Markov the ‘X-Factor’ for Canadiens

The Canadiens were the focus of NHL.com’s 30 in 30 feature on Monday as the website continues its look at every team in the league heading into the 2013-14 season.

The “X-Factor” for the Canadiens, according to LNH.com managing editor Arpon Basu, is Andrei Markov and whether he can stay healthy for a full season.

Writes Basu: “The question is whether Markov, who turns 34 on Dec. 20, will be able to manage the rigors of a full 82-game slate – particularly in an Olympic year when the schedule will be similarly compressed, as it was last season?”

Basu adds: “Much of the team’s ability to improve its performance in the spring will depend on how well Markov manages his energy to maintain his level of play until then.”

In another 30 in 30 article, Basu asks: “Is Carey Price an elite goaltender?

“Price is certainly paid like one, topping the Canadiens payroll with a $6.5 million salary-cap charge, and he definitely has the talent to be among the NHL’s best,” Basu writes. “However he has yet to reach the upper echelon of his profession, and having turned 26 this past Friday, Price is leaving the realm of being considered young.”

You can read the entire NHL.com 30 in 30 feature on the Canadiens by clicking here.

Meanwhile, Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Monday that goaltender Dustin Tokarski has been signed to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2013-14 season.

Tokarski, 23, played 15 games with the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs in 2012-13, posting a 6-8 record with a 2.22 goals-against average and a .927 save percentage. The 5-foot-11, 198-pounder also played 33 games with the Syracuse Crunch, posting an 18-8-4 record, a 2.46 goals against average and a .900 save percentage.

The Humboldt, Sask., native was acquired from the Tampa Bay Lightning in return for goaltender Cédrick Desjardins on Feb. 14, 2013.  He helped the Norfolk Admirals win the AHL’s Calder Cup in 2012.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Top 10 Best Goals of Alex Galchenyuk’s Career, Canadiens.com

1. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

2. twilighthours says:

A new thread, if you care.

Think of it like a blank canvas, where we can post links to girls’ behinds, all fresh and anew.

3. Bripro says:

Men’s butts and smoke meat. There a correlation in there somewhere.
    Man, the season can’t start soon enough.

4. La Duke 16 says:

6 weeks until opening night!!

Can’t wait!!

5. sweetmad says:

For all the women on here

I was feeling particularly old,I had an invitation to a wedding,my oldest grandaughter who is 25,is getting married.Then I went on the HABS site and there was a video of PK doing strength training,brought a shiver to me.

Got to thinking,about the guys on here who have to go surfing the web looking at females for their kicks,us women on here get to see,all the beautiful bodies every time our team hits the ice.I know that they all have equipment on,but I still have a really good imagination.

I have seen Gallagher in just his shorts and for his age he is built,wouldn’t mind seeing the new improved Lars in his shorts,and Markov is something else.I saw the picture of StLouis in his shorts,that was a sight to behold.

I don’t feel so old now, knowing I can still appreciate a beautiful man.
    When I see all the young men today,I just wished that they all looked like that when I was young,the guys didn’t go to the gym or anything like that then,they just caarrid on and let themselves go.

Girls today are so lucky.
    GO HABS GO

6. punkster says:

Front…don’t listen to Timo.

Any golf tips I may provide are guaranteed to make you look bad in front of anybody…and my marriage tips will definitely lead to repeated out of bounds penalties.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

7. ClutchNGrab says:

“Top 10 Best Goals of Alex Galchenyuk’s Career, Canadiens.com”

Galchenyuk has:
    2 goals in shootout
    9 goals in regular season
    1 goal in playoff

Let’s talk about managing expectations…

Here’s the real Hab “X” factor – especially if MT gives him the ice time he deserves. He needs to join Pleks as the 1A/B dynamic duo down the middle.

9. shiram says:

Being a Montrealer for nearly 10 years now, and having visited plenty of times before that, it felt right yesterday to finally tryout one of the culinary institution of Montreal, one that’s been in this city for over 80 years and garners the attentions of celebrities…

I had a date, and while I had offered a number of places for us to try out, she insisted we go to Schwartz.

She did not know about the seating arrangment, so was disappointed we had to share our table with another familly.

The waiter came, and would not let us take our meat lean, he insisted we take medium, so we did on his recommandation.

The meat was drooling with fat, and the fat overwhelmed any other taste, it was awful really.
    We finished our meal, and went for a walk, and I started pretty quickly to feel a stomach ache.
    My date was alright for about an hour, later she started to feel it too, growling stomach, bloating…

So that’s about that, I’ll never go to that place again, there are much better smoked meat places in Montreal, and I’m left thinking Schwartz is probably just going on past merits, it’s old reputation and tourists coming in.

“The game isn’t played on the weight scale and it’s not played in the gym, it’s played on the ice and it’s whoever wanted it more.” #81

• HabFanSince72 says:

Moderators!

• on2ndthought says:

seriously, mods or meds!

“a cannonading drive”

• shiram says:

Have you been there recently?
        I was wondering if they had changed recipe or product recently, since they changed owners/management.

• on2ndthought says:

they did change ownership a few years back, but kept the same staff – cooks. You just weren’t properly prepared. You order the extra fatty, that’s where the flavour is, and you share with your date, unless you’ve spent years properly intoxicating your body so that the smoked meat rolls through you; detoxifying all true evil in your system. Seriously, it’s called taste for a reason, we all have our own. Montreal smoked meat is a rich witches brew. The ‘fat’ dripping out is a mix of collagens and fats, the key is cooking time, and I know Swartz’s will not risk their reputation. There are many good or great smoked meat shops around town, but if you order lean, it may be easier on your system, but it’s not real. (IMO)

“a cannonading drive”

• Cal says:

Order lean and it might not kill you as quick.
            Smoked meat that is all fat is nothing but disgusting. It’s the nitrates and 5 million grams of sodium that make or break it. Sounds like it’s broken, at least according to Shiram.

I have only been there once and it was many years ago, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn’t Celine Dion and her husband buy the place in 2012? Is it possible that recipe’s have changed, or perhaps the emphasis on buying the best quality meat has had its standards lowered in order to provide better profits for the new owners?

• shiram says:

That’s what I was wondering too.

• Say Ash says:

You lived in Montreal for 10 years without ever going to Schwartz?

• shiram says:

Yeah, and now I’m totally disappointed with the experience….

• Sap Anderson says:

Nonsense! Schwartz’s is still the best! No need to blame your weak stomach on them.. I’ve thrown some fancy parties with gourmet chefs and caterers on many occasions, and if there is Schwartz’s present, that is the only food that gets eaten

• shiram says:

My stomach is quite strong, believe you me.
        Have you been there recently?

• Sap Anderson says:

Yes, I have and found it to be pretty good, but you’re right not as good as usual. I think this was because a few of the regular staff were off. Normally it’s great, but if you want to try something else go to Dunn’s they are very good too

• shiram says:

Yup I know Dunn’s
            I also enjoy Le Roy du Smoked Meat, on St-Hubert.

• Bripro says:

It’s OK Shiram.
      Lisa and I were there many years ago, under previous ownership, and I’m with you.
      I love lean smoke meat, and theirs is just too fatty for us.
      I don’t know how many Chenoy’s are left in Montreal, but theirs, IMO, was the best in the city.
      The two locations we’ve visited are now closed.
      The only fatty foods I still crave are from Chalet BBQ on Sherbrooke.
      Other than that, being a tree hugger Happy Smurf (did you hear?), I’m content with tofu. :)
      Wait until I invite some fellow HIO friends for supper, are they in for a surprise.

• Habfan10912 says:

Chrisadiens and I were there about 5 years ago and we enjoyed it. I will add we set at a table with other strangers as well and we had a ball.

• D Mex says:

Mr dad knew old Mr Schwartz – he would send a smoked turkey to the house every now and then, and we visited the restaurant as his guests a couple of times. I’ll never forget the dimensions of that place – classic lol !

Dad also knew Charlie Coorsh, whose vacu-packed smoked meat was everywhere in those days – this was back in the 60s. Anyhow, of the two, I preferred the Coorsh smoked meat – no stomach aches with that.

Thinking back, I probably wasn’t enough of a connaisseur to appreciate the Schwartz smoked meat but, if I ever get back there, I’ll be sure to take a pack of alka-seltzer just to be safe :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Praj12 says:

I am a montrealer and never went to Schwartz’s until I moved to Ontario. It was back in 2001 and man the sandwich was so bad that I threw my smoke meat sandwich out!! It was like eating dried roast beef!! And folks say that they are the best in Montreal??!! To the ones that do, you know squat!! Who here remembers CurlyQ’s on the corner of decarie and cote vertu? not far from decarie hot dogs, another awesome joint? And to say that Chenoys is better than Schwartz’s is another rediculous statement.

There is a place on St.Louis street, off of Blvd Marcel Laurin ( old Laurention Blvd in St.Laurant, that sells the best smoked meat in the world. It is owned by an older jewish fella ( Who else eh?) and this stuff melts in your mouth, give it a shot !! St.Laurent Deli is it’s name.

HABS fan since ’68

• No.4isNo.1 says:

I grew up half a block from Curly’sQ (Norgate apts) and have always considered them the best. What was lacking in atmosphere was more than made up for in taste.

Better times are ahead

• kalevine says:

last time I had a montreal smoked meat was 1989 at the Snowdon Deli. IT was a few hours before my flight back to Vancouver where I was living at the time. I was bloated like a beach whale for those few hours. IN my case I attributed it to no longer being used to the richness and the nitrites, etc, and having a sensitive gut at the best of times.

PLEASE call the HOTEL, not me for hotel reservation! ONLY 10 rooms left.!

2013 SUMMIT HOTEL RATE AGREEMENT
    Hockey Inside Out
    REQUIREMENT
    Arrival : Friday 25th, 26th October, 2013 – check-in 15:00
    Departure : check-out 12:00
    Housing Procedure: Individual calling
    Deadline: September 25th 2013
    Method of Payment : Individual
    Although the hotel is not blocking any rooms, it guarantees the below rates until September 25th 2013.
    After that date, the rates are no longer guaranteed
    Tarification
    Single Double Triple Quad
    $119 $119 $144 $169
    RATES
    - Are for single or double occupancy, Add $25 per additional person, max. 4 per room
    - Include Basic Internet Access (256kb)
    - Does not include high speed internet. a daily fee of $9.95 applies
    - All tax’s apply per room per night
    - Will be extended 3 days prior to and/or following your event, subject to availability
    - Are quoted in Canadian funds
    METHOD OF RESERVATION
    - Individual attendees will be responsible for payment of their room, tax and incidental, as well as any cancellation charges if they apply.
    - One night deposit is required upon reservation. This is non refundable if cancelled.

- Individual reservations can be made by contacting the Novotel Montreal Centre Reservations Department directly by phone at 514-871-2138 or 1-866-861-6112 (USA and Canada) or by fax at 514-861-6470
    Callers must mention the group name HIO, Hockey Inside Out to ensure they receive the appropriate rate and are included in the guest room block.
    Novotel Montreal Center
    Chantal Morin

Given that the Jays have provided nothing entertaining to watch this MLB season, it is great that at least there is Miguel Cabrera to watch. What an unbelievable story. When Prince Fielder was signed by the Tigers everyone thought the big benefit for Cabrera would be the protection in the lineup. I think the biggest benefit was actually the fact Cabrera was forced to get himself back into better shape as he had to move from first base to third base and the numbers he has put up since are mind boggling.

12. ZepFan2 says:

Happy Birthday Robert Plant!

Leo’s Rock!!

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

13. Marcusman says:

We could certainly use this guy….on D.

maybe ship someone out of town for a bunch of picks to free up the $$$ under the cap…i’m sure he’d take 1 Mil to keep playing.

14. Mavid says:

Somber day at work today..anniversary of the “incident”

15. Luke says:

So, Outbrain is suggesting that I may like: Habs Players make holiday visit to Hospital.

I didn’t click, but I’m guessing that Gionta, Bourque and Markov were there, and it wasn’t for charity…

:D

16. Psycho29 says:

Interesting notes at the end of L.Ian MacDonald’s Gazette article from October 1974….Discussing the quality (or lack) of NHL hockey (expansion teams in Washington and Kansas City) and how high ticket prices had become:

Reds $10.50
    Grey $ 7.75
    Blue $ 5.00

17. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! I get called all kinds of names, doesn’t bug me at all. Mrs.Front has been challenging me to a round of golf for a couple of weeks now and last night she called me a chickensh#t! Tee time at high noon today. Saludos!

Did you mean to say ChickenSmurf? I am guessing that perhaps you treat today’s round of golf like a business golf game. Let the customer win……. Of course we all know that you are the customer! :) Enjoy Front, make sure you stay hydrated on the course, granted by choosing a tee time after 11am you have ensured this indeed will be the case!

• Timo says:

Call Punkster for golf tips. Don’t want to look bad in front of a lady.

• Bripro says:

And contrary to what Burly will tell you, the game doesn’t start on the 19th hole, Front.

I think most of us have always had some contempt with Flyers fans, or at least we know Hickey sure does. Perhaps this story explains better than most, how bad it is to be a Flyer fan.