Markov suffers setback in rehab: Report

AndreiMarkov

According to Tony Marinaro of the Team 990, who has consistently had scoops on this story, Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov suffered a setback several week ago when he was diagnosed with water in his knee.

Marinaro says that Markov has his knee drained in the United States and now must take time to rehab it again. The radio host says Markov developed the problem as a result of training too hard in order to be ready for the 2011-12 season.

Former NHLer Enrico  Ciccone, speaking on TVA Sports’ L’Esprit d’équipe, expressed doubt that Markov would be ready for the season opener in Toronto. Rehab of the defenceman’s knee is not going as well as hoped, Ciccone added, placing Markov’s season in jeopardy.

The Canadiens have indicated they will not comment on the Markov situation until the players have their medical tests on Friday.

But this news will create a media frenzy in Montreal on Thursday, and team management almost certainly will be obliged to respond.

Dave Stubbs on Max Pacioretty’s busy summer and Carey Price’s adjustment to new glass at the Bell Centre

Pat Hickey on AK46

Arpon Basu on Habs’ optimism and on Markov

J.T. on Markov

More prospect rankings

Bulldogs season preview

Cammalleri on head shots

• New contracts for Marchand, Tavares, Bogosian

NHL to implement social media policy

1. cmurray11 says:

So is it possible the Habs could swing a trade with L.A to get doughty down here. Haha. I know it’s crazy, but as much as I love Markov. To me he’s a porcelain doll. I cringe every time he goes to the boards, and I don’t know how healthy he really is. That 3 year contract is looking a little dicey right now.

• RetroMikey says:

Markov will not be the same defenseman and will be more of a defensive liability now that he knows his knee is not 100% and if he does come back, will not go hard along the boards anymore to take out his man.
      I’d worry about my health more now at his career and take the money he got and enjoy it!
      Gauthier really gambled in singing him, nothing new what this organization does anymore.
      Thank God we didn’t sew a “C” on his chest as everyone wanted on this site.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. adam76 says:

Putting that much money in Markov – a 32 year old who has missed more games then he has played the last few seasons was a huge mistake.

Fukkidy f#$%… Canadiens.com still has the laffs game in Oct sold out. Argh!!!!

4. shiram says:

Selanne plays for one more season.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• LA Loyalist says:

$4M – more magic from he and Saku :-) you can’t imagine how happy that makes me. Hopefully Hiller will be healthy, Ducks will be in good shape.

Trouble in Kings land signing Doughty – he wants more than Kopitar, Kings won’t go higher than the $6.8 they are paying Kopitar.

Going to preseason game 9-23 between Kings/Ducks. Will report from there. :-)

• The Dude says:

Doughty for Markov …fixed!

• LA Loyalist says:

I know you’re joking, but the management situation in LA is strange. I can’t tell you my source, but apparently Kovalchuk was set to sign in LA (and would have been a great fit) but LA management bungled it in a small way that had nothing to do with the money or the term. It was just how they treated Kovalchuk.

So while Doughty will probably sign for $6.8… something strange could happen.

• The Dude says:

Not joking sir….Doughty on the Habs is a Stanley Cup in 2 or less years! Make’s for a younger team and will help in the re-signing of P.K. and Price and would make other young guns want to come to Hockey’s Mecca”And that hasn’t happened for a while!” And for L.A. well they got a need for a guy like veteran Markov . Win -Win pour tout monde!

• SyntaxLove says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIuZDVA8CA “ONE MORE” Selanne (for the road)

Chinchillin’

5. twocents says:

So, was the HI/O staff hurt in the same incident that has set Markov back? I mean what’s with nothing new to post this close to the season. This ain’t friggin’ August boys!

And where in the heck is Mr. Bugs Potter? What’s he got? Water on his knuckles… wrists?

6. RetroMikey says:

Markov’s injury doesn’t sound good. Obviously his knee isn’t at 100%. The thing is, with such a serious (repeated) injury, will his knee ever be at 100% again? Do you sit him for another week or two, and hope he gets to 100%, or do you throw him in the mix and hope for the best? Big gamble by our Habs. Probably should have been looking for Markov’s replacement, rather than waiting for Markov. Wiz, where are you? Come back!!!!!
    “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Don’t think Wisnewski was Markov’s replacement though. I think as a fan base we probably over value what Markov brings, but I don’t think Wisnewski was even close to the same player Markov was for us.

That being said, I don’t want to take a guess at who a real comparable for Markov would be, maybe a Stephan Robidas?

____________________________________________________
      They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

• ZepFan2 says:

“Wiz, where are you? Come back!!!!!”

Wiz and his two damaged knees isn’t coming back!!!!!!

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mikey, reading your posts is torture, yet I can’t stop myself. Kind of like I can’t look away when Courtney Cox is on. (And what the hell happened to Jennifer Aniston? I know it’s her, but there’s that final twitch of the neurons that would allow me to say “Yes, that’s her! I recognize her!” that just won’t happen).

You ask whether his knee will ever be 100% again, then you finish your ramblings by pining for James Wisniewski, he of the multiple knee injuries. From which he fully recovered. Which made him play so well that you pine for him. Instead of a guy with a knee injury. It’s a Retro-infinite loop.

It boggles my mind that you think sitting Mr. Markov “for a week or two” is all that is required to recover from this reported setback. More incomprehensible, you seriously consider as an alternative “throwing him in the mix” with an injury that he has not fully recovered from, for what little benefit I do not know what, and at great risk to his recovery. It is such a laughable option that it can’t even be considered.

Your signature, in bold font, still is an ungrammatical mishmash.
      ———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

7. MJ says:

Hi all, I’ve been a silent observer at HIO during the dog days of summer, you guys got me through it!

For my first post, I want to write about the salary cap space PG is guarding. Truth is I just went through the payrolls of every NHL team and the related cap hit and the reality is while our 4.5 mil in available cap space is not even close to the most in the league and the damn Bruins 5.1 mil available, it will be very useful in many scenarios: as insurance policy for serious injuries to any of our core players (fingers and toes crossed), trade deadline moves to prepare us for a deep run in the playoffs or to pick up a player that a team like the Sabres who are about 4.5 mil over the cap and might need to dump salary before the season starts to come under the cap, Paul Gaustad would look awfully good on a 4th line with Moen, White or Darche. The great thing is he comes for a cap hit of only 2.3 mill. Come on PG make it happen.

Thoughts?

8. gaqread says:

I’m a big Markov fan and hope he makes a full recovery as quickly as possible. With him the Habs are a shoe-in for the playoffs and a threat to go deep. Without him? Not so much.

That said: if he doesn’t play this season, again, because of his wonky knee than Pierre Gauthier must be held accountable for putting his faith and ownership’s money into damaged goods.

• LA Loyalist says:

I’ve criticized PG plenty, but Markov is the kind of risk you have to take as a GM because you can’t just call up that kind of talent from Hamilton or easily trade for it.

Like Pittsburgh – what the heck should they do with Crosby’s situation?

The Markov insurance policy is Emelin, who while not Markov, is at least young and not worn out like Hammer and Spacek (no criticism of those guys).

We have to roll the dice with Markov, we at HIO would have been all over PG if he’d done otherwise, don’t you think?

9. Morenz7 says:

Markov has been doing light solo skating drills today at Brossard. Hardly touching the pucks apparently.

10. derfab says:

Emelin is ready for big minutes. He is younger, meaner and, on the smaller ice surface, able to pick up the slack while Markov gets ready. I see him as taking a top four spot as early as next year.

• avatar_58 says:

Except you know how Martin works – you don’t get time based on skill. Old folks like Spacek and Gill will be the first goto men until he’s 100% sure of the “young uns”.

• LA Loyalist says:

I too have good hopes for Emelin – but we all need to remember that the forecheck will be on him faster on the small NHL ice and he’ll have to make decisions more quickly.

It will take him some time to adjust.

All prayers with Markov.

11. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

2021 7th rounder for scott gomez?

12. Da Hema says:

I see TSN raided CBC again by signing Pierre Lebrun.

Is there even one person left worth listening to on Hockey Night in Canada?

Bob Cole. Glenn Healy. Mike Milbury. What on-air talent!

13. AK_PK_Usay says:

From what information was released, its water accumulation in the knee due to over training… If he was able to overtrain, surgery must have went quite well, thus, while a setback, still generally positive news. And we won’t need markov till 2012 anyway.

Ahhh, the AK bashing… At least it was very pleasant to see some reasonable posts along with the usual unwarranted bashing.

I doubt he does, but seriously hope the xenophobia from the media and certain fans doesnt get to him.

14. Bripro says:

By the way, this is 24 cups’ fault. I can’t get the song out of my head now.
    So hum this to the tune of “o bla di”:

Jm’s brushing up on his coaching skills
    Ladoucer offers to lend a hand
    JM says: “that’s OK Randy,
    I can deal with each player, man to man.”

Oh bloody, here we go, it’s all D again,
    D-Defence is all he knows.
    Oh bloody, wadaya know, it’s all D again,
    his coaching style, we know, really blows.

Gomez shows up with a new philosophy
    and promises to perform and take charge.
    AK says he was misquoted,
    and gets the rolling eyes from Mathieu Darche.

Oh bloody, here we go, it’s all D again,
    His way with a team without heroes.
    Holy crap, here we go, no offence per se,
    Even with a big heart like Gio’s.

For a couple of years they iced a contender,
    With a couple of deals that will make you cry
    And wish with that talent you’d be born (whine, whine, whine, whine)

Looking to be happy at the Bell Center,
    The HIO crowd rumbles in.
    We watch as the Rangers get walled by Price,
    And look to the clock to view PK’s grin.

Oh bloody, here we go, it’s all D again,
    D-Defence is all he really knows.
    Oh bloody, wadaya know, it’s all D again,
    his coaching style, we know, really blows.

And if you want some fun, blog hockey all night long….

Thank you….thank you very much!

15. Propwash says:

According to RDS, Markov was skating alone

• Ian Cobb says:

16. LA Loyalist says:

Hey guys, have you seen the TSN story on Moore/Bertuzzi finally going to (civil) court?

My point is not the story, which is purely procedural, but the 20 or 30 comments which are about 90% pro-Bertuzzi, which totally blows my mind (notwithstanding that I’m sure most TSN posters are in Toronto).

Where are you guys on this? To me Bertuzzi is worse than Chara in that his act was I think even more deliberate.

I wouldn’t shake the guys hand with a gun to my head and yet he is still playing and getting paid millions. I hope Moore gets a huge settlement, maybe that will send a message.

By the way, Bertuzzi pled guilty in (criminal) court and got a slap on the wrist.

Where are you guys on this?

• HardHabits says:

Bertuzzi’s act is not defensible but it is in retaliation for Moore’s hit on Nalsund so it’s just a waste of court time. Neither act paints a pretty picture on hockey violence but the court case is ludicrous. Moore should be compensated by NHL and NHLPA insurance policies as should all players who receive injuries that end their careers. TB hasn’t had an incident since and is clearly regretful. Move on.

• LA Loyalist says:

Sorry Habits, you and I are usually on the same page.

But “Move on”?

I”m sure Steve Moore would LOVE to “move on”. That’s the whole point. No amount of money will give him back his life as it was. As for Bertuzzi being remorseful, well if he’s truly remorseful, he should settle out of court, generously, and play the last years of his career to compensate Steve Moore for what he took from him.

I’m all for clean hits, and if there is an accident, well, that’s bad luck.
        But Bertuzzi and Chara? I’m ashamed. As a Canadian, and as a hockey fan, and as a hockey player.

I spend many hours a week with 8-9 year old kids who watch and look up to NHL hockey players. How do I explain to them that Bertuzzi and Chara are still playing, while Moore is done, and Max is damn lucky he’s coming back. Hopefully he will be 100%.

I teach my kid to use his body for positioning, to keep his elbows in and his stick down, and to protect his smaller team mates by getting in between them and their tormentors. Already my son is getting slashed and tripped a ridiculous amount because he is good at protecting the puck and hard to check. He’s 8 freaking years old and I have to worry about this stuff.

Sorry, I’m really upset about this. An NHL player is going to die, I guaranty it. And Gary is going to go. “Excuse me. I need to go and change my diaper.” The NHLPA is just as gutless.

Let’s see how it goes with Shanahan. Sorry to be dramatic.

• HardHabits says:

I understand your position especially given that your son plays hockey. Just make sure he keeps his head up and has a good sense of what’s going on around him.

There’s no amount of highway rules and regulations that will compensate for defensive driving.

• LA Loyalist says:

Good analogy.

I’m even adjusting my own (old timers’ league :-)) play on the boards – I don’t go in facing them, I try and go in sideways. I’m theoretically in two no-checking leagues, but the reality is collisions occur and sticks fly around and the guys can get pretty chippy. Our goalie got run last night and I got run playing goal a couple of weeks ago.

No substitute for vigilance. Thanks for the advice.

I actually believe Chara’s hit was worse. I don’t think Chara expected Maxpac to suffer as bad as he did, but he 100% planned on using the stanchion as a weapon, and knew 100% who he was doing it to.

That said, I have zero empathy for Bertuzzi. He is a complete idiot, and hope he gets whats coming to him.

• Timo says:

Hope he is taken to cleaners and has to work 9-5 job for the rest of his life.

• gaqread says:

Bertuzzi committed one of the most violent and cowardly acts in NHL history. To suggest, as HardHabits does that there is some comparison between what he did and Steve’s Moore’s hit on Markus Naslund, which by the standards of the day was clean if questionable, is ludicrous. Moore has suffered permanent physical injury and brain damage from Bertuzzi’s actions. Someone – whether it’s the Canucks or Bertuzzi – should pay for what happened to him.

And, as much as I think Chara deserved a lengthy suspension for the Pacioretty hit, the Bertuzzi assault on Moore was definitely worse.

Oh yeah, and Bertuzzi only has a “clean record” since then because the NHL declined to suspend him for a headshot he threw in late March. Their reasoning? By their definition, Bertuzzi had a “clean record” and therefore didn’t merit a suspension. This, I might point out, is the same idiotic explanation the league offered for not suspending Chara. Someone needs to point out to these brain surgeons that if you never punish someone because they have a clean record, they will always have a clean record and therefore never be punished.

• avatar_58 says:

It kind of bothers me that the NHL still doesn’t think they should nip this in the butt by giving lengthy suspensions. Instead they allow neanderthal-type players to seek revenge the only way they know how.

It’s only a matter of time before someone decides Cooke or Chara needs to be taught a lesson.

• gaqread says:

Yeah, the problem with that of course is, who is going to teach Chara a lesson? Unless someone teaches Georges St. Pierre how to skate I just don’t see that happening.

• REB says:

hmmm, let me think….

a stick point stabbed into the back if his knee should pretty well end his season…
            a skate slice across the back of his ankle should pretty well end his season (ask Markov what skates can do…)

You don’t have to be big to exact retribution, just willing to be dirty.

• avatar_58 says:

I used to be all against Bertuzzi until I looked into the videos and events. Moore was no saint, so in essence this would be like say – Moen launching himself at Chara and ending his career. Sure Moen would be raked over the coals, but would you blame him for getting revenge?

Also let’s be honest here – all the people falling on top of the two of them caused even more damage.

I don’t condone what the d-bag did but I also don’t think Moore was an innocent bystander.

• ds says:

Bertuzzi did what his organization asked him to do. Moore instigated it with a vicious cheap shot on Naslund but that doesn’t count? Naslund was a top 5 winger in the NHL at the time, Moore was nothing but an AHLer for life. If anything the whole case should be thrown out.

The reason the NHL does not hand out large suspensions is because of stupid lawsuits like this one. If Chara got suspended, Max Pac could have sued him since a suspension is an admission of guilt.

Injuries happen in hockey and Colorado was warned in advance they should have just sat Moore who wasn’t important to them at all anyway. His (Moore’s) cowardly act destroyed Bertuzzi’s career.

• Ian Cobb says:

I hope Moore puts Bertuzzi in the poor house for life! Go get him Moore. Any hit to the head with intent to injure and destroys your career, from a professional, should get you his wealth.

This one is specially for 24Cups.

The good news about AK46 is that there are only 5 players drafted before him that have more goals than he does.

The bad news is that there are 12 players drafted after him that do.

• 24 Cups says:

Not to mention that three of the guys drafted ahead of AK46 were defensemen as well as a goalie!

It ain’t pretty.

• Bripro says:

Some are hidden gems in the drafts. We all know that.
      Look at Johan Franzen, he was picked 97th overall, Zetterberg was in the 200s.
      Look at Letang, he was 62nd and look what a year he had last year.
      Some develop later than others.
      I still think AK is worth the price of admission.

18. The Dude says:

Markoff for another season?

19. notjusttrash says:

Markov should take all the time he needs, we can do without him in October, we need him down the stretch. Btw, any game of thrones fans? Winter is Coming

20. adesbarats says:

If Markov is out for the season, his cap hit gets knocked off the books, right?

This news totally sucks…

• LA Loyalist says:

This is why I would have kept Wiz and traded him in March when a) demand was highest and b) Markov would have had most of a season under his belt.

I guess that’s why I’m not GM.

And who would you have traded Wiz too in the 1st year of a 5 year contract paying him nearly $6million a year, the year before an entire new CBA could be in effect. COme on, you are presenting a complete BS know it all sign and trade here.

Oh yah what contract does Montreal take back in this proposed trade which you had worked out. And just to be clear you signed both wiz and Markov this off season as well?

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I wish Hickey would put a sock in His mouth (or keyboard) about AK, and let He and Martin work it out in the privacy of the Team, instead of putting all this Montreal Media Bull$hit into the Belorussian’s head heading into this season
    …Cole, Patches and AK represent an intimidating power-forward potential for each of Our top-3 lines …WHY is Hickey futzing-around with AK’s head before the season even starts ?
    …find something else to write about Hick to justify Your salary will You …please ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• samTHEman says:

I swear I was thinking the same thing while watching the AK interview at the golf tournament…throwing all those super nosy questions at him is unfair to begin with, plus they know his answers are limited because of his english….cmon. And then asking Gionta about the matter of AK and Martin relationship…who flipping cares? I really wonder why the players agree to go out and answer such ridiculous questions year after year.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

This article was actually holding back on Pat Hickey hate of AK, there was another article earlier during the off season where he plain and simply said OUT WITH AK… making claims as if he knew what was happening in the dressing room.

Unfortunately AK is either appreciated, by the few that aren’t stuck up on that draft year, or hated, by what seems to be a larger number of armchair hockey connoisseurs…

There is quite the xenophobia regarding eastern euro players…

• samTHEman says:

Exactly. He’s producing just as much as some of the higher paid guys on the team (Gionta for example). Forget his age, his draft year, his potential for a minute. Is our team better off with or without him? I’ll answer that for you: WITH. We’re not in a position to be trading big bodies that can score right now. Yes…he should produce more given his talent, but talent includes the ability to put up points CONSISTENTLY, not only flashy hands and a bullet shot…that’s what people don’t get. Ppl need to lay off of his case

• G-Man says:

None of the players read this stuff. Looks like Hickey didn’t even speak to him.

• LA Loyalist says:

Agree 100%.

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’frenzy’ ?!?!?! …NO KIDDING !!!
    …like I just got kicked in the gonads
    …geezzz ! …talk about ‘a pin in Our balloon’ !
    …funny thing is …We all were half-expecting this

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

23. Doughty probably wants out of LA. Can’t say I blame him, I wouldn’t want to be on a team with Mike Richards either. :lol:

24. JD_ says:

“When you’re down and out
    When you’re on cortisone
    When your knee’s so hard
    I will drain it too

Hab fans take heart
    When darkness comes
    And pain is all around
    A syringe into troubled water
    The swellin’s down
    A syringe into troubled water
    The swellin’s down”

– Markov & Garfunkle

The thing about AK46 is that if he has the kinda season every Hab fan wants him to have, it could get a bit messy for PG next offseason.

AK46 will be the youngest UFA forward earnin’ in excess of $2M this season, and one of the two youngest earnin’ in excess of $1M.

Hypothetically, say you’re PG and AK46 is producin’ above his trend line; i.e., playin’ to some ostensible potential. He’s on a one-year contract headin’ into UFA status and clearly wants a healthy combo of cash and term.

The new CBA has clamped down on post entry-level contracts, but UFA deal structures are mostly untouched because the NHLPA has conceded on the players’ share of revenues to some 52%, from the current 57%, and the cap is comin’ down.

And you need to sign Carey and Poindexter Bentley.

Most GMs have a reasonably good idea what they’re doin’ and one or some of them put in a call to you to discuss this young player whose perceived trade value seems to be on the rise.

I’ve got nothin’ against Andrei Kostityn. But a little triangulation suggests that, unless there’s an unfillable hole on the right side or Gomez has a season that renders it impossible to clear cap space, AK may not be around beyond this season.

Pure speculation.

—–

I think I get it now.

Originally, I thought Schenn’s camp was waitin’ on the Doughty deal so they could benchmark it, then add a $1M-$2M premium seein’ as Luke is “one of the most complete players in the league”*.

Havin’ fleshed it out and peeled that onion a bit further, it now occurs to me that Schenn and his agent were ready to sign a long time ago, but Burkie refuses to put pen to paper cause really elite players don’t cave that easily. In other words, the longer Schenn takes to sign, the better the player he is.

Brilliant.

Forget about thinkin’ outside the box. Burkie’s waaayy past that. He’s taken the box, smashed it to pieces, and tossed all of it into a blazin’ fireplace. He’s then taken the ashes and leached the collective tears of the Loafs’ fan base through them to produce potassium hydroxide (KOH).

And then he’s done somethin’ really cool with that stuff.

* Accordin’ to Pierre McGuire whilst providin’ colour durin’ yet another losin’ cause for the Loafs last season.

• GrimJim says:

You SOB. Now I have that song in my head and the people in the cubicles around me keep asking what I’m humming…

JD, you are brilliant. I just had lunch readin’ the Toronto Red Star Sports Section. Schenn is quoted as saying, he fully expects to be a Leaf, he loves it here, he doesn’t want to miss golf tournies, training camp or hospital visits with the team. I think you are bang on, Burkie is the master media/fan manipulator. I never thought of it from the perspective you presented.

My hat is off to you, now the rest of the staff here at work say I have severe hat head and I should put it back on. Love it when I make them tell me to put my Habs hat back on!

25. So I haven’t posted in a while, but that link to the Doughty article forced my hand. Is he seriously holding out for $7M, when the Kings are offering $6.8M for seven seasons? All this fuss for an extra $200k — just 3% more than the Kings are offering? Is the kid nuts? This right after his production dropped from 59 points to 40? I know he’s a stud defenceman and everything, but wow.

• 24 Cups says:

There are two major flaws in the present CBA – multi-year, front loaded contracts and no restrictions on RFA contracts. Both of these blunders have created havoc with the cap system (some teams would also list a cap floor as a 3rd blunder).

It’s time to close the loopholes in the next agreement or bring on another lockout.

• Don Meehan, depending on your perspective, is either the best or the worst agent in the NHL.

• GrimJim says:

the talk out here in Calgary is the hold-up is term. Doughty wants a four-year deal so that when he becomes a UFA he is free to choose what team he wants to play for. Kings want a long-term deal (7 or 9 years is what is being said around here). Look at Jeff Carter. He signs a 11-year deal with Philly and within months he’s traded to Columbus (and he has an NTC that starts in the 2012-13 season). Doughty wants to choose where he plays as soon as he can (is the rumour)…

26. HabinBurlington ,September 15, 2011 8:52 am at 8:52 am
    “Ryan Whites family must be in close competition with you now for that title Sholi!

Good luck to your kid at tryouts tonight.”

Shnae Says”I’ll have to send his dad some pics of my collection. Brock Trotter is from Brandon Too.

Thanks for the Good Luck wish , I hope I make it….I mean he makes it.

HEY Punkster, I feel the same too. I may even tell the group a story.

LNev; I used to run 7 miles/day. But I ended up with some really bad head injuries, that’s why i’m retired at 39 (The Infantry will do that to you).

Can’t wait for the summit! Really excited about this season, there’s something different about we fans, you don’t get other team’s fans doing what we do.(Summit)

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

27. Neutral says:

Agree with IAN

28. caladin says:

AK46 is the 6th highest paid forward on the team. He’s making less than Spacek. He delivers good value for that and his versatility is a real bonus. I’m tired of people complaining that this guy doesn’t play like an all star 82 games a year. He’s not paid like an all star. Yes he was a high draft position many moons ago, get over it.
    As for Markov it’s worrying yes, but here’s hoping this gives the kids a chance to step up, and that he’s healthy throughout 2012.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but Wiz plays the right side, so really couldn’t have replaced Markov or Hammer anyway. He’d have bumped Georges to 3rd pairing and battled Subban for the top pairing.

GO HABS GO

• NoTinFoilCups says:

It’s the fact that he doesn’t play up to his potential is what irks most people about him. So how much do you have to make before you give your full effort as a professional hockey player? How many million before you can expect that from a player?

• nick says:

The guy has been a 40-50 point guy for the last 4 seasons.
        People need to re-evaluate what his potential is.
        When it comes down to it, he’s still a top forward for the Habs in terms of stats, earning about half as much as the rest of the top forwards… Whats the problem here?

• 24 Cups says:

nick – Being a top point getter for the Habs doesn’t mean much. In fact, that’s part of the problem, we don’t have any real great point producers (with Pleks being the exception).

We picked a guy who played the wrong position in ’03, we should have gone after a centre, our greatest need. That’s not AK’s fault, but he has to dig deeper now that there is more competition at his position. This year is probably his last chance to have a solid campaign. If not, I can’t see the Habs giving him a long-term contract.

• G-Man says:

How many points do you expect Habs players to get when only 9 players reached 80 points + in the NHL last season?

• nick says:

Sorry 24, I can’t agree with you there.
            When you have guys like Cammy, Gionta, Gomez making twice as much as AK, putting up only 1-2 points more than him a season…

Well either AK is seriously out performing his contract, or these players are drastically under performing on theirs. Either way – I don’t think AK deserves all of the negative attention he never fails to receive.

• 24 Cups says:

G-Man – Hab scorers placed 60th, 115th, 119th, 134th and 183rd. I realize we have built a team that is based on scoring by committee but 4th spot doesn’t get me too excited.

nick – I think AK’s salary difference is more a reflection of his age than point production (Cammy is just the reverse). Regardless, his biggest problem isn’t how we perceive him but rather how he’s going to overcome the battle for ice time with MaxPac and Cole. Cole’s signing could be the end of Andrei’s stay in Montreal which may not have anything to do with his talent or production.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Im happy to see some people have some commen sense in regards to AK, but WOW, some of you can say ANYTHING and its considered acceptable.

some quotes
      24Cups ” Being a top point getter for the Habs doesn’t mean much.” really now? well, sorry but society is based on judging people compared to their medium, you get your grade AND CLASS AVERAGE, always…

NoTinFoilCups “It’s the fact that he doesn’t play up to his potential is what irks most people about him.” potential? are you a pro scout? or its all because he was drafted 9th? Pouliot was drafted earlier and he gets less criticism.

when all think alike, no one is thinking very much

29. otter649 says:

What king of agent advice is Turris of The Coyotes getting – He scored 25 points in 60+ games & benched/sat out in a bunch more yet he is holding out for a new contract for large $$$……

30. FishOutOfWater says:

on the upside who else think patches will pot one in his first game?!

31. mjames says:

The season has not even started yet and here we get negative article after negative article on AK46. I am referring to the Hickey and Basu articles. This crap is not new. The press has beaten up on this kid for years. In fact last year Boone and Basus went overboard when they tried, albeit jokingly, to tie AK46’s play to his handicap. They implied he might be mentally deficient because of the handicap. This crap was in one of Boone’s ALN pieces.

If you are going to write something about this kid why not also state that he is the team’s best passer. In fact he is in another league when comparing him to the likes of a Gomez, our supposed playmaker. He is also one of the few players who can assume the role of a power forward. It really annoys me to read all these so called pundits take a shot at this kid.

Why not write negative pieces on some of the other more deserving players. I do not think they have cajones.

Why don’t we lay off AK46 for a change.

mjames

• savethepuck says:

I think the guy gets way too much crap thrown his way too.

• DEANDALLEY says:

True.

He is always shifted around from line to line. He was ok when he was with Pleks & Cammi ….

• Curtis O Habs says:

Not to mention AK is always on the back check, and one of our most physical players. If he could only hit a one timer he would have had 10 more goals in each of his seasons.

• Mats Naslund says:

Slow Clap! Fantastic post. Its a mix of a crazy Montreal Media and xenophobia. Its so predictable you can set your watch to it. Remember when his brother and him “ruined” the Montreal Canadiens and how “guilty” they looked when being peppered in a language they barely understood? I wonder how I would look answering questions in front of the Russian media who had labeled me a “gutless” or “lazy” North American. I wonder how I would feel about playing hockey there – no matter how many times they told me it was the Meca of hockey.

• Habitoban says:

Maybe with Benny gone, AK46 is getting a greater share of negative attention. Interesting that the pundits use the same vocabulary to criticize both players: “enigma”, “inconsistent”, “no heart”, “lost”, “brain cramps”, “not too bright.”

• Timo says:

Where do I send this box of tissues?

• ooder says:

much easier to pick on the euros because the redneck fans just hop on that bandwagon

——————
      The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Old Bald Bird says:

I couldn’t remember Basu slamming AK, so I went back and still can’t see it. Consider the following. The bold is my emphasis.

“I have no idea if Kostitsyn was misquoted, or if he was at least taken out of context, but I do know that he remains an important player to this team.

“Along with Pacioretty and Erik Cole, Kostitsyn is a physical presence with the talent to score goals. On a team rife with a lack of size among its skilled players, that’s a valuable asset.

“If Kostitsyn winds up being pushed down the depth chart onto a third line, something I’ve already said may be the best thing for him, he will be the catalyst for what Gauthier expressed as his primary goal for the summer.

32. Kooch7800 says:

Want to feel better about Markov, be thankful we are not the Kings with doughty.

The situation is not looking good according to Darren Dreger:

could be worse for the habs, Markov at least wants to play here.

Doughty in my opinion is being a bit insane. The deal on the table is generous and is fair for both sides.

Markov is money in the bank. So what if it takes him until 2012 until he plays again. It’ll be like a reverse Forsberg or Sundin but Russian style. Instead of fizzling out when he returns it’ll be a comeback for the ages.

34. HabFarmer says:

Rubbing temples furiously, “Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean…….”

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

How can we miss someone who has not been on the team for the past two years.?
    And secondly, Markov out for a couple of months will give others more ice in which to season under this years new defense coach.

• FishOutOfWater says:

are u really telling me u dont miss markov?

im not even gonna find a video link yet

• habstrinifan says:

Good morning Ian and EVERYONE at HIO. Before I use Mr Cobb’s remarks as a jumping off board for what I hope is a return to my usual frequency of contribution, may I express my sincere THANKS to all who offered their concerns for and best wishes to the Missus and I during her operation, recovery and rehabilitation.

Thank YOU sincerely and letting you know they MATTERED!

Whenever I visited this site to read the usual give and take of the commentary; the contributions from the staff like Boone and Hickey; and all the links to fun articles, videos etc by the usual resourceful individuals, I felt encourged that LIFE would again return to a manageable NORMALCY. And the empathy shown by everyone fortified my resolve to sustain my spirits even if it didn’t.

Life is well on its way to being normal again! And I thank you all for your encouragement.

Sadly for you, and (phew) none too soon, I am ready to join the fray and expound on all things HABS, notwithstanding the sciolism of my observations. So I apologize to you Mr. Cobb for using your post to let off my first salvo.

“How can we miss someone who has not been on the team for the past two years?”.

Every optimistic analysis of the HABS chances for the upcoming season and every forecast of team and individual improvement hinge on one major factor. The HABS MUST have the HEALTHY return of certain key playerto achieve the result, that, based on on roster talent, seem attainable.

Markov is probably chief among that group which includes Gorges and Pacioretty) and pre-supposes the CONTINUED health of others like Subban, Price and Eller.

If any of Markov and Gorges and Pacioretty is injured for a significant part of the season there will be a domino effect. Not the least of which is the inevitable ‘jigsaw puzzle approach’ to coaching by JM which makes the team less of a “whole stronger than the sum of its parts” and more of a contraption put together game by game to prevail from game to game.

Markov and others I have mentioned must be healthy this season… or this is a different and less capable team, regardless of the replacements on hand.

36. PrimeTime says:

Signing young 21-25 year old “stars” seems to be the trending gamble for GM’s. They are betting on these players to be the foundation players of their respective teams. They can then use these players to lead their marketing in selling the club and it’s “bright” future to the fans. The players like it as they get bigger money and security in their young careers knowing it won’t their last contract. It’ll be interesting if MTL moves in the same direction with Price first and then PK.

Price is solid and a perennial top 5 goalie for years. I have no problem with PG locking him up forever if he can. PK worries me a bit (the Markov effect) as he players a quick but reckless game at times and may be susceptible to knee injuries as well……one bad clip on a rush and it’s gone. I don’t typically speculate but once head shots are no longer in vogue the players may go back to “lower” hits.

The PK contract negotiations will be interesting to be sure. Do the Habs sign PK “big” because he is a marguee fan favorite like smaller market teams need to do….or do they hedge knowing the high risk style of play with a conservative approach to the negotiations.

How a GM decides to budget player contracts to have a winning team is different than “hiring stars” to market a team.

• shiram says:

The next cba will be another factor to consider in those contract negotiations. Unless PG breaks his mold and extends during the season.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• HardHabits says:

If we look at the trend with Montreal signings I have confidence that the Habs will lock both Price and Subban to term and neither deal will be outrageous. The good news is that the compensation for players of their calibre would be off the charts if either received an offer sheet.

• Bripro says:

Not only will they sign Price and PK, but both are of a caliber Montreal hasn’t had in a long time. They’re both franchise players. I know that doesn’t mean much in today’s NHL, but I don’t have a problem with a long-term contract for both. By long-term, let’s quantify it at 7 years max. because anything beyond that is ludicrous (see: Rick DiPietro). Five years would be ideal, but there’s always the risk of losing them afterwards.
      The only concern I have with Suban is his bodychecking method. I fear for his back. If he’s not careful, he could end up with a spinal injury, but let’s face it, he’s so talented that not offering him a long-term deal would be a major letdown.

• avatar_58 says:

All I know is if the habs want me as a fan they can’t afford to lose PK or Price. I’m sick and tired of watching my favs leave because of politics or penny pinching. I do NOT want to see either of these guys become stars on another team.

37. savethepuck says:

“But every year – without fail – it is also a day for target practice, as in targeting players who have been lightning rods for criticism for one reason or another and dissecting every little thing they say”
    I think this from Apron Basu best describes most of the comments I’ve been reading that have been posted on here since last evenining when this thread was posted. I’m not worried about Marky, I’m not worried about Gomez, and I’m not worried about AK. Same as last year when I was not worried about Carey being the undisputed starting goaltender ( I think that turned out OK ). Just drop the freakin puck and let’s go. I’m looking forward to a great season here.

• shiram says:

Apparently Markov was never slated to have recovered completely before octover/november.
      Who really knows? I’m not too worried about Markov, if he needs more time, he needs more time, how many we’re saying he was rushed last season?
      People talking about the 3 year contract should understand that rushing him back is a greater risk on that contract, than having him playing under a 100%.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mike D says:

Exactly! shiram, you drokked the nail right on the head. I have no idea what that actually means, but you know what I’m trying to say.

– Honestly yours

• shiram says:

Drokk is the substitute curse word in the 2000 AD universe, mostly employed by one Judge Dredd.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Mike D says:

Ahhh, haven’t seen that flick in a long time.
            Your post was bang on though man.

– Honestly yours

• shiram says:

I’d skip the movie, and read the comics if you are interested, the old ones, in black and white have great art, and very interesting universe.
            Of course they are coming out with a new Dredd movie next year also I think.

If you don’t grok it, drokk it!

• Bugs says:

You ever see the Dredd vs Aliens story?
            Heavy ordnance and acid-drenched gore; you’d think you’d died and gone to heaven.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

38. hfxtars54 says:

I think it’s just time to cut him lose and try to find another dmen, cause he’s just a liability to the team

le_ch_1909

39. punkster says:

On a day when the internet is abuzz with the controversy over the appearance of nude pics of Scarlett Johansson what is the lead story in Montreal?

Priorities people. Priorities.

Personally I’m ticked with the D man in question. I mean, whose fault is all this really? His knee, his training schedule, his push to get back in shape for the season, it all smacks of a guy who just doesn’t care about the team. Imagine. Pushing himself that hard. What was he thinking?

Off topic, I hear my favourite Italian resto on Jean Talon is unveiling a new signature dish this weekend. It’s a mouth watering combination of well tenderized pork swimming in a stew of veggie broth and presented on a bed of soft pasta. Something called acqua sul ginocchio. Should be a winner.

To paraphrase a friend of mine, it’s a water on the knee world and we only swim in it baby.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

40. sag says:

Relax, he has missed 18 holes, not 18 games…

The straight up truth is that this team has been playing without Markov for the last two years, especially when the games count at least. The team knowing they can win without him is a valuable intangible . The Pens learned that too without Crosby and Malkin. I am old enough to be greedy about cup wins, but am still proud of the team for what they have done the last two years. One hell of a run, and a series that was one goal away… A goal that was scored with two uncalled penalties on the play. It is a game. There are too many good teams to feel entitled to dynasties every decade any more.

We all want to see Markov back before the memory of him scoring on a slick back door play fades. Optimistically speaking though, the injuries over the last couple of years have helped force the development of more than a few key players. If the little engine can keep chugging along in the regular season until he is back, we gain even more cap room for deadline time and Markov has less wear and tear come playoff time.

Can’t be more adversity than last year, right????

41. G-Man says:

More links to “pay only” or “register” sites. Just plain annoying.

The GMs meting out such ridiculous contracts to 3rd year players should be fired. What absolute morons. The lessons of the lockout were not learned by a large group of so-called “intelligent” men. With more than a handful of NHL teams in trouble, they still insist on overpaying for players. Contraction is necessary, as well as a reduction of 3 players (the 4th line) per team. GM is starting to stand for “Generally Moronic.”

42. Propwash says:

Is it just me, or is the word “official” missing from the headline?

43. Did Marinaro REALLY just say that the only reason people don’t believe him about Markov is because he’s Italian? Really???

44. Did Marinaro REALLY just say that the only reason people don’t believe him about Markov is because he’s Italian? Really?

The price just went up for Subban. Myers gets a huge signing bonus (10M) which should make the cap hit around $4M a season. I think the NHL needs another lockout asap.

• Kooch7800 says:

yeah….what will price demand. Gomez will be traded next year cause they will need the cap space

• 24 Cups says:

That’s why I included the word ‘price’ in my sentence!

Price will at least be on a par with Rinne’s new contract, if not higher. There will be no home discount coming from this kid.

• Propwash says:

The money being thrown around in the signings have become beyond redonkulous.

In fairness Steve, I haven’t seen any contracts lately signed with home team discounts. I don’t think Price will be a prima donna about his contract, but no doubt his agent and he will want comparable money. Perhaps any discount per se may come in the way of term.

Interesting though, if you are PG/Gainey ( I say Gainey because clearly he still has influence) do you try and get a contract done with the current CBA or do you wait until the next one. Obviously many teams will be bitching and screaming about the current CBA and demand changes. The gamble really would be status quo or hopefully a better scenario for Habs. In theory the CBA shouldn’t get worse.

• Kooch7800 says:

good question. You really don’t want to wait though cause you want to get them locked up ASAP but they are both RFA’s.

I really dont’ see how the price of the contracts has gone down since the cap. Just the better players make HUGE cash and the bottom six guys get league minium and bounce around the league.

• HFX-HabFan says:

That said, Myers has a Calder trophy, and as a first round pick, he had a higher entry-level contract as well.

Subban has none of those things (even if he is equal to, if not better than Myers).

I think Myers’ cap hit is still $5.5mil, not $4mil.

Agreed,and Buffalo is taking advantage of the current CBA in its allowance of front loading the deal. Especially while Pegula seems dead set on spending as much of his Natural Gas money as possible.

• 123456 says:

a $5.5M cap hit for a star or at least very good player 3, 4, 5,6,7 years from now is a bargain. with the markoiv news so many peopel saying they would like hammer – well hammer was at about $5M last season – so you want meyers or hammer for about $5M….. yea i thought so – meyers

46. zak says:

tyler Myles signs for 5.5 mill a season. Habs had better start dealing with PK sooner rather than wait till his contract comes up just like San Jose gave Coulture a contract extension. Probably do the same with Price

47. huge_polar_bear says:

It’s a good day for Pharmacy… Valium anyone, we are taking orders from HIO… benzodiazepines all around…

Sooo why don’t we all just relax a bit, the Habs did all right last year without Markov. So say that this set back keeps him out a few games / half a season or whatever. During this time he does the proper amount of rehab on his knee. This team is still built up enought to make the playoffs. So I say let Markov take as much time as he needs so that he can be 100% in the playoffs. Anything before then is just gravy…

So Marinaro is saying there was some tension between Markov and the team. He had no specifics, but in general with regards to the process/updates of his rehab. Apparantly Mr. Gainey was called in to help intervene.

Ahh the drama…..

• G-Man says:

Marinaro is just stirring up more sh!t so he gets more calls. None of this is confirmed and look at the rabid reaction. Maybe he should stick with confirmed facts, but the all-seeing Marinaro apparently knows better. What a load of hokum.
      How about we wait for the physicals Friday?

I hear you Gman, I suspect the draining thing is true, and you are right, he loves stirring the pot, and loves even more that he had a scoop.

Even if true about tension, that is the beauty of still have Gainey around. The guy is class, and has respect from all parties. Like having Yoda in our back pocket.

49. Psycho29 says:

WOW……The exhibition games haven’t even started and the panic and negativity has already started in here……Can’t wait to see what will happen after a 3 game losing streak.

On another subject, the Pittsburgh Pirates lost, assuring them a losing record for the 19th consecutive season. (A North American Pro team record). Looks like ‘tanking’ doesn’t always pay off.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

50. Tony McLean says:

Told ya so. Markov will never be the same.
    ———————————————————
    You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

51. Habitoban says:

For those needing a break from the Markov business — oops, apologies for using “break” and “Markov” in the same sentnce — here a link to how Benny is doing in Boston. http://www.necn.com/09/15/11/Ex-villain-Pouliot-looks-for-new-beginni/landing_sports.html?blockID=563878&feedID=3352

• Kooch7800 says:

I would have given Pouliot another 1 year deal. He wasn’t a bad bottom 6 player. Yes, he wasn’t great defensively and fell on his own quite a bit but for his ice time he didn’t produce to bad and could play in the top 6 when you had an injury. With the addition of Cole though and the emergence of DD it made him expendable.

I wonder how Gui will do this year. Apparently he was committed to fitness this year. Would be interesting to see how he does in Minny this year

52. HabsFanInTampa says:

I hate to say “I told you so”. But, “I told you so”. We let The Wiz and Hammer go, so we can sign our fearless leader (albeit injury-prone, damaged-goods, played only 52 games in 2+ years leader) Markov. Now the season hasn’t even begun and it’s already forecast that he’s going to miss games, surprise, surprise. I know he’s been a loyal Hab blah, blah, blah. But, this is a BUSINESS and we shouldn’t let emotions base our decisions. Some posters are writing that this is great, Emelin will have more ice time! Yeah great, an NHL rookie unproven on the elite level. Fanatastic news, indeed.

53. HFX-HabFan says:

Chris Campoli anyone? Bryan McCabe??!?!

I’d sooner get on the phones and see what Lombardi wants for Doughty.

• jimmy shaker says:

Campoli and McCabe for what?

Shaker

• Kooch7800 says:

Our prospects are better than both McCabe and Campoli.

Doughty would cost us price

• 24 Cups says:

IF Markov can’t start, the logical move would be to play the six we already have and bring Diaz up from Hamilton as the 7th man. He basically plays the same type of game as Markov and shoots from the left side. At his age, all he needs is to put on a few pounds and climatize himself to the NA game.

Campoli (takes a rookie’s spot) and McCabe (+35 contract) are just going to eat up cap space that we won’t be able to utilize later in the year.

I just hope Markov took some judo lessons over the summer and learned how to break his fall. That and he should read the book, “How To Go Into the Corners and Come Out With the Puck,” by Matt Cooke.

55. HFX-HabFan says:

No worries, this just means Yemelin can explore his offensive game more, pad his stats a bit, and actually become more of a factor in the Calder/All-Rookie Team race.

56. joeybarrie says:

wow. We really don’t take bad news well… Especially when we really don’t know anything.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

57. Kooch7800 says:

Man I hope Markov can play. If not all year we will hear about how we should have kept Wiz. We should have kept Hammer on for a couple years as insurance for situations like this.

• habitual says:

You’re right, we should have kept Hammer. Remember we offered a one year contract but that was a half hearted attempt. Guess the thinking was that Yemelin was his replacement.

Nice news to get up to on a day where summer has clearly left and fall begun in a grey mood.

• Kooch7800 says:

There still a couple D men out there that we could pick up as insurance for a few months if you get them at league minimum.

I am starting to wonder if this is really why PG didn’t spend some of that extra cash. If this set back was weeks ago PG would have been aware and is probably looking at his options

• habitual says:

Agreed. I don’t expect Gauthier will do that until we find out if Marky’s return is either a lengthy delay, or if he is re-injured. Right now we have enough D in the stall to ride out a short absence.

• jimmy shaker says:

No one out there on the market worth taking a shot at……..Wiz wanted more money than marky……hammer is an old slow very mediocre d-man, and with weber, diaz and yemelin now in the picture they are more than capable of stepping in to the two spots potentially up for grabs. Rather see these young guys making mistakes and developing, than seeing an old vet like hammer stinking it up night in and night out! Everyone needs to relax!

Shaker

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree we have some good prospects but I Hammer was one of our top D men last year in the season. They were playing him way to much though hence why he fizzled out in the playoffs. If we didn’t have him in the regular season last year we may not have made the playoffs.

I don’t think we should have kept wiz. he was way to expensive. he puts up offense but isn’t all that great defensively.

• jimmy shaker says:

to your reply below….yes hammer was on the ice more than he should’ve been by default on marky’s injury…….he also became a top 4 dman again because of default to marky’s injury. The sun has set on him and i’m quite happy that he’s gone, weber is ready to step in and yemelin should be given a strong look to see what he can do.

Shaker

• Sharks9 says:

But if he was healthy we would be calling that a waste of money and if we kept Hammer for a few years it would stop our young D from getting chances to move up to the NHL.

Also, we DONT KNOW if he’ll miss the start of the season.

25 before 14

• Kooch7800 says:

If there is any doubt they shouldn’t rush him back a la last time.

As for keeping hammer, there are always injuries in the NHL, especially on D. Spacek is traditionally due for an injury and misses around 20 games. We also have a few question marks back there with Diaz, and Yemelin.

Will be an interesting year. There is a lot of reasons to be optimistic but we also have a ton of big question marks i.e. with Max P be able to come back as good as last year, Markov (obviously), Jorges, Yemelin, Diaz, Cole – will he be able to produce without staal, will Cammy bounce back, Gomez, will subban continue to develop in the right direction or struggle as many good d men do in their second year, will price be as good as last year.

58. PrimeTime says:

If there is one thing in life I loath, it’s being being deceived. I’m not referring to the Habs Management as many of you will jump to conclude, it’s the “Who We Are” survey posted here in July which inferred that the majority of HIO followers are high income, mature adults. By the high volume of comments below of people again jumping to conclusions and the “I knew it; I Told you so”, once again proves that the many of minds of the Commentariat here do not have the mental capacity to be rational and pragmatic. The sky is falling mentality and 20/20 hindsight viewer opinons are not the majority demographic suggested in the market survey. “Professionals” do not panic as the sound of bad news from a distance. If this were the case the world would be a f*kked up place. Oh wait…oops my bad. Sorry folks! Carry on….

59. Propwash says:

Maybe it’s just me, but no one has written “official” in front of report, at least that I can see.
    Carry on with the under bus throwing.

60. longtimehabsfan says:

Given Markov’s history, water on the knee [or joint effusion] is not a good sign. It can be caused by overuse of the knee, arthritis, a chronic condition such as a reduction in cartilage surface or a slight tear in the cartilage, or recent trauma. Right now they appear to be telling us the cause is overuse. Hopefully, that is the case. But if it’s a chronic condition, we may be looking at the beginning of the end for Andrei.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

It can also be gout, so we need to wait and hear what they tell us it is.

Edit: I do agree that if it is of the chronic side he has big issues. I remain hopeful that based on Dr. Andrews assessment at the time of surgery in how everything looked, this is hopefully just a temporary setback.

• longtimehabsfan says:

The fluid should have been tested by now. Hopefully, they tell us tomorrow.

“It’s a moo point. Like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter. It’s moo.”

61. Hobie Hansen says:

I wonder if Markov is going to tell everyone to just relax and chill out tomorrow?

62. Brinkley says:

Mike D

You make some respectable points.

Having said that, the Habs are dealing with a player who has had two major surgeries on the same knee over a 12 month period.

Does it look like Gauthier covered his bases?

• Mike D says:

“Does it look like Gauthier covered his bases?”

Yes. As far as offensive defenseman, we have Subban and Weber. He also picked up a few spare Dmen (like Woywitka) who are fully capable of playing in the NHL. To get an actual replacement for Markov isn’t feasible in a cap world. Not if you want to re-sign Price and Subban.

You’re also dealing with a player (Marky) who is easily top 10 in the league if not the world when healthy. If he can get and stay healthy remains to be seen, but let’s wait to see what actually happens before we start to panic.

– Honestly yours

63. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I think we should consider trading scott gomez

64. wall2bay says:

This Markov contract looks like it’s gonna give Gomez’s contract a run for its $$$ for the Dog contract on the books.

At least Gomez can skate and he gets somewhat tradeable after this season.

“I kind of feel sorry for players who never got a chance to be a Montreal Canadien” – Cammalleri

• RGM says:

The difference is that if Markov has to go back on LTIR it doesn’t count against the salary cap. Mr. Molson will still have to give Markov money, but that isn’t an issue for the likes of wall2bay and RGM. Only when it affects the cap do we come in to play in our roles as personnel managers. :)

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!