Matter in hands of police: Gainey

Canadiens GM Bob Gainey met with the media in Florida this afternoon and said the team will take no disciplinary action against Ryan O’Byrne or Tom Kostopoulos. He said the matter is now in the hands of the players and the police.

Gainey said he found out about the situation when he arrived at the Miami airport at 9 a.m. today. He added that he’s uncertain whether a conviction would result in O’Byrne having any immigration problems.

1. showey47 says:

it was for facts sakes purse, he keeps his collection of jiri tlustly pictures in there

2. showey47 says:

why do they call it taking a dump when you are actually leaving a dump, you don’t take it with you.

3. kevin m says:

Ya! Then he’ll be charged with underage drinking & drunk in public LOL!!!

4. rogus says:

BREAKING NEWS: It was Tortorella’s purse.

5. Fab K says:

But you have to understand the fact that Football players do not have to cross the border to play football games, whereas Hockey players do, and this could impede their Future in the NHL if these convictions stand, and charges are pressed…

Just a thought.

Fab

6. Da Hema says:

I think this entire matter needs to be placed in some comparative perspective. When baseball players are being investigated and subpoenaed by the US Congress for rampant drug abuse, when NFL players are being convicted of homicides and its coaches are shamelessly (and with impunity, it would seem) violating basic league rules, this looks all rather minor, doesn’t it?

I have not been able to watch a baseball game in 13 years because the league, its owners, and its players disgust me. If the players apologise for their poor judgment, then let it be.
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

7. SUMO says:

In Bob we trust.

I’m sure Bob will be able to handle this little incident. Remember, he was the GM of Dallas when Eddie Belfour was arrested for being drunk and disorderly with a woman at a hotel. Then when the police came to arrest him, he offered the cops a “Billion” dollar bribe to let him go. (I still get a chuckle when I try to visualize it….Eddie wearing his mask with handcuffs bribing the cops for a BILLION dollars…haha!)

These guys are young and making alot of $$. And in O’Byrne’s case, its his first chance to taste the “pro” life. I only hope its a one off. I hope the team leaders; Koivu, Kovy, Komi and Higgins have a talk with these guys. It casts a bad shadow on everyone and its a distraction they don’t need.

However I don’t believe in making excuses for pro athlete’s. Its a privilage they have earned and should use better discretion.

8. Chorske says:

This smells of “idiot prank”.

As many idiot pranks do, this one went south. As I said in an earlier post, it’s amazing to me that more of these wealthy young athletes don’t end up making similarly boneheaded mistakes. As it stands, I’m going to dismiss this as a couple eejits acting like morons and making their team and the rest of us look bad (I mean REALLY, stealing a PURSE), until I see a cellphone video on youtube that proves otherwise.

Shape up, lads, there’s still a lot of hockey to be played, and in case you hadn’t noticed, we kinda been stinkin up the joint here past few games.

9. Chorske says:

Both excellent.

10. jew4jah says:

how about CleptO’byrne?
    and then his teammate tried to help but Tom Kant-stop-police

11. Scott in Montreal says:

skoehn wrote: “…and seriously why didn’t he just say he was looking in the cell phone for the owners number to get it back?”

Yeah that is a better explanation than the Tampa Bay police’s version – and remember that so far, their version is the only one out there since the Habs’ lawyers have obviously advised them not to say anything just yet.

Frankly, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense for a guy making over half a mil in salary to be lifting somebody’s purse. I am a little disappointed to see how quickly so many posters here (Boone included) have been piling on. We simply don’t have the whole story yet, and the details we do have don’t add up. Prudence suggests we reserve judgment on the matter for now.

12. bigjames says:

agree, this is really lame. and i am at work too! should not be wasting time on this nonesense…

13. showey47 says:

i have no idea, we just need a game or a trade so we will have something else to talk about

14. jjonahjameson says:

Kostopoulos also deserves better…i hope carbo doesn’t bench him…that would be bush league…i remember his younger days..does he.

15. jjonahjameson says:

What a bush league peformance by the Tampa police, i can understand the officers being lost, but back at the precinct thay could have handled it better….the so called doorman are also exactly that…what a joke

16. showey47 says:

maybe he took george gilletts plane

17. showey47 says:

you forgot about lats and sergei

18. bigjames says:

where was bob coming from? if it was montreal, the first scheduled flight lands at 10am (AA2297 departing YUL at 6:15am). if it was a PJ, he had to take off at 5am. who does that? maybe he was coming in from somewhere closer, like Atlanta?

19. CaptainKomisarek says:

Stealing a purse when you’re making 590 000? Too much drinking at the rookie dinner.
    Funny thing is that Price can’t even drink in the US-imagine if he would’ve gotten caught. 3 players in one night.

20. Shiloh says:

So – I think O’Byrne should at least get a nickname out of this. How about “Snatch”?

21. mbplekfan says:

good point showey.

he couldnt get a plane on four hours notice so this was a planned trip.

Planned to do what? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Higgins, Grabs, and a pick for Jokinen would be a nice plan.

22. WestHab says:

My question is, where is O’Bryne’s girlfriend? Was she even at the bar? If it is her purse she needs to speak up.
    I don’t find all of this situation very funny at all.

23. Yeats says:

Was it an authentic Louis Vuitton purse or a knock-off? If it’s a knock-off, you might be able to counter-charge the woman in question with possession of counterfeit goods and settle the whole matter out of court. Perhaps Ryan and Tom could buy her a real one just to patch things up?

24. skoehn says:

How many ppl actually think he stole the purse and the money… and seriously why didn’t he just say he was looking in the cell phone for the owners number to get it back. that would have made more sense then its my girls…. they must have a few to many drinks… and price in not old enough to drink in the states…

25. J.T. says:

Tom, I think it’s more likely Gainey’s headed to Florida for some relaxation in the sun for a few days, while maybe checking out some assets he might be interested in from Tampa or the Panthers on the lower end of the value scale.

If Jokinen really comes to Montreal, I’ll need a crash cart. I’d love to see it when they revive me, though!

26. showey47 says:

There’s no way bob didn’t know about this before hand. Two of his players are in jail and carbo doesn’t call the boss right away. I for one don’t buy it. If he was planning some sort of vacation he would of travelled with the team. I really doubt he is vacationing 2 weeks before the trade deadline.

27. showey47 says:

Hope they meet the caps in the first round of the playoffs?

28. habitual says:

Cool pic, Naila,

But … as is pretty evident, private lives aren’t when it comes to stuff like this. The headlines in the news all say: “Canadiens arrested,” not “dumb Victoria rookie arrested.”

This is nowhere near the Michael Vick situation, but to make the point about reputation management for teams and the league, look how the NFL reacted to Vick’s situation.

29. CHsam says:

Yeah was just reading about Stillman and Commodore. I’m not looking forward to when we play them next.

30. TommyB says:

“Gainey said he found out about the situation when he arrived at the Miami airport at 9 a.m. today.”

That’s an interesting statement. One that makes me want to slap myself….because now I am wondering…

Does the GM make a habit of joining the team on a two-game roadtrip? He clearly didn’t go to Florida because of this matter. He found out about it when he got there.

Holy Olli, can it be?…

31. doublerr says:

Sens beat habs on the score sheet and in the trenches and they just got more scoring and tougher! What’s BG going to do, it’s time to do something.

32. Hossa is Coming says:

I think the team needs a laugh too. I say at the next home game we all bring purses and throw them on the ice when O’Byne makes a big hit.

_______________
    “WE WANT VINCE! WE WANT MARIAN!”

33. Pat8987 says:

This is exactly what the team needed; I’m tired of people saying it was a disgrace. This will bring them together even more, way to got for Tom Kost sticking up for his teammates (on and off the ice). Nothing better than an old laugh in the dressing room for the players before important games!! And believe me this breaks the ice…..at least for OB

34. RetroMikey says:

Ooops boo boo!
    You’re right Chuck, April 11! Not February 11!
    E-mail me buddy and leave your phone number so I can call you with more details of this event. I’m sure Ian has kept you on top of things so far pertaining to this event.

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

35. The Teacher says:

Exactly, makes it easier for the charges to be dismissed.

36. Chuck says:

1994? Built in loophole, just like when the parking cop writes down the wrong time of day on the ticket.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

37. Chuck says:

RetroMikey, don’t you mean “Bulldogs Summit Friday April 11, 2008″?

BTW, I chatted with Ian last night, and am willing to help in whatever way I can.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

38. RetroMikey says:

Athletes + puck bunnies = double trouble!

Bulldogs Summit – Friday February 11 2008
    Copps Colisseum Hamilton, Ontario

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

39. Sulemaan says:

Well, I guess we really do have the youngest defence in the league then.

Perhaps signing him to a 14year contarct like DiPietro makes sense. Purse snatching convictions and all aside…

40. t1tan5 says:

haha…it’s about as likely as me playing for the habs next season.

41. planet habs says:

If O’Byrne did steal the purse, I hope he gets convicted, and the woman sues him.

42. t1tan5 says:

lol. according to the police report, o’byrne was born in 1994. Good job, Tampa PD!

43. Naila Jinnah says:

Good decision by Bob, and it doesn’t mean he didn’t scold them.

First, they’re innocent until proven guilty. It’s cliché, yes but we haven’t heard their side of the story yet and probably won’t until their court date.

Second, personal and private lives should remain separate, especially on this scale. They needed to think of the team too.

I bet we’ll see these guys involved in the community a bit more…

44. mjames says:

Not condoning boorish conduct nor am I saying O’Bryne did anything ( I don’t think he stole someone’s purse – at worst a bonehead dumb move probably fueled by alcohol) but remember the Duke lacrosse team before rushing to judgment.

mjames

45. Hammer says:

Well, hopefully they will take as much spunk into the game with the Bolts as they did at the bar. Now at least they will have something else to think of besides the whupping they took at the hands of the Sens.Poor Gainey, he needs a locker room general. Where is Knuckles or tiger Williams when you need him. They would give O’Byrne and Kop a talking too on what it means to wear an NHL jersey. Smarten up boys, you can be replaced.