Max signs

And then there was one: Carey Price

Lapierre wanted term, got one year – Richard Labbé

• RDS says Goldenberg is gone

• NHL players want Donald Fehr

• Having matched San Jose’s offer to Niklas Hjalmarsson, the Stanley Cup champions have 15 players signed and $113,400 in cap space for six more. Who’s next to go? Pierre LeBrun  thinks Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp. And Antti Niemi is going to arbitration

• SI has a slide show on biggest NHL contracts. Scott Gomez is 13th … and they show him in a Rangers uni!

• Another SI slide show: NHL celebrity WAGs, leading off with Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood. No current Canadiens on the list, but Sheldon Souray and Valeri Bure make it

Shout-out to Kevin van Steendelaar for finding this hilarious video from Wayne Gretzky’s golf tournament

6oI9jPmIAaI

1. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but if it is true that he doesn’t speak any english, he might want to learn a tad of english before playing here in NA, at least enough to ask for the pass and understand the coaches.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s  had only one really sharp season out of the 3 he’s had so far though, they’ve seen what he can do when he wants to compete in 08-09, 2010 playoffs but they’re not sure which is the real Lapierre yet. I think he’ll have a solid season in 10-11, It’s frustating to know these contract dramas will start again in a year, but sometimes it’s better than going “oh hell, BUY HIM OUT!!!”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, just saw that too!

Whatever you think about him, like him or not, he was a legend.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Clay4bc says:

Scotty is not infallible…no more so than the Pope is. If he was omnipotent, he would win the cup every season. I love Bowman, but come on…

_________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

5. smiler2729 says:

Yeah but I liked “him” in Seinfeld.

6. PRICEBERG1 says:

It would be better if:

“YOU KNEW YOUR ROLE & SHUT YOUR MOUTH”

7. WarHero says:

I am! I have a good feeling about Eller but I think the wildcard will be Avtsin.

————————————————————————

8. Bryan says:

Carle and Wyman signed to 1 year deals.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

9. Mark C says:

You are right. As much as I disliked him, really only a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee fan could like him. In his hayday he was always good for a few laughs a season.

10. punkster says:

I don’t get the reason behind the question but my answer is no.

FREE TIMO!

11. Rugger says:

Sad day in Rugby as well;

“Former University of Delaware rugby playter Nathan Henn, 25, was the
    lone American killed Sunday in a terrorist bombing at the Kyadondo Rugby
    Club in Kampala, Uganda.

Henn was in Uganda working with Invisible Children, a San Diego-based
    aid group that helps child soldiers in Africa.

In all 74 people died and 70 were injured in the attack, which struck
    most victims as they were watching the soccer World Cup final at the
    rugby club’s field. Henn was among that group.”

The New England Rugby Union had collected old jerseys & equipment to send to Uganda in support of this.  One of our Women’s team just returned from Uganda.

12. PRICEBERG1 says:

If Scotty Bowman said keep Price then we keep Price …

13. TripleX says:

I agree with what you are saying about the veterans they have seen it all and experienced the gamut of emotions.  For them it is mainly a business and they have learned not to get too involved in what management does.   The fans in general are more emotionally attached and bothered by management moves.

So I agree my logic was faulty on the first part.  I still think the tendency of the Habs to give ONE year contracts for players to PROVE themselves is questionable.  It just seems like they are unable to assess the abilities of the players in their system.  This will be Laps’s  fourth season coming up so how long does it take?

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

14. punkster says:

A one year contract for a 4th line player at his age seems reasonable. He has yet to provide evidence of consitency and that would be reflected in his value in a trade. So give him a year to prove himself worthy of a better deal here or better trade value.

FREE TIMO!

15. Slovak says:

I am saying that I want to feel the atmospehere and see the coach and players who believe they can do it without a goalie for 10 minutes when they are loosing 5:2… despite they lost

By the way – did Montreal lost with that high score in recent history?

16. Clay4bc says:

Priceberg…you ask a legitimate question, so I’ll bite.

If Price was left to develop for 2 years in the AHL as I and many here think he should have been, I THINK (don’t know, though) that he would have hade a much different path to his career. You also know that I don’t blame Price for that – it was BG who is responsible… Pray to whichever god you serve that he’s ready now, though…because there is no longer a safety net. Alex Auld is what he is.

And Priceberg, when we drafted Price, I was a believer of the hype. I thought he was going to be the next Roy or Dryden – well, not them, but Carey Price, on an equal stature…maybe it’s because my hopes were so high that I felt so let down (but not by Price – he never let anyone down but himself – it is BG who let us all down by mishandling him.

As for Halak…well, I am sure he would have gone through the same thing if he was rushed into play before he was mature enough to handle it.

And now I am off to bed (it’s late here) much to the delight of many on this board :)

17. dicktracy says:

…and they won the cup the year before! And the year after!!

18. Storm Man says:

Very sad day in baseball Steinbrenner dies.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre didn’t leave it all on the ice until the playoffs, the guy doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on to complain about how a guy is getting rewarded for lack of work if you factor in his regular season. Pyatt is a first-year NHL player as well with half a season under the belt, he’s hapy to be on his 1-way contract I would say more than upset that Ben Pouliot is making 1.35 for next season.

You think the veterans in the room haven’t seen those kinds of players let go from their team before or have it happen to them as well? They’re pros, they get how it works and understand the nature of the game. A lot of players who get signed to these 1-year deals as well are being signed to that because their value is low and don’t bring in much value in a trade but you want to see if the player can give more.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. pmaraw says:

so what you are saying is you want to see montreal lose 10-2?

21. Slovak says:

WOW

I just imagined that

WOW

I imagined that again :)

22. punkster says:

Look, I don’t have a hate on for Price and I never took sides in the Halak/Price debates. But what reasons can you give me for having confidence in Price? How has he demonstrated to you he is mentally tougher than we give him credit for? And finally, in your last sentence you mention asking for a trade. Why and what does this have to do with it?

FREE TIMO!

23. Slovak says:

You mean the clown? Nah I gave up on that – HABS management is EL STUPIDO from my point of view period. I am just having fun waiting for next season – and watch it below – it is quite interesting for me (normal guy who just love the game – I did play it for a while – 4 years as a teenager) to find out that some NHL TEAM played 10 minutes without a goalie – 10 minutes WOW… unbelieveable It will never happen again… I wish I was there…

24. TripleX says:

I am troubled that when a player underserving of a big raise is given  one, namely Pouliot.  Think how Laps and Pyatt feel about that and how the room feels about players who left it all on the ice being let go.

And again with these ONE year contracts.  Either you believe in a player or you don’t.  If  you don’t then trade him for assets and if you do then show confidence in him and give him term

25. Storm Man says:

Imagine if you had a………. That would be a medical miracle.

26. punkster says:

Ed, a few responses to you here only touched on the real issue I think. Max is a bubble player on a bubble team. Compare him to the guys who were not made offers. Compare him to 4th liners on other teams. It would not be a tremendous loss if he did not sign and it would not impact us terribly if he does not perform well next season. He can be easily replaced. I my opinion he is now being overpaid. Now go out there and earn it.

FREE TIMO!

27. KenD29 says:

Bang On !  Allot of 3rd and 4th liners out there who can fill the void if need be.

If Lappy was not happy with the offer, he did not have to sign it.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

28. pmaraw says:

sounds more like you have a gauthierhatinghard on.

29. KenD29 says:

I’d glady take those “nickels and dimes” !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

30. Curtoph says:

Anyone else excited to see how all our young players develop throughout the year? It will be interesting who makes the team, and how the contribute to the team. I am really excited to watch Subban, I just love how calm and collected he is in his interviews, what an exciting asset to this team! It will be good for him to have the whole season to grow and I’m sure he’ll do great on this team! Let’s hope everyone stays nice and healthy so we don’t have to squeak into the playoffs this year!

31. Slovak says:

I count off the possibility to play without Price, thanks :-)

Anyway imagine the coach that did take this decision to play without a goalie for 10 minutes, he must had balls like hippo or something bigger…:-)

It must have been totally different atmosphere in those days – Imagine nowdays coach to tell players to play 10 minutes without goalie and motivate them to believe they can do it… some would call it stupid I call it awesome…

32. HABS_FAN_NS says:

Twitter Twat ? lol

33. Psycho29 says:

It was the last game if the 1969-70 season. The Canadiens needed to score 5 goals (win or lose) to make the playoffs, and they pulled Rogie Vachon with 9 minutes to play and the score 5-2 Chicago. The Hawks scored 5 empty net goals and won 10-2.

It was the first time the Habs missed the playoffs since 1949….

34. Rugger says:

Off by a year and some of the details – 1970, from the Habs site

“With less than 10 minutes remaining in the team’s final game, Ruel looks
    on as Chicago scores two quick goals to take a 5-2 lead. The only
    remaining hope is for the team to overcome the three-goal deficit.

Desperate
    times call for desperate measures, so Ruel pulls goalie Rogatien
    Vachon
    for a sixth attacker. The strategy blows up on Ruel as the
    Blackhawks add five unanswered goals to finish the game with a 10-2 win.”

35. Mark C says:

Wouldn’t put it passed them. The Flyers are still smarting from losing Downie, Bruke knows this so he might have to cancel his yearly fishing trip to get a deal done.

36. Mark C says:

This is a good value signing for Montreal, Max at less than 1 million should be a steal considering he was strong in the playoffs and was one of the top 3rd line centers the year before.

It might have been a good time for the club to extend Max for 2 or 3 threes, but that would have likely driven the AAV well north of 1 million. Montreal will still own Max’ RFA’s rights after this season, where his value should become firmly established and a long-term deal then can be worked on.

37. Storm Man says:

No Thanks.

38. Storm Man says:

You need to read up on your hockey history guy.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

So I guess the Flyers and Leafs are alraedy trying to land the kid in a trade.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. TomNickle says:

Good morning Ed.

Now you know that I like Max a lot.  I think he brings a lot to the locker room and the ice.  But what is his role?

If his role is that he’s an agitator, and that’s what the team wants him to be, he might be a bit underpaid here.  But if his role is to be a physical bottom six checker, he’s priced accordingly with this contract.

Do I think he can contribute offensively?  Sure.  Hell, Pat Quinn stuck Darcy Tucker on that backdoor when the Leafs were on the Powerplay for two seasons and he came close to 30 goals in both years, that doesn’t mean that Tucker was worth $3 million annually though right?

I think Max can develop into a consistent, quality player.  But sometimes you have to play ball with management.  At the end of the day, he did get a raise and next off-season the team will be evaluating who they want going into the future and who they don’t want.  He gets a chance this year to earn a long term payday.

41. pic1983 says:

Its definitely a good question to ask.  I dont think people realize the immense pressure that was put on the shoulders of this quiet country boy from BC.  Halak was a 9th round pick.  He had no organizational or fan pressure on him.  If Price was kept in the AHL and then used as a 1b goalie behind a bonafide number 1 for a few years, things could have turned out a lot different.

I still have tons of confidence in Price.  I think hes mentally tougher than we all give him credit for.  All things considered, he never went out to the press and demanded a trade, which considering how the fans treat him, he easily could have.

42. Slovak says:

I wish I cloud feel the atmosphere in old days like 60’s – when it was less business and calculations while  more heart and improvisation…

43. Mark C says:

Anyone seen the latest episode of Kyle Beach psychopath? Got in four fights during development camp, the last one against 5-9, 160 lbs, Mathis Olimb, who Beach injured before Mathis could drop his stick. What a joke this kid is, Mckeen’s nailed this one, “(Beach) an accident waiting to happen.”  BTW, Beach runs 6-3, 203 lbs.

Fight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCg04RlbRhs&feature=player_embedded

Story:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534258

44. Slovak says:

Yep it’s him :) He helped Bruins a lot on the other hand… and for a guy who will be retiring soon – not bad

45. Rugger says:

Habs played for an extensive length of time last game of the season, can’t remember the year, late 60’s when it was trying to get enough goals to win a tiebreaker to make the play-offs, didn’t work but that is the longest I have heard of.  The successful Buffalo game this year against the Habs when the went with no goalie with over 3 minutes to play is the longest I’ve seen in a while.

46. nickster13 says:

nono, i meant they are the same team, not including the stars 😛 aka the stars are still there!

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Nickel and dime? He’s making close to $1M.

48. smiler2729 says:

Dude, the Rangers will sign ANYBODY!

Satan was a positive surprize in the playoffs??? The same guy on that team that blew a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 home ice lead in Game 7??? That Satan?

49. SeriousFan09 says:

If he goes to MIN to play with Guimauve, we don’t need him because it’ll show he’s more interested in the paycheck than the big game. The Wild are close to the worst team in the NHL for drafting and player development, their three success stories are Mikko Koivu, Gaborik (Left) and Niklas Backstrom. MTL has a superior team and a much better future ahead of it.

It could backfire, but given 09-10 and some issues from 07-08, I’m fine if they want to make sure he’s an all-year player.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. Slovak says:

My first 2 questions did not work so well – so – I have another braintestinghard one:

Don’t you think it would be better to let Price walk and play powerplay 6 on 5 all the time – I mean if a team wants to get more offensive and has no cap space – this is clearly a possibility – isn’t it?

On the other side this possibility is not used very often, mmmm Was it ever used? Did some team in the whole history of hockey play without a goalie/6 men entire game or at least 20 minutes?

51. Corio says:

Twitter twat ftw!

52. ed lopaz says:

I understand that point of view. That is EXACTLY management’s point of view.

There is a risk here – a risk any time you sign someone for 1 year when he wants longer term.

For those that see some kind of potential in Max, we see the risk that he will play well, and then leave!

He has been in touch with Guillaume, and he knows that there is fun hockey outside of Montreal.

This was a big moment, and the timing was good to keep Max locked up and cheap.

Kind of like Plekanec last year – remember???

Obviously the Habs do NOT feel that Max is part of their core – but that’s what was said last year about

Plekanec- then it came back and bit this organisation where the sun doesn’t shine.

53. Curtoph says:

Well hopefully all our guys who’s contracts are going to expire next year will give us career years and we can enjoy a nice playoff run again :)

54. TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno, I’m still thinking that a 2 yr deal at that level would’ve been better for Mtl. A little bit of a sign of faith for him might have been useful, and it’s not like the cap hit is outrageous.

Not that it’s a huge deal, but if I was imaginary GM I think I’d have added the 2nd year.

55. WarHero says:

I understand where you are coming from, but you can’t give longer term contracts based on 4 pts in 19 games. If Lappy can prove that he can be consistent for all 82 gmaes in the season AND have another strong playoffs then he will get his just reward :)

————————————————————————

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre still had a disasterous regular season and only saved his potential career in MTL with the playoff run. The team is not going to offer him extra money for being good for 3 playoff rounds when he checked out in the regular season. He’s getting a 1-year to make sure he can give his 100% effort during the full season, regular and playoffs. He plays well, he’ll get a better contract but you can’t afford to extend your role-players only to find out they don’t role-play for 70 games of the regular season. I say this as a guy who is a Lapierre supporter and have his player t-shirt, I like what he can do when he’s on but he has to prove he can stay on this coming season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. Slovak says:

Rangers will sign him cheap for 1 year, Gaborik wants him on team and Demitra said he won’t be playing KHL…

Player that can perform as he does at olympics is not that bad I think, his personal problems are solved.

He can be one of positive surprises next season just as Satan was in playoffs…

58. ed lopaz says:

exactly!!

as long as the core is in tact, they can re-build.

59. ed lopaz says:

theres no room for demitra – habs are banking on pouliot and AK 46 to complete the top 2 lines.

maybe the leafs should get demitra. seems like a good fit for a team looking for cheap scoring.

60. ed lopaz says:

is it a good deal for the Habs when they nickle and dime their players?

how do you think a player feels when he knows the cap is 59 million and the habs won’t budge on

250,000, or even 500,000?

look – don’t misunderstand, please – I have experience running a business with many employees.

I know that managment can’t just give out raises and stay “under the cap”.

it just troubles me, the way certain files are handled.

I hope I’m wrong, and it would NOT be the first or the last time. :-)

I would have been happy to see Max rewarded for an excellent playoff performance;

afterall, how many Habs had stellar regular seasons – not many.

it was the playoffs that separated this team from the pack – not the 8th place regular season.

And Max was a MAJOR factor in our playoff run.

61. smiler2729 says:

Demitra’s done. It’s Europe or nothing for him.

62. Malreg says:

If he plays like he did for the first 3/4’s of last year, then he’s a waste of a roster spot even at the league minimum, so I don’t mind them playing it safe with only a 1 year deal.

63. Slovak says:

Get Demitra before Rangers.

Will be cheap and is motivated to show that he is still a great player.

Get him for 1 year – no gamble.

And get a real n.1 goalie man or at least someone who is able to teach children in nets :)

64. SlovakHab says:

Report says it’s $900,00 for one year.

Good deal for the Habs, I think he will outplay his contract next season.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

They kept all their stars.

66. PRICEBERG1 says:

FOR CLAY:

All foolishness aside, if Price was in Halak’s skates, being developed slowly, would Carey  be one of the top goalies right now?

Who knows, what if it were the other way around & Halak was rushed …

67. arcosenate says:

I would grab Sharp in a second if we could make some cap room.

That would be a great pick up.

68. TorontoHabsFan says:

From my point of view management kinda flubbed the Lapierre deal. If I’m reading the article right (and my french ain’t what it used to be :), he wanted to sign long term (I’m assuming 2-3 yrs) at $875k-ish, and management balked and only signed him to a 1 yr deal?

You gotta think that even at his worst, Lapierre is worth that money. If he has a decent season next year his price will undoubtedly go up. At the end of the day it’s not a huge flub, but a flub nonetheless.

(annnnd now let’s wait for tony/callyjo to start screaming how this is the worstest thing ever!!1!!)

69. pic1983 says:

Crazy how that team just got torn apart in no time.

I dont know about the hjalmarsson offer sheet match though…I guess if it was any team other than san jose they wouldnt have matched.  The 1st and 3rd round picks theyd get from san jose as compensation would almost certainly be low first and third round picks, and they would be sending a tremendous asset to a direct competitor.

70. nickster13 says:

yeah they lost like half their team, it will be a different squad for sure minus the stars

71. smiler2729 says:

Man, Chicago is so screwed! But then, they did win the Stanley Cup… won’t do it again though, not for awhile unless the cheap 3rd and 4th liners they end up with excel.

72. nickster13 says:

lol they must be bored/clever

73. SlovakHab says:

Just for laughs:

Best headline ever on Reuters: Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 metres

74. Danno says:

It should be three years…

1st @ $1.8

2nd @ $2.0

3rd @ $2.2

Of course, what will happen could be completely different than the above…

That’s my $00.02 worth.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

75. Slovak says:

Maybe they are trying to sign Price for food and shelter. Wouldn’t it be nice due to cap space?

76. Max_a_million says:

It would have to be quite luxurious shelter to meet the salary minimum of $525,000

77. Rugger says:

So about $4.5M with just Carey to sighn?  Not bad at this point.

78. Slovak says:

Sign him for food and shelter and preserve 4.5M for ice cream for all children in Montreal.

79. Got2BHabs says:

Just Carey? Who took Metro/Moore’s spots? Boyd is one, but I can’t think of anyone else.

80. PRICEBERG1 says:

The Habs saving the best for last!

Well done Molson’s, well done ….

81. Slovak says:

2 practical questions:

1.Do you think hypnosis would help in order to take out that deeply hidden potential in Mr. Price?

2.Who should execute it?

82. PRICEBERG1 says:

Don’t U worry about it!

You will see Carey Price’s potential this up comming season …

We will all be saying “Halak who”?

83. Bill J says:

1 – I think it is your bias that needs hypnosis SLOVAK.  It is so painfully obvious you are still bitter your “boy” got traded & you are lashing out at the existing #1 Goalie like a child who had his candy taken away.

2 – I would be glad to execute it upon you.  I warn you now though, I have no special training in Hypnosis.  It may hurt a bit!

3 – If your sole reason to be a Habs fan was Jaro – why not go find Blues I/O and leave us alone.

84. Clay4bc says:

Don’t worry Slovak…some of us appreciate your charms. Stay here as long as you like – you are a very entertaining fellow.

But hypnosis…truthfully, no – I don’t see it. What he needs more than anything is a mentor. A real character player who can teach him the little things he is lacking – which can be the difference between being an average player (Price now) and a great player (I hope Price in the near future).

85. Got2BHabs says:

oops, sorry about the bold, that was a mistake.

86. Rugger says:

Eller’s salary is listed on Capgeek so if it is not him, his salary comes off, someone elses goes on.

87. Got2BHabs says:

Awesome, thanks!

88. Max_a_million says:

Thanks for clarifying, we were worried you were yelling at us way too early in the morning.  :)

”Last season we couldn’t win at home and we were losing on the road. My failure was that I couldn’t think of any place else to play.” – Harry Neale

89. TorontoHabsFan says:

Couple of thoughts:

1) Looks like management should have a decent kitty to go bargain hunting in the late summer for a 1 yr deal (Ponikarovsky? Torres? Madden?)

2) I’m looking at Chicago being way over the cap, and the Islanders being way under the floor. And Campbell, who possesses a skill set the Islanders could certainly use, is sitting just sitting there. Makes way too much sense to happen.

3) Maybe I’m old fashioned, but in my books “blonde” doesn’t automatically mean “attractive”. On that list of WAGs I’m counting only two (Cuthbert and Milano) who are *actually* attractive :)

90. HabFanSince72 says:

1) Frolov.

2) Campbell makes 7.1M for another SIX YEARS!

3) Almost all of them are more attractive than Cuthbert.

91. SlovakHab says:

1. Bring back Dominic Moore?

2. I guess they will try to move Huet first. Even to AHL or Europe if necessary.

3. I saw more than 2 attractive blondes in the slideshow, but you’re right, not all of them were.

92. Bob Barker says:

What about Kournikova and Varecova? No love for the russians?

93. Slovak says:

pssssssssssssssst just don’t say it out loud… :-)

94. HabFanSince72 says:

Kristi Yamaguchi!!!!

95. Slovak says:

How many times did you say it so far? 1? 2? 3? 4? :-)

But nevermind let’s just hope again :-)

96. PRICEBERG1 says:

Halak had one good 1/2 season & playoffs. He has a long way to go to reach Roy status OK!

Lets see how he does in the 2010/11 season Ok ….

Halak was developed properly (Price never had that chance) & people say he was Sh!t on in Montreal… Get real ….

97. sholi2000.com says:

Just like when Huet was traded.  The entire world collapsed and now look.  No one could care less about him, including the team that signed him.

They Call Me Shane

98. Slovak says:

I did’t say anything about Mr. H.  I was talking about Mr. P.

Why are you so nervous? Are you scared that MR. P will blow it? Don’t be – Mr. P did blow it so many times before that it is no big deal anymore.

Don’t worry I am real, I simply count on reality where you count on what? :-)

I AM FOR HYPNOSIS

99. PRICEBERG1 says:

OH, U R real all right! A real ………

100. Curtoph says:

Why waste your time here if you are just a Halak fan? Pretty sure St. Louis has a site…

101. Clay4bc says:

What a retort…you must have stayed all night to come up with that.

And right…Price has no room to improve…

102. Curtoph says:

Just saying, if you aren’t a fan of the HABS, this ain’t Halak inside/out.

103. Clay4bc says:

Diversity of opinion helps us grow…

104. Curtoph says:

Agreed. However, first of all, I wasn’t after you and it just seems as if the user Slovak, is obviously a Halak fan, just I haven’t seen any positivity about our Habs, only negativity about Price.

105. HabFanSince72 says:

Here’s the really bad news.

The next CBA might well feature a more extensive revenue sharing agreement. Essentially, you, the Canadian hockey fan, could end up subsidizing hockey in Tampa and Phoenix.

106. TommyB says:

Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood, that’s old news….but I had no idea Sheldon and Valeri were an item!

107. Slovak says:

But if you come out of an idea that he needs very very very LARGE space to develop… he needs something BIG

108. SlovakHab says:

Bill, I think it is better to accept this. I had the same arguments with ‘TripleX’ and ‘clay’ for a while, but it leads nowhere. Some people will not move on and will complain all the time. Others will try to find some positives as well. I guess this is just the way the people are.

109. PRICEBERG1 says:

Halak was lucky in Montreal. He was developed properly. He was not thrown into the fire ….

Anything, Jaro should be thanking Montreal ….

110. Clay4bc says:

Is there some reason my “name” is in “quotes”…

Because it’s really my name…

111. Slovak says:

So you don’t really want Price to develop? Do you? Because if you do, you have to think about new ways how he can take out that potential because old ways did not work…:)

112. SlovakHab says:

I meant you, but I forgot your nickname. I used the quotes to distinguish a poster’s name. No other meaning to it.

My point to Bill was: No need to argue about the same stuff anymore. Some people have rather pessimistic view of the Habs (management, Gomez, Price, Halak trade, Eller’s potential etc.). Some people are very optimistic. I am rather balanced (like some things, dislike others), but I don’t like it when some people here complain about the same stuff all the time. It’s like they don’t like anything about the Canadiens, which makes me ask why are they here. It makes HIO less enjoyable for me. Go to some TML blogs (or any other team) and you will find much more common sense and way more positive thoughts and constructive dialogue.

I have already had enough of these arguments and tried to suggest the same about Bill. HIO won’t implement an ‘ignore’ function so we can skip the posters that won’t stop posting the same negativity and complaints – so the best strategy is to learn to accept this and try to respond to some other posters that we can find common opinions with. That is my way of thinking from today on.

113. Malreg says:

It wouldn’t change a thing for Canadian hockey fans.  They will still be very profitable, and will still spend to the cap.  It just means less money into the pockets of the Molson’s.

114. pic1983 says:

Molsons will just jack up ticket and concession prices to make up the difference.  Its not like montrealers arent going to pay it.

115. HabFanSince72 says:

But all the teams will be able to spend the cap, negating the one tiny advantage we have over all those clubs with no fans.

And as pointed out below, the Canadian teams will just raise ticket prices.

116. SeriousFan09 says:

Large-market teams should start using that in their mailing for season tickets “Due to no one buying season tickets in the following sunbelt markets, we’re raising prices here to pay for that. Compliments of Gary Bettman.”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

117. Clay4bc says:

I meant to answer you last night, SlovakHab, but my keyboard went south…so here it is.

I will stop talking about Halak when Price proves to be a better goalie than him. Simple as that. Fair enough?

118. PRICEBERG1 says:

So, by November, no more Halak talk ….LOL ….

119. SegerHabs says:

Pretty sure that can’t happen in July and August so why not take a break from complaining about it day in and day out until they are actually playing again.

“We’ll be back in the high life again, all the doors I closed one time will open up again. We’ll be back in the high life again, all the eyes that watched us once will smile and take us in” – Steve Winwood

120. SlovakHab says:

Anything’s fine with me. Even if it happens, feel free to continue. Don’t let anyone tell you what to do.

I’ll just watch my fav team and will discuss the current players, because that’s what I enjoy the most.

121. Clay4bc says:

Let’s all hope so Priceberg. Regardless of my bias towards the better goalie, I hope as much as anyone here that Price succeeds. That is, if he signs.

122. Clay4bc says:

Wow, thanks. I can sleep better now that I have your permission. I will also watch my favourite team, and discuss the players – past and present…because what are the Montreal Canadiens without their history? Columbus, that’s what.

18 years and counting…

What a stupid trade…

123. HabFanSince72 says:

But the issue here isn’t Price versus Halak. It is, as Oscar Wilde said, tedious versus charming.

124. Clay4bc says:

No thanks, junior…how about I don’t, and you can pretend I did.

BTW…my name is Clay…care to introduce yourself before you wade into the fray? Or do you just like to take pot shots.

125. Rugger says:

If Toe Blake had communicated more with Plante, maybe we would have won even more cups in the 60’s.  I’m sure that is the reason the window opened for the Leafs in 1967.

126. Clay4bc says:

为什么告诉我
    呢?

127. SegerHabs says:

Hard to “pretend” when you are plastered all over the message board with the same post over and over. Very tiresome scrolling past your avatar. It is one thing to scroll past all the trolls but you’re seemingly a hard-core fan…that just won’t talk about anything except the trade.

You said you would stop complaing when Price proved he was the better goalie…well that can’t happen today or tomorrow…why not discuss something else?

128. Clay4bc says:

Ok…but just because you said so.

How about that Laps signing? Personally, I would rather have had Moore…

129. SegerHabs says:

I agree with you. When Moore was a leaf, as much as I hated to admit it, I always respected that he was flat out whenever he was on the ice. I was very excited when I seen they had traded for him.

Realistically, the organization would never be able to choose Moore over Lapierre. I accept that.

However, for 900 000 if we get the Lapierre that played this past playoffs and the 08-09 season, and not the injury rehabilitating Lapiere of this regular season, he should offer a great bang for the buck. If he does have a great season, then the Habs have lots of cap space to offer him a raise of 6 or 700 000 for 2-3 years.

130. TorontoHabsFan says:

1) I think I’d like Frolov. Lebrun was pointing out that last year he had his worst season with 19 goals. BUT those numbers were put up while on the 3rd line. He’d be an upgrade for sure for a lot of teams. Of course we’d have to move salary to get him. I don’t think he’ll go for a bargain 1 yr deal, not with the KHL a viable option.

2) Yeah, I still think NYI could use him (he’s not a bad D man, it’s just taht Keith and Seabrook are better)

3) A chacun son gout I guess 😀

131. Slovak says:

:) thanks… I am just having fun (little off main topics here I know :) but some poeple here are so serious moreover they seriously hope for 3 or 4rd time that Price will be better goalie by a whip of a magic stick.

By the way do you think Auld is that mentor type? I doub’t it so I am all for hypnosis – it is cheap so it won’t hurt cap space and it is fast – so Mr. P can really upgrade in a while :)

PS: Seriously I think Price is overrated, he is not natural hardworker and as you see his talent alone is simply not enough…

132. Clay4bc says:

Slovak, you know I agree with your opinion on Price…and no (NO!!!), Auld is not the man to mentor him.

However, Gionta may be…he is that type of player and man.

Either way, it’s up to Price now…time to put up or shut up.

133. PRICEBERG1 says:

“he is not natural hardworker

How in the blue hell do U know that? What, from the Montreal media. Do U believe everything U hear?

It’s time to move on ….

134. SeriousFan09 says:

Yea, a lot of people coast into the top 10 of the NHL draft because they’re lazy players.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

135. TorontoHabsFan says:

PS: Seriously I think Price is overrated, he is not natural hardworker…

Hear that sound? That’s the sound of your credibility flying out the window :)

136. Clay4bc says:

Come on SF…we alone have 3 of them…Price, Pouliot, and Andrei K.

137. Slovak says:

I like flying

138. SeriousFan09 says:

Forwards play a much more limited time coming up in the game while a goalie plays 60 minutes each game, laziness with those guys gets exposed much quicker. Pouliot and AK have had various medical/personal issues disrupt their NHL careers as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

139. TorontoHabsFan says:

As near as I can tell you like Slovakian hockey players and little else 😉

140. pic1983 says:

Arent there st louis blues fan boards that you can post on? Or better yet, how about you start your own halak fan board? Are you a habs fan or simply a halak fan? If you’re a habs fan, Carey Price is your starting goalie.  DEAL WITH IT, and support him like any good fan would do.  Thank you.

141. Kristopher7 says:

Hahahahaha, that video bashing facebook and twitter is classic!

142. yathehabsrule says:

There’s another funny one on the Gretzky site with Hull, Mike Keenan, Barkley and others singing with the house band at one of the after parties.

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

143. waisguy says:

Hello everyone. I have a question. Most of us saw Shawn Belle have a few games with the big boys last year. How ready is he to make the jump to the nhl? I’d love to see him in the back end as well as he could be a physical force.

144. ed lopaz says:

not this year, there are about 10 defenceman ahead of him.

145. bwoar says:

Never, he has the hockey sense of a bag of hammers.  His skill is just good enough so that plays in the AHL aren’t too fast for him to follow, but the NHL speed is overwhleming to him.

146. TripleX says:

“but contracts are ALWAYS awarded for regular season play. That’s why Joe Thornton makes 7 million a year” AndrewBerkshire

That would explain the salary of Gomez?  Nice to know.

147. andrewberkshire says:

2005-06 + Glenn Sather = Scott Gomez’s contract.

148. bwoar says:

Game, set & match.

149. sidhu says:

Game, set, match.
    Point. Scott. Game over. End of game

– Michael Scott

150. TripleX says:

Ummmmm….. Gomez played for the Devils in 2006-2007.

151. andrewberkshire says:

So previous years of regular season play have no relevance to contract negotiations? Really? So because Kovalchuk had a fairly pedestrian 85 point season, he shouldn’t be pricing himself as a franchise player then right? Considering according to you, previous years make no difference, so it doesn’t matter how many times he’s scored 50.

152. TripleX says:

I am tired arguing with you.  You can never admit when you are wrong but just resort to thunder and bluster.

I just pointed out an obvious error and you added the rest.

153. andrewberkshire says:

You’re tired of arguing with me, so you dredged up something I wrote 5 hours ago?

And where exactly is the error? Where did I say Scott Gomez was signed after the 05-06 season? Nowhere. The problem here is that you’re so obsessed with trying to have a “gotcha!” moment that you jump to conclusions in every post you write. Scott Gomez got that contract because of how dominant he was in 05-06, and Glenn Sather’s penchant for overpaying UFA’s when they go to market in 06-07. I’m all bluster? Get over yourself.

154. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Your Spot on as usual. Quit feeding the trolls. They follow these tracks very well. Its a cat and mouse game and trolls wait for the bait to attack again.

155. TripleX says:

Ironic that one of the definitions for a troll is to spark an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. “you are nothing but a troll or a fanboy) with no substance or fact to back up such statements.  It is merely bluster to avoid addressing the actual point.

Troll is the most overused and incorrectly used words on the internet.

156. andrewberkshire says:

I’m a sucker for the bait, I’ll admit.

157. andrewberkshire says:

And here I thought you’d slunk away back into a corner after I made you look foolish again.

158. ed lopaz says:

Both XXX and Andrew are EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Neither one is a troll.

Or, maybe I’m a troll, by your standards as well, since I question management.

159. TripleX says:

If someone implies that I am a troll I feel compelled to set them straight.

Hardly slinking away just bored with you.

160. andrewberkshire says:

So bored that you went back throughout a bunch of posts in order to find something I said and try to be all contrary about it. You’re not bored, you’re pissed off because you keep getting shown up.

161. Mark C says:

Speaking of no substance or fact to back up such statements. Have you found any comps for Price yet?

162. Clay4bc says:

What’s the matter with you? You’re such a child.

163. JIMVINNY says:

Pot, meet kettle.

164. zak says:

To all Price fans out there. If he doesn,t have a great year he’ll be booed nright out of montreal because of what Jaro did last year. When that happens we’ll searching for a goalie.He,s gonna learn about playing under pressure.

165. Nina76 says:

I could not agree with your post more…………..that’s exactly what will happen…………..He is the goalie……….the players have to score the goals……………..& work in front of him most of all get yourself dirty……go for it use the body…………….Price stay in the net not behind you sometime confuse the defence when you handle the puck……..less rebounds………….GOOD LUCK to you Price!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!!!! I hope you sign with the Habs we are still waiting for that………..RIGHT GUYS??????

166. sidhu says:

I’m not a Price hater, but I do know Montreal fans, who can be ruthless at times.  What is the over-under on when the Bell Centre crowd starts chanting “Jaro! Jaro! Jaro”?

1st game?  15th?  60th?  Never?

167. andrewberkshire says:

1st home game as soon as he lets in a goal, doesn’t matter if it’s soft or not.

168. waisguy says:

I hope Bell Center does not turn into Carey Price Booooo Center this year.

169. ed lopaz says:

HE MUST SIGN !!

it feels like everyday that goes by, this thing is becoming
    more and more ridiculous.

170. zak says:

Any team could sign him to an offer sheet and the Habs would have to match it or give him up for picks.

171. adamkennelly says:

Max signs – who cares.  Jarred Boll signs in Columbus – 2 years – less money than Max per year – now there’s a guy this team could use.  I still can’t believe this is the line-up Habs are going into the season with – the way it ended vs. Philly – all the injuries – the easiest line-up to play against in the league last year – can’t score 5 on 5 and PG gets rid of Metro and adds exactly zero players with NHL experience…terrific.

172. mbplekfan says:

Metro is an aging waiver wire pickup who found a spot with the habs when Maxwell and Lapierre failed to make the grade. He was never part of the long term plans. I welcomed his experience and determination as well as his ability to play mistake free hockey. I also recognized he was never going to provide anything more than competency and in pro sports just being OK isnt good enough.

To be successful teams must always be looking for the diamond in the rough, if none are sitting out in the open. Eller, Endqvist, Avtsin represent the potential star to be. If one turns out to be as good as Metro in his first habs camp then we have new blood with better potential. To block one of those with the same old, same old doesnt make sense.

Metro will still be around in November if the team needs his services for another year. Just dont confuse a journeyman minute eater with a potential top six player.

173. yathehabsrule says:

Man, just scrolled throught the last two pages and it seems like poor Andrew is in debate with everyone today. It’s either that, or the HIO crew are giving him a cut of their AdSense revenues. :p

___________________________________________

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

174. ooder says:

i know he’s on fire eh

——————

88 is the new 23

175. andrewberkshire says:

Didn’t you hear? I’m getting paid by the argument now!

176. andrewberkshire says:

Got an extinguisher? I’m getting a little crispy…

177. ooder says:

at this point i would need an entire fire brigade

——————

88 is the new 23

178. G-Man says:

Kinda like bacon, eh? (Now, that’s a roundabout fat joke)

179. andrewberkshire says:

I’m glad we’re all in grade 2.

180. Mark C says:

I know Eklund is an utter joke, and only right about .0003% of the time, but he says the Habs have the best offer on the table for Filatov. If Montreal got good ol’ Nikita it might kill off half the population of HIO.

181. ed lopaz says:

whose spot would he take?

182. dudurules says:

where did you read this?  who’s this Eklund guy.. is he a meteorologist on the side?

183. Mark C says:

Just a rumor monger who runs a website. Haha meteorologists have a much higher batting average than him.

184. RJB says:

I’m a little bit surprised, that people are calling other people racist on this forum…but then again, I guess I’m not really. You’re the man Andrew! Don’t listen to these fools!

185. dudurules says:

and he just creates this crap outta mid air?

186. Adam says:

Maybe Mel Gibson is a Habs fan. If so, we could get him to post here. It’s not like he’s going to be that busy for the next little while.

187. piche says:

Might have already been posted… but hey Boone re WAGS… don’t forget exHAB Czerkawski… he made the list.

188. deuce6 says:

You know what? I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say they support the kid..

189. B says:

Who led the Habs in power play goals last season (despite being 10th in PP TOI)?

190. adamkennelly says:

don’t worry about me being confused – you should look in the mirror.  no one said Metro was top 6, the point I was making is that all PG has done is taken away from last years team and has not added any proven NHL talent.  so in your mind our strategy is to look for a diamond in the rough to solve your problems, thats a great idea…maybe AK will score 50 and OB will turn into Chris Pronger…so this off season, the Habs have added….hope…that should come in handy when we are getting pounded by the Bruins, Flyers and any other team that feels like doing it since PG has not addressed the 2 most important issues this team faced – too easy to play against (i.e. zero toughness) and lack of 5 on 5 scoring.