Markov’s a Canadian, Lightning strikes BriseBois

Andrei Markov with Judge Gilles Duguay and an RCMP officer following Markov’s swearing-in ceremony Friday in Montreal.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

Defenceman Andrei Markov was sworn in as a Canadian citizen Friday morning along with 31 other new Canadians who spent 30 minutes aftrer the ceremony having their pictures taken with the veteran defenceman.

Team president Pierre Boivin and general manager Pierre Gauthier both attended the ceremony. Gauthier spoke briefly about Markov’s leadership qualities but stopped short of offering the defenceman a new contract – he has one year remaining on his current deal – or announcing that Markov would fill the vacanat captaincy.

On another note, the Hamilton Bulldogs suffered another loss when Julien BriseBois joined the Tampa Bay Lightning as assistant general manager. The 33-year-old lawyer was the Canadiens vice-president, hockey operations and also served as general manager of the Bulldogs. He served as Montreal’s capologist and will fill a similar role in Tampa.

1. andrewberkshire says:

Mob? In Montreal? Pfffft! What’s a Rizzuto?

2. Danno says:

Here’s the irony of it all…

Tiger Woods is infamous for what he kept hidden from the world.

John Daly is famous for not being shy and hiding nothing at all.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. derfab says:

You are right. my apologies to the 14 people who live in Poprad and are happy to have their very own pro team.

Maybe it’s the arms dealers.

character is derfab destiny.

Sounds like Montreal.

5. derfab says:

Let the bidding begin! Give him long term (5yrs. at 6 per) or he’s outta here.

character is derfab destiny.

6. andrewberkshire says:

I like how you judge a country based on visiting one city 20 years ago.

Not to say you’re wrong, because I have no clue, but it seems pretty bold.

7. TripleX says:

Who said anything about a greenside bunker?   This is John Daly dude.  I was talking from the “road hole bunker” on the 17th!!

LOL

“And I am really looking forward to watching Michael Cammalleri in the NHL. He had an awesome year in the AHL.” PIERRE McGUIRE

8. TripleX says:

John Daly acts like he is 17 dude!  LOL

He shot a 76 today……damn it all.

9. derfab says:

I was in Bratislava in 1990-91. There is definately some mob money at work.

character is derfab destiny.

10. GrimJim says:

That would be an impressive finish, especially since the 18th at St. Andrew’s has no greenside bunker :-)

“Fans here love you, win or tie” Steve Shutt

11. RJ says:

Please resign Markov NOW. Next summer is looking like another contract disaster area with tons of players, and most of the “D” UFA or RFA.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

12. goinforstanley says:

I wish the the Gm would just sign the players months before June.I don’t know how the players feel about that?sign Price then Markov.

13. alestar says:

He never really showed much promise in any of the games I saw him play in…not surprised to see him gone.

XXIV…and counting

14. ZepFan2 says:

Daly was born in ’66. Shouldn’t you be cheering for someone younger?

I couldn’t resist. ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

I think you’re looking for the word expendable.  Expandable refers more to my waistline.

16. TripleX says:

John Daly is da man!

My dream final pairing for Sunday is Tiger with Daly wearing an especially obnoxious pair of LoudMouth pants.  xD

Daly sinks an incredible bunker shot to erase a one shot Tiger lead on the 18th hole.  Tiger goes ballistic while John lights up a cig and chugs back a diet coke.

17. SlovakHab says:

Harani, I actually think he was expendable even before we acquired Schultz..

18. kool-aid says:

it’s waht stirkes twiec aftrer vacanat Hsmilton

19. SlovakHab says:

Ha! Small town in Slovakia, Poprad, is joining the KHL. The team will actually represent a different town – Hradec Kralove (Czech Republic).

Imagine Dallas Stars playing their home games in Quebec city… within Swedish league.

20. NightRyder says:

What’s Linghtning?

21. naweed235 says:

there is a full interview with Markov on RDS.CA for whoever is interested////

LOL at the part where he says i will NEVER play for team Canada… lol looks like that loss in the olympics still stings hehe

22. Radio Free Timo 2 says:

When are you guys going to invest in spell check? This is embarrassing.

Linghtning aftrer vacanat Hsmilton

23. Harani says:

Edmonton Oiler seem to be taking all our talent away! First Shawn Belle, now Greg Stewart. Arghhh!! Just kidding!

I think Stewart became expandible (sp?) when we acquire Ian Schultz.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

24. cautiousoptimist says:

Wish we could have held onto Stewart as an injury call-up for another season, but I can’t blame him for signing with Edmonton given the hard road to the NHL he would have had in Montreal.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat

What the hell gives with Mike Weir these days?  I’m about ready to trade him to Nashville for a centre that nobody wants as well as a goalie who prefers to work on his tan.

26. Curtoph says:

Ooooo!!! Excited to see who JM picks for Captain this year, it will be good to have a Team Captain again :)

Who do you think it is going to be?

I think it may be Gionta, however, I could be very wrong.

27. adam76 says:

nice!!!!!

28. adam76 says:

I can think of two things I enjoy about the above poster.

29. LA Loyalist says:

it will be someone under 5′ 7″ – and they’ll have to wear a lower case “c”  :{

30. VJ says:

Markov would never have been given the opportunity to even attempt to try out for team Canada. Once you play for another country internationally, you cannot play for another due to IIHF rules

31. ZepFan2 says:

Don’t you mean, *hacks*?!

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

32. ZepFan2 says:

I hear ya’! ;)

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

I was a total mess up to the age of 35. Now I live vicariously through my HIO personality.

34. GrimJim says:

I stand in humble awe to your imagination, Lorne.

35. GrimJim says:

I’ll play… What is a New York Yankees shortstop?

I’ll take potent potables for $1000, Alex.

36. GrimJim says:

I read her profile, it’s the same as pretty much everyone el…

oh wait… nevermind

37. wall2bay says:

Yay madcap ;-)

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

38. ooder says:

you need to be neutered

——————

88 is the new 23

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Cat, my favourite xenophobe.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

It’s an Italian rice dish?.

41. The Cat says:

Markov..My favourite player…*barfs*

42. zak says:

Welcome to Canada Andre.Here’s hoping you retire a hab.

43. Say Ash says:

yay profile :)

44. madcap_habsfan says:

yay markov :)

45. ZepFan2 says:

And that’s a good thing, him acting like he’s 17?

Just saying, I (seem to) remember how f’ed up me and my buddies were at 17. Complete idiots actually. lol

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler (Aerosmith’s lead singer)

46. G-Man says:

You do realize you’ve missed the boat on this one. right?

47. Black Jacques Halak says:

First off. Congrats to Markov.  Welcome to team Canada…

Second.  WTF are the upper guys at the Habs thinking.  Letting all of the young succesfull talent run away.  Geez we are going to be left with a whole bunch of has been and wanna be’s running the team.

That said, maybe that is what the problem was, we need new blood?  Instead of years of forced mediocrity (although last years run was impressive) and crappy picks, maybe now we can either a) Reach for the Top (kudos to CBC ) b) Sink to the basement and keep our picks…

48. aemarchand11 says:

Like in the workforce, people change companies all the time. Tampa bay is slightly more appealing then to live in Montreal.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

49. HabsFanInTampa says:

You got no argument here, Aemarchand11!

50. habsfanincalgary says:

TSN reports that Gregory Stewart signed with EDM…

Great to see Andrei a Canadian citizen!

Any word on Pricey’s contract?

Any other word on selecting a captain for the upcoming season?

51. Bryan says:

A captain will be selected at training camp.  JM confirmed that.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

52. J.T. says:

Okay, can Stevie Y bugger off now and start raiding some other team’s cupboard?

53. Chuck says:

True. It looks like the Habs have been doing something right all along… aside from holding on to their management talent, that is.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

54. TripleX says:

Apparently PG has already replaced him with 58 year old Larry Carriere a former Dman for the Sabres.

Correction:  Larry is new Assistant GM not a replacement for the Hamilton GM

55. Mark C says:

Jerry McGuire got more people to follow him out the door than Stevie has. What kind of backdoor, Nixon type deal did Holland make with Stevie Y not to raid HockeyTown’s talent?

56. HabsFanInTampa says:

The Tampa Bay Bulldogs, oops I mean Lightning, are going to be a force this season!

57. mike g says:

Would love to see a picture of Markov being sworn in as a citizen….

But not just a regular picture. One with him wearing a good’ol Canadian knitt x-mas sweatter, wearing one of those beaver hats with the tail on the back, his right hand in a hockey glove on top of whatever book they make you hold, and him holding a poutine with his left hand.

That would be one heck of a photo, especially knowing that Andrei looks a little like Mr. Bean.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

58. mike g says:

Thanks alot…

But I’d be really happy if someone could photoshop that picture and include all of my demans above, lol…

Anyways, thnx again.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

59. HabsFanInTampa says:

Nice pic. But, too bad he’s blocking the Canadiens flag and not the Nordiques flag instead. :)

The photographer knew what he was doing, they are professionals. Any way possible to cut the throat that feeds them in Canada.

61. adam76 says:

Would have been an ideal time to announce him as captain.

Hal Gill is our new Captain. Maybe!

63. mike g says:

Not really…

It would be a major announcement, one that deserves and would demand a ton of interest. Friday’s, along with Saturdays, are the worst possible days to announce major moves like this. The story won’t get covered nearly as much as it would if it was announced between Sunday and Thursday.

Unless you’re announcing something you don’t want to be discussed alot (a firing, negative news, etc…) or you just don’t want the media going nuts about it, then the weekend is fine. But a major, positive move like this deserves weekday talk-show/media coverage.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

64. otter649 says:

Larry Carriere now in as Montreal’s new asst GM as well as in charge of player personnell……..

Whoa Baby – What’s Going On In Pennsylvania…..(Bob Cole)

65. Sportfan says:

What a cool way to become a Canadian by get a picture with one of our best defensemen haha

66. Les Habitants says:

Great news!

So Marky can pull a Brett Hull and play for team Canada in the next Olympics?

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

67. ooder says:

can’t since he played for Russia already.

can’t just hop around like that according to the IIhf rules.

there were some exceptions like Nabkov who was born in Kazakhstan but plays for Russia

——————

88 is the new 23

68. oshawahabsfan says:

Woah, the headline made me think Tampa Bay were going Full Breezer.

69. Les Habitants says:

Gotcha.

So players like our old buddy Paul Dipietro who never played for their home country can play for whatever country they have a citizenship from.

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

70. ooder says:

pretty much…

he might go get a Mozambique citizenship and then captain them to a gold medal in the 4th division

——————

88 is the new 23

71. Les Habitants says:

Not sure if you remember but Dipietro played for the Habs in their 93 cup run, was a Canada citizen who moved to Switzerland to play hockey and married a Swiss woman, he then received a Swiss citizenship and played with the Swiss Olympic team and scored 2 goals against Canada when the Swiss upset Canada in 2006

Not sure if the Mozambique comment was a joke that went over my head, so forgive me if you already knew this :0)

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

72. GrimJim says:

If I remember correctly political PR flaks call it “throwing out the Friday trash”