Martin seeks balance

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Maxim Lapierre

Coach Jacques Martin said he hopes to have three balanced lines against the Vancouver Canucks tonight and he’s right when he says his first three lines have produced almost the same number of goals.

But it should be noted that of the eight goals produced  by the trio of Andrei Kostitsyn, Scott Gomez and Maxim Lapierre, only one was produced with Gomez at centre.

The other lines are Benoit Pouliot-Jeff Halpern-Mathieu Darche (10 goals) and Michael Cammalleri-Tomas Plekanec-Brian Gionta (10 goals).

Carey Price gets the start in net, his 14th in 15 games

1. Bugs says:

Ohh, that’s why he’s “better”, I see. Because he’s bigger and younger.

Actual production is incidental, I get it.

By that token, Eller is better than Crosby of course. Gotcha.

Thanks, mate.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Minority Owner of the Habbalicious Bubble-Gum Emporium, Proprietor of the Flanneltop Pop Shop, and Beaming Tenant in Mama’s Basement, i.e., Habsbros Central: http://habsbros.blogsp

2. Bugs says:

Umm, because he takes the time to do them?

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

3. samTHEman says:

Lol you’re sooo right. Everything in that post that you just said is dead on right.

Did you ever stop to wonder why SF09 has his prospects report updated weekly now as a feature article on HIO?

5. kempie says:

He’s already had a full year in the AHL, so he should be ready for a good long look.

YOUR analysis is usually clouded by political factors. Relax Bugs. Leblanc will be there with Eller in a few years.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes, Hockey’s Future and Habs Prospects hate the French.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

8. Bugs says:

Oh, David, omg, you gonna let this guy Yahoo talk like that about ya? What? You heard it all your life, huh?

Come up here, boy. Come up here and shut this guy up cuz he’s a striaght-shooter and he’ll glady eat crow.

But I’ll be there too, Yahoo…

Mwooa-mwooa-mwooa-HA-HA!

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

David Desharnais
    Center
    Born Sep 14 1986 — Quebec, PQ
    Height 5.06 — Weight 177 — Shoots L

Lars Eller
    Forward
    Born May 8 1989 — Rodovre, Denmark
    Height 6.00 — Weight 198 — Shoots L

3 years younger and 6 inches taller.

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Bugs, I’m pulling for small guys like Brendan Gallagher and Gabriel Dumont to make the NHL. I Love Gionta but a lot of small players do not make it because they do not have what is considered exceptional strength for their size. Josh Gorges has an inch and 5 years on PK, but who’s the stronger player. Theo Fleury was tiny, but he was a bull for his size, so was Bouillon before he was let go from MTL.

David Desharnais was too easily moved in the pre-season by just about anyone and he simply doesn’t have a physical strength that would allow him to get by in the NHL. It’s all well and good to dominate the ECHL and AHL but so can Corey Locke. Some people plateau because while he has the tools talent-wise, I have never seen the indication that he is strong enough to take the modern NHL game. He’s done fine in limited call-ups but he doesn’t have a top gear of skating like Gionta does or the physical power to not get steamrolled by big players every time.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

11. Mark C says:

And McKeen’s Hockey, which ranks Eller as the 26th best prospect in the league, DD isn’t ranked in the top 120.

12. Bugs says:

Yes, those oh-so-reliable prospects list that NEVER take any external political factors into account and focus strictly on the talent never displayed in the NHL.

Yes, take their word for it over what you have seen with your own eyes. That’s your right.

But I assure you, what word YOU take, will not affect MY analysis in the slightest.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

13. Storm Man says:

How so? Please stop trying to post topics you have no clue about. You are saying Apple is going to pass Exxon as the most valuable company in the US? Sorry JR this is the real world you are talking about. I would ask you to take a look at that portfolio you have in front of you…. Snap sorry you don’t have one. Apple is fourth at 211 billion and Exxon is number 1 at 316 billion and lets not forget Wal-Mart. It was a insighful take on things but so very wrong.

14. Bugs says:

Never said anything about Price. You have me confused with someone else. Please check properly.

And I have a life. Pointing confused folks in the right direction is what I do.

Despicably despondent, my remains will say:

15. Everlasting1 says:

That’s Pietrangelo. Understandable mistake.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

16. fbkj says:

oh the ipad is a frigging monstrosity of tech, i can handle a gimped os on my phone but not on a tablet

being said, there are some usefull apps, its just unfortunate that for every good one you have 1000 horrible ones

also, ever wonder what a pic of chewbacca breastfeeding macauley culkin in outer space looks like?

what this adds to the debate, not sure either

17. GrimJim says:

Take a closer look: Cammy 0G 2A in last five games, AKost 0G 0A in last 5 games; Pleks 0G 1A in last three games (2G,2A in last 5), Gomez 0G 0A in last five; Gionta 1G, 1A in last 5. The pilot light has gone out for our whole top 6…

“What would you be if you were attached to another object by an incline-plan wrapped helically around an axis?”

I think I’ll take Hockey’s Future’s word over you and your make believe world.

Or maybe Habs Prospects who have him at #1 now that PK is no longer a prospect.

But these sites deal with reality whereas you prefer fiction.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

I just find a lot of the tech being thrown around is rather useless or unimpressive like the unending number of apps that are out there. I have never understood this interest in having a 500$ phone that has 150 features, 140 of which are gimmicks. The only impressive feature on my sister’s iPhone is the GPS app and you can get that on pretty much all Smartphones now.

I like holding a book in my hand so screw the iPad, I think the telephone made the telegraph irrelevant hence why I don’t text, I find the video/photo feature on the 2-inch screen of my Creative Labs player a laugh and while I do spend a lot of time on here, I can live without the internet and never found much use for it on my phone.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. Bugs says:

Ohhh, so Desharanais dominating every level he’s ever played in means nothing for example? And having played less games than Eller in the NHL while registering MORE pts neither, I suppose?

Small, small, small, that’s all that matters. That’s why St.Louie sucks, Gionta sucks, and Theoren sucked. That’s how that works. ACTUAL production? That doesn’t mean anything. Eller is doing JACK-ALL but he’s “better”, I see.

And rankings serve to point that out right up to the point where they don’t. Got it.

Well, that’s all cleared up.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

21. Bugs says:

I WILL give him a chance. I WANT him to be good so we can see some RETURN on the trade. So far, there has not only been ZERO return, but also NO indication that he’s a “cut above” the prospects we ALREADY have to the point where we should expect to “break out” any second.

I refuse to put my head in the sand, Aybie. I refuse. So far, Eller has been useless. And I dare say with utmost confidence that surely Desharnais woulda popped more than ONE pt in 13 games with us but that statement is completely gratuitous, I admit.

But when folks start selling the “what a great trade; let’s put him on the 1st line” garbage, Aybie, I snap.

Only natural.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

22. SeriousFan09 says:

A room fan at full power can move Desharnais around, let alone dealing with NHL defencemen, the guy is literally too weak to play in the NHL. Weber has yet to prove he can hang around in the NHL either.

When a prospect is ranked Bugs, they are ranked in terms of long-term, best possible potential. Hence why Alex Pietreangelo was ranked the #1 prospect at Hockey’s Future last season despite other prospects like PK Subban doing great in the AHL compared to Pietreangelo who was in juniors.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

23. fbkj says:

sorry robert but the app store is hands down the biggest game changer that apple brought to the table, yes winmo and bb you could sideload apps, but when the app store came out, every mobile player came up with a similar system

even the most hardenned anti apple pundits will give apple credit here

24. Bugs says:

He’s not the Habs best prospect after PK.

Not from what we’ve seen with our own eyes.

Just for starters, White, Desharnais, and Webber, from what we’ve seen with our own eyes, are a CLEAR mile ahead of him. Even the Pac-Man wasn’t as useless up here as Eller is now. I’m not making anything up over here. So sell your “best prospect after PK” salad to the tourists, ok? Cuz I ain’t buyin.

As for relying on your ability to SEE THE FUTURE to justify the trade, oohhhhh, ok then. In that case, he’s grrrreat. The best in the world. How’s that?

…gna-gna-gna-haven’t a clue about anything-gna-gna-gna…let it out, mate. Let it aaaall out.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

25. fbkj says:

goalies dont fetch those kind of returns

especially with what little leverage we had

it was entirely possible that we could have lost halak with no compensation

26. SeriousFan09 says:

Creative Labs developed similar tech to iPod around the same time, it wasn’t a unique development. IPhone is another style of Smartphone and that’s not a unique product either. ITunes would be impressive, if you could actually get any song off of it, which for a long time you couldn’t and tends to be as invasive as RealPlayer used to be. App Store? Again, I’m pretty sure other SmartPhones use apps and selling people a pile of useless crap for cash to stick on their phones to say they’ve got this App doesn’t impress me.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. Mark C says:

Tampa could have had Jeff Skinner instead of a broken down Connolly. What a joke of a management team they are! Just in love with those kids from the WHL! Yzerman and his loser scouts spending too much time scouting kids from BC!!1! Can you imagine where this team could be if they drafted Skinner and his 5 goals and 12 points in the NHL! That midget Bredan Gallagher is lighting Connolly up in the WHL!

28. SeriousFan09 says:

Ever hear of Xerox? They developed the technology that actually put Apple on the map back in the old days, it wasn’t Jobs at all, they just got Xerox’s tech because they never bothered to patent it because they were too damn stupid to know where computer tech was going in top offices. Bill Gates ripped them off, but Apple didn’t exactly pull the GUI and mouse out of the ether, it was borrowed tech.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

29. light_n_tasty says:

A young player who was already an established roster player and top-6 forward.  From the Blues: Oshie or Perron.

30. Aybara says:

I thought we had a starting goalie.. I guess you are talking about relative gains and in that case yea St.Louis won the trade because their gains were higher. The fact is though that historically teams trading a goalie have received lower relative gains than the team receiving the goalie, that’s just life.

The good thing about this trade is that despite Eller’s slow progress there is a distinct possibility of future success with him which will greatly increase Montreal’s relative gain from the trade.

We still may come out below St.Louis, but we will have made our team better in absolute terms, which was the whole point of the trade..

31. fbkj says:

its not THAT cut and dry

xerox is the one thats credited with the mouse and the GUI, they just didnt know what to do with it…

I guess you never heard of Ilya Bryzgalov, the Ducks and the Coyotes.

Maybe you can put things into perspective and show me a better goalie trade.

Also show me how keeping Price was a bad thing.

Please also prove how the Habs could’ve handled being 1 million over the cap with Halak and not Price.

Explain to me how the Habs would’ve gotten a prospect closer to being NHL ready with next year’s draft had Halak taken an offer sheet.

33. SLONCOLD says:

ipod, iphone … no innovation there…. app store, itunes, no innovation there iether… wow

very good marketing to go with it as well though. but i’ll tell you from a tech perspective very innovative.

34. light_n_tasty says:

I have to disagree with you about Apple’s innovation.  Do you currently use a graphical user interface?  Then thank Apple.  Do you currently use a mouse?  Then thank Apple.  Apple has always been a game-changer on both the PC and personal electronic sides.  They consistently spend the most money on research and development of any of the major hardware or software companies.  Not to mention that Bill Gates got his start working for Apple, and completely ripped of their OS when he started the Microsoft OS.

35. SeriousFan09 says:

Yzerman seriously gambled when he took Connolly with his hip issues and suspect hand especially since the kid refused to get a full medical screening before the draft than taking Gagne and still having Lecavalier on the books, Yzerman has some very shaky foundations for his plan in TB.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Why not? People use the Halak trade in arguments against management.

Beisdes, I was making an analogy. The Halak part could be replaced with Boucher or Yzerman. The point is that many posters, those who lament the trade and invariably use it to prove that management needs to be changed, actually see things from an indoctrinated POV if not with an almost religious fervour.

37. Mark C says:

Stamkos has scored almost 30% of Tampa’s goals this year. He better not get hurt for Tampa’s sake.

38. fbkj says:

as opposed to what then? what should we have gotten for halak?

39. Everlasting1 says:

A voice. His voice. Al’s voice. My voice. Voices. That is all.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

40. light_n_tasty says:

I think the problem is that all we got for Halak was a kid with 20 NHL games under his belt.

41. ctony says:

AK can’t be back to normal, we shed his cancerous brother.  Remember the addition by subtraction.  It’s been all over this site for the past two weeks.

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but the key is Apple succeeds because of marketing, not because their technology is necessarily better. Toronto has far better marketing for their team than Montreal does, but MTL is still the superior organization.

Montreal actually has to showcase their product in at least 82 televised matches that force them to put their product head to head with another organization’s product. The consumer can view it, see if it is superior and see how often it fails to perform. If Apple products from the beginning under Jobs new direction had undergone this scrutiny, they wouldn’t be where they are. They’ve created an illusion and culture around their product, but not one that is quantifiably proven that they’re the best technology firm.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

43. ctony says:

So, in your opinion, this team has the basic make up of a Stanley Cup winner in the next 3-5 years with Gionta, Cammi, Plex and Gomez?  They’re all signed to long term contracts and should make up the top-6 for their duration with the team.  That’s the criteria for measuring success not what infrastructure Gainey put in place.

Feel free to elaborate on how close we are to a cup and what we could do with the millions we save when Hamrlick, Markov, Spacek and others roll off in the next couple of years.

44. light_n_tasty says:

Compared to Halak’s usefulness, Eller reeks of uselessness.  Bottom line is that the trade was a #1 starting goalie / game changer for a prospect.  Not hard to see who won that trade.

45. TripleX says:

Six goals in the last four games.  Check Ian’s post on where the Habs stand in scoring.  Scoring whether on the PP or even strength, IS a continuing problem.  An incredible PP the last few seasons has covered up for lack of team offense especially from the D.

Lack of size up front, big center, coaching, pro scouting, amateur scouting, coach for the D, management, player development, mentoring for young players, and MANAGEMENT.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

He’s the Habs best prospect after PK Subban.

It goads me to think Bugs that you haven’t a friggin’ clue about anything and only take pride in attempts at being clever rather than have a pre-occupation with content or information that is factual or relevant.

Put Eller with AK46 and Plex and he’ll produce. If not he should be in Hamilton. He’ll be a very good player. Give him time to mature. Just like the time I’ll give you to grow up, if that’s at all possible cher ami.

47. Aybara says:

I don’t think you can call Eller a “useless 4th-liner” just yet. Come on man at least give the kid a chance.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

48. mike g says:

Haha, nice….

So much for the resurection in Tampa, eh?…

Gagne’s been hurt (NO KIDDING!!), Vinny’s terrible, Malone is a scrap, they’ve got no defense (apart from Hedman), and their goaltending is in the bottom half of the league.

But hey, at least Marty and Stamkos are doing well under Boucher…

Oh wait, they always did well no matter who was coach or GM there…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

49. Mattyleg says:

Impossible!! Stevey Y and GB are the smartest, most brilliant people to ever walk the face of the Earth since Wayne and Schuster!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. jimmy shaker says:

True statement.  Point taken.  I do have typers cramp now to boot!

SHaker

51. TripleX says:

The thread is about management, not individual players.  But don’t let that stop you from making it about Halak.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

52. SmartDog says:

What? No one picked him up!!!  Will the insanity never stop?!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

53. TripleX says:

You must be a geek.  That is VERY inside baseball dude.  But funny.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

54. fbkj says:

i for one am scared sh[tless with where jobs is taking apple though, Lion is to have an iOS layer, which only gives me visions of people jailbreaking their imacs and mbp’s before you know it

/effyoutripleformakingmerant

55. 123456 says:

So Beliveau is Canada’s Fonzi? That’s cool.

56. Storm Man says:

Sorry you feel that way.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

Dude,

Eller is a kid with 20 NHL games under his belt and Price has played fine, get a life!

58. Bugs says:

You had me up until “the Halak trade was a good trade for both teams” and then, it all came crashing down in ridiculus flames.

Yeah, we were LOOKING for a useless 4th-liner to be outclassed on every shift, yeah, that worked out well for us.

Thanks, St.Louie! We hope the real-deal playoff hero and Olympic titan num1 goalie can help you out a little too.

Spuriously furious, I swear as

The voice of reason falls on deaf ears of those who worship at the Altar of Halak.

60. TorontoHabsFan says:

Boyd cleared waivers. Wonder what’s coming down the pipe?

61. 123456 says:

like your reasoning, and i think you have figured out if you would have explained your first post you would have not had to explain it three times. the way you are thinking is what some coaches do (and sometimes get blasted) and not always understood by the fans.

62. TripleX says:

Apple, soon to pass Exxon as the most valuable company in the US.  When Jobs came back to Apple the company was so desperate they needed financial help from MS.

I won’t debate the quality or innovation in Apple products ( I am an Apple fanboy ) as it is highly subjective and is not relevant to the argument.  Apple is tremendously successful and that is due to Jobs correcting systematic problems in the company.

Did Gainey correct some problems?  Of course he did, he took a mediocre franchise in crisis to a respectable position.  Good on him.  But it is long overdue to make the next step which is MUCH HARDER, and we need new thinking to get there.  Just my opinion NOT FACT.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

63. SeriousFan09 says:

What’s this? Did Philly drop a lemon on the great visionary Steve Yzerman?

Simon Gagne still out, no clue on when he’ll be back.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. Hobie Hansen says:

Yo Mama.

65. Everlasting1 says:

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

66. Bugs says:

When you say “get over it”, do you mean we must IGNORE the Vezina-calibre play of Halak and the utter uselessness of Eller, and, if not ignore, never, ever mention it?

In other words, Gauthier has total carte blanche to trade away, say, Cammalleri for a 6th round pick in 2018 and we should just “move on” under the pretense that since we’re NOT NHL GMs, we would be unable to perceive, let alone criticize, the acumen BEHIND such a move? You would “get over” THAT move too then, right?

With respect,

How ’bout lettin folks criticize what they dang well please?

I’m sure what you propose would fly real good in Chelyabinsk but newsflash, you’re not in Russia anymore, ok, mate?

Spuriously furious, I swear as

67. Mattyleg says:

Did you just yell that out in your mother’s basement?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. 123456 says:

i respectively disagree – 1-2 years back the biggest canadiens issue was 5 on 5 scoring…. while the verdict is still out, 5 on 5 scoring is NOT the habs issue this year…. rather it’s the PP, a former strength.

besides a big, net crashing, physical, awesome, great, 2 way, play making, goal scoring center (which by they way 85% of the NHL teams need) what areas have not been addressed?

69. HabFanSince72 says:

In the post-lockout era it is impossible to contemplate a trade for a game-breaker like Evgeny Malkin, with the exception of impending free agents traded at the deadline by teams resigned to seeing them leave (e.g. Hossa, Kovalchuk).

Pittsburgh would be crazy to trade Malkin unless they received an equally good player in return, which would be difficult to imagine. It’s certainly out of the question for the Habs since we have no one to offer.

Since the lockout, poor teams no longer need to trade star players in order to save money. Also it doesn’t make sense to trade on star player for three “pretty good” players, not that it ever did.

70. 123456 says:

you imply getting to the cup finals is some measure of success, why not the conference finals??

71. fbkj says:

are you suggesting a walled garden approach to drafting? and a porn free franchise?

this analogy confuses my geek genes

72. jimmy shaker says:

Nope, no law against Carey starting Thursday…..If Price is good or bad tonight he’s going to start thursday vs the cubs, because he’s the number 1 and he’s got a winning record vs the cubs during his career.  I was just saying the JM should go with Auld tonight because A) Auld needs a game and B) Auld played for the Canucks a while back and would love to put on a good performance vs one of his former teams.  Don’t worry yourself, Price will be in Thursday no matter of the outcome tonight!  Don’t be so protective of Carey…..relax!

SHaker

73. WindsorHab-10 says:

JM SUCKS.

The bottom line is that it is not in the nets that’s the issue. Halak wouldn’t change the scoresheet in favour of the Habs and whether he’d be able to squeeze out that extra save to lower the goals against is debatable. What isn’t beyond a doubt is that the Habs need size with talent up front and those picks dont happen when a team is making the playoffs especially when they’re in the final four. The Halak trade was a good trade for both teams. Short term it is looking good for the Blues. Short term I’d venture it is looking good for the Habs too. Long term who benefits the most time will only tell.

75. PrimeTime says:

Would have”; “Could have”; Should have”………Who cares!!! No one here has the same info as any NHL GM. You think Burke is real happy these days??? I remember so many here saying we “should have” hired him. All he does is spin things in the media and defends HIS trade, his Captain, and his Coach. All admirable qualities….Sound like Gainey and any other GM?? YES.

Critics can spew their opinions all over the blogs without any accountability all they want but in no way does that qualify anyone for a GM post or any insight to another performance. Results show at the end of the year, not after a dozen or so games.

The trade is done….good, bad, or ugly. Get over it!!! Circumstances beyond what anybody here “thinks” they know exist. They are short range & long range plans with budget requirements and expectations in any executive office in every business. If it as easy as all think it is, then get off your a$$ and prove it yourself.

Critics are those who can’t do or teach…..only peripheral pests!

God, this site is getting annoying!!! Too many ego’s at war :(

Prejudice + No objectivity = No credibility. The result: Partisan warfare is on the rise, and truth is on the decline