Markov the ‘X-Factor’ for Canadiens

The Canadiens were the focus of NHL.com’s 30 in 30 feature on Monday as the website continues its look at every team in the league heading into the 2013-14 season.

The “X-Factor” for the Canadiens, according to LNH.com managing editor Arpon Basu, is Andrei Markov and whether he can stay healthy for a full season.

Writes Basu: “The question is whether Markov, who turns 34 on Dec. 20, will be able to manage the rigors of a full 82-game slate – particularly in an Olympic year when the schedule will be similarly compressed, as it was last season?”

Basu adds: “Much of the team’s ability to improve its performance in the spring will depend on how well Markov manages his energy to maintain his level of play until then.”

In another 30 in 30 article, Basu asks: “Is Carey Price an elite goaltender?

“Price is certainly paid like one, topping the Canadiens payroll with a $6.5 million salary-cap charge, and he definitely has the talent to be among the NHL’s best,” Basu writes. “However he has yet to reach the upper echelon of his profession, and having turned 26 this past Friday, Price is leaving the realm of being considered young.”

You can read the entire NHL.com 30 in 30 feature on the Canadiens by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Monday that goaltender Dustin Tokarski has been signed to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2013-14 season.

Tokarski, 23, played 15 games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs in 2012-13, posting a 6-8 record with a 2.22 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage. The 5-foot-11, 198-pounder also played 33 games with the Syracuse Crunch, posting an 18-8-4 record, a 2.46 goals against average and a .900 save percentage.

The Humboldt, Sask., native was acquired from the Tampa Bay Lightning in return for goaltender Cédrick Desjardins on Feb. 14, 2013.  He helped the Norfolk Admirals win the AHL’s Calder Cup in 2012.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Top 10 Best Goals of Alex Galchenyuk’s Career, Canadiens.com

1. Un Canadien errant says:

Uh, might be a touchy subject, but hasn’t Maritime Ron’s self-imposed exile lasted long enough? We all stray and colour outside the lines sometimes, it’s happened to me too. I kind of hope most everyone has forgotten (my) the Sinden Incident of 2011, I argued that he might have made some mistakes, but he wasn’t all bad and had some good ideas, he was a leader and made the trains run on time. It didn’t end well, I accused Burly of persecuting me, called Bellyfull a commie and challenged L Elle to a fistfight, I might have threatened Boone and Stu and told them I was going to launch my own damn site. Anyway, I was stressed out, suffering from early-onset Mara-Sopel-separation anxiety. I took a couple of days off, came back with my tail between my legs, said my sorries, we moved on, we’re better friends for it.

Anyway, I was looking back at some earlier posts yesterday, from a couple weeks ago, and found that his avatar is gone, his posts are no longer denoted with the Nova Scotia flag, but rather the generic silhouette. Me no likey.

Maritime’s posts have become an integral part of this site, in the short time he has been with us. When I wake up in the morning, I scroll to his first contribution, which is the usual break between the unmoored ramblings of HabitantinSurrey and mine’s latenight West Coast team and the Morning Crew. He provides the grocery stick-like divider, the conversation starter, with the added pizzazz of research and supporting facts, and we’re off to the races, to which I struggle to catch up to later.

• Chris says:

Agreed. Sometimes, you just get tired of the nonsense. My hope is that he’s off enjoying the last rays of summer and has better things to do than post here for a couple of weeks!

100% agreement, just the other day a couple members here emailed me asking if any of us had seen Maritime Ron posting. I hope indeed he hasn’t left us as I really enjoyed his posts and what he brought to the site. Seems to me that there is a bit of a protocol here on what subjects a person is allowed to criticize and what items are untouchable. For this reason I try my best to avoid political talk as it generally doesn’t end well for someone.

What Mar. Ron posted didn’t offend me in the slightest and we are all entitled to have views differing from each other. If one evening, one of us is having a real bad day, it is possible that an overreaction occurs and a post is made with regrets to be seen the following day.

We are all human, we all have warts and none of us are more important than the next. Let’s hope our friend returns sooner than later.

Thanks for posting that Normand!

• otisfxu says:

Maritime who? geez, get a room. he’s a poster like all the rest of us clowns. Life will go on.

• JohnBellyful says:

You … you … you called me a commie!
      How’d I miss that?!!
      If you were here right now, I’d stomp my foot! Hard! Three times!

• secretdragonfly says:

If that is indeed the case and Maritime has stopped posting, that would be a real shame. There are several individuals on this site whose observations may not always align with my own but I respect their knowledge and obvious passion for the game. It’s a sad day when this site loses yet another contributor to the discussions.

• on2ndthought says:

I was thinking along the same lines last night. We only have to agree that another cup would be nice, we certainly don’t all agree on the best way to make that happen.

• Luke says:

#FreeMaritimeRon

• twilighthours says:

To be honest, I thought he picked a fight and then got sookie, took his ball and went home. (mixed metaphors galore)

I hope he returns though. He had a different and interesting perspective. Wasn’t afraid to challenge pervading wisdom

• Bripro says:

OK, so what happened?
      Did Timo go out of line again?
      No, not Timo… Hard Habits!
      Yeah, that’s it, it must have been him.
      I wasn’t here, and I have no idea which political reference was discussed, but he’s not gone.
      All the good ones come back.
      Right now, he’s practicing his return.

• Habfan10912 says:

Like on2ndthought I was thinking about this last night as well. UcE put it very well as usual. Come back MR.

2. Hobie Hansen says:

“So which team does general manager Marc Bergevin believe he has? The one that dominated opponents through the first 30 games, or the one that struggled once the games became more important and the level of competition went up a notch?”

–Arpon Basu

I think the answer to that question will be decided in training camp. Is it written in stone that Drewiske and Bouillon are penciled in as the 5th and 6th guys? I believe they’re both on One Way NHL contracts?

Is it possible that if Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu come into camp in tremendous shape that Drew and Franki can be scratched or put on waivers?

I think the only chance the Habs have of bettering a decent regular season followed by a quick playoff exit is for the defence to improve over last year.

Either Drewiske really steps up and becomes a tough, regular, 5th or 6th guy, Tinordi arrives in camp 20lbs heavier and ready for fulltime NHL action or either Beaulieau or Pateryn really surprises.

I don’t think the likes of Markov, Gorges, Diaz and Bouillon are going to be able to withstand the league’s Best power forwards baring down on them night after night. They’ll be gassed and then overwhelmed in the playoffs.

And it will be a real chore for Carey Price to excel with that shaky and thin group in front of him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In my mind, it shouldn’t hinge on whether the kids are in great shape or not, but whether they’re ready for the game at this level. I’d be okay with signing a veteran plug, running with the team we have now, even if it turns out our third-pairing is a cannon-fodder and cost us a few wins, instead of rushing up Hamilton crew.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tremendous shape, meaning their level of NHL readiness, not how much they can bench in the GYM….

And the team’s chances of signing a veteran plug has seemed to have come and gone.

I think it’s going to be smash up derby in the Habs end and we’ll be on the receiving end.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Best case scenario, two of those guys make the team and they don’t miss a beat, it’s a seamless transition, like in the seventies, eighties and nineties, and kids from the farm would show up to training camp ready to go. I’m just conservative though, would prefer we leave them in Hamilton for another year, and I include Jarred Tinordi in that.

Thing is back then, we’d have Savards and Robinsons and Chelioses and Svobodas as incumbents, they were doing the heavy lifting, and not much was expected of the new guys. I think the demands on Jarred could be too taxing, although Michel Therrien showed last year that he can gradually adjust rookies’ minutes and situations, merge them in slowly, so to speak.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m all for letting the young dmen take their time and develop properly. I’m just weighing out the possibilities of us putting any type of a season together this year.

• on2ndthought says:

lots of UFA talent out there: beside Murray, Lydman, there’s Eminger, Fistric, White, Kaberle (just seeing if you’re paying attention), Brett Carson, etc…
          MB may be playing the waiting game, to see what we look like as training camp ends, before making a move.

• otisfxu says:

Hopefullt the latter, or we have a GM who is in lala land.
      Although he didn’t really do much to change the team so maybe he thinks he has a winner.

Season is going to be a tough one – and our favorite whipping boy Carey, will probably be the topic of many postings, and not positive ones. This is Price’s year to show what he’s got.

I think the one way contract given to Drewiskie does not mean he is guaranteed anything. In fact, given that under the present CBA up to 900K (I think that is the number) of salary cap hit per player can be buried in the AHL, this means that Drewiskie if sent down would essentially have his entire cap hit removed from the team. The reason he was given a 1-way deal was probably just to give him incentive to take that contract from Montreal rather than looking for a 1 way deal elsewhere.

Bouillon is probably not going to get sent to the AHL, but could be a healthy scratch if indeed the kids show they are ready for the show.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think the defence is going to be the most exciting part of training camp and the exhibition season. With the injury to Emelin, there’s a spot open for a young player, most likely Tinordi.

However, it would also be nice if a guy like Beaulieu or Pateryn really showed something.

What I’m saying is, I sure wish we were at the point where Beaulieu and Tinordi were in the picture instead of Drewiske and Bouillon.

• Chris says:

If Drewiske had only been signed for one year, I could see him being put on waivers. But with a two year deal, it is hard to not see him as part of Bergevin’s plan for this season. Bouillon is not going anywhere…he is too much of a fan favourite and was too integral in Therrien’s line-up last season to see him turfed in favour of a rookie.

Markov, Subban, Gorges, Bouillon and Diaz are all but assured places in the roster. That leaves Tinordi and Drewiske as the 6th and 7th guys. I don’t see much chance of seeing Beaulieu on the club out of training camp, regardless of how well he plays. The numbers are simply against him.

Pateryn is probably more ready than Beaulieu, but I think he’s going to go the Brendon Nash route, appearing to be on the cusp for 2-3 years only to see him walk away from the franchise in the end with very few NHL games played.

Other than Tinordi, I simply don’t see any rookies making the NHL club out of training camp. There simply aren’t any jobs to steal.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You have to think thee Bergevin will make a move involving a defensive prospect at some point over the next two years.

It’s going to be hard to work all these defensive prospects into the lineup over the next 2 or 3 years.

As you mention, Pateryn is already being impacted by the numbers game.

• Chris says:

I think some trades are inevitable, but the return won’t be perceived as particularly fair. Some prospects are going to see their star fade simply due to a lack of meaningful opportunities.

A great example of this is a guy that many here detested, Yannick Weber. Weber was phenomenal in junior, a very solid two-way defenceman whose offensive numbers were right there with those of Subban at a similar age and who was a much more polished defender.

In the AHL, Weber also performed quite well, posting 7 goals and 32 points in 65 games while playing behind Subban (18 goals and 53 points in 75 games) in Hamilton.

Weber is a PP guy that needed top minutes to continue to develop. Unfortunately, he got stuck behind a better defenceman and then was the victim of the numbers game with the Habs last year.

With Beaulieu, Dietz, Bennett, Nygren and, to a lesser extent Ellis, all playing a somewhat offensive game, there aren’t enough PP minutes and top-pairing minutes to go around. Some of those guys will see their development stunted through sheer lack of opportunity.

On a patient club like Detroit, players know they may have to toil in the minors for 3-5 years before they get their shot. In Montreal, a prospect is often written off if he hasn’t arrived within a couple of years.

One thing I hope Bergevin brings with him is patience. Let the kids play, but make sure they ARE playing somewhere. Ice time is the key to development.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, offhand, would a Morgan Ellis or Darren Dietz benefit more from being the #1 guy in Wheeling as opposed to being #5-6 in Hamilton? If so, and if we could smooth ruffled feathers, can we actually send someone to the ECHL without any waivers or other considerations?

• Chris says:

I’ve actually wondered the same, Normand. Unfortunately, the economics of playing in the ECHL are not very favourable for most players, so I suspect they would rather push for a trade then toil for $35,000 or less in the ECHL.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, but I have to think that if the Canadiens pitched it to a young D-man, they wouldn’t make him take a pay cut, they’d keep his salary at the AHL level. I’d remove that angle from consideration.

A quote from PK!

Subban: ‘Hockey’s just a stage I’m going through’

Check out this information site!
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• JohnBellyful says:

Ian, I agree, you can’t be too careful these days. As you requested, I got in touch with private investigator Lou Shrapnel and had him vet the 175 people who will be attending the Summit. Here’s his breakdown of those who will be attending:

7 reprobates
      3 drama queens
      5 commies
      4 pinkos
      3 bleeding heart liberals
      2 fellow travellers
      1 partridge

Lou wants to know if you’ll be needing his services at the Summit.

While I hope Lou vetted me as a fellow traveller, I think I recall meeting him (he was wearing quite the disguise) and I may indeed have come across as more of a zoo-keeper, as that was the evening I discovered a bat in my house.

• JohnBellyful says:

I think he had you down as one of the five emoticons.
          I’ll ask him to recheck his notes : [whoa, that was close, I stopped myself in time]

• Bripro says:

Why everyone keeps referring to me as a “tree hugger” is becoming annoying.
          What about the muffler huggers?

Hey bud, long time no chat. Did you let Ian know what your plans are for Summit? Assuming you will be there for all the festivities. Did I mention I may have scalped your ticket? (just kidding…. ;-) )

• JohnBellyful says:

Lou also had you pegged as briprolar.
            Which one of you will show up at the Summit?
            (I’ll buy the teetotalling one a drink.)

• Bripro says:

That’ll be me.
            No it won’t, it’ll be me.
            No… me!
            KNOCK IT OFF!!!!
            Whatever…

Interesting the lengths True North has gone to try and ensure season tickets don’t get into scalpers hands, and now they are trying to ensure that only people on the wait list get access to purchase tickets through the Jets Ticket Exchange website.

Any folks here from Winnipeg, I would be curious what the reaction is in my old hometown to this new idea.

• bwoar says:

I am not a season ticket holder, or on the wait list, and have only managed to see 3 games in person. All tickets that fell into my lap by sheer luck.

Frankly I think this policy is a Good Thing, since it rewards people who put their money up to BE on the wait list, and who are most likely to be passionate at the game.

The scarcity of tickets is a good thing all around; I know that after another losing season or 3 that they will be plenty to go around. The scarcity of tickets makes it harder to buy one, but amazingly it seems to make it more likely for me to score *free* tickets from those who can’t use them for whatever reasons.

“thoroughbred”

WOW!
    I have made reservations for 175 HIO fan’s at our different SUMMIT events Oct. 25th and 26th. We are fast becoming an international institution! This is going to be a great time, meeting different avatars with real faces!, some for the 1st time.

Check out this information site!
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Stu takes a look at the difficulties the league faces as they try to expand the video review rules in the NHL this upcoming season.

• Ian Cobb says:

Some interesting situations and a nice read Burlington. I just wonder if once this can is opened, will they ever get it right, when teams take advantage of every opportunity to either slow the game down or change momentum. Just another change to the game that may take years to get it right. But it is needed with the speed of the game today!

• habstrinifan says:

There seems to be an incomplete aspect to the revision below, which is supposed to go into effect for the upcoming season.

“All four-minute high-sticking double minor penalties will be reviewed to verify that the perpetrator’s stick actually made contact with victim’s head.”

Granted the revision will confirm a ‘high sticking’ penalty or reverse it once the ‘call’ has been made. But there are many times when the ‘stick contact’ is ignored or ‘unseen’ by the official. Would this revision allow for video to precipitate a call by the referees.

After all an incorrectly adjudged 4 minute penalty has the same game changing potential as one that is missed altogether.

Good question Trini, I suspect the review will only be in effect for calls made by the referee. I don’t see how they can go back and make calls on plays which were not whistled dead as a result of the infraction.

7. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning morning crew! Yesterday my Granddaughter asked me to take her to a movie. I quickly said yes. Who am I to turn down such an offer? After a Prezel Burger we headed to the theater. The movie she wanted to see was Smurfs II. After quickly realizing the movie was not about our beloved Canadiens I began to compare the Smurfs to HIO personalities. Here are a few:

Papa Smurf: Ian
    Hippo Smurf: De Hema
    Weed whacking Grandmother Smurf: Mavid
    Dog loving Smurf: Punkster
    Rock and Roll Smurf: Zep fan
    Irish Smurf: Dunbouyne Mike

Gargamelel: Trolls

OK I admit I made some of these up. CHeers all!

8. Sportfan says:

Headline on TSN Tyler Seguin looks to she his bad boy image. Lol I never thought he was a bad boy he was more of a dbag in Boston. He is young and has room to grow, I suppose.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. Sportfan says:

Imagine if the NFL or NHL guys did this today!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

10. ZepFan2 says:

Happy 65th to Robert Plant.

Leo’s Rock!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

11. John Q Public says:

You learn something everyday.
    So you Google Markov and you see another Andrey Markov.
    You Wikipedia him and see he was a Russian mathematician.
    His claim to fame, a Markov chain.
    And I quote ”
    Formal definition
    A Markov chain is a sequence of random variables X1, X2, X3, … with the Markov property, namely that, given the present state, the future and past states are independent. Formally,
    Pr(X_{n+1}=x|X_1=x_1, X_2=x_2, …., X_n=x_n) = Pr(X_{n+1}=x|X_n=x_n).,
    The possible values of Xi form a countable set S called the state space of the chain.
    Markov chains are often described by a directed graph, where the edges are labeled by the probabilities of going from one state to the other states.”

Now here’s the freaky thing, if you replace the word state(s) with skates Andrei Markov may will be the X-factor!

Or we may be able to predict if he will be the X-factor!

12. on2ndthought says:

Dogs on HIO:
    mine’s a Catahoula Leopard Cur with separation anxiety. His hunting instincts are coming in (he’s 2) and today he crashed a car chasing a remote control toy buggy.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Those guys are obsessed. It’s just red, white, and blue. Looks nothing like the Habs shirt.

Red, white and blue are also the colours of the Jets, Rangers and Blue Jackets. And of the Blue Jays!

13. commandant says:

Alfie angers Sens fans…. AGAIN

Seguin looks to break out in Dallas (which of course would be awesome material for trolling both Leafs and Bruins fans if he becomes a top player out west)

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

14. commandant says:

I fully expect Markov to improve this year.

Lets remember he played 75 games last season including Russia, not 48.

Lets also remember he played 20 games over the last two years, and 60 over the last 3.

Did he really wear down at the end? Yes, his endurance was shot. But that is what comes from playing 70+ games after you have averaged 20 for three years in a row. Like the college kids who play 45 games a year and hit the wall at the 60 game mark their first pro year, Markov did the same. His endurance wasn’t up to snuff.

The great thing about endurance though, it is rebuilt over time, so I don’t expect him to hit the same wall this year.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Timo says:

Well, right now there is no one to replace Markov’s of old minutes. So expect to see Markov playing same kind of minutes and be done by the time a 60th game rolls along. For the money he makes he should be able to easily handle at least 20 effective minutes per game. But he can’t anymore. So another great management move in giving a walking wounded a ridiculous contract.

• Marc10 says:

I’m not so worried about his endurance as I am about his mobility. He looked very tentative out there – even with those KHL games under his belt. He really had issues with tight turns.

I’m optimistic Beaulieu can come in and force management’s hand in Emelin’s absence and land himself a spot. I recall McDonaugh made a big jump at one point in his development and hopefully we get the same from Beaulieu. That would help manage Markov’s minutes and make our team really dynamic coming out of our zone.

• Da Hema says:

I hope you are right, commandant, because the Habs desperately need one more year from him so that Tinordi and Beaulieu can gain experience. However, what I observed with Markov’s play last year really cannot be attributed to fatigue. While he remains an elite passer, his skating really has declined. I am unsure whether there are statistics on this, but it seemed to me Markov was the goat on too many turnovers. Some of these were just unwise pinches, but most resulted because he could not recover from offensive zone turnovers. Unfortunately Markov isn’t Bobby Orr, of whom it was said that without any knees was still the best defenceman in the NHL. I truly hope Markov can give us a good final season, but I am not optimistic.

15. christophor says:

According to the pole, 392 votes is 29% of the vote, while 397 votes is 28% of the vote.

Whaa?

Edit: the latest numbers actually make sense.

16. punkster says:

ATTENTION HIO DOG OWNERS!!!

Mine’s a Lhasa and this describes him perfectly…

How about yours?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

17. JTT says:

If Markov can stay healthy he’ll be one of the top D-men on the Habs having said that. He’s a one hit wonder.

• Mattyleg says:

No idea what this means.
      Anyone?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• punkster says:

He only requires one Boone bong hit to reach his peak?

His first album was his last?

Google his name and he appears first?

What?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• JTT says:

Adi – what I’m trying to say by a one hit wonder. every time he gets hit especially should he go down fans wonder if he’s gonna get up or is he finished. I know myself. Every time he gets hit. I close my eyes and listen to what the announcer has to say. Lose Markov and we’re gonna hurt big time.

• Adidess says:

Every time he gets hit, you wonder… Sounds like fair.

As you can see, people didn’t necessarily get that, as the shared reference for everyone is the obscure artist who did a great first hit that propelled him to stardom often overnight, then he curiously disappears never to be heard from again or repeatedly tries to come back with stuff that just plain sucks.

I agree that losing Markov would be bad. He’s key to our offensive game, particularly our PP production, upon which we’ll likely depend again this year. It could be the difference between making the playoffs and drafting high. With that weak defense of ours, I don’t think we would score enough goals to be competitive without Markov.

• Adidess says:

JTT, you’re probably using the ‘one-hit wonder’ expression wrong. I know what you mean, but Markov has been too good and around too long to be considered a one-hit wonder in the regular sense of the phrase. It’s reserved for a player or performer with flash-in-the-pan type of success, i.e. one big achievement that he has proved to be unable to replicate in his career.

Markov’s career won’t survive another hit to those knees – that we all can agree with more or less.

If you were knowingly playing around with the expression, I apologize for what might sound like an annoying comment by somebody who doesn’t really know you. Cheers!

18. Marc10 says:

Good point about Markov. He is easily the biggest question mark on the team given his old man knees.

5 questions (Smartdog style…) on the other question marks heading into the new season.

1) Will Markov finish in the top 5 Habs point leaders this coming season?
    2) Who will be the Habs top scorer? Max, Briere, DD, Pleky, Other?
    3) Will Travis Moen fight more than three times during the season?
    4) Will Tinordi finish the season in the Top 4 on D?
    5) Will the Habs make the playoffs? If so/not, where will they end up?

Bonus Question: Will Carey Price finish in the top 5 in the League in any of the following: GAA, SV%, wins and will he make Team Canada?

• Steven says:

1) If his ToI is better managed than last year, I think he will. Leave him on the PP and try to keep him to mostly offensive starts at even strength, and he’ll help our forwards score. Short answer, yes.

2) Max, no doubt. If he could lead the team in points last year with DD having that awful season of his, he can do it again with his center hopefully performing better.

3) No. He fought less after Prust came in and took on that job. He now has two guys that’ll fight in his place.

4) Yes. He’ll probably end up next to Subban at some point, when he gets comfortable enough out there.

5) Yes. I would say not winning the division, but not getting in from a wild card, either.

BONUS: I’m going to say he’ll be top 5 in wins, but top 10 elsewhere. I think he makes Team Canada, but I’m somewhat doubtful he starts.

• Marc10 says:

I’m pretty much there with you. I’m less sure about Markov. It’s really about his knees and how many PPs the team gets. Moen probably won’t fight much, but I think he’ll suck it up just out of shame because Parros, White and Prust will do what needs to be done. So I’ll say big Trav will drop them 4 times!

• Hobie Hansen says:

1) Yes
      2) Pacioretty
      3) Yes
      4) No – Top 6 though
      5) Yes – out 2nd round

• pmaraw says:

1) No
      2) Subban
      3) perhaps
      4) No
      5) Yes, in a 1st round matchup with Detroit

• habstrinifan says:

#1.YES! easily so.. given the rest of the crew.

#2.Briere! (goals and assists.) I say this because how Briere goes is
      probably how Pacioretty and any other line mates go. Note: I do
      not agree with the posters who assign secondary role to Briere….
      after all he is our ‘only’ offensive pick-up.
      #3 YES!
      #4 YES! will be top 4 by game 20(unless Drewskie surprises.)
      #5 YES! 6th.
      Bonus.. I really do not know. I am not concerned about his ability.. I am concerned about the rest of the stuff. I really dont know if Price has adopted and adapted to the whole #1 goalie scene in Mtl. I dont know if he ‘cares’ to really. Please no angry responses.. Sometimes a person just tries as hard as possible in a situation but just needs a more comfortable/suitable alternative… maybe Price is in that bind.

19. twilighthours says:

Mc, you saw PK’s first regular season goal!

@L, great work on the poem!

21. JTT says:

Should Price show weakness with a good all around team in front of him, than I’ll become a price hater until, no way. you can’t blame him for the Habs problems it a team problem. weak defence and too soft. yes he lets in a soft goal now and then. Name one goalie who doesn’t.

22. Adidess says:

I (drive-by) posted earlier about specific goalies I would not hesitate to trade Price for straight up right now and mentioned a longer list of NHL goaltenders I’d be more comfortable going with for one big game or playoffs series, fully expecting to come back to a deluge of outrage or at least vehement disagreements from a chunk of the Commentariat.

Either people have chosen to ignore the drive-by troll who posted this or they don’t disagree too much, because all I see in the way of objection is a nice love poem to Price by Elle (great job by the way)… Is it me or the fighting spirit is down around these parts?

Kidding. Fans in here are generally more reasonable and level-headed than given credit for, except for a few outliers. I did not like how Price performed when the game was on the line last year, but we all want him to succeed and hope to see him rebound. I like that he didn’t sugar-coat it when asked to assess his overall performance at the end of the season. He could have pointed to his win totals or the depleted defence in from of him towards the end as factors that exonerate him, he did not. I fully expect him to refocus and do great this year. He’ll end up on the Olympics roster, I think. It’s only a question of whether he starts, in my opinion.

• Adidess says:

You know what, I just realized. The flaming would have been epic, if the original comment was rather pro-Price. The Price haters are more vocal these days. See I’m trying to get something going here -) Anybody?

• on2ndthought says:

The way I see it: we have Price-bashers, Pleks-haters, Markov-offenders, Gorges-slashers, Parros-belligerents (not many, tho), Diaz-dissers, Gionta-grunter, Moen-moaners, Desharnais-detractors, Briere-burners, Bouillon-scalders

On the other hand: Subban has silenced the grumpy, Eller has healed the Halak hailers, Either Gally is given the green light, and In Prust we trust!

• HabFab says:

See the bodies at the bottom of the page. The sad results of the mods deleting those troll posts that you were looking for…..

• L Elle says:

That’s too funny – love poem. More like an endorsement poem. ;)

Personally, I have nothing to say anymore, because the topic has been discussed from every possible angle, at least once a day for years. Thatsa lotta days.

I say, drop the puck already, and let’s see what happens.

23. frontenac1 says:

@mc. I always have two. I’m on my third pair of Aireheads in the last 30yrs.Great friends.

24. A look back at the Guy Carbonneau trade:

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

25. B37zc says:

Dear Aaron Basu, please check your info about Markov! He IS 34 years old. He was born in 1978 and will turn 35 this December.

26. frontenac1 says:

Dogs! I live out in the sticks and my Airedales have been skunked, Quilled by porcupines and swarmed by wasps. Guess that’s why they have murdered beavers,raccoons, muskrats and snakes. They are pissed off at the wildlife. They’re good lads though, I like them.Saludos!

27. habstrinifan says:

@ L.ELLE.. thank you for your Dr. Seuss ‘genre’ poem.
    I have no grandkids (yet I hope) and so I would not be publicly admitting to sneaking into the trunk downstairs and reading “Put me in The Zoo” while I look at a family album.

28. gerrybell says:

need habs advice

going to see the habs play in florida on dec 29th and need tickets. stubhub is the only site i have ever used. anyone know of any other means of getting tickets? other websites?

g
    b

29. doc359 says:

Saw on another site people speculating what the team’s roster might look like in 4 or so years. Obviously predicting that far ahead is a crap shoot but I thought it might be fun to take a stab at it:

MaxPac – Galchenyuk – Gallagher
    Colberg – Eller – McCarron
    De La Rose – Plekanec – LeBlanc
    Prust – White/Dumont – Dumont/Crisp?

Subban – Gorges/Emelin
    Beaulieu – Tinordi
    Diaz/Dietz – Emelin/Gorges

Obviously Emelin could be higher up on that depth chart, and I could see Bourque still being around on the 3rd line with Pleks.

• on2ndthought says:

I think DaLaRose on the 4th line with Bourque on the third is better (Leblanc the 13th forward?). Emelin/Tinordi 2nd pairing, boom! shut down! Beaulieu/Diaz 3rd pair. Looks like a fun team to watch.

• piper says:

I’m hoping Thrower develops into a 5/6 NHL d-man. We need more grit there.

• Chris says:

Galchenyuk and Eller will be due for big raises when their current deals expire if they are legitimately #1 and #2 centres by that time. In that event, Montreal simply cannot afford to be paying its third line centre over $5 M per season, so Plekanec would be ideal trade bait while his value is still high.

I will be very surprised if Plekanec finishes his current deal as a Montreal Canadiens player.

• on2ndthought says:

I won’t be surprised either way. MB will not be giving away Pleks, these players do not grow on trees. He can center the 2/3 line, provide some of the best PK in the league and get 2/3 of a point per game for any team in this league. He will still be worth $5M, especially if the cap increases. You figure we’ll get Galchenyuk for $7M, Eller anything fro 3.5 to 6. Similar to Pleks, bigger frame, less hockey sense. We’ll see this year if he continues to rise, or settles at last year’s level (which ain’t too bad).

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Plekanec won’t be around in 4 years.

• ABHabsfan says:

I like the look of those first 2 lines. Collberg, Eller, McCarron line could be a beast. Christian Thomas could be on this team in 4 years or less, Bournival and Hudon as well though I’m not sure how they slot in. Agree with Chris that I would be surprised if Pleks finishes his current contract with the Habs. I like Pleks as a player, always have and he has great value to the Habs or any team; which of course makes him tradeable

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

30. L Elle says:

I am Fan. Fan I am
    Do you like Hockey and ham
    I do, yes like them, Fan-I-am.
    I do, yes like hockey and ham.

Would you like Rask here or there?
    I would not like Rask here or there.
    I would not like him anywhere.
    I do not like hockey and bear.
    I do not like them, Fan-I-am

Would you like Rinne in our house?
    Would you like Miller, what a louse?
    Would you treat Quick to some lox?
    Would you trade him with a fox?

Not in a box.
    Not with a fox.
    Not in a house.
    Not with a mouse.
    I would not trade them here or there.
    I would not take them anywhere.
    I would not trade hockey and ham.
    I do not like them, Fan-I-am.

You may like him, You will see.
    You may like them, hee hee hee
    I do not agree. I would not, could not agree.
    Not in your life. You let me be.

I do not like Rinne in a box.
    I do not like Rask with a fox
    I do not like Anderson’s house
    I do not like Quick with a mouse
    I do not like Howard here or there.
    I do not like Lundqvist anywhere.
    I do not like Halak and ham.
    I do not like them, Fan-I-am.

I do so like
    Carey and ham!
    Fan-I-am

31. Habs fan in SF says:

anyone on here been to TD Gardens to watch the habs play the bruins? planning a trip there to see the game on Jan 30th. i’ve never been to Boston – let alone a game at the TD Gardens. so i beg to ask (and pardon my ignorance), is it dumb to sport a habs jersey at the game? i’m not the drunken “in your face” annoying visiting fan. i’m rather respectful, but i do get up and cheer when my team scores. so anyways, any insight about the nature of most bruins fans in attendance and in around town (if i decide to go to any bars before/after game) that would be helpful! thanks!

• Hobie Hansen says:

If you are disciplined enough to take a plastic cup of beer to the back of the head without retaliating or don’t mind being sworn at and challenged to fights for 2 1/2 hours, go for it!

If I were given free tickets and was on a trip to Boston I’d go but I’d be ready for an unpleasant night. I’d hope to be there with plenty of friends and big ones at that.

• doc359 says:

Live in Boston, and wear my Habs jersey around with pride after a win.

Avoid the idiots, don’t mind being called a clown, and cheer your @$$ off. It’ll be a good time. Oh, and avoid Hurricane O’Reilly’s bar. Its the big bruins bar and you will not be very welcome

• piper says:

What Hobie said.
      If you saw the Last Gladiator and heard how they treated the Nilan family you may think twice.

• habitunts1 says:

#10
      I live near Beantown and when I do go to Games I don my Jersey but keep it low keyed. I work with some real winners who are B’s fan’s and there way out of control about hating us Hab Fans. There Hate has been passed down to them from there father’s before them who passed on the tradition of trash talking & ignorance.
      Just enjoy the game and try to avoid someone getting in your face. just smile and pass on the good cheer and sportsmanship to them.
      For me and this is just me I would avoid going to any Bar with my Habs Jersey on. Unless you like confrontation go for it!
      GO HABS GO

• Mc says:

Be careful where you buy the tickets. I bought some through the hotel consierge and they turned out to be fakes. We ended up in one of the boxes, right on one of the blue lines and beside the press box, so it turned out well, but a bit tense for a bit. Personally, I wouldn’t make myself a target by wearing a Habs sweater, as some of the crowd were quite aggressive, but that is me. (Habs won the game, btw……)

As for the city itself, I enjoyed it……had some great beer……

Cheers

• twilighthours says:

Do you remember the year/score?

• Mc says:

November, 2010, I think…….can’t remember the score, but we won easily……I do remember no one else in the box spoke to us……may have been because, of the 3 of us, the person doing the most cheering for Montreal was a friend from Australia who knows very little about hockey and she was clutching the spidur hand puppet named Cuddles that she takes everywhere (long story….)

Cheers

• Adidess says:

Maybe the people who go to Red Sox games are a different bunch. But I was at a Jays vs Red Sox game at Fenway two months ago with a group of friends, some of them wearing their Blue Jays jerseys, and Bosox fans could not have been friendlier to us. Lots of families with children having a good time. Guys around us were drinking but remained pleasant and talkative. The Jays won and, that day, nobody struck us as the kind of obnoxious Boston fan we hear so much about, and we realized and discussed the dangers of prejudgment and overgeneralization on our way back.

But I am willing to concede this is probably not the kind of fans or the attitude you would get in a Habs jersey at the Garden, though I have never been to a game there. And it only takes one idiot to ruin the experience for you, if you’re not careful.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unfortunately, that kind of hostile-violent behaviour tends to occur at stadiums or arenas of teams that try to intimidate other teams, because their idiotic, emotionally unstable fans try project the same image. So don’t go to a Flyers or Bruins home game in a Canadiens jersey unless there are a few of you who don’t mind mixing it up, or to a Raiders home game in a Chargers jersey. Because they wear black you see, so they’re big and tough and strong and illiterate.

32. johnnylarue says:

Hey can I tell you guys what I did for my birthday this past weekend?

My girlfriend took me on a delightful overnight trip to the Okanagan. It was my first time seeing much of it, and I’ll definitely go back–amazing food, awesome scenery, dry heat… I probably don’t need to mention wine, but here it is for the record: WINE!!

The only non-wine-related sour note in this whole episode is that my apartment was broken into while we were gone, and my trusty 17″ MacBook Pro was ripped off. Counting my lucky stars that crackheads don’t know high-end musical gear or collectible guitars as well as they know laptop brands, as the computer was the only thing they made off with.

Happy birthday to me, eh?

Gave me a sudden, deep empathy for whoever it was back in medieval times who decided cutting off someone’s hands was a fitting punishment for theft. I feel it!

No insurance, but I am nonetheless philosophical enough to recognize this as “white people problems”. Ultimately, there are more overpriced “lifestyle” computers where that one came from, I suppose…

33. HabFanSince72 says:

This is kinda funny. Seattle Police handing out free Doritos bags at Hempfest, with some advice for marijuana users:

34. Luke says:

@Twi’

14.5km Saturday partly on the Lake Ontario waterfront. (Followed by a wine tour!)

I need to stretch out the route… I thought that was a 16km, but I mapped it out today.

Absolutely beautiful weather for runs (and wine tours) here the last couple of weeks.

• twilighthours says:

Nicely done.

Do you use a website like mapmyrun.com? Or have a GPS watch? There’s even some sweet apps for your smartphone now, too – endomondo is the popular one.

• Luke says:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com is what I do my mapping on. Pretty easy to use.

I do have Endo on my phone, but i rarely run with it. I had a Garmin, but it has ceased to be.

So i’m running without any electronics for the most part. If i get back into serious training where I care about my times and splits and speedwork, I’ll get a new Garmin…

35. commandant says:

Some Habs content as we host the Habsworld podcast

And today’s prospects are the dreaded Leafs.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

36. bwoar says:

Bill, I will continue to take your hockey word on Beaulieu, but in my opinion, throwing any kind of real money at the kid anytime soon is out of the question. He couldn’t handle the riches and the city all at once right now.

“thoroughbred”

37. habs11s says:

Alfie the Troll….

_____________________________________________________________

38. Luke says:

Dustin Tokarski Signed for 1 year.

39. frontenac1 says:

The kid was plugged 9 times and Then tazered! That’s fu*’ked up!

• Say Ash says:

Should have put down the knife.

• bwoar says:

And surrendered peacefully.

Seriously, those TO cops gotta make sure every other wingnut with a weapon knows they’d bloody well comply.

“thoroughbred”

• twilighthours says:

Totally. Having a knife in your hand means you should be shot to death. Every time.

• bwoar says:

It does if you don’t put it down.

“thoroughbred”

• twilighthours says:

For sure. Especially from 20 feet away. A knife is totally dangerous from that distance.

@Twi, It does seem based on the media reports etc… that the Police acted inappropriately. However, I know that the minute I tell people to get off a public bus brandishing a knife, that i have just given up most of my rights.

I am not supportive of the action taken, but threatening people, forcing them to get off public transport after I wield a knife isn’t a positive thing to do.

• twilighthours says:

Burly, from where I sit, there is not a single piece of evidence indicating that a shooting was required. Could the police have restrained this kid without killing him? That’s what it looks like.

Maybe more info will come out. We’ll see.

• The Jackal says:

Burly, yeah, brandishing a knife and being a threat to people is not a good way to ensure you are treated properly. Nevertheless, shooting the guy was not really warranted, especially when the officer had a tazer and could have taken him down without killing him.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

I don’t disagree Twi’, my only point is that if he isn’t carrying a knife and brandishing it, none of this happens.

In no way shape or form, do I condone the way the Police carried this out.

40. Mavid says:

What a way to start the morning, a Skunk sprayed both my dogs in the face through our fence..everything stinks now..ug…

27 more days to go…

I think the NHL should not, I repeat not, stop the season during the Olympics. NHL teams that have players going to Sochi should fill in the gaps while the Olympics are staged with players from their prospect pool.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

I agree, give the kids a chance and it would make a very interesting to see who’s on waivers after the Olympics with players being sent down.

Win is a win, but I hope we win.

• Chris says:

Given that the Olympic ice hockey tournament is a massive advertisement for the NHL, there is simply no way that the league is going to cut itself off at the knees.

It the assets (the players) are there, the league is going to shut down so that the whole world can focus on how great the talent is.

From a competitive point of view, it makes absolutely no sense to punish the most talented teams for building a strong, talented base. They will have a huge disadvantage when their NHL players are gone overseas.

You saw what happened to Montreal losing Eller, Emelin and Gionta.

What do you think happens if they are missing Markov, Emelin, Subban, Plekanec, Budaj, Price, Diaz, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty? A team like the Islanders might see Tavares (Canada), Grabner (Austria), and Visnovsky (Slovakia) at the Olympics….they gave Montreal all they could handle last season. They would cream the Habs even without Tavares if the list above are not there.

42. habstrinifan says:

HIO has in the past looked favourably on the work of A. Basu. I haven’t read the original piece yet, but in the lead-up to this thread, Basu essentially removes Price from ‘elite level’ status until proven and also suggest that it is time to diasabuse ourselves of the “Carey is young” argument.

What does HIO think now? I already saw one denuniciation.

• Timo says:

I never had him in the elite status to begin with. And agree about the age thing. He’s been in the league for 8 years.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think anyone with half a brain sees things the same way. It’s a far cry from saying the guy is garbage like some seem to think.

Price has a tough road ahead of him. He will have to play well as some veterans move on and the young core finds a new identity.

There could still be some bumps in the road ahead for Price and the team in general. I personally think the odds are in favor of him being solid.

• Phil C says:

Price is now at the age when goalies normally break into the league, so lets see what happens in the next few years.

• habstrinifan says:

If I were not an adorably lazy lout I would research if stats support your statement. If you are right then A. Basu has some expleeeeeenin to do.

• Chris says:

I can’t agree with this at all.

Here is the age at which the current #1 goalies in the NHL and the age at which they were established as the #1 goalie for the first time:

Anaheim: Jonas Hiller, 26
        Boston: Tuukka Rask, 22
        Buffalo: Ryan Miller, 25 (delayed by lockout)
        Calgary: who knows who is starting? :)
        Carolina: Cam Ward, 22
        Chicago: Corey Crawford, 26
        Colorado: Semyon Varlamov, 23
        Columbus: Sergei Bobrovsky, 22
        Dallas: Kari Lehtonen, 22/23 (depends on when you think he became starter)
        Detroit: Jimmy Howard, 25
        Edmonton: Devan Dubnyk, 24/25
        Florida: Jacob Markstrom (by the looks of it), 23*
        Los Angeles: Jonathan Quick, 22
        Minnesota: Niklas Backstrom, 28
        Montreal: Carey Price, 20
        Nashville: Pekka Rinne, 26
        New Jersey: Martin Brodeur, 21 or Cory Schneider, 26 (split duties for two years before that)
        New York Islanders: Evgeni Nabokov, 25
        New York Rangers: Henrik Lundqvist, 23
        Ottawa Senators: Craig Anderson, 28
        Philadelphia Flyers: Ray Emery, 24 or Steve Mason, 20
        Phoenix Coyotes: Mike Smith, 26
        Pittsburgh Penguins: Marc-Andre Fleury, 21
        San Jose: Antti Niemi, 26
        St. Louis: Jaroslav Halak, 23/24 or Brian Elliott, 24
        Tampa Bay: who knows? Ben Bishop, 26*
        Toronto: James Reimer, 22 or Jonathan Bernier, 25*
        Vancouver: Roberto Luongo, 21
        Washington: Braden Holtby, 23
        Winnipeg: Ondrej Pavelec, 22

The guys who break in late are either Europeans (Hiller, Rinne, Backstrom, Niemi, Lundqvist) who had already established themselves in European leagues or guys who were stuck behind veterans: Schneider (Luongo), Howard (Osgood), or Smith (Turco).

NHL goaltenders normally break at age 22-24 years old. By 26, most teams know what they’ve got. There are of course late bloomers (Craig Anderson, Tim Thomas), and that should not be discounted.

As the article said, Price can no longer be considered young, nor can we really expect him to take a magical leap. He’s played a ton of games, so improvement isn’t going to appear simply because he gets more playing time (like Anderson).

youngest on the list?
          Rask was injury replacement
          Fleury was 13-26, 3.3 gaa, .89 sv%
          etc…

• Chris says:

Rask was not an injury replacement. He outplayed Thomas the year after Thomas won his first Vezina, and stole the #1 position. Thomas was never on the IR that season.

The argument was that 26 is the age at which goalies usually break into the NHL. This is not true.

Price being the youngest on the list is largely irrelevant. Two of the next three youngest goalies on the list are Steve Mason and Ondrej Pavelec…do people still think either of those guys is suddenly going to realize his potential and jump into the top-5 in the NHL?

I sure don’t. (Although I do think Mason has a chance to look much better behind a good team in Philadelphia)

Price’s play last year was not elite. He had a good team that was scoring goals and carrying the play, and he had perhaps his worst season as a professional. He’s already lost his starting position once (to Halak in 2008-09).

He very much needs a rebound season.

• Phil C says:

Good list. I would point out that many of the players on that list are questionable number 1 goalies, most evidently when you have to list two for one team. A few more subsequently lost the number 1 job before regaining it back which would push the average higher.

Even if you use your numbers (but add Kiprusoff), both the median and the average is 24. If you delete the guys who are questionable number ones and not count guys who subsequently lost their starting job, the median is closer to 24.5. So while my guesstimate of 26 was off, I think your 22-24 is too low, or at best at the upper end of that range.

Either way, we agree that the young argument no longer applies to Price going forward.

I don’t expect Price to take a magical leap, but I do expect him to get better. If you look at the average age of Vezina Trophy winners since 1990, it is around 29, as opposed to 26 for Hart trophy winners. As such, I think Price should have some upside left.

When in the past did HIO agree on anything, I missed the part where Arpon was praised by all, and that whatever he wrote was always accepted as fact.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

He is not really young (except compared to me), and as far as elite goes, he is a good “top half of the league’s goaltenders”. He is a good player to have, but he’s not elite. He’s just good. If he can raise his game all season and win a few in the playoffs, elite is in range.
      But it’s fading.
      My measure of elite is whether a guy would have played in a six team NHL. Price would still be an up and down minor leaguer or a backup in that context.
      This is his season to step up. Otherwise, he’s like a script sold for millions, for a movie never produced. It happens.
      I’m looking forward to tracking Fucale’s career, to see if he’s going to slowly develop into an elite goalie. Price will do what Price will do, and I hope that involves being more consistent and less rigid. I want him to succeed, but I have no more expectations. So take me to the station, put me on a train…

43. frontenac1 says:

It the Holy Water amigos! Ever see those soccer players getting carried off in those. Bogus little stretchers and then administered that Holy Water and Bingo! They’re up and at “Em again. Amazing sh#t! Praise the Lord!

• Timo says:

They should pour some of that water on Markov’s knee. And some on DD… perhaps it will make him grow a few inches.

How many games did Markov miss last year with that bad knee Timo? Or does the answer make your comment useless?

• Timo says:

In how many games was he actually worth his salary?

I would say the majority of games, and I would also say his kickstart to the season was off the charts how he helped that team out of the gate.

But perhaps I see things differently when watching a game. I am not so jaded towards players that I refuse to see their merits. I have issues with the number of smaller players we have, I wish DD wasn’t on a long term contract. But, I still actually want DD to play well and enjoy it when he does.

Seems to me your vile towards DD, Price, Markov and most every other player not named PK, causes you to despise their presence on the ice.

To each his/her own.

CHeers Timo!

• Luke says:

Man, you are just stretching as far as you possibly can on Markov here, just so you can be the negative guy.

Markov had a phenomenal season.

His defense was, at worst, above average. His offense was amongst the best in the league.

So, how many games? The vast majority.

44. Adidess says:

Great question. Goalies I would trade Price for straight up: Quick, Rinne, Niemi. Not sure the others would make a major difference for us at this point, considering we’re a building team and Price has the benefit of growing alongside our D corps and developing chemistry with them. A trade would disrupt that process.

But I’d have a different, more controversial answer if the question was ‘what other goalies I would take over Price for one high-pressure game or playoff series right now, regardless of line-ups”. My list would be quite long as I prefer my goalie to play a more aggressive style in high-pressure situations:
    Quick, Rinne, Crawford, Howard, Niemi, Lungvist, Rask, Miller, Luongo, even possibly Anderson, Mike Smith and Bobrovski.

Half of these guys are not goalies you build a team around at this point, contrary to Price. But I feel for the moment Price had proved slightly less reliable than any of them with the game on the line, at least in recent past.

Let the flaming begin! Though admittedly I’m posting this during lunch break at work and almost certainly won’t be able to respond :)

• on2ndthought says:

The problem is, once Price beats those guys once, he’s going to beat them every time (teams in front being equal, of course).

• habstrinifan says:

Oh yes.. Basu forgot the “team in front of him” argument. Watch the overwrought Price apologists huddle around it.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Once I beat Georges St Pierre once, I’m going to clean up! But I still haven’t gotten around to that, and Price still hasn’t been a consistently dominant goalie. The old goalies in net being equal too often equate to one more goal against Carey. He has to fix that.

45. on2ndthought says:

How far is Morgan Ellis from being ready for the NHL? Isn’t he a good two way (3-4) prospect?

46. frontenac1 says:

OB was no screaming hell for the Laffs last year as well. Pass.

47. HabFab says:

Charges (2nd degree murder) have been brought against the TO police officer for the streetcar shooting.

• Ron says:

As was discussed on this site when it happened, this could not be swept under the rug. The union will back him 100% but the truth will come out. In the end a reduced charge maybe brought into play. His job is gone for sure but that doesn’t bring the life back.

• Timo says:

I am kind of conflicted (albeit indifferently) about it. On one hand, sure… firing 9 shots into an 18 year old punk with a small knife is way too excessive. On the other… how would I feel if my daughter was on the bus and gangster wannabe started wielding a knife? Let me guess, he was a kind loving soul who never hurt a fly in his life?

• Phil C says:

I find a trigger happy cop who thinks he is Rambo way more scary than some punk with a knife.

• Timo says:

Yes, but the happy trigger cop did not start the whole mess… he ended it, albeit, like I said, in a very disproportionate manner. The worst possible outcome in this situation would have been little good boy Sammy stubbing one of the innocent passengers to death.

• Phil C says:

Good point. 50, 000 volts through his punk-ass would have been a better outcome all around.

• twilighthours says:

Sorry, Timo. I usually ignore you, but can’t let this pass. I just want to confirm:

1) you’re totally OK with surfing the internet for/posting pictures of 18 year old girls’ behinds in thongs and leering at any young woman if she is wearing yoga pants…because, after all, those girls are there to be looked at.

2) you think that your own daughter is so precious that when a young man wields a knife in her vicinity (not at her directly), it’s possibly OK that he be shot to death as punishment.

Do I have that right?

• habstrinifan says:

If you wish to determine whether it was ‘good’ or ‘bad’ policing action, you cannot introduce hypotheses that are not based in fact. There was no one on the bus .. and thus ‘on the bus’ there was no one in imminent danger. Remember I said ‘on the bus’.. I am not discounting possible danger to the police officers outsid ethe bus. But they had to weigh that danger in their response. Did they do that professionally?

• Gerry H says:

The kid was mentally ill.

• Phil C says:

Wow, I am shocked but pleased that there might be some justice.

• Chris says:

It is very rare for charges to be brought against an officer by the Special Investigations Unit. But it is almost unheard of for those charges to actually proceed to a full trial. In the past, the majority of charges leveled after an SIU investigation have been thrown out by a judge almost immediately.

• on2ndthought says:

As I understand it, whenever there is a conflict in testimony, unprovable by physical evidence; a judge is required by the way law is written to accept the officer’s version. It would explain why so many of those charges are dropped. To be fair, they are trained in observation and recording, and to be real, they are just like any group, a certain % are bullies, aholes etc (bad time to say Beaulieu?)

• Chris says:

It will be an interesting trial this time…they won’t have a lack of witnesses!

The condemning part for me is that a couple of officers were seen to walk by the doorway of the bus moments before the shooting and certainly weren’t behaving in a way that demonstrated that they perceived any imminent danger.

We’ll see how this plays out, but I won’t be shocked if the charges disappear.

• Timo says:

The outcome of this trial will solely depend on whose political career may or may not be affected. Nothing about “getting justice” (when was the Canadian judicial system ever about justice) or “truth” or any other nonsense like that.

• Strummer says:

In fatal shootings by police in Ontario the officer is charged in a lot of cases to appease the masses but he will most assuredly will be acquitted as per usual.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m surprised as well that he’d be charged with 2nd degree murder, he must not have had many good answers to provide to investigators when they were questioning him. Or there is some pressure to throw the book at him because of public opinion.

Again, I’m really glad there is video of this incident, so there is little room to fudge with the facts.

• habstrinifan says:

I considered the entire episode ‘bad policing’, but 2nd degree murder seems an extraordinary charge and may even thwart ultimate justice. No way can the crown make a convincing case that this is e murder… even if second degree.
      And if the that is the only charge available to the jury, the officer will escape any culpability and it may even reduce the chances of success in any civil proceedings.

Under the criminal code of Canada Murder occurs

“where the person who causes the death of a human being means to cause his death, or means to cause him bodily harm that he knows is likely to cause his death, and is reckless whether death ensues or not;…

where a person, meaning to cause death to a human being or meaning to cause him bodily harm that he knows is likely to cause his death, and being reckless whether death ensues or not, by accident or mistake causes death to another human being, notwithstanding that he does not mean to cause death or bodily harm to that human being; or

where a person, for an unlawful object, does anything that he knows or ought to know is likely to cause death, and thereby causes death to a human being, notwithstanding that he desires to effect his object without causing death or bodily harm to any human being.”

It certainly can be legally argued that the officer did not mean to cause death..

and it can also be legally argued that the officer did not have an ‘unlawful’ object.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Police Union is quietly happy with this charge.
      The only caveat is if the defense cannot force the crown to present the murder only charge to the jury or magistrate.

• Chris says:

I’m not a lawyer, but it shouldn’t be that big a stretch to argue that the officer meant to cause death when he shot the suspect. That is the point of shooting somebody…they don’t shoot to injure.

The trick would be for the Crown to prove that the officer’s intent to cause death was warranted or not. There is little question about the intent part, which is what makes it a murder charge.

48. Un Canadien errant says:

HabsFanSince72 asks: “Is there really any evidence that young(ish) players are ruined by playing in the NHL?”

I think it’s hard to have any scientific evidence with all or even most variables controlled. We could do a statistical analysis on draftees who make it to the NHL, but I’m not even sure how we’d set it up, what parameters we’d employ.

Practically, I think there is lots of anecdotal evidence of teams and desperate ‘win now’ GM’s, or GM’s selling hope for the future to their fan base, of rushing young players up to the big leagues before they’re ready. Either the kid isn’t ready skills-wise and treads water, never getting to a point where he can progress and improve, or the money/fame goes to the rookie’s head and he slacks off in practice or off-ice. I think that’s what Marc Bergevin was thinking of when he made his comment of seldom regretting calling up a player too late from the minors.

In our case, based on my limited knowledge of the particulars here, I think Jarred Tinordi is mentally readier to be in the NHL, he has a level head on his shoulders and seems to have the makeup and attitude to come in as a #6 and work hard to improve in practice, to do what the coaches tell him, and to not get too jubilant or too depressed based on results. Greg Pateryn, based on his age alone, would be next in my mind, plus he has the added bonus of being a righty.

Nathan Beaulieu, for reasons we’re familiar with, needs to spend another season in the minors to gain physical and mental maturity. He seems to have the skills to get to the next step, it’s just his emotional intelligence I worry about.

I wrote a post a few weeks ago on Jarred and Nathan, and regarding being rushed up too soon and skill development, and used learning how to juggle as an analogy. The link is provided below.

• on2ndthought says:

Tinordi also wants to bring his ‘protection’ skills to the NHL. We desperately need those skill, but this is exactly where I worry about young players brought up too quickly. Larry Robinson made an immediate physical impact for the Canadien, as a 21 year old, so it is possible. I’m not saying JT can’t do it, but I will be worried for the first couple of seasons. At least he won’t be facing Parros (who might give him some pointers after practice).

49. jimmy shaker says:

Interesting post from Mr.Cobb below stating “He wouldn’t trade price for any other tender in the league” What do the rest of you gents think of that?

If I could trade Price for any other tender in the league I could name a few……Quick, Lundqvist and defer some of the cash from the tender spot to a top 6 forward or top 4 d-men, I would take Niemi……interesting topic!

Shaker out!

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ludqvist is 31 so I wouldn’t make that trade.

Rask and Quick are the same age and better than Price by any measure. Bobrovsky is younger and we’ll see if he’s better in a couple of years. Crawford, Holtby, Howard and Schneider are also roughly Price’s age. I’d trade for Howard. Probably not the others though they may turn out better in the long run.

In sum, I would trade Carey Price for Jimmy Howard, Tuuka Rask or Jonathan Quick.

Unfortunately Detroit, Boston and LA probably wouldn’t accept the trade.

• junyab says:

IMO…Quick, Rinne or Rask.

Bobrovsky – only 1 good year so far
        Schneider – see Howard but sub in Vancouver
        Crawford – see Howard but sub in Chicago
        Lundquist – age
        Niemi – a wash IMO
        Miller – age
        Fleury – a wash

• Strummer says:

” Howard – hard to measure his skill having a Detroit roster playing in front of him’

Would that logic not also apply to Quick and Rask?

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Timo says:

Even more so because as far as I can see both Chicago and Boston (argh!) have superior to Detroit rosters. Personally, I would take Crawford.

• Chris says:

Detroit’s defence corps was probably more of a mess than Montreal’s last season. Kronwall was their #1, but the talent dropped off hugely after that: Ericsson and Kindl were the only other regulars. The rest of their blue line was in flux all season long, with Brendan Smith, Brian Lashoff, Kyle Quincey, Ian Smith, Danny DeKeyser and Kent Huskins all playing 10-36 games.

Howard was the real deal last season.

• doc359 says:

I wouldn’t take Tuukka for Price. Tuukka had a great year, for sure, but let him prove that over a season where he plays more than 40 games (something he has never done as far as I recall), to prove to me he is a elite starter in the NHL.
        Howard is a big older than Price, but I would say they are roughly the same skill wise. Howard has also had lidstrom, Kronwall, Z, and the Magician to play behind as well.

Johnny Quick I would trade for, I think anyone who isn’t the LA kings would trade for Quick

• Chris says:

Lundqvist is 31, but still probably has 5 years left on his peak form. By that time, Fucale would be ready to take the reins if he is the prospect that many project him to be.

In the meantime, you get the best goaltender in the NHL. I’d trade Price for Lundqvist in a heartbeat. Sadly, I doubt that Glen Sather would.

• D Mex says:

At 26 years of age, Price is marginally younger than Quick (27) and Crawford (28), but the gap between his and their respective performance levels the past couple of seasons is remarkable.

The selection of Fucale in this year’s draft strikes me as prudent on a number of levels, but Carey is #1 in Montreal … for now.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Phil C says:

Two years is not marginal at this point in the development of goalies. At 26, Crawford was still in the AHL.

• D Mex says:

And Quick had won a Stanley Cup.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• Trisomy 21 says:

So at 26 Crawford was in the AHL, at 26 Quick won the cup. You could say the gap in their performance was remarkable… Then at 28 Crawford won a cup. Think about this….. You’re proving Phil’s point

• Chris says:

He was in the AHL because they had a proven veteran (Huet) and another young prospect (Niemi) ahead of him on the depth chart.

Before that, they had Khabibulin and Huet.

There simply wasn’t a spot for him to play in the NHL.

• on2ndthought says:

I think Rinne is the only guy I would want if I wanted to win it all this year. Otherwise Price is the (young) man. Rask/Price has all the earmarks of the great Dryden/Cheevers match-ups (and Vachon before that. I’m betting things end up pretty much the same ;)

• otisfxu says:

the question really is – how worse off would we be with any of the other top 20 goalies in the league? I don’t think our record would be any worse.
      Price might have stolen 5-6 games last year because he was really good, but any other goalie would do the same. He cost us more games than he stole. (way too many bad goals)
      I have always felt you only spend the big bucks on a goalie after every other part is in place. Otherwise you are expecting too much from a goalie with a team in front of him that is mediocre. And the Habs are just a little better than mediocre right now.

• D Mex says:

This is why I say Price is #1 in Montreal – for now.
        He is probably an above average goaltender on most scorecards, but has still not done enough to establish himself as an elite puckstopper at the pro level.

This said, it seems improbable his market value would diminish if he remained status quo, ie : any team that would trade for or otherwise obtain his services would make the same supportive arguments that we see here.

I simply point out that he is from BC, where it is really only a matter of time before the Luongo situation requires further attention. A move to Vancouver would put him at a safe distance from the Habs and their eastern rivals, but clearly many other possibilities exist (including that he stays put and realizes his potential in Montreal).

Meanwhile, it’s not a bad thing for the Canucks to flounder and continue to draft well for a while. Parallel to this, all indications are that Fucale is a very solid G prospect.

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

50. habsfan0 says:

Here’s hoping that Markov’s bionic knee is able to withstand the pressures of playing in an 82(+) game schedule.
    Even at his advanced age, Markov is one of the key elements as to how well the Habs will do this season.

51. zephyr says:

markov is not too old. I don’t know how his knee rehab affected his conditioning last year. I hope he’s in better shape this year. hope his knees are ok too. that’s the x factor I guess. he’s an elite dman still.
    who knows with price? he’s been hot & cold so far. be nice if he’d be consistently good this year. I think fucale is 2-3 years away if he’s as good as advertised. roy was.
    be nice if tinordi & pateryn can play regularly. with subban & emelin that would give us some size & physicality on d. that’s something we haven’t had for a long, long time. maybe drewiske will be uselful too. we’ll see.

52. Maksimir says:

ESPN posted a re-draft of the class of 2003… oh terrible hinsight how I loathe thee… in retrospect I think the re-do would be to take: Getzlaf

ROUND 1:

26. Brian Boyle
    27. Jeff Tambellini
    28. Corey Perry
    29. Patrick Eaves
    30. Shawn Belle

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m always surprised how little love Ryan Kesler gets in comparison to Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf. Sure, those two are Canadian and more offensively oriented, but Ryan Kesler is a heck of a player. A guy that big shouldn’t skate that fast. And a guy who’s that good defensively shouldn’t have that shot or be that productive on the power play. I see him play regularly, and I’d take him over the other two if I had a choice.

I hope he can have an injury-free season and shine for the Canucks, and lead the US team in Sochi.

• Timo says:

So sad. Trevor Timmins’ work, I presume?

• Phil C says:

How come you don’t want Jessiman, he’s MOAR bigger!!

Corey Perry is an example of why the draft is such a crap shoot. He fell so far down the list because scouts were concerned about his skating. There was simply know way to know whether not his skating would improve enough. That’s why I think you need lots of picks, the higher the better.

The only X about the Markov factor is how long before he is gone.

54. HabFanSince72 says:

Are any of the ex Four Hab Fans positing here?

55. HabFab says:

Renaud Lavoie – During the Olympics, NHL players will be off from February 9 (or after their final game before the break) to February 18. Practices will resume on February 19. One other important note. A trade freeze in the NHL is schedule from February 7 to February 23rd during the Olympic break.

So which NHL team has the fewest Olympic Players this season? Will that team have a big advantage as the season winds down and playoffs begin? Or will that team simply lack talent to take advantage of a rested/healthy roster.

• HabFab says:

With 9 potentials it won’t be us. Those guys will be exhausted by the time differential alone, without the emotional factor. Team depth will count heavy then.

• krob1000 says:

I think it will depend on which players play banged up or need the rest but refuse to take it.
        Pleks and Markov would be the concenrs IMO but I don’t think Markov will make their team…..the Russians treat their KHL players with the utmost respect and to promote their league and you better be a no brainer to make that squad. IF two players are close they will defer to the KHL player IMO.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think a team with few Olympians is a team with a lack of talent. Whatever advantage they have in being fresh and rested will be outweighed by this.

• krob1000 says:

Is it just me or does this Olympics seem to be flying pretty far under the radar relative to the last few. The last 3 Olympics 6 months before there was an anticapation level that IMO far exceeds any vibe I am getting thus far. There seem to be fewer projected lineups,etc,etc going on and less public info …or so it seems. I know they just officially decided it was a go but common sense would indicate that it was always being planned.
      I could be wrong but I get the feeling that even the media is not backing these Olympics relative to past ones…

Price
    Goal tenders take the longest of any position to reach their prime.
    Price is just arriving at the age of maturity for a goal tender.
    50% of his position is confidence, and the other 50% is talent and ability.
    The psychology and mind set at the goal position, takes many years to develop before he becomes a true elite player at the goal position.

SUMMIT NEWS FLASH

Over 175 members of our HIO community, are attending this years different events at our 2013 Fan Summit in Montreal!

About 100 of us will be at the Charity Raffle Banquet.
    Everyone is asked to bring a gift donation, so that each one of us will have a nice gift to take home as a memento of this great weekend.

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub, for the Friday eve. on Crescent St. Before staggering back to the hotel.!

Some of us will be having supper there, and name tags will be given out.
    Everyone is welcome to join us. Wear you team colors! and enjoy the evening.

Please read all instructions and Itinerary on the link below!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

58. krob1000 says:

TOI…….another statistic thrown around that is not always relevant IMO from a fatigue perspective. Where I do see it’s relevance in some respect is when players are underplaying and are expected to produce offensive numbers ( again not telling whole story, linemates, situations,etc).
    I think TOI is something that is up to the coaches to manage…but it is more analyzing fatigue then straight TOI. Any Dman can tell you that many games when the team does well they could play twice the icetime they played. In other games where they are dominated in terms of puck possesion the coin flips. Pp time is often not difficult time…but even it can be if you twice had to sprint to break up odd man rushes given up,etc,etc.
    I am going to give NHL coaches and the athletes the benefit of the doubt and figure that if they are sent back onto the ice that they have been managing their output and are making their decisions accordingly as a shift chasing the puck is far more difficult than a shift with the puck.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

For those of you who like football (soccer), check out Barcelona’s 7 goals on the weekend. Harlem Globetrotters stuff.

• Chris says:

A couple of those goals were just simply ridiculous displays of talent. Barcelona probably isn’t winning the Champion’s League this season, but they can be such a joy to watch. That is how soccer is supposed to be played: constant movement, precise passing and patience until a good passing lane opens up.

• DeadEnd says:

That’s funny: I thought soccer was all about boring the other team into submission and flopping around on the field until the ref cards someone for waking him up.

And the drinking.

• Chris says:

The floppers drive me nuts, but you see them in every sport.

I play recreational soccer, and we’ve got a couple former varsity players in our games. If they lose the ball under pressure, down they go hoping to draw a foul. The funny thing is that we don’t have refs…purely an “honour system”!

On the flip side, some of those tackles do hurt like crazy. I had to crawl off the field about a month ago after a kid took me out at the ankle. Ended up mildly spraining my ankle and stretching my Achilles tendon. And that type of play happens in every game. Your feet/ankles/knees are awfully vulnerable in a soccer game.

wow, Central Red Army vs. Central Park PeeWees

• Strummer says:

I love footy-enjoyed the Premier League opening weekend.
      Cheers for sharing!

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

60. Bill says:

In an ideal world, Tinordi and Beaulieu spend at minimum one more year in Hamilton. Most smart organizations would not rush these guys. Tinordi is massive and skilled but very, very raw. Beaulieu has the potential to be a top-pairing defender, and if anyone cares to take my word for it he will be without a doubt, but he needs time as well.

However this is not a perfect world, and the Habs have few options given how depleted the D corps is.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Is there really any evidence that young(ish) players are ruined by playing in the NHL? Obviously if you’re not ready you’re not ready, but if a player can hold his own in the NHL there’s no reason to leave him in the AHL.

• Phil C says:

There is a physical risk playing boys against men. Look how many concussions Jeff Skinner has suffered already. I’ll be surprised if he lasts in the league past 30 under the current rules.

I think Latendresse’s career was ruined by playing up too early. Instead of developing a good work ethic in the minors, he developed an attitude of entitlement that really hurt his development. He should be a 30 goals a season power foward, instead he is unemployed.

• junyab says:

Skinner’s concussion frequency has nothing to do with age…it has to do with 1) his size, or lack there of, and 2) his over-physical playing style (he plays the game like he’s 5 inches taller and 30lbs heavier.

• piper says:

I worry about Gallagher for the same reasons.

• Phil C says:

Respectfully disagree. While the things you mention are also a factor, being less than physically mature exacerbates the factors you mention. Its not just the physical element (which is huge IMO), its the lack of experience as well. An 18 year old makes a mistake in the OHL and he gets hit hard. He makes the same mistake in the NHL and it could end his career. A small guy like Skinner needs to have above average awareness on the ice. Being rushed to the NHL comes with the higher risk when the awareness is not there.

• punkster says:

Wait…I’m retired, play golf whenever I want, head to the cottage throughout the summer, ski and snowshoe at my leisure in the winter, enjoy time with my kids (who live on their own) on MY schedule, and drop in to HIO for a daily Habs fix…I thought this already was a perfect world.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

61. Bill says:

Price’s contract is:
    A) a long term deal that is a large chunk of the cap now, but which within two seasons will be much less as the cap goes up
    B) One that includes three of his UFA years
    C) Adjust upwards in pure dollar figures to account for much higher Quebec taxes

All of these things explain why it is somewhat higher than what you would expect at this exact moment. A child could understand that if he were suing in Dallas, on a shorter term deal that didn’t include UFA years, it would be a lot less. In fact, even the same length deal in a lower tax market would lower his salary by about a million.

Even as it is, his salary is pretty much the going rate for a goalie who plays as many games as he does with his career statistics. One bad month does not a washout make.

I can’t understand how people who follow hockey and the cap as closely as most HIO posters do seem unable to see the perspective outlined by points A, B, and C above.

• Phil C says:

D) Price’s contract was signed when the cap was $70M, not $64M. GMs were to forced to spend money that year. If the new CBA had included an across the board rollback like last time, Price’s salary would be more reasonable. The players decided to draw the line on existing contracts, so we got what we have now.

• Sportfan says:

Question is can he deal with Hitchcock for the season?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Disagree, Health is his biggest question mark. When he has been healthy, he has played well for Hitch, and what goalie wouldn’t want to play for Hitch given the style of game he makes his team play. Halak entering his UFA year, couldn’t be playing in a better situation to get him a huge contract this coming off season.

• Chris says:

This will be an interesting year in St. Louis.

If healthy, Halak is a good goalie, and he’s got two other good goalies pushing him. But the eventual winner of the starting goaltender job (which is Halak’s to lose) is only one of the three big questions I would ask regarding the Blues:

1) Who is the starter?
          2) Where are the goals going to come from?
          3) Is this the year that the players start to tune out Hitchcock?

Hitchcock, like Pat Burns, has had a track record of turning teams around only to see the players tire of the motivational tactics and “tough love” style of coaching in year 3 or 4 of each tenure. This is Hitchcock’s third season with the Blues, after four year stints with each of Columbus and Philadelphia.

• HabFab says:

I wondered who would put that up? L will be watching you now :)

• habtastic74 says:

Interestingly I would name Halak as one goaltender who, “wouldn’t want to play for Hitch given the style of game he makes his team play.” I don’t recall any exacts, but while he was with the Habs his stats in games where he saw 40+ shots were amazing. His record was even amazing in those games. On the other hand, if he saw fewer than 30 or something like that I remember that his stats were significantly less impressive. Maybe Jaro actually needs to go to another team that spends most of the game in their own end.

• DeadEnd says:

If I remember correctly, Cujo was like that. If he wasn’t facing 40+ a night, he probably wasn’t going to win.

• on2ndthought says:

nice piece, I wish him luck until the finals (against us of course)

62. Hstands4Hockey says:

Markov is another reason Montreal needs to sign another defenseman. He’s going to need the odd night off and can’t be playing 25min a game. While I recognize the need to find ice-time for Tinordi and Bealieau, we need another veteran D back there to stabalize things until they are truly ready for a full time NHL workload.

Why not bring back Gill or Hainsey on a 1-year deal? There’s no harm in doing so if they don’t work out.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

63. FishOutOfWater says:

well here’s to markov and price proving everybody wrong!

64. Sportfan says:

I hope they keep Markovs TOI lower than 20 on average, he’s still a huge pp factor!

Price has a new goalie coach and soon to be new bride I really believe he’ll turn it around and have a great season from beginning to end!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I hope he skips the Olympics. Doubtful though.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

65. Hstands4Hockey says:

Wow, some earth-shattering analysis by nhl.com.

“Montreal is too small, will be a bubble team” – Every analyst, every year.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

66. on2ndthought says:

Once again Carey’s contract is mentioned as if he is one of the top paid goalies. From what I showed yesterday he is the 9th or 10th highest paid goalie in the NHL. His package is complete. Athletes have good great and bad games/streaks/years. He is our goalie until Fucale is ready (5, 6 years) and he’s a damn good one. My rule of thumb for goalies is they are still developing until they are 27.

I do also worry about wear and tear on Markov. I hope MT takes it easy on him through the season, so he is rested for the playoffs, which is where he needs him at his best. Let Franky, Gorges, PK and Diaz/? eat up the minutes early in the season. Markov can be situational, which is where we should be using him if we re-sign him.

• shiram says:

He’s got the 4th highest cap hit for a goalie, and salary is not as important as cap hit.

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

67. HabFanSince72 says:

“having turned 26 this past Friday, Price is leaving the realm of being considered young.”

Ouch!

68. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Roger Ramjet all the way!

69. and yet he’s playing in the NHL and you’re posting under what, you’re 98th ID?

Welcome, I’m sure your stay will be a memorable one. :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31

70. doc359 says:

Didn’t realize I was walking under a bridge….