw says:

sounds more like you have a gauthierhatinghard on.

32. KenD29 says:

I’d glady take those “nickels and dimes” !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

33. ed lopaz says:

He created a shortage of goaltending throughout the organisation.

At least, he should have insisted on receiving a young goalie in return.

Its not like goaltending is a position of strength.

We have Price (?), Auld (not at all a fan), Sanford (?), Desjardins (?),

As I’ve said in the past, in all my years following this team, I can not remember this team having less

talent at the goaltending position.

34. Curtoph says:

Anyone else excited to see how all our young players develop throughout the year? It will be interesting who makes the team, and how the contribute to the team. I am really excited to watch Subban, I just love how calm and collected he is in his interviews, what an exciting asset to this team! It will be good for him to have the whole season to grow and I’m sure he’ll do great on this team! Let’s hope everyone stays nice and healthy so we don’t have to squeak into the playoffs this year!

35. andrewberkshire says:

Uh, no it wasn’t. But I don’t know why I’m talking to you Tony.

36. Slovak says:

I count off the possibility to play without Price, thanks :-)

Anyway imagine the coach that did take this decision to play without a goalie for 10 minutes, he must had balls like hippo or something bigger…:-)

It must have been totally different atmosphere in those days – Imagine nowdays coach to tell players to play 10 minutes without goalie and motivate them to believe they can do it… some would call it stupid I call it awesome…

37. Mark C says:

Steve Mason is still on his entry level deal http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=622

Point is, 1.5 million is your number, just don’t pass it off as an established market value because it is not.

It’s hard to really set an amount with Price, he is somewhat of an outlier, as your lack of finding comparables attests too. A 1 year deal at AAV 2-3 million seems fine with me, or a 2-4 year deal at AVV at 3-4 would be livable. In the end, I’m not really sure how much he should get, but its more than 1.5 million, that much is clear.

38. santeri says:

Ask the sharks and wings what mediocore goaltending got them

For the Wings: mediocre and very very cheap goaltending got them two Cups since ’98 (that is, Osgood in ’98 and ’08 – the ’97 and ’02 Cups were won with fabulous goaltending by Vernon and Hasek, respectively).

39. HABS_FAN_NS says:

Twitter Twat ? lol

40. punkster says:

I like this view Bugs. He’s an agitator who needs to be agitatin’ more. Shows his best when he’s on the other guys nerves.

FREE TIMO!

41. TripleX says:

Ad hominem abusive

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting or belittling one’s opponent in order to invalidate their argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent’s argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent’s personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent’s arguments or assertions.

42. Psycho29 says:

It was the last game if the 1969-70 season. The Canadiens needed to score 5 goals (win or lose) to make the playoffs, and they pulled Rogie Vachon with 9 minutes to play and the score 5-2 Chicago. The Hawks scored 5 empty net goals and won 10-2.

It was the first time the Habs missed the playoffs since 1949….

43. ed lopaz says:

andrew,

maybe if Gauthier wanted some “leverage” in his trade talks, he could have waited until at least the

draft to make the trade?

when you get 30 teams in the same room, discussing trades, you usually increase your leverage, do you not?

44. Rugger says:

Off by a year and some of the details – 1970, from the Habs site

“With less than 10 minutes remaining in the team’s final game, Ruel looks
    on as Chicago scores two quick goals to take a 5-2 lead. The only
    remaining hope is for the team to overcome the three-goal deficit.

Desperate
    times call for desperate measures, so Ruel pulls goalie Rogatien
    Vachon
    for a sixth attacker. The strategy blows up on Ruel as the
    Blackhawks add five unanswered goals to finish the game with a 10-2 win.”

45. Mark C says:

Wouldn’t put it passed them. The Flyers are still smarting from losing Downie, Bruke knows this so he might have to cancel his yearly fishing trip to get a deal done.

46. TripleX says:

Steve Mason at 1.3 million.

Look, you don’t agree with me fine.

How much do YOU think Price should get and what term?

What salary would you consider overpaying?

I have made it clear anything over 1.5 million on a one year is overpaying.

47. Mark C says:

This is a good value signing for Montreal, Max at less than 1 million should be a steal considering he was strong in the playoffs and was one of the top 3rd line centers the year before.

It might have been a good time for the club to extend Max for 2 or 3 threes, but that would have likely driven the AAV well north of 1 million. Montreal will still own Max’ RFA’s rights after this season, where his value should become firmly established and a long-term deal then can be worked on.

48. Storm Man says:

No Thanks.

49. TripleX says:

Exactly!  Why do some people refuse to use common sense and the laws of supply and demand?  When PG traded away Halak he purposely created a shortage in starting goalies in Montreal.  How is that not obvious?

50. Storm Man says:

You need to read up on your hockey history guy.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

So I guess the Flyers and Leafs are alraedy trying to land the kid in a trade.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Mark C says:

ONE? One goalie sets the market? Talk about small sample size. Rask had a much better seaon than Price, but it doesn’t matter because Rask signed his deal last November 5th, meaning he had only played 9, 9 NHL games when he signed! So, Rask’s season has very little to do with Price and his contract.

Considering Rask as an example sets Price’s low end of the bar at least 1.5 million.

53. TomNickle says:

Good morning Ed.

Now you know that I like Max a lot.  I think he brings a lot to the locker room and the ice.  But what is his role?

If his role is that he’s an agitator, and that’s what the team wants him to be, he might be a bit underpaid here.  But if his role is to be a physical bottom six checker, he’s priced accordingly with this contract.

Do I think he can contribute offensively?  Sure.  Hell, Pat Quinn stuck Darcy Tucker on that backdoor when the Leafs were on the Powerplay for two seasons and he came close to 30 goals in both years, that doesn’t mean that Tucker was worth $3 million annually though right?

I think Max can develop into a consistent, quality player.  But sometimes you have to play ball with management.  At the end of the day, he did get a raise and next off-season the team will be evaluating who they want going into the future and who they don’t want.  He gets a chance this year to earn a long term payday.

54. pic1983 says:

Its definitely a good question to ask.  I dont think people realize the immense pressure that was put on the shoulders of this quiet country boy from BC.  Halak was a 9th round pick.  He had no organizational or fan pressure on him.  If Price was kept in the AHL and then used as a 1b goalie behind a bonafide number 1 for a few years, things could have turned out a lot different.

I still have tons of confidence in Price.  I think hes mentally tougher than we all give him credit for.  All things considered, he never went out to the press and demanded a trade, which considering how the fans treat him, he easily could have.

55. Slovak says:

I wish I cloud feel the atmosphere in old days like 60′s – when it was less business and calculations while  more heart and improvisation…

56. Mark C says:

Anyone seen the latest episode of Kyle Beach psychopath? Got in four fights during development camp, the last one against 5-9, 160 lbs, Mathis Olimb, who Beach injured before Mathis could drop his stick. What a joke this kid is, Mckeen’s nailed this one, “(Beach) an accident waiting to happen.”  BTW, Beach runs 6-3, 203 lbs.

Fight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCg04RlbRhs&feature=player_embedded

Story:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534258

57. SLONCOLD says:

lol price is going to get some serious coin lol…. put it this way, what are our options? mason, theo, turco? really?

58. Slovak says:

Yep it’s him :) He helped Bruins a lot on the other hand… and for a guy who will be retiring soon – not bad

59. Rugger says:

Habs played for an extensive length of time last game of the season, can’t remember the year, late 60′s when it was trying to get enough goals to win a tiebreaker to make the play-offs, didn’t work but that is the longest I have heard of.  The successful Buffalo game this year against the Habs when the went with no goalie with over 3 minutes to play is the longest I’ve seen in a while.

60. nickster13 says:

nono, i meant they are the same team, not including the stars :P aka the stars are still there!

61. andrewberkshire says:

If a comment is worth disparaging you can count on my to disparage it. Unfortunately for you that entails most of your comments.

62. HabFanSince72 says:

Nickel and dime? He’s making close to $1M.

63. TripleX says:

Tukka Rask is 23 and will make 1.5 million next season.

Are you telling me Price had a better year than Rask?

64. andrewberkshire says:

Do you really not know what neo-con means? In what way could that possibly be considered racism????

Neo-con is short for neo-conservatism. How a political ideology propagated most recently by the Bush administration could be considered a race is beyond me.

65. smiler2729 says:

Dude, the Rangers will sign ANYBODY!

Satan was a positive surprize in the playoffs??? The same guy on that team that blew a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 home ice lead in Game 7??? That Satan?

66. SeriousFan09 says:

If he goes to MIN to play with Guimauve, we don’t need him because it’ll show he’s more interested in the paycheck than the big game. The Wild are close to the worst team in the NHL for drafting and player development, their three success stories are Mikko Koivu, Gaborik (Left) and Niklas Backstrom. MTL has a superior team and a much better future ahead of it.

It could backfire, but given 09-10 and some issues from 07-08, I’m fine if they want to make sure he’s an all-year player.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

67. andrewberkshire says:

Did I say you were without a brain? I said use it. Arpon is also being stupid, I told him that weeks ago when he first started crying wolf.

68. Slovak says:

My first 2 questions did not work so well – so – I have another braintestinghard one:

Don’t you think it would be better to let Price walk and play powerplay 6 on 5 all the time – I mean if a team wants to get more offensive and has no cap space – this is clearly a possibility – isn’t it?

On the other side this possibility is not used very often, mmmm Was it ever used? Did some team in the whole history of hockey play without a goalie/6 men entire game or at least 20 minutes?

69. Mark C says:

Conservatism is a race now?

70. Corio says:

Twitter twat ftw!

71. ed lopaz says:

I understand that point of view. That is EXACTLY management’s point of view.

There is a risk here – a risk any time you sign someone for 1 year when he wants longer term.

For those that see some kind of potential in Max, we see the risk that he will play well, and then leave!

He has been in touch with Guillaume, and he knows that there is fun hockey outside of Montreal.

This was a big moment, and the timing was good to keep Max locked up and cheap.

Kind of like Plekanec last year – remember???

Obviously the Habs do NOT feel that Max is part of their core – but that’s what was said last year about

Plekanec- then it came back and bit this organisation where the sun doesn’t shine.

72. Curtoph says:

Well hopefully all our guys who’s contracts are going to expire next year will give us career years and we can enjoy a nice playoff run again :)

73. TripleX says:

No, I was responding to AndrewBerkshire who advised me to “use my brain”.  He seems to need to always include a disparaging remark when responding to one of my comments.

You’re fine dude :)

74. Mark C says:

What goalies did you find around 22 years old, with over 130 NHL games experience at around league average performance?