Markov shines in fantasy SO win over Leafs

Andrei Markov

Suffering Canadiens withdrawal? The Gazette has the answer with the ultimate fantasy experience as beat writer Pat Hickey and Gazette techie Eric Tobon employ EA Sports NHL 13 to produce The Season That Isn’t. Here’s how things might have looked in Saturday night’s game between the Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Bell Centre

PAT HICKEY

The Gazette

Shootout?

No problem for the Canadiens as long as they have defenceman Andrei Markov in the lineup.

Markov was the only player to score in the shootout Saturday night as the Canadiens defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-2. It marked the third time this season that Markov has scored the game-winner in a shootout.

“He was our fifth shooter the last time and I thought it was time to move him up,” said Canadiens coach Michel Therrien , who used Markov as his second  shooter after James Reimer stopped Tomas Plekanec.

Therrien didn’t have to use Max Pacioretty because Carey Price stopped Mikhail Grabovski, Phil Kessel and Jake Gardiner.

“Normally I like to shoot first but Carey was playing really well in the third period  and I thought he would put some pressure on them,” said Therrien.

Markov’s heroics weren’t confined to the shootout. He scored a power-play goal at 13:53 of the second period to pull the Canadiens even at 2-2.

The Leafs dominated the first period and Gardiner opened the scoring  at 13:04 when Price left a rebound on a shot by Kessel.

Grabovski, who started his NHL career in Montreal and delights in scoring against his former team, gave the Leafs a 2-0 lead when he scored  on a setup from Gardiner at 5:02 of the second period. At the time, the Leafs were outshooting the Canadiens 17-4.

The momentum changed  when Pacioretty, who had missed Thursday’s game against New Jersey because of the flu, scored at 10:22.

“I wasn’t sure whether I was going to play,” said Pacioretty, who also earned an assist on Markov’s goal. “I wasn’t feeling good this morning and I skipped the morning skate. I slept a lot but I woke up around 3:30 and I felt better. The coach said we’d make a decision after the warmup but I knew I was going to play.”

Price finished the game with 38 saves, including 14 in the third period and three in the overtime. Reimer faced 23 shots.

“They were pushing hard for the win and they had lots of shots but the guys didn’t give them any second chances,” said Price.

The Canadiens wrap up a three-game homestand Tuesday against the Florida Panthers.

phickey@montrealgazette.com

1. PrimeTime says:

At least Boone is still locked out!

2. jo_maka says:

So…….they’re done ? Or is it another fantasy nonsense ?….

Really though, I lost interest in the season per se. Let’s tank this stinky one out and talk business on June.

3. Mustang says:

Montreal, Toronto, and a few other arenas will be sold out as soon as play resumes. Any comments, feelings about attendance at some of the other venues? Many US teams have only been able to get people to warm the seats if they give significant discounts. What will happen now that this stupid lockout is over?

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

…edit: I said something mean …so I delete

5. PrimeTime says:

Gee, sounds like the fans will not be holding any grudges. As both sides knew, the fans will forgive!! I, for one, will be a casual fan. Then again i’m not a turd who decorates their home, children, and pets in Habs logos.

The next wave of commentary will be the second guessing and the whining you all enjoy. Fans are so bloody stupid. HIO should run a contest of how many times each player will be named in the contract buyout LOL. Welcome to all for getting your lives back. Enjoy!!

6. HabFab says:

zababes1 – @TSNBobMcKenzie Galchenyuk will be in Montreal camp.

Not in favor but once again my voting powers are zip.

7. JohnBellyful says:

Let me repeat a suggestion I made a long time ago, during the early stages of The Great Limbo: When hockey resumes, for the very first game, fans at the rink should not take their seats until the first intermission, and the fans at home shouldn’t turn on the game until after the first period (30-35 minutes after scheduled start?).
    The empty seats and lack of viewers would send a strong message to the league and its sponsors that we fans were thoroughly disgusted by how long it took the NHL and players union to reach an agreement, and that we have a huge card to play by how much support we choose to give (not buying souvenirs being an obvious choice).
    Boycotting the games altogether isn’t a realistic option given our passion for the sport and favourite team.
    BTW: When the Canadiens reschedule our Summit game, will we receive a complimentary beverage as well (actually paid for by all the interest our money has been collecting from the tickets we purchased?). Half a drink? Half a pretzel?

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…My plasma TV power thingy-majingy bummed out several months ago, and I have been waiting for hockey to resume to replace it …I think a 60 ” 3D LED is in My near future

…what was all that babbling about NEVER watching another NHL game again ???

9. mrhabby says:

look for a flurry of signings ,trades and salary dumps in the next few days.

what a tediuos , boring waste of time. one of the good things in a 10 year deal is we may not have to look at Bettmans face again..he will surely retire by this CBA expiry.

10. rhino514 says:

Does anyone know what percentage of the player´s remaining salary must be paid under the new buyout provisions? Is it two-thirds for most players? Will the buyout salary count under the cap?

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…as an ancient wiseman living in a cave, which location I have sworn on My Life to keep secret, once told Me …it’s not over until it’s over

12. JohnBellyful says:

This just in — the Montreal Canadiens won the fantasy Stanley Cup, with Gary Bettman handing the trophy off to Habs captain Brian Gionta as his final act as NHL commissioner.

13. commandant says:

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

14. HabFab says:

Stubbs on twitter talking to Pleks, PK and Darche;

15. HabFab says:

JSportsnet – On heels of the tentative CBA deal, good news from Phoenix…the Jamison Group is on verge of announcing purchase of Coyotes from NHL.

16. HabFab says:

RealKyper – Note on new #CBA compliance buyouts. #NHL clubs can use the 2 buyouts over the next 2 summers only. Also option to use both buyouts at once

17. JohnBellyful says:

Is it true, the two sides have reached a tentative agreement? Or is this a flashback to the end of the last lockout, or a fantasy account of a make-believe deal? These threads for the last 100-plus days have left me confused … and tentative.

• Habfan10912 says:

JB confused and tentative? Say it ain’t so Shoeless!

Morning JB. Been missing you bud.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

The while has gone dry the last little well. I mean, the well has gone dry the … it’s been a long lockout.
        Now we can get back to talking hockey, hockey players, coaches, lines, tanking, Bettman (that never stops) … Woohoo!
        CHeers, Jim.
        (Is anyone collecting for a Gomez parting gift?)

I believe it’s time for a new thread to be posted.

19. Mavid says:

I am a very very HAPPY girl…hockey is back!!! Got half my stuff out already

20. habsfan0 says:

In the immortal words of Roy Orbison:

21. Marc10 says:

Looks like Boston will be our first game. I hope Prust’s knuckles are ready.

22. tippytoes says:

Looking forward to seeing Prust, Armstrong Bouillon…

23. Habfan10912 says:

Some details of the agreement.

———————————–

24. tippytoes says:

Hopefully Gally is invited to the mini camp… Give him a preseason game and then send him back to Sarnia.

Gallagher looks in good form and should be kept for the first few games until the vets get into game form

It would certainly appear that the players won the lockout battle.

They knew from the beginning that they would have to accept the NFL/NBA 50/50 split in revenues. It’s a loss to be sure, but also a reality that they had to accept right from day one. However, they came out winners in terms of entry level contracts, free agency and contract variances. None of the major loopholes from the previous agreement have been plugged. Two years from now, GMs will be spending like drunken sailors as they max out the cap and screw each other over by underminding the intent of the agreement.

There’s not much doubt in my mind that this type of deal (with no darconian measures) couldn’t have been worked out in September.

With the new cap in year two, Montreal will be in good (cap) financial shape after the Gomez buyout. By chance, if the team needs more space they will have the option of cutting Kaberle loose and replacing him with Beaulieu. If the team can land one more top six pick then I just might become a believer again.

• Cal says:

No matter what the two sides say, we, the fans, have lost.
      I hope we make both sides pay, and for a long time.

• HabFab says:

This was a take back CBA from day one. Fehr’s job was to keep as much as possible which he has done well.

My view was that 3 things were needed going in;
      – higher HRR% to owners
      – some variance control on contracts
      – better Revenue sharing

• 24 Cups says:

I would have added entry level contracts to that list. That loophole hurts all the teams, not just the few who want to land big fish like Kovalchuk. Paying 21-22 year olds 5-6M a year is nuts and totally screws up the balance of any team’s payroll.

26. Harditya says:

Best part about the CBA deal being reached:
    THE END TO THE FANTASY HABS OMG. END THIS. PLEASE. IT’S TORTURE.

27. JarryPark says:

Does anyone know if the remaining schedule will stay the same or will they change it to decrease travel and have more rivalry match ups? I have a Sabres mini pack with 3 Habs games..2 were slated for Dec. hoping those 2 will be rescheduled within the proposed 48 or 50 game schedule.

28. Hobie Hansen says:

Thank god it’s over. That was the most boring and agonizing process I’ve ever seen. I wanted to slit my wrists anytime I saw Bettman or Fehr appear on TV or when listening to reporters discussing the events.

So, do the Canadiens have a shot at sprinting out of the gate, putting some points into the bank and making the playoffs? Does Galchenyuk play his 9 games before being sent back to junior, or does he maybe even stay with the Habs all year?

We’ll finally get to see some of the new faces like Prust in action and Therrien behind the bench. I’m really looking forward to witnessing the new “attitude” that is supposedly going to surround the team.

I think the Habs have a shot at the playoffs. We’ve got a great young goalie and we’ll have two scoring lines after only having one last year becasue of injuries. Subban will sign this week and hopefully the KHL has Markov and Emelin looking like quality NHL defensemen.

It would take a miracle to win the cup this year but I don’t think the playoffs are out of the question.

GO HABS GO

Great to have hockey back!

29. habs-fan-84 says:

Just woke up to read it’s over!!

Finally!! Well, I’ll be cheering for the habs the minute they step on the ice.

GO HABS GO

30. Cal says:

I closed my eyes and what did I see?
    Disillusioned hockey fans from sea to sea.
    Opened my eyes this morning and what do I find?
    Bettman thanking Fehr? What a horse’s behind!

This will be the last parody until the puck drops in 10 or so days. http://calsnhllockout2012songparodies.weebly.com/

31. JF says:

Despite the League’s intransigent rhetoric – three or four “final” offers, Daly’s “hill we will die on” and so on – they did most of the moving on the last few thorny issues. The players agreed to a 10-year CBA, but the League moved substantially off a 5-year maximum term for contracts, a $60 million cap for next season, and 5% variance on salary. It looks like Don Fehr has done a good job for the players.

32. Habziefan09 says:

SIGN PK NOW….

by the way, there is 2 amnesty buyouts for 13-14…. what is the under/over on Gomez and Bourque?

____________________________________________________________
    Twitter: Habziefan09

Confucius says: “Baseball has it all wrong, Man with 4 balls cannot walk!”

• Captain aHab says:

Gomer for sure….I think the other will depend on how up and comers perform. If we have a d-man showing lots of promise, might be Kaberle instead of Bourque.

Anyways, the main event is Gomez.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

33. Chrisadiens says:

Let the countdown begin. 8 years to go until the next lockout.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

34. Captain aHab says:

I’m hoping they’ll leave Galchenyuk in the OHL for now…give him time. To me, his handling will show us what kind of mgt we’ll have.
    —————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

35. Chrisadiens says:

Had trouble sleeping so I checked Twitter and BAM! Hockey is back! Now…let’s get PK signed right now.

Wonder how much Center Ice will cost….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

36. SlovakHab says:

2 big ones, for me:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Draft lottery will change. All 14 teams fully eligible for 1st pick overall. Weighting system may remain, but 4-move restriction out.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    2 amnesty buy outs per team before season 2013-14. Won’t count on the cap but on players share.

I think both of these are good news!

37. RobertAlanFord says:

Federal mediators released this early this morning http://bleublancetrouge.ca/game-on/

38. Harditya says:

DEAL HAS BEEN REACHED.
    OH LORD HAS HAD MERCY ON US.
    I AM DYING TO SEE THE HABS. OLE OLE OLEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    OH I FEEL LIKE I AM ESCAPING FROM JAIL
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    LOCKOUT HAS ENDED OH THANK YOU BUDDHA
    OH THANK YOU TOOTH FAIRY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    GO HABS GO! GO HABS GO! WE’RE GOING TO SEE HOCKEY WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Y’all may have noticed I have uttered nary a syllable about Hick’s Midnight Fantasies tonight

…I’m rather proud of that

…though, biting My tongue is causing one Hell of a hemorrhage :)

40. commandant says:

I think many may have misunderstood me…. Louis Leblanc played a fantastic game tonight. He generated a ton of chances and was unlucky not to score one.

It happens with hockey players, and with teams…. when you are coming out of a slump, you create a lot of chances, and just can’t score at first… then they start going in and you are hot.

Same as the opposite, if you are hot, you get breaks you don’t deserve at the end of your hot streak. And then eventually you go into a slump.

Leblanc is working hard right now and finally seems to be overcoming his high ankle sprain. I think he’s gonna come around soon.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Wife is out watching a movie with a friend. Kid’s in bed. So…
    Timo just had a 12 oz rib eye rare, about 10 jumbo shrimp, finishing a bottle of French pinot noir… who gives a F about NHL?

Life’s good!

• SlovakHab says:

That’s cool. I am glad you are enjoying yourself.
      Also good to hear you will not be watching or commenting anymore now that the lockout is over.

42. habs001 says:

Markov so far in the Khl 19 games played 1goal 4 assists…18:55 ice time plus 4…

43. commandant says:

Bulldogs lose a heartbreaker in the shootout after that late goal against.

Kristo with a goal (GWG) and an assist for UND tonight.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think I agree with You

(Edit: this response was meant for McBozo down below suggesting Louis Leblanc should have finished His schooling at Harvard)

• Habfan10912 says:

Do you think his stint in Montreal last season might have slowed his development as well?

———————————–

• ooder says:

nope… i think his problem right now is that high ankle sprain, I remeber when Lucic had that and he was not the same player all season. that’s a tough injury.
        I don’t think playing a bit of games with the habs can affect someone in a negative way
        ——————
        The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I really think it is an individual thing about what is better, going the Canadian junior/AHL route or US college/university hockey

…My thinking is Louie had a scholarship to play hockey at Harvard …not many kids have such an opportunity, both for a prestigious degree from Harvard but as well the facility to play hockey and more slowly develop your strength, skills and maturity

…My gut says Louis should have stayed at Harvard a bit longer, especially seeing Him plateau at this time

…just My feeling

• commandant says:

The way Harvard works is that if you finish one year there, you have an open opportunity to return and finish your degree at any time… he merely loses his scholarship and would have to pay the tuition himself, but wouldn’t lose his acceptance or his ability to get that education after his hockey career.

If he can make the NHL and make millions, Harvard tuition and getting his education for his post career life will not be a major concern.

Leblanc can and should be playing in the AHL right now, its best for his hockey career.

As for his play, it will be fine, once he gets over the injury, and he is slowly doing so. And as I wrote above, he’s showing good signs.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mark C says:

Just to note, Ivy League schools do not give athletic scholarships.

45. Carta-Hab says:

A friend of mine told me that Ron Maclean and Jim Hughson were on the radio tonight and said that they have been given the green light to prepare for the NHL season. Has anyone else heard this? Looks like this fiasco may finally at an end.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

46. Habitant in Surrey says:

Heads up for BC Habs Fans:

Guy Lafleur Autograph Signings
    February 10th, starting 1:00 PM in Langley, BC

Pastime Sports & Games
    20378 Fraser Hwy., Langley, British Columbia

…this Facebook page features Henri’s gig, but scan down the page and You will note Guy Lafleur’s

…My Son and I just returned from Henri Richard’s autograph session in Surrey Central (wish I could have stayed for the VIP dinner in the Central City Brewery but My children are underage :( )

…when I mentioned My past associations with some of His former Team-mates, a quick drive-by autograph moment turned into a 10 minute conversation

…Henri and Jacques Plante were My boyhood Heroes …though a goalie in My playing days, I insisted wearing number 16 on the back

…I pissed a few of My former coaches off, but I insisted

…anyhow, I’m 65 now …Henri must be in His late-70s …but He brought Me back to My youth today

…this was the first-time ever asking for an autograph in My Life …and, I can tell You I’ve met some very prominent people over many years

…surprised to see My 17 year old son starstruck, and He had His sweater signed …right now He’s searching video on YouTube looking for anything on Henri Richard

…Life is a circle :)

47. ProHabs says:

Really hoping the union blows itself up. I would just like to see what the result would be for the owners and the players. Any body else feeling like this.

• Mark C says:

No one who enjoys NHL hockey wants to see this. If this things goes to the courts, it could take years before we see another NHL game.

• ProHabs says:

Don’t you think it would serve both sides right though. It would punish both sides for their greed. Me being a huge hockey, NHL and Habs fan is actually surviving just fine without NHL hockey.

• Mark C says:

No, I really don’t care about seeing owners and players punished for their greed. I only care about watching NHL hockey and rooting for the Habs. Life’s too short to be rooting for some sort of petty justice.

• ProHabs says:

You are a more forgiving person than I am Mark C. The selfishness shown by both sides disgusts me to no end.

• Mark C says:

You are really spending a Saturday night posting on Montreal Canadiens website, while hoping not to be able to watch them for years? Now, I just feel bad for you.

48. Bozo McBozo says:

That may actually be all you see out of Markov.

Rumour has it the league and the players are around 1.8M apart on the cap for next year. Why not saw it in half and have a cap of 63.4M next season.

Then there’s the issues of the length of a maximum contract and salary variance from year to year. Hey, NHLPA, who cares. We’re talking about 5% of the players in the league. You’ve already won the battle on entry level contracts and salary arbitration. Let guys like Kovalchuk, Parise and Weber fend for themselves. You don’t make 750 players lose a year’s salary just because of 30 ultra rich elite players who are on a par with movie stars and TV luminaries.

50. Ron says:

2-1 Dogs with 8 mins to go in 3rd. St Denis

51. ProHabs says:

And people yesterday wanted the team to use one of their buyouts on Markov. Ha.

52. Ron says:

Bulldogs and Monsters tied 1-1 after 2nd period.