Max signs

And then there was one: Carey Price

Lapierre wanted term, got one year – Richard Labbé

• RDS says Goldenberg is gone

• NHL players want Donald Fehr

• Having matched San Jose’s offer to Niklas Hjalmarsson, the Stanley Cup champions have 15 players signed and $113,400 in cap space for six more. Who’s next to go? Pierre LeBrun  thinks Brian Campbell, Patrick Sharp. And Antti Niemi is going to arbitration

• SI has a slide show on biggest NHL contracts. Scott Gomez is 13th … and they show him in a Rangers uni!

• Another SI slide show: NHL celebrity WAGs, leading off with Mike Fisher and Carrie Underwood. No current Canadiens on the list, but Sheldon Souray and Valeri Bure make it

Shout-out to Kevin van Steendelaar for finding this hilarious video from Wayne Gretzky’s golf tournament

6oI9jPmIAaI

1. Curtoph says:

Yeah, but if it is true that he doesn’t speak any english, he might want to learn a tad of english before playing here in NA, at least enough to ask for the pass and understand the coaches.

2. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s  had only one really sharp season out of the 3 he’s had so far though, they’ve seen what he can do when he wants to compete in 08-09, 2010 playoffs but they’re not sure which is the real Lapierre yet. I think he’ll have a solid season in 10-11, It’s frustating to know these contract dramas will start again in a year, but sometimes it’s better than going “oh hell, BUY HIM OUT!!!”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

3. Mattyleg says:

Yeah, just saw that too!

Whatever you think about him, like him or not, he was a legend.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Clay4bc says:

Scotty is not infallible…no more so than the Pope is. If he was omnipotent, he would win the cup every season. I love Bowman, but come on…

_________________________

“This has to be the mother of all brain-dead decisions.” Red Fisher regarding the Halak trade.

5. smiler2729 says:

Yeah but I liked “him” in Seinfeld.

6. PRICEBERG1 says:

It would be better if:

“YOU KNEW YOUR ROLE & SHUT YOUR MOUTH”

7. WarHero says:

I am! I have a good feeling about Eller but I think the wildcard will be Avtsin.

————————————————————————

8. Bryan says:

Carle and Wyman signed to 1 year deals.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

9. Mark C says:

You are right. As much as I disliked him, really only a dyed-in-the-wool Yankee fan could like him. In his hayday he was always good for a few laughs a season.

10. punkster says:

I don’t get the reason behind the question but my answer is no.

FREE TIMO!

11. Rugger says:

Sad day in Rugby as well;

“Former University of Delaware rugby playter Nathan Henn, 25, was the
    lone American killed Sunday in a terrorist bombing at the Kyadondo Rugby
    Club in Kampala, Uganda.

Henn was in Uganda working with Invisible Children, a San Diego-based
    aid group that helps child soldiers in Africa.

In all 74 people died and 70 were injured in the attack, which struck
    most victims as they were watching the soccer World Cup final at the
    rugby club’s field. Henn was among that group.”

The New England Rugby Union had collected old jerseys & equipment to send to Uganda in support of this.  One of our Women’s team just returned from Uganda.

12. PRICEBERG1 says:

If Scotty Bowman said keep Price then we keep Price …

13. TripleX says:

I agree with what you are saying about the veterans they have seen it all and experienced the gamut of emotions.  For them it is mainly a business and they have learned not to get too involved in what management does.   The fans in general are more emotionally attached and bothered by management moves.

So I agree my logic was faulty on the first part.  I still think the tendency of the Habs to give ONE year contracts for players to PROVE themselves is questionable.  It just seems like they are unable to assess the abilities of the players in their system.  This will be Laps’s  fourth season coming up so how long does it take?

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

14. punkster says:

A one year contract for a 4th line player at his age seems reasonable. He has yet to provide evidence of consitency and that would be reflected in his value in a trade. So give him a year to prove himself worthy of a better deal here or better trade value.

FREE TIMO!

15. Slovak says:

I am saying that I want to feel the atmospehere and see the coach and players who believe they can do it without a goalie for 10 minutes when they are loosing 5:2… despite they lost

By the way – did Montreal lost with that high score in recent history?

16. Clay4bc says:

Priceberg…you ask a legitimate question, so I’ll bite.

If Price was left to develop for 2 years in the AHL as I and many here think he should have been, I THINK (don’t know, though) that he would have hade a much different path to his career. You also know that I don’t blame Price for that – it was BG who is responsible… Pray to whichever god you serve that he’s ready now, though…because there is no longer a safety net. Alex Auld is what he is.

And Priceberg, when we drafted Price, I was a believer of the hype. I thought he was going to be the next Roy or Dryden – well, not them, but Carey Price, on an equal stature…maybe it’s because my hopes were so high that I felt so let down (but not by Price – he never let anyone down but himself – it is BG who let us all down by mishandling him.

As for Halak…well, I am sure he would have gone through the same thing if he was rushed into play before he was mature enough to handle it.

And now I am off to bed (it’s late here) much to the delight of many on this board 🙂

__________________________

17. dicktracy says:

…and they won the cup the year before! And the year after!!

18. Storm Man says:

Very sad day in baseball Steinbrenner dies.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre didn’t leave it all on the ice until the playoffs, the guy doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on to complain about how a guy is getting rewarded for lack of work if you factor in his regular season. Pyatt is a first-year NHL player as well with half a season under the belt, he’s hapy to be on his 1-way contract I would say more than upset that Ben Pouliot is making 1.35 for next season.

You think the veterans in the room haven’t seen those kinds of players let go from their team before or have it happen to them as well? They’re pros, they get how it works and understand the nature of the game. A lot of players who get signed to these 1-year deals as well are being signed to that because their value is low and don’t bring in much value in a trade but you want to see if the player can give more.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. pmaraw says:

so what you are saying is you want to see montreal lose 10-2?

21. Slovak says:

WOW

I just imagined that

WOW

I imagined that again 🙂

22. punkster says:

Look, I don’t have a hate on for Price and I never took sides in the Halak/Price debates. But what reasons can you give me for having confidence in Price? How has he demonstrated to you he is mentally tougher than we give him credit for? And finally, in your last sentence you mention asking for a trade. Why and what does this have to do with it?

FREE TIMO!

23. Slovak says:

You mean the clown? Nah I gave up on that – HABS management is EL STUPIDO from my point of view period. I am just having fun waiting for next season – and watch it below – it is quite interesting for me (normal guy who just love the game – I did play it for a while – 4 years as a teenager) to find out that some NHL TEAM played 10 minutes without a goalie – 10 minutes WOW… unbelieveable It will never happen again… I wish I was there…

24. TripleX says:

I am troubled that when a player underserving of a big raise is given  one, namely Pouliot.  Think how Laps and Pyatt feel about that and how the room feels about players who left it all on the ice being let go.

And again with these ONE year contracts.  Either you believe in a player or you don’t.  If  you don’t then trade him for assets and if you do then show confidence in him and give him term

25. Storm Man says:

Imagine if you had a………. That would be a medical miracle.

26. punkster says:

Ed, a few responses to you here only touched on the real issue I think. Max is a bubble player on a bubble team. Compare him to the guys who were not made offers. Compare him to 4th liners on other teams. It would not be a tremendous loss if he did not sign and it would not impact us terribly if he does not perform well next season. He can be easily replaced. I my opinion he is now being overpaid. Now go out there and earn it.

FREE TIMO!

27. KenD29 says:

Bang On !  Allot of 3rd and 4th liners out there who can fill the void if need be.

If Lappy was not happy with the offer, he did not have to sign it.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

28. pmaraw says:

sounds more like you have a gauthierhatinghard on.

29. KenD29 says:

I’d glady take those “nickels and dimes” !

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

30. Curtoph says:

Anyone else excited to see how all our young players develop throughout the year? It will be interesting who makes the team, and how the contribute to the team. I am really excited to watch Subban, I just love how calm and collected he is in his interviews, what an exciting asset to this team! It will be good for him to have the whole season to grow and I’m sure he’ll do great on this team! Let’s hope everyone stays nice and healthy so we don’t have to squeak into the playoffs this year!

31. Slovak says:

I count off the possibility to play without Price, thanks 🙂

Anyway imagine the coach that did take this decision to play without a goalie for 10 minutes, he must had balls like hippo or something bigger…:-)

It must have been totally different atmosphere in those days – Imagine nowdays coach to tell players to play 10 minutes without goalie and motivate them to believe they can do it… some would call it stupid I call it awesome…

32. HABS_FAN_NS says:

Twitter Twat ? lol

33. Psycho29 says:

It was the last game if the 1969-70 season. The Canadiens needed to score 5 goals (win or lose) to make the playoffs, and they pulled Rogie Vachon with 9 minutes to play and the score 5-2 Chicago. The Hawks scored 5 empty net goals and won 10-2.

It was the first time the Habs missed the playoffs since 1949….

34. Rugger says:

Off by a year and some of the details – 1970, from the Habs site

“With less than 10 minutes remaining in the team’s final game, Ruel looks
    on as Chicago scores two quick goals to take a 5-2 lead. The only
    remaining hope is for the team to overcome the three-goal deficit.

Desperate
    times call for desperate measures, so Ruel pulls goalie Rogatien
    Vachon
    for a sixth attacker. The strategy blows up on Ruel as the
    Blackhawks add five unanswered goals to finish the game with a 10-2 win.”

35. Mark C says:

Wouldn’t put it passed them. The Flyers are still smarting from losing Downie, Bruke knows this so he might have to cancel his yearly fishing trip to get a deal done.

36. Mark C says:

This is a good value signing for Montreal, Max at less than 1 million should be a steal considering he was strong in the playoffs and was one of the top 3rd line centers the year before.

It might have been a good time for the club to extend Max for 2 or 3 threes, but that would have likely driven the AAV well north of 1 million. Montreal will still own Max’ RFA’s rights after this season, where his value should become firmly established and a long-term deal then can be worked on.

37. Storm Man says:

No Thanks.

38. Storm Man says:

You need to read up on your hockey history guy.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

So I guess the Flyers and Leafs are alraedy trying to land the kid in a trade.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. TomNickle says:

Good morning Ed.

Now you know that I like Max a lot.  I think he brings a lot to the locker room and the ice.  But what is his role?

If his role is that he’s an agitator, and that’s what the team wants him to be, he might be a bit underpaid here.  But if his role is to be a physical bottom six checker, he’s priced accordingly with this contract.

Do I think he can contribute offensively?  Sure.  Hell, Pat Quinn stuck Darcy Tucker on that backdoor when the Leafs were on the Powerplay for two seasons and he came close to 30 goals in both years, that doesn’t mean that Tucker was worth $3 million annually though right?

I think Max can develop into a consistent, quality player.  But sometimes you have to play ball with management.  At the end of the day, he did get a raise and next off-season the team will be evaluating who they want going into the future and who they don’t want.  He gets a chance this year to earn a long term payday.

41. pic1983 says:

Its definitely a good question to ask.  I dont think people realize the immense pressure that was put on the shoulders of this quiet country boy from BC.  Halak was a 9th round pick.  He had no organizational or fan pressure on him.  If Price was kept in the AHL and then used as a 1b goalie behind a bonafide number 1 for a few years, things could have turned out a lot different.

I still have tons of confidence in Price.  I think hes mentally tougher than we all give him credit for.  All things considered, he never went out to the press and demanded a trade, which considering how the fans treat him, he easily could have.

42. Slovak says:

I wish I cloud feel the atmosphere in old days like 60’s – when it was less business and calculations while  more heart and improvisation…

43. Mark C says:

Anyone seen the latest episode of Kyle Beach psychopath? Got in four fights during development camp, the last one against 5-9, 160 lbs, Mathis Olimb, who Beach injured before Mathis could drop his stick. What a joke this kid is, Mckeen’s nailed this one, “(Beach) an accident waiting to happen.”  BTW, Beach runs 6-3, 203 lbs.

Fight:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCg04RlbRhs&feature=player_embedded

Story:  http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534258

44. Slovak says:

Yep it’s him 🙂 He helped Bruins a lot on the other hand… and for a guy who will be retiring soon – not bad

45. Rugger says:

Habs played for an extensive length of time last game of the season, can’t remember the year, late 60’s when it was trying to get enough goals to win a tiebreaker to make the play-offs, didn’t work but that is the longest I have heard of.  The successful Buffalo game this year against the Habs when the went with no goalie with over 3 minutes to play is the longest I’ve seen in a while.

46. nickster13 says:

nono, i meant they are the same team, not including the stars 😛 aka the stars are still there!

47. HabFanSince72 says:

Nickel and dime? He’s making close to $1M.

48. smiler2729 says:

Dude, the Rangers will sign ANYBODY!

Satan was a positive surprize in the playoffs??? The same guy on that team that blew a 3-0 series lead and a 3-0 home ice lead in Game 7??? That Satan?

49. SeriousFan09 says:

If he goes to MIN to play with Guimauve, we don’t need him because it’ll show he’s more interested in the paycheck than the big game. The Wild are close to the worst team in the NHL for drafting and player development, their three success stories are Mikko Koivu, Gaborik (Left) and Niklas Backstrom. MTL has a superior team and a much better future ahead of it.

It could backfire, but given 09-10 and some issues from 07-08, I’m fine if they want to make sure he’s an all-year player.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

50. Slovak says:

My first 2 questions did not work so well – so – I have another braintestinghard one:

Don’t you think it would be better to let Price walk and play powerplay 6 on 5 all the time – I mean if a team wants to get more offensive and has no cap space – this is clearly a possibility – isn’t it?

On the other side this possibility is not used very often, mmmm Was it ever used? Did some team in the whole history of hockey play without a goalie/6 men entire game or at least 20 minutes?

51. Corio says:

Twitter twat ftw!

52. ed lopaz says:

I understand that point of view. That is EXACTLY management’s point of view.

There is a risk here – a risk any time you sign someone for 1 year when he wants longer term.

For those that see some kind of potential in Max, we see the risk that he will play well, and then leave!

He has been in touch with Guillaume, and he knows that there is fun hockey outside of Montreal.

This was a big moment, and the timing was good to keep Max locked up and cheap.

Kind of like Plekanec last year – remember???

Obviously the Habs do NOT feel that Max is part of their core – but that’s what was said last year about

Plekanec- then it came back and bit this organisation where the sun doesn’t shine.

53. Curtoph says:

Well hopefully all our guys who’s contracts are going to expire next year will give us career years and we can enjoy a nice playoff run again 🙂

54. TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno, I’m still thinking that a 2 yr deal at that level would’ve been better for Mtl. A little bit of a sign of faith for him might have been useful, and it’s not like the cap hit is outrageous.

Not that it’s a huge deal, but if I was imaginary GM I think I’d have added the 2nd year.

55. WarHero says:

I understand where you are coming from, but you can’t give longer term contracts based on 4 pts in 19 games. If Lappy can prove that he can be consistent for all 82 gmaes in the season AND have another strong playoffs then he will get his just reward 🙂

————————————————————————

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Lapierre still had a disasterous regular season and only saved his potential career in MTL with the playoff run. The team is not going to offer him extra money for being good for 3 playoff rounds when he checked out in the regular season. He’s getting a 1-year to make sure he can give his 100% effort during the full season, regular and playoffs. He plays well, he’ll get a better contract but you can’t afford to extend your role-players only to find out they don’t role-play for 70 games of the regular season. I say this as a guy who is a Lapierre supporter and have his player t-shirt, I like what he can do when he’s on but he has to prove he can stay on this coming season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. Slovak says:

Rangers will sign him cheap for 1 year, Gaborik wants him on team and Demitra said he won’t be playing KHL…

Player that can perform as he does at olympics is not that bad I think, his personal problems are solved.

He can be one of positive surprises next season just as Satan was in playoffs…

58. ed lopaz says:

exactly!!

as long as the core is in tact, they can re-build.

59. ed lopaz says:

theres no room for demitra – habs are banking on pouliot and AK 46 to complete the top 2 lines.

maybe the leafs should get demitra. seems like a good fit for a team looking for cheap scoring.

60. ed lopaz says:

is it a good deal for the Habs when they nickle and dime their players?

how do you think a player feels when he knows the cap is 59 million and the habs won’t budge on

250,000, or even 500,000?

look – don’t misunderstand, please – I have experience running a business with many employees.

I know that managment can’t just give out raises and stay “under the cap”.

it just troubles me, the way certain files are handled.

I hope I’m wrong, and it would NOT be the first or the last time. 🙂

I would have been happy to see Max rewarded for an excellent playoff performance;

afterall, how many Habs had stellar regular seasons – not many.

it was the playoffs that separated this team from the pack – not the 8th place regular season.

And Max was a MAJOR factor in our playoff run.

61. smiler2729 says:

Demitra’s done. It’s Europe or nothing for him.

62. Malreg says:

If he plays like he did for the first 3/4’s of last year, then he’s a waste of a roster spot even at the league minimum, so I don’t mind them playing it safe with only a 1 year deal.

63. Slovak says:

Get Demitra before Rangers.

Will be cheap and is motivated to show that he is still a great player.

Get him for 1 year – no gamble.

And get a real n.1 goalie man or at least someone who is able to teach children in nets 🙂

64. SlovakHab says:

Report says it’s $900,00 for one year.

Good deal for the Habs, I think he will outplay his contract next season.

65. HabFanSince72 says:

They kept all their stars.

66. PRICEBERG1 says:

FOR CLAY:

All foolishness aside, if Price was in Halak’s skates, being developed slowly, would Carey  be one of the top goalies right now?

Who knows, what if it were the other way around & Halak was rushed …

67. arcosenate says:

I would grab Sharp in a second if we could make some cap room.

That would be a great pick up.

68. TorontoHabsFan says:

From my point of view management kinda flubbed the Lapierre deal. If I’m reading the article right (and my french ain’t what it used to be :), he wanted to sign long term (I’m assuming 2-3 yrs) at $875k-ish, and management balked and only signed him to a 1 yr deal?

You gotta think that even at his worst, Lapierre is worth that money. If he has a decent season next year his price will undoubtedly go up. At the end of the day it’s not a huge flub, but a flub nonetheless.

(annnnd now let’s wait for tony/callyjo to start screaming how this is the worstest thing ever!!1!!)

69. pic1983 says:

Crazy how that team just got torn apart in no time.

I dont know about the hjalmarsson offer sheet match though…I guess if it was any team other than san jose they wouldnt have matched.  The 1st and 3rd round picks theyd get from san jose as compensation would almost certainly be low first and third round picks, and they would be sending a tremendous asset to a direct competitor.

70. nickster13 says:

yeah they lost like half their team, it will be a different squad for sure minus the stars

71. smiler2729 says:

Man, Chicago is so screwed! But then, they did win the Stanley Cup… won’t do it again though, not for awhile unless the cheap 3rd and 4th liners they end up with excel.

72. nickster13 says:

lol they must be bored/clever

73. SlovakHab says:

Just for laughs:

Best headline ever on Reuters: Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 metres

74. Danno says:

It should be three years…

1st @ $1.8

2nd @ $2.0

3rd @ $2.2

Of course, what will happen could be completely different than the above…

That’s my $00.02 worth.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”