Markov suffers setback in rehab: Report

AndreiMarkov

According to Tony Marinaro of the Team 990, who has consistently had scoops on this story, Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov suffered a setback several week ago when he was diagnosed with water in his knee.

Marinaro says that Markov has his knee drained in the United States and now must take time to rehab it again. The radio host says Markov developed the problem as a result of training too hard in order to be ready for the 2011-12 season.

Former NHLer Enrico  Ciccone, speaking on TVA Sports’ L’Esprit d’équipe, expressed doubt that Markov would be ready for the season opener in Toronto. Rehab of the defenceman’s knee is not going as well as hoped, Ciccone added, placing Markov’s season in jeopardy.

The Canadiens have indicated they will not comment on the Markov situation until the players have their medical tests on Friday.

But this news will create a media frenzy in Montreal on Thursday, and team management almost certainly will be obliged to respond.

Dave Stubbs on Max Pacioretty’s busy summer and Carey Price’s adjustment to new glass at the Bell Centre

Pat Hickey on AK46

Arpon Basu on Habs’ optimism and on Markov

J.T. on Markov

More prospect rankings

Bulldogs season preview

Cammalleri on head shots

• New contracts for Marchand, Tavares, Bogosian

NHL to implement social media policy

1. wall2bay says:

This puts an end to all my Komisarek jokes to Laff fans. He’s our Sergei Gonchar, we should’ve known and signed Wiz instead.

Never understood why it had to be a 3yr deal and at that $$$? Could’ve lived with the same $ but 1yr.

Maybe we pick up a guy like McCabe on the cheap now.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

2. 123456 says:

Two (2) questions – one legit and the other not so much. Let’s start with legit.

1) Dave et al., does anyone know why the habs were not interested in resigning Drew MacIntyre? Did he not want to return? It seemed he was going to be the #1 for the Bulldogs if he returned.

2) A few people below are talking about resigning Wiz over the summer instead of Markov. Not sure if you guys understood that Wiz was looking for more money elsewhere. I guess this is not a question but rather a statement.

3. I just noticed that Cedrick Desjardins has already moved on to another team (Avs).

The world was crashing down about this guy and now he (like most of said) will be playing another year in the AHL and most likely a career AHLer.

Matthew has PeeWee A tryouts tonight. I love watching him play hockey. The team is also looking for a head coach, however I declined due to my Summit commitments. Nothing worse than having your head coach gone all the time.

I put together my Summit Prize.

15 cards double matted and framed. 5 of the cards are autographed by Hall Of Fame Canadien members. Whomever picks my prize should be happy.

Received my 16 Nov game tickets yesterday via FED Ex. The Bruins tickets should follow soon.

I was an idiot when I got my Canes tickets. I paid 90 bucks for whites. I thought the Bell would be sold out of seats but alas I could have used my wife’s visa and got the seats I really wanted. (200s). Oh well, I’ll know for next year.

This report is brought you by Brandon, MB’s Biggest Canadiens Fan.

The 2011 Summit

This will be one to remember.
    And don’t forget the Children’s Foundation Auction.
    Raffle tickets are 20.00 ea or 3 for 40.00
    Everyone should bring one item to raffle off.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

Ryan Whites family must be in close competition with you now for that title Sholi!

Good luck to your kid at tryouts tonight.

• punkster says:

Looking forward to seeing you again Shane and the prize package sounds great.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LNev says:

“I ran 3.2 ks three times this week. No head aches, but man was I ever slow. This extra 50 I’m hauling around could kill a guy.”

Congrats man!

Running is a challenge, but one day you’ll find yourself out there humming along and you’ll think to yourself… “man, I remember when 3km was my long run… ”

Good for you.

4. 123456 says:

hopefully just a little fluid to drain and he will be back. personally i prefer markov @ 100% going into the playoff having only played 50 games than playing 82. sometimes some rest at the beginning or the middle of the season can be a blessing as long at a player is at 100% come april.

What years did Enrico Ciccone attend the Mark Recchi School of Medicine program? Did he graduate, if so with honours?

6. habsrock_3 says:

When Markov re-injured his knee last yr, I knew he would be done. I think we should have only signed him to a 1 yr deal, big mistake to do a multi yr deal! If it doesn’t count against the cap though, then I guess no harm, right? In terms of trading him, not sure who would want him with this chronic knee prob. I feel so bad for the guy, he’s one of the Russians that plays with heart! Given that Hammer and Wizard are no longer with us, looks like there a spot for whoever impresses at camp, otherwise I guess its Webber’s spot to lose, which I am not sure I am happy about.

7. Does anybody have the exact date AM had his knee drained? If so, How long before AM is allowed to start rehab again on his knee?

8. Dave Stubbs says:

I’m mildly surprised that it took until the team’s golf tournament for fear and loathing to reach epidemic proportions in Hab-land.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
    • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

• Bill J says:

This years Chicken Little moment. What’s next, the fans boo Markov during pre-season games ?

If you want a days count till Habs hockey, I recommend this as your home page: http://bit.ly/mTnegr

In fairness Dave, given the news that was just leaked/came out knowing the fan base as you do, did you expect anything else?

Not sure there was the standard reason for epidemic fear and loathing until this came out.

But in the end, you guys have to be happy for the extra hits generated. LOL

• Dave Stubbs says:

I’m guessing this won’t be the last “crisis” we’ll see this season. Should make for an interesting media session tomorrow at medicals, anyway. More than a few players we didn’t speak with yesterday hopefully will be available – Markov, Gill, Plekanec, Spacek, Moen and Budaj among them.

Dave Stubbs

Hockey Inside/Out
        Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
        • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1
        • Email: dstubbs@montrealgazette.com

Yah no doubt tomorrow should be a feeding frenzy, no need to bring chum its all in the water already. I am guessing you will be needing to wear a helmet, elbow and shoulder pads to get in the scrum with PG/JM when the Markov update comes out. Good luck, man appreciate all you do for us fans here. Cheers!

9. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The news on Markov is not great, but to have this news discussed on a grey and rainy day is even worse. It’s like an old-school Goth gig on HIO today. The gamble was a failure, PG must be fired, Wiz was suddenly good, Hamrlik was getting younger every day, we’ll never see another Cup and it’s already September 15th and we’re not in the play-offs.
    The Habs’ best defenceman has a knee injury. The team knows exactly what’s wrong with the knee. They paid him a pile of their money so they must figure he’ll be back and be good. Relax gang. Chill. In a few weeks, if the Habs do start out well (touch wood) there will be a sea of posters saying early in the season games are meaningless.
    Can they cover for the short term loss of Markov? Yeah. Is Markov healthy better than Wiz? It’s no contest. Would he be a major loss? Huge. Is he a loss? Not yet.

10. j0nHABS says:

J.T.’s very first statement is wrong, PG didn’t say that Markov wouldn’t be able to start the season, he said that if the season started right now then he wouldn’t be ready, there is still time for his injury to come around. The fact of the matter is no one knows what is really happening with Markov (especially the media), only Markov and his doctor’s know, he could be ready for the start of the season. And even if he isn’t the team has proven that the can play well without him, he is only one player on a very good team! Everyone settle down.

Is it October Yet??

Thankfully as JM pointed out at the Golf tourney, Friday all players will get their physicals. Obviously after that JM and PG will be extremely forthcoming (they always are) and tell us all about Andrei, Josh and MaxPac’s recovery.

I believe PG acted on signing Andrei with complete advice from Doctors assuring him that AM’s knee surgery went fine and recovery was/is fully expected. If indeed he got this agua on the knee purely as a result of overexertion in rehab and no infection sets in, this should result in a few week delay of the rehab process. I seem to recall hearing it would be touch and go whether he was technically to be ready for Training Camp even at the outset. It would be unfortunate if we don’t have him for the first few weeks of the regular season, but if indeed he does come back healthy by Nov. we should be in pretty good shape.

But we do have right to be concerned if indeed the setback becomes more serious. With regards to Wiz, he went through all these rehabs as well on his knees and has gone on to recover well. Lets hope the same for Andrei.

Anyways, I am not trying to sound like an eternal optimist who believes everything Mgmt does turns to gold, but rather realize talent wise Markov is the better signing between Wiz and he provided he be healthy.

If it turns out worse, then that decision will be and should be second guessed as that is what fans and media tend to do. But until it is shown that full recovery is not expected I will hope for the best.

12. Brinkley says:

Let’s face it, like it or not, Markov apparently has become ‘injury prone’ at this stage of his career.

Yet another brilliant managerial decision (to let experienced D men walk) may cost Pierre Gauthier his job…we can only hope so.

• Mike D says:

Brinkley,
      PG offered Hammer a one year contract which he turned down so he didn’t “let him walk”. As for Wiz, would you really want to pay him 5.5mil a season? Yeah he can put up points, but he’s not sound defensively and he’s also had major knee issues.

- Honestly yours

13. JF says:

The news that Markov might not be ready to start the season has fans bemoaning the team’s decision not to offer a contract to James Wisniewski, but the decision not to re-sign Roman Hamrlik might be the more serious error. Hamrlik played huge minutes the last two years when Markov was injured, and his contribution was invaluable, although often overlooked by Habs fans. The fact the team offered him a one-year deal is proof they valued his services; and the two-year deal he signed with Washington does not look so bad now. If Markov misses significant time, our defence suddenly goes from solid to shaky, with half of it made up of guys with little or no NHL experience and with Spacek no doubt playing way too many minutes. It could be a rough start to the season, worse than that if Markov misses more than a few games.

• jimmy shaker says:

hammer did log large minutes last year, but those minutes were filled with mistakes, poor d-zone coverage and very little offensive support. I’m happy he’s gone and think that a Diaz or Yemelin or Weber are more than capable of doing the job IF Marky is a no go for the season. I’d rather see and except a mistake or two from a younger D than see a vet like Hammer make them! The boys will be fine!

Shaker

14. Duracell3 says:

Just going to leave the most epic goal of all time here:

15. The Dude says:

After a 20 year wait this is painful news about Markov.Sh!t news like this is kinda what I felt would happen with this injury when it blew up the last time and its a pity.Maybe Bobby Orr can give him pointers on how to be better than most on one leg? Sooner or later these long term contracts gambled up in Vegas with ailing or fading hockey stars is going too throw the whole season under a Bus before it even starts. Is this truly how you build a Stanley Cup team?

• deuce6 says:

Markov definitely has the talent to justify his contract, but was it worth such a huge risk knowing he was such a gamble to come back to anywhere near 100% to let a 50 point d-man go? No…Markov was a good d-man before his injuries, but how good will he be if he only plays half the games or any at all?

I still think the risk was too high in giving him such a lucrative deal on such a big question mark on his knee..

Now we have no Hamrlik and Wiz to give his minutes to…Instead we have 2 players that haven’t played 1 NHL game that may HAVE to be NHL ready to eat some of those minutes (Emelin/Diaz) or dare I say it…Spacek? Yikes..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Da Hema says:

The notion that signing Markov was a “risk” or a “gamble” or other similar claims gaining some currency is really, with all due respect, a bunch of crap.

If Markov can no longer play, then his contract does not count against the cap, and the Canadiens can make the permanent move to replace him via, e.g., trade.

Moreover, this past summer there really was not a comparable free agent defenceman the Canadiens could have gone after, that is, one who could offer the total game Markov can bring. Let’s face it: the Wiz brought offence from the blueline, but he is a dreadful defensive defenceman.

If Markov is hurt again, his salary is Geoff Molson’s problem. I am sure Molson can do without that ivory back scratcher.

16. RetroMikey says:

Great, we have signed Markov who is injury prone and Gauthier made a big blunder by not signing Wiz, a good old fashioned American boy who plays 200%.
    I really believe Markov will never play to his full potential ever again whether with the Habs or with another team.
    His career is over and we wasted millions on signing him.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Stev.R says:

I’m sorry but does no one remember how invisible Wiz was the last 30 games of the season? Like he wasn’t bad but he certainly wasn’t a game changer at the end of the year. He played great in New York and really good when he first came over, but he wasn’t that big of a loss. Get over it. His 2 points in the playoffs wasn’t very impressive either. I liked the guy but he doesn’t even come close to measuring up to Markov, who I still believe is a top 5 dman in the league, and probably top 3 defensive defencemen in the league. Ya, I said defensive defenceman, and he puts up points. Water on the knee is such a non-issue. The at worst comparable to getting strep throat. The only damage it does is it keeps you from staying in shape, and its the beginning of the season. He’s fine, and he will be fine all year.

• deuce6 says:

So you hope….and for the Wiz comparison, at least he was on the ice..Just sayin’..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• RetroMikey says:

Markov is not a defensive defenseman, he has major flaws in his defensive game and I’d rather have Wiz in front of Price protecting the crease than Markov.
        Wiz may not be talented as Markov but the guy will play with a broken arm and suit for us.
        Can’t say much about Markov if he would do the same.
        We gambled on Markov this year plain and simple.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

17. JIMVINNY says:

I can’t believe there are still people saying that PG should have signed Markov to a one year deal.

If that would have been possible, PG would have done it. But there was no way Markov or his agent were going to accept that. It was wither a multi year deal, or they’d have walked, and found another team willing to offer it.

• deuce6 says:

So, you let him walk and give that $$ to Wiz…We now have no Wiz and maybe no Markov..Markov was a gamble…Unless he plays at a level he was at before his knee injury, then it was terrible asset management by PG..You NEVER give that type of contract to a player if there is ANY question marks on his recovery…

Obviously, PG is sweating bullets right now..Which he should be..For his sake, Markov better come back and play close to or at the level he was at prior or that contract will not be justified…

I hated the contract from the time I heard about it…Now you know why..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Stev.R says:

What do you mean for his sake? It’s not like his job is on the line. He has not made one decision yet that has turned out to be bad.

And Markov will earn his money, don’t you worry about it.

• deuce6 says:

Blind to reality or overly optimistic? How long have you been a Habs fan? There is a HUGE amount of pressure on this team every year to win..If we don’t make the playoffs or Markov’s injury is more than what the team is making it, PG’s job will be on the line…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• deuce6 says:

“And Markov will earn his money, don’t you worry about it.”

After reading this article, I am worried..How can you not be?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Stev.R says:

Water on the knee is such an insignificant injury. Its just swelling which puts a little pain on the joint. You drain, it, you rest it, you ice it. No permanent damage. The worst thing about it is he may not be able to be in tip-top shape when he starts the season. But it’s the beginning of the season so no big deal. I totally expect him back for season opener.

• Jim Edson says:

Water on the knee insignificant?

If it was insignificant then there would be no need for an invasive procedure to drain the fluid.

It was significant enough to warrant flying to the US to have his Doctor drain it!

The same fluid which is the result of inflammation of the joint.

Obviously copious quantities of Advil didn’t do the job!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

18. deuce6 says:

Just for the record, I was weary of this when PG gave him his extension…I said the safer route was to keep Wiz..Now we have a guy with a bum knee and no Wiz….Great…

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Trisomy 21 says:

What do you mean ‘now’? his knee was injured for 2 seasons now. This is a set back, it’s not another injury. We’re talking a little more time to recover, not complete rehabilitation. This doesn’t mean the season is done. Worst case he misses up to Dec. by which he will be in prime shape in Jan. Let’s spare the I told you so business for when he plays through the season or reinjures the knee.

• deuce6 says:

What I mean by “now” is exactly what it says..We have a guy with a bum knee making 6M a season…Its black and white..I have had reconstructive surgery (MCL) on my knee and it has never been the same..So, I have a bum knee, no?

Markov has a bum knee..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Trisomy 21 says:

This isn’t some new injury. Markov’s knee has been “bum” all summer and including last summer. He made the same money with the same injury and has been on the IR for 2 seasons. I’ll ask you the same question you asked someone above. How long have you been a habs fan?

19. Mr. Biter says:

I remember back before AM was re-signed stating ny case to keep Wiz instead due to AM’s knee injury and no one knowing if or when he would come back or how he would play. Seems like my thoughts are unfortunatly coming through. Now we have AM and I hope this is just a minor setback and he plays like he did before his 2 leg injuries but knees are funny things and if he is out for an extended time (and I hope he’s not) we are heading into the season prehaps in the same shape we were in when AM went down but no one liek Wiz around to pick up. Also still waiting for some muscle to protect our smaller players.

Mr. Biter

20. Neutral says:

let’s talk about Kostitsyn, wonder how his comments about JM is gonna fly this year. I think AK had a legit reason after all, JM jerked him around last year. He was doing fine on a line with Cammy and Pleks at the start of the season. then JM decided he was gonna kick start Gomez so I wouldn’t totally blame AK a lot had to do with JM’s coaching….

Can’t wait for the comments.

• Trisomy 21 says:

On TSN they had a clip of AK downplaying it all saying he has no problems with JK (JM said the same) and that the reporter was looking for a story. Which makes sense to me but at the same time saying this stuff is in the best interest of all parties. Either way though I don’t think anything will change and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he stays in MTL

21. D Mex says:

As I entered a rink in Kelowna this AM (the same building also houses an off-season training facility used by Gorges, Price, Weber and others), Wade Redden was walking out.

Appears he is working out here until heading to his AHL club’s training camp … or gets a call from someone looking for help on the back end (?). Unknown what is left on the deal he signed with Sather but, if remaining term is relatively short, just putting it out there that he could be a temporary fix for the Habs if the Markov situation drags on. Thoughts ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• longbow says:

NOOOOOOOOOO !!!

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• Matt. says:

I think its three years at 6.5M per…. brutal contract. One of the worst in the NHL. I’m sure the Canadiens could send a NHL winger and a top defense prospect for him though…. wait…
      I read a couple times last year that Redden could still be an NHL defenseman, but in a bottom pairing role and not at that price.

Uh, what i’m saying is the Canadiens should not pick up Redden.

22. durocher says:

Do we sign some insurance (aside from Woywitka)? Our bottom three right now are Emelin, Weber, and Diaz. These are all guys with limited to no NHL experience. I’m hoping Marky is ready to go, but, if he’s not and if we get another injury, we’re screwed.

Campoli, Price and Gorges’ buddy, is still available.

23. Propwash says:

Meh, play it by ear. Or plan b PANIC!!!!

24. longbow says:

I sense some frustration.

25. Neutral says:

Markov he’s the guy PG signed to babysit Yemelin or Emelin whatever you want to call him.

26. Lafrich says:

Who is Markov?

27. RiverviewCanadien says:

It’s OK.

Just means TWO big contracts buried in the minors by Christmas, and that means more money.

EDIT: Sarcasm..not always subtle. Seriously though, with this news, the Crosby for Markov + Top 6 Forward + 1st Rounder deal is about to go through. Can’t wait for Sid playing in the Bleu Blanc Rouge

28. Neutral says:

DeanDalley: it doesn’t matter what you say on this site someone will disagree…

I am not surprised at all the knee jerk reactions.

30. LL says:

Ahh, I had missed all this chaos.

31. DEANDALLEY says:

Should have kept the wiz …

32. JohnBellyful says:

Started a subscription to the Hockey Truth Monger today and just got my first bit of news about Markov’s condition. Apparently, the water they found in his knee was fluoridated.

33. Matt H says:

Is anyone really surprised by this? as soon as Markov goes into the corner against…. well anyone there’s going to be another issue.
    Markov is an elite talent, but he is injury prone.

Keeping Markov over Wiz was a risk and the Canadiens did it. The Canadiens should have kept both and released “Chins” Spacek. Wiz would have stayed for less money in Montreal than playing for Columbus.

I really hope Diaz and Yemelin are good because they are going to get a chance to prove it.

• Chrisadiens says:

Release Spacek? This ain’t the NFL.

Wow, Wiz would’ve stayed for less money in Montreal? Can you get his autograph for me, since you know/talk to him?

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Matt H says:

Buy him out, send him to Hamilton, whatever.

• Mark C says:

35+ contract, can only save 100K by sending him to Hamiton. No buy out savings.

• Chrisadiens says:

Ugh, can you learn the salary cap/contract rules before you make comments like this? We’ve covered this topic a million times.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Trisomy 21 says:

We can’t all frequent the comments section now

• Chrisadiens says:

@Trisomy
            True. Should have left that part out. I still think hockey fans should understand the basic contract/salary cap rules.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Matt. says:

My apologies for not covering your millions of hard fought debates discussing buy outs on HIO during the summer. I hope you did something else during the summer.

My understanding was the Canadiens could have bought Spacek out for about 1.3M over two seasons… you save a roster spot and i don’t have to watch Spacek anymore…. maybe that is not the case. I will not look into it as i refuse to take any sort of directions from high and mighty internet commenters who spend way too much time on the internet.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Chris I think our definitions of basic differ. I don’t even know those rules about the clearing cap room very well and I would consider myself a bigger hockey fan than most people I know personally. However I’m glad to learn a few new things regarding these 35+ caveats

• Chrisadiens says:

@Matt
            Nice! My first personal attack on HIO. You’ll always have a special place in my heart Matt. You are my first, after all. I always pictured it would be on a beach with candles but…..

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• DEANDALLEY says:

Matt

No one in here wants to admit Markov is damaged other than U & I

34. Mark C says:

Get out the tinfoil out, Marinaro has the “real” scoop: http://twitter.com/#!/TonyMarinaro

35. this just in, my contact is an ass, markov is fine, i apologize to all

36. Everlasting1 says:

Andrew Berkie Jr. is living proof that fluoride supplements are not beneficial nor recommended. Regardless, he swears by it.

——————————————————————-
    “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

37. avatar_58 says:

Oh I really hope all this bs is overblown and it’s a minor setback. If he’s out or in a position to be knocked down early…..then the GM looks like a complete fool.

If markov LOOKED on track and 100%? Then hey, shite happens. However if Gauthier knew it was a risk then this whole thing looks far far worse.

• HardHabits says:

Are you kidding? HIO needs hits.

Let me get the ball rolling.

I knew Markov’s house of cards knee was going to crumble. They rushed him again. Wiz was the better bet.

I heard some other rumours.

Price doesn’t want to play with the Habs any more.

PK wants out too.

Gomez is just going through the motions, you know, saying all the right things. He’s gonna be smoking his fatties with Cheech and Chong soon.

AK put a hit on JM. He’s gotta get out of town first so it doesn’t look suspicious but Hammer and Sergei are in the know. Expect AK to be traded by year’s end.

RDS will soon report that Cammy hasn’t been to any of his French lessons and uses Google translate for his French tweets.

I’ve got more inside scoops but I’ll save them for a slow day.

38. DEANDALLEY says:

So what else is new.

Markov is damaged goods …..

Markov is a 6th round pick. The Habs got a 5th for Wisniewski. We’re covered.

40. punkster says:

Scary stuff and for real. There’s an actual organization called The Knee Society.

I caution you to read at your own peril. The info contained and linked here plus other reputable medical sites discussing knee ailments will have you quaking in your boots.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

41. I take back every post i was blazé about regarding markov, i have an in with the training staff in brossard and their is serious chatter that hes out for the season

not just water on the knee (if that apparantly)

apparantly its a complete re-tweak

i dunno what to say

42. Mark C says:

No wonder all the crazies are out. Monday was Full Moon…I can hear the dueling banjos now.

43. HotHabs says:

Well, knee injury recoveries are 50/50 success. I’ve known many people who’ve had knee surgery and the majority of them had setbacks. Let’s hope this is only a minor setback for Markov and the Habs.
    Not good news, but let’s see what happens before we assume we know the outcome already…

44. Bill J says:

For anyone who believes the Habs should have kept Wiz instead of Markov….

When healthy, side by side. We all agree, Markov is better overall. And completely owns Wiz in certain aspects of their game.

Wiz has gone through what Markov has, and he’s doing fine.

Keeping Markov, over Wiz remains the better choice IMO.

45. habpunk says:

wow! the season hasn’t started yet and I’m already depressed.
    if Markov doesn’t play this year, habs are toast.
    I heard markov was willing to accept a 2 year deal, but Gauthier, who loves to waste $$$, decided to add an extra year.

46. Jon Hackett says:

As interesting as Tony can be, he’s just like a lot of reporters out there who are always trying to get the “scoop”

I wouldn’t say he’s lying but I’m going to wait on a report from someone a little more credible before I trust this.

So if we keep him away from the sweets and booze the gout related water will dissappear right?

48. You guys really make me laugh. He had SUCH a bad setback that he’s still skating every day.

49. maiolola@comcast.net says:

WOW, add $5.75M to Gomezes $7M and you now have a waste of nearly $14M worth of cap space. Nice job Pierre!!

L TRAIN

50. solomio says:

Yeah thats it… pseudogout…. nothing at all to worry about…just make believe gout really.

“I figure PG has one or 2 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

51. Nina76 says:

suck it up Markov. did he have the water taken off before the contract was signed or after we signed him for too long he is a big risk

52. pmaraw says:

this is good news to me, the less games he plays in the regular season the more likely he plays playoff games.

53. Chorske says:

Chicken Little has a meltdown in 10… 9…. 8… 7….

54. Sharks9 says:

I’ll wait until the opener before I start freaking out.

25 before 14

55. Everlasting1 says:

I once had a water filled blister. The episode set me back a day. My boss was not pleased. The following day I drained the blister and was good to go.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

56. Subban4ever says:

You hear that? It’s our fault… he was working too hard, to be ready, for US. But in all seriousness… there’s a refund available on tickets past December, right?

57. solomio says:

Well if Tony is right then the cat is out of the bag and the Habs will have to man up. Guess we’ll know tomorrow

58. CharlieHodgeFan says:

A little water on the knee, and Tony Marinaro as the source of the story… let’s see how he is when he gets to camp, and in the meantime, chill.

59. Trisomy 21 says:

He is still skating, he skated with Leblanc and Fortier yesterday morning (both of who are injured)
    But when I said that was not good news yesterday i was making mountains out of “anthills”
    I wonder how bad of a setback this is, does anyone know enough about this stuff?

60. Say Ash says:

Eighth place is ours!

61. Neutral says:

Someone referred to me as a know it all couple days ago because of a comment I made and I got jumped on when I said I would have signed Markov with one year contracts, how am I looking now, a setback before training camp oh well it’s not my money couldn’t care less.

62. scrowe21 says:

Man.. Markov can’t catch a break. Feel bad for him. Sucks for everyone else too, but he must really be getting tired of this bs.

63. JIMVINNY says:

Is this only Tony being Tony?

64. I say send an offer to LA for Mr Doughty.

Sigh…….Markov.

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

65. Chrisadiens says:

@Burly

Now it’s a 7 out of 10 on the panic meter. Setbacks are scary.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

LOL, i wouldn’t be too worried, he probably got from overuse/overtraining. They will drain it, take it easy for a few days make sure its not coming back and start rehabbing again. This is dumbed down stuff, but my bro had this when he played national team volleyball after he had knee surgery.

66. OneTimer says:

HI/O meltdown in 3…2…1…

67. avatar_58 says:

So I booked some space for us to begin leaping off a nearby cliff. Anyone want in?

68. Matt H says:

The Wiz was not a terrible defenseman. He’s in my eyes an excellent 2nd pairing guy who helps on the powerplay.
    Markov is better, when he plays.
    But we’re talking about a second serious knee injury to the same knee in how many seasons…
    I hope Markov comes back and plays well, but i guess we’ll have to see

69. Mr. Biter says: