Martin: Markov should play on the weekend

Pre-game AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Hal Gill | Jeff Halpern | Tom Pyatt

When the Canadiens play the Phoenix Coyotes tonight, they’ll have the same lineup which blanked the Ottawa Senators 3-0 Saturday night.

But coach Jacques Martin expects to make an important lineup change this weekend when defenceman Andrei Markov receives clearance to play. Martin said Markov has been cleared for contact and has been a regular part of the team’s practices for the past week. He said all that remains is a final clearance from the team doctors.

Martin said fitness shouldn’t be a concern for Markov, who has been recovering from off-season knee surgery. Markov’s return will provide a boost not only on defence but also on the power play which ranks last in the NHL. The Canadiens have one power-play goal in 24 opportunities for a success rate of 4.2 per cent.

1. adam76 says:

Think how solid this team would be, if we would have gotten a fair ROI in the Halak trade instead of an AHL player and a goon.

2. TomNickle says:

HANG ON, HANG ON.

You’re going by Pierre McGuire, Red Fisher, Jack Todd, Don Cherry and Stu Cowan?

Awesome.  Thank you for crushing your own argument and saving me the time.

3. mike g says:

But where’s HALAK???!!!!!!!

WE NEED HIM!!!!!

AAAAHHHHH, I’m gonna drink myself to sleep tonight.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

4. mike g says:

There’s no need to have a scouting report on Ryan O’Byrne….

It would be a waste of paper and time.

And if there was one, it should read, “Just play your game againt him and you’ll be fine”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. ManApart says:

McGuire, Fisher, Cowan, Todd, Cherry, Every French journalist in this city,  If I look it up probably every NHL team’s local reporters. Everyone I’ve ever heard really, except for about 15 people on this site.

Also, Don’t get this whole Halak asked for a trade twice thing. His agent said play or trade Halak last December. That’s once. There was no other time.

6. Danno says:

A win tonight puts us in first place in the Eastern Conference. Sweet.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. ZepFan2 says:

“It’s silly to play what ifs about situations that would never have happened.”

Yet you do it ALL the time.

Of course he could have done your scenario. As I asked last night. Who would bring the better deal, Price or Halak?

————————————————————————

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

8. dhenry1234 says:

and those dumb penalties always seem to be delay of game for clearing the puck over the glass.

9. TomNickle says:

Actually, in that game Chicago’s first and second goals were pretty terrible James.

He was busy trying to make the spectacular save instead of freezing the puck on both goals.

Fair is fair.

10. fbkj says:

without the context of TIME

WHEN things were done

im talking about moves that happened, in order to avoid very real possibilities

its easy to say “alright now that everything has settled, i guess we could have signed both!” (which brings up another point, who would be taking halperns role?)

but at the time, teams around the league were salivating over, PLEKANEC

halak was about to become a RFA with arbitration rights which changes the entire landscape of leverage…

“who do we have in our system that can replace pleks?”… NOBODY

“who do we have in our system that can replace halak?”… PRICE

11. TomNickle says:

Haha.

No, that’s just all in my head Michael, and yours, and Boone’s, and Jacques Martin’s, and Kirk Muller’s, and Perry Pearn’s.

He never takes that penalty.

12. Storm Man says:

How is it you’re not a GM of a NHL hockey team yet? You are the man of the moment. Ooops, Moment’s passed.

13. SLONCOLD says:

the fact they were still in the game with all those turn overs was incredible. i’m a pats fan but they didn’t look good at all either.

14. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t forget. We should have gotten David Perron, T.J. Oshie and a 1st rounder for Halak!

Gauthier got fleeced.

————————————————————————

15. ManApart says:

Nice try on the crow lol. I know what you were supposedly trying to do. It was silly because you were taking things out of context to try to show somthing that wasn’t there. Price was blamed when he ligitimately let in stinkers that lost games. Halak did not do that, that night. He had a good game. Just like Price wasn’t blamed for TBay this year, when the Habs blew a  3-1 lead, but it wasn’t really Price’s doing.

16. SLONCOLD says:

“Has tremendous difficulty moving the puck.”

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i’ve seem him shoot that puck over the glass for a delay of game penalty plenty of times.

17. Storm Man says:

Oh well I have no say what goes on with my Chargers :( but I do with my team in HIO Unlimited :).

18. TomNickle says:

A scouting report on Ryan O’Byrne should read something like….

Has a big frame but rarely uses it to his advantage both in open ice and on the walls.

Has tremendous difficulty moving the puck.

Has mental lapses in the defensive zone in looking for the proper outlet pass.

Is capable of holding the offensive zone blueline and getting shots through to the net but often gets caught flat footed at the attacking blueline.

Takes a number of ill advised penalties and lacks discipline.

Will drop the gloves for his teammates but has had serious consistency issues throughout his career.

You forgot to add krob’s conspiracy theories.

20. SLONCOLD says:

you sir just got a delay of game penalty for 2 minutes for making me read your post…

quick summary… he stinks :-p

21. fbkj says:

and you just replied to what i said, with what i said

well done

22. ManApart says:

I mean you seem like a relatively intelligent guy, It’s silly to play what ifs about situations that would never have happened. I mean Gauthier could have traded Price signed Halak and Pleks and they both could have decided to skip to the KHL the next day for bigger contracts…. My point of signing both guys is a true one.