Markov will be only Hab at All-Star Game

The NHL has announced the Eastern Conference roster for the 2008 All-Star Game in Atlanta and the only Hab on the roster is defenceman Andrei Markov, who was voted in as a starter. Alex Kovalev, whom Guy Carbonneau said should be considered since he is having an excellent season, was not on the roster.

View the full roster here.

1. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I don’t sit there and watch the commercials, i’m usually pacing the floor waiting for the game to get back on…so I can’t comment on their marketing target audience.

not a big deal, we all know (and from the dynasty years) it takes more than just the ‘french canadien’ element to win the cup.

As far as the true identity of Canada…its the MONTREAL Canadeins.

and for Bouilion…he destroyed tucker and hits and fights. don’t knock him because NO defenseman on the leafs does that. Latron is good around the net and in the corners, you don’t need speed for that and Begin when healthy will give his left arm for the team.

cheers.

———
    1. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans.
    2. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”.
    3. Delenda Est Torontium….

2. mrstewart61 says:

I have been watching RDS over TSN or CBC for years. They don’t seem to have noticed. :)

3. PureGuava says:

Hey man, I love RDS as much as the next Habs fan, but could do without all the Latrendesse, Begin, and Boullion vignettes they are so eager to wedge down my throat every commercial break – If you’re telling me that the identity of The Montreal Canadiens is a 20 year old kid that can’t skate or pass, a 5’7 defensemen that sits somewhere between 5th and 7th on your depth chart, and a utility forward mostly used on the bottom two lines – then it’s no better then Don Cherry or Glen Healy yammering on about the Great One’s…..Darcy Tucker and Sir Wade Belak.

4. Higgins21 says:

I agree with you. RDS is great. Although I’m not bilingual, I’d sooner watch the Habs on RDS than listen to the dimwits on TSN. (esp. Healy and McGuire).

5. ZepFan2 says:

No problem.

Just helping out a fellow Habs fan!

6. Da Hema says:

I admire your initiative (although I still dislike your name). Unfortunately, TSN panders to numbers, and at this point, and I am sure it is true, Leaves fans outnumber others. I consider it utterly unprofessional how TSN and CBC cover hockey–especially for two networks claiming to be “national”–but they can do as they please now that I have NHL Centre Ice and other sport network choices. If TSN wishes to lead every broadcast with a story about Matt Stajan or some other Leaf detritus, they can go ahead and do so. It is laughable actually.

The good news: the Leaves are in such serious organisational trouble–no notable young players on the farm, no high draft picks for the next few years because of bad trades, a serious salary structure problem, and management idiocy–that Toronto will be years in the cellar. So if all of those Leaves fans want to suffer watching a crappy hockey team, then all the power to them.
    _________________________________________________________
    “We’re looking forward to building the type of team the Rangers are able to buy.”
    –Phoenix GM (and former Hab) Bobby Smith

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

anything to further our cause….the return of Les Canadien to National Glory!

I pay $5/month for RDS….best $5 i’ll ever spend….ever.

———
    1. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans.
    2. Your not a Hab fan till you watch & UNDERSTAND “The Rocket”.
    3. Delenda Est Torontium….

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

Captain Kovalev, that is nice.

He is playing vert well this season.

Hey MHF – I took your question seriously and surveyed the Leaf roster. Looking at what we need and also keeping in mind the cap as you suggested, I would honestly and objectively have to say there are no Leafs I would be interested in. Even if we were able to pull a Courtnall-Kordic type swindle. They have a few good kids, but not many, and I’m assuming they wouldn’t want to trade them. However, I would be interested in trading them some Hab players for their first round pick this year.

The Original 24 Cups

10. TradeRyder says:

Hey Habs fans…

Tired of the way TSN panders to the Laffs? I am. How many of you would be willing to cancel your TSN subscription? I would. I am Soooooooooooooo tired of all the Leafs coverage and the poor Habs coverage. Paul Maurice farts and we get to hear about it.

My French is bad; I only understand half of what’s said, but I’d drop TSN and just watch RDS if others would join with me and we could make it a movement. I could make a website for it…http://www.boycottTSN.com Anyone with me??

_____________________________________________________________
    Let the kids play… let the non-performers watch or walk.

11. A. Berke says:

I agree with you Y a 100%. It’s nothing but a glorified popularity contest in the first place. The play itself is a joke with anywhere from 20 to 30 goals are scored, more like a football game. That’s boring to watch.

All star games were meaningful in the older days when the allstars played the reigning Stanley Cup winners. Those games were more like a hockey games then.

Ali B.

12. A. Berke says:

24 C : Will Pronger be playing? He’ll be on the other side and despite being a good player, he’s a goon as well.

Cheers,

Ali B.

13. MatttheHabsFan says:

Who on that roster would you want on the Canadiens (contracts being taken into consideration)?

14. Rugger says:

This is a good thing – keep flying under the radar until the play-offs.

15. ZepFan2 says:

Timo, it’s 31

Y – My thoughts exactly. And Markov, please stay healthy – that’s all I ask of you. At least Chara will be playing on the same team as you so you’ll be safe in that regard.

The Original 24 Cups

17. MatttheHabsFan says:

You know its Mike Richards from Philly and not Brad from Tampa right???

18. Y says:

So what, just as a lot of other people have said, it’s just a glorified popularity contest. Haven’t watched one in almost 10 years. Glad that the guys are going to get some R&R.

19. Y says:

Hey are you the same Kovalev-obsessed girl from the official Habs forums?
    Been a long long time since I visited that place.

20. Sulemaan says:

I second that motion Scotty.

21. Da Hema says:

Sportsnet is reporting Ferguson’s days are numbered in Toronto. D-uh….
    _________________________________________________________
    –Phoenix GM (and former Hab) Bobby Smith

22. oshawahabsfan says:

So much for it going by the votes, Kovalev had more than St. Louis and Spezza. The skills competition would have been so much better with Kovy in it that’s for sure, he’d show them up in the target shooting, probably in the stick handling, and there’s a new saucer passing drill I’m sure he could do well in that as well. Ah well hopefully Markov takes part in something.

23. habfan53 says:

By the way here are the stats

KOVALEV 19 G 22A 41PTS +6 29th in scoring

HEATLEY 25 30 55 +31 7th

SPEZZA 15 37 52 +21 10th

ST-LOUIS 17 34 51 +2 11th

RICHARDS 19 28 47 +12 18th

24. habfan53 says:

I don’t think it is set in stone any longer about EACH team being represented but they(NHL) still try to keep fan interest in each franchise location.

Huet is not in because DiPietro and Vokoun are the only representives for the Isles and Panthers.
    On defence Campbell and Kaberle are their teams reps so that would leave Gonchar and Timonen that Komisarek could replace.
    As for Kovalev, Kovalchuck is 2nd in scoring and Hossa is from Atlanta, Gomez, Staal and Ovetchkin are team representatives and St-Louis, Spezza, Heatley and Richards ALL have better stats than Alex.

The same argument can be made for Sundin which is why Kaberle is going.

I think All three habs know that they could be going. Hopefully management will let them know their work in the first halfhas been appreciated.

25. CH1909-2009 says:

Gomez? Hossa? Richards?

Based on this half-season?

What a joke….

GO HABS GO

26. Sulemaan says:

Your post made me laugh 08. When I read the last line it reminded of the line ‘To the Batmobile’! Long week…

27. Habs_008 says:

I like how they do it in the NFL, they do it after the season. But the hockey season is too long, so they game will prolly be played in July or something. I dont see a need to stop the season for an all-star game in the middle of it. They should do it after the Cup final, and they should pick players that deserve to go, it shouldnt matter if every team is represented or not, thats stupid. There is a Shoot-out competetion going, looks interesting, I will watch the highligts of it.

28. joe-hab-nuno says:

J.T., where is that picture from?

29. J.T. says:

I would have watched it if Kovalev had been included. I don’t care now…as I haven’t in most years past either.

30. joe-hab-nuno says:

It’s a good thing there is only 1 player going. The all-star game is a waste of time. The team gets a rest except for Markov. Most players would take the day off rether then go to the all-star game. They do it fot the fans if they are choosen. Look at Luongo,even though his excuse isn’t that strong, i would agree if she was due really close to the all-star game but she his due sometime in april which is quiet far, but hey, it’s his choice.

The all-star game is mostly for the kids. It’s been years that the all-star game meant something special for me.

31. Habs_008 says:

Maybe we can get Sundin for Ryder, one for one! Leafs get a scorer they need, and the habs get a Big centre they need. ITS FAIR! haha, not even JFJ is that stupid…..actually he might be, Bob, to the phones!

32. TommyB says:

Why would anyone be shocked at the AllStar rosters? This is what happens when players are selected by: Fans balloting, and Bettman’s boys filling out the remaining spots.

All Stars should be selected based on their own merits and performance rather than by popularity contest.

33. MatttheHabsFan says:

I obviously have a biased perspective….but to me Komi would be much more deserving then Kaberle.

34. MatttheHabsFan says:

As crazy as it is I could honestly see the Leafs making a ridiculous trade if they even manage to put 2 or 3 wins together at some point. Possible Leaf targets…Martin Lapointe, Daryl Sydor…who else is old and overpaid?????

35. Scotty90 says:

HABS…… the way you guys are playing… you are all real ‘All-Stars’ in my eyes.

36. Da Hema says:

Hopefully Kovalev knows we Habs fans appreciate the way he is playing. Take the rest Alex. You have earned it. It also says much about Carbonneau as a coach and man when he says Kovalev should be at the all-star game.
    _________________________________________________________
    –Phoenix GM (and former Hab) Bobby Smith

37. MatttheHabsFan says:

It should also be noted that in a blockbuster move the Leafs picked up Dominic Moore…

38. Thuymi Do says:

Ok this really sucks BIG TIME…guys that got less votes are going and not kovalev? Paddock, with no offence, is a morr***

“w-Alex Kovalev, Montreal, 67,340 -didnt make it

Jason Spezza, Ottawa, 62,595-made it
    Marian Hossa, Atlanta, 58,991-made it
    w-Mike Richards, Philadelphia, 55,145-made it
    Martin St. Louis Tampa Bay, 47,798-made It
    Eric Staal, Carolina, 35,179-made it
    Scott Gomez, N.Y. Rangers, 26,936-made it”

hellllo? find the mistake

39. Sulemaan says:

Unless the Leafs trade Pogge to Islanders for Chris Simon.
    Wouldn’t put it past them given their trading track record…

40. MatttheHabsFan says:

Thanks for that important contribution.

41. The Teacher says:

I could care less about Getzlaf..

Hamrlik deserves it…not Komi, not this year anyways.

42. REB says:

I hate to bring this up, but you KNOW it’s coming….Getzlaf was picked and AK46 was not.

43. MatttheHabsFan says:

I would have liked to see Kovalev (or Komisarek for that matter) at the game instead of Hossa or Kaberle but really I echo everyone’s sentiments that the rest is probably a lot more important for these guys.

Also, how exactly did Sundin not make it, but Kaberle did? Is it possible that Sundin quietly asked not to be included, because Kaberle certainly does not deserve to be there.

44. drecha says:

It’s like sending the Lamb to the slaughter house!!

GoHabsGo!!!

45. rogus says:

Lundqvist sits while Scott “I can’t buy a goal in NY” Gomez goes??? Picked the wrong one there.

46. JB_15 says:

I think this is actually really good. I think that its best that no one up front got selected, because that means theyre all together. When you send say 1 or 2 guys, say koivu and kovalev, that sorta puts your top two guys in a different headspace than the rest. Here, everyone is focused, no lines are getting split up, no is acting differently down the stretch because they are an “all star” – our forward lines live and die together, and I think this was the best case scenario. The last thing we need is one of top achievers losing his focus gaffawing it up with other superstars for a few days in the middle of a very important season. I think the rest will do them good, and they should be very proud of their work so far.

47. Habs_008 says:

No Worries, when the game is in MTL they will bring more habs on board. the Maple Laffs just called up Justin Pogge, poor kid doesnt know what he is getting into.

48. eyhp says:

Total BS, Kovy should be on the team, not Hossa. They chose Hossa because the game is in Atlanta.

49. Odie Clegorn says:

Rest up boys, the season begins after this beer sales convention!

50. Sakus Evil Twin says:

For recognitions sake I would have LOVED to have seen Kova in the skills competition, but I’m secretly very happy that almost the whole team gets a break and some well earned rest.

I have a feeling that the kids will be featuring in many All Star games to come.