Martin tees off

jacques-martin-sourire

Marc de Foy of the Journal de Montreal caught up with Jacques Martin at the coach’s golf tournament.
Nothing dramatic in the interview, but Martin mentioned Rafael Diaz as a key addition.

Will Randy Cunneyworth replace Kirk Muller?

Feature on Nathan Beaulieu

And just because HIO is dedicated to ruining your Sunday, here’s some choice material from Stanley Cup of Chowder featuring the execrable Boston play-by-play announcer Jack Edwards, possibly the worst homer in all of sports:

• A bizarre history lesson rant after Boston won the opening-round series:

• Yelling “Get up!” at Roman Hamrlik:

• Calling out Benoit Pouliot:

• A classic from the infamous Barber-Pole Uni game:

• And more wacko history:

1. Chuck says:

Just finished watching all of those videos. Now I’ve got to go take a big fat stinky Edwards.

2. Neutral says:

Gotta get over the Bruins, they won the cup and just may repeat. only time will tell
    I’ve been hoping for 18 years now for the Habs, kinda gave up on that one… it’ll happen when it happens, but don’t plan a parade anytime soon…

3. Neutral says:

If the Habs are only two players away from being the best in the league, they had better find two that can score.

4. HabFanSince72 says:

Great women’s world cup final. See the highlights here:

Japan just never gave up.

In the Copa meanwhile, Brazil went out on penalties against the NJ Devils of soccer, Paraguay. The weird thing is Brazil never lose on pens, and this time they missed all four!

5. and in recent Bruin news (ok, I lied), the cup arrived a little late for Hortons party. How fitting. Somewhere Aaron Rome is thinking “better late than never”.

So at the start of last year JM had AK with Plex and Cammy and the line was hot. Then in an effort to get other lines going he shuffled the deck chairs.

Many of us have been assuming Cole will be on 1st line, what are the chances JM starts the year with AK on 1st line again?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think Mr. Cole as a veteran and by virtue of the contract he just signed will get a long look as a first-liner. Mr. Kostitsyn unfortunately has made his bed. If he wants to be a first-liner he has to blow everyone away during training camp.

Training camp this year will be really important to determine these issues in a lot of areas. There are incumbents, but also finally some challengers.

It will be interesting, instead of scratching our heads and wondering who actually deserves to be on the first shift, or who gets powerplay time, we’ll be wondering who gets left out. Much better situation to be in.

———————————
      Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• Andrew65 says:

I can see AK starting on the 1st line, while Cole acclamatizes to the team and the system.

• JayBee says:

You can’t possibly think Cole is going to start on the 3rd line.

• Andrew65 says:

As much as I’d like to see stable lines, I can see AK, Cole and MaxPac interchanging a bit, especially at the start of the season. Cole’s new, Pac is coming back from injury, there’s going to be some experimentation to see what clicks. I know Max played well with Gomer and Gio, but he also played well with DD on the farm. JM tinkers. I don’t see that changing. If Eller were healthy to start the season, there would be a better chance of him centering AK. I’d love to see 3 lines going, and taking turns carrying the team.

• Marc10 says:

Max-Gomer-Gio
      Cole-Pleks-Cams
      AK-DD (while we wait for Eller)-Darche
      Moen-???-White

The first two lines both have the potential to be “first lines” as long as they produce.

When Eller comes back, things get interesting as I don’t think DD necessarily works well with Moen or White.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
      Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Andrew65 says:

Yeah, Eller and DD are essentially the same fit — 3rd line centre. I don’t see either of them working on the 4th line, with plumbers. Not sure what they’re going to do. I don’t see Eller and DD playing together with AK. Maybe with a better veteran like Cole though.

4th line to start will probably have Engqvist at centre. I think he deserves a shot. Decent size, and he came on a bit in the playoffs. Good enough for 10-12 minutes with Moen and White, I’d like to think.

Also think that Palushaj is close, based on the way he caught fire after he was sent down. Shows a good attitude. Not that he’d centre the 4th line, but White could do that if Engqvist falters, with Palushaj on the wing. Good energy line, potentially.

7. In other golf news (hey, it’s better than Bruins stuff right?), Joe Sakic hit a million dollar hole-in-one today. Pretty cool.

8. Love this quote from Darren Clarke today after winning the open:

“I’m a bit of a normal bloke, aren’t I?” Clarke said, the claret jug at his side. “I like to go to the pub and have a pint, fly home, buy everybody a drink, just normal. There’s not many airs and graces about me. I was a little bit more difficult to deal with in my earlier years, and I’ve mellowed some. Just a little bit. But I’m just a normal guy playing golf, having a bit of fun.”

Good on him.

9. Everlasting1 says:

One of my personal fave clips from the OutFoxed catalogue..and still reigning king of ignorance – Bill O’Reilly.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

10. Un Canadien errant says:

Anything that ruins it for Mr. Horton is fine by me. Apparently the Stanley Cup was delayed getting to his celebration.

I hope Dr. Recchi cleared him to attend a big party.

Les fantomes sont a l’oeuvre!

11. Sean Bonjovi says:

Andrei Markov’s best position is left-D on the power play. Should Subban play on the right side, or should he play left-D on the second PP?

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

• HalifaxHabs says:

they will both be on the first unit(hopefully for at least the next 3 years, knock on wood), so one of them is going to have to get use to playing right-D on the power play.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I think they tried Markov on the right side for a while, but I don’t remember how it worked out. I think PK will move to the right side.

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

• DearyLeary says:

Frankly, I have faith in Markov’s ability to play on either point on the PP.

They might play it more like an umbrella with Markov straight out from the net with PK sliding down to the left half boards and Cammalleri on the right half boards.

• LA Loyalist says:

Yeah, let’s see some freaking creativity – Cammy, PK and Markov on the same powerplay? That excites me more than anything the last several years.

• HalifaxHabs says:

We shall see, but I envision PK staying on the left side. They need a cannon from the point, and PK has it from the left side(see game 7 late in the 3rd period vs the B’s)… Marky can play either side, just imagine him serving up meatballs for PK… the thought alone warms my heart.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Marky and Pk both seem to prefer the left side. Marky is more of a pincher than PK, who can use his shot power. I would prefer to have them on separate PP units. Makes it harder for the other team to defend.

With Weber’s shot on Marky’s unit, better chance for rebounds, ergo Marky’s best for it.

For PK, you need a good reader of the play to get the pass to him, and with some speed as well. PK will shoot from the left side, top of the faceoff circle, so you’ll need someone who can pull back quickly. Ergo, not Gill :)

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• rogus says:

I fully agree that Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Pacioretty. For the sake of the team, I hope he shows it in every game this year. Pacioretty should gain a lot by the addition of Cole. 3 solid physical wingers that can finish on the top 3 lines, has me looking forward to the season!!! The Habs are going to be the class of the east this year!

• Andrew65 says:

I also think AK is more talented than MaxPac. But talent is only part of the equation. Desire leads to more success than talent sometimes, especially when you have the tools to back it up. I think MaxPac will prove to be the much more effective player over the long haul.

If it was just about talent, Pouliot would still be around.

• LA Loyalist says:

You are absolutely right. Poo and Sergei have diaperloads of talent, too. It’s being willing to take the pain of using that talent that’s needed.

• Andrew65 says:

I think we’ll have 2 effective PP units this year. Marky and PK should each play on their own unit, as they are both most effective on the left. It’ll be great to see the other teams’ first PK unit off the ice when our second attack comes out.

12. GHG33 says:

Top right of this website says its Monday July 18th but really its still Sunday the 17th as far as I know.

Wierd!

Drive For 25 Is Alive!

13. Bugs says:

Disregard if you don’t care, for it has nothing to do with all the hubbub goin on ’round here, puck-wise.
    The last 60 secs of this clip are, you will agree, the most galvanizing moments of the whole Granada run.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• solomio says:

Winter Park, Florida??

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

14. habitude says:

Wonder how Jack (insert opposite of “on” here) feels about Benny now?

• solomio says:

That will depend on how Pouliot performs

• Un Canadien errant says:

That would be a relatively obvious observation solomio, which doesn’t add much to the conversation. Of course what the broadcaster says about a particular player depends on that player’s performance. What you say about the weather when you’re chatting with the guy at the depanneur next will also depend on the weather.

But you’re missing the gigantic point habitude is trying to make. Jack Edwards is not grounded in fact or reality, he’s a shameless booster for the Bruins. So he now has painted himself into a corner, having insulted and attacked the character and moral fibre of Mr. Pouliot. Does that all change once he puts on a black and diarrhea jersey? Does he now judge him based on his actions and effort on the ice? Or is he still a gigantic disappointment who plays dirty and is gutless?

Unfortunately, with these Jeff Beck-Rush Limbaugh-Sarah Palin types, they can smoothly and effortlessly switch gears and pull complete 540′s while subjecting you to a barrage of justification and shillification. Because they have no moral centre, and no soul.

I suspect Mr. Edwards will find the good in Benoit, and explain how he’s misunderstood and was surrounded with fakers and divers, but now that he’s in with a band of merry men he’ll find his way.

• issie74 says:

Do you remember how Jack went on and on about Begin, a dirty player who played for the Habs,he was suddenly clean when he became a Bruin.

NorthTOHab

15. Britton says:

So today I visited the HIO comments section for the first time in a looong time. Thank you Everlasting1, Solomio, and others for making me realize what I have not been missing out on.

• Everlasting1 says:

yw

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• solomio says:

Happy trails. See ya next year.

16. Everlasting1 says:

A diversion..
    Relatively recent discoveries in ’94 of extraordinary cave paintings estimated to be some of the oldest (between 30,000-33,000yrs old) have been found in southern France. The Chauvet caves depict – not surprisingly, various animals. And not surprisingly to most, human/animal hybrids. No alien-like/ghost-like apparitions in these ones, sorry to say.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Bugs says:

“Relatively recent” for someone who has just returned from Mars perhaps, but the rest of us live here, so it’s not really news, sorry to say.
      Thanks though.
      And say hello to Werner from me, would you?
      Thanks.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Everlasting1 says:

The rest of you live in a cave in France? I thought you burrow underground. Excuse my ignorance.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• HabFanSince72 says:

Apparently Werner Herzog’s film about these caves is mind blowing.

17. solomio says:

Yeah well Edwards the commentator did have some very valid points didn;t he?
    Yes Thornton hammered what’s his name.
    Yes the Pouliot elbow was bad and Ference did beat him
    Yes Hamrlik tried to sell a penalty
    And yes the rowdy Bruins did beat the Habs so all in all…. we gotta suck it up.

• SyntaxLove says:

Professional journalistic integrity means unbiased, insightful, knowledgeable analysis and commentary. Jack Edwards is none of those things.

• solomio says:

C’mon mon vieux…he’s a freaking hockey commentator . Do you seek those traits in a weather man?

• You call an anouncer yelling “get up!” at a player who was just speared in the throat a “valid point”? lmao. whatever floats your boat.

• solomio says:

You mean you didn’t? ( yell get up )

• No, I’ve played hockey, I know how painful it is to get speared. It’s all fun & games when your whole hockey experience consists of playing EA sports latest NHL video game, but thing are a little differen’t in real life.

18. SyntaxLove says:

Jack Edwards would be insulting if he weren’t so pathetically laughable. I love watching NESN broadcasts just for his rambling, psychotic tangents.

19. crazyhabsfan says:

Why did I just watch all of those videos?? What a freakin LOSER Jack Edwards is!! It’s pretty bad when I would rather listen to Healy and Cole than that douche tard!

“We’ve got to find a way to beat them. We can’t play hang-on hockey. We’ve got to go out and take it to them and make plays and be aggressive. If you play hang-on hockey in this league, they’re going to beat you.”
    -Mike Cammalleri
    I think it’s time to change it up a bit JM…

• Jim Edson says:

Edwards is a buffoon and a waste of oxygen!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

20. naweed235 says:

how does this sound for D pairings:

Markov – Webber
    PK – Yemmelin
    Gill – Georges
    Spacek

I’d like to see PK and Yemmelin pair up… from what I hear of Yemmelin he could be a great compliment to PK plus, he is more than capable to protect him from the Goons goonery

• No way is Gorges 3rd pair, he’ll be with Markov

Subban and Yemelin could develop, buut I think JM might have Gill with him to start.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

• SyntaxLove says:

Weber will most likely be a 7th defenceman injury player or a 4th line RW. Subban & Gill have the most obvious chemistry so to start I think we’ll see:

Markov/Gorges
      Subban/Gill
      Spacek/Yemelin

What I hope we don’t see too much of is Gorges/Gill. They weren’t aggressive enough together last year and I don’t think they compliment each other at all.

• solomio says:

Wait a minute Naweed. I know that Yemmy likes to hit but I think he’s not a fighter. Let me know if other wise.

• SyntaxLove says:

As far as I’m aware, he is not known as a fighter, no. Big hits, big presence, but no big fights. Subban can take care of himself, regardless.

• solomio says:

I agree. I just didn’t see Yemmy “protecting ” PK as Naweed suggested.

• wild flower says:

Diaz? Since he was signed, there have been a number of “experts” speculating that he will on the team.

• habaddict_andy says:

I hear Yemmy has a tough edge in him. How about protecting a 5.75mn in Markov.

Go! Hockey! Go!

21. So is Ian still working on HIO Summit V or based on all the Boston talk did he get confused and start planning a Bruins summit?

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Okay, off-topic but since this place is Bruins Inside/Out today whatever…

After completing George R R Martin’s “A Dance With Dragons” I have come to the conclusion that he takes his greatest pleasure in creating a likeable character so he can kill them later.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

• secretdragonfly says:

Hey, don’t ruin it – I’ve just started A Storm of Swords.

• SyntaxLove says:

Welcome to the party, SF09! That’s what Mr. Martin does best. ;)

• Old Bald Bird says:

Halfway through Storm of Swords, I packed it in — too dark and bloodthirsty for me. He’s a good enough writer, but he needs to take RR out of his name ’cause he ain’t no RR. I still can’t seem to find a fantasy series worth reading these days.

• Un Canadien errant says:

My problem with swords and sorcerers fantasy is that it always seems to end up with the ‘good’ wizard somehow at the end, despite being seemingly overmatched by the forces of evil, finds the right incantation/recipe/spell/piece of jewelry to prevail. It’s like 400 pages, or almost inevitably, a trilogy, during which you’re set up one way but somehow the complete opposite occurs in the last chapter. I always feel manipulated. And the characters always have intentionally complicated names, it’s never Lum or Rak, it always has to be Grelkbrog.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hmmm, Kurt Vonnegut insists that this is essentially a writer’s job, it is one of his 8 Rules for Writing:

6. Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.

John Irving seems to follow this rule enthusiastically, in “The Hotel New Hampshire” especially.

• FormalWare says:

Sounds a lot like J.K. Rowling.

Habs: Possessors of the league’s best PK–now, and for the foreseeable future

23. Say Ash says:

Congrats, Japan!
    おめでとう!

24. Me thinks that Alexei Yemelin will get under Bruins skin when he throws crunching body checks after body checks. PK Subban will be a target all season long against the Bruins. I wonder what the panel on TSN will say about his Mocho and Yapper towards opposing players? PK is a MONSTER and will have a big impact this season. If the Habs could have a healthy Markov this season and feeding PK for his one timer. Lookout when the holizer fines netting for 20 plus goals. Habs will have a very interesting team this if they can stay injury free. Carey Price will have the most wins as a goaltender this coming season. Habs PP ia going to be explosive and exciting. This team is built for speed and speed kills. Who needs goons when the Habs can skate circles around them. It should be very interesting how JM is going to arrange the top 3 lines? Just cannot wait for the season to start. Go Habs Go!!!!!

WTF with the HIO pumping up all the things Bruins? Ever since the Habs’ match-up in the first round was determined to be Boston, HIO hasn’t stopped posting Bruins’ pictures, quotes, fights, articles, videos. Sheesh, we get it, you’re in love. I am sure Boston Herald or NESP would be thrilled such journalistic talent is available and up for grabs. Don’t sell up short though.

• Everlasting1 says:

As I recall there was more support here for Boston than most other teams remaining in the playoffs after the Habs got bounced. Pathetic, actually. Growing interest? Giving the people what they want?

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

26. geo_habsgo says:

So what kinda seats are you guys thinking of purchasing this season those of you planning on getting tickets to a few games?

With my student fees and the skyrocketing price of gas I think im looking at a another season of saputo family zone tickets and taking my little sisters along to the games with me. Not a bad time in those seats but also not the most alive crowd for obvious reasons. But a game is a game so i digress.

• Mike D says:

Try the Molson Ex Zone. Basically the same as the Saputo Zone but on the other side of the arena. Not nearly as family friendly, but a very entertaining place to watch the game. Easily the most vocal fans there.

- Honestly yours

27. Ozmodiar says:

Cameron from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, yelling at principal Rooney over the telephone, pretending to be Ferris’ dad.

I’m always reminded of that scene when i hear Jack Edwards. That voice.

~1:30 of this clip

• SyntaxLove says:

When Cameron was in Egypt’s land…let myyyyyy Cameronnnnnn gooooooooooooo.

Hockey’s my wife, the team’s my girlfriend, and my girlfriend is my mistress.

28. Phil Aubrey says:

Forget who you cheer for… That is HORRIBLE broadcasting. I know a Bruins fans who can’t stand him. He belongs in the WWE. The Bruins have a proud history, full of great players — Jack Edwards is a shameful representation of what they stand for. Can’t believe NESN employs a bum like that.

ManitobaChapter

29. JayBee says:

Jack Edwards is a piece of dung. He’s the worst play by play guy I’ve ever had the displeasure of watching and that goes across all sports…. He’s a hack and a disgrace to his profession. Seeing a number of clips of him on this site makes me sick to my stomach. Was there really a need to post all those videos? I hope to one day bump into him.

Seems the “old” Atlanta Thrashers owners are really good people. Still haven’t refunded people who bought tix for this upcoming season. Pretty classy!

31. Bripro says:

Anybody have a suggestion for who will end up on right wing this year aside from Gionta?
    Right now, the habs have Cammi, AK, Max, Cole, Darche and Moen listed as left wingers.
    I was looking at who’s left on the NHL’s UFA list.
    I assume the habs are waiting to sign Gorges, but they’ll need a RW or two. Maybe Zherbev? Or is he another Pouliot?

32. rocketsglare says:

Why is HIO still posting Boston dribble? The 2010-11 season is over and done with.
    Let’s move on and prepare for the new season.

• Bripro says:

I’m with you. It ruins a sunday afternoon.
      I know it’s slim pickings in the summer, but I’d rather not see
      anything hockey than watch an ultra-biased jackass spew more gibberish.

33. FormalWare says:

Maybe Canada’s (relatively) new Sun TV channel can offer Jack Edwards a fat contract as an instigator … er, interviewer! He has missed his calling. He could be Canada’s Bill O’Reilly (or eastern Canada’s Rutherford; those from Calgary will know whom I mean).

Habs: Possessors of the league’s best PK–now, and for the foreseeable future

It is my understanding Jack Edwards got a new part time gig doing webpage editing for some Canadian hockey’s team fan webpage. Apparantly his paycheques are coming from a Montreal based company that sells papers. I just haven’t been able to figure who would hire a guy like this. I imagine all he could do is put together stupid montages of Bruin crap on the web…..

34. Sean Bonjovi says:

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

35. Sean Bonjovi says:

double post

36. PeterD says:

Well just when I thouhgt the summer couldn’t get any worse…along comes Mr. Boone with a series of crap from the Homer mouth of Jack Edwards…now that really made me barf.

Thanks Mike…like i really needed that this morning.

HIO would make an amazing sitcom.

38. BobDobbs says:

So what if the Canadians haven’t won a cup in a long time? Fans of one team are never entitled to think in an egotistical way they’re better than the fans of another team, regardless of their team’s successes or failures. Sports is a nice distraction, but it should never influence a person’s true value or how a person perceives themselves in their own self-concept.

39. My favorite NESN clip, when Cherry calls out Lucy for being the coward he is. Wonder what Jacky boy had to say about Lucic begging the refs to “end the fight quick before I get beat up any worse”?

40. Mike Boone says:

Gray hair, bit of a belly, man boobs … Darren Clarke is my kind of champion.

Mike Boone
    Hockey Inside/Out blogger
    Gazette City columnist
    mboone@montrealgazette.com

Yo, shout out to all my homeys at Bruins Inside/Out. What up bears?

• ZepFan2 says:

TURTLE TIME!

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Bill J says:

omg imagine if the Leafs did what the Bruins did (still can’t actually type “it”)…

HH would implode congratulating Leaf fans…

Dave, Bruins fans would not congratulate us, why should we ?

• Former Jets Fan says:

Good time to be a bear! Strawberries, raspberries, saskatoons, with blueberries on the horizon. The apian decline is a little worrisome, but don’t want to come across as whiny during berry season. Of course, the plight of our polar cousins is an ongoing concern, but a bear has just got to get the best out of summer, so I’ll digress.

Oh yeah, and Team Toughness! Woo!

42. Un Canadien errant says:

I thought Jack Edwards was a senile hack. It turns out he’s a misinformator and spin doctor a la Tucker Carlson, he would be right at home on Fox News performing on-air fellations of Karl Rove. Who knew?

———————————

Love the Tucker Carlson analogy, very good and very funny!

• Un Canadien errant says:

You know that “Rescue Me” episode in the first season where Roger comes into Tommy Gavin’s house uninvited and starts lecturing him? And Tommy just doesn’t say a word for about a minute until he shuffles over to him and backhands him in the mouth, with a full windup? I think Mr. Edwards would have an emotional collapse just like Roger, even though he was just talking tough, just like Roger, if he got the same treatment.

The thought just occurred to me.

———————————

You called in punkster, Mickelson is starting to have trouble clearing his throat right now big time, Johnson starting to struggle as well. Keep it going Clarke!

44. Former Jets Fan says:

I just learned a new word yesterday. It doesn’t happen nearly often enough, and so I’m quite pleased with myself. I learned it whilst geeking out on fangraphs, and though it seems to be used in the context of baseball, I dare say that never has a word been more appropriate for this forum, and I truly hope there’s room for it in the hockey lexicon.

The word is GRISSION, a simple portmanteau combining two of a Canadian hockey fan’s tritest intangibles. Grission is simply grit, with passion.

So, dear poster, if you’re ever looking to spice up a N.A.G. polemic, grission is the word for you. Grission, or the lack thereof, is also quite useful for rationalizing away a poor performance – said team could surely be focusing to much on either the gri- or the -ssion. (Or maybe they’re just too foreign)

Sample usage : Truculent and belligerent though the Leaf might be, they’ve yet to make the second season in the salary-capped NHL. Perhaps playing in a cavernous mausoleum 41 times a year prevents the Leaf from tapping into the grission that would surely put them over the hump.

Could you imagine any one on the Habs organization saying about the Bruins what is written here? May I suggest acting like the team you support.

Translated from the Canoe article:

Congratulations to Bruins

As a good coach as he is, Martin has followed the Bruins path to the Cup right to the end.

“The Stanley Cup series is a challenge every year,” he continued.

“The Bruins are a very good team. We may have underestimated their depth. ”

“The Stanley Cup series is also a marathon. We must stay healthy to go deep in the play-offs. It’s part of the challenge. The Canucks were tested in this area, but that takes nothing away from the Bruins. ”

“They are a well oiled team that worked well in the series. I congratulated Claude Julien when I saw him in the draft session in Minnesota.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

On the same page, Jacques Martin who is all class and speaks humbly and honestly, versus Jack Edwards.

I’m cheering for the right organization.

Boston fans probably side with Clubber Lang and Darth Vader.

• HardHabits says:

Jack Edwards is a grade a french shower sack. That being said he’s funny as heck.

You can’t mod me now!!!

• Talik Sanis says:

Nah, Clubber doesn’t fight the white way.

Most probably do side with Vader, though. Just think about the first film. Really, why support a weak, short little twerp, who lacks backbone and whines about his authority figures whenever he doesn’t get his way (“I was going to go to Toshie station and pick up some power converters”) when you can root for a black-armored, physically imposing overlord with anger issues who brutalizes, maims and disfigures his enemies, rules over his men with an iron fist, and crushes the hopes and dreams of millions of honest citizens in order to realize his ultimate goal?

… Wait a minute.

46. Mattyleg says:

Here’s a Sunday morning question to rinse out the Bruins bad-vibes from above:

Out of the young new players, who is going to have the most impact on this year’s Habs?

a) Eller
    b) White
    c) Desharnais
    d) Pacioretty
    e) Weber
    f) (Y)Emelin

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I hope Max Pac and Emelin. If they do, will be a good season for the Habs.

I worry Eller’s injury will make for a tougher year for Eller.

• Mattyleg says:

Emelin isn’t even listed on the roster on the Canadiens site.
        Probably because of the 2-way contract.
        I’m really looking forward to seeing him play.
        As for Eller, I think he’ll come back strong. He’s out of Halak’s shadow, and we started to see what he’s capable of late last season.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Someone posted a while back that Eller had Shoulder injury in St. Louis as well. Just don’t want to see this injury become chronic. Hopefully heals up well enough that won’t stop his abrasive play. One could say he plays with Grission. (Former Jet, did i use the word okay?)

• Former Jets Fan says:

Textbook, in application and context! For such a spindly guy, Eller has no fear about playing in traffic. (the gri-)
            And I can recall a few instances of “incredulous stare-down” after he’s been disrespected. (the -ssion)

• bleublancrouge says:

He is listed under prospects on the site

• Bugs says:

In order, I would say Dezzy first. No contest.
      Then Weber. Kid’s got guts. Also seems to thrive under pressure.
      Pac-Man
      Eller
      White
      Emelin

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, DD’s going to have a pretty good season, and I’m excited to see where he’ll fit in. Loved watching him last playoffs.
        Weber second, eh? Hmm. I feel like I haven’t seen enough of him to know how he’ll play.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DearyLeary says:

Patches. The voting shouldn’t even be close either.

• Mattyleg says:

I was uncertain whether to include him, as he’s already pretty well established, but it remains to be seen if he will be able to really make his mark after what he’s gone through.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabsPEI31 says:

If he does, and I belive he will… MaxPac for the Masterton, hands down.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• Former Jets Fan says:

I choose F). He’s a great unknown, but if he comes as advertised, he changes the whole dynamic of the backend – instead of a few puck-movers and a few pylons, the Habs should now have a few puck-movers, a few pylons, and a punisher.

• Mattyleg says:

I think we won’t see his real potential until after Christmas, when he gets used to the difference between the KHL and here.
        Then he’ll be able to impose himself on the game. Until then I think we have to hold back a bit.
        But I’m dying to see him play!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Former Jets Fan says:

As I see it, what’s supposed to be his best attribute – his physicality – should theoretically be the aspect of the game that’s most easily translatable from the KHL to the NHL. It really doesn’t take long to develop a reputation as someone a forward wouldn’t want to cut to the middle against.
          Ultimately, I think it will take much, much longer than Christmas to see his real potential. He’s replacing someone with 1200+ games of experience, so growing pains are likely, but if he’s bringing the pain himself it will be a positive for the team. Besides, we see just about every year that success is determined by when a team peaks. He’s got 82 games to acclimate himself. He can make himself the correct answer here with a great spring.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We sort of played this game yesterday. I voted Alexei Yemelin, 25 year old experienced defenceman who will be faster and play tougher than the trio he is replacing. In my daydreams, he’s a go-to guy for Jacques Martin, and gets a regular shift with Andrei Markov.

• solomio says:

Eller will need another year before making any noticeable impact
      White will never have a noticeable impact ’cause he’s not talented enuff
      Deharnais is simply too small to have an impact.
      Maxpac. Yes
      Weber..maybe …in a couple of years
      Yemelin..maybe..in a couple of years.. if he doesn’t run with his tail between his legs back to the KHL.

So this talk of past Habs 70′s glory reminds me of a story a buddy of mine told me a couple years back. He played about 9 years on a couple NHL and AHL teams. He was with Chicago in the 70-71 season and played some of the playoffs that year. He and Bobby Hull called a cab to go to the Forum for one of the games in the Cup Final. Neither spoke a word of French, told the cabbie to take them to the Forum for the game. Cabbie says oh you guys got some tickets for the game did you? Bobby says no we are playing in the game. Cabbie pulls over turns and says you guys play for the Hawks? Finally recognizes Bobby Hull, stops the Cab pulls his keys out without saying a word gets out of the cab and walks away. My buddy and Bobby look at each other saying What the eff just happened here. Finally realizing the cabbie didn’t want them to get to the game in time.

They had to call another Cab, Coach Reay blamed my buddy, said I told you rookie to get Bobby to the game on time! My buddy didn’t play that night. He still says to this day, no team in the NHL has fans like Montreal. Too funny, i still laugh my ass off when he retells the story!

48. HabFanSince72 says:

Brian Burke is “deply offended” by a a Toronto columnist who criticized his decision to visit the Canadian troops in Afghanistan on the same day that NHL free agency began.

“I work my nuts off. I sign as many autographs as I can, I amuse as many soldiers as I can … that’s how I was raised. So I’m deeply offended by it.”

• I’m actually on Burke’s side for that one.

Had the FA deadline been July 4th 1. God forbid the NHL impose it on a US holiday and 2. Simmons would have been considered a terrorist supporter if he said what he did.

Simmons is the same guy who was pissed off that Fred Shero isn’t in the Hall of Fame

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

I think Simmons is one of the only writers in Toronto not intimidated by Burke. Simmons in no way is questioning the concept of going to Afghanistan. He was simply asking the question, when you are the highest paid GM in the league for arguably the largest hockey nuts city in the League, are you not fully required to be available on the the most important days for a GM. I realize this is a dicey topic, but he asked the tough question no one else would. Would we have been happy if day 1/2 of free agency, PG was not in North America and those first 2 days we signed nobody, including a guy we were courting all summer?

• HabFanSince72 says:

I fought the Taliban and all I got was this lousy Brian Burke autograph and a case of PTSD.

• Thurston says:

Simmons works for Sun Media, a company not to be taken seriously.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I couldn’t believe he used the word ‘amuse’. Who does he think he is, Tommy DeVito?

Was he tickling their feet and playing the kazoo?

The boys in Afghanistan would have wanted to meet Brooke Burke, maybe even Delta Burke before him.

• HabsPEI31 says:

Specially considering it’s the mostly Vandoos there… Habs fans mostly, plus the old Nords die-hards.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• SyntaxLove says:

During free-agent frenzy on TSN someone criticized Burke for the same reason, but he’s not “deeply offended” by TSN I suppose.

On arguably one of the most important days of the year in hockey, as a GM, you should be at work. Trying to sign Brad Richards from the phone hardly seems ideal.

Hockey’s my wife, the Canadiens my girlfriend, and my girlfriend is my mistress.

It’s not how you play the game, it’s whether you win or lose. The other saying was made up by losers.

• Bugs says:

I had a poster of that saying in my room. It had a pride of lions surrounding a downed gnu (or whatever) and gettin ready to chow down.
      I was like “yeah, but THESE lions are playing like WINNERS. They WON. Wouldn’t this saying work better with the lions watchin their supper escape their clutches and run off into the savanna? Maybe have a bubble over one lion lookin to another sayin ‘Well, at least we PLAYED right.’?”
      Poster made no sense to me.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

50. JoeC says:

“Marc de Foy of the Journal de Montreal caught up with Jacques Martin at the coach’s gold tournament”

Dont they make enough money??? gold tournament sounds rich!

Hahah the typo is only from the main site its fixed in here!

51. “(Alex Henry) who has nowhere near the goal scoring resume of Shawn Thornton.”

That still kills me when I hear that. Thornton has 25 career goals and 10 of them were last season. So when that fight happened (Feb ’09) he had maybe 14. Granted Henry only has two, but he’s played less than half as many NHL games.

Scary thing is that NESN re-signed Edwards for 5 more years.

___________________________________________

Eyes on The Prize! and on Twitter

52. Sean Bonjovi says:

I stopped reading that Beaulieu article about half way through when the writer described the Saint John Sea Dogs as a “Newfoundland-based club”.

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

53. longbow says:

Hey John B…..ya know all those posts you made that didn’t show up ? Well,they showed up ! Somethin’ like 4 times. lol

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• JohnBellyful says:

Just cleared up the logjam now … I think. This new keyboard has a Repeat button. Still getting used to it.
      The Scratch Your Back feature’s a nice touch. Literally.
      Sorry about taking up so much real estate when I know there were other posters chomping on the bit to say something and had to stand in line while I argued with management.
      Won’t happen again. Until the next time.

54. issie74 says:

Jack Edwards is a silly little man,anything he say’s should be totally disregarded.

NorthTOHab

• shootdapuck says:

He’s a former soccer player!

Diver??????

Say no more!

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

It’s understandable. For most of hockey history the Habs have ruined Bruins’ and their fans’ hopes. It’s only fitting that they revel in their victory and rub it in Habs fans faces and at the same time vilify the team they hate, but as much as it pains me to say it Edwards is right. Habs fans feel entitled. Most of you never even saw a Cup win yet as Habs fans still feel the Habs deserve to win the Cup by some type of divine right.

Most here wont even accept that Boston won the Cup fair and square claiming they cheated and had the referees and the whole league in their pocket. Very few are willing to admit that the Bruins won the old fashioned way, the way the Habs of old always had an answer for.

• HalifaxHabs says:

wow HH, condescend much? There are a few people on here older than 20, who have seen the Habs win the cup… and a few of us do recognize that Bruins were the better team when it mattered this year.

What’s it like up there in your ivory tower?

I am in the Halifax camp on this one. Been watching the Habs since early 70′s, got to enjoy watching perhaps the greatest game of all time, Red Army Habs.

Every team has some fans that we don’t agree with, but I am not in any entitlement camp. I just love the Habs, and want to see them return to glory. I enjoy every cup more than the last. Really look forward to the next one, hope its soon!

• HardHabits says:

Maybe not you but admit it, there are many readers and posters here in their 20′s. You have to be in your 30′s just to have a decent recollection of ’93.

The Habs entitlement thing still rings true. I think the whole 100th year ceremonies probably re-ignited much of it, that entitlement thing which is a carry over from the Habs Golden Era™, and no doubt it also inflamed contempt from the Bruins fan-base because face it, many of those Cup wins had a Bruins defeat along the way. The whole pomp and ceremony thing also smacks of the Royalty that Edwards alludes to. Somebody coined a term akin to nobody knows how to do ceremony like the House of Windsor or the Habs.

I don’t care much for Habs history, retired numbers or 24 banners. It’s past. I lived through it and it doesn’t satisfy my hunger. The Bruins are champs now. It’s time to forge a new future rather than commemorate ad nauseum. The Habs in many respects shot themselves in the foot with the Centennial. GG made his money and Gainey got holding the hot potato. The team got rebooted after that like never before in it’s history and went a full season without a captain. But I digress. We’re entering year 3 of the Habs in the modern era. It’s better than the Habs Dark Ages Era™ period that’s for sure.

• Habfan4lfe says:

“Most here wont even accept that Boston won the Cup fair and square claiming they cheated and had the referees and the whole league in their pocket.”

Not sure what planet you are on but Boston winning the Stanley cup was crooked. They escaped every punishment on their way to the cup while other teams suffered. I played hockey at a competitive level for +15 years, I coached and I refereed hockey. Don’t even insult me telling me they won fair and square. The NHL wanted them to win it was pretty obvious even to those that aren’t as experienced. Talk about your flame bait post. Good job.

• HardHabits says:

If what you say is true, prove it. Show me the evidence. If so then there should be a league wide investigation. But there wont be because it never happened the way you describe it.

Vigneault was out-coached. Had Vancouver played a trap in Boston they would have won the Cup but noooooooo, idiot Vigneault had to try and run and gun in Boston. They got destroyed in Boston.

Not to mention the Habs and Bolts taking them to 7 games. I saw nothing in either game 7 to suggest collusion.

Your 15 years of experience are clouded with sentiment. Man up.

• Habfan4lfe says:

The evidence was throughout the games. I’m neither inclined to point them out or teach you the rules. Pick up a rule book and familiarize yourself with them. Either you’re blind, naive or have a very weak grasp of the hockey rules. Your post reaps of all qualities Bettman is hoping for to push hockey in the US.

• HardHabits says:

1st of all. I live in Montreal. Give it up your Bettman angle because it’s a non-starter.

Secondly, you can draw up all the instances where a call was missed and still have no evidence that the Cup was won any other way than it was in the past.

You are another in the long list of HIO cry babies who whine a nice song about referee conspiracies, 15+ years of hockey experience notwithstanding.

• boing007 says:

Richard R
            How about when Marchand punched one of the Sedins in the face five times and no penalty was called?

• habsfan0 says:

No Markov,no Patches,no Gorges,Cammy playing injured,Ryder’s OT goal in Game 4 offside,Boston’s 3rd goal in Game 7 should not have been allowed as Hamrlik speared on play and then puck knocked down by a Bruin’s high stick…yet Habs took the eventual champs to overtime of Game 7. Having said that, Boston won the Cup..and that’s that. My biggest concern going forward..I know Carey Price will continue to excel during the regular season and will post some very good numbers. However, will he be a “money goalie” and win when it really matters,during the post season, or will he just be another very good regular season goaltender who won’t win during the playoffs a la Curtis Joseph and Roberto Luongo? Price is still very young,so the jury is still very much out on him,but losing 3 OT games in a 4 game stretch doesn’t augur very well. By comparison,I don’t believe Patrick Roy dropped 3 OT games in a single playoff YEAR.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

“Most here wont even accept that Boston won the Cup fair and square…” I don’t know if its “Most”, but the Stanley Cup in MY avatar is upside down for a reason.

* Andrei Kostitsyn is a better hockey player than Max Pacioretty *

• punkster says:

A few of us have also seen other teams win Cups. Like the Leaf teams of the 60s that I adored at the time. Talented play makers, outstanding goal tending, a few good scorers, a strong captain who was not the team’s leading scorer but was without doubt the team leader and a team full of feisty battlers who never shied away from a fight…a team with grit depth at all positions and only one designated fighter.

Now go ahead and knock my past love of the Leafs. But I was there. I saw the type of Toronto and Montreal teams who won 4 and 5 Cups respectively in that decade. That’s the kind of Habs team I’d like to see win the Cup.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• ZepFan2 says:

That’s funny. Two of my friends are lifelong bruins fans and even they were saying how the refs are finally on their side.

As far as cups go. I’ve been to at least 10 Stanley cup parades so far.

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• HardHabits says:

Meaning what? That for eternity the Refs were on the Habs side? Or that for once the Refs weren’t against them?

Fair and square.

• ZepFan2 says:

You do know the Bruins also played the Flyers, Lightning and Canucks, right?!

They were commenting on the whole playoffs, not just the Habs series.

My point was. Even they (lifelong Bruins fans) were able to admit the refs were mostly one sided towards the Bruins.

They were astonished that Sedin got the penalty that Marchand should have gotten for repeatedly punching Sedin.

Not, “fair and square” at all.
          ———————————————————————-
          Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• HardHabits says:

A few calls either way is not going to change the Cup outcome unless we’re talking Brett Hull’s skate in the crease. Nevertheless refereeing is part of the game. I never go up to a Bruins fan and say “you’re team cheated and won ignominiously.” I congratulate them. Plain and simple.

• ZepFan2 says:

That’s nice that you congratulate them. Was that before or after they taunted the shit out of you?

My buddies didn’t see it the way you did. They saw the Bruins getting the benefit of the doubt more times than the opposition.

Not that they were complaining mind you. :razz:

———————————————————————-
            Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• G-Man says:

Siding with Chowderhead because he SAYS the a Hab fans feel entitled. BullShit! Utter and unadulterated.
      You are right when you say a lot here feel they didn’t win the Cup so much as have it handed to them by Campbell’s choice of refs for the Finals before stepping down to watch what he had wrought. Their “win” should be an indictment to this bush league and how it is run.

There is one reason and one reason alone that the Habs won 4 straight cups from 1976-1980. Larry Robinson. Larry Robinson was easily the most valuable player the Habs have had in the modern era.

Why? Because he was the baddest ass in all of hockey at the time. He policed the Habs blue line. Very few dared fight him.

Now the Bruins have that player in Chara.

Does anybody think Robinson was a goon?

Well the Habs need a fighter on their team that can play hockey like Larry Robinson. Tinordi will be an excellent addition but IMO will not be enough. The Habs still need to draft more size, more size and skill, and enough of it that those players can brutally punish the opponent with not just big checks but also by with big fists if need be.

Until the Habs have an answer for Chara expect more injuries and especially expect more after the whistle scrums when the Habs play the Bruins. Don’t be surprised if there aren’t a few more Beantown Beatdowns in the next few years.

While I completely agree that Larry was the key to us getting past the Flyers, this in turn changed the way the game was played by many teams throughout the late 70′s.

Larry’s impact on the team was huge and significant, but to state he alone was the reason is just a complete overstatement. Again, I don’t dispute he was a leader in every fashion, but at the end of the day the bruins series for example was decided by a power play goal due to genius coaching by Don Cherry.

This year with Markov and PK our PP should be deadly. This will be a huge deterrent for other teams to take foolish penalties against the Habs as we will punics them with pp effectiveness.

• HardHabits says:

Obviously Gainey, Lemaire, Dryden, Savard, Cournoyer and the rest played important roles. But the significance of Robinson cannot be denied. It wasn’t just his fighting although that was a big part. I’ll never forget the time he skated the puck from behind his own net and score an unassisted goal against the Bruins. He could impose his will on a game.

The same way the Bruins impose their will.

Look at Stan Bowman and Quenneville quotes since added some grit to their line-up:

“harder to play against”

“to be able to change the momentum, and that’s usually with guys who play a certain (physical) style.”

“We got some experience, some size, some toughness”

I hear you HH, i fondly remember the game when Robinson was in the training room getting skates sharpened, he could hear the noise of the crowd and saw on the monitor that the flyers were scrapping again. He threw his skates on (rumour has it, never even tied them up) went out on the ice grabbed Schultz and proceeded to lay a beating on him.

I do think PG is starting to slowly shape the team a little grittier, reality is we can’t transform over night without losing all the great chemistry our team has. Please understand, I would love for us to have another Robinson and Lambert, Gainey etc… guys that were big tough, but knew how to hold a stick and how to skate.

• HalifaxHabs says:

I agree HH, but you’re essentially saying we need a player that is a really good player, but that can physically intimidate Chara(ie: the great Larry Robinson)… I’m not sure there is a person like that in the league right now. You asked if anyone thinks Larry Robinson is a goon? I think he is a hall of famer, and there’s no one out there like him for us to just “pick up”.

If we can’t find that one player who is the answer, we have to build through the draft… I think, and you’d probably agree, they’ve been doing a decent job of that over the last few drafts.

So at the end of the day, there is no easy answer for Chara, he is one of the leagues top defencemen, and physical presences.

So yeah, Go Tinordi!!!!!

• G-Man says:

Robinson was +120 in 1 season. Comparing him to a thug is laughable.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your post is a little bit self-contradictory. You kind of describe Larry Robinson as a once in a lifetime player. By your logic, these guys don’t run the streets. It’s not as simple as the GM telling his scouts: “Get me a Robinson, and if you can, a Savard, Lapointe, an Engblom, and a Langway also please.”

Mr. Robinson had the benefit of playing with excellent defence partners, and had a Hall of Fame goalie backing him most of his career. He had the ‘luxury’ of spending a season in Halifax before being called up to Montreal.

I can think of another player who had his blend of size, toughness and talent, and that’s Clark Gillies, and I think he was a half-notch below Larry. I don’t think Mr. Gillies dominated games as much as Larry did. Maybe Eric Lindros could have attained that level, but injuries cut him down in his prime.

We don’t have the choice of going back to the 70′s. We could go back to the ’86 to ’93 teams, big tough teams that hung together and whose ‘small’ players like Brian Skrudland and Mike Keane were tough also, but we would have to gut the team we have now and start over.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Oh, and the four Cups were 76-79. Islanders went 80-83, and then the Oilers happened.

57. LL says:

Brugly Marchand, Clod Julien, Zgorilla Chara, Old Man Dr. Recchi, weird-head-shape Horton.

There, I feel muuuuuch better. ;)

58. punkster says:

Personally I have no problem seeing these videos on the site. They serve an important role for Habs fans in the coming season:
    - to expose, yet again, the idiocy that is Jack Edwards
    - to remind us all of the madness that prevails in some markets
    I’ll probably take flak for this next comment. The objective is the Cup. How we get there becomes even more important now that the Bruins have done it their way. I don’t want to beat the Bruins in the alley, in dirty hits or fights. I don’t want to beat the Bruins at their game. I want to beat them the Habs way; beat them on the scoreboard, put them out of the playoffs and go on to win the Cup. Of course, if we have to knock a few Bruins around, run a Bruin goalie or two, level a few Bruins with a clean check here and there and maybe even win a couple of fights all the better ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

Punkster, you watching the Open? Mickelson is putting on quite a display! Still pulling for Clarke though.

I just don’t understand the need to continue to show the Bruins. As SD and others have suggested, is it not possible to dig up some info. on how Habs off-season training go etc.?

I suppose what we have discovered is that PG has the entire head office pretty quiet. Zero leaks emanating from the head office as to what the Habs next move will be.

• punkster says:

The Open…Phil will choke, but until then he’s certainly looking like a champion. Quite a pleasant day for golf over there ;)

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• SmartDog says:

Oh joy.

I can watch videos where the Habs are trashed by some Bruin idiot, or I can talk golf. My day is made.

LOL, oh sorry you don’t share the passion of golf SD, I will try and curtail my golf enthusiasm today out of respect for you bud! Cheers

• punkster says:

It’s Boone’s way of rousting us out of our basements so we can get some exercise and fresh air. He’s on a health kick and has our best interests at heart. With that in mind, fire up the BBQ, put the beers on ice, raise the umbrella on the back deck and enjoy.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

So you found out my scheduel for today! My healthkick involves light beer during the summer. Then back in winter I can go back to enjoying those hearty beers.

59. G-Man says:

Gooins Inside/Out….
    a depiction of thuggery from the inside out.
    Featuring our favourite cheerleader, Chowderhead Edwards.

Sunday morning Sickening.

60. The Dude says:

Yeppers that’s the big difference between the two teams….the Bruins goons can play hockey whilst the Habs hockey players can’t goon . And no changes have been made to this huge issue,pathetic !

• HalifaxHabs says:

Dude, you’re envy of the Bruins is what is pathetic. Do you fawn over the Bruins every year? or are you just doing it this year because they won the cup?

You know the Flyers were by far the most physical team the Bruins played in the playoffs? and how did the Flyers match up against them? they got swept 4 straight, so if anything that shows that goons won’t help against the Bruins.

But you don’t bother with facts, you just keep staring at the Bruins through your rose-colored glasses. Quick make another post about how the Habs “need” Arthukin, even though all you know about him is his height and weight, and you probably haven’t seen him for more then a few shifts of international hockey, that contains no real physicality or fighting.

Keep it up with the genius posts.

61. JohnBellyful says:

Well, I just tried again posting the first post I posted this morning which never got posted. That post is now toast, it appears.
    After I submitted it the first time and it didn’t show I tried a second time and got the message I was repeating myself, or something like that, very apologetic. But it’s never appeared. I even checked Recent comments in my profile. Doesn’t show up.
    Maybe the part where I said ‘I’m all a-tingle …’ threw the site censors off.
    Maybe if I said ‘My heart’s all a-flutter …’
    But enough about me and my little problem, how about those Bruins!!!

62. JohnBellyful says:

I don’t know why I bother but I’m such a big Habs fan that I figure they can use all the advice they can get. So here goes, once again, even if the team has ignored my previous 73 suggestions:
    Some hockey observers perceive the Canadiens are a ‘soft’ team. To my way of thinking they’re not soft but a team with character willing to stand up to the toughest challenge. It just doesn’t have a goon or two to make other teams think twice about tangling with the Habs. Hence the popular belief they’re easy touches when it comes to the rough stuff.
    Well, it’s obvious Montreal isn’t about to change its composition any time soon so it’s time to overhaul the team’s image. How? Change the logo.
    CH? Club de hockey? Gimme a break. How insulting is that to fans’ intelligence? You’re in an arena, wearing skates, on ice, with a hockey stick in your hand and you need to put something on your sweater that says, ‘Hi, folks, we’re a hockey club.’
    Ditch the logo. Well, at least one-half of it. Scratch the C, keep the H. No need to do away with tradition entirely. Have to maintain a link between the past and the future.
    So what’s the new design? Hell’s Habitants. Small H inside a big fiery H.
    I’m all a-tingle just thinking about the fear it’s sure to strike in Montreal’s opponents.
    Now, the team would have to play Boston-dirty the first little while until its new image in the league was cemented. After that it could coast on the impression it had created.
    Hell’s Habitants. Think of the amazing video game that could be spun off that. Demons claw their way from the depths of Hell and capture Heaven’s greatest prize, the Stanley Cup. Lord Stanley Cup.
    Merchandising opportunities abound.
    And I’m sure Stan Lee would appreciate being given something better to work with for the Guardian project.
    Just one concern. The initials, HH.
    Might conjure up memories of the Happy Hooker (who, by the way, wasn’t someone who took delight in taking penalties).
    Or it might bring to mind another HH. Now that would sow unrest throughout the league.

63. JohnBellyful says:

This site is playing mind games. My original post has yet to appear. I tried adding to post above about test purposes and got this message: ‘Your edited comment was marked as spam. If this is in error, please contact the admin.’
    I didn’t want to bother the admin on a Sunday morning — probably still sleeping — so I tried again and got this: ‘This comment cannot be edited because it is marked as spam.’
    My stuff is now spam? I suppose it’s a step up from garbage. But still … I’m offended. And confused.

• JohnBellyful says:

Okay, what’s going on here. The site hasn’t published my original post but it did a second post that I said was a test to see what was the problem. When it showed up, I tried editing the test post by adding the original post. Now that post is gone but the one above is now showing.

• JohnBellyful says:

Come back and find original post appearing twice. Go figure.

• issie74 says:

Seriously JB … This is the most ridiculous post I have ever read.

NorthTOHab

• JohnBellyful says:

It’s all a matter of context which has been radically altered in light of subsequent events. But ‘the most ridiculous post I have ever read’? I’ll take that as a compliment, given the competition.

And my reply to your second post is now at the bottom of the thread as post on its own. Could be because Habs Mgmt. no longer wants you posting since you are on staff now as Asst. Coach. If so, it was nice having you here, good luck with the new job!

• JohnBellyful says:

Hey, maybe that’s it. I AM the new assistant coach. Sorry, Randy. Maybe next year — after I’ve moved up a notch.
          I’m going to have remove those pics from YouTube now. They worked after all.
          Well, it’s been a pleasure posting to this website. I won’t forget you guys. I’ll still drop in every day to see what the little people are saying. Maybe I’ll pass on a suggestion or two to Mr. Martin.
          I’m going to spend the rest of the day working on some tweaks to the system.

• 24 Cups says:

JB – Seeing the word spam kinda gets me a bit queasy. Reminds me of that stuff in a can that my grandmother would make sandwiches with for my lunch when I was a little boy. Speaking of garbage….

64. Old Bald Bird says:

Yeah. I’m not generally one of the guys who gets put off by Bruin references, but enough already.

65. New says:

Coach Martin is spot on. Chara is sick or out, the Canadiens win 2 of 2. Chara hydrated (water doping? :-) and the Bruins win 4 of 5. Depth, skilled depth, is very important. The Bruins bulked up their lines at the trade deadline and had the stamina to go the distance.

Teams, at least the good ones, adjust. The phenom of this or that game is neutralized in subsequent games, but that leaves a hole to cover unless you are deep. Depth is very important in the playoffs.

Would it have been a different story with Markov, Gorges, and MaxPac? Of course. Would it have been different without Horton or Chara or Ryder? Of course. Millions of dollars and the Cup ride on it. Contracts ride on it.

Now explain to me again how the hits on Crosby or MaxPac were just part of a game.

66. JohnBellyful says:

For test purposes only. My previous post appears to have entered Internet limbo.

Edit: Okay, the above sentence showed up but I’m still waiting for the original post to appear. I’m adding it to this post and if it shows up again elsewhere I will scream (silently; the family’s still sleeping).

Edit edit: Okay, just removed content that was triplicate post. I give up. Send me the bill. Won’t post anymore this week.

How does it feel being the new Asst. Coach of Les Habitents John? Are you getting used to it yet?

• JohnBellyful says:

One of the first things I’m going to work on as the newest member of the Habs team is communications. I never got a phone call saying welcome aboard or even a press release announcing my hiring.
        HIO – always the first to know.

I guess it depends on how you view it but all of the Edwards’ videos involve the Habs. Doesn’t that make it relevant for a Hab site? It appears that MB hit a nerve here with the HI/O faithful.

It’s going to be slim pickings for the next two months when it comes to Hab news. We might have to revert to “So You Think You Can Dance” videos before it’s all over.

Thank goodness we have the British Open today. Golf is the ultimate game when it comes to building a man’s character. It takes far more courage than hitting a guy into the boards from behind to the point where he is severely concussed.

68. Propwash says:

Really? The first website I click on has a whole featurette on Jack Edwards? Thank god i’m not hungover, or else I would have puked all over my laptop.

69. nick says:

HOLY @#$% I hate Jack Edwards. Just threw up in my mouth a bit. I’m outta here. See ya next week.

• HalifaxHabs says:

Apparently HIO is trying to keep traffic away. I think I’m done with this site until TSN gives me Habs news worthy of coming back here.(Gorges signing, or a trade)

• The Dude says:

boo hoo hoo…..and let the door smack you !

• HalifaxHabs says:

Hey look, I came back because I’m addicted to this site(lol, surprise), and one of the most illiterate posters on here is talking smack to me.

Why don’t you make another post about how the Habs “need” Arthyukin? Even though you’ve never watched him play a professional league game in your life. You’ve read his height and weight stats, and maybe watched him once or twice in the worlds, and then you declare the Habs “need him”. Seriously how many minutes of actual on ice time have you watched him play? How many KHL games of his have you watched? None? What a surprise.

Dude, you’re an embarrassment.

• The Dude says:

What , Nova Scotia hasn’t outlawed your whining,negative and unrealistic demeanor ? Must be a sad place! Now as for Arthykin …after watching the clips up top and you figure we don’t need a couple like him? Well then ,that make you koo-koo for coo-coo puff’s,lol.

• HalifaxHabs says:

whining negative and unrealistic? you just described yourself to a tee.

You come on here and whine everyday saying the Habs need players you don’t know anything about.

You are one of the most negative fans on here.

As far as being unrealistic, well that’s you again living in your dream world going about goons.

Lot’s of people on here want the Habs to be more physical, including myself, but you actually post the Habs needs goons. If you think the Habs need goons, or they would fit into they system in anyway, you are the unrealistic one. Just please start cheering the Bruins, and make the world a better place.

70. SmartDog says:

I watched about 12 seconds of the first of these. I got to “primping themselves in their hand-mirror” (a comment about “what Royalty does”… meaning the royalty of hockey – the Montreal Canadiens).

It was enough to know this guy’s a total jerk-off and anything else he says is going to be as legitimate as Dr. Recchi’s diploma.

I don’t need or want to see more. I can’t believe Boone sat through all of these, let alone possibly assembled them. Something unhealthy going on there.

71. JohnBellyful says:

Yikes!

Uhhhmmmm more Bruins I see. How nice…

• SmartDog says:

Exactly what I was going to post.

I’m tellin’ ya, Boone’s a closet Bruins fan.

Boone… Booins… it’s not hard to see. And he’s got a bumper sticker on his car that says
      I heart Brad Marchand.

How much more of this can they shove down our throats SD?

• SmartDog says:

What I wonder is, where’s it coming from? I mean I hope Boone didn’t put it together himself. That’s at least an hour or two of finding clips, writing a little intro, putting them up, checking them. This stuff takes time. Time that coulda been spent, I dunno, finding Habs clips… or making a guess at who has the best shot to make the team from camp this year… or….

Well its taken me awhile, but I finally figured out what this pain reminds me of when I open HIO up and see Bruins shite. An Eavestrough Nail being driven through my left eye socket. Almost the exact same feeling.

• HalifaxHabs says:

wow, I’m glad someone took the time to post all those terrible Bruins video’s so I can skip them. It’s like a form of torture.

What did we do to deserve this, really! Maybe instead of the habs needing an enforcer, we need a blog enforcer, go after Boone and Co.!

• HalifaxHabs says:

there were a few times during the playoff run where they would post a Bruins story, and people would complain, but the fact that it was current hockey news, sorta made sense…. but why would they post these anti-habs video’s above? it’s insulting and infuriating.

Here is a great video for a Sunday morning.

74. jimmy shaker says:

Does this jabroni actually know that he’s psycho? WOW! Can’t wait to see what he says about pouliot on opening night……..I used to think strader and redmond were horrible for the wings back in the day, but edwards and brickley take the cake……..I don’t think there will ever be an asshole worse than edwards patrolling the airwaves for any professional sports team for the rest of history. This guy is a disgrace and the nhl and boston should be ashamed, but it is boston, so what do you expect?

Shaker

• 24 Cups says:

js – He reminds a bit of Glenn Beck. So far off the wall that you can’t help but wonder if he’s pulling our leg or is really a certifiable nutbar.

Regardless, it’s an easy way to make some good coin. Speaking of Don Cherry…..

75. dimitrib says:

the best part of the story was the youtube ad with the stanley cup