Markov vows he’ll be better than ever

The surgical scar is clear to see on Andrei Markov’s right knee today. Less visible is a shorter scar, from his first surgery, which runs parallel.
Pierre Obendrauf, Gazette

Stubbs column on Andrei Markov

Markov interview (20 minutes)

Andrei Markov vows to return from knee rehabilitation – again – better than ever, and says that there’s been no discussion about his contract status, the Russian defenceman eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Markov met the Montreal media today for the first time since his second ACL tear suffered in less than seven months, saying his visit to the Bell Sports Complex dressing room was his first since the Nov. 13 injury sent him to the operating room once more.

There’s been much speculation about what actually caused the injury, some suggesting Markov was hurt before he ever made contact in the corner of the rink with Carolina’s Eric Staal. Markov said today that his skate was caught in a groove in the ice and his leg twisted awkwardly, the blade stuck in the ice, when he fell in the other direction upon contact with Staal.

The 32-year-old was in good spirits, saying he’s rehabbing four-plus hours a day.

OU38-GqdA04

ANDREI MARKOV’S AGONY & ECSTASY

May 12, 2007: Playing for his native Russia, sprains left knee when struck knee-on-knee by Finland’s Sean Bergenheim at IIHF World Championship in Moscow

May 28, 2007: Signs four-year, $23-million contract as unrestricted free agent with Canadiens

Jan. 27, 2008: Elected a starter in NHL’s 56th All-Star Game, Atlanta

Jan. 25, 2009: Elected a starter in NHL’s 57th All-Star Game, Montreal

April 4, 2009: Suffers left knee injury vs. Maple Leafs in Toronto when checked into boards by Mikhail Grabovski, misses final four games of regular season and all four games of playoffs, Canadiens swept by Boston

Oct. 1, 2009: Suffers lacerated tendon in left foot in goal-crease collision with goalie Carey Price during season’s first game in Toronto, misses 35 games following surgery

Dec. 19, 2009: Returns to action on Long Island vs. New York Islanders, scores twice in 3-0 Canadiens win, including game-winner

Feb. 12-13, 2010: Misses final two games before Olympic break with unspecified lower-body injury, but is cleared to play and represents Russia in Vancouver Olympics

April 30, 2010: Suffers season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament in right knee during Game 1 of Eastern Conference semifinal vs. Penguins in Pittsburgh when hit into boards by Penguins’ Matt Cooke

May 5, 2010: Has right ACL and meniscus repaired in Cleveland, surgery performed by orthopedic surgeon Anthony Miniaci

July 16, 2010: Becomes Canadian citizen

Oct. 30, 2010: Returns to action at home vs. Florida Panthers, having missed first 10 games of 2010-11 season

Nov. 13, 2010: Suffers season-ending torn ACL in right knee in Bell Centre game after colliding with Carolina’s Eric Staal

Dec. 8, 2010: Has right ACL repaired in Birmingham, Ala., surgery performed by orthopedic surgeon James Andrews

July 1, 2011: Eligible to become an unrestricted free agent

1. mike g says:

Good stuff Markov….

I think we should all take a nice look at this guy. A real pro athelete, one who cares about his team and the organization.

After a slicing his ankle tendon, he works hard to rehab for 6 months and suceeds.

After returning, and finally regaining his stride, he tears his acl shortly after. Rehab for 6 months once again.

After returning from those 2 injuries, and rehabbing like a monster and over 12 months, he tears the same acl.

Now put yourself in his shoes. Here’s a 32 year old Russian, who’s made tons of money playing hockey, and who’s knee is hanging by a string again. Decision time; rehab for yet another 6-8 months and hope it works out, or call it quits while the legs can still work somewhat properly for the rest of your days? What would you have done?

I must say, I admire him. He owes us nothing anymore. He gave this franchise all he could when he played here, and didn’t take many nights off like some stars do. When he got injured seriously, he worked hard and came back; not an easy thing to do. He could have finally chosen to end his career, since his knee has taken serious abuse and may cause him problems in the future. He could’ve also chosen to retire simply because close to 20 months of constant rehab in 2 years is simply exausting psychologicly and might not even work out in the end if the knee doesn’t respond when it hits the ice.

But, he doesn’t care. He keeps his head up, knows the challenges and long months of more rehab ahead, and wants to return.

Like I said above, he owes us nothing. When he played, he left whatever he had on the ice, and in the past 2 years, in the gym. But him deciding to rehab the knee again and work his butt off to come back and play again, when he knows it might not even work, well that just puts a smile on my face.

I’m sure anyone who’s had to rehab a serious injury knows just how tough it is on so many levels. Your mind gets tired of the routine, your body just wants to move the way it could before, and most of all you just want to friggin’ get back to what you love doing.

And in Andrei’s case, that’s obviously playing hockey.

I love seeing players with this much passion. You guys might say he’s 32 and would have been dumb to retire. That’s not the point. Tearing the same acl twice in a year isn’t only a serious injury. It’s sometimes the final injury.

So I think we can all agree that we have a warrior in Markov.

A player who wants to do nothing else but finally be able to put on his jersey and play hockey again.

And having a guy like that on my team is just awsome.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

2. vic says:

I am glad to see SK and OBurne doing well and  am sure AK will do well with another team.

I wonder who is next. Cammy?

“Let me know where you’re sittin’ and I’ll head over to say Hi. I’ll also somewhat creep out whoever you’re with. I speak from experience.”

JD – Your post reminds me that I owe you a bit of an apology concerning last fall’s Summit.  You were  sitting a few seats down from where my wife and I were situated.  I wanted to slide over and say hello.  Before I coud get out of my seat, my wife inquired as to who you were and why there was an empty seat beside you. I mentioned that you were an investment broker and that the empty seat belonged to Bernie Madoff.

I think you can fill in the blanks.  Let’s just say that I owe you a Harp lager at Hurley’s next year.

4. Graves says:

You know what’d be awesome next season? If management can somehow finally pry Yemelin out of Russia and pair him with a fully recovered Markov inked to a new contract. Then the top four would look something like Markov-Yemelin, Gorges-Subban. Sure, there are a tonne of roadblocks in the way of this scenario, but a guy can dream, can’t he?

5. JD_ says:

* Is it possible Markov’s fakin’ it cause he wants to be traded? To quote Team 990’s Randy Tieman, “I dunno. I just don’t know. Do you know? Cause I don’t know. Could be. I dunno.”

* Are we to continue callin’ it the Battle of Ontario? I mean, c’mon, were Semin and Staal fightin’? Bah, in the absence of a better suggestion, I’m callin’ it the Dissonance of Ontario. Bloody mess.

* Read that all 275,000 tickets for the 2012 WJC in Alberta have flown out the door. What’s the matter with these thousands upon thousands of people and presumably a scalper or two? Don’t they know they shouldn’t be interested in the WJC because its popularity is a fabrication contrived by greedy executives at Hockey Canada and TSN? At least, that’s what some sports columnists told me to believe. St00pid hockey fans.

* This whole flu thing is one big whitewashed coverup. My sources are tellin’ me that if you take the letters in strep throat and mix ‘em around, you yield sport threat. Clearly, the Gazette’s sportswriters are under some form of duress and have been forced to communicate Cammy’s trade demand via code.

Secure the perimeter.

* And now MaxPac is bein’ traded. The place is fallin’ apart.

* A couple of days ago, while givin’ some speech in San Jose, NHL commish Gary Bettman commented on Steckel’s hit to Crosby’s head, “It was the view of the 150 years’ of experience our hockey operations department has that it didn’t warrant it [a suspension].” Well, there’s yer effin’ problem right there, Gary: The guy who makes these decisions is well over 150 years old. What the hell? The dude’s in no position to judge these things. St00pid NHL.

* Speakin’ of tickets, one for Chipchura’s return next weekend just very generously fell into my lap. Nice. Let me know where you’re sittin’ and I’ll head over to say Hi. I’ll also somewhat creep out whoever you’re with. I speak from experience.

6. DarthWade says:

I don’t know if this was posted already, but apparently AK asked to speak to the Coach:

Could this be the end of the K era?

I hope Markov gets better and I hope he stays in Montreal. I feel bad for the guy.

7. Mark C says:

A career SV% of .917% isn’t elite.

8. RetroMikey says:

No, but based on his career statistics, he is an elite goalie.

Check his stats.

You of all people show know better.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

9. RetroMikey says:

Ouch!  That hurt punkster!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

10. HabFanSince72 says:

1. How dare you suggest otherwise?

2. OK.

3. No, SK was never going to come good here.

4. Yes, but the real culprits are the players themselves.

5. Don’t understand the question.

11. mike g says:

Why does everyone ignore Auld?…

lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

12. Bill says:

1. True, if terms are reasonable

2. True

3. N/A – shouldn’t have gotten rid of either

4. TRUE, never saw a worse coach for young players.

5. Lost more than won by a considerable margin. Few Knights short of a Crusade? We’re a few bullets short of a drive-by.

\Full Breezer 4 Life

13. thehabsfan29 says:

1.T

2.T but need more offense!

3.F. both should be shipped

4. both are equally responsible

5.F

14. patience is a virtue says:

1. TRUE

2. True

3. False

4. N/A – Falsely presumes we have lovst good young players for little return

5. False about the trades, true about the knights, but their names are PK Subban, Max Pac and Lars Eller.  They just need some time to learn to joust in the big leagues.

15. patience is a virtue says:

Well said indeed.  Sign him.  He is one of the best defensemen in the NHL and worth the risk.

16. ProHabs says:

I keep coming on this site hoping and hoping to finally read “Habs trade AK46″.

17. Mark C says:

Ribeiro: Took until his second year in Dallas to improve on his MTL numbers and a lot the increased production was due to additional ice time.

Robidas: Took 7 seasons before he turned into the player he is today.

Rdyer: Are you kidding? His best seasons were has a Hab.

Samsonov: Another joke right? Was even worse on his next team, and has had one 40 point season since.

Grabo: Played in 27 games for MTL, must have been hard for him to improve on that.

SK74: Let’s wait until he’s played more than 20 good games.

You should spend a little more time observing things.

Dave – Any guy down here in Slowville who orders a Singapore Sling at 10am would be labelled a candy ass.  Request a Rusty Nail and the server wouldn’t even bat an eye.

I think my wife was right – JD must be a pussy:-)

19. Seps says:

1.  For less than 4M

2.  What about the gaping goal scoring hole this team has had for 10 years?  (Even though Gauthier has been here for only one)

3.  There is no “right” Kostitsyn to have.

4.  It seems like he chews them up then spits them out so yes.

5.  False, we’ve had some good free-agency signings but the Gomez trade was bad, the Halak trade I think we could’ve gotten more for (I still like Price in net though) and the SK trade was pretty useless.  What was the last trade we won?  But I agree about the knights.

20. shiram says:

Actually only Price needs to stand behind him….

badum tish!

21. Trenton_Romulox says:

1. F, 2. T, 3. F, 4. F, 5. T

22. observer says:

Martin is Gauthiwers man from way back. And this problem of not getting the maximum out of young players has been going on ever since the Gainey/Gauthier duo took over along with their handpicked coaches. Ribeiro, Robidas, Ryder as soon as he left, Samsonov even, Grabovski, S Kostitsyn, Latendresse, D’Agostini ……. you know maybe the problem isn’t the player after all? It is the Gainey/Gauthier defensive system that Martin was brought in to use  and these players just don’t fit? NOTE- Gainey is assisting Gauthier in other words there has been no change vand as usual this team is again back fighting for a playoff spot.